Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Just looking through edmunds own overviews -

New for 1999:
    This year, buyers of both coupe and convertible models will enjoy standard interior enhancements that include a leather steering wheel, redesigned interior light switches, 130-mph speed limiter, front fender turn indicators and red walnut dash trim in place of last year's black wood. A new 17-inch alloy wheel option is available in 1999 for both coupes and convertibles. The coupe also gets an in-dash cruise control indicator light. New colors include Desert Wind for the coupe and Champagne for the convertible.

New for 2000:
    This year, buyers of both coupe and convertible models will enjoy standard interior enhancements that include head and chest side airbags and WHIPS, an innovative safety system that reduces head and neck injury in a rear-end collision by moving the seat back 15 degrees after impact. This prevents the person's body from snapping forward again. At the same time the headrest moves forward, providing extra support for the head and neck. Homelink is now standard on the C70 HPT coupe and exterior paint color Champagne is replaced by Moondust and Venetian Red.

The C70 HPT convertible is introduced for 2000 with either a four-speed automatic or a manual gearbox. Content includes all features on the LT convertible, plus an SC-900 radio, genuine wood dash inlays, auto-dimming mirror and a trip computer. The HT convertible can be spiffed up with options like heated front seats, 17-inch alloy wheels, and stability traction control.

New for 2001:
    A new five-speed automatic transmission is optional equipment. Exterior styling remains the same, but there are new 16-inch wheels for all models, with the 17-inch wheels still being optional. Simulated wood trim replaces the previous car's burled walnut wood trim. The coupe's previously standard equipment of the trip computer, auto-dimming rearview mirror, simulated wood trim, leather upholstery and sunroof are now part of the Grand Touring option package. The premium audio system is optional on the HPT coupe and standard on the HPT convertible.

New for 2002:
    Volvo will offer the C70 Coupe in just one trim level, and the contents of last year's SE model will come with it, including the unique sport grille, 17-inch wheels and tires, power sunroof, leather upholstery, trip computer, auto-dimming rearview mirror and special dash inlays. New standard features for all C70s include Volvo's stability and traction control system (STC), heated front seats and an emergency trunk release. Convertibles also get 17-spoke alloy wheels and ride on Z-rated 205/55R16 Pirelli tires. Genuine wood dash trim replaces the "wood effect" trim in the optional Touring Package for the C70 LPT convertible. Ash Gold is now an exterior color choice, while Turquoise Metallic and Venetian Red Metallic have been discontinued.

New for 2003:
    For 2003, the C70 is only available in convertible form. Slight power increases are in store for both powertrains, with the LT engine now making 196 horsepower, an enhancement of six, and the HT engine producing 245, a boost of nine ponies over last year's output. The headlamps and taillamps have a jeweled effect, and the front grille is darkened. A rainbow of new colors -- Maya Gold, Ruby Red and Titanium Grey -- burst onto the scene.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Hmmm... definitely sounds like '01 is the way to go. Personally, I'd probably be looking for an HT with the 5-speed auto. Problem is now you are up in the $30K range. But even if you drop to an '00 HT, its around $27-$28K. So, I guess the question is do you want HT or LT? To be fair, the BMW 328 is more comparable to the LT Volvo. And you are looking at $33K for a similarly equipped '99 328 with 40K miles. So it all depends on how you look at it.

To stay in the $25k range, it looks like you might need to go for a '99 LT with about 40K miles (this is all according to Edmunds numbers, by the way, minus a few bucks because I've always found that I can do a little better than edmunds).

