Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Bug Reborn!

Comments

• Options
    gotnadsgotnads Member Posts: 19
    It is called sarcasm. Or pointing out asburdity by being absurd. Whatever. But I felt it to be pointless to compare a NB with an Integra. They are too dissimilar to be in the same category. A person may be in the place of trying to decide which he likes more, but these cars are not similar.
  • Options
    moorea1moorea1 Member Posts: 1
    i am going to buy a 5 speed beetle tomorrow. any negative feedback. now or forever hold your peace/ hare krishna
  • Options
    pam2pam2 Member Posts: 185
    Dear Isellhondas,

I sent a message to your e-mail address listed on your profile. I had some specific questions about Hondas. Did you get it? Will you be writing back to me?

Pam
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Pam, I'll take a look at my E-Mail since you asked me to. I rarely check the isellhonda one so I hope your message wasen't dumped.

New beetle lovers: I guess I don't see what you see in these things...but...to each his own.

Hope the reliability long term is better than other VW's.
  • Options
    TexasAggieTexasAggie Member Posts: 9
    isellhondas- Why do you find it necessary to disparage a car simply because it isn't a honda? This snide attitude you so frequently display simply reinforces the negative image many people have of your profession. If that was your goal, congratulations, you succeeded.
  • Options
    ganbwannabeganbwannabe Member Posts: 2
    I am going to place my $500 deposit (refundable for any reason) this week. I went a month ago to 2 different dealers. The one closer to my home and office just let me in, look at the lock NB for 20 minutes, and didn't even say a word to me. Heck, I was wearing a tie and everything. Then, I took a little drive to another local dealer, on the other side of the city (Atlanta). I was greeted at the door, sat in it, and even got to test drive it. Can you guess what dealer I will be doing business with?? I am not in a hurry for it. I am planning on a December purchase. I am driving a car now that has no air, or vent. It is very hot some days, but well worth the wait to get the car I have waited 4 years to come out, since Concept One. Plus, a large downpayment helps keep the payment low too.
  • Options
    Texas Aggie,

Snide?...You might want to re-read your own post to me. I've never said anything bad about V.W. Their reputation is well known. To each his own...If you love the NB, go for it!!
  • Options
    rsmartrsmart Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone give me the pro's and con's of the new beetle TDI engine compared to the gasoline? I am considering buying a NB and like the idea of 45 miles per gallon of fuel. How is the TDI for performance, costs of repairs, maintenance, smell, quick starts, etc.
    Ross
  • Options
    I sent the e-mail to you again in case it got dumped. Would love to hear from you!

Pam
  • Options
    Texas Aggie,

Isellhondas response didn't seem snide to me. In fact, I have to agree with him about not really understanding why everyone is raving over the New Beetle. I looked at it and test drove it - I was very disappointed and decided not to buy one. But like Isellhondas said, "To each his own".

It's hard NOTto favor Hondas if you sell them or own them. They truly are excellent cars. This is something you wouldn't understand if you haven't owned one. I see on your profile that you own a 1998 Mustang? Going from a Mustang to a New Beetle would probably be much easier than going from a Honda to a New Beetle.

Gig'Em Aggies!
  • Options
    Pam2,

Thank you for your support. Yes, I do have a tendency to stir the pot once in awhile. I did respond to your E-mail. The isellhondas e-mail address is one I don't check often and while responding to yout questions I dumped your message. My fault, sorry.
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Yes, as I always say, the right car for you is the right car for YOU!

Lots of people love the NB and if that includes you, buy one! Although I am a three time VW owner and love them all, I'm just not cool enough to own a NB. Oh well, I'll just stick with my Golf!! :-)

