Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Conversion Vans

Comments

• wmomkucerawmomkucera Member Posts: 1
    Hi !

I have a 1998 Ford Econoline conversion by Eclipse ... mine is a E35 v8 .... I paid much more than the 33,700 you are looking at. This van is hitop,tv/vcp/leather with 6 captain chairs and a sleeper/sofa with power. I love the quality of the Eclipse ... very durable ... like I said this van has been around 8 years and still looks great and drives great. Very low miles (53,000)... and I am considering selling ... as the kids are bigger ... Good luck ... W.
  • vinniegvinnieg Member Posts: 1
    My only experience is 10 years with a long wheelbase Ford e150. Replaced the shocks 75K ago- little help. Wanted to turn-in on curves. Going back to XL (extra load) tires rated 108S cured that problem. Had some yaw. Installed a rear sway bar. Lots better, but the tires are the most important. 108S (15 inch I'm ASSuming)
  • jerimothjerimoth Member Posts: 1
    We just got a 1996 Ford E150 conversion van. Does anyone have recommendations for insurance companies? Which ones treat you the best/have the best prices? Thanks, GLK
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Jerimoth, you might also want to ask your question in this discussion:

What do you pay for insurance?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• chantal1995chantal1995 Member Posts: 1
    I AM LOOKING FOR A PLACE I CAN PURCHASE REAL OR COMPOSITE WOOD TRIM FOR MY VAN. I NEED PIECES TO TRIM AROUND THE TV AND SOME ACCESSORIES I ADDED. WHERE TO I BEGIN TO LOOK. THANK YOU. DANNY
  • luvmyvan1luvmyvan1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! We just bought a 91 Starcraft. It is so awesome! An older couple owned it and traveled recreationally with it. It has 125,000 original miles but has had a new engine put in. It is in excellent condition with the only flaw at all being a very small crack in the windshield. We bought it for $3250. (what a deal). Hope that helps some!
  • buzzlady1buzzlady1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! We would like to purchase our first conversion van. We have a ministry and travel all over the country and need something reliable and extremely comfortable. Our mechanic says that with all the traveling we do, that we really need to bite the bullet and purchase a new van. We're planning to buy a trailer for our equipment and product. We are looking at a GMC or Chevrolet, but don't know what conversion company to go with. We live in Augusta, Georgia and have only one dealership that sells conversion vans. They sell Southern Comfort Conversion trucks but only Sherrod in the conversion vans. I can't really seem to find out much about this company. I was really interested in Southern Comfort, but can't find anyone around that sells them. I read somewhere that Explorer conversions are good and also Starcraft were very good, but I know that Southern Comfort bought out Starcraft.

Can anyone give us advice on the best conversion company, and any other advice you may have would be extremely appreciated. Thank You!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    If you plan to put a lot of miles on your conversion van, I would recommend getting one built on the Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter chassis. Airstream, Forest River, Winnebago, and several others. We have one and it gets consistently over 22 MPG on diesel. It has plenty of power and is rated for a 5000 lb. trailer. You can also get service from any 5 star Dodge or Chrysler dealer. You will be lucky to get 10 MPG with a Chevy or Ford conversion van. We love our Forest River MB Cruiser. Check them out.

Sprinter conversions
  • xaviermxpxaviermxp Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Looking to replace the carpet in my '98 Chevy Astro Mark III conversion van. But, when i call the carpet manufacturer, they say that they have carpeting that fits the regular and extended Astros, but it won't fit the conversion van. Does anybody know anything about this and where i might find a rug that does fit?