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about a rebuilt tranny if it was done by the dealer. Something you might want to think about while surfing Ebay, though, is that a certified pre-owned Volvo from a dealer comes with a nice warranty (7 year/74K miles) that will give you peace of mind.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,240
    Good recap of the model years. I like having my color (Champagne Metallic) available for only one year, makes it more special, but hated that the Turquoise Metallic was discontinued. Where did you find the info for the '03?? I tried a search and came up with nothing.
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Listening to TMart's experiences with his LT I say that it depends on the environment that you're driving in. I don't know what Arizona is like but I would think that you would be great in an LT. I love my HT (coupe) but that is because I'm in Psycho Chicago and take the expressways everywhere. So the HT comes in handy sometimes, but I could be just as happy with the LT.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    C70 coupes and converts used the same serial number sequence. Only the first part is different
    Convert is YV1NC... Coupe is YV1NK.
    According to Volvo somewhere between 500-700 convertibles arrived for the 98 model yr.
    Tranny repl. on an 01 is odd, but should present no problems.

LT's are faster to 35mph, HT's are faster after that.
    Also HT's are better at highway passing.
    LT suspension setup is a little softer than the HT although it is hard to feel the difference sometime.
    HT'a also came with real wood in the dash and the SC901 sound system. Also the HT was the only way to get a stick.
  • candyman85233candyman85233 Member Posts: 43
    I just test drove that 2001 that is on ebay from Arizona and it was nothing like I expected. I guess I expected a 'luxury' car and ride. The ride was rough and the car was loud. I was very disappointed. There are alot of features I do like though, like the one touch convertible top, the one touch for all the windows, and the turbocharged engine.

I guess I need to go test drive a new one from the dealer to see what a new one rides like, versus a used older one. Maybe it was the tires he had on the car, I don't know. I used to have a Sebring Convertible and for double the money of a Sebring, I guess I expected alot more than was there.
    Candyman, sorry you were disappointed with your test drive. Was it a LT or HT? As Volvoman mentioned above, they have different suspensions. I haven't been in an HT, but my LT, ride wise, doesn't compare to my wife's ES300. But, I've got 17 inch wheels with high performance tires versus her 16 inchers with all season radials. As far as being loud, no convert is going to be as quiet as a sedan or coupe. Haven't driven a Sebring, so I can't make a comparison. Definitely take a new one for a spin and compare.
    Candyman, none of them ride soft like a Sebring!
    although the Lt w/ 16" wheels will be as soft as they get.
    What noise were you concerned with?
    I've always felt it was ine of the quietest convertibles out there.
    Very little wind noise top up or down.
    Volvomax is right on. The Sebring is soft. You will find it softer than the BMW, too. The Sebring is not a "sport" anything. That's the difference. Both the Volvo and BMW will outhandle the Sebring by a wide margin. The harsher ride is the price you pay. If the one you drove was with the 17" wheels, then find one with 16". But, even then, you will think it much stiffer than your Sebring. Even my S70 with 16" wheels and non-sport suspension is relatively harsh compared to the Mazda 626 I traded in for it, but I find the Volvo worlds superior in every way. And the Mazda is one of the better handling mid-size sedans on the market - my volvo is even better.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I test drove an HT with the 17" wheels. It was fine with the top down, but with the top up and the windows closed, the engine and tranny 'noise' when I accelerated from a stop, was louder then I expected.

My Sebring convertible was a 96 (their worst year) and I guess in 2001 they got a structural, integrity, performance, noise and vibration makeover. And I haven't test drove those yet. I know they are alot cheaper and no resale, but to me, its all about the ride. I did an edmunds side by side comparison on the C70 and the Limited Sebring, check it out. I guess I need to look at the maintenance costs, and everything else also. What really surprised me is looking at the Toyota Solara Convertible and some of the reviews panned that car also!

