2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2010 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• Options
    emcd13emcd13 Member Posts: 3
    I am having a similar problem with my new 2010 Equinox. I used the radio/climate controls extensively on Friday, but turned the car off with a radar detector still plugged in to the front outlet in the off position. When I got in the car this morning (Sunday), the radio and climate controls wouldn't turn on. The car information system buttons still worked, but I couldn't control AC or heat, use the heated seats, or use Bluetooth (since it works via the radio). Has anyone else had anything like this? I checked the fuses related to these systems, but nothing looked blown. The clock and temperature gauges still work, but I'm not able to actually use the climate/radio controls. I haven't checked the steering wheel controls. Please make suggestions if you have any. Thanks! Other than this problem I love my new car and would definitely recommend it to someone looking for a small SUV.
  • Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Aren't those highway estimates at 55mph? How close were you to that figure. If running 65 to 70 then 26 for a box on wheels so to speak isn't all bad.

=====================================

No - they are not for 55 mph. If you get 23 mpg in the city, then the hwy figure at 26 mpg must be in 3rd gear. Something doesn't compute unless you're driving 85 mph on the hwy with that 1300 lb. trailer behind you.
  • Options
    runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    This weekend I ran 300 miles round trip, 95% at 70-74 on I287 and I95 and averaged 27.1 mpg. I'll take it on the 4cyl AWD.
  • Options
    geohovgeohov Member Posts: 23
    Those are great numbers. How about a report from someone with the 6 cylinder engine?
  • Options
    alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    "For a car that stickered at nearly 37K"... you spent 37K on this thing??? :confuse:
  • Options
    pozgpozg Member Posts: 1
    I am still waiting for my 4cyl 2LT to be delivered, approaching week 7 now.
    When I ordered it I decided against paying for the cargo net and cover thinking that I could find a net on my own. Does anyone know where to buy just a plain net, not the type that looks like a basket? ( I don't care about the cargo cover )

Also, I ordered the 18" wheels... and am having doubts about that decision. I am concerned about the ride being too rough and how they will handle in the snow. Anyone care to comment? I have been driving a 94 camaro as my main vehicle and according to my husband am not too bad on tires, so I'm just hoping that I didn't make a mistake.
  • Options
    smithpesmithpe Member Posts: 13
    My 2010 LS measures the same as rocketent's : 85" to the Chevy Bowtie. You better plan on at least 86" with no bounce.
  • Options
    There is a cargo net up on eBay right now, but at the GM retail price. Do you actually use that net? I've had 3 in my past GMs and never used any of them. I do use one as a barrier across the stairs on my deck to keep dog from wandering off. :-)
    What I do miss are the roof carrier slats. I didn't realize they are now an option or I would have fanagled them to be included at the sale.

