Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

Comments

• Options
    giovwgiovw Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 LS. I paid 22,250.oo for it. It was my dream car until the problems!!! The first thing that went was the censor on the temperature light. Then My engine was burning too much oil to where they had to put a new one in. Then my radio broke. Then just recently my brakes failed and I almost got into an accident. This car only has 13,500 miles on it. I am completely heartbroken. I dreamed and saved for this car from the time that they came out. I know have no choice but to trade this in. Has anyone else had this type of experience if so, what did you do?

Help!!!!!!
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Here's an Edmunds' page that will provide you with links to the nhtsa website where you can search for TSB's, Recalls, and consumer complaints on your VW Beetle. Good luck.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board

• Options
    phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    My wifes 2001 GLX has had no quality or build problems. Only 2000 miles in six months. The car feels very substanial for it size and the headroom rivals many larger cars.
    FWIW
  • Options
    lovecars2lovecars2 Member Posts: 1
    I have heard that a convertible VW beetle is due to come out for 2002. Any truth to this rumor?
  • Options
    gokaygokay Member Posts: 1
    Do you have any idea when 2002 bugs can appear?
  • Options
    satellite77satellite77 Member Posts: 5
    bought a 2000 beetle 8 months ago..totally problem-free w/the exception of a broken overhead storage compartment hatch...sort of hung there and irritated me,the dealer paid for a replacement tho so all is well...currently have 11,000 miles on this funmobile...installed an aftermarket rear spoiler,carbon-fiber "eyelids",billet aluminum antenna,momo shift knob(too cool!),5 spoke custom wheels...carbon-fiber look dash kit is on its way!!...plan to keep this car for life...buy one-life is short!
  • Options
    just got the carbon fiber dash kit-guess i misunderstood...this is REAL carbon fiber...awesome!...installed in a snap...very nice fit...by the way,most of my goodies came from new dimensions...now i have to get a k&n "p-flow" cone filter...maybe a chip upgrade but i will research that extensively before commiting...i'll let ya know!...late!
  • Options
    tajcattajcat Member Posts: 4
    VW's not sending Isotope TDIS's to the US! Drats...anyone here bought a Canadian VW and brought it home to the US?
  • Options
    mothertobemothertobe Member Posts: 1
    I am a happy Mother to be that love the new Beettle. Yesterday, I and my husband went to the dealer to check the space of the new Beetle. After it, we are worried because we feel that is not enough rear space in the beetle to easy deal with the chair of my future baby. Does someone own this cute car and have had to carry little babies with their chairs ?

Thanks.

Luz
  • Options
    a couple other New Beetle discussions into the Additional Resources box on the left side of the page. Keep a look out for other New Beetle features and articles that I'll be soon posting to that area. Hope this is helpful.

To mothertobe- Welcome to the Station Wagons Message Board! In addition to the feedback here, you'll also find some helpful information in Edmund's long term road test of their previously owned 1998 New Beetle. It covers the ownership experience between June 1998 through April 2000... with 24 articles. In particular, read the article for October 99 where there is specific mention of rear passenger space, car seats, and "loading up the little tykes."

Good luck with your decision, and please keep us posted. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• Options
    well,i have installed the p-flo kit in under an hour...it came with a k&n cone filter(replaces big box),k&n air pump filter and a beautiful stainless steel heat-shield/bracket by neuspeed...biggest noticeable difference is the throttle response...also has a nice gggrrrowl now!!...i highly recommend this kit,and i also highly recommend ignoring the brief directions(trust me,you'll figure it out)...later!
  • Options
    john90254john90254 Member Posts: 1
    Great site and comments! Looking for a techno blue GLX (gotta have the turbo!), anybody have suggestions for a dealer in the Los Angeles area? From the posts it seems that problems with the '01 model years are few and far between.

Peyton Kramer in Hawthorne had a few (6 or so) '00 GLX's left, but not sure if it's worth saving a couple hundred (or G's?!) bucks to get last years model. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    "Any suggestions?"

In addition to the feedback here, you may want to check out Edmunds.com's Power Shopper. Good luck, and please keep us posted. ;-)

Pocahontas>
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

• Options
    DanaRDanaR Member Posts: 37
    Hello, here's a response to questions on the reliability of Beetles. I own a 1998 TDI purchased in April 1998 currently with 27000 miles.

Here's a list of the problems I've had since new.