I am just looking for the best bang for my buck, as I am not brand loyal to anyone. Thanks for all the comments!
    with the car you drove. With my top and windows up, I don't hear my engine or transmission.
    What you probably heard was the turbo.
    Noise limits are relative, some people like to hear whats going on others don't.
    I love the way my C70 sounds when it accelerates!
  • rhanna10rhanna10 Member Posts: 2
    I've been thinking about getting a new(used) car and having my car recently get rear-ended has given me a new impetus in that direction. I've been considering a '98-'99 C70 coupe, HPT, 5-spd manual- I think its a beautiful car that does a great job of walking the line between sportiness and luxury. I was hoping to hear from owners of C70s that have a few miles on them, as that's what I'd be looking into. Are your cars holding up well after 50K plus miles? Are there issues I should be concerned about as I continue my search (these cars aren't easy to find, so I might find myself going far afield and would like to find out soon if I'm going to be wasting my time). Thanks for any help offered.
    -Rich
    Overall a good car. The 98 had some loose trim issues which have since been corrected.
    A manual HPT is a tough car to find though.
    Not many were produced.
    Mechanically the car is an S70 and they do hold up well past the 50k mark.
    My coupe is a 2002, only have 2900 miles on it!
    as volvomax pointed out, this is mechanically the same as an S70. That being said, my 98 S70 T5 (which is the same engine/turbo you are looking for) is doing just fine at 56K miles. No mechanical problems whatsoever (knocking on wood as I type this).

The Saga continues...

Today, a buddy of mine has a BMW 330 coupe that he let me test drive. I like the way the key has the alarm and door control buttons, nice touch. I took it out on the highway and before I knew it, I looked at the speedo and I was doing 85! No way! But, it was rough ride, like a sports car.

Then I went a test drove a Solara Convertible loaded. It was a nicer ride, smoother, however, even with the top up there was a noticable shake in the ride. Also, I could hear the wind hitting the top by the windshield (hard to describe). It has a great stereo system and the leather is nice. Then I put the top down and felt like my head was sticking above the windshield. It just feels like a 'small' car.

I guess I am too picky, or there is something wrong with me. I can't believe I am the only one in the world that wants a nice convertible with plush leather seats and a nice ride. Although, I haven't test driven the Sebring yet. That will be on Friday.

So until then...
    Only thing I could think of :)
    The Euro conv's ride like sports cars.
    The [non-permissible content removed] ones are flimsy, except the Miata, which has a euro ride
    The American ones will fall apart or depreciate like falling safes.

Sebring is prob the best bet for the ride you want, but I'd go used.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I think that durability of 50K miles is a bit conservative. Even with a high pressure turbo. I traded an 850 Turbo in for my 2000 C70 HT; the 850 had in excess of 100K miles and still passed the CA SMOG test with flying colors. If I am not mistaken, the drivetrain for the 2000 and earlier 70 series is pretty much the same as the 850.
  • rhanna10rhanna10 Member Posts: 2
    as I'm considering the purchase of a slightly used C70, I've been doing as much research as I can, and reading the anecdotal evidence here seemed like a good part of that. It occurred to me, though, that there are probably more posts here describing problems than describing non-problems. That is, just reading these posts would give one the impression that the C70 really is an absolute piece of junk with the exception of a few people happened to get good ones. Volvo has a pretty decent reputation, so I find this hard to believe. My guess is that the people who don't have problems don't come to this message board looking for answers... Is there some place that I can look for actual reliability statistics? I'm willing to sacrifice the reliability of a Honda or Toyota for the style and power of the Volvo, but not to the extent that my automobile will be more of a headache than a joy. Any ideas?
    -Rich
    Well, of course, its common sense that folks with the problems will seek out a forum more than folks who have no problems. I tend to look at message boards like these more from the standpoint of a percentage. A high volume of problems gives me more concern.

For example, taking a look at this particular board, you have less than 700 messages in almost 4 years since it was started (first message posted Feb, '99). That is a remarkably low number. Even if half of those were complaints (which they are not), that is less than 100 complaints a year on average. I think that is VERY low. I'm not going to do the research, but I'd be willing to bet you'd find a higher average than that on many "reliable" car message threads.

Volvos do live a long time, I have seen plenty of 850's at or over 100,000 miles that were still running around w/ no problems.

