Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    My guess is that the shop uses the same psi for all of their cars. most places I have gone to use 32psi unless you tell them otherwise.

I keep mine around 30, so that if I don't check them for a while there's less chance of them going below 26. I try to check between oil changes, but sometimes I forget. It's more comfortable to ride on 26psi, I guess, but underinflated tires are big safety concern. The overinflation pressure is well over 40psi, so I think I've got some good margin there.

ps - for the legal types - use this info at your own risk. This is not my recommendation. Check your owner's manual for proper inflation specs.
  • Options
    geenee87geenee87 Member Posts: 30
    RXISBEST>>>>>>>I have a roof rack and also have noticed the whistling at about 45 mph. It can be annoying. If you check on CR-V problems and solutions message board....someone posted that they took their cr-v to the dealer....the dealer reversed a part on the roof rack and then the whistling was gone. I haven't had time to get to the dealer yet, but I am going to try too. Let me know what happens with yours if you reverse something. I guess it is a commom problem with the way the roof rack is installed.
  • Options
    arkydogarkydog Member Posts: 50
    For what it's worth, I don't pay much attention any more to what manufacturers recommend for tire pressure, after getting burned 9 years ago with a brand new Japanese-made mini-SUV (Bridgestone tires). Manufacturer- and dealer-recommended pressure was 26 psi, which left me with cupped and totally ruined tires in less than 15,000 miles (I hassled the dealer about it for 4 months and they finally paid 1/2 my new tires).

Every tire store and mechanic I've been to recommends 30 - 35 psi for good wear and good mileage on tires. Since I don't care about a soft, squishy ride (after all, it's an SUV, right?), I've kept my last 2 good sets of tires at 32 - 35 psi, rotated them faithfully with every oil change, and they have given me over 80,000 mi. (rated 60,000). These are not fancy Michelins, either.

Just my $.02 worth.
  • Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Last night Motorweek had a special on alternative fuel vehicles, and on there I saw an AFV Crv. Anyone have more info on it? Thanks.
  • Options
    kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    can other 02 CRV owners tell me what cruising range in mile they got for a full tank of gas? My CRV's fuel indicator arm, for the previous 4 full tanks almost align with the red Empty position after 280-290 miles. I don't want to wait 'til the low fuel light turns on. My daily route is 50/50 in city and highway, and my CRV have 900+ miles now. Is this the cruise range other CRV owner getting? My previous car, 95 Taurus with 15-16 gal gas tank, had a cruise range of just 230 miles between refuelings when the low fuel light turned on.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    The low fuel indicator comes on with about 3 gallons left - at least, that is what I've found because I can never put the capacity of the tank when I fill up. I've been getting about 330 miles highway before I start getting concerned and about 260 miles city. But like I said, the most I ever put in the tank was 13 gallons.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Honda could use a bigger gas tank, I think it's 15.1 gallons capacity. The 5 speed EX gets 21/25 mpg so range is only so-so. Gas is pricey around me so it's just a matter of not having to refuel so often.

VW's new ads for the TDI tout it's range (about double the CR-V), and never even mention that they're diesels. I thought that was kind of interesting.

-juice
  • Options
    tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    I have a little over 9,000 miles on my V and the mileage is almost all in town but about 60% of that is interstate commuting. I never pay attention to the cruising range because I don't ever let the gauge get much below 1/4 of a tank. Just a personal phobia about fuel injectors but at least I am erring on the side of caution. However, after 9,000 miles I can tell you that I have averaged 23.7 MPG. I maintain detailed records of every purchase for gas, maintenance and other costs of ownership of all my vehicles. Edmunds can talk about the true cost of ownership all they want but I can tell you to the penny on my vehicles. That is the very reason I am a Honda man.

Usually get between 22.5 and 23.8 around town and made one trip of about 1000 miles and averaged around 27 MPG. My driving style is moderate around town and 75-80 on the interstate. All things considered I am very happy with the mileage on the V. I am sure I could squeeze a little better mileage out the V but then what good would that peppy little engine be?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I do that too (you'll be interested to know that I got 27.62754425 lifetime mpg in my '82 Tercel and that I changed my oil and filter on 5/24/89 on my old Voyager, LOL).

