Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    FWD can be towed just like any other FWD, front wheels up, rear down.

RT4WD should be flatbedded (is that a word?). Front wheels down--damage transaxle. Rear wheels down--damage RT4WD. If you can't have it loaded on a flatbed, have them use dollys.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The other option is to tow it flat. This can be done if the you're going to tow it behind an RV.
  • Options
    kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    Does the CR-V LX come with privacy glass in the back, and with keyless entry. The wheels on the EX are much more appealing to me than the ones on the LX.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    does NOT have privacy glass or keyless entry. Yes, the wheels on the EX are alloy, not so on the LX. Also, get sunroof, 6 CD changer, tweeters, ABS, side air bags standard on EX. For about $2000 more - I thought it was worth it - over the period of the loan, it really does not make that much difference to monthly payment.
  • Options
    frenchieefrenchiee Member Posts: 11
    Hey Gator, you mentioned that highway mileage should increase with the bigger tires. Why would this be? Also, you said the speedo runs slow. Are we talking 2 or 3 miles per or 8 to 10 mph. Thanks Pal!
  • Options
    matt479matt479 Member Posts: 26
    The '02 EX CR-V is one of my top choices for a new purchase. Does any have experience driving it in snow conditions? More improtantly uphill snow conditions. I'm considering it because of the AWD and VTEC 4 cylindar (gas mileage). The roominess over other mini SUV's is a plus too. Test drove one last week. Was suprised by the power. Getting on the freeway and up to 80mph was almost as power as my Ford V6 T-Bird.
  • Options
    I've done my share of snow driving. Snow tires are always recommended if you see regular snow during the Winter months. Regardless, RT4WD does a fine job of keeping you moving forward when you need to.

• Options
    gatorgreggatorgreg Member Posts: 91
    I'm assuming that my RPMs on the highway would be lower due to the larger circumference of the bigger tires, thereby leading to slightly better highway mileage. Of course, since the vehicle sits about a 1/2 inch higher, aerodynamics might be decreased and offset this, I don't know.

As for speedo error, assuming the speedo runs off of how fast the wheel is spinning, my speedo should be off by approx 4.2% (comparing OEM circumference of approx 82.6" to the circumference with bigger tires of approx 86.1"). This sort of jives with what I found when driving at a steady 60 mph with my buddy Thai following behind. He said his speedo was reading 63mph. But Thai has a 1st gen so it may not be a very good comparison. Rick F., who has a 1st gen with the exact same size Michelins, posted somewhere that according to his GPS the speedo is actually more accurate with the bigger tires cuz Honda speedos overstate speed with the OEM tires. So in my case, I would guess that my speedo went from reading about 2 mph fast (at 60) to about 1 mph slow with the bigger tires. The faster I go, the bigger the error compared to OEM (e.g., at 20 mph the difference is less than 1 mph, at 100 mph the difference is over 4 mph).

Varmint, great pic! It's nice to see someone else posting pics :);):)
  • Options
    geenee87geenee87 Member Posts: 30
    I drove my 2002 Cr-v in some heavy snow on the NYS thurway a few weeks ago and it did just fine...quite a good ride i thought
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I think you should start paying me a fee for every time you post that picture, Varmint! ;)

That's me getting out of my Milano Red '99 EX 5spd.

:D
  • Options
    Yeah, but that's my finger in the top left corner! Here's another pic from that same meet.

Lemme see if I can get this right. Starting from the left... First is Marne's blue LX from Canada. Next is TheRacoon with his red EX 5 speed. Joe Canada is next with a blue EX. The black rig with the brush guards (and every other mod known to man) is GoongaRon's Gadget. The next red is Sean from Virginia. Then we have my silver EX 5 speed. Troop Master Chas has his black 99 parked at the end.

