2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

SAAB 9-3

Comments

• Options
    goldbergergoldberger Member Posts: 58
    On body repair :-(
    There is neither any need nor any benefit to taking the car back to the dealer for body work. Neither is there any shame in doing so. But, auto body work is a "craft", and selection should be based on the quality of the work, not the sign on the door. Unless you have actual experience with one shop or another, you have to go on the advise of others. But one point to look for: PPG has a certification program for their customers, and they will stand behind the paint part of the repair if it is done by one of their certificate holders. (I'm vague on the exact details: call the local PPG distributor for info if you need it).

As for the "SVO" 900, the Saab web site (http://www.saabusa.com) has published the power and torque curves for the "new" motor. Timing of the release? With the 9-5 wagon being rolled out this spring, I'd guess the fall for the SVO 9-3.
  • Options
    eckdareckdar Member Posts: 30
    tmp1;

Isn't it funny how it always comes down to that last, and sometimes the most difficult, question "which color?" what did you get?
  • Options
    bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    Are you sure they released data on SVO? I can't find it. They have specs for the new 9-3 SE's HOT (High Output Turbo) motor but that's not news.
  • Options
    FREDERICKFREDERICK Member Posts: 228
    goldberger-

Thank you, I always appreciate your honest response to people's inquiries. We still have'nt taken the car in for repair because mostly its just a minor scrape from my estimation.

I suspected that our "Saab" dealer wouldn't be any better at body repair than the average because they didn't even have a repair facility on site. When we had to replace a flat tire they ended up sending us to an off-site independent tire dealer for our new tire.

I actually like the fact that our dealer doesn't have repair facialities available becuase I know that in most dealerships use this is as a major revenue center. Our dealer seemed more than willing to send us to a variety of local independent repair shops for what ever I needed.
  • Options
    At least in my neck of the woods, very few Saab dealers have body shops. This is really a benefit, because when they recommend one, it's usually because their quality of the work is consistent with the quality image Saab would like to portray.
  • Options
    After logging into Saab's website, select "your personal information vehicle". Then, the power and torque curve pops up, at least after you've registered yourself. It shows 225 hp, and a ruler flat torque curve from 2000 to 4000 rpm at 258 ft lb.
  • Options
    Thanks, that was fun. But I am still not sure if that was for the SVO version or next gen. 9-3. It looked like the specs for the 9000 Aero. Perhaps its a 2.3T? Not that I miss more power.
  • Options
    rfellmanrfellman Member Posts: 109
    Anybody have any thoughts on the usefulness of the sport mode on 9-3 autos? Also my 9-3's engine seems to be vibrating and running too rough at idle since the tempature warmed. I only noticed this a day or two ago. I could swear, just last week, it was hard to tell if the engine was running or not. I have only 2000 miles on the car. I can't figure out if I am crazy or whether this annoying rough idle is something fo rthe dealer to correct. Anybody having similar experiences with an automatic?
  • Options
    rfellman-

I'm no rocket scientist but I'd guess you have a slight problem with one of your mirade computer sensors. Don't fret too much just take it into your local dealer and ask them to check it out. If they charge you anything make sure that they know that you're a regular internet user and plan to post your experience on the internet.

I'm a relativly new Saab owner myself and I visit this forum regularly just to hear about the sort of problems you're having. I'm closely following Saab 9-3 postings because at the end of our 3 year lease I'm trying to determine whether buying our car or the new 9-5 wagon is worth it. Dealership maintenenace experiences are very importnant because Saab has be consolodating its dealership net work lately.

Best wishes and please keep us informed about your car.