But most people don't do that, so the TCO tool can be a real eye-opener for those with no clue about how much it costs to own and maintain a car. Hopefully it'll be tweaked in future versions so we can put our own numbers in.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the info. The low fuel indicator should turn on when 2 gallons of gas remain, according to Honda. It needs a bigger gas tank for sure. Our 99 2.2L 4-cylinder Camry can go 400+ miles between refuels for the same daily routes(50/50 between city/Highway). We get 27-28 miles/gallon for average in normal weather condition.
  • Options
    crvnomadcrvnomad Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 CR-V EX AT with over 3000 miles.So far, I have averaged around 24mpg, 30% highway, 70% city. My 97 Accord got around 27mpg.
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    So I inspected the tire this morning, as you can see it was glass on the side. The best price I'm getting for a new one is $87 installed.

• Options
    rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    How would you get glass on the sidewall like that?
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    I basically parked at Kmart and when I came out... it was flat and there was a bunch of glass around the front tire. I must have hit a bottle or a large piece of glass and it flew up.
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Didn't know glass can do that, can you rule out knife ?
  • Options
    subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    i think u can rule out knife look at how the cut is kinda jagged
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    I ran over plenty of glass bottles in my life. They just get crushed, no scar on rubber. Maybe someone ran his car into those tires and those are headlight glass ?

Those ar deep wide cuts you'd think fem88 would know right away the car drops on the rims with a big whoosh.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's a shame, but that tire is now scrap for sure.

It's too little for insurance to cover, too.

-juice
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    From what I can see in the picture, you ran over something else that did damage to your tire and the glass was just along for the ride, so to speak.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I once had a VW bus and I stopped curbside. There was a bottle there and my tire broke it in such
    a way that the damage looked just like yours.Luck I guess.Beer drinkers have always thrown bottles
    out of cars.Why doesn't it come in plastic?
    The weirdest tire escapade was when I hit a pair
    of tin snips laying in the highway.My front tire
    caused them to open up and then my rear tire hit
    the open blade and whoosh A BLOWOUT.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    That looks pretty high on the sidewall for running over glass that was already broken. If I had to guess, I'd say that you hit the bottle while it was intact.

I used to drive in the city and frequently popped tires on road debris. However, the worst flat I've had was on the highway. I ran over a lag bolt while doing about 65 in the left lane during rush hour. I was in my wife's old Mazda 323 at the time. The bolt not only punctured the tire, but it also punched a whole in the steel rim!

There I was trying to change the tire on the left median (didn't have a chance to get over to the right) and the stupid tire wouldn't come off the car. I'd removed all the nuts and the tire was loose, but I couln't pull it off. Turns out the bolt had lodged itself behind the brake caliper and was holding it on. :-(
  • Options
    Went back to 26 psi,saw no improvement in mileage.As far as comparing it to an Explorer at 26 psi it may not be a valid because Ford used an ancient suspension design and compensated for it with softer tires .Still would rattle your teeth on bad roads. I like my CRV but would like more range which is about 250 miles before light comes on.Anybody tried a gadget called the TORNADO which inserts into the intake,I saw it advertised on TV? If it works why don't the
    manufacturers use it?
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    You answered your own question:

>If it works why don't the
    >manufacturers use it?

As to mileage, I run the OEM tires at 30 psi on my '99 EX 5spd. I average 25 mpg in daily driving (with includes some highway) and 28 mpg on extended highway trips. I drive within 5 MPH of the posted speed limits at all times.
  • Options
    maximxmaximx Member Posts: 9
    any idea how to tell your serial number when your vehicle was manufactured?
  • Options
    chayachaya Member Posts: 18
    Well thanks to everything I've read here (and my own lack of self control) I mega updated the stereo today, though I have to wait till Friday to get it installed (the senior tech is going out of town).

After swapping out a lot of CDs and going through a lot of speakers, the ones that sounded best in the range I could afford were the Boston Acoustic Pro components. The $1500 MT Quart speakers were incredible, but I'm still making car payments! I'm getting BA coax speakers for the back.

To power it all is a 4-channel Kicker amp, chosen because it will fit out of site under one of the front seats. I also decided to get full door Dynamat for both front doors, and they will use a switch to take the speaker-level outputs on the factory unit to make them RCA.

