Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    frenchieefrenchiee Member Posts: 11
    Just got my 2002 crv 5sp. Love it but it doesn't have armrests like the automatics. I drive about 90 miles a day on the highways and miss it. Can you buy them as an aftermarket thing for the 02's.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    I received an email concerning this - will be offered to the general public May 13th - stated only people who got email could order before May 13th.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/parts/importcrv.htm

• Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Helping out the parents with a CR-V purchase. Looking at 22,060 for a EX with automatic without any additional options. I've seen the MSRP on this vehicle range from 21,900 to 22,700 depending what online/dealer I've been to.

I'm a used car buyer, so paying near MSRP rubs me the wrong way. How much lower are new CR-Vs going for? Thanks!

-B
  • Options
    arkydogarkydog Member Posts: 50
    I have been waiting for over 6 mos. now for CR-V supplies to increase and prices to get softer so I can buy my new CR-V. Neither is happening. Dealers in my area have gone from wanting $1000 over their invoice to now asking MSRP + $1000, even after negotiation! Ridiculous. I have called Honda dealers within 400 mi. of me with no luck. I have paid AAA car-buying service to find me what I want (manual requires that I buy 4wd EX)as a fleet buy, still no luck.

I live in SC. Does anyone know of any Honda dealers in the Southeast that are making sense about prices, or is Honda just doling out the 2002 CR-Vs like special Christmas toys and happily letting dealers get MSRP+ just "because they can"? I've read some posts that indicate plentiful cars and selling prices of $300 over invoice elsewhere in the US (where, oh where is that dealer?).

I really needed a new car back in December. Mine won't last much longer, I liked the drive of the new CR-V, I've test-driven everything and done my homework, and I can't find a better mini-SUV with so many extras listed as standard. Please tell me there is a reasonable dealer out there somewhere! Thanks.
  • Options
    kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone notice a problem with the fuel indicator? I have close to 760 miles now on my 02 CRV. For the past 3 trips to the gas station when the fuel indicator pointed near to the empty line, my CRV trip meter showed 230(+/-)miles. But low fuel warning light did turn on. Every times I could put in just 10 gal. of gas, which gave me 23 miles per gal. The owner manual indicates CRV has a 15.3 gal gas tank. Honda service agent told me the warning light comes on when the gas tank has less than 2 gal. Anyon has the same problem I've experienced?
  • Options
    macky02crvmacky02crv Member Posts: 2
    My dealer at Greenville, SC have 11 of them in stock. They have the AWD EX on sale for $21,888. Try to visit their website @ http://www.breakawayhonda.com
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Kentwong - This is what I've been told.

This is the result of a new type of fuel sensor. The light comes on when the needle reaches empty. Or it comes on the first time it detects low fuel, AND it stays on. Have you ever driven around a tight corner and noticed that the low fuel indicator came on? A minute later the light would go out. This is because the fuel sloshed around in the tank and gave a false reading. If this happened to a new CR-V, the light would stay on.
  • Options
    arkydogarkydog Member Posts: 50
    Thanks, Macky02crv. I'm checking Greenville out now. They've already taken 2 cars off their inventory since you sent me the message!

Anybody else know of southeastern US dealers with CR-V inventory (2002 demo and/or new) and willingness to sell below MSRP? Thanks.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Technically, MD is south of the Mason Dixon line, so the quote I got from invoicedealers.com (Sport Honda) was $21,500 for a 5 speed EX.

-juice
  • Options
    tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    fasteddie - I had this urge to find out the top speed of my cars a few times when I drove on an open freeway and a packet of cars driving pass me really fast. I hope you don't go over 100mph very often ;) Thanks for the info on the visor. My wife wanted one, I guess I will wait. I do have a hood guard installed, but the way it mounted doesn't not put a lot of force on the paint, so I guess I am ok. BTW, the hood guard is by far the most useful accessory for me. I noticed less bugs got on my windshield and I think it protects the hood/window from stone chips as well(before that I had 2 small stone chips on my hood in only 2 months).

jquant - the side step looks great. If I have a choice I want one in polished stainless steel. Too bad Honda doesn't make one.

juice - We actually have 4 cars. I have an 9 yr old Corolla still running great. It is actually my work horse on days over 100 deg and bad weather. Lately I have been driving the V a lot :) The VR6 is nice, but it is AT. My friend has a stick shift Golf VR6. This is MUCH nicer!