Sincerely Federick
  • Options
    My engine vibrates a little when I have a few electric accessories on (i.g. defog, seat heater, A/C). It doesn't bother me since it doesn't make the engine stall or anything. The rpm goes up and down a little. BTW, I have 13,000 miles on mine.
  • Options
    I just recall my first test drive in which the engine smoothness was so impressive. Now, I have not exactly babied this car but then who buys a Saab 9-3 to drive slow and methodically. Sometimes I think I am just crazy or too picky, yet I just don't remember having my coffee stirred by engine vibration previously. perhaps this is related to my recent car wash experience at a brushless jet wash. After I drove out, the ebgine was smoking (assumed it was evaporating water aka steam) and I seemed to be experiencing a loss of power as I drove for the rest of the evening. That problem, real or imagined subsided by the next day. I chalked it up to "somehow the engine got too wet theory". Strangely, this problem did not occur during a previous car wash. I think if the perceived engine idle problem does not subside, I will take it in for service. Engine vibration was never previously noticeable or noticed. Perhaps the trionic system is indeed in need of adjustment? I don't want to overstate this problem, it would be perfectly normal in a lesser car, but as perfectionist, I can't abide by it.
  • Options
    Overall, I could not be more pleased with the handling, performance, utility and styling of 9-3. This car is a pleasure to drive fast very fast (accelerate). I have folded the rear seats down with ease and utilized the "hold". What utility and style. The car has so much character. I also delight in seeing the legions of BMW 3 series and Audi A-4s with no rear seat room and cargo capacity.
    I don't regret walking out of the Audi and BMW show rooms.
  • Options
    rfellman & bo chung

Just wanted to echo frederick's post. I too follow this topic to pick up anything I can about the 9-3. Don't currently own, but hope to by late summer/early fall 99. Have to save my pennies first.

Enjoy your rides.
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    FREDERICK, I'm intrigued by your comment:

"Don't fret too much just take it into your local dealer and ask them to check it out. If they charge you anything make sure that they know that you're a regular internet user and plan to post your experience on the internet."

Have you found that when you say that, the dealer doesn't charge you? Or charges you less?

carlady/host
  • Options
    Saab's warranty is very comprehensive, but what is more to the point, Saab is very liberal in approving and paying warranty claims. For example, the dealer recieves *list price* for the parts installed, not *cost*. This makes any dealer with half a brain (or more) very considerate when a customer comes in.

As for the "sport" mode on the 9-3 (and 9-5) automatics: I've found that it makes absolutely no difference: whether in "sport" or "normal", the Saab is impeded by the car in front =8-P
  • Options
    wkimeswkimes Member Posts: 3
    Go to this site
    http://www.saabs.co.uk/saab.htm
    And check out the 9-3 Viggen, could this be the new Aero? Or will it be Viggen? Or will it never come here to the US
  • Options
    This model will be introduced in the US, probably in the fall of '99, under the "SVO" label, as a 3-door coupe. (did you notice that there is no 3-door "SE"?). The 225 (or more, we can hope...)hp full-turbo 4 will likely be available in the 9-5 (5-speed only), and if the "Aero" label is used again in the US, it will more likely be seen there than on the 9-3.

Saab uses different model nomenclature in different markets. On the continent, the "wagon" is called a "Combi" (or Kombi), as derived from the Swedish word for "station wagon". It was not considered for the US: sounds too much like an agricultural harvesting machine. Similarly, the "Griffen" nomencature, which was used on a special edition 9000 CD, never caught on in the US. Too reminiscent of a football player, I suppose.
  • Options
    rfellman1rfellman1 Member Posts: 1
    True. nothing worse then being stuck behind a slow poke in a Saab.
  • Options
    wkimeswkimes Member Posts: 3
    Goldberger,
    Is it your opinion that, the 9-3 SVO will not have the higher horse power engine and this engine would go to the 9-5? If so, would this 9-5 be an Aero, with better suspension and handling? I spoke to a dealer and he was quite cynical about the impending 9-5 Aero. He doesn't think it will materialize.
    I am waiting to see what SAAB may offer in the near future, though I'm ready to get one right now. I'm still interested in a 328i, but I cringe at the thought of dealing with their sales people. Every time I walk into the BMW show room, they let me know how privileged I am. The sales people at SAAB on the other hand, are far more courteous and genuine- It would be a very difficult thing to give my money to BMW.
    Audi is out of the question, I just don't like the way car looks.
    I also want a car I can drive hard, I've spent the last few years with my "nose to the grind stone" and I'm itching to drive.
  • Options
    Carlady-

In response to your #66 response/question posted I'll respond in this manner. My wife and I looked at Saabs 3+ years before we bought our 9-3 in Aug. 1998. The original dealer we went to in So. Los Angeles (Orange County) was selling out of a "diversified" dealership that was also liquidating the last of the Alfa Romeo 164's. Since then the internet has exploded and the dealerships seem to have taken notice when you let them know it.