thanks
    Mark
  • stingray99stingray99 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, The wife and I are having a really hard time trying to decide whether to purchase a used Ford E150 conversion or a used Tahoe/Expedition(were loking in the 95-96 year range price-wise). We have two kids and want the vehicle for camping/towing my bass boat/pop up camper/ and comfort. My wife is concerned with the lack of visibility with a van and the amount of footroom, and I don't like the seating/space arrangement in the SUV's. Also, with the kids, safety is an issue. Does a van and large SUV have he same ability to rollover, or is one safer then the other? Lastly, the SUV's seem more aerodynamic then the van which I would assume would come into play on the highways. Does the wind really push you around in a van on the highway? Anybody with any insight and experience would be greatlt appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • disabledsfvetdisabledsfvet Member Posts: 10
    we just bought another high top handicapped accessible conversion van in Apr and we have had GEICO for years or AIG is also good when it comes to the extra equipment. The others would not insure my son's handicapped lift.
    just bought a new high top van from GMC Savana with the best of the best inside from explorer. They send you a rep if the dealership can not fix it. It is very nice riding in it and my 83 yr mom rides in the back and loves it. She is telling me it is alot better than the one we just traded in which was a chevy Express Mark III who is out of business now. Explorer in from Indiana and I talked to them before we made the final decision with alot of questions an got all my answers. I have owned at least 5 vans since my son was born handicapped. Ford, Chevy, GMC now.
  • cpauffcpauff Member Posts: 3
    Sometimes accessing NADA.com and selecting conversion vans will give you an estimate.
    The van I purchased was custom in mississippi and was under water in the hurricanes but at the time it was not known that it came from there. Thru research I identify where it had been custom. It now has formaldehye poisoning in it and the dealer is now being force to take back the vehicle. So if you are buying a new van make sure you inquire where it was made and where it was customed and by who and check with the internet and find out for yourself if the weather in that area was hurricane conditions. I purchased this in good faith and I got a lemon which is in the process of being taken care of thru the lemon law.

I have had 5 other vans and no problems. I did just purchase a new GMC 2006 Savana and custom was done by a company well known called Explorer in Elkhardt Indiana. Sure every company has it lemons but the company I dealt with had 12 of them here in Fl. All of sudden we indentify the poison and the vehicles were gone with a few days off the dealers lot. So they knew or know what scam was going on.

Just do your research. I am very happy with the new van and it is handicapped accessible for our son like each one has. I will recommend that you get a Van Gater II lift if you are getting one becuase the others you have to much wear to fast. This one you close and store where the other ones I had you have to open each time you need to get in the back of van to the sofa. check out the different types of lifts at : http://www.braunmobility.com/products and you can see them actually in use in a video. It is really nice when you have a family to use the back of the van.
  • lovetodrivelovetodrive Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,
    I have a friend who has an auto dealer license so he has access to dealer only auctions. Would I be better off going through him or trying to buy a conversion off ebay? I'm looking for either a ford or dodge 2001-2005 for between 8 and 15k. I want a hightop conversion with power sofa, rear air, entertainment center etc. Is there really a lot of difference in conversion companies?
    Thanks! :confuse:
    Hey,
    As far as wind goes, I think you'll be happy with a conversion. I drove one from Michigan to Florida and found it quite comfortable and easy to drive. Good luck
  • patclarkpatclark Member Posts: 5
    ">link titleI have owned 6 van conversions and the last 3 have been by Explorer Vans. They are without a doubt the best company out there. Their customer service is unbelievable. I had a problem with my van and the sales rep. from Explorer came to my house!!!!!! I'm not a rock star or anyone famous, just a regular guy. I contected them through their website link title and the rep. contacted me and refered me to Pat Clark GMC in Las Vegas link title. Every aspect of owning an Explorer Van has been wonderful
    link titlewww.patclarkconversions.com both A #!
    Buy an Explorer Van. They can be contact @ www.explorervan.com
  • rhondabhrhondabh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Chevy G20 Conversation Van by Glaval Corp. I need to know how to get in touch with Glaval or someone to order a new seat motor and control for the third seat in the back of the van. Can you help me?

Thank you!
    Glaval is out of business
    Hi have you tried CPCPARTS.COM online. They sell misc parts from companies that went out of business and buy the parts. They are first quality parts not from previous used vans.