gatorgreg - love your dvd system!
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Trilliumsteve: Yes, the S and T refer to speed ratings. My 2000 EX maxes out at 104 mph (had to try it once <GRIN>) and thus is OK with "S" rated tires. The Tire Rack (see ad on left hand side) website has more info on this topic; "T" tires are rated for up to 118 mph.

frenchiee: Are you implying that a 2WD CR-V would do better in the sand? :-)

Seriously, the CR-V's Real-Time 4WD itself is great on the sand; that system is not an issue. Just last month another CR-V owner and I were on the beach, traversing many of the same dunes as a Jeep Wrangler. What WILL get the CR-V in possible trouble are (1) the stock tire size (fatter tires would help the vehicle "float" on top of the soft dunes) and (2) deficient approach/departure angles and ground clearance. Of course, keep in mind that I'm using the Wrangler as a point of reference. :-)

By the way, the picture you saw was taken at Quintana Beach in Texas. That particular location has no dunes and poses no real challenges to ANY vehicle. On the weekends there you'll find SUVs, pickup trucks, minivans, Saturn coupes, old station wagons . . . get the idea? <GRIN>
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    I just ordered the bug deflector from collegehills to. I am glad it worked for you. No I haven't gone real fast...yet ;) I only have 800 miles on it. If anyone else notices the slight indentation from the visor let us know. Maybe the paint is not cured enough. My first long trip is next weekend to Pineview Resort in Indiana for a weekend of golfing and guy stuff ;D. Do you guys do anything to prevent the bugs from imbedding themselves into the radiator?
    Thanks
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I have had my V for over 2 months and paid msrp
    but the propack plus cargo tray was free.Out of curiosity I looked at some of the local dealers on the internet and they list their price at $25800.I have never had a car go up in value.Are they serious?It does not make sense to have 6
    cars in inventory and have them sit there for days
    because you are asking too much.But then what do I know about the car business?
  • Options
    piedrapiedra Member Posts: 15
    Picked up our new CRV three weeks ago and have about 1500 miles on it. We live in SW Colorado and have driven throughout the mountains and over 11,000 ft passes. The power is fine. It has plenty of power with my wife, me, and luggage in the car. I can pass vehicles @70-80mph when needed. I mention this as I've read conerns about power....I have none. Maybe if you did primarily freeway driving you'd have conerns, I don't know. All aspects of the vehicle are great. One question though, I got two very small chips in the paint..not dents or scratches. Is the touch up paint Honda sells adequate to take care of this? Is there any special prep? By the way, we paid MSRP. If I wanted to pay less then sticker, to satisfy my ego, re: getting a deal, I could have bought a Ford, Hyndai, etc.....This board has been very informative. Thanks for all the info.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Touch-up paint will do the trick if the chips are small. Just be sure to not use the brush that comes in the bottle. What I've done is bought a fine paint brush and use that to apply the touch-up paint.

I've also heard that using the end of a paper match works well.
  • Options
    Piedra - Honda does sell touch-up paint. Clean the area. Sand it with a very fine sandpaper, if necessary. Then apply in thin coats.