While its true that some of the early C70's had minor issues the vast majority were trouble free.
    People who are unhappy are always more vocal than people who are happy.
    After all you never see anyone on a soapbox in the park shouting about how wonderful his life is!
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    Other than trucks, we had been buying Honda/Acura products exclusively since 1988 until we traded our '89 Accord in on my wife's '99 C70 convertible. Having been accustomed to Honda reliability my wife heavily researched Volvo's prior to our purchase (with the exception of a '95 Accord that was destroyed at 50k, all other Honda/Acura products went well past 100k). She spoke with everyone she knew or saw with Volvo's and became convinced that if properly maintained, the reliability would be similar to the Hondas. So far we have not heard or seen anything to disprove that belief. Like the Hondas, there are some minor things that needed attention, but nothing to impact reliability in any fashion. That being said, because the convertible was a new design, I did purchase an extended warranty (primarily to cover the mechanical parts of the top).
  • cb99999cb99999 Member Posts: 4
    I've had trouble with the SC-901 3-Disc player reading my CD-R. They usually play after about 30 seconds or so of trying. A friend suggested keeping the song number to 12, as more may trick the machine into thinking its a data disc.

Those of you who have had good success playing CD-Rs, what software are you using to burn the CDs?
    Hi:

Snowed on us Saturday night and had to get my haircut Sunday morning. You all will be happy to know that the 17 inch Bridgestones suck just as bad in the snow as the 17 Michelins that I used to have.

Tmart - My friend indicated that it got down to mid 40's last week. Heard he actually THOUGHT about wearing jeans.
    Should anyone wish to 'borrow' the Nero program. Let me know. We'll arrange it. That way you can..."try it out and determine if you wish to buy it yourself"

*wink*wink*nudge*nudge*KnowwhatIMean*KnowWhatIMean*
    Sorry to hear about your slipping and sliding with the Bridgestones. Yeah, we did have a cold front come through. Had to fire up the furnaces for the first time this season! Here in Spring, I think it made it down to 39 overnite. But the next day it was back into the mid to upper 60's. For a couple of days I did wimp out and wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. In a few more day, I'm sure the A/C will be back on. For now it's nice to have neither the furnaces nor A/C on. Come on down!!
    Tommy:
    I'll definitely let you know when we're coming down. Hopefully before March of next year. My friend has been bugging me to come down and see their place. Still trying to figure out what he needs a Land Cruiser for.
    Sound good. What part of Houston does your friend live? I'm in the 1960 Area, about 25 miles north of Houston. If you've not been here before, you're in for a treat. You won't believe all the pick up trucks and SUV's. As Dodge says, "Welcome to Truckville"! March is usually a pretty good time, not hot or too cold. Also the Rodeo will be here 2/25-3/16. If you could go, you wont regret it. It's the world's largest Rodeo with more than 1 million spectators. Check out www.hlsr.com for more info.
    Cool. Never been to one of those before (they don't hit Chicago that often). D lives in the Southwest part of Houston (I belive outside the beltway).
  • darren64darren64 Member Posts: 4
    Yesterday I drove my 2001 C70 home from work (10 minutes), left about 30 minutes later to go to the gym, I was there about two hours. When I came back out to the car, it was DEAD! I called for roadside assistance, the car was jumped and I drove around for about 20 minutes. This monring, it started up fine, no problems. The questions, what would have drained the battery in such a short time (2 hours) or should I be looking at a bigger issue? I don't think the doors were open and I know that it was locked. I am completely stumped. The delaership said to wait it out but I am going out of town for Thanksgiving and don't want to leave the car sitting for 5 days, just so I can come home to a dead C70. Any/all Advise would be appreciated. By the way I love the car, inspite of last nights problem.
    tighten down the battery connections. I had this same problem with a car of mine. Lights and all worked fine, but it wouldn't start. Could jump start it as well. Thought it odd that this could be a loose connection because why would the lights still work and jumping it still work? But, yes, it can be that its JUST loose enough to not give you enough power to turn that starter, but everything else works.

