Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

VW New Beetle (Pricing & Information)

Comments

• Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    diklich - I got my info. from New Demensions (see above). I've also seen info on a VR6 conversion package in European Car magazine, I'll post the info. on it. There is an unbelivable assortment of stuff for the New Beetle from various suppliers.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the warranty consequences of putting high performance parts on a 99 New Beetle? Before I do the supercharger I want to do a P chip, Borla exhaust and a low restriction air intake system. I wonder if this will void the warranty. Also, the Service manager at the VW dealer told me not to swap out the factory sound system because it is wired into the engine diagnostics - has anyone heard about this? All I am going to do is add a powered sub to the factory system and he didn't think there would be a problem with that. Maybe we should swap ideas about these upgrades here, I think I would rather have a supercharged 2.0 than a turbo 1.8 considering it would have about 20 more HP than the Turbo and prob. cost less. Any ideas on the suspension? I'm thinking of bilstiens and 18" wheels/tires to start and see what that does, the factory suspension is a little soft.
  • Options
    kmmcdonaldkmmcdonald Member Posts: 4
    Hi all. I notice people are talking a lot about
    the TDI engine, and here is a TDI question for
    Californian drivers. I'm in the process of buying
    a TDI (well, OK, a Golf not a Beetle, but at
    least it's back to VW for me) in Missouri, but
    will soon be moving to Calif for a short time.
    Does the TDI need any mods to make it California
    emissions compliant? What hoops do I need to
    jump through to get emissions certification?
    Any and all responses appreciated, post here or
    mail to me at kmmcdonald@hotmail.com. Thanks
    a ton!

Cheers,
    Ken McDonald
  • Options
    pinheadpinhead Member Posts: 33
    rickrover,

You should address all your questions to New Dimensions directly. Since they developed the supercharger kit they should have the answers. There is one thing that I haven't noticed in their ads for the s/c is it C.A.R.B. approved? Is it 50 state legal?

Hot VW's just did an exhuast install article. They put on a Techtonics system. The hp gain was 2.7 at the wheels. I guess the stock system is pretty decent. It was in the March '99 issue. It should still be on the news stands. The TT system was cat-back and it uses a Borla muffler.

Hot VW's already did a suspension upgrade article a couple of issues back.
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    My suggestion, rickrover, is to get IN WRITING a statement from someone at VW with regard to how high performance additions may affect your warranty. You may also want to visit our Finance, Warranty, & Insurance conference for more information. Just use the Search feature below to find conversations on this topic that may already be in progress.

carlady/host
  • Options
    tnt2tnt2 Member Posts: 115
    I know a person that had a sunroof installed and took their NB for a warranty fix only to find that the sunroof totally voided their warranty forever. This was also confirmed by a local independent dealer that installed a sunroof and got stuck doing the warranty work themselves. It is said to be written in the warranty, but I haven't read it yet. Be very aware before making changes.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,297
    I thought that the rule when making any aftermarket mods to your car was that VW has to prove that the mods caused the problem in question before they can deny a warranty claim.
  • Options
    greenml430greenml430 Member Posts: 21
    To refuse all warranty repair, even when unrelated to an aftermarket accessory, is ludicrous! While adding a sunroof might negate your chances of getting any noise complaints addressed quickly, how could it allow VW to cancel the drivetrain warranty? A supercharger on the other would put undue stress on the drivetrain, and theoretically I suppose even on the basic structure of the car, and might give them a valid argument. If I put a sunroof in my daughters 99 Beetle and was told my warranty was voided, regardless of what the Owners Manual may or may say concerning this, VW would have a fight on their hands! I will say this much; American car dealers have spoiled us in that they cover almost anything under warranty while most foreign car companies are much more strict on their coverages.
  • Options
    diklicdiklic Member Posts: 7
    Ok thanks guys for the info about superchargers.
    The car is great but the engine is really on the weak side, I really don't understand why they did something like that.

dan
  • Options
    Midway through post 315 should say "may or may not say" Sorry!
  • Options
    I think I'll leave the engine alone for now, A p chip and super charger will void the warranty (no big suprise). I'll just do the exhaust and a K&N Air filter. I'm not sure if I'll do 17" or 18" wheels/tires, leaning toward 17".
  • Options
    BwummerBwummer Member Posts: 46
    2 Quick items:

1. Post # 279: someone has just discovered the 1001 reason not to live in California. For my money, a pair of wrap around Oakley sunglasses (for about $50) is far and away the best solution.

