2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

VW New Beetle (Pricing & Information)

Comments

• Options
    BwummerBwummer Member Posts: 46
    Keeping in mind that the TT and NB are made by the same company, a similarity in shape is not unusual.

However, I think it looks more like a "SQUASHED" Beetle than a "stretch" Beetle.
  • Options
    genebartgenebart Member Posts: 7
    Are there such beasts out there anywhere? (for sale????) and if so,....has anyone driven one to tell of how the auto handles the different torque demands of a TDI engine?

Thanks
    Rob
  • Options
    csacpacsacpa Member Posts: 1
    Want turbo, dealer says everything is
    sticker. Turbo is a $3k adder. Still
    have not found if I can get turbo with
    automatic shift.Dealer is checking.
    When will 2000 be available. Thanks for
    comments... Is it worth it ???
  • Options
    steverdsteverd Member Posts: 1
    Specs on the NB site indicate that a center armrest is only available on the GLX model, but I thought I saw a non-turbo GLS with the armrest as well. So can I get a GLS w/ armrest?
  • Options
    k273k273 Member Posts: 26
    Hey, I just found this address at VWVortex of a site listing all VW technical bulletins, including those for the NB, in Adobe Acrobat format.

http://tech.vw.com/vw/newtech.htm

Thought it might be interesting.

k273
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Great link, k273. Thanks!

carlady/host
  • Options
    mdp_insdmdp_insd Member Posts: 1
    Sorry if I'm bringing up something that's already been discussed, but:

does anyone know if VW plans to come out with a convertible version of the new beetle in their 2000 model year?? cuz I'd buy one if they did.

- Max
  • Options
    fortmanfortman Member Posts: 9
    But VW keeps saying that they don't have any plans to put out a convertible beetle. We must simply make do!
  • Options
    pmohrpmohr Member Posts: 12
    feharper

what's your input on seatcovers and bras??

wet-okole??

thanks, pmohr
  • Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I don't think VW will build a NB convertable in 00. A place in Newport Beach Ca. does a factory like conversion to your NB for $12k insulated power top , power rear windows and all. I'll bet they did Austin Powers New Beetle. I'm sure your warranty would be gone but who cares? A GLX New Beetle convertible for around $35k give or take.
  • Options
    You may not have asked for my opinion, but I'm giving it anyway.

Don't even think of putting a bra on your Beetle -- or any other car for that matter. They have to be the ugliest automobile add on ever invented! Totally ruin the appearance of any car.

Seatcovers are a different story. They can be useful -- especially if you get the cream colored interior, which tends to show dirt easily. A personal preference, as long as you coordinate them with the flowers in your bud vase. You do have flowers in it, right?

But bra's and cars don't mix, unless its an article of clothing being worn by an occupant!
  • Options
    fortmanfortman Member Posts: 9
    Bras do indeed look ridiculous in my eyes. I hardly see the point. It's like throwing a big blanket over your nice sofa so the upholstery lasts longer. Why?
  • Options
    k273k273 Member Posts: 26
    Sorry if I am asking a question which was already answered, but at over 500 posts browsing through this thread is becoming a somewhat daunting task.

Does anybody know of a dealer in Southern CA - LA, or Calabasas to be more specific - which sells NBs for MSRP, without any add-ons? I'm looking for a regular 2.0L gas red or black NB. Thanks in advance for your help.

k273
  • Options
    scarls13scarls13 Member Posts: 11
    Hello, everyone...I'm new to this site, and I'd appreciate a bit of advice!

I just graduated from college and I'm looking at getting either a 99 GLS 2.0 Beetle, a 99 GLS 2.0 Jetta, or a 99 Dodge Stratus. I have my heart set on a Beetle, but I doubt I can afford it unless I can get it under MSRP. I've been to one dealer here in Grand Rapids, Michigan (there are two VW dealers in town), and they seemed very helpful and nice, but I haven't yet asked about price on the Beetles. I'm wondering - is there anyone here within a few hours drive of Grand Rapids that knows of a dealer that would sell for less than MSRP? And should I wait till July or August since the 2000's are coming? And finally, would you expect that my chances for a deal on a Jetta would be better since the Beetles are the hot sellers right now?