You could also have a sticking radiator fan relay. If the relay sticks to "on", the fan runs continuously until the battery is out of power. If the relay is sticking intermittently, it will be very difficult to diagnose the problem. I went through a similar experience on the 850 that I traded in on my C70. It took two trips to the dealer before they were able to find the sticking relay. Other than the relay, the 850 was completely reliable.
    As info, there's a windscreen listed on Ebay. Says it's for a 1999, but I believe it will fit the '00 and possibly the '01. Check with a dealer. Opening bid is $149.99 and auction ends 12/6. No mention of the bag which came with mine. The link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873821711

I am NOT involved in any way with this auction, just thought y'all might be interested, because the windscreen really works.
  • ph0493ph0493 Member Posts: 4
    Anybody have problems with their 17" Pirelli's? I live in the Northeast, where roads aren't the best in the world. I just had my tires replaced 2500 miles ago, and already 2 have HUGE bubbles in them. I'm resisting going to Pirelli at the moment, because I'm hesitant to replace them again with the same set, which just seems to bubble with every bump hit (had to replace a previous set too.) Don't drive the car hard and am not into performance driving, just basically go to/from work and out. Have received different suggestions, ranging from dropping to 16" (expensive option, since I'll need new rims, although I'm trying to get Volvo to help out), switching to some Dutch tire mfg (can't recall name at moment) who gives a roadside hazard warranty, to running the 17' at a lower PSI!

Help, my car is undrivable, and I don't want to bother changing tires every two months!
    Laura, I had problems with my original factory set, 225 45R17, but it wasn't bubbles. Around 19k the sidewalls began to develop cracks. Fortunately, after buying the car, I went to my local Discount Tire store and bought their certificates for the factory tires. Cost was $150 for the four tires. When the cracks developed, they replaced all four at no cost and sent the tires back to Pirelli. Needless to say, I bought certificates for the Pirelli replacements. My tires are called "summer tires". Don't know if your colder weather could be a factor or not with the bubbles.
    Do you have a Sears auto center near you? They offer, at $10 per tire, hazard insurance.

What I am somewhat amazed at is that anyone would subject themselves to further abuse. There is some problem with the Pirelli tires. I do not know what the problem is; in fact I really do not care what it is. Why anyone would want to take a further chance with a second set of tires by the manufacturer that screwed up the first set is beyond me. Try a set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires. (Or, any manufacturer other than Pirelli....) Just my opinion.
  • ph0493ph0493 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for responses. I had the same tears on my first set, plus bubbles. And I agree with the other person, "why do it again?" I tried once, but now problems with the 2nd set is more than I need. That's what driving me crazy about Volvo, they keep telling me to go back to Pirelli. Why the heck would I want a 3rd set of bad tires

I didn't know Sears offered that. They were the authorized dealer on my last problem, and told me no warranty. Even with a warranty, I hate to keep replacing tires so often, even if they're free. It's such a pain!
    Several reasons why I did it again. First of all I was, and still am, pleased with the Pirelli's. I was told by Discount Tire that the tires should last around 20-25k with "careful" driving when I bought the certificates. This wasn't mentioned by the dealer, surprise, surprise. I've since found out most all 17 or 18 inch high performance tires only last around 20k or less. I was used to getting 40+k with "regular" all season tires with 15 or 16 inch wheels. I didn't relish the thoughts of shelling out a grand for a new set every 20-25k, so when they started cracking at 19k, FREE (actually $150 considering the cost for the initial certificates)replacement was a fantastic deal. Wouldn't you also pay $150 versus $1,000? I kinda hope this set starts cracking at 19k too. Granted, if I didn't have the certificates, I'd probably go with a different tire.
    I admit to being a bit confused - would anyone choose to save $800 to $1,000 on tires so that they could increase their chance of a stay in the Intensive Care Unit, followed by convalescence, physical therapy, etc.? If there is a catastrophic failure of the tire (of which the cracking and bubbling can be a precursor to) at speed, an ICU visit is almost a certainty (if not worse). I guess the decision to stay with Pirellis is one that each individual must make for themself. My own personal experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires on 17 inch wheels has been around 35K - 40K miles per set. I inflate the tires to the high setting recommended by Volvo, rotate the tires every 5K miles, my driving pattern is probably slightly biased toward highway, and the weather where I live (S.F. Bay area) is not extreme; but I have been getting 35K to 40K miles per set.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I love Perellis. It's too bad you got a "bad batch" but generally they are a great tire for the money. I wouldn't be sour on them for one bad experience. Every manufacturer of every product known to man will produce a defect now and then. You switch to another quality tire (not some bogus brand of course which guarantees trouble) and sooner or later you or someone with that brand will have a similar bad experience. It's just the statistical inevitability of mass manufacturing. I remember a similar hassle many years ago with Perelli motorycycle tires ("chunking out" we called it), but the company made good and corrected the error.