To see Saabs in such a shockingly desperate sales enviroment was somewhat alrming to both my wife and I. Saab had a reputation in the early 1980's for its turbo's and sold a lot of cars to well heeled neiborhorhoods like Newport Beach, Irvine and Laguna Beach, CA but over a relativly short amount of time the slight good will that Saab had worked so hard to build up in the 1980's has rapidly eroded.

There has been a definite consolidation of dealerships in the U.S. in recent years and the ones that have survived are far more brand and market savy than the "diversified" brand dealerships of the past. Saab has moved to consolidate dealerships in an effort to service its "brand" identity better.

Saab in the U.S. market is in a rather precarious situation. They must lure back their loyal 1980's customers with new models without disauding new millinium customers. Saab is in a tight spot here in the U.S.

The brand has a lot of potential but its majority stake owner G.M. has a lot of fires to fight within it's own domestic brands. Saab can fight through these problems by being the voice within G.M. for the new millenium.

Take a look at the time line of responses to the "new" Saab 9-3 forum and you'll quickly understand how wired Saab customer really are. Saab buyers by nature are differnet in that they embrace the new, the alternative, and technilogical advancements. These are the components that have made the web such a phenominal success today.

I belive that the typical Saab owner is far more wired than just about any other automobile owner today. What we say in forums like this will make a diference. Automobile ownership involves a hell of a lot more than just point A to B transportation other wise we'd all own Honda Civics. Automobile ownership entails passion and life style. Saab is the vehicle of choice for the digitally connected and internet informed.

Before we bought our Saab 9-3 we did a thorough search of the internet to determine exactly what we should pay. In fact it was through Edmunds that we determined that the Saab was our best buy in it's class. My wife and I had driven every other car in its class so that we could comfortibly add our own objective opinions to our internet search.

Ultimatly when we went to but our car both my wife and I had a extremely good idea about how much this car was going to cost us. We ultimatly bought from a dealer no where near our neighborhood because he happened to have the car we wanted on his lot. Becuase of our internet research we were stillable to get the car at exactly what we knew to be the "ideal" internet price even though the dealer knew that we really wanted the car in the color, etc., etc., etc., that they had.

We've gone back to this dealer on once in our past 5k ownership for a punctured tire. They sent us to a local tire store that carrried the brand and type of tire we needed. No small feat at the time but I won't get into that.

We as Saab owners must remain true, open, and honest and then I believe we'll get the kind of service, respect, and return loyalty Saab deserves. Remain connected and you can change your world!
  • Options
    Sorry to bore everyone one at the sight!!!!
  • Options
    very good. I am constantly encouraged/challenged by fellow Saab owners. They make me wanna be a better Saab driver.
  • Options
    Excellent synopsis of Saab owners. We are an analytical lot, not given to heard mentality or conformity. As for value in its class, Saab wins with the 9-3. Saab does not believe the consumer is privileged just to own one of its cars unlike some BMW and Audi dealers. No body wakes up in the morning and says, gee, today I will buy a Saab. We all researched the purchase to death.
  • Options
    See Saab lovers forum in sedans for hearsay e-mail related to CU's bashing of the 9-3 in the Feb 1999 issue of Consumer Reports. Allegedly, CU states the 9-3 is "outclassed" by the BMW 323i and the Audi A-4. You know, CU once said Fruit of Loom briefs were outclassed by Hanes, so naturally I had to burn all of my briefs and totally restock at the mall. God forbid CU should assault Corn Flakes or Pop Tarts. To echo prior sentiments, having CU's automotive writers review a 9-3 is like having of the mill auto auto franchise repair shop mechanic opine on NASCAR. It may be good conversation and occasionally on point, but generally the author fails to limit his remarks to his area of competence. What are the pedigrees of CU's automotive writers? Oh thats right, CU does not wish to hire experst because that would credible bias to their expressed opinions.
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Thanks FREDERICK, I think you've given all of us a better Saab picture.

