Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    gatorgreggatorgreg Member Posts: 91
    jquant, here's a couple pics of my Alpine head unit. Sorry for the low quality pics, they're from a camcorder. For details on my setup, click HERE

• Options
    surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    Took my 2002 crv-ex to dealer for fix rocking seat according to Honda TSB. All went well the seat has no rocking at all. They told me they cracked the large round knob that lowers the front seat. I could not see the crack. They said they ordered the part and it would be in soon. I really like my dealer (they could of said nothing and I would not have known) anyway Guess i will go back to get the knob fixed. This gives me an excuse for looking at the new Civic SI with the racing seat and shifter on the dash. Missed my car a lot and I was without it only a day.I am enjoying this car more every day. Hope the seat stays fixed. Mark
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I park in my garage so there is no reason to
    lock my doors but sometimes they lock themselves.
    It must be because the remote is in my pocket
    and the lock button gets bumped (too sensitive).
    Is there any way to disable self locking.I just
    found it in my owners manual.If you don't open a
    door within 30 seconds after unlocking it will
    relock.Whoever thought up this!Weird!Trying to
    idiot proof cars again.
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Just wondering I have a baby car seat in the back seat,when I went to clean the car I removed the car seat I notice the rear seat where the baby car seat was is damaged from the car seat,Is that covered under the warr.I had this same car seat in my other car for 2yrs and no damage whats the problem is it sheap seats? And one more thing the drivers side visor when put all the way down to cover sun light flops down by its self don't know about this honda 2002CR-V EX.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I'm sure your dealer can fix the visor, it might be as simple as tightening a screw somewhere. Sorry, I don't have any experience with car seats, but what kind of damage do you have now? I would think that seat wear a properly secured car seat should be treated the same as seat wear from a passenger.
  • Options
    quark9quark9 Member Posts: 5
    My EX 5-speed will be arriving next week. Considering the ignition-immobilizing system, do you all think I should spring for an alarm system anyway? If so, shall I have Honda install it? (we got one in our '98 Civic; didn't occur to us not to.) And what do you think of the VIN etching - I believe the windows are already etched, their deal is $149 to register it for 5 years. Consumer Reports doesn't seem to think much of it. Do you? For the record, we live in a small southern New England city and the car will be parked, for the most part, on a wide, quiet street.
  • Options
    elisthornelisthorn Member Posts: 15
    Thanks Mark for the update. I've printed out all the good info to take with me to Honda dealer soon. Glad you got your seat fixed! Wish me well. Elisa
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...IMHO are a great idea and makes tremendous sense. My 98 Accord and 00 Ody are the same way.

What if when you pick you keys in your pocket at the airport just before your week long trip and accidently unlock your doors? Isn't it nice that your CRV isn't sitting open the entire time you are away?
  • Options
    Hey--I checked my VIN and the last 6 numbers are 038039, so who knows. I'll keep you posted after I get EX into shop in near future. Thanks!
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    IMO, I don't think it's worth the money. It's almost exactly like insurance really. You pay this fee for them to put your etched number into a database. If your car is stolen, you're still without a car. I think they usually have some "benefits" like a loaner, etc. but so do some insurance policies.

They also try to say it is a theft deterent. Well, like you said, your windows are already etched. How is a car thief gonna know who's car is registered or not?