Thanks in advance!
    Steve
  • Options
    timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    My wife wants a Beetle. I have been in contact
    with the only two VW dealers within 50 miles of
    where I live and both want full MSRP (sticker
    price) for either a non-turbo or turbo GLS or GLX.
    Both dealers have 3 or 4 Beetles sitting on their
    lots, so I guess they don't have excess inventory.

My question: What prices are people paying for
    Beetles now? Full MSRP? How much under MSRP?
  • Options
    cookwcookw Member Posts: 12
    Approx. 3 weeks ago in Chesapeake, Va., I bought a new 2000 beetle.
    GLS, luxury pkg--all options except leather, auto trans.
    MSRP was 19,600. I paid 19,000 even and they installed the cd player (normally $500) and mud flaps on all four wheel openings. I consider this a good deal even tho I had to pay a $299 paperwork processing fee. Amounts to about $800 off the MSRP.
  • Options
    bug4pegbug4peg Member Posts: 15
    I'm paying MSRP for my 2000 NB, GLS 1.8T Auto w/ Luxury package & CD Changer ... I haven't heard of many paying less than MSRP, in fact, most dealers want more from what I've read.

These vehicles are in such demand, if you're not too picky, and will travel, Stohlman VW in Alexandria VA has close to 40 on their lot. You can check their inventory online at http://www.stohlmanvw.com/vs_main_vw.htm

They even have some turbos!

Good luck!
  • Options
    khamronkhamron Member Posts: 2
    On the left coast, most dealers in So. CA are asking (and getting) a premium for yellow, green, and silver NBs. I found a few dealers who will sell at MSRP or just under. Most will unashamedly tell you they are trying to make a "fair" profit by selling at $1750-5000 ABOVE sticker.

Don't get taken! Be patient and willing to walk. It's YOUR money. :~)
  • Options
    wleongwleong Member Posts: 6
    I paid MSRP for my silver GLX. Had to wait almost 4 months to get it. I live in Portland, OR. Every VW dealer in town was charging (back in May/June)3-5K above MSRP, I refused to give them my business and put a deposit with a dealer up in the Seattle area who sells their Beetle GLX's at MSRP. I had to wait a while for the car and had to drive 3 hours to get it when it came, but it was worth saving a few thousand bucks.
  • Options
    zyberzyber Member Posts: 5
    It's true. You can buy at MSRP or below but you have to be willing to wait, search for the best dealer, and be prepared to drive a good distance to meet the dealer.

TIP: Try e-mailing or faxing 50 or more dealers within a 1000 mile radius of your hometown (use the dealer search off the VW web site: www.vw.com) You'll get some pretty cool responses back. I'm talking to a couple dealers now which have offered MSRP pricing for the 2000 Beetle GLS 1.8T.

BTW, I learned about this form of shopping from Fighting Chance (www.fightingchance.com). The $25 package is a good value for your money.
  • Options
    kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
    I paid MSRP for my 2000 GLX (auto, factory CD changer for $250). I 'walked in' and got mine. They got my car in the night before and it wasn't spoken for yet.
  • Options
    archwingarchwing Member Posts: 4
    Carsdirect.com gave me a price for a GLS 1.8T that was about $1300 over MSRP, and their line is "the price we give you is better than 9 out of 10 people in your area." I've gotten 2 quotes without haggling (yet) locally, one was at MSRP and the other was about $200 under MSRP...where are the 18 that are going to gouge me? Carorder.com gave me a similar price to Carsdirect.com...anyone have experience with these sites?
  • Options
    nick38nick38 Member Posts: 1
    Paid $21,800 (MSRP) for my 2000 GLS 1.8T with everything but auto including factory CD (which makes it a GLX at $50 less)AND had the car in 1 day. (Other dealers wanted $1,500 to $2,000 above for immediate delivery.) Secret: luck and flexible on color (only ruled out 2 choices). Got dark blue, one my 3 favorites. A win all around.
  • Options
    ftlftl Member Posts: 11
    Just bought a 2000 GL at 200$ over invoice. Thought it was a good deal. No hassle, great sales staff. What a fun drive home!
  • Options
    norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Where did you buy your GL beetle? Are Beetles more reasonable prices now? I am interested in a GL Beetle too, but I do not wish to pay list? Any recommendations?