Type in the search engine: Custom Vans designed by Glaval Corp and you should get a few sites that you can research. :)
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I have a '97 Ford E350 (Class C Mini Motorhome) 11,500 GVW, and I just want to relay an experience I had with Air Lift, because I feel their Customer Service/Tech Support went above and beyond my expectations.

I added rear a rear air spring system with on-board compressor and dash-mounted controls to adjust the ride when towing and/or in high winds or on curvy mountain roads. I am generally very pleased with it. I can also add air to increase the clearance in the rear when I need to go out a driveway.

My system came with a parts warrantee for 1 year on most, 2 years on some named components, and lifetime on the springs (airbags) themselves. However the installation was handled by Camping World, so the labor was not covered.

A few months after installation, while towing on a trip, the compressor would run but not add air to the springs. I spoke with Air Lift customer service, who said it may be the compressor and Camping World could replace it under warrantee, but Camping World would not give me a replacement part without a service appointment to "check it out" at no charge first, which was reasonable. They had the vehicle twice, the second time for three weeks (these were "appointments") and they knew I would be happy to have the part exchange and was willing and capable to install it myself.

Finally, I said I was coming to get the vehicle; I just wanted it back and the exchange part when it came in, but they decided to take a compressor from a kit they already had in stock, I doubt if they "checked" anything at all. What really griped me was they wanted to charge me for the labor to exchange the compressor without my approval, when I just wanted the part under warrantee. :mad: That was a year ago.

Long story short, recently the same problem emerged again, Air Lift's tech support suggested something different. They helped me fix it directly, sent me parts twice (no charge, even though it's just out of warrantee, no questions asked) included parts Camping World did not include in the original installation, were very easy to deal with, and followed up with me on each of my voice mail questions.

That's customer service. :)
    :shades: Hey mark, We used to have a Mark III chevy and we always got replacement parts for our van since they were out of business in Ocala, Fl near us, we used :www.v-sales.com and they seem to always have what you need. They supposely bought most of the left over stock from Mark III Co after they went under. Hope this helps ...maybe not for the carpet since this was in May when you were looking for it but for the future keep this website in favorites.
  • catman2130093catman2130093 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 1994 Ford HItop with a Winnebago conversion. It is not a full class b, but it does have a cabinet across from a sofa bed with a microwave and igloo thermoelectric cooler and sink in it. I saw one recently on a Dodge chassis,same year on ebay. I got no manuals with it, apparently Winnebago sold the conversion business to choo-choo, who sold to la-west....and so on...can anybody help me get a manual or tell me anything about it? Winnebago said "HUH"? Thanks!
  • davej678davej678 Member Posts: 1
    ****FOR SALE****
    TOP OF THE LINE
    1996 Chevrolet Sherrod HI-TOP Conversion Van
    **136,000 HIGHWAY MILES**
    **NEW SERPANTINE BELT**
    **FULL SYNTHETIC OIL FOR LIFE OF VEHICLE**
    **FULL LEATHER INTERIOR**
    **5 DISC ALPINE CD CHANGER**
    **POWER QUEEN SIZE SOFA BED**
    **13" COLOR TV**
    **VCR**
    **DVD**
    **CUSTOM LIGHTING**
    **POWER WINDOWS**
    **POWER LOCKS**
    **AIR COMPRESSOR**
    **DUSTBUSTER**
    **CUSTOM ALARM SYSTEM**
    **CLASS II TRAILER HITCH**
    **CUSTOM GRAPHICS**
    **HEATED MIRRORS**
    THIS IS THE ULTIMATE ROAD TRIP VEHICLE.
    GREAT SHAPE.

$6,900 OR B/O

CASH TALKS

ASK FOR MACE
    609-334-2361
  • jkumpire24jkumpire24 Member Posts: 17
    Folks,

I would appreciate your help. I am at a loss as what I should do:

Which should I purchase:

1. 1997 Olds Silhouette GLS, 55K, immaculate shape, most all the extras, $7500
    2. 1997 Chevy Astro conversion, also immaculate shape, 77K miles, $8000.