2. Warranty voids for aftermarket mods. Had a sunroof installed. Talked to the aftermarket provider, local dealer, and VW of America. They agree: the warranty is void only on those parts affected by the mod (which, for a supercharger, would be the whole drive train....). I smell a rat. I'll bet the person who was told their whole warranty was voided has probably found an unscrupulous dealer: he's charging the customer for the work and billing VW for warranty repairs for the same work. I'd put money on it!
  • Options
    And that's why I say: get it IN WRITING! :-)

carlady/host
  • Options
    mgrmgr Member Posts: 40
    Just picked mine up. Bright Blue GLS auto. Put 50 miles on it driving back from my pick up point. I have more room(from the drivers perspective)than in the Avalon. Avalon has, of course, more power; but my NB more than makes up for that as it has a better stereo.
  • Options
    Great! We love happy campers!! :-)

carlady/host
  • Options
    darenjpdxdarenjpdx Member Posts: 14
    To answer a question from a bit back. The TDI engine is 50 state compliant. There is no California emissions requirement as it passes in all 50 states. I got my TDI in California, but live in OR. You can look at option lists at various places on-line and see that the TDI doesn't have the $100 CA emissions option. So you can buy it anywhere and drive it anywhere.
  • Options
    glenberkglenberk Member Posts: 14
    I've read the entire list, but still wonder what leatherette really looks/feels like. Does anybody reading that have leatherette? If so, can you post some comments or email me. The NB TDI w/factory sunroof I've got coming was built with leatherette. How happy should I be? Thanks.

Glen Berkowitz
    berk@aol.com
  • Options
    I requested a New Beetle sales brochure from VW (since the dealer hadn't seen any) and it came yesterday. It only mentions the GL and GLS as models, doesn't mention a GLX or Sunroof and says the 1.8t is only available with the GLS (same with the diesel). It indicates the interiors are available in cloth, leather and leatherette. Looks like VW has revised the 99 New Beetle offerings.
  • Options
    glenberk

I havent seen the leatherette, but the dealer described it. He said it was like a vinyl with little holes all over. Sounded like he was describing the interior of on older Mercedes. He went on to say it wears better than the cloth or the leather.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I have experienced the leatherette in a Audi A4 which I assume is the same product. It looks like leather and feels like nice grippy leather. It is perforated. I would prefer it over cloth, but not actual leather.
  • Options
    pemartpemart Member Posts: 5
    I'm finishing my lease in 5 months on a VW 95 Passat GLX V-6. And I want to know what anybody would suggest I do at the end of my lease?

A) Buy the car at about 10k and keep it. Then try & sell it at around $12-13k ( w/42k miles). Then buy a New TDI VW Beetle

B) Trade it in for another Passat and or lease a New Beetle TDI for my wife.

C) Say goodbye and say thank you...

If its B should this lower my monthly lease payments since the Passat was more money to begin with?

I'll take any suggestions, Thanks
  • Options
    Picked up my NB yesterday! Love it, love it, love it!!!!
    Dark Blue, GLS, TDI, leather, factory 5 spoke alloys (16x7.5).
    The car is sooooooo much fun to drive. The TDI is simply incredible. Tons and tons of torque makes around town driving such a breeze. Downshift? Only if you really want to. Otherwise just push your foot down and feel that low end torque.

Out on the hwy 60 mph feels more like 35mph. VW did an outstanding job on making the NB a quiet car. No wind noise, and very little road noise. ( it has the Michelin MXV4 )But what really makes a huge difference is that the TDI engine only turns about 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Honestly, you really have to keep your eye on the speedo to stay below 80 mph!

If anyone out there is on the fence about the TDI, GET THE TDI ! Yes, on a cold start up it sounds like a diesel, but after that you will have to remind yourself that it's a diesel. The only way to apprieciate the TDI is to drive one, and unfortunately a 5 minute test drive won't do it.

As far as the fit and finish on my NB. I am very impressed. Everything is perfect. No squeaks, no rattles. The dealer was an absolute pleasure to deal with and I would reccomend them highly.