The 18" wheels on the Terrain I drove were a bit bouncy, but that could be because they are over pressure. I suggest you drive one with18's at the right pressure 35-37 psi. When I picked my Nox, the tires were 41 psi from the factory. I drove away noticed some bounce, pulled over and released them to 37 psi and a much more comfortable ride.
  • Options
    Instead of talking at the radio, trying facing the ceiling above the driver's head where the speaker is mounted, from the driver's seat.
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    My past couple of cars have had the cargo nets in them and it seems like all I do is unhook them to carry something and then when I get tired of it being in the way hook it back up just to have to repeat it all over again next time. Since I'm tall and have my seat all the way back anything I need to carry in the net I just place on the floor in the back seat unless it is something like paint or the likes that could damage the interior.
  • Options
    Wife has a 07 STS that has voice everything and I could never make it work correctly first time or sometimes 2nd or 3rd time. Most times it don't work right at all. Wife's lease is just about up and she bought a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with Nav and sync. I don't care if stopped or going 70 the sync which is where you push button and give it a command that it in a week of playing with it has worked first time EVERYTIME. GM has had their voice system for about 5 years that I know of and maybe longer but I have never heard anyone say how well it works. The Ford I can't say on the phone part of it as I don't have a cell but every other command works first time so I don't see why the phone part wouldn't. I hang out on the Fusion board on another site and no one complains about it not working if they have a compatible phone. I have my thumb drive plugged into the USB port with a few hundred songs on it in no order and push the button and say "USB" It switches to USB and says say a command. I say Artist Neil Diamond and it starts playing all the Neil Diamond music it finds on the thumb drive. This is a Microsoft system and unlike Windows Vista this really works. :blush:
  • Options
    urdeadurdead Member Posts: 13
    I will give you the suggestion I was given by Chevrolet for my electrical problems. Just don't plug the adapter in. :P Did your radio work when you unplugged the radar detector? Also try remote start if you have it while the detector is plugged in.
  • Options
    elisa81elisa81 Member Posts: 38
    Oh.. I do that. I've decided it's not the car's bluetooth, but my cell phone that is being silly. So, I now have to hit the buttons on my cell phone telling it who to call, and then talk normally through the car's bluetooth. It's an annoyance, but I can manage until I convince my husband that I need to replace my expensive touch cell phone. :) I might also try to re-train my cell phone to see if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    Yeah.. I love the Ford Sync and how it works with a thumb drive. Yet, I knew I wanted a 2010 NOX. I truly believe my cell phone is the problem (unfortunately) instead of the bluetooth on the car. The car clearly understands my commands and I only have trouble when it's being used as the pass through to my cell phone, and my cell phone is the one talking to me. ::Sigh:: oh well.

My Aux Port works amazingly well with my IPOD. I try to always unplug it when I get out of the car, yet forget sometimes and then have to unplug and replug for it to be recognized. I just wish I could find specific playlists or albums through my steering wheel controls instead of having to reach up to the stereo. Yet, it's not a far reach and now that I've had almost 2 weeks with the car, I'm great with all of the buttons on the stack. Plus, a lot of the time I'd rather listen to XM radio anyway.

Random information for those who are curious.. I have a 2LT 4cyl FWD. With my first tank of gas provided by the dealer I got an average of 25mpg (approx. 340 miles) in the city/interstate without ECO on. For the second tank of gas I have turned on the ECO and am running between 27 and 28 mpg. Not bad saying my daily commute is at least 20 miles each way and includes city and interstate driving in hilly Missouri. My husband and I are driving up to Illinois in about a month and I'm looking forward to hopefully hitting that 34 mpg mark on the interstate. Based on numbers I'm seeing now, I'm very optimistic!

I've learned it's all about how you drive the vehicle however. I drive with the instant mpg numbers on my info screen. It's pretty much teaching me how to not be an aggressive driver after my years of lead food driving with my various pontiacs. It's almost like a game to me, to see how high I can get my MPG's up to.

Just thought I'd share! :)
  • Options
    If it had been my choice I'd most likely got the Nox but since the wife is buying it she chose the Fusion Hybrid. I have to say it is a nice car for the money but I have always liked having at least one 4 X 4 during the winter. This will be the first winter without one in near memory.
  • Options
    hopkibaehopkibae Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone comment on the 4 cylinder Equinox in hilly areas?
  • Options
    ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    I have a 4 cyl AWD. I travel through a few areas that are fairly hilly, but certainly not mountain-type terrain. The 4 cyl is somewhat lacking in torque, so it makes up for it with a lot of downshifts from the 6 speed transmission - keeping the engine wound up pretty tight when climbing steep hills.

The frequent downshifts and high RPM engine noise bothered me a bit at first, but I got used to it pretty quick and I don't even notice it now.

Bottom line is that the 4 cyl will get the job done, but its not as smooth and quiet on the uphill side as a nice high torque V6 would be.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I know I will be torn between a 4 and a 6. I think if gas is stable I will go for a 6 but if gas keeps going up, I'll go for a 4.

I've always been a V6 guy but it will be my wife ferrying around kids that will be driving it.
  • Options
    fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    Just got the NOX Ls 4cylinder.