If anyone ever needs more than just a touch-up, you can try paintscratch.com

• Options
    chefschefs Member Posts: 16
    Did you add or remove any parts when you chance your new tires? Is there any problem on hitting the fender ( inside and outside )when you run into a small pot hole? How far is the clearance of your spare tire with the back door? Do you mine posting a side view picture of the spare tire? Where can I buy the hard cover for the larger tire if I decided to chance my tire next week? THANK YOU AGAIN.
  • Options
    dukeguydukeguy Member Posts: 3
    I live in Durham, NC. I got it from Oxford--BOYD HONDA.
  • Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Anyone know what the invoice price for the cargo tray is? Thanks.
  • Options
    surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    I would like to get an inverter for my new 2002 crv-ex. What size or wattage should I get?I don'twant to draw too much from the electrical system.Is there a resource that explain the different types. any help appreciated. Mark
  • Options
    kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    Hi CR-V guys. If any of you had the decision, would you go for a CR-V or a Pilot? It would have to be a Honda, because we have a goood mechanic around here. It would be used mostly for commuting (35 miles daily round trip), and family trips/outings with it would be interchanged between it and a 2000 Sienna. It would be a replacement for a 1987 Accord, which could be biting the dust at anytime. It would mostly be driven by a male in his mid-forties (no, not me).
  • Options
    In this comparison, the Pilot's strengths should be more passenger, cargo, and towing capacity. To me it looks redundant since you already have a minivan. On the other hand, the CR-V will have the money advantage; it should be cheaper to buy and cheaper to own.
    By the way: Why not replace the old Accord with a new Accord? (The answer to this question may provide some insight to your original question.)
  • Options
    With the Sienna already on hand, I think the Pilot is unecessary. The CR-V would make a good vehicle to compliment the minivan. Enough space that you don't have to plan your day around which car you are driving, yet it works as both a family hauler and a commuter car.
  • Options
    crv202crv202 Member Posts: 7
    I've had my 2002 Black CRV for 6 weeks now. On the way home from the dealer the car shifted into neutral while still in drive, with the check engine light coming on. The car went back to drive in less than 30 secs. Brought it back and dealer said it was a computer problem. No problem since that first day. Yesterday, the drivers side rear tire sidewall blew out. The sidewall cracked
    and the tire went flat in less than a minute. Fortunately I was going 30 MPH but just prior was on a bridge going 60 MPH. I'm going back to the dealer on Monday but my wife wants to get new Michelins like the ones on our 96 Accord . We know all about the Firestone tires that failed on the Explorers. Am planning to go to Costco on Tuesday to get new Michelins for our new CRV. Question is: What type tire to get? We don't go off road and don't like how pebbles get caught in the present tires and get flicked off and hit the underside of the car. We just need a quiet, all season tire like the Michelins' on the 96 Accord.
  • Options
    crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    on the v my buddy is a mechanic for honda and he said a memo came out from honda regarding the road noise from the bridgestone tires.. He said they (honda) states use 26psi instead of the 32psi. (Ford did this with the Explorer and the tires had a problem.) Did anyone here about this from there dealer.
  • Options
    crv139: I don't recall 32 psi ever being an officially recommended inflation pressure for the CR-V with stock tires. Even at 30 psi, the ride over uneven pavement starts getting too stiff for my liking. I have settled on 28 psi as my preference.

crv2002: Based on what you say you want, I think your vehicle is indeed a good candidate for Michelin passenger tires. The top-of-the-line X-Ones have found a home on many a CR-V.

If I may inject an impromptu PSA here: Don't neglect your tires. Today, while our family was gathered for Mothers Day, someone pointed out that my sister's Civic looked a bit flat. I brought out my gauge, and sure enough, the two rear tires and the spare registered less than 10 psi each . . . yikes!!! (The fronts were only a bit low at 25 psi.) Fortunately, I always keep a 12V compressor onboard my car as well, so the problem was fixed promptly.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    Hi, I've been a lurker for a while, but wanted to share some info about tire pressure, since it looks like it may be an issue for some new owners here. My CRV was delivered with tire pressure higher than the maximum recommended on the tire sidewall. Reducing it to Honda's recommended levels made a huge difference in handling and road noise.

Another CRV in the family was also delivered with the same pressure, about 46 psi, if I remember correctly. Driving on tires inflated over the recommended psi is very dangerous, as is driving on underinflated tires.

I would recommend that everyone taking delivery of a new CRV bring a tire gauge and check their pressure before driving off the lot, and everyone who has already taken delivery to check them asap.
    Thanks for the good info!
  • Options
    mam9mam9 Member Posts: 31
    Well, we put a La-z-boy recliner in the back of Rosebud this weekend (and that was standing upright!). I measured to make sure it would fit lying down, but didn't have to. Plenty of room left for assorted boxes 'o stuff and other small items.

Have I said I love this car?
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    For anyone considering tires, Consumer Reports rated SUV and All Season Car tires in their November, 2001 issue (s/b available at your public library) starting on page 61. It gives an indication of what a particular tire will do for you on the road and what to expect to spend for the tire. There is also a sidebar on interpreting the information or codes on the side of the tire. FWIW--danandkat
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    I've had my '02 EX auto for about 2 months. Thought I would give some impressions -

1. Rides great on any surface except really rough road.
    2. More than enough power.
    3. Fit and finish are superb.
    4. No issues with some of the reported problems.
    5. 'Jerky' shifting has 'worked' itself out with more mileage or I've become accumstomed to it - dealer found nothing wrong.
    6. Need more legroom up front - there is no good place to put left driver's foot.
    7. Armrests should be longer and wider.
    8. Door armrests need to be padded better and wider - not so much open space.
    9. Stereo is quite good - better than some cars I've had.
    10. Front seats need something - maybe lumbar support - can become tiring on long drive.
    11. Really like the way it looks in front - when I see one in the rearview mirror I think to myself here comes a nice looking SUV. Don't really care for taillights though - need to be shorter.
    12. Plenty of room for passengers, camping equipment.
    13. Was concerned about tires but have found they do not generate noise except on really rough/bad roads. Probably will go with Michelin's when the OEM Bridgestones wear out however.