NorwayDoug

Congratulations!! What color did you get?
  • Options
    We got our 2000GL (red) at Sharrett in Hagerstown,MD. Walked in, drove, bought it on the spot.The salesmen there were not game players and we truely has a GREAT buying experiance. They were even patient with the two kids!!

Good luck. It's a FUN car!!!
  • Options
    bug4pegbug4peg Member Posts: 15
    I too bought my Beetle at Sharrett in Hagerstown, MD. They are a great dealership, but didn't bargain - I didn't push because they had what I wanted (yellow gls turbo auto w/ sunroof). I'd suggest trying Stohlman in Alexandria VA - you can check their inventory at www.stohlmanvw.com -- I just looked and they have 95 listed, even some 99's so you may be able to deal. If you've read around on these boards, you'll begin to realize that it's almost impossible to get a deal, and in some cases you are lucky to only pay sticker. Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    I started this topic, so I guess it's only fair to report that we (my wife and I) just paid nearly MSRP for her new bug. The dealer was willing to go $400 under MSRP for one that was on the lot, but my wife had to have the cold weather package and the right color, of course, so the dealer had to find one and do a dealer trade. I guess given the demand for Beetles we didn't get hosed too bad, but it still kinda rubs me the wrong way to pay that close to MSRP. Nonetheless, that was the deal we did. On the plus side, the dealer didn't try to pull any undercoating, financing or pinstriping shenanigans.
  • Options
    levesquejelevesqueje Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have input on new beetle pricing in RI?
  • Options
    I dont understand why everyone is having a hard time getting dealers who won't make deals. Our salesman was Ralph Crammer in Hagerstown.
  • Options
    zderfzderf Member Posts: 44
    Paid MSRP in June for a 1999 GLX Turbo. Paid $650 under MSRP in November of a 2000 GLX Turbo.

In fairness, the 2000 was a result of a taxpayer initiative on registration fees (from $700 down to $30 for this car) that take effect here in Washington State on January 1st. The dealers are discounting the car price that amount so they don't go bankrupt between now and January.

Happy Shopping....
  • Options
    wadeiswadeis Member Posts: 1
    Just this morning I paid $575, out the door, below sticker for this beauty. Some dealers are willing to deal you just need to search them out I had to go outside of a major city (Kansas City) to a small town fifty miles to the north (St. Joseph, MO). Greg Imports, this was the fifth dealer I called. I called them late last night and told them what I was looking for and what I had to spend and they said "ok". I went in this morning and drove home. It truly couldn't have been any easier, great bunch of people.

ps. one of the KC dealers was still asking $3000 above sticker.
  • Options
    haightfulhaightful Member Posts: 1
    I bought a silver 2000 GL Beetle two days before Christmas (I refer to my new toy as a rather large stocking stuffer). I went via Autobytel, asked for a reply via email. A Berkely dealer quoted a price on Monday, spoke with her on Tuesday and picked up the car on Wednesday. I paid about $300 below sticker. I had been monitoring new and used Beetle prices in the Bay Area and this was about the best. Do beware of the heavy sell on extended warranty and paint sealer (finance guy was a real jerk on this crap!)Saleswoman was fine -- it's a good cop/bad cop thing. But I love the Beetle. Even sang it a Christmas carol going across the bridge. Silver Bug, Silver Bug, it's Christmas time in the city.....
  • Options
    anniebogartanniebogart Member Posts: 7
    Greenlight, for the moment, operates in limited areas, but they are expanding fast. My husband and I ordered a 2000GL Silver New Beetle at $500 below MSRP, and a Toyota Avalon at over $3000 under MSRP through the Greenlight.com site. We are extremely pleased with the ENTIRE process of the purchase of these cars, from start to finish. If interested in the details, please jump to the SmartShopper Conference under the "Greenlight.com" (Topic # 1836).