Check engine light came on because of a faulty glow plug (a diesel component). Glow plug replaced and warning light reset;

A/C needed coolant;

Minor squeak in the rear seat latch;

Right window lift mechanism broke (cost: $330 to fix!);

All of the repairs except the window problem were fixed under warranty, plus all maintenance was covered too under the free factory maintenance plan. So my experience has not been too bad. The TDI gets great mileage so this is a bonus in these days of high gas prices. I recommend this car based on my experience.

Dana
  • Options
    blubyeu2blubyeu2 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Techo Blue GLX in August of 2000. I have 12,000+ miles on it. I love it. I have had a couple of minor problems. The inside slider for the sun-roof jammed.(My fault). Fixed under warranty. I have an "beep" that sounds occassionaly when I shut off the engine. Nobody at two dealerships has a clue. I love the car it is a joy to drive.
  • Options
    in response to john90254:really,the only difference between the 2001's and the 2000's is the side view mirror!!...you might do your bank account a favor and consider the 2000...anyway,i now have 13000 miles on my beautiful black 2000 beetle and no probz!...cant believe i read so many complaints about reliability(admittedly,mostly '98's and 99's) when mine has been so dead-on reliable...it helps that i bought my bug from a quality dealership(speedway volkswagon...cheap plug!)...peace
  • Options
    mateyomateyo Member Posts: 22
    Over Memorial Day Weekend I was on I-45 (Houston to Dallas) and drove beside a Beetle in what appeared to be a metallic champagne color. I loved it, and "thumbs-upped" the driver. Is this an available color? It's not listed on the VW web site, though Isotope is.

I'm starting to get into the new car market and the Beetle is on my list. If I can't get this champagne color through the factory I will go with Batik Blue. Thanks to all.
  • Options
    seloveselove Member Posts: 12
    Mateyo:

My local dealership had a champagne colored beetle on the lot a few weeks ago. I thought it might have been an early 2002 car, but nope, its a 2001.

For 2002, VW is changing some of the stock colors. There will still be a blue, red, yellow etc., but I think the hues will be slightly different. You might want to check into that before you get totally set on having Batik Blue.

-susan
  • Options
    chryslertmichryslertmi Member Posts: 10
    Boy, has the PT Cruiser squashed the alure of the bug or what? I compared them, and there is no comparison. It's no wonder the PT is so hot.
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    You're right. The PT Cruiser looks like a fun car, but it's still a Neon underneath. There is no comparison to what it's like to drive a VW.
  • Options
    dudeerdudeer Member Posts: 2
    Well I bought my niece a 99 red beetle three years ago.
    I'm mad beyond anything, I just came off the phone with her.
    The cars direvers side window one again fell apart inside the door. So far she had following problems (36k miles).
    All (I mean ALL) electric switches (AC, windows on both doors, radio,etc..) just broke. I broke the drivers side window switch by pressing it in order to lower the window.
    The belly protector pan fell out in the car wash.
    Oil pan (??) fell out in another car wash.
    Drivers side window broke inside the door while lowering (twice), passenger side window broke too.
    AC died twice, left wiper fell apart (arm disconnected from the rotating mechanism).
    There were few more smaller problems.

What the h*** did VW do with this car.It looks so cute but is the biggest piece........

Then they wonder how come Honda is no.1 with their Civics.

Dan
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    ummm...the oil pan fell off? I could buy most of what you wrote even if it's a bit extreme. But I don't see how the oil pan is going to fall off. Sure your not mistaking it for something else? If an oil pan was gradually getting loose enough over time to fall off (I don't see how that could ever happen), you'd have blown almost all the oil out of the gap that would have started between the engine block and the pan well before it would have droped off.
  • Options
    gserep1gserep1 Member Posts: 92
    Hello,
    I have a 2000 Beetle GL with automatic transmission. My teeenage daughters drive it now, and all I get to do is service it, and give it back. I got a complaint from them that the "check engine " light came on while I was out of town on a trip. I told them to make sure that the gas cap was screwed on tight, because a loose cap WILL cause the light to come on. Well, after that, it still stayed on. I came home, and found something strange....the little vacuum hose that connects the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold was worn out from the heat, and had just fallen off. It has a fabric coating over the standard 5/32" hose. A quick trip to Autozone, and I had a foot of hose in my hand, ready to replace it. I replaced the hose, and noticed no difference in the light, so I drove home. Once home, I looked around for more broken hoses, and as luck would have it, I found 1 more hose broken, and one more ready to break. Another trip to Autozone, and I got 4 feet of this hose, and started replacing it everywhere it looked bad. The car was hot, and I had to wait. One of those hoses goes to the diverter valve near the EGR valve...what a pain to change.