Just my $.02
  • Options
    arkydogarkydog Member Posts: 50
    Hey, Onelife: Thanks for the tip about the dealer in Okla. I checked out their site, e-mailed, phoned, and just put a deposit down on a 2002 CR-V! They quoted me a 5-spd LX for $18,516 (on order). I know you ordered your LX, too. Was it an automatic? This may account for the price difference, since 5-spd is more expensive. Anyway, just wanted to send a big GRIN your way.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    5 speed is more expensive? Did you add side airbags?
  • Options
    warren19warren19 Member Posts: 28
    Window etching is a scam. DON'T get it!
  • Options
    warren19warren19 Member Posts: 28
    Extended warranty on a Honda, rustproofing, under coating, window etching are all a waste of money IMO.
  • Options
    acor2acor2 Member Posts: 16
    i started etching my own windows with the VIN over 10 years ago, bought an etching pen from a catalog. one of my cars was broken into, but never stolen. AND have saved 5% on my insurance premiums ever since....
  • Options
    Your insurance company recognizes your personal etching as a deduction? I find that odd!
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    Mine is 46 thousand something. How noticable was the rocking for you. Mine is slight. I can similate it by pushing up with my legs...But if I raise the seat up a fraction higher, I noticed it less. For me it seems the seat back is the culprit. Does your seat backs move to? I'm confused about what to do. Its not that bad, but then if they will make it right why not get it fixed. I will wait for your post. thanks.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The 5 speed costs more than that auto because it only comes with AWD.

Most Ody owners recommend extended warranties. The CR-V has been more reliable, though.

The new Accord looks promising. Availability of an AWD wagon even better. Too late for us, but we would definitely have considered it. In fact, the Honda salesman showed us a similar sketch of a sedan.

The manual tranny drain plug on my Miata and our old 626 were both at the bottom of the tranny tunnel case thingy (pardon my technical jargon!). Drive it up on ramps. You should find a drain plug on the bottom side, and a filler plug up farther, on one of the sides, at least if it's like our Mazdas.

Remove both to drain, then replace just the drain plug. Use an oil pump or feed tubing down into the filler hole, and add oil until it begins to spill. Then replace the filler plug.

If you have AWD I would do the rear diffy at the same time. It's actually much easier to do.

I'm guessing 75w90, but check. Also check the capacity, because the Miata took only 2 quarts, the 626 took 4, but I know my Subie takes almost 10 quarts.

-juice
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Netx time get your tires at Wal-Mart. For $9.76 you get mounting, balance, new stems, life time rotation, and life time road hazard. I just got a set of Michelin X-ones for $474 out-the-door.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Look for a round plug with a square in the middle of it the size of the end of a 3/8" ratchet and use the ratchet to remove the plug. It's right under the engine where the tranny dip stick is.
  • Options
    I just ordered a 2002 LX 5-spd from a non-local dealer (about 1500 mi. away). He recommended that I buy any accessories I might want (e.g., retracting cargo cover, exterior cladding, cargo tray, etc.) direct from the Honda website. Given how much my local dealers mark up Honda products, I'm considering it, esp. if I want the cladding, which is several hundred $$$. What do you guys think?

I am planning to have my windows tinted locally and would like to add something distinctive, but not too expensive (a narrow side stripe, maybe?), to my exterior sides, so that I can pick my car out of the sea of dark red mini-SUVs out there. Any ideas? Is this something I can have done locally or am I better off having a local dealer take care of it (I am not fond of local Honda dealers)? Do-it-yourself is not an option.
  • Options
    Varmint: No, I did not order side airbags on the LX 5-spd. As Ateixiera noted, Honda only offers the 5-spd with AWD, which is more expensive than 2WD. I'd have preferred 2WD w/ 5-spd. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have any typical 4WD problems with gas mileage or maintenance on these new, improved AWD Hondas.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    Congrats on your soon to own crv. I have the EX auto in silver and had the cladding installed by the dealer. After reading the install instructions, I decided I did not want to do it myself. You might want to look at them before making a decision.
    I think the cladding looks great on the silver - have not seen it on the red.
  • Options
    crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    can anyone post a picture of there silver V with the cladding..I have the front guard and foglights added on mine. Just want to see one with the cladding.
  • Options
    Did you buy your accessories direct from Honda or through your dealer? Which is cheaper? The EX comes with a cargo cover, but I'm going to have to buy mine separately. Cladding would be cool, too, if I can swing it. With the $$$ I saved buying from the Okla. dealer, maybe I can!
  • Options
    Anyone: How much will it cost to have my new CR-V shipped from near Tulsa OK to a dealer in Atlanta GA? I don't live there, but I figure it will be cheaper to ship it there and pick it up, than to have it shipped to my home city in SC.
  • Options
    I got the cladding from the dealer - he charged a little more than what I could buy it from handa-accessiories.com (or similiar sites) so I thought it was worth it to have them install and be covered under warranty (which I needed cause the driver's door piece slipped interfering with door opening), but normally it is much cheaper to buy from one of these sites that sell Honda accessories if you can do the work yourself.
    Generally direct from Honda will also be more expensive than these others - I'm sure there are others here that could list all these web sites.
    Don't think the EX comes standard with cargo cover - mine didn't and don't remember seeing that listed anywhere as standard.
  • Options
    crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    none of the 02 v's come with a cargo cover.. shop the site and give them a call for a better price.. It is very easy to install, in less then 5 minutes.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    So I was pretty excited today when the tracker kit arrived this morning!!! Yahooo...