Look: Impressive inside and out, Mocha color. Interior and the instrument panel is well laid out. Have not found any misaligned pieces.

Comfort: Seats are comfortable. with good lumbar support, wife complainted A pillar being too wide. passenger and luggage space are ample, especially compare to a midsize sedan (same fuel economy)

Drive: smooth and firm on good roads, quiet interior. On bumpy road, feels a bit harsh, maybe due to 18in tire inflated to 35psi?
    First two day feel a bit rattle under the passenger seat, disappeared after two days, may come back later, do not know.
    ECO button lowers the idle speed about 50RPM from 750 to 700, and I can feel the small vibration under the seat. With Eco button off, everything is normal.

Economy: two weeks drive one tank gas. computer read 22.4. 90% local.

Overall, quite satisfied, and looking forward to drive everyday.
  • Options
    Congrats!

I have not heard good things about the Eco mode and I also read it really didn't save much gas either.
  • Options
    starfleetstarfleet Member Posts: 18
    I was able to find this on the net.......It's not a lot, but it gives you a general idea on how the noise cancellation works......Hope it helps!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/BusinessProducts/CarAudioSystems- /2010-Chevy-Equinox
  • Options
    10lt210lt2 Member Posts: 18
    I just got my 10 2LT 4 cylinder and drove to work for two days (Car is brand new and not broken in (170 total miles). The trip computer reports 32.4 mpg for two days of work (60 miles for work each day). That is fantastic. I hit some road construction and several red lights each way to work and still beat 32 mpg.

I am thrilled. This was my main concern. Some have reported less mpg. Other than that, the cars initial quality is perfect.

The only things I would improve are.

1. The passenger seat is a little high for me. I am very tall. They should have lowered the seat a little. The power driver seat will lower for me and it is perfect.
    2. The ride is a little bumpy. Maybe its the hard tires with max pressure. I have already gotten used to this. It is just a little less smooth than I expected.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "General Motors will invest nearly $100 million in a Canadian plant and call back all laid-off workers to boost production of its Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, Toronto's Globe and Mail reports."

GM Invests to Boost Equinox, Terrain Production (AutoObserver)

• Options
    The power driver seat will lower for me and it is perfect.

Looks like you're the designated driver :blush:

The ride is a little bumpy. Maybe its the hard tires with max pressure.

Check the tire pressure, 37 seems to be the optimum pressure to eliminate bumpiness, unless you're on 18 inch tires. 18's seem to have a little more hop in the them.

Last weekend I was driving home from the airport on a newly paved road. The ride was so smooth, that I closed my eyes for a sec and couldn't tell I was driving. Absolutely no vibration, not even the feel of the road through the steering wheel. No road noise. Sheer pleasure.
  • Options
    roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    You should thank the paving crew for the smooth ride. :)
  • Options
    Not surprised. My Chevy dealer has zero on the lot. The salesman I dealt with said they can't keep on in stock and many of them are sold before they arrive.
  • Options
    wildemc18wildemc18 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a 2010 Equinox and trying to decide between a 1LT with a few options and 2LT. Something that I can't find anywhere is the mention for the 2LT's "Advanced Automatic climate control". This is not on the 1LT or LS. Does anyone have any idea what this is?

I know that it's only one-zone, but wondering if its the actual temperature selection instead of the manual dial. Any ideas?
  • Options
    charla1charla1 Member Posts: 10
    Yes, it's actual temperature selection. The 2LT also comes with remote start, and heated, leather seats are an option. You can program your temperature selection, then put it on "automatic". When you start the car using the remote, the heat (or air conditioner, depending on conditions) and the seat warmers automatically turn on. Those heated seats feel wonderful on a cold day. :)
  • Options
    I know that it's only one-zone, but wondering if its the actual temperature selection instead of the manual dial.