carlady/host
  • Options
    Pam2-
    Just got my mustang about six weeks ago, Don't play on getting rid of it anytime soon, just dropped in here to see comments about the new beetle. Sorry if I offended anyone, it just seems to me that the honda salesman likes to cut down non-Hondas, just my opinion.
  • Options
    Oh and I think its great to boost your own lineup. What I was talking about was isellhondsas comment and others I have read that are disparaging to non Hondas. If you love Honda, great, but you don't have to tear down other cars. Again just my opinion.
  • Options
    ganbwannabeganbwannabe Member Posts: 2
    I just put my deposit down tonight for my NB. I also found out that models w/o the sport package are showing up in August at my dealer. I am opting for anything, as long as it is either silver or white, with grey interior, and the conv. pkg. I could care less if it has rims or not, or even fog lamps...I live in Atlanta, and fog isn't that bad here. :) Now, I only have to wait 4-5 more months, due to I want to save a ton of money for a down payment.
  • Options
    Pam2,
    Thank you for the response. We are still looking at the NB. I am checking out the Pros and Cons of the diesel-TDI engine. There is a real following for the TDI out there. Car and Road Magazine did a review of the NB TDI in the lastest Aug 1998 issue. They found the performance with the gas engine about equal, but as all know, about double on the fuel mileage. They said you need to drive about 79,000 miles to breakeven on the higher cost for the TDI engine.

When I talked to the Berkeley dealer, last weekend, he dropped from 2K over the MSRP to 1K over within a minute. I think they will go for MSRP. The question for me is will they let one out for 4-5% over the invoice. I will not pay over the MSRP. I will wait or go back to another Accord, if they will not come down any more. I will find out this Saturday.
    Ross
  • Options
    Ross,

Your other consideration is an Accord? What is it about the New Beetle that's making you want it over the Accord? I wasn't able to make the switch. I thought the Beetle just didn't have enough power and rode too rough. Plus, it's too small to be my only car. It just didn't "feel" right to me. I was thinking it's because I'm so used to Hondas.

You can sure try to get the dealer to come down below MSRP, but I wouldn't really expect too much. They really don't have any reason to with people waiting in line to buy the car at MSRP.

Let me know what you find out and good luck!

Pam
  • Options
    indexindex Member Posts: 2
    rsmart-

Another place with a lot of info on the TDI engine (a bunch of dieselhead enthusiasts) is
    http://users.uniserve.com/~fred_v

Check the "TDI messages" for all kinds of discussion.

RJ
  • Options
    Pam,
    We are hooked on Honda and accords. We had a '76 civic for 19 years, 350,000 miles and few major repairs. Currently we have a 12 year old accord with 220,000 miles. It is still giving us good service. We also have a Dodge Carvan 10 years old, and not such a good story to tell. You can see that we drive our cars until they die of metal fatigue.

We are going to buy another accord, probably an EX 4 cylinders, manual. Fortunately it feels and drives just like the 86 accord, newr of course, more power, a wonderful car. Unfortunately it feels and drives just like the 86 accord. It is like buying same car. We want something differ in look and feel. The NB has really caught our eye. I also like the idea of TDI engine.

The NB will be a second car to commute, drive around town, have fun on the road and give to my Daughter in 4 to 5 years (she is 14). If can not get MSRP or lower we will wait. We will get another accord in 1 to 2 years.
    Ross
  • Options
    Thank you, Index, for the lead on NB TDI engines and information. I found the site two nights ago through Yahoo and I have been spending my evenings reading through their testimonials. These are serious Diesel folks.
    Ross
  • Options
    Ross,

OK, now I see it! I think the New Beetle wouldn't be too bad for a 2nd fun car. I would probably consider it more myself if it wasn't to be my only car. I'm kind of sorry that I don't like it more than I do. It's pretty cute when you see one driving down the road. Very unique - at least for now!

I, too, have had Hondas for a long time. I started out with a 1986 Civic, then a 1988 Accord, and now my 1990 Acura Integra. I'll probably buy a Honda next year. I just can decide between the Civic, Accord, or Integra. I also can't decide between new and maybe a 1997 model.

Good luck!

Pam
  • Options
    Yes, count me too among those of us who regret we're just not "cool" enough to own a New Beetle. It's just not me, but I wish it was! ;-)

carlady/host
  • Options
    To everyone who has bought a New Beetle:

I would like to know what car you had right before the New Beetle. What car are you coming from?

Pam
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Hello every one-

Just stopping by again to read some of the recent posts, so I'll leave a few thoughts.