There have been some posts about leatherette. My dealer has 4-5 NBs with leatherette. It really looks nice, and feels nice too. If you have children get the leatherette. It will always clean up very well and wear better than the leather in most cases. ( I was in the auto detailing business for a number of years, so take my word for it.)

All I want to do now is drive my NB around!
  • Options
    A. or B., almost never C. With most leases there are fees that are paid upfront, so trading in on a new purchase or lease is usually your best bet. You may not have to wait another 5 months either. I lease vehicles for 4-5 yrs and trade in after 1 1/2-3yrs, almost always with equity, and never penalties.
  • Options
    I've had my gas GLS for a month now and have no complaints! I love this car, I like the conveinience of the hatchback, the interior layout and design and the quality. I'm suprised and all the attention it gets, I thought that would have died down a year after introduction but I still have people getting spastic over it and asking a million questions. I just wish it had a little more power, but I'll address that in the comming months. I'm also going to spring for a sunroof, this months Hot VW's has a great article on the Webasto sunroof and no it will not void the warranty per VW.
  • Options
    94mx594mx5 Member Posts: 7
    The NB's styling is certainly unique, what I would call Anti-Camry. Most posters here would call the NB cute, or some other complimentary term. However, some would also call it ugly or weird. Unfortunately, my wife would belong to this second group. She loves her 97 Jetta, and loves the new Jetta even more, so she is not anti-VW.
    Last fall I needed a car that could hold more than a couple of shoe boxes in the trunk. I wanted to trade my Miata (a great car, BTW) on a NB or a Cabrio. She was VERY much for the Cabrio and against the NB. Since I was on the fence, she pushed me to the Cabrio. I don't regret that decision, I love convertibles, however, I still would love to drive the New Beetle also. Maybe someday I will...

Sorry, about the rambling. My question to married NB owners is: Did/does your significant other share your enthusiasm about this wonderful car? And if they don't, how did you convince them to "let" you buy it? Did you say "To heck with what you think, it's my car!"? Or did you guys have to do dishes and laundry for a year, or did you ladies promise not to make your guy see a "chick flick". (This didn't work for me since I already do the dishes.) It's probably too late for me. We'll be starting a family in the next year or so, so our next car will probably be a Passat.

Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Vic
  • Options
    prebmwprebmw Member Posts: 23
    I am a car fanatic and have been married for 22 years, therefore my wife has accepted the fact that cars usually don't spend a lot of time in our garage. In fact, she still dosen't recognize our Camry in the parking lot after owning it for six months and will frequently call it a Honda. When I brought home our NB early last fall, there wasn't much reaction (my teenage son went wild!). That feeling greatly changed after we had it a couple weeks. Now, we fight over who gets to drive it and she actually likes to show it off. My advice to Vic is good luck and be persistent!
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, my old 1962 and 1967 beetles had this stuff.

Remember, it is only VINYL! It will be HOT in the summer and COLD in the winter!

Like leather only much worse!

Just my two cents...
  • Options
    KAURELIOKAURELIO Member Posts: 20
    Vic,

My wife was really close to letting me buy one, but she had this 'feeling' something bad was going to happen to our van. So, we ordered a Honda Odyssey, but my car is really biting the dust as of late. When we get the new van, the old one will be mine. She told me not to give up, that in a few years, I MAY be able to get a New Beetle. My grandsons are on my side, so it keeps the fire burning. I won't give up! I'm saving all the print material for the NB that I have, just for future reference...

Good Luck!
  • Options
    and here I am lobbying my husband to make the NB *his* new car! :-)

carlady/host
  • Options
    FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    My wife loves our NB but wants to wait until it has a few scratches and dings before she drives it! For those who don't own one, the driving experience is special - handles like a mini BMW on rails.

Frank
  • Options
    KAURELIOKAURELIO Member Posts: 20
    What a carlady, what a lucky husband!

Kaurelio
  • Options
    My NB is now one week old, and my wife let me drive it this weekend. This is a great car! What more can I say that hasnt already been said.

I first started looking at the Beetle 12/97. When the brochures finally came out, I took one to my wife. She said it was cute, looked at the info a couple of times, I heard nothing further.