Anyway, the light still won't go out, and the best thing the dealer can tell me is that he can turn it off for $90.00, IF there is nothing else wrong. Those vacuum hoses can INDEED turn that light on, but I also know from personal experience that the computer will reset itself after a series of "cycles", or periods of time where the engine is started cold, and driven, and then allowed to cool off before repeating the process again. On my last car, it took about 3 days for the computer to correct itself.

I will keep you posted "when/if" this light goes off during the next week. I am sure that there are no more faults, as it once again runs smoothly and evenly. vacuum leaks cause misfire, and sooty exhaust..(both of which this car had until I replaced those hoses.)

Wish me luck,
    Respectfully,
    GSEREP1
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Just get a VAG-Com from rosstech and reset the light yourself. It takes literally two seconds and you'll get to see what code is thrown.

- Anthony
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    After hearing about all of the problems that these cars can have, now you know why I opted for the extra warranty that includes all parts and labor (zero deductible) for $16 more a month. If ANYTHING goes during the life of my 5 year loan, it's all paid for (Volkswagens Platinum Plan) total cost for plan: $960.
  • Options
    jflickjflick Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at purchasing a New Beetle. While perusing the show room display model at one of my local VW dealers, I noticed the clock and the outside temperature LCD display (on the overhead console) where on, even though there was no key in the ignition. For those of you with Beetles, is this normal? The salesman said that is indeed normal. This seems odd - won't this cause a battery drain? Or do LCD's use a very small amount of energy, or am I crazy?
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I saw the first Snap Orange Tubo Beetle with orange and silver wheels and black and orange leather interior at Donaldson's in Sayville, NY.

Incredible.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks- Here's a direct link to Edmunds' First Drive of the 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S, by Karl Brauer. Let us know what you think. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    From Edmunds' Coverage of the LA Auto Show:

Read the full story here: 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S, by Liz Kim. Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The current VW Jetta Owners has been changed to simply Volkswagen Owners. This way all VW models (and owners) are now included in the Town Hall clubs.

Please drop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    georgek44georgek44 Member Posts: 81
    I have a 2000 Passat 1.8T station wagon that I like very much, especially for long trips, hauling stuff and fishing. I'm thinking of buying a smaller second car, one that will be more entertaining on short trips and my daily 50 mile R/T commute.

Last week I test drove a Turbo S. The verdict:

Drive train - 1.8T, 180 hp, 6-speed, ESP: A+ (big grins all the time!)

Instrumentation - large speedometer, tiny tach and gas guage and no temp or oil pressure guages: F- (What were they thinking????)

Automatic spoiler deploying at 45 mph with a loud clunk
    and retracting with an irritating whir at every red light: F-
    ("This is your brain on dope")

Slippery leather seats: D-

Overall: D+/C- Nice try, better luck next time. This is a shame, because with good cloth or sticky suede seats, a large tachometer and other guages, and a spoiler that deploys at 65 mph or so this could be a very entertaining car. As it is I would not consider buying one.

If VWA offered this drive train in the GTI I'd have written a deposit check on the spot. The GTI 5 speed transmission is stiff and clunky. The shorter-throw 6 speed is much improved albeit not up to BMW standards. It will be available on the GTI only with the V-6, which makes the car feel front-heavy and ponderous. I drove the Turbo S in Frederick, MD. The twisty back roads were still wet and perhaps just a bit icy. The ESP was great in these conditions. It was not noticeable, but kept the car stable at all times.
  • Options
    gserep1gserep1 Member Posts: 92
    Thanks Anthony For The Advice,
    How much IS this WONDERFUL DEVICE? As a follow up to the previous post, I was able to find a dealership that checked and turned off the check engine light in about 2 minutes for free. I found that 2 vacuum lines were broken from underhood heat. I replaced them. One was to the fuel pressure regulator, and the other was to the air diverter valve. All fixed in no time flat for about $3.00 and my time.

I agree with another writer about the need for a MAJOR extended warranty plan. This car has the potential for being a giant NIGHTMARE. It is either one thing or the other.