I've been quite taken by the NB's cuteness... and of course the great reviews and safety ratings certainly makes it an impressive little package. I don't have the New Beatle; I drive a Nissan Quest van. The size of the NB certainly wouldn't be enough space for my present needs. However, I wish one of my close friends would buy one. AND, I've even been trying to talk some of my friends, that are thinking of buying a new car, into getting the New Beatle. Then I could have an occasional ride in it... right? ;-) Now if I didn't need much space and had to choose between the NB and a Civic or Integra, it would be the NB. Bottom line: It would be a lot more interesting. Yes, INTERESTING is important to me.
    btw, I used to drive a Honda Civic and the Accord LX.
  • Options
    Pocahontas,

Yes, I agree that the New Beetle is cute and interesting. But have you driven one? I would be curious to know what you think of the way it drives.

Pam
  • Options
    mgrmgr Member Posts: 40
    Very interested in the NB, although I'll probably wait a couple of years to purchase....maybe. Has anyone heard of a possible production date for a convertible model? I have heard everything from next year to never.
  • Options
    buggedbugged Member Posts: 2
    Hey folks,
    First of all I would like to say I have done a ton of reading on the beetle. Plus, I'm coming from the Honda patron my last two cars have been Civics. Without a doubt, Honda makes wonderful cars. I had never had a problem with them. I plan to purchase a Beetle in the coming weeks, my only concern is VW eletrics. I had a VW Rabbit years ago when in H.S. and can only remember having electrical and clutch cable difficulties. That was, yikes 13 years ago. Anyhoo, I'm prepared for the plunge. But what about Silver beetles, please see my earlier topic message, I have a lot of other concerns. Thanks.
    bugged
  • Options
    k273k273 Member Posts: 26
    I'm presently shopping for a new beetle. Who isn't? For starters, I'm under the impression the market is cooling down a tad little bit. It's about time! I've visited 8 dealerships so far and only one quoted me a price above MSRP. Better still, some dealers offered to sell the CD changer at cost and one of them even offered to include it at no extra charge. Of course, the big problem is there's no way to get your hands on a bug within two months - unless someone else gives it up. What's more, the remaining 98 models available - the August production in Puebla - don't feature the sports package and only the base 99 models - no price yet - have appeared on the ordering lists so far... hey but that's not the reason why I'm writing this message.

I have a hard time choosing an exterior color for the Beetle. I like yellow best, but apparently yellow bugs are lemon-like in more than one sense. BASF (or whatever VW subcontractor) had a hard time matching the color on plastic and metal pieces and apparently the problems didn't stop there. One of my neighbours bought several Beetles - two of them yellow. For each one of these yellow cars he was handed by the dealer a large jar of jelly or wax and he was instructed to apply it every 3 months to ward off fading and tarnishing of the pigment. Yikes, it sounds like a mess to me! He also told me that other colors such as blue or silver are weak and prone to dulling and that the only 100% safe one would be black (yurk). I need a second opinion here. The salesmen I've questioned so far are in the dark. Has anybody experienced color problems or heard anything about them? I also wonder if they concern all vehicules produced so far or only some particular runs. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with cars and I don't have an eye yet to tell how well a particular color will age. In that sense, any color reccomendation for the Beetle would be welcomed. The red looks the same to me as on the Golf and 5-year old Golfs do look pretty good, don't they?

ice point
  • Options
    TavisTavis Member Posts: 8
    Just checking in... I got my New Beetle back after a total 9 days without it. They ended up having to replace the whole computer. Everything seems fine now. I had brought it in b/c of a/c trouble, and they found all sorts of weird error codes in the diagnostic system. All under warranty of course. Right now I am still waiting to hear whether VW will cover part of my next lease payment.

Recently took the car down the shore for the weekend, its first reasonably big trip (about 100 miles each way). Also its first time on the highway for longer than 10 minutes at a time. I was pleasantly surprised with the engine, no difficulty passing or accelerating at all. The one touch up windows made tolls a breeze.

Anyone know if there are plans to add the AWD system or the clutchless stick to the New Beetle anytime soon?