I mean how many people stopped buying Toyotas because of their mistakes? Not many because they are way more on the good side than on the bad.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    So the current C70 convertible will still be offered through at least 2004? That's a long life for a car that started out as the 850.
    Mr_Shiftright: A minor point, but I think you mean Pirelli, as opposed to Perelli (unless of course you are referring to some new boutique tire brand that is attempting to break into the tire market). No disrespect, but....

Which tire to use is truly a personal decision. However, after two (apparently back-to-back) incidents of cracking and bubbling for ph0493, the concept of statistical anomaly gets stretched a bit.

Absent a recall program, the end user must make the decision to stay or switch. The example you gave of Toyota can be countered by Audi and their problem with "sudden acceleration". After numerous incidents, the problem was attributed to the placement of the brake and accelerator pedals being too close together (and the driver stepping on the accelerator pedal when they meant to step on the brake pedal - otherwise known as operator error....) Nevertheless, Audi suffered serious market erosion and consequent financial loss that has only recently been turned around.

By the way, I have a set of 4 Pirelli 235/45 H17 tires that were originally supplied on my S60 AWD that have no wear at all. (I supplied the dealer with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and requested the Michelin's be mounted before I would take delivery of the car.) If anyone is interested in the Pirelli's, let me know and I will open up an auction on eBay.
    Yup the C70 will exist thru the 2004 modle year.
    The new C50 will not be available till 2005.
    Long time, but not the longest serving Volvo.
    The 240 ran from 1975 till 1993!

I don't like Pirellis, they wear too fast and don't provide as much grip as you think.
    I love my Pilot Sports, much better tire.
    Also rides much better.
    Had a set of P-Zeros on my T5-R, didn't see the value.
    What have you heard about the C50? I have heard rumors that are all over the board: All Wheel Drive, 300 Hp/300 Ft Lbs, Retracting Aluminum top like Lexus SC430, and, and, and.... Basically, a gold-plated wish list. What are you hearing from Volvo? (If anything; they (Volvo factory people) seem to be playing deaf, dumb and blind with the dealer staff that I know.)
    Basically,
    We've heard all the same things.
    All we know is that the car will be built from the new P1 chassis, and is supposed to feature a retractable hard top.
    The price should be a good bit less than the current C70 convertible, although the car will be smaller too.

As for Volvo's lack of info, this is not surprising. They are a very secretive company.
    They want to maximize the wow factor of a product unveiling.That and they don't want to take the focus off selling their existing cars
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sorry, typo. I do that a lot.
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    Searching for service coupons I noticed a local Volvo dealer's website where they promote the various Volvo products. For the 2003 C70 they describe it as follows:

"But while the similarly named V70 wagon was redesigned two years ago (and moved to the larger, more luxurious S80 platform), the C70 continues to ride on the 10-year-old previous-generation S70/V70 platform while waiting for a complete makeover. Of course, older underpinnings don't make the C70 an undesirable car -- it's simply not the best the company has to offer. The C70 competes against cars like the Mercedes-Benz CLK, the BMW 3 Series and the Saab 9-3. It is not as performance-oriented as the Mercedes or BMW, but the C70 does have its own unique advantages."

Are they trying to sell this car or make excuses for it???