Some other gripes that bug me. Rear Brake Pad life. It is horrible. I know that pad wear is primarily determined by usage, but 20 to 25,000 miles in stop and go driving is pretty extreme. I used the car primarily for freeway driving for the first year and a half, and I was able to squeeze nearly 48,000 miles out of the original set of rears. My daughters have not been so lucky because they drive in the city, and I suspect, a little more aggressively..(for sure). The dealers admit to the fact that the rears wear out faster anyway, but that is a bit severe in my opinion.

The fronts are bullet-proof. They still look good even after 72,000 miles. By the way, the front pads cost about $160.00 a set for the "ITT style" of pad. This style has a "sensor" embedded in the pad. If yours has wires on the front pads it is the ITT style.

The other style is the "FS3 type". It has no wires, and costs only about 30 dollars less. Very expensive for pads. I feel that the proportioning system is geared towards the rear, which saves the fronts. I was told that the were ALL like this.

My other gripe is the electrics. I have had an airbag module replaced at 53,000 miles. VW stepped in and fixed it after some negotiation on my part. NOW I have one cooling fan that does not come on. The small fan cycles normally, but the BIG one does not. I am sure that the engine is hot enough for it to come on. I suspect a bad motor. More money for sure.

I already have this car paid for, and I want to get some more usage out of it before getting rid of it. However, if it continues on this path, I will be forced to dump it real soon.

Thanks again,
    GSEREP1
  • Options
    VW used a softer compound rear bad to eliminate the squeeling that people were complaining about. In doing so, they decreased the life of the pad, and also increased the brake dust.
  • Options
    slosslos Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 Beetle and it has recently started to have the brakes squeal when they are applied going in reverse. Anyone else run into this? It hasn't been obvious yet which set is squealing, but I believe it might be the fronts.
  • Options
    To see how much they have worn. If the pads are fine, then you probably don't have anything to worry about and it will go away after a while.

My 12.3" Big brake kit squeals sometimes.....
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Nice to stumble into you here. Haven't seen you in the Accord topic for awhile. So you also have a Beetle in addition to your GTI?

My wife thinks the Beetle is cute. What's your recommendation on it? Reliability (still) an issue? Bear in mind she is used to Honda's legendary reliability. BTW, does the standard Beetle security system offer passive arming and auto relock?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
  • Options
    Even during the time I had the Accord.

Reliability - The only problems we've had is the sunshade breaking (replaced under warranty), a window switch breaking (replaced under warranty), the climate control light burned out (I bought a new bulb for $1 and replaced it myself) and that's all I can remember.

We have the 2.0L engine, and it's just alright. It doesn't get too great of gas mileage, it's loud, and not very powerful. However, it has a good amount of torque, and it's relatively cheap. Also, it likes to drink oil, and it seems as if most VW 2.0L engines do. VWoA issued a TSB on this problem, and it's being looked into. However, for 03 there will no longer be a 2.0L engine anymore.

For your other questions, I don't know. Check out VWvortex http://forums.vwvortex.com ,click on Volkswagen, then New Beetle. You will be able to find plenty of information there. :)

• Options
    "BTW, does the standard Beetle security system offer passive arming and auto relock?"

You may also want to copy/paste your question into our Town Hall VW Owner's Club Accessories & Modifications discussion. Someone there may be able to respond to your question. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    No more White, Red, Double Yellow and Blue Lagoon
    Two trims (GLS, GLX, no more base GL)
    Standard cold-weather package for all Beetles
    Standard 17-inch alloy wheels for GLX
    1.8Turbo for GLX only, no longer for GLS
    No more Monsoon stereo upgrade as stand-alone option
    No more grey interiors (includes cloth, leatherette and leather)
  • Options
    The car will be launched at the NYC show in March, with first cars available towards the end of summer.
    Initial launch was suppose to be April/May 2002.
    The delay is related to two issues, the top and the automatic transmissions.
    The final design of the car has been settled and the car is in prodcution.
    VW/Karmann feel the top needs to be easier to "latch" at the windshield then it currently is, and a fix is in the works.
    There is a shortage of automatics and this will lead to the car being launched initially with the 5 speed only. This was decided on to prevent any further delay in its' launch window.
    Regarding the top, it will be a conventional top, with a glass rear window.
    The turbo versions will get a top mounted speed activated spoiler much like the coupes.
    The car will also be equipped with a "pop up" style rollbar, that will activate like the ones in the Mercedes Benz SL's.
    The current New Cabrio (Golf based) is still in production but has been cut back to just the GLS and GLX models and only in automatic transmission.
    It is also available in a limited palette of 6 colors.
    As far as I know it will continue for a while alongside the NBC until there is no longer any inmterest in it. It will be available as a 2003.
  • Options
    beetlenoozbeetlenooz Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 GLS Automatic is averaging 2,615 miles between needing to add a quart of oil. This figure includes scheduled oil changes and loss of oil as indicated on the dip stick. I needed to add oil after the first 2,285 miles and now, 2,550 miles after the last oil change. Have 13,190 miles on odometer. How often are other New Beetle owners adding oil?
    Beetleenooz.
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Went in to test drive a Passat Wagon and left with a deposit on a Snap Orange Turbo. I got 36 hours to research this.