By the way, you get a better deal ordering a GLS New Beetle (only $500 more than a GL), but I NEVER use cruise control or fog lights, and prefer manual window cranks for safety reasons. I absolutely ADORE this car, and after my husband drove it one afternoon ("just curious..."), he was "wondering" if we could trade cars once in a while! The Avalon is a wonderful and luxurious car with AMAZING V6 power, but he really had FUN driving the Beetle...what's more surprising is that my Beetle is manual shifting which my husband doesn't prefer (I DO). I suppose since I really love him, I'll (reluctantly) trade...maybe once every two weeks... ;-)
  • Options
    debojdeboj Member Posts: 4
    I just bought my 2000 GLS, Yellow, only extra is the cold weather package, for $650 over invoice. I did preliminary web inquiries through Stoneage and with AAA and also directly to local dealers. All the internet inquiries were referred to dealers an hour or more away from my home (didn't think my trade-in would make it that far!). But the local dealers came through with good prices -- the first one to produce my car, got the deal. Also, I did all the price negotiating over the phone with their "internet" sales people who had the authority to make the deal. I bought it in Vacaville, CA, and they were great (as was Niello VW in Sacramento who didn't get the car first). I was really worried about this whole process from all horror stories I'd read about car buying, but it was virtually painless. Of course -- have to do your homework. I think they don't mess with people who can't be double-talked. They didn't even push the warranties/coating packages etc. Just mentioned them and moved on. BTW -- I didn't bring my husband along for any of this and dealt with all men and nobody treated me as anything less than a serious buyer. Very professional all around. I'm so happy. Sorry if I ran on -- I just can't believe I have my car!!
  • Options
    Boy, I always seem to write long ones, don't I?

I'll post this to keep the average word count down!
  • Options
    bambam2bambam2 Member Posts: 7
    I ordered my silver GLS w/lux package through carOrder.com 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting for the car (actually, waiting for the paperwork to arrive from the dealership), but I did get what I thought was a great deal--$400 over invoice. Plus I live in an area with few VW dealers, so they are likely saving me the hassle of driving to LA or the Bay Area to find competitive prices.

If you live in CA, where their prices are the lowest, I would recommend buying through carOrder (or else maybe shopping that price to a dealer?). However, be prepared to wait to receive your car.
    I won't go into this too much since there are several topics in Smart Shopper about CO. I'll just say that they found the exact car I wanted right away, but their communications internally, with the dealers, and with customers seem extremely disorganized, thus leading to long waits for the customer.
  • Options
    pitabuyerpitabuyer Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a y2k GLS auto, 6-cd changer, luxury pkg (sunroof & 16" alloy wheels) for $800 under MSRP. Will have to wait 3 weeks, but lease is up then anyway!!! NJ
  • Options
    made4beachmade4beach Member Posts: 1
    HI WANT TO BUY GLS 2000 LOADED LIGHT BLUE ON THE SHOWRM IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT $23,000. THE MFSP IS $16,850 THE TOTAL IS $20,375 AND EXTRA BRING IT TO $23K. I OFFERED $18500 IS THIS TOO LOW? WHAT HAVE OTHERS PAID... I AM IN CALIFORNIA SAN FERNANDO VALLEY - VAN NUYS IS DEALER
  • Options
    daveengdaveeng Member Posts: 2
    First of all, light blue is not even available yet here on the east coast (NY area), so that may be a premium. According to Edmunds, a fair price is 3% above invoice. You can check edmunds.com and add the base invoice, and all options then add 3% to the price to see if what you offered was in the ball park.
  • Options
    2boysdad2boysdad Member Posts: 7
    My wife found a dealer in Colorado Springs (Phil Winslow, see Mike Evelyn)where she paid $20.00 over invoice. It took us two hours to finish the deal, and the folks there did'nt even blink when she changed her mind at the last minuet from the white GLS to the yellow as it was being unloaded from the truck out side the finance office window.
    We found if you walk in with a PAL (pre-approved loan)and set on not paying more than 6% over invoice, they sell you the car or you walk.