Someone asked about paint problems. Mine is red, and no problems with the color that I've noticed. I had originally wanted a silver one, but the red has really grown on me. I can't wait to see the dark blue ones, if they have even started making them yet.
  • Options
    wyatt_wwyatt_w Member Posts: 1
    How many seatbelts are in the back? Could three kids fit across the back and be secured?
  • Options
    DanaRDanaR Member Posts: 37
    My blue NB TDI just turned over 5,000 miles, and it continues to impress me with the low-end power and smoothness. On the last trip from Portland, Oregon to No. Calif, it cruised effortlessly at 70-80 mph and still gave 49 mpg.
    The only problem so far (besides the recall) has been a bad glow plug. I'm expecting this engine to go over 200K+ miles, as my previous Rabbit diesel engine did. I certainly recommend the NB and especially the TDI engine!
    As far as the best color, white is by far the easiest color for longevity. It never fades, and does not show scratches. You just have to keep it washed.
    - Dana
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I currently own a Bright Blue TDI which I love! I previously owned a 91 Mitsubishi Galant (which was also a very good and reliable car - sold to relatives.) I've had virtually no problems with my car. Gets 50+ mpg on highway trips 43 in town and has been a real treat to own. The dealer's been great. I plan on storing it in winter. So far the experience has been wonderful. I even found a way to store the golf clubs in the back with the back seat up.
  • Options
    k273k273 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks Dana for your suggestion. You're right, white does age pretty well, if you're able to keep rust at bay. I live in Montreal, Canada, and winters around here are quite tough rust-wise, but I guess all you have to do, is keep your car clean. Anyway, I'll definetly consider white as an option from now on. Another option I'll consider is the TDI engine. Everybody seems to be so satisfied with it. I wonder why most of the VW salesmen I've spoken to, tried to steer me away from the TDI. The only argument I've heard so far against that engine - besides its higher price - is that it might be more difficult to start it during the winter. Who knows?
  • Options
    marmichmarmich Member Posts: 7
    Hi folks. Please feel free to direct me elsewhere if this isn't the appropriate place to post this. My girlfriend placed an order for a new VW Beetle back in March. The salesman said she would have to wait up to 60 days for the car. She had that written into the contract and paid a deposit. Here we are four months later and still no car. The dealer is utterly unresponsive, and beyond the usual excuses (misallocation, multiple recalls and other mix-ups) has misled her repeatedly. While the obvious thing would be to withdraw the order, my girlfriend is still crazy for the car.

Any suggestions on how I can help her become a squeakier wheel? She just wrote a note to the president of VW as well as the owner of the dealer. Our suspicion is that the car is so popular that the dealer is selling everything he can get his hands on for a premium, which means that our earlier order, which we placed at MSRP (which is still fairly profitable for them) is likely to be pushed indefinitely.

What do you think of my posting a somewhat more detailed letter of our travails here and elsewhere? A few things are embarassingly sleazy and I'd be happy to point out the participants in an appropriate way. Was thinking of posting the letter she wrote to the president of VW USA.

Other suggestions?
  • Options
    ssublettssublett Member Posts: 2
    We picked up our new red beetle with a manual transmission on June 30. It has the convenience package We are having a cd player installed presently (they go in the trunk).

Thus far, we are pleased with the Beetle. Neither my wife or I have been "muscle car" types; I guess that may be why we are quite satisfied with the power.

For those who wish to know: we have owned a Camry, a Miata, an Audi, a Mazda B-3000 truck and a Chevrolet 350 cu truck, in the last five years. Sorry, no Honda, although I am sure we would be thrilled if we had owned one...!

In any event, the Beetle came with the "convenience package" and very light colored cloth seats which we immediately "scotch guarded".
    We have taken it on one (300+ miles each way) trip and found the performance to be satisfactory-no complaints on that score, and no complaints in general. On the trip, we cruised down the road @ around 70mph+.

However, do not believe the engine will carry you as fast as the speedometer shows the car will travel. Somewhere along the line someone was extremely optimistic or was traveling down a steep grade with a very strong wind @ his or her back....

The head room in the rear is a bit cramped as is the trunk space. We hope to remedy the trunk space problem by installing a luggage rack on top. Anyone know where to get one?