The tradeoffs: $600 less, fewer miles for the Silhouette vs. high quality conversion, more plush interior and extras, TV/VCP, better engine, less possible major problems.

Carfax is clean on both vans, both are local owners with no major repairs, and are being sold by dealers.

I just don't know which one to pick!

Thanks

Note: Also Posted on Triplets Forumand Minivan shopping Forum
    I would say if you need the room in the van then check with owners and see if they are willing to give you a chance to take it to the mechanic of your choice to have it checked out. Leave a deposit or maybe they will take it there for you. I would say the Van is a great deal if it is in good shape like your say. As for car fax I do not trust them on thier reports anymore. Sorry but they did not know that my van was in Mississippi an was water logged and sold as brand new from a dealership. Check to see if the dealer you are dealing with is reputable thru your state attorney generals office or the BBB auto hotline which is toll free. Also the NCIB insurance fraud can tell you that it is clear too and it is free also. It ashamed that you have to do all that to make sure your not being frauded but that is how life is now days. I traded in a perfectly good Mark III 1998 Chevy with 57,000 miles on it and there was nothing wrong with it either for $10,500. So $8,000. is not a bad price on that. Also I had a chevy astro and it was great and we put 10,000 miles on it and sold it to dealer for the same price we bought it for. It is a good product for traveling and disability too.

Good luck hope this helped///// :);)
  • catman2130093catman2130093 Member Posts: 2
    Go for the Astro! They were in production forever, and they have a reputation for lasting well into the 250-300K mile range with good care. They also don't have the added expense of changing the timing belt (they have chains) and the Olds may need to have that done. Manufacturers recommend changing the belt every 5 years or 60K miles. The Olds is front wheel drive, the Astro is a conventional truck with a full frame.
  • van_nationvan_nation Member Posts: 3
    What does everyone think of the Cascade by J&E Manufacturing?

I saw one on Ebay under a different name (Outlaw - with lots of pics) see here: link title

and of course you can see it here too (although only one pic). link title

Does anyone have familiarity with them? I like the concept, but don't know much about it.
    I think it is neat, but I am ignorant about the product itself. Can anyone offer any help/advice?

in case you need a pic: link title

Or if the sale is over (but there is only one pic here):
    link title

Much thanks!
  • kazzy57kazzy57 Member Posts: 1
    i have a1994 ford conversion van with starcraft GT with all the ground efects need hide away running boards or help finding tk u
    I got our's on both our vans after the custom was done already at a custom lift company. Where do you live? In florida there is a company called Ride-away and Larry is very good and making things fit when they are not really designed for it normally. We had him extend our floor so the wheelchair could be closer to the door on one side of van that opens on both sides.

Check in your phone book and look for someone who is able to put handicapped lifts in even if you do not need one. They would be the one that could design what you are looking for.

hope this help.....

Joanna :shades:
  • ladystarrladystarr Member Posts: 2
  • ladystarrladystarr Member Posts: 2
    Many years ago we owned a 1969 Club Chateau camper conversion and we loved it and ran it into the ground. We just bought a '95 conversion van at a sheriff's auction but we need a gas tank and fuel pump. We've done some checking and discovered that it has a 35 gallon capacity! Does anyone know what kind of gas mileage we'll get with a 5.0 engine??
  • diane23diane23 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone talk me through replacing a ceiling mount flat screen tv in my 2005 gmc savana conversion van?