Dealer wouldn't budge on Sticker, something like 22.5K. What do you think? Or wait for convertible.

What do you think of Snap Orange, and they say it's limited, any numbers on how many is limited?

Dealer quoted their cost of Cd Changer installed is $490? Should I go for it, or can I find it cheaper and what does installation take?

Any other recommendations---Thanks?
  • Options
    The Snap Orange is a "color concept" model that is limited in production. How many were made, don't know but most dealers only got one though some had two or three. A lot of them were marked higher than list price so MSRP is not a bad price but not great either. As for the CD player, the VW CD Changer is made by Panasonic and is nearly the same as a Panasonic CX-DP610. They can be purchased for less than $200 but require a wiring adapter that is $35 to $50. Very easy to install. Here is a link to a how to on install. http://roadsleeper.vwmafia.net/cdc.html

I have a idea for you, how about you tell the dealer that you will buy the Snap Orange Beetle for MSRP IF they include a CD Changer, installed. This will cost the dealership around $200, save you some $, and still leave PLENTY of profit for the dealer. The VW CD Changer new is available in the classifieds on www.vwvortex.com for $200 to $250. Good luck, I am amazed that you would be converted from a Passat Wagon to a NB, make sure you are not buying on sheer emotion.
  • Options
    The Snap Orange is a "color concept" model that is limited in production. How many were made, don't know but most dealers only got one though some had two or three. A lot of them were marked higher than list price so MSRP is not a bad price but not great either. As for the CD player, the VW CD Changer is made by Panasonic and is nearly the same as a Panasonic CX-DP610. They can be purchased for less than $200 but require a wiring adapter that is $35 to $50. Very easy to install. Here is a link to a how to on install. http://roadsleeper.vwmafia.net/cdc.html

I have a idea for you, how about you tell the dealer that you will buy the Snap Orange Beetle for MSRP IF they include a CD Changer, installed. This will cost the dealership around $200, save you some $, and still leave PLENTY of profit for the dealer. The VW CD Changer new is available in the classifieds on www.vwvortex.com for $200 to $250. Good luck, I am amazed that you would be converted from a Passat Wagon to a NB, make sure you are not buying on sheer emotion.
  • Options
    What's your name on vortex??? You know of Adrian's site, and all of this other useful info. So, care to enlighten me?? :)

BTW, the link to the classfieds is http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=48 (for Golf IV/Jetta IV classifieds). http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=50 (for NB classifieds). The G/J IV classifieds forum gets a lot more hits, and I believe that the CD changers are the same for both cars, but I will double check tomorrow as I have a GTI and a New Beetle.

Good luck.

• Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Thanks for the info guys. Dealer didn't want to throw in the cd changer, but this was before signing on the line. So I'll see if I can get it thrown in, if not, I'll do it myself, or see about a indash Mp3 player. Reliability doesn't sound good, but that's what warrantys are for. I would call it an emotional purchase, but I'm keeping my old passat wagon. That makes 4 cars and 3 bays in the garage. I'll park the wagon in front of the neighbors,lol. 173k miles and the engine runs strong, drinks oil, blows it out the other end, and forget about electrical--gone awhile ago. Only a 93', but got my money out of it. Thanks again.
  • Options
    bamerdenbamerden Member Posts: 1
    i am looking for a turnkey job on putting together a newer vw frame and drivetrain and a kit body. does anyone know where i could start looking?
  • Options
    agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Are repairs for New Beetles expensive, or are the same as other makes
  • Options
    agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Are New beetles reliable or have people had a lot of problems with them.