The car has been fun. I would not recommend it for a large family, but if you have no more than two children and you want safe and reasonably inexpensive transportation that is kind of cute and retro, then you may wish to consider a Beetle.
  • Options
    DovDov Member Posts: 24
    I am also considering a NB TDI but for me the car will be a second car and will not see much highway driving nor will it see more than 8-10,000 km a yr. (apx. 6,000 miles). It will be driven primarily in the city. More than one dealer has told me that if I plan on using the car only for pleasure city driving, do not get the diesel. The diesel needs to be "stretched out" and if you use the car only for city , it will "kill" the car. I like the diesel for the fuel economy as well as for the low revs at speed and the pull from low speeds in any gear. Does anyone have any first hand experience with diesels that have been used for occasional city use and not "long hauls"? Everyone who I have spoken with loves their TDI but most of them put lots of miles on their car.
    TIA
  • Options
    Marmich, thanks for telling us about your girlfriend's experience trying to get her hands on a New Beetle. I'm glad she decided to contact VW and the owner of the dealership directly.

I don't know what part of the country you are in or how large your dealership is but VW seems to be allocating NB to its larger dealerships first. This may account for part of the delay. Most dealers don't want to give long waiting periods to prospective clients for fear they might go elsewhere. Seems in your girlfriend's case they were overly optimistic.

Please let us know what kind of response your girlfriend gets from VW. Rather than post her letter here, a general update from you would be fine. You may also want to visit the VW web site to see if any additional information is available and to provide feedback. Good luck!

carlady/host
  • Options
    bagraybagray Member Posts: 1
    **Question to Beetle Owners**

We've had our beetle for 5 days, and now the instrument cluster blanks in heat of the afternoon. The panel is fine at night and in the morning. Anyone with similar problems?

brandon
  • Options
    DanaRDanaR Member Posts: 37
    Brandon, it sounds as if you have a problem that needs to be looked at by the dealer. It was 100 degrees this week in Portland and I didn't notice anything strange.

To Marmich, it sound like your girlfriend's salesman is feeding her crap! The dealers have been getting a good supply of NBs in July, and there should be no reason for the delay except as you suspect, that they can get more for them by selling them to a higher bidder. Or else she ordered a color that is not being produced. My dealer was honest and showed me the list of incoming cars (in transit) so I could decide in advance exactly what I wanted. She should ask to see the same thing and be able to reserve one, and be given a general delivery date. Am I too naive?

- Dana
  • Options
    buggedbugged Member Posts: 2
    Hey volks,
    Finally drove the NB. I have unfortunately become disenchanted by the cute lil' car. Honestly, the dash takes a bit getting used to. If you are used to driving from the hood of your car for distances in front of you and placement in lanes and parking spaces, you really can't do that in the NB. The dash is it. I really felt like the engine was in the car with me. There is no glove compartment to speak of, this is why the car comes with holders in the two doors. The only things you will be able to hold in the glove compartment will be your manual and registration and maybe a flat duracel flashlight. As for performance, nothing special. I have more fun driving my '95 Civic. The car isn't hard to get used to, the stereo, seems a bit disorienting at first. My wife and I were in love with the car, but after driving it, we realized, hey, it looks great, but how are we going to see this great design from inside the car? Overall, it isn't practical, but of course. If you can afford it for your teen-ager, get it. But the small space and okay drivability has made me realized I wasted a month on research. I will recommend everyone interested in this car to check out the Aug issue of European Car magazine. The tech info is vital to prospective buyers. There is a lot under the cute little beetle shell to learn. I might be conservative in going back to Honda, but I know it to be more reliable than earlier VW I have owned. Good luck to you all. Thanks.
  • Options
    Bugged,

Thank you for your evaluation of the New Beetle. It mirrors my experience to a "T"!! I was starting to think that I was the only one with a negative thing to say about it!

I was very disappointed in the way the car drove. And I'm disappointed in all the "little things" that people are having trouble with. As a fellow Honda owner, I'm sure you can identify with this feeling!

I've decided to stay with Honda when I decide to get another car next year.

Pam
  • Options
    dyoox01dyoox01 Member Posts: 1
    Hello.
    I'm in the Chicago area, and I just bought a VW Beetle TDI. I was waondering if it would be necessaaru for me to purchase and install a block heater for the winter time.