I can't wait!!! Thanks for all the info guys - it really helps to have some idea of what's going on before going to the store - especially if you are a woman.

csj
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    How about a black Cross pen through the tread and out the sidewall??
  • Options
    thecobles3thecobles3 Member Posts: 6
    well... i've been reading this site off and on for some time now, and i just wanted to let everyone know that I LOVE THE V!

i bought a 1998 when i graduated from medical school and i loved it to pieces! my only two complaints have been lack of get-up-and-go and the road noise. since i am graduating from residency in june, i decided that the 2002 just HAD to be my graduation present! i am so happy with my new purchase! in fact, since there is no longer a "hmmm... wish that was better," i will probably hand this down to my daughter when she turns 16 -- in 13 years! of course... maybe i'll just keep it :)

thanks for all of the info here in the postings. y'all made the decision that much easier!

btw -- my husband got a new liberty sport in 11/01 and we both agree that the v has more room and is better for the long family trips. his was more fun to drive than my 98, but my 02 wins the prize in my book!
  • Options
    piedrapiedra Member Posts: 15
    The 2002 CRV is our first new car in 12 years. I was never much for washin and waxin my cars so I'm pretty clueless about this. I just used soap, water, turtle wax(every few years), and armor all. I wonder what stuff is best to use to clean the interior and what is the best wax to use on the exterior? How frequently should I wax the car? Any cleaning items to avoid? Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Only use soaps made for cars, don't use dish soap or laundry soap.
  • Options
    onroadonroad Member Posts: 2
    What are you CRV owners out there getting in tire mileage. My '99 eats up tires after about 23,000 miles, regardless of rotation.
  • Options
    Use a car soap as TheRacoon directed. No abrasives! I've had good luck with Megiuars wax. It goes on easy and buffs without too much elbow grease.

I got 60K out of my stock treads.
  • Options
    As I've posted before, keeping my tire pressure under 30 psi destroyed them to cupping and uneven wear within 15,000 miles. I forced another 10,000 or so out of those before I got rid of them. Two more tire lifecycles on that mini-SUV and each one gave me about 20,000 more than tires were rated when I kept pressure between 32 - 35 psi and rotated every 3,000. I don't recommend pressure under 30 psi, no matter what the manufacturer says. I can't understand why Japanese cars come with this recommendation.
  • Options
    Arkydog - Better check your tire gauge. I run mine between 26-28 and get respectable mileage out of them. So have many others. If your tires were "cupping" at pressure below 30psi, I'd check the device you measured with.
  • Options
    goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    wax is great! They have a website if your interested, and a list of their stuff. There's all levels of products -- multistep or one step. For really outstanding results a multistep system can be used. There is something truly magically (to me, anyway) when the wax is spread over the freshly polished surface and then the wax is buffed off: Just a pure, deep gleam; You don't know what your paint really looks like until you get that pure deep gleam. Suddenly, all the work is worth it. I guaranty you'll be looking for the camera to take puictures of your vehicle once you've finished.
  • Options
    You get what you pay for.My last car an ACURA CL
    had 60k miles on it's Michelin MXV4 tires and lot's of tread left.They cost $150 each.I think
    the Bridgestone Duelers on my CRV will be lucky to go 40K miles and will cost about $80 each.The
    advantage to 15 inch wheels is they are more
    common thus cheaper to fit.When I replaced the tires on the CL I had to special order them cause
    they weren't a stock item.If you ever have a
    blowout far from home it is good to be able to get
    an exact replacement tire fast.Last year my wife
    ran over a bolt in the freeway and ruined a
    $150 tire on a new ACURA TL.At that point I got
    road hazard coverage on all my tires which replaces the damaged tire and is not prorated.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Actually, according to www.meguairs.com and www.mothers.com, the shine comes from the glaze/sealer/polish, not the wax. The wax is your paint's protection against the elements.

I just spent a good portion of the weekend using the Mother's 3-step wax system. on my car. It made a big difference! The shine is incredible! It definitely took a long time, but it was well worth it.

I'd recommend both Meguiar's and Mothers for store bought waxes. I know that there are some that you can only buy online that are supposed to work well, but I have no experience with them.

One thing I don't like is Armor-all. I've read way too many horror stories of people applying it and then their dash cracks when they don't re-apply it. Also, my friend put that stuff on his dash and it attracted dust like mad...and it made it stick too! I don't like a gleaming dash anyway...makes the glare on the windshield bad when it gets sunny out.
  • Options
    I hear ya -- only my gauge wasn't the only one reading tire pressure under 30 psi when the uneven wear disaster happened. Maybe this happens at 26 - 28 psi primarily with Bridgestones (which came with the car). I can't even blame vehicle weight -- my Suzuki is a very light, 3200 lb. mini-SUV (2WD). My new 02 CR-V is going to be heavier than that (4WD).