The temp you want appears on the radio front. +/- in 1 degree increments with the dial.
  • Options
    I have a 2LT and love auto climate control. When you get into the car you can hit the button that says "auto" and select the exact temperature you want the interior of the car to stay throughout your drive. Your interior and exterior temperatures are displayed across the top of your radio system (I do not have NAV). The climate control then gets going with heat or air to hit that temp and keep it at that mark. You are able to slow the fan speed down after you've selected your temperature, if you need to use bluetooth, etc. It will just take longer getting to your ideal temp.

Is this the info you were looking fore? Let me know if you have any other questions about the 2LT. I am so glad I went with it instead of the 1LT! Definately worth the extra $$!
  • Options
    blue_boxblue_box Member Posts: 4
    First post on the forums! Long one, sorry, but I don't have time to post often.

My wife wanted (and deserves) her first new car, but last year I made her wait after hearing about the 2010 redesign. Good thing I did. ;)

Her 1LT 4cyl arrived last week. Cardinal red, titanium/black interior, with rearview camera, interface package, cargo management, and power sunroof as the only options. Considered the 2LT, but wanted to keep the total cost under $25K after all costs/credits; couldn't see paying $2K more for climate control, foglamps, and a "better" stereo, considering she already wanted the $1K sunroof option.

MSRP: 25960 Paid: 24450 after $500 60-day waiver. No ad fees, markups, etc. I negotiated through emailing a dozen dealers, but honestly, the first one offered this price and no-one beat it. My old trade-in covered the taxes/tags/title cost. Ordered 8/28; Delivered 11/11.

Highlights:

- Ride; tight, but comfortable. Not as jerky front-to-back as RAV4 or CRV thanks to longer wheelbase. Choppyness on rough patches no worse than most cars, but seems better than the other crossovers I've tested. 3800lbs helps here.

- Seating; Initially, I thought they were a bit stiff, but once you ride in it for a while your legs and back begin to appreciate it. Fabric looks quite durable, and the red stitching makes a nice touch. Rear seats have recline positioning; most comfortable rear seats I've ever been in.

- Interior; NOT cheap looking/feeling to me (I don't know where people get the idea; it's a $25K+ crossover, not a $45K+ luxmobus). Light-years better design/feel/ergo than RAV4/CRV. We tested a Venza and thought there was just as much plasticky parts in that. (The Venza dash is football-field HUGE (and sunglare-y), and though there's a few less chrome-y bits, the base model has a weird matte pattern where the fake wood normally goes in the up-scale model.) Switchgear feel is quality-nice, and once you read the quick intro manual, the center console layout is user friendly. Almost missed where the dashlight dimmer is; just left of the steering column, kind of hidden. Took my wife a couple days to get used to having the door lock button on the center stack.

- Again, There Is NOT Too Much Interior Chrome! Ok, dating myself. I'm a 50's cruiser / 60's musclecar fan. Chrome, chrome, chrome. Haven't had one instance of blindness-by-sun-reflecting-off-the-chrome yet.

- Ride Height: My wife is only 5'3", and she feels like it has a "commanding view" of the road. Yes, it's up high enough. Not Tahoe-high, but higher than a Venza, and just as good as a RAV4/CRV. Me, I'm a sports-car type and like 'em low-slung, but even I feel comfortable in it, which brings me to...

- Handling; the electric steering works quite well on the highway, with good on-center feel. Inspires confidence. Reviewers say it's mushy in the turns? Hey, this ain't no sports car! Much easier to handle at parking-lot speeds because of it. I have no complaints. Besides, GM is *finally* putting good rubber on their cars (Michelin, in this case)! Hoo-rah! Sorry, Goodyear. Too many years of noisy, bad-wearing tires. (I'm totally in agreement with the Pirelli's on the Camaro, too.)

- Drivetrain; Engine revs willingly, only until the mid-upper rev range does engine noise make it into the supremely quiet cabin. Slushbox works smooth and well, taking only a little more time upshifting than I'm used to. There's no unusual amount of engine braking; downshifts are nearly undetectable.