• Options
    While out on the road, I have noticed that the white EX's seem to look larger than CR-v's in the dark goldish/brownish color. The gold would be OK to me if it had more gold and less brown in it.
  • Options
    matt479matt479 Member Posts: 26
    When I test drove the '02 EX CR-V I had one comfort concern. The leg room for the driver. I'm 6'2''. I wanted the set to go back a few more inches than its max range. Anyone that tall or bigger have any discomfort? More on longer drives? Also for the '02 - anyone try to put an after market roof rack on it? Found a company that says they have racks that fit and cost about $300. Dealer wants $375 (not including labor).
  • Options
    crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    u can find the roof rack for an 02 v at hparts.com for less then 180 and u can install it ur self all u need is a screw driver basically.
  • Options
    bhoughtonbhoughton Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

I am considering the purchase of a new CR-V and I would prefer to have a 5-speed, but I am slightly deterred by the lower (higher numerically) axle ratio of the 5-speed. According to an article in Honda Tuning magazine, the transmission gear ratio in 5th gear is 0.738:1. Combined with a differential ratio of 4.765:1 this would (I assume) yield an overall drive ratio of (4.765)(0.738)=3.52:1.

I would like to calculate the overall drive ratio of the automatic by multiplying the gear ratio of 4th gear in the automatic by the final drive ratio of 4.44.

Here's my question. Can anyone here tell me the gear ratio of 4th gear in the automatic transmission?

All of this is based on my assumption that the "Final Drive Ratios" published in the Honda CR-V brochure are, in fact, differential ratios and not the actual ratio of engine r.p.m.s to wheel r.p.m.s

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.
  • Options
    quark9quark9 Member Posts: 5
    Hello again folks - Your responses convinced me to skip the VIN etching, but noone answered my other question: my EX 5-speed will be arriving in a few days. Do you all think I should spring for an alarm system? If so, shall I have Honda install it?

The coded-key ignition-immobilizing system seems to make it impossible to steal the car without the key, but doesn't keep anyone from breaking in. The question really is, does an alarm act as deterrent anymore, now that everyone has them and noone really pays attention when one goes off - ?

What do you think? Am I just trying to rationalize not spending several hundred dollars more when I'm already paying sticker for my car?
  • Options
    Mark - No one has tried it with the new CR-V, but I know of one person who modified the previous model for more legroom. He was able to extend the tracks upon which the driver's seat mounts.

Bhoughton - Try this link for the gearing. The specs include both MT and AT transmissions. Just scroll down a bit. May I ask why you are deterred by the 5 speed's higher gearing?

Quark - I opted to have Lo-Jack installed. Rather than a deterrent, it's a vehicle recovery system. Typically, it comes with an alarm anyway.

• Options
    freeberfreeber Member Posts: 116
    I'm 6'5" and 283 lbs. (no I'm not proud of that...) I was surprised at the roomy-ness of the 02' V as it comes. I noticed yesterday though that my seat is reclined enough that the head rest is past the pillar. I'm not sure how big of a saftey concern that gets to be. Something else to think about before you modify the seat location: airbag timing. I assume airbag deployment and deflation is based on the average time it takes for a person in the stock position to come in contact with it. If you move you seat back an additional 3", this may affect the saftey of the vehicle. Not to mention instead of having a nice big window to look out you will have a big pillar in the way all the time. Seatbelts aren't where they need to be either.

When vehicle shopping I asked several dealers and auto shops if they would relocate the seat for me. The response was mostly the same: "we can't take that kind of liability on." One dealer made a fairly astute point that if I ever were in an accident and it was noted that the seat was not in a stock postion the insurance could potentially dismiss any health claims based on having modifyied the vehicles stock saftey ability.

Way off topic, here's an depressing thought: how many old(over 65) tall guys do you see walking around? I noticed this about 6 months ago (shortly after turning 30....hmmmmm)

There's my 2 cents.....
  • Options
    davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    I'm 6'3" and have the 02 EX-Auto and find the driving position just fine for my tastes (and have put in 3000 miles or so). So far, nothing but good things to say about it.

and yes...buy it online for $180 and install it yourself

Here's the install manual (two pages)

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/02CRVRACK.pdf from another dealer that has it for $180 (the thing lists for $250 from Honda so your dealer is robbing you unless they are talking about something other than the base Roof Rack. (+ bike/ski addon's etc...)

• Options
    mikecrvmikecrv Member Posts: 4
    Since we are posting snow pics today, here's one of mine:

While snow tires are indeed highly recommended I have done well with all-seasons even in harsh Canadian winters (not like this past winter). I find the RT4WD gets me anywhere I want to go, anytime. I imagine that snow tires would give me better stopping power though.

