Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

Comments

• Options
    heckel2heckel2 Member Posts: 19
    govu: dhk:
    Thanks for the info on the oil changes. I suppose your right what is another 140.00 for a car that I fell in love with. The dealer in the Topeka Kansas area sales them for sticker and will not go down any on price but other dealers in even bigger markets are still like 1500-2000 over sticker. That is insane. I never ever even paid sticker for a car yet always gotten better deals but it looks like I'm going to have to shell out sticker in order to get this one. I have to admit though there never really ever has been a car that I must have but this is defintely one. Have either one of you had any problems with your new beetles?
  • Options
    robjeffrobjeff Member Posts: 1
    My wife just bought the 2000 1.8T GLS 5 speed w/ luxury package last month and really loves it. Got the dark blue with grey cloth, put the arched wing spoiler on the rear (very sharp) and got the windows tinted. Real attention getter. Getting about 30 MPG and is trouble free so far. Great info on this site, including the conclusion that the cruise control light is inoperable on the 2000 and earlier models. Saves me a trip to the dealer.

On the subject of oil changes, I may take it in for the free service, but much prefer to do this myself. Service people aren't always as mindful on keeping things clean, and I worry about oil and dirt stains on this color interior. Also, getting to the dealer is not always convenient. Has anyone gone the do it yourself route? What's involved in accessing the drain plug, and is the filter in a tight spot?
  • Options
    mtnbunny27mtnbunny27 Member Posts: 32
    Dave.........why oh why?? do you suppose a dealer would "buff" a new vehicle?? That is the strangest thing I have ever heard, unless he is applying some kind of sealer, even so, their people don't know what they are doing if they are leaving swirl marks. (I used to work in a new car dealership, as a detail boy). The Beetle I buy, had better have flawless paint, I don't want some yahooo detail boy ruining a 23 thousand dollar car!
    I am going to check into the dealers you mentioned.
    Also, as for everyone that is so concerned about the initial cost of the TDI, and the recovery of such over the long run.

This is my opinion to those that haven't bought yet....... pay a little more, buy the TDI, as you will be gloating through every gas pump, with the nominal operation cost. People should be buying vehicles that save gas, even if it does cost a little more initially. You can be assured the fuel costs will continue to fluctuate up and up and up! Most dealers offer free oil changes for a long time, this helps defer the cost of the TDI oil change. I know people would rather deplete our resources before buying the most fuel efficient cars on the market. Then they will cry and whine that they no longer can drive a car, because the fuel is all gone, or our clean air is depleted. I wish more of you would consider the TDI, I think you would really love it in the long run. Good Luck to all, including myself whom have not purchased anything yet, and may all of us find the "right" vehicle! With me it is either the 2001 TDI. Or the Forester, which by the way I would never be happy with the LOOOOOOOWWWWWWW mileage it gets. But sure would love to get on to some of those cool backroads. 30 mpg isn't too bad but sure doesn't come close to 45 to 55 mpg that the TDI gets!
  • Options
    casey_marsrowcasey_marsrow Member Posts: 1
    I'm shopping for a NB. As a college student with not so huge cash flow, I'm trying to keep costs down. However, I really like leather in cars. Unfortunatly that is expensive. I'm thinking of getting a "leatherette" interior and I'm wondering if anybody has any comments or experiences to share with the "leatherette" interior. I went to the VW website and could not find any info. Is it like leather? Does it get really hot in the sun (I live in Texas.) Does it rip easily? Is cloth simply a better alternative to leather than leatherette? Thanks.
  • Options
    tdibugbluestdibugblues Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response and with further research, i discovered to my horror that TDI's are not permitted in California for environmentals purposes. How sad! Of all the states that could benefit from this vehicle, California is a definite.

Now i am uncertain which car to purchase. I was so stuck on the TDI and now i need assistance with the difference as far as mileage on the 200 and now having to compare the NB with the Honda Civic.
    It was so easy to focus on the NB TDI that i didn't think of another car. Please help and recommend! Thanks