carlady/host
  • Options
    rfellman

Re your post #75, especially "We all research the purchase to death". Have we met, or did you just talk to my wife?
  • Options
    Perhaps we met in cyberspace. I did get a flurry of e-mails a few weeks back from people contemplating the purchase of a 9-3. As for the car, it is still growing on me and I find myself enjoying it more and more. Worst problem, fights with fiance over who gets to drive! That was the one problem, I failed to adequately plan for. I find myself unable to part with my Saab for even a day. I will have to buy her a 323 or a Saab just to save the relationship, or else I will have to share my toy.
  • Options
    rfellman
    rfellman,

My solution to your worst problem is to get the 5-spd. Although my wife is not very fond of the 9-3 looks anyway, she's less fond of manual trans. Not so sure I want to say this in this topic, especially after reading some of your posts, but....I currently lease a 96 A-4 2.8 which I'll probably buy at lease-end in May. Then if I can convince my wife to give up her 89 Camry for the A-4, I'll begin some serious bargaining on a 9-3 for myself. Although may not be until end of summer/early fall. Hope the good lease deals are still around.
  • Options
    A problem is a blessing in disguise or vice versa. I have a manual 9-3 and the fact that it's a manual keeps my wife from ever touching my 9-3. But now, my problem is I'll have to get her an automatic 323 or a 9-5.
  • Options
    manual Re: bo chung's response: Exactly! in order to maintain automotive harmony in the household, one either compromises up front or one pay for its later. Is there no happy medium?
    I liked the Audi, I just could not fine one with quattro that was not fully loaded. Thus, either I bought a loaded Audi for the bloated MSRP or I walked on priniciple. My price resistance point was 30K and I sought to get as much value as possible for less than that. I was really close to buying a BMW 323i but again, I just could not justify paying too much for a depreciating asset. Well, at least BMW was willing to deal. That is if you think 5 to 6% over invoice is a deal. I thought it was too much to pay to join the legion of BMW lemmings. Still, I would buy a BMW if the price was right. Why have dealer invoice so low and then have MSRP so high and then require buyers to shell out thousands for different suspensions and options. I utilmately identified with the utilitarian Sweed's affordable but austere brand of luxury and performance.
  • Options
    bo chung-

If only I could get "our" Saab away from my wife I'd be in automotive heaven. Since the car is my "wife's" car we had to opt for the less enthusiastic automatic but this car still rocks out of the green light gate. I'd take this car over just about any V-8 I own but she's usually behind its wheel on the way to work down town.

I love big Amrerican V-8's but "our" new Saab has thrilled me to no end. I've already racked up a speeding ticket in the car and had to secretly run down to the local court to pay the ticket without even taking the driving school option, much to the clerk surprise. I just didn't want my wife to find out about the ticket and a day at traffic school surely would have been noticed by her.
  • Options
    bo chung