As an aside, I was expecting that since I had bigger truck tires (GoodYear Wranglers) installed on my V that my speedo would be slightly out of whack.

Well, I checked it extensively with a friend's GPS recently and the speedo is dead-on. There wasn't the slightest difference in the reading. I am surprised but happy about this.

Mike

• Options
    njbobnjbob Member Posts: 12
    In the past my cars had alarms installed. I had it done basically for disabling the ignition. If someone breaks in during the night, with one minute they usually gone anyhow. Plus the alarm automatically resets after about 2-3 minutes. At malls, I occasionally hear alarms going off, nobody seems to care. The CRV's immobilizer is the real important factor. When I asked the dealer about the alarm, he felt that it wasn't needed unless I was concerned about break-ins.
  • Options
    dturner8dturner8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all you seemingly happy folks. I am trying to choose between a mini-van and a CRV for my next purchase. Now, before you get into telling me how different the two lines are....I KNOW! What I'm wondering is, has anyone been able or tried to get three child seats in the back? I would have tried to read all 7000+ postings, but my wife didn't think that was constructive use of my time. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    slade225slade225 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone had any luck finding a kayak stacker to fit the roof rack for the 2002 CRV? I was told that there isn't one that fits the factory rack, and that there may also be a weight capacity problem. Thanks.
  • Options
    davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    I've never put 3 in my 02 EX, but I've got an alpha omega (front facing) in the center and can fit the infant carrier on either side, so I'm sure it can be done (albeit a little cramped)...the black lab takes which every window seat is available.

not something I'd want full time (loading the middle one would be fun)...but occassionally it should work. of course the MV is more practicle (but I won't go there)...also the new Honda Pilot has a bunch more width (and the 3rd row to throw a kid in if you want to load more adults in a crunch)
  • Options
    bhoughtonbhoughton Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, Varmint, for the link to the Honda Digital Newsroom site. To answer your question about why I might be deterred by the high (numerically) overall gear ratio in 5th gear for the stick...higher noise level and possible poorer economy (2698 vs. 2170 r.p.m. @ 60 m.p.h.) and higher engine wear (1754 feet/mile of piston travel for the manual compared to 1410 feet/mile for the auto.)

I realize that Hondas are very durable, so the extra wear probably isn't a big deal, but I wonder why Honda felt the need for the low gears. (I don't mind downshifting to 4th to pass or go up a grade.)

I've never purchased a vehicle with an automatic transmission so I'll probably go for the 5-speed, but I own a Volkswagen Eurovan that is decidedly undergeared at freeway speeds and often find myself reaching for (a non-existant) 6th gear.
  • Options
    jonniedee98jonniedee98 Member Posts: 3
    I just got 2 "WALDEN" brand kayak carriers that clamp directly to the factory roof rack. By placing them to the outter edges, I can place two 35-40lb recreational 'yaks without any rack flexing.
    They are the "J" style that place the boat on it's side.
  • Options
    chayachaya Member Posts: 18
    One week old, and I have to say I love this car.

I'll be going camping soon and want to know if it is ok to use a camp stove on top of the picnic table, or is it better to take along another surface?

Any experience out there?
  • Options
    rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    For those of you who were talking about the hole under the gear selector and shift lock.
    That hole is for the shift lock release. What you do is stick your key in the hole and you can take it out of park without having the key in the ignition or your foot on the brake.
    As some of you have discovered, the cover for that hole is usually found in a bag in the glovebox. I'm assuming they need access to the hole during shipping and that's why it isn't installed.
    My cover was no where to be found but my dealer ordered one easily enough.

-Rob
  • Options
    luv2motorluv2motor Member Posts: 25
    The other day I was sitting in my "V", waiting for my son to come out, quietly enjoying a nice day. Then all of a sudden the peaceful tranquility was broken by ......... I don't know how to put this ..
    but by a sound simular to a soft "bronx cheer" or "raspberry" coming from the vicinity of the glove compartment! I know that there is a filter behind the glove box, and I wonder if it has something to do with that embarrassing sound.
    Has anybody else witnessed this strange phenomenon???
  • Options
    Bhoughton - I have doubts that the higher rpm will have any significant effect on reliability for the engine. If that sort of difference did have any effect, I would think that people driving fast on highways would have less reliable vehicles than the folks who drive slower.