- Quiet; did I say the cabin is quiet? Cars going by in the opposite lane barely emit the slightest whish, and with the radio on, you can't even hear that. You can easily hear an ambulance siren from way off though, trust me. Wind noise/buffeting with the windows rolled down and sunroof open is minimal.

- Stereo; Yes, the basic stereo is just fine. I was an audio nut many moons ago, and think most of today's basic OEM car stereos are so good it hardly pays to get the brand-name upsell.

- Noise; The only thing I've noticed is an intermittent squeak when getting in/out of the driver's side. Probably that new suspension bushing rubber, once broken in it will go away. Otherwise, this thing is tight. Doors and trunklid close with a very nice quality thunk.

- Room; Plenty. Might not spec out to Forester/CRV/RAV4 volumes, but what's there is more functional primarily because of that wonderful sliding back seat. With a rear-facing infant seat behind the passenger seat, there's more than enough legroom up front for me (I'm 6'2"), and there's still a two or three-inch gap between the seat-back and the car-seat. We also have a booster seat for the two-year-old behind the drivers seat, and he won't be kicking the seat back for a few years. Cargo space is quite useful; my wife is a high-school teacher and kept a 70qt. storage tote, blankets, books, coats, a stroller, and other stuff in her car trunk; there's room for all that and more. Center armrest storage fits her 15" MacBook with a cover on, but not in a laptop bag. Map pockets on the doors are a bit shallow, but there's one on the passenger side of the center console that works better.

There are so many nice touches that I haven't pointed out, but the only thing on this car I could have wished for would be an HDRadio-capable stereo, XM be damned. Besides, we both have iPods. We're not paying the XM toll going forward, but we probably will keep the OnStar "safe & sound" subscription next year. After all, she's footing that bill. :)

We'll see how it is a few months from now, but at the moment, we're very pleased. Welcome back, Chevy; welcome back, GM.
  • Options
    charla1charla1 Member Posts: 10
    Excellent review! I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your/your wife's new Equinox. We've had ours for 3 weeks and love it. Smooth, quiet, and fun to drive...besides looking good. Congratulations!
  • Options
    mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Great post.I test drove the base Equinox,LS I think,and loved it,but it was just a couple thousand above or price range,so we are getting a Hyundai Elantra Touring SE which will be about $3000 less.If expense was not an issue,would have bout the Chevy.
  • Options
    You simply set the temperature. It does the rest. You can turn off the AC and direct the flow to different vents if you like. You can also manually set the fan if you like. I have not had to touch mine for a while. It works pretty well.
  • Options
    blue_boxblue_box Member Posts: 4
    Agreed, the Hyundai's are a good value if price is a concern. It was in our case too; we looked at the Santa Fe and Tuscon, but they both didn't seem as "refined" (Vera Cruz is a different story, tho...). Ride, interior, materials... but still a good value, great warranty, and pretty reliable. Elantra touring isn't in the crossover class, but does offer a lot of room inside.

Looked at the V6 RAV4, but it's priced much higher. The four-banger just doesn't offer equivalent features; add things the Equinox offers like floor mats(!), XM radio, iPod interface, remote start, etc. and all of a sudden it's $24300, and you still have a 4-speed drivetrain that only gets 28hwy.

To me, the CRV is just butt-ugly inside and out and the Honda dealer thinks they walk on water so they price them accordingly. Equivalent model to ours starts at $24500. Spartan interior, 5-speed only, rougher ride, only 28hwy.

Since it was the wifey's first new ride, the few extra bucks were worth putting out. Besides, the Equinox has better crash ratings (5-star all-around front/rear/side) than the Santa Fe, CRV or RAV4. With two kids, it was a no-brainer. :)
  • Options
    First week impressions - 1LT 4cyl FWD w/options by

Your review is similar to my thoughts on my 2LT. This thing is great.
  • Options
    The Hyundai will have all of those features except for remote start.It also has the moon roof and heated seats,all for less than $20,000 MSRP.(with 5 speed manual)Of course as I said I like the Equinox better,but I am retired so money does matter even if it's only a difference of $50 per month or so.