Diane23 ">
    Diane I would be very careful if you plan on trying that by yourself. It is very hard and my husband tried to do it. We ended up taking it to a respectible shop like that fixes car radio's or installs stero's in cars. This way it is guarenteed for anything problems and if you hook it up wrong it might cause a fire in the van. We have a GMC Savana in our 2006. Do you have the owners manual? Maybe look in there for it. The other suggestion would be make and model of TV and go to that company website and see if they have a tech support site or manual for installations. Maybe they could recommend a place reputible too. It cost of about $80.00 for hr work. The installation was inexpensive but the TV stopped working and we replaced our in a Chevy 1998 two yrs ago before we sold it for the GMC.
  • diane23diane23 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the response. I do have the owner's manual for the van but it doesn't contain info for the conversion package. If it only cost you 80.00 to have an install by a service that guaranteed the work, that sounds worth it to me!

Thanks again!
    Diane
  • jayjonijayjoni Member Posts: 2
    :) Hi everyone. My girlfriend and I own a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van and want to sell it, but we can't find the blue book value for it anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It has 101k miles. V6. Auto trans. power everything except seats. TV. bed. Converted by the Sherry Co. in (Indiana I think). High Top. This co. did a beautiful job on the interior. Beautiful true Oak woodwork throughout interior and nice accent lighting. Runs perfect and interior/ exterior in great shape. Turn key. Inspected. Thankyou.
  • ecdysiastecdysiast Member Posts: 1
    I''ve just acquired a 92 Chevy Starcraft conversion. The interior lights installed by Starcraft work only when the ignition switch is in the full on position. I can't see any reason for this, because those lights are useful really only when the van is stopped. Can someone explain how to get them to work with the ignition off?

Thanks,

Jeffrey
  • starcraft17starcraft17 Member Posts: 2
    interior mood aircraft tv and valance lighting all stopped working suddenly
    control panel at left foot well lights up as operating fully (yellow ind lights )
    tilt and slide operate fully
    can anyone offer any advice plaese
    many thanx
    neil
  • starcraft17starcraft17 Member Posts: 2
    hi there did you get any joy from your forum msg
    i have just had all my mood aircraft lighting on my starcraft conv suddenly stop ..tv inop but tilt and slide all ok
    any help would be appreciated
    neil
  • mike_delawsonmike_delawson Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get a reply? I have the same problems and don't know where the fuses are. Can you help? Thanks, Mike
  • mike_delawsonmike_delawson Member Posts: 2
    I have an 89 Ford Econoline Conversion Van. The interior lights work from a control panel mounted in center of the ceiling above the dash. None of the lights (front, center, rear and valence lights) are currently working. The fuses to the left of steering column seem to be all OK. Is there another spot to look for fuses or breakers? These lights all worked until recently. Any help in solving this problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
    Have any of you tried to check for fuses in the panel above the dash. We found fuses in our Mark III there and they ran the TV and VCR and DVD player up there. We did not know that they were in that area so we had taken to a business who works on them and they show us for next time to look up there. You have to be able to take the TV part out to get into that area. Also if you have a handicapped lift recently installed check to see if they when installing it did not put a screw in the wrong place putting the mood lights back up in the ceiling. That also happened to us and the lights seemed to be out when the power was really on and the battery was dead within days for about 2 weeks before they found the little screw that had caused the whole problem. It was too long and hitting and frayed the wire and when it got so bare it shorted out finally.

Hope this helps alittle....

The only other suggestion would be take to a business that installs radios,cd players, TV and VCR in vehicles and they will find the problem.
  • amannjoyamannjoy Member Posts: 2
    We have a '99 GMC Savanna Conversion van (V8) that we use to tow our popup camper - with an additional electronic brake system installed. Last summer when we took it over the Smokey's we really felt the additional load on higher upward inclines. This year we plan another camping vacation and will travel through Chattenoga. What advice do you have to help us prepare the van for another long trip?
  • amannjoyamannjoy Member Posts: 2
    co-worker advice -> have the transmission serviced (including checking bands), brakes checked, oil changed
    any other ideas? :shades:
  • landmark5landmark5 Member Posts: 1
    I suggest looking into gmc conversion vans. I've owned several and enjoyed them thoroughly.
This discussion has been closed.