As for noise, I don't think it would be a significant factor, but you can resolve the issue for yourself with a nice highway test drive. With the older CR-Vs, the engine noise was an issue. The newer engines are quieter and there is more sound-proofing. Even though some folks feel that it could still be even less noisey, most are offended by tire noise, not engine droning.

Chaya - Depends on what type of camp stove you have. If it requires priming, then I'd say don't use the table. If not, it should be okay. The directions for the stove may include guidelines.
  • Options
    surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    Cars sometimes just have gas. happens all the time.

seriously the closest sound from mine is the emergency brake holding when i park on a hill.
  • Options
    At the Honda dealer today, I noticed a blinking red light on the stereo of a new (unfortunately locked) EX that said "anti-theft". Is this system just warning you of the immobilizer., or that the stereo won't work, or of a factory alarm?
  • Options
    Took my EX in for it's first oil change Friday at Honda dealer where I purchased it. They put in Quaker State 5w-20, not Honda brand. Does anyone have an opinion on that??

Also, reported some other problems -
    1. Driver's auto up/down window makes scratching/grinding noise - they reported it was tight and needed lubication BUT it still does it.
    2. Rear window stained (appears dried wated spots inside of the glass) - at least he didn't laugh out loud! Said they would look into it - and reported back that they saw no problem - window needed good cleaning which they said they did but I can still see the streaks.
    3. 4 wheel alignment - I would recommend this for any new owner - has made a difference since it is free for the first 12000 miles/12 months.
    4. Head liner above driver's visor rattles/squeaks - dealer reported they fixed it, BUT it still does it.

I picked up the crv late Friday night . Will have to take it back.
    Apparently service dept. increased tire pressure to around 32 psi (ranged from 31-32.5) - I checked it the next morning because I thought it was riding rough. I've been keeping it at 26. Will call dealer and ask why they increased tire pressure.

This is my first experience with Honda service - so far, this dealer is no better than any other car dealer I've dealt with in terms of fixing problems correctly the first time.
  • Options
    Kw-carman - The red light indicator is for the radio. When a Honda radio is removed from the car, it will no longer function. This is the anti-theft measure. You need the code that is supplied with the owner's manual to re-activate it.
  • Options
    slade225slade225 Member Posts: 2
    jonniedee98: Thanks, I will check out Walden.
  • Options
    robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    window scratch sound - could be the pieces inside the door that keep the window from rattling around need adjustment. I think this is the same problem that left a greasy "streak" on my window when it is put down and then put back up. There's a pad that presses against the window there, from what I understand.
  • Options
    dglozmandglozman Member Posts: 178
    Just gave a deposit for CR-V EX black, auto. Have to wait for about 4-5 weeks. I think I got a good deal $22400 including destination charge which is 100+ bellow TMV. All dealerships around me (Brooklyn, New York) want MSRP. Can't wait...
  • Options
    emcainemcain Member Posts: 3
    In response to an earlier post on driver side rear tire camber:

I have an 02 EX All Wheel dirve CRV that has a pulling problem to the right. It is still not fixed after 3 times to the dealer. This time I will ask them to look at camber on the left rear. They adjusted toe on that wheel and it got better. I understand that you can not change camber without ordering special bolts from Honda. My 02 was off the line in Oct. of last year and I have heard many complaints about right pull. Could be the same problem on each. Will report camber findings. Let me know if anyone has a similar problem.
  • Options
    Has anyone found that with rapid push on accelerator while in park you get hesitation and a brief sound of air intake (EGR valve?) before normal rev? I also get a knocking/vibration sound when rpm comes back down to idle. I get rough acceleration on the open road b/w 30-50 mph. I have had no CEL yet.
  • Options
    good alignment resource:

http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    LOL, a Honda with flatulence and it's not a slammed Civic with a coffee can exhaust!