Glad you're getting respectable mileage running tires at less than 30 psi, but I'm not going to take the chance again, esp. when I'm getting 60K or better out of 40K and 50K rated tires running at 32 - 35 psi. Unless there's some compelling reason (other than a "soft" ride) to run them at such low pressure.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    My number one prime directive for washing: Avoid any use of brushes for cleaning painted surfaces due to scratching problems; I prefer using terrycloth wash mitts. (Sheepskin is even gentler, but they don't last very long in my experience.) Directions on wash/wax products are pretty reliable. I would emphasize drying the car in the shade with a cotton towel or chamois to avoid water spots (mineral deposits from tap water). I'll ditto all of protege_fan's comments above.

Regarding tires: My 2000 CR-V wore out the factory Dueler H/Ts after 30,000 miles. I strongly suspect, however, that this is due to my driving habits. I will say, however, that running them at 28 psi did not result in any uneven wear whatsoever. I'll ditto what varmint said above and add that a high-quality dial tire gauge will give you your money's worth; I have yet to find a "stick" gauge that I can trust.
  • Options
    trilliumstevetrilliumsteve Member Posts: 35
    I was surprised to see that some think that Armor-all is bad news for interior vinyl. I was planning to pour the stuff on my new CR-V -- I guess I will need to rethink this. Are there any other opinions about armor-all out there? How about on tires?
  • Options
    I use Meguiar's Endurance tire gel. It looks really great when you put it on. It says it lasts weeks, but I've only seen it last a few days at best.

For the dash, I know that there are products that have UV inhibitors and enrich the vinyl, as opposed to drying it out. I can't think of a specific product name off the top of my head though as I don't use the stuff.

For cleaning the dash, I just wipe it with a micro-fiber cloth. We don't get a ton of sun here in Calgary, and when it is blistering out, I use a windshield sun shade.
  • Options
    altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    What do you guys recommend for keeping the black bumpers and moulding looking new?
  • Options
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    I believe at one time armorall had alcohol in it and allegedly this caused cracking on vinyl dashes. The 02 CRV has a painted dash so I see no reason to use anything but water or a mild soap because cracking shouldn't be a problem. I don't want my dash shiny either, because, as stated it increases glare.
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    I use Turtle Wax extreme 2001 protectant and I like it alot. It doesn't shine like armore all...Im glad. It has uv protection for the plastic and rubber. So far so good. The trim actually made the black look richer.
  • Options
    Mother's makes product that I've used called "Back to Black". I had wax stains (white marks) on my door handles. The Back to Black worked and made the handles a shiny black...just like new! Be careful though. If you miss a spot, you will definitely notice it.

I'm sure there are other products that do this, but the Mother's product is the only one I've tried so far.
  • Options
    crvciviccrvcivic Member Posts: 11
    You post on Autopia forums? I've noticed a few have been posting over here too. I post as CRV over there. The CMA stuff is the best, I've been converted to Klasse for about a year. At risk of being off topic, Mother's clay, Klasse two step, and Meguiar's FI have been a winning combo. Vinylex for the rubber. Can't wait to get rid of the Duellers, I like the sidewall appearance of the BFG's much better. Sam's club $75 bucks each. I've had the Touring TA's on another car and liked them very much.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I thought we had a topic about Armor-All, 303, etc., but I don't see it off-hand. All I can find are the Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) and the Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2) discussions.

(I'm big on deferred maintenance but I do like 303 Protectant).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    I haven't actually signed up for the Autopia forums. I've done plenty of reading over there though :D

When I do sign up, my name will be something like Pro_fan or something. It's nice to see people around on different forums :)

I don't really like mail-ordering, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about klasse. I think I may have to bite the bullet and try.

Steve_host: I think the best forum for information on car care products is the "Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts)" forum here on TH. However, it's really difficult for new users to know to go there to get that kind of info.
  • Options
    chayachaya Member Posts: 18
    Got this sponge in an outlet store two weeks ago - you don't use it wet with water, but whatever it has it in, it doesn't dry out either. It gobbles up the dust, and the instructions say to wash it out with water when it gets too much dust. So far that hasn't been an issue.

The real reason I like it is that I can leave it in the car - see a little dust, get it off and I don't have to make a big production out of cleaning.

csj