A few months ago, she decided she didnt like the Avalon any longer and wanted another car. I tried to steer her to a Boxter, Compressor, or Z3. She liked them all until I told her how much they cost. She still thinks that cars that cost more than $20k are a waste of money.

We drove the Beetle after that, and she was hooked. The price was right, she liked the ride, and she really liked the look.

So, with us, it was a mutual thing.

Mike
  • Options
    Wife of Pinhead here... he has always been a car nut, but with the release of the NB it took on a whole new meaning. Less than a year ago I got my new car, a 1999 Lexus RX300. So when his car finally arrived I could not say no. I like the car a lot... I was surprised how excited I was upon pick up (I guess its contagious). It is remarkably comfortable and quiet... and coming from my Lexus this means a lot. For half the price we can actually adjust the thermostat on the heated seats (the Lexus is on/off). Now on our upcoming long road trips it will actually be a decision to make as to which is the most comfortable. Actually... the NB wins with its 50 mpg (TDI) instead of my measly 23 mpg. I just have to get used to the stares...
  • Options
    Just a question Mike, if 20K is too much, how do you explain the Avalon ??? Good Luck with the NB...
  • Options
    pmohrpmohr Member Posts: 12
    I started to read this column for mechanical issues or concerns that a potential NB buyer should be aware of.

However, most comments lately are social chat.

Anyone got any issues a potential buyer should plan for?

Thanks.
  • Options
    The main issues with purchasing a NB are: 1.8t vs. 1.8 Liter diesel vs. 2.0 liter gas. The yet-to-be-released 1.8t GLX will have 150hp and come standard with leather, sunroof. Most of the '98 bugs (pardon the pun) were exterminated in the 99's(hatch rattles, etc.), ground clearance can be interesting for those who desire an off-road experience. Fog lights are destined to be cracked by rocks - so buy an aftermarket protector grill. Compatible aftermarket stereos are now available. Be sure to scotch-guard the cloth seats - esp if they are the cream colored, .... and buy a silk flower to go in the vase. Fresh cut is a little too much trouble AND ALWAYS use Zaino's Z1,Z2, then Z6 detailing polish if you love this car. Now, back to social chat......
    Frank
  • Options
    pmohrpmohr Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, Frank.

Engine is not an issue.

I just want a fun little car that will be fairly reliable, the standard gas engine will work just fine, although I do acknowledge that about 20 more horsepower would seem appropriate, given current technology and the base price.

Hey, even a Subaru Impreza touts 142 horsepower and all-wheel drive for $2000 less.

Of course, it's so boring to look at that I can't bring myself to buy one.

As an "older" person, who's spent many formative years in the old bug, 30 years ago, then moved on to the trendier cars that the "social chatters" would probably talk about (Jaguar XKE, BMW 2002, and God Forbid, a Volvo Diesel with Connolly leather, followed by a Ford Exploder, which was bought in the first model year) I really am not up on VW quality.

Hey, my last VW experience was an air-cooled stinker - but I've vaguely noted the mechanical and rusting problems with the Rabbit and its successors.

It's new to me to consider VW a "real car".

Consequently, I'm real curious about the mechanical/electrical reliability that NB owners can tell/warn me about.

Hopefully, by now, some owners have enough miles on to talk about some 20,000+ mileage experience.

Thanks for the advice on the fog lamps and the upholstry.

As for detailing polish, I can't take any car that seriously at this point in my life - but I remember when I did - now it's the local Amoco car wash, and on to something else in life.

Hey, I may have been lured into a form of social chat...

Anyway, still interested in any reliability experiences, folks.