One problem tho.....

The screws suck!!! You can't screw them in all the way I will take a picture tomorrow or something so you can see what I am talking about. Now I have to go to the Honda dealer to have them remove the stinking stripped screws!!!
  • Options
    altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    What maintenance and gas mileage problems are associated with the '02 4wd? Did I miss something?
  • Options
    luv2motorluv2motor Member Posts: 25
    Well, 7,000+ miles and I'm happy to report that all is well with the '02 CR-V. No rocking seats, streaked rear windows or mysterious holes appearing in the dash.
    The CR-V is a happy mini suv that looks good and performs well. If I had to report something on the negative side, I would have to say that we're a little dissapointed with the actual mpg's we're getting. At best, suburban shuttles, light on the pedal, back and forth, 20-21 mpg. Highway, best we recorded was 25 mpg. The dealer assured me that we could stretch it out to 30 mpg. highway. Maybe later as more miles are logged, but I don't think so.
    When tires need replacing, we're doing what "gatorgregg" (I think) did to his V. and put on those nice Michelins!!
    But all in all, very satisfied.
    P.S. Still can't figure out how to post a picture!
  • Options
    subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    u think 20-21 mpg is bad? when i had my 98 CRV i only got 18 mpg on average
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    mikefm58 May 16, 2002 10:30am

As a matter of fact, you don't even need to buy the tires at Wal-Mart to benefit from their tire maintenance. My choice of upgrade tires (Bridgestone Dueler H/L) was not sold at Wal-Mart. I bought them from tirerack.com and brought them to my local Wal-Mart. For $12.75/tire, I got them mounted with lifetime balance and rotation. With a treadwear rating of 460, I look forward to saving myself the hassle of many rotations in the future.

You can even opt to purchase the lifetime balance and rotation for the tires that come on your brand new CR-V. I did this for the factory-installed tires on my SO's car for $7.50/tire.
  • Options
    Since I've never had a Honda, I don't know if there will be any problems. My current mini-SUV (93 Suzuki Sidekick 5-spd)was supposed to be "nothing special" in the gas mileage department, but I've always been very pleased with it (23-25 mpg town, 27 - 32 mpg highway).

By comparison, the advertised mpg ranges for the 02 CR-V, as well as what I'm reading from the posts here, are pretty paltry at 20-21 mpg town, 25 mpg highway. Heavier body 4WD usually costs even more gas mileage, plus it used to be a risk for costly maintenance problems -- may not be the case any more for AWD, I don't know.