Overall, best car I've ever owned.

There is a rattle that has just started up above the driver's area - not the sunglass holder - possible in the visor or surrounding area. Have not been able to pinpoint it. Does anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    I know most of you are owners, so you probably haven't experienced this yet...

In my Parent's '02 CR-V LX, my girlfriend and I were sitting in the rear passenger seats (neither of us in the middle seat) and did up our seatbelts. When I put the seatbelt on, I found that I couldn't lean forward at all; I was actively being held back by the seatbelt. My girlfriend found this quite amusing as she could lean forward with no troubles. This restraining happened throughout the entire drive, whether or not my dad had his foot on the brake or if he was driving normally.

After a quick stop, we got back into the exact same seating arrangement, but this time I had no troubles with my seatbelt, but my girlfriend couldn't lean forward now.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is this a problem? I know that this is not how the seatbelts should work, as it does not on any car they've owned and does not happen in my Protege.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Honda's CR-V gets five stars; otherwise, you've likely seen the story

(guess it took a few weeks for this "old" news to get down there, but a nice tie-in with the jumper story last week).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Robmarch - Tires are intentionally overinflated prior to shipping. This helps to prevent flat-spotting. Part of the dealer prep is to reduce the tire pressure. Many forget to do it.
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Racheting seatbelts will do this. It is normal.
  • Options
    It didn't feel like it was normal. I was stuck in place. No amount of pulling would make them come forward. Why would one do this and the other not? And then, why would they switch? Maybe it was normal, but it was certainly annoying. Imagine not being able to lean forward even an inch. Not comfortable. I should also mention that I tried retracting the seatbelt and then put it back on numerous times. This did not help.

I've also sat in the front passenger seat and had no troubles in that seat from the seatbelt.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    My fathers Saab 95 is like that in the front seats! It is so annoying at first, the seatbelt gets tighter and tighter on you and the only way to loosen it up is to unlatch it. It means your seatbelt is safe,,, NOT UNSAFE.

The seatblet mechanisms are sensitive to movement and tension, and their is certainly randomness in them.
  • Options
    newcarbuyer02newcarbuyer02 Member Posts: 2
    I am close to Boyd Oxford, but I know a guy selling a 2002 used silver CRV EX used for 20,500.

He bought it 3 mos ago and wants a pick-up truck. It has 3,000 miles on it. Do you think that this is a good deal?

It's tough finding pricing on a used 2002 CRV. What do you think a good deal would be?

Please help!
  • Options
    Sounds like it is normal...and annoying. I know my Pro's seatbelts restrain me if you come to an abrupt stop, but not while I'm just driving normally. Thanks again for your input, guys. :D
  • Options
    Yep. There are times when you can trick the ratcheting mechanism into locking unnecessarily. It usually depends on how tight you pull the belt across when you fasten it. You should be able to release it my allowing it to take up some slack. Sometimes that's tough to do, if you already have it wrapped around you pretty tightly! =)
  • Options
    The seatbelts have auto locking retractors (ALRs). If you pull them all the way out, they lock when they retract. This is so you can get child seats in tight.

To unlock, just retract them all the way. Next time, don't pull them all the way out, and they won't lock. So only pull out enough belt to get it around you.

muckyduck: it just needs a better deal pedal. I felt the same way about the Odyssey.

-juice
  • Options
    freeberfreeber Member Posts: 116
    (guess I type too slow....)

If you pull the seatbelt out all the way, you will experience this ratcheting that won't let loose until you completely retract the belt, otherwise, the system should perform like any other system and lock up after a quick braking. If you had the belt SUPER tight, it may not have been able to release the lock due to the tension.

For those of you with kids, this is a very handy feature for the car seat. After you have buckeled the seat in, pull the belt out from the retractor all the way and then feed it back in while pressing back on the carseat. This gives you as much rigidity in the mounting as possible and won't loosen up.
  • Options
    Yep, I just wanted to relate my experiences that the dealers forget to do it, and that the tires were actually inflated above the maximum pressure marked on the tire. Makes me wonder how many of the other things that were checked off as "done" on the pre-delivery inspection sheet were actually done.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the CRV. It's my wife's car, an EX auto, and I've been pleasantly surprised at the power and smoothness of the engine. Power is very good at highway speeds too. Ride quality is very good, and the space inside is large and flexible. The stereo is very good, also. The back seat is very comfortable for 2, and still pretty good with 3 adults. I think the flat floor helps here.