Thanks.
  • Options
    laturjlaturj Member Posts: 45
    i've got 5000 miles on mine, besides the trunk rattle i am very happy. no engine problems etc.. If you can take one for a drive and see what you think, i really like the five speed and i think the drive if fine. When we were looking we heard that VW post 1990 or so has become "real" cars with engine reliability becomming much better. remember too that vw and audi are together and in fact share some engines, i think the tech is probably pretty good.
  • Options
    I own a 1986 VW Cabiolet with over 200,000 miles -still in great working condition. My mechanic says it will go forever. Not saying that it hasn't had a few niggling problems but the drivetrain is indestructable and it handles..well..like a German car. My experience has been that in recent years VW has made better cars - far more reliable. The driving experience is wonderful - Simply different than Japanese makes. I have had no problems with my NB and have 4000+ miles. Like I said, it sometimes pays to wait 'til the second model year.
    Frank
  • Options
    bduffycobduffyco Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I'm new to this group. My wife has gone crazy over the NB. I'd prefer a Passat, but I learned a long time ago to just give her what she wants. Since I live in Colorado Springs at 6700 feet above sea level, non-turbo engines lose about 27% of their power. Therefore, I'd like to hold out for the 1.8T When will it be released and at what price? The dealer is elusive and just wants to sell what he has.
  • Options
    Duffy,
    The 1.8T NB was scheduled to begin production in January of 99. I understand there have been some delays and rumors abound around the internet that these delays could delay the car until Fall of 99 as a year 2000 model. A member of the Newbug list (newsgroup) saw a functional 1.8t at an auto show just recently. See if you can get a friend or local dealer to let you test drive a 2.0L gas. I bet you will be surprised at the performance. Will also save you plenty to go with the non-turbo.
    Frank
  • Options
    glenberkglenberk Member Posts: 14
    Duffy:

The NB 1.8T is about to start production. Really. It will be available at dealers in April. This April. Check out www.vwvortex.com. They are going to a press release of the 1.8T on March 16 in Arizona.

GlenBerk
  • Options
    greenm1430,

Avalon was a fluke. 3 yr balloon w/ 71% residual, nice payments!

Got another VW car club membership under the wiper. Thats 2 in less than 2 weeks. Want us to be in a St.Pat's parade. Said they need more NBs.

Now, to tech talk. Where do you get aftermarket rock shields for the fog lights? Also, what is Z1, Z2,Z6? I usually use Eagle1 or similar polish.

Still trying to get used to the engage delay when shifting from F to R with the automatic.
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    Do any of you who opted for a color that wasn't your first choice have any regrets?

My silver TDI could be here as early as tomorrow, though my dealer has told me that August is more realistic. I don't know if I want to wait that long. I looked at a bright blue one last week and thought that I might like that color instead.
  • Options
    mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    Z1, Z2, Z6 refer to a polish system by Zaino Brothers. If you want more info you can check out their web site at http://www.zainobros.com/ or wander over to Topic 8 of Maintenance and Repair on this board.

Basically it's a very nice silicon based wax.

--Mike
  • Options
    As above - Z1, Z2 and Z6 is a three step wax treatment that gives stellar results. Stoneguard protectors for the foglights can be purchased through "New Dimensions", http://www.newdimensions.com/ and foglight grills are being made in limited supplies by several NB owners - will look for their email addresses.
    Frank
  • Options
    bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Duffy,

I think the TDI Diesel would be a better choice for your lofty environs. That engine has huge torque and is not so dependant on the correct stoiciometric ratio of fuel to air as a gas engine. Check out the TDI topic in this conference.

Bruce.
  • Options
    94mx594mx5 Member Posts: 7
    govu,
    I guess that depends on how much you like the silver. Or maybe on picky you are.
    I wanted a Jazz Blue Cabrio, but couldn't find one , so I settled for the Black. I don't regret my choice. I'm not that picky on colors. Usually when buying a new car I have a favorite color and one or two others that I like almost as much. OTOH, I've heard people say they'd never settle for anything other than their first choice.
    If it were me, I'd get the bright blue New Beetle NOW instead of waiting. (Of course, I like the blue better than the silver.)
    Good luck, good driving!
    Vic
  • Options
    I posted once before that adding a sunroof would void your warranty, this came as second hand news. Took our NB to the dealer for service and asked them. They showed me a bulletin recently received from VW that convertable tops and sunroofs voided the warranty, completely. When questioned about how this could affect the motor warranty, VW's reply was that the roof is such an integral part of the car that everything would be affected if altered. I now know of 3 people this has happened to, same dealer. Maybe just this dealer, but I don't think so. If you insist on installing one, get it in writing.
  • Options
    pemartpemart Member Posts: 5
    If anyone has a Lease on a NB. Can you please share with me how much aprox. down you put and with monthly payments. I'm debating which way I
    should go.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.