One of the few negative I noticed on my test drive was the distance from the left foot rest to the clutch pedal, seemed very cramped. Salesman said this was intended, to allow your heel to stay put, swiveling the toe over to the clutch pedal. Am I talking nonsense? What's your take on this? Also, how does one drink a cup of coffee in this car?, or should I say "put one down?" Is the answer "you don't"?
  • Options
    That's was a valid observation. But the salesman's talk is just that: a salesman talk. I had wished that the footrest was placed further back so that I can stretch my left leg out further when I am cruising on a highway. But I got used to it quickly, same way I got used to the inconvenient location and insufficient size of the cup holder. As Doestoevsky said in his book, Brothers Karamazov, "Man can get used to anything." That's why we also get used to being married. :-) But to answer your question about coffee, I drink coffee very carefully if at all. In New York City where I live, you'd be pretty busy with all the stop-and-go and avoiding taxi cabs that stop anywhere anytime. And with a manual, the only time I can safely drink coffee is when I am stopped behind a bus. So I usually get my wife to hold the coffee while I drive. BTW, I have a lot of fun blowing away those mad taxi drivers with my Saab. I actually look forward to stopping at a red-light next to a cab on 5th Avenue. FYI, "drop-clutch" above 3000 rpm provides the most adrenaline rush for me. But I don't recommend doing this too often.
  • Options
    Yes, I relate to the Saab's powerful allure of accleration causing one to transgress the laws of our great society. I am amazed I have not been pulled over as yet. The Saab demands discipline to drive it responsibly. Unfortunately, the car brings out the teenager in a drive very quickly. I would love to drive this car on a closed track with long straight aways. As for the coffee. How about a long straw formt he cupin the dash mounted swilveling holder to your mouth. Something akin to an IV tube? As a wannabe Swede, we are all supposed to forego the nasty American habit of using our Saab as a diner! Also, ever try to smoke a cigar in on of these things. It is frowned upon, hence my lack of an ashtray! The salesmen told me the environmentally conscious Swedes just toss the butts and ash out of the moon roof. I had to penalize him 15 credibility points for that bombastic yet entertaining lie!
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay...
    1) In their latest press release, Saab promised the SVO 9-3 for May, one month after the April US launch of the 9-5 wagon. It *will* have a 225 hp 2.3 motor with a flat 258 ft.-lb. torque from 2000 to 4000 rpm. I'd expect that the engine controls will be set to keep the engine torque to a lower level in 1st and second gears in an attempt to keep the spider gears inside the differential case.
    2) The same press release referred to "some additional great 9-5 news" for the fall.
  • Options
    Any idea as to the invoice price on the SVO? Will it be priced higher than the SE? If so how much?
  • Options
    Anybody ever install any useful "aftermarket" items on a 9-3 from the Saab Catalogue? Any experiences would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I haven't a clue.
  • Options
    JoeDamaJoeDama Member Posts: 5
    I instlled the ashtray kit and the armrest. Both were easy. For the armrest, I gently unsnapped the door for the center console away from its mount, then drilled two small holes into it from the underside cup holder. Then I placed it upside down on top of the armrest and twisted two screws through the the holes in the underside of the center mount into the armrest (I didn't drill holes in the armest). For the front ashtray, I gently removed the existing pigeon hole and then snapped the ashtray assembly into the hole in the dash. I'm thinking that next I may install something more challenging--perhaps the sports exhaust.
  • Options
    EgospoonEgospoon Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have insight into how well the 9-3 is selling in the SF Bay Area? Since its introduction, I've seen exactly one on the road.
  • Options
    In St. Louis County I have one confirmed sighting, a guy down the street and one possible with oncomming traffic outside of a mall. I see scores of first and second generation 900s as well as one 9-5 and and three 9000s and one 9000 Griffin. Saabs are a unique breed. If you want company, you need to look at BMW or Audi or if you desire to be invisible try Lexus or Acura.
  • Options
    How much for the ashtray? $20? Where did you find the armrest? In the Saab Catalogue? How much for that kit?
  • Options
    Oh, I see many 900 convertibles everyday commuting into St Louis City. One evening I was literally mobbed by two other Saabs, a convertible and first generation 900 at a red light. I thought I was at a rally!
  • Options
    In L.A. when we first got our 9-3 early in the new model year we almost saw no new Saabs in our neighbohood but over the past six months there has been three new cars added. Saab's exceptional lease program has really added to the 9-3 drivership ranks. If your not a huge mileage hound this really is an excellent way to get to know the new Saabs
  • Options
    EgospoonEgospoon Member Posts: 10
    Yo Rfellguy,

Don't receive me incorrectly, now, daddy-o: I actually dig hugely the relative rarity of the 9-3. Were I driving one, it would make for a splendid feeling of tooling around in something that says to most people, "You don't know quite what to make of me, do you?"