For tall folks, Honda would do a great favor by simply installing a better dead pedal. That plus an arm rest make an upright seating position comfy.

80mph and you hit a deer? I'd say the CR-V held up pretty darn well. The damage looks cosmetic and didn't seem to affect the passenger cell at all. Did you walk away unscathed? Impressive.

-juice
  • Options
    WAs looking around at '02 CR-V's, and was wondering, are the new dark blue ones hard to keep clean. Also, would it be hot? I hope it wouldn't be hot like the black Lumina we dumped off a while back.

Lastly, if I wanted to install keyless entry (Honda brand) myself, is there a website that I could go to to find this Honda part?
  • Options
    Is there any consensus on swapping out the OEM speakers in the '02 crv EX. I think the sound is good but I know it could be better, particularly the bass. But am not really looking into getting a sub - I don't need the booming bass you hear in so many cars owned by the younger generation. I've read some posts that the power of the OEM head unit was not enough to power better speakers, so adding an amp would seem required. And instead of some guy making minimum wage do this, was wondering if I had the speakers/amp, if Honda dealer would do the install. Does anyone have an idea what they would charge or if they would even do it? And any recommendation of speaker/amp models.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    jonniedee98jonniedee98 Member Posts: 3
    I just had all 4 door speakers replaced with boston acoustics coaxials. They factory speakers are plastic frames without mounting screws. They have a locking tab system for mounting. The shop had to make some support brackets.
    I would not use a no name shop to do this kind of work. Get someone with a good rep - my bass is over 100% better now.
    For an idea of what you're in for go to one of the honda factory parts shops online (handaparts.com, ect...)and look at the install pdf file for the side trim. I say this because they go into pulling the door panels and removing the speakers to get at the mounting hardware inside the door. You'll see what I mean about the tab a into slot b speakers - very cheap and sucky on honda's part to make an aftermarket upgrade easy.
    I'll bet some manufacturer will come up with a mount specific kit and charge an arm and a leg.
    Good job on the head unit Honda - too bad the speakers and their mounting are out classed by a "close and play"!
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    As far as I could tell the damage to the car was front facia, hood, left fender and door and some poped out welding on the engine compartment right side, $4600 unless there is hidden damage. hope repairs don't get hung up for parts. I still can't get touch up paint.
    rockycow
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    I went to bay-ridge honda in brooklyn for my 2002 CR-V EX in sliver,I paid 22,040 with dest. charge.I dealt with Frank.It was surpose to be 6 weeks wait but got it in 11 days not bad.
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    Hey All,

So I finally bought my 2002 Silver CR-V EX AT today!!!! wow, it took forever! I stayed firm at 22,100 and finally got a dealer to sell it to me for that price. Many dealers here in Southern Cal wanted at least 1,000 over MSRP. One had it marked at 3,000 over MSRP!

One question I do have is about the breaking in period. The Sales person told me not to put it in cruise control for at least the first 500 miles and to drive it at all different speeds.

Does either not going over a certain speed or rev hold for the CR-V's? Also, should my first oil change occur before 3000 miles? The sales person said to do it at 3750 miles but I've heard others say to do it at 1000 miles the first time.
  • Options
    dglozmandglozman Member Posts: 178
    For some reason silver is more popular in New York area. I saw only one Black and about a dozen Silver on the streets. I think thats the reason they order more silver CR-Vs then blacks.
    I talk to Bay Ridge Honda- they have only one black and waiting period about 6 weeks. Hillsside Honda in Queens has 8 Blacks on order, 5 of them have a deposit down already including mine. Can't wait...
  • Options
    tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    You were asking about your Honda dealer using Quaker State 5w-20. Honda does not make engine oil. You can go to Repairs and Maintenance and there are thousands of posts regarding engine oil and oil filters. The real debate is whether or not to use synthetic oil or dino oil. I decided to go with 3,750 mile oil interval changes (as recommended for severe driving conditions in the owners manual) with SL rated dino oil.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    For less speedometer error (albeit at a slightly lower, less truck-like profile) you could go with 225/65-15's......circumference goes from original 82.6 to 83.3 (as opposed to your 86.1). I would prefer these to the standard "plus-one" upgrade of 215/60-16s.