That's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best by maximizing my actual mpg and sticking with a 5-spd. If anybody has gotten better than 21 mpg town, 25 mpg highway, esp. with 5-spd, I'd sure like a ray of hope.
  • Options
    Dumb question: What or who is MR?
  • Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    www.markroberts.com
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    recently made 2500 mile trip. mpg @80+ =19.8 to 24.8, after hitting deer we slowed to 60-70 then got 28-31 mpg. Air pressure in the DuelerH/T's was set at 36psi they are max rated at 44psi. Still in shock, around $5K damage see pic at: http://hometown.aol.com/rockycow/myhomepage/photo.html

still havent figure out how to post pictures on this site like the gator even with the info provided, wonder if it is aol? or I'm technochallenged. Will post other trip comments when I recover
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

[img src="http://members.aol.com/rockycow/myhomepage/p5160754.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US"]

Major bummer about the sheetmetal. (Does the pic show up for everyone else here, or is it just cached on my local computer?).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    jheiljheil Member Posts: 30
    I was looking at the rear of our '02 CR-V and noticed the top of the left rear tire was tilted inward compared to the right. There is only 3,000 miles and could not see any unusual wear.

Today this got a bit stranger. I saw a pre '02 CR-V and noticed the same thing. I took out a level and measured ours and parked on level ground the top of the tire is slanted inward. I did factor in the bulge of the tire and just measured along the wheel.

Just thought I would see if anyone else noticed this before I took it to the dealer which is 100+ miles away.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
  • Options
    kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    AAAHHH! Your baby!
  • Options
    surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    I got 27/mpg on my 5-speed crusing taking it easy.
    mostly highway.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    The rear tires are adjusted for camber to improve cornering stability, the "top" of the tire is closer to the center of the vehicle than the "bottom". I belive the tilt angle should be similar left and right, but it's very tough to judge unless you're on perfectly level ground, because the car will lean slightly to the downhill side.

so, the tilt is normal, but if right and left are significantly different on level ground, it might need a camber adjustment.

Good luck
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Thanks for posting the pic of my CRV which had 3100 miles on it when Bambi decide to go to the happy hunting ground.
    rockycow-PS air bags did not deploy thankfully
  • Options
    If I needed my EX crv towed, would it be okay to have the tow truck hook up from the rear? I saw a SUV (not the crv) being towed that way. I know with 4WD you are not supposed to tow from the front and Honda recommends using a flat bed, but if one is not available, would it be okay to tow it that way?
  • Options
    I thought that FWD cars are supposed to be towed with the front tires (the drive wheels) in the air? But since the CR-V uses real-time 4WD, how does towing work??
  • Options
    phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    Heard reference to your sharp Michelins. What model & size did you get? Does tire cover fit on rear? Are they quieter than Dueller HL's? What other advantages?
  • Options
    The rocking is quite noticeable. My boyfriend, who could barely hear my previous creaking noise on acceleration, even felt it. It is annoying to me. Yes, I think the seat back may be the real culprit, or maybe I'm feeling both. Did you read mdmoma's message, that the seat was replaced and is working well now? (Thanks mdmoma.) I'm taking car in to dealer 5/22. Will let you know.
  • Options
    gatorgreggatorgreg Member Posts: 91
    Hey phillyguy3, the tires are Michelin LTX M/S in size 225/70-15. Tire cover does not fit. I think they are quieter. Advantages: They go a long way towards diffusing the CR-Vs sport-cutey image IMO. Even the lowly Kia comes with bigger tires (205/75-15 I think) than the 'V. You also gain about a half inch of ground clearnace and have better traction in mud and snow. The 'V just feels more trucky (in a good way if that's possible) when you drive it. They are OEM on the LX 470, Land Cruiser, QX4, and an OEM upgrade for the 4Runner, so I assume this means they are one of the better (and quieter) SUV tires. Disadvantages: No tire cover, speedo reads slow, and they cost an arm and a leg. There is probably a bit of a loss in acceleration performance, but not much. I assume city mileage suffers while highway mileage improves but I haven't tracked my mileage.
    Here's a pic of my 'V with the tires on, if you scroll up the last couple of weeks you should see lots more (I'm sure everyone is getting sick and tired of seeing pics of my 'V and reading about the tires). You can also click HERE for more pics and info (I hope you have a cable modem :):):)).

• Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Follow the recommendations in your owners manual for having your CR-V towed. There are specific instructions in the manual based on whether you have FWD, RT4WD, 5 spd, or automatic.

Good luck!