In posing the question, I was thinking more of what demand there has been, with an eye toward how easy or difficult negotiations might be for the cayenne HOT contraption I am eyeing with barely restrained lust oh you betcha.

I, too, see a great many 900's. Heavens to Betsy, Colonel, y'can't hardly spit without you hit a Swedish doohickey of one kind'r another, here in the lovely Silicon Valley. That's another reason why I was kinda wondering, see? Little weird, thought I, not seeing more than one, here in Organic Brie Land.

Oh, and say, one more thing: on my naively hyper-aggressive test drive of an SE, I found that, when cornering at all hard, my absurdly skinny white behind was sliding hither and thither on that leather upholstery, making me feel that I was riding more ON the car than IN it. Any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    Amen my brother, preach it, preach it. But don't B.S. us with that can't hardly spit routine. The Valley is full of wanna be different conformist and its not Saabs your seeing but BMW's, MCB's and the "unusual" Italian crap.

Got to love those new radio spots from Saab. If they'd only give you more than a few blocks around town you'd really come to understand what Saab power means. Give me the keys for a weekend and I'd really come to understand what they mean. This is why we got the cheesy velour upholstery over leather!
  • Options
    From Saab USA to yours truly:

Dear Robert,

Going to the New York International Auto Show this April? If so, you'll be among the first to see the all-new Saab 9-3 Viggen Coupe!
    The Saab 9-3 Viggen does more than pay tribute to its namesake-the Saab 37 Viggen jet fighter, one of the most agile and versatile aircraft ever developed. This new road-performing Saab also excels at innovative technology and design. With the highest horsepower to-date in the Saab 9-3 line, and impressive torque, new Saab 9-3 Viggen drivers will identify with the thrust available to jet fighter pilots.

Even if you can't make it to the show, you can find out more about this powerful, aerodynamic new Saab, available in very limited numbers this May.

Hope to see you there!
    Click here or copy and paste this link into your browser to find out more:
    http://www.saabusa-piv.com/default.asp?saabid=158145

To unsubscribe from Saab-i, follow the link below:
    http://www.saabusa-piv.com/unsubscribe.asp?saabid=158145
  • Options
    How hard were you driving that 9-3 SE? Perhaps you need to forego the leather seats or eat more so as to lower your center of gravity? Can you get some Tofu and granola or perhaps you could use a diving belt?

As for negotiations on a 9-3 griffin, no one seems to have an inkling of the MSRP or invoice as yet. If they limit availability, I assume the demand curve will intersct the supply curb at or near MSRP. However, if Saab continues to price aggressively to capture market share, it may still be a relative value.
  • Options
    Sorry, Nato will need to send me back to school or perhaps I could just pick up a copy of Jane's All the World's Cars named after Jet fighters produced by neutral countries with plentiful iron ore reserves that straddle the sea passage for the Soviet Baltic Fleet. I will try not to screw up the nomenclature again. Its like calling a 737 a MD-80!
  • Options
    Yes. The velour upholstery is gives you the better grip inside the car. I think the Saab seats and suspensions are designed more for long-range comfort. If you really want M3 like performance and feeling combined with Saab's uniqueness, wait a little for the 9-3 Viggin (225 HP, 17-inch wheels, Aero treatment, sports suspension and seats, etc..). You will definitely feel exclusive since they'll only build 3000 per year. But in an attempt to answer your original question, I think the demand is not that high nationwide. It might be higher in the Bay area but you should still be able to get a good deal relative to Audi or BMW. I have found the Saab dealers to be willing even when they only had one 9-5 SE V-6 on the lot. 9-3's are in much better supply and hence you should be able to negotiate.

robert, I got the same message from Saab. Sounds exciting eh?
This discussion has been closed.