Has leatherett seats, CD changer, heated seats mirrors and the sales guy even gave us all tee shirts (wife two kids and myself). We love it and the two car seats fit the back seat just right. Of course our other car is a mini van, but I'm looking at the Passat Wagon, some time down the road. Best of luck to all N7
  • Options
    rooazrooaz Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently looking at a few '99 turbos w/ 5,000 miles on them. edmund's says 16,500 to 19,400. Any suggestions on how to determine best price for these?
  • Options
    anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    5-1-00: Wanted/bought new 2K NB GLS: silver, auto, cd, blk. int., cloth uphol. Used Edmund's New Cars N3401, Autobytel. Dlr contacted me next day. I Offered 3% over invoice. Accepted. Car ready w/ full tank of gas when I arrived. Pd. $500 over invoice=$655 under msrp. So far (350mi) couldn't be happier except dlr. unable to program valet key. Most sophisticated car I ever owned. Will take 6-mo to learn intracacies of computer-controlled interocks and fail-safes. If the radio ever dies, I think the whole car will be toast. :) Far cry from the Type 1. Been reading the mail: Lights do dim slightly and rpm drops ±750 from nominal 2000 when AC/blower turned on. Probably not unusual for 2L engine w/ AC/blower of this capacity. It gets COLD inside. Everything works. Reasonable acceleration suits me. Nice "German" new car smell, or maybe it's Salsa de Puebla. Es muy lindo and it smiles at me.
  • Options
    anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Reading what I wrote above: It didn't happen quite that fast. I began getting serious about buying on 4-15, called Autobytel on 4-22, e-mailed some other similar outfits and re-re-re-re-read Edmund's and fooled around till 4-29 when I called the dlr. Offer accepted. Procrastinated some more, finally did it! Bought exactly what I wanted. Dlr. didn't even try to sell me more.
  • Options
    kelliekittiekelliekittie Member Posts: 12
    i'm seriously looking to buy a new vw beetle gls in the next month
    and i'm a first time buyer. recently went to a local dealership (here in austin)to price one of the beauties and found the dealership to be a bit shady. so i've been thinking about internet buying but, alas, i can find no step-by-step explanation on the process and i am scared stupid of screwing something up. i need to know all about it: like what to expect with financing when you're a first time buyer just now establishing credit, how the car arrives at the door, deposits. i need some serious help. i'd ask my folks, but since they tossed me from the nest 3years ago, they've proved to be utterly useless and financially inept. if anybody's got the patience or knows of a comprehensive web page,i'd appreciate a little help.
    thanks a jillion
    fellow humans
  • Options
    bambam2bambam2 Member Posts: 7
    I just responded to one of your posts in New Beetle News and here I am again. I bought my GLS from CarOrder.com and the experience was really great. It was my first time buying a car on my own, and the first time I financed a car. I was also pretty hesitant about making such a large purchase online. But it worked out great for me, and the process really wasn't that difficult. (Timeconsuming, yes.)

Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions: rlevy@miravant.com
  • Options
    kelliekittiekelliekittie Member Posts: 12
    thanks a bunch for responding, you're great. later on in the evening i'll e-mail you with a few specific questions.

and once more,
    thanks for the quick response, bambam2.
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    kelliekittie, please visit the Smart Shopper conference. You'll find a wealth of information and experience there!

carlady/host
  • Options
    4ladybug4ladybug Member Posts: 1
    NEW JERSEY/PENNSYLVANIA SHOPPERS LOOKING FOR A NEW BEETLE.

I've been shopping for a new Beetle and found a dealer yesterday that thought the way I did -(Honest)!

I recommend Jim Wynn Volkswagon in Norristown, PA. I bought a new Beetle GLX yesterday at $300 over invoice, and they gave me a great price on my trade-in too. They have wonderful service plans and give you a free loaner car or drop-off if your car is in for service. If you go here, ask for Kurt and tell him I sent you. You won't be sorry!
  • Options
    kjclowkjclow Member Posts: 29
    I just bought my new beetle gls tdi. The dealers here in Charlotte are living up to the "old" status of car salesmen. I can't wait until the love of the new beetles wears off and they have to sit on some for a couple of months. I don't know the last time that I was treated so rudely. Oh yeah, they let me test drive without any pressure. Most of the time by myself or my wife by herself. But when it came to actually buying one, the faces changed quickly. My wife was upset with trying to deal with them herself. She felt that she was being treated that way because she is a woman. I found out that she was wrong. The final insult was not negotiating on my trade. The response was, "If you want more, then sell it yourself." If my wife and daughters had not been so set on the bug, I would have left it there. Otherwise, for the two days I've driven it....I love it!
This discussion has been closed.