PS I was rereading my previous post and am I ever embarrassed.The spelling was atrocious.I really do know how to spell,I must learn to check what I wrote before I post.
  • Options
    It's amazing how good you get reading "chat typo" after hanging around the forum for a couple of hours. :)

Don't sweat it (but there is a spell checker button in the posting box).
  • Options
    "GM announced that the 2010 Chevy Equinox will get a programmable lift gate as an option, a feature typically found only on more expensive vehicles. The lift gate can be set to open fully or at a specific height via a knob on the overhead console and then pressing a button on the lift gate to lock the height setting."

Equinox Gets Programmable Lift Gate (Edmunds Daily)

• Options
    cusefancusefan Member Posts: 2
    I love my 2010 Chevy Equinox. My biggest complaint, is the audio system. I have a USB thumb drive which has all CD's I ever bought encoded in MP3 format. When I start the car, I navigate to the folder I want to play songs from and set up the system to for shuffle play. When I shut the car off and start it back up again, whatever song was playing last will resume where it left off but the folder I programmed is lost. The system jumps back the the root directory and it disables the shuffle play as well. Minor annoyance but when I have to look away from the road to reset this every time then that is safety concern. Clearly the system has the ability to store things when the car is off as it can pick up on the last song playing yet it does not remember the folder or the state of the shuffle setting. The shuffle play also seems a little un-random to me as well.
  • Options
    This just came out today? Interesting.. I have this feature on my '10 NOX.. and have had my vehicle for almost 3 months. It is one of my favorite features on my vehicle and has come in handy during downpours of rain! I have set the 3/4 height to be just above my head, as my husband and I are almost the exact same height. Needless to say I highly recommend this feature for anyone who is looking for a NOX with "extras".
  • Options
    Great review Blue Box. I've got about 10,000 miles on my 4cyl 1LT AWD now, and I would agree with about 95% of your assessment (Including your XM be damned comment) :shades: I was a long-time XM subscriber, but dumped them when most of the stations I listened to went away when they merged with Sirius. Instead of an Ipod, I got a Slacker G2 internet radio player - and I don't miss XM at all.
  • Options
    I don't have the USB interface, but I can certainly understand your complaint. I wonder if the USB interface is firmware upgradeable? If so, this should be something that GM can correct (if enough people complain about it). Call GM to complain about it, and talk to your dealer periodically, to see if any firmware updates are available.
  • Options
    XM has kept me for a year, they keep offering me 3 more months for $15 ($5/mo).

I like it but it's not worth $15/mo.

We shall see how long they keep extending my deal.
  • Options
    You're lucky, I rejected and they disconnected within 7 days.
  • Options
    I'll let you know what happens. My 3 months is up next week.

If it's gone, it's gone. My MP3 player has 100 CDs on it so I won't miss it that much.
  • Options
    sagi1971sagi1971 Member Posts: 5
    After a lot of headaches in finally getting one, I closed the deal on my Equinox on Thursday 12/3.

Its Black Granite (looks Gray in direct sunlight), 2LT AWD, Sunroof, leather seats and chrome package...

It drives better than any car I have ever owned, including a Volvo and a Mercedes. It handles the potholes on Chicago streets with NO problems... Its quiet. The seats are very supportive. The 4 cylinder is very responsive...

I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a attractive, yet functional ride.. Its going to snow this week, so I will report back to how the AWD handles the wet stuff.">
  • Options
    Are you implying that there are pot-holes in Chicago?
  • Options
    back2frontback2front Member Posts: 42
    I live in Peoria Il, Illinois has pot holes with a few roads attached. :P
  • Options
    sagi1971sagi1971 Member Posts: 5
    We have as many potholes as we have crooked politicians....