Though I enjoy sportier cars for backroad driving, I think the CRV is a very capable total package that is still pretty rewarding to drive in any situation. I have a hard time thinking of a more practical, safe, roomy, economical, reliable vehicle for under $25k.

I guess you can subtract roomy and add sporty, and you've got the WRX wagon, though, which is what I'd like to do when I have to replace my current car! :)
  • Options
    Yep, freeber. Our last car did not have ALRs and it was a MAJOR pain in the neck to secure our toddler in her booster seat. Fuggedaboutit - she's squirm out and tap me on the shoulder in no time. It was actually one reason we dumped that car.

As an adult, try not to pull it out all the way. Also, try not to lean forward too much, because that might make it start to lock.

-juice
  • Options
    twistylocstwistylocs Member Posts: 20
    If you're a "large" person like I am, you have no choice but to pull the seat belts all the way out so that they'll fit around you. Because of Honda's well-documented stance against seat belt extenders, knowing that the CR-V has this kind of seat belt mechanism is making me think twice about purchasing one. *grumble*

I've heard in passing that Honda Canada is rethinking the seat belt extender position and makes them available for newer Odyssey models. Any word on whether they'll make them available for other Honda cars?
  • Options
    twistylocstwistylocs Member Posts: 20
    I just answered my own question by calling Honda Canada. The seatbelts in the CR-V are equipped with something called "pre-tensioners" and thus make seat belt extenders impossible. The customer service representative on the phone said that she didn't know any way of having the tension adjusted by the dealer or aftermarket. Does anyone here know whether this is possible?
  • Options
    newcarbuyer02newcarbuyer02 Member Posts: 2
    how much is a 2002 CRV EX (manual transmission) with 3,000 miles, 3 mos. old worth?
  • Options
    ALRs are becoming universal. You may find it hard to find a car without them.

Used is still used. My rule of thumb is they lose 10% the minute you drive off the lot, then another 10% per year after that. So I'd deduct 12.5% of the current market price of a new one, about $21,500, and that means $18,812.

Realistically Hondas hold their value well, so anything under $20k would be OK. A dealer may even charge near full price.

My concern would be - why did the first owner dump it so soon? I'd inspect it thoroughly, including the frame for hidden damage.

-juice
  • Options
    chayachaya Member Posts: 18
    Boy do I love my silver EX - a lot. It is really a joy to ride. I do hear the road noise you guys mention, but with the sun roof & windows open, and the stereo on loud, it just blends in with the rest of the tones.

Question: ok, so I was driving a little over the speed limit (by about 25 mph) and then the freeway started to go up hill. All of a sudden I lost power, first the Honda (hasn't told me it's name yet) went down to the speed limit, and then went down to 60 mph. The dealer talked about turning the OD off when climbing hills, but can I still go fast with it on? The tachometer shot up when I tried that. Since I've never had a car with a tachometer, I didn't know if I should be worried or not. It wasn't in the red zone.

Complaint: for all the money they spent desiging that car, couldn't they make the random CD play work with all 6 CDs instead of one at a time?

Other question: if I have an aftermarket, non-Honda twweter and subwoofer installed, does that mess with the warrantee at all? My old car had an Eclipse stereo, and I miss that sound clarity.

thanks for all the answers I've seen here - you guys are great.

csj
  • Options
    Twisty - I know that other manufacturers offer extenders and they have pretensioners on their cars. Here's the only possible answer I can see:

Honda not only has pretensioned belts, they are "dual" pretensioned. A pretensioner "cinches" the shoulder belt tight when the car is in an accident and increases the effectiveness of the seat belt. Preventing the occupant's body from flopping around is a good thing. Most manufacturers have the shoulder belt pretensioned. Honda takes this a step further and has both the shoulder and the lap belt actively pretensioned.

The new Civic was the first US model to use this technology. The IIHS gives the belts credit for making the Civic one of their best performers in their offset crash test.

Okay, Varmint, nice lecture... Now, what does this have to do with seatbelt extenders?

I have no idea. It's just a suggestion. Maybe seatbelt extenders interfere with the lap belt pretensioners. I have doubts about this as Honda has not recommended extenders for quite a while, but these belts are relatively new.
  • Options
    My EX auto has no problem maintaining 80+ mph up normal graded hills without turning the overdrive off. Did you push the accelerator down more when you started slowing down? Did you try using the cruise control to maintain your speed? might be a break in thing, I'm not sure.

Tachometer will certainly shoot up if you take o/d off at highway speeds, because you're basically downshifting the transmission.