Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Do You Favor A Government Loan To The Detroit 3?

1747576777880»

Comments

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    We will officially start losing 50% of our investment in GM by the end of the year.

Uncle Sam Books 50% Loss As Government Motors Buys Back 200MM Shares From Tim Geithner

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-12-19/gm-buys-back-200mm-shares-us-government- -uncle-sam-divest-remaining-stake-50-loss

The Detroit automaker said it will purchase 200 million shares of GM stock held by Treasury for $5.5 billion — or $27.50 per share

Still, taxpayers will almost certainly lose billions of dollars in the $49.5 billion GM bailout - and the government would need to sell its remaining shares for about $70 each to break even.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "As told in "Overhaul," Rattner's book about the bailouts, it was Wilson who concluded that GM's obligation to the U.S. Treasury would have to be "equitized" -- in the form of stock rather than loans -- or else GM would sink under the burden of too much debt.

"I thought GM was dirt cheap a year ago and the stock is up 38% since then, and I still think it's attractive," he wrote."

Architect of GM bankruptcy says stock is undervalued (Detroit Free Press)
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Since I think the gov doesn't directly loan, but rather guarantees the loan, it may have ridden on what interest rates the lenders would have required. Remember, a lot of banks were in a crisis back then too and liquidity dried up.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
This discussion has been closed.