Thanks
  • Options
    KawiKawi Member Posts: 14
    Alright, we get it pam2!
    You like the Honda better than the
    NB. We don't need every other
    post from you to remind us of this.
    Enough already!
  • Options
    FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    I second that!
  • Options
    tut, tut... ;-) Could we see some smiley faces following our suggestions to other users? :-)

I don't have an answer to your question, dyoox01, but I would be surprised to find that the answer was yes on the block heater. Between global warming and German engineering, I'll bet that's taken care of. ;-) Lurkers, any advice on this one?

carlady/host
  • Options
    bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    I don't have any first-hand experience with diesels in the city, but some observations.

MB diesels are the world standard for taxicabs.

Peugeot (sp!!) diesels were the replacement (for old Checker cabs) of choice for NY city taxis until P. pulled out of the US market.

All the "Black Cabs" in London (90%) are diesels.

Diesels have fantastic low rpm torque which is ideal for lots of low speed starts (city driving).

Sounds like a diesel will work fine for city driving. Just follow the appropriate maintenance schedule for this duty.

Bruce.
    your Hatchbacks host's personal consultant.
  • Options
    To Kawi and FEHarper:

Settle down, now! I'm just trying to express my disappointment that I won't be buying a New Beetle. I was excited when I first saw it and I still get excited when I see one driving down the road. I'm just disappointed (and maybe a little sad) that it doesn't have the performance that it should.

And I also believe my last post was addressed to "Bugged". So y'all don't need to jump all over me.

Pam
  • Options
    KawiKawi Member Posts: 14
    Carlady
    Sorry about the tone. Smiles for all. :)

Pam,
    Also pardon the tone for my last note
    but I got a little tired of reading your
    posts that seemed to be eh...'fishing' (lack
    of a better term) for something negative to say about the NB to assure yourself that you made the right decision in selecting another Honda.

"I was starting to think that I was the only one with a negative thing to say about it!"

"Isellhondas response didn't seem snide to me. In
    fact, I have to agree with him about not really
    understanding why everyone is raving over the New
    Beetle."

"Going from a Mustang to a New Beetle would probably be much easier than going from a Honda to a New Beetle."

Honda's are wonderful cars, there are numerous other boards and posts that proclaim this, my parents and friends have owned many. When I looked for a new car, the Accord was my first choice but I went with VW instead. But when you continually post why you think Honda's are better
    you give the impression (not saying that you're purposefully doing it) that you're putting down everyone else's decision to buy a NB. It seems a little insulting.

Also, this is an open forum, so even though you were addressing "Bugged's" comments you can expect others to respond to yours.

I hope this is read to be a more calm and rational explanation from my previous post.
    We're all entitled to our opinions, I've said mine, and I'll just leave it to that.
  • Options
    FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    Sorry Pam, just have to agree with Kawi on this. I don't disagree with the rational decision to purchase a Honda - obviously a great little car - but lets give VW some room. The automotive journalists (far more qualified than I) have by and large loved the New Beetle's styling, handling, appeal and safety. It was rated safest among 16 small cars tested recently. The 1.8T will be introduced this fall and thats the one I'll be personally be waiting for. Now I feel very calm........
  • Options
    Kawi,

Thanks for pointing out the impression I've been giving off. It hasn't been intentional. I don't mean to insult anyone who has purchased a New Beetle. I'm mostly disappointed in Volkswagen because the car has been so strongly promoted, but doesn't seem to be up to the standards it should be (in my opinion). I really had high hopes for this little car and had every intention of buying one. I still get the urge to go ahead and get one every now and then (like when I see one on the road)! But I'm spoiled by the performance of Honda products and don't think I would be happy with the little things that I'm hearing about that people are taking it back to the dealer for. That's why I was wondering what everyone's previous cars have been. If someone had been driving a car (I won't name any specific brands) that's not reliable, then the New Beetle would be an improvement for them and they naturally would be thrilled. But for people coming from something like a Honda, they might be disappointed. Make sense? At any rate, staying with a Honda for now is the right decision for me, and I didn't mean to put down the New Beetle to justify it.

FEHarper,

It's true what you say about the good marks the New Beetle is getting. But it seems to have some "kinks" in it. Do you think this might be because the car is so new? Will VW be able to smooth things out in the coming years? I'm wondering if they released it a little too soon. Or maybe it's just normal for the first year of a brand new car to have these problems. What's your opinion?

Pam
This discussion has been closed.