tdibugblues
  • Options
    Believe me, we have looked into every possible gas saving vehicle on the market. The only car that comes close to the VW TDI Beetle is the Honda Civic HX, with the manual; 38/45, or little less with the CVT transmission; 35/41. You might look into it. The cost is only 16 thousand or so out the door. The build quality is better than any other similar car. The thing that we dis-like about them is, they aren't "fun" like the Beetle. And Honda is not releasing the "hatchback" model in North America for 2001......... Instead, the rear seats fold down, and you have to load through the trunk lid......ugh! But otherwise they are comparable. You might also try the 2.0 (24/31 mpg) 1.8 (25/31 mpg), Beetle. I would go for the 1.8 even though the mileage on the 2.0 may run a little more, perhaps up to 35/38 at times. Not too bad of mileage, and still you would have a great little car that would be the envy of everyone. As far as not allowing the TDI in California, that is sad, especially since the TDI runs cleaner than the gas engines. But I guess it boils down to California having tighter emission restrictions because they have so many cars, and so many air problems. And they feel the diesels are the worst offenders. Maybe that will change someday. You can buy a used one out of state, and get it in.......but I don't know if it is worth the hassle, and have heard that if you get caught trying to "by-pass" the law, you will never get it registered. Some people are buying new ones and putting the required mileage on them to make them "used" in the eyes of California, and then trying to register them. You can be assured they will be scrutinizing the registering of a used "banned new car" quite closely! I wouldn't try it. You could try moving to Arizona, or registering it at home if you are a student.....
    You may also try the Honda Insight, suppose to get 70 mpg, but more like 55 to 65, they are two seaters, but can only carry about 365 pounds of cargo and passengers, including you. Not very practical, they are all aluminum bodies, so verrryyyyy expensive to repair. I saw a new one, unbelievably, on the Beaudry Honda VW website recently, surprised, as they are hard to find, cost about 20 to 22 thousand.
    Stay away from Chevy Metro, Echo, and the Focus, (my opinion).
    Stay with VW, Honda or Subaru, if you want durability and dependability for a reasonable cost, and good mileage too!
    Hope this helps a little...........
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    On my sisters beetle the airbag light is on and earlier this afternoon it wouldn't start. The Airbag light is still on, and it didn't have problems starting this time. Is this one of the VW electrical problems I've heard a lot about? I hope not. Or it could be due to the fact that she ran into a toll booth.... I hope it's not a major problem. Other than this problem now at 13,000 miles, the car has been great. I even enjoy driving it sometimes (even though it's purple and has a DIVA sticker on the window), I do like the high build quality of the VWs.

BTW, I just purchased a 2001 GTI VR6 this weekend and I love the car.... Very fast...

Any idea's or known problems with the beetle's airbag light and it not starting???

Thanks,
    - Anthony
  • Options
    dhkdhk Member Posts: 49
    Casey: I'd try to get cloth, esp. in Texas. Leatherette is just vinyl plastic, and can get hot and sticky. It was common on Beetles and everything else in the 70's, but cloth is really more comfortable in the heat. My '00 NB GLX is the first car I've had with real leather in many years...it smells great, but is sticky and hot compared to cloth seats. Particularly on a budget, I'd skip the leather....just my opinion.
  • Options
    My little bit of input.....

Beetle airbag lights can be a problem, from what I have heard. They seem to have a habit of lighting up for no reason. But the fact that a collision, even if minor with the car, sheds more than a little light on the problem. I would think that contact with a toll-booth may have had an effect on one of the concealed sensors of the air bags. Thankfully they didn't deploy! I hope! This is something a dealer can look into. As far as the starting problem, may be unconnected or.......you never know, may be related.....hope you get to the bottom of it!
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    car2nscar2ns Member Posts: 15
    I think I've heard of your problem before (airbag light and intermittent starting). I believe the solution is to have the dealer replace the instrument cluster (sounds weird, I know).
  • Options
    bambam2bambam2 Member Posts: 7
    dhk--

I have black leatherette interior on my 2000 GLS and I love it. I live in Santa Barbara (which gets hot in the summer, but not as hot as the drier regions of Texas) and the seats have never been too hot when I get in the car. Maybe you should try grey or cream leatherette. The vinyl they use for the leatherette now is really different from the old VWs; it's more pliable and feels like it "breathes" better.

I almost got cloth seats, but when I test drove that car I noticed that my hair stuck to the seats. They produced so much static cling that it seemed like it would be a pain to brush the seats clean all the time. The leatherette stays lint free all the time. (Plus no cows died for my Bug!)
  • Options
    tigger328_98tigger328_98 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, If you are considering buying a new vw bug... please read this carefully. If you have already bought one and you've had the problems I'm about to list... I would love to hear from you!!!
    I bought a 2000 GLS last September. I was in love with it at first sight! It was my first "new" car at a somewhat reasonable price of 367 per month. I drove it approximately 3 weeks when the first problem started. My radio went out. Or at least all of the speakers on the right side. A week after... my airbag light started coming on. I took the car in and they stated that it was a couple of loose wires??? Then about 2 months later my brake light started beeping and flashing... beeping and flashing. Looked under the hood and my brake fluid was bone DRY. Not to mention I just got it back from its routine checkup. So, I filled it back up and made an appointment to get "it" fixed. Volkswagen had my car for a week and a half and decided that is was a cracked brake master cylinder. Relieved knowing they found the problem I picked the car up... and started driving off the lot. I went to put my brakes on and noticed I had to pump them about 5 times NOT to run into oncoming traffic! So, I turned around again and it turns out they didn't even bleed the brakes after they replaced the cylinder!!! So, finally getting my car back I drove about 2 months longer when my dash lights went out... and once again, went into the shop... and it was... once again... a loose wire. Approximately 2 months after that, the airbag light came back on again... and my left side speakers went out AGAIN. Are you surprised with the response I got... guess what: a loose wire! Not to say that I was not more than just a little ticked off. Now... the "pleather" is bubbling and peeling off my seats and I went to roll down my window and found that the motor has burned out. I am tired of already knowing the answer to my problems of being a loose wire. I called VW direct and the lady on the line chuckled and said "perhaps someone fell asleep on the assembly line"
    What customer service. Also I have found out that even though my car is only 10 months old, because it has 24500 miles on it I will be unable to claim this on my warantee. I've now filed with my lawyer to get me out of my lease so I have my fingers crossed. And this morning, on my way to work, I now have a strange vibration through out my entire front end.
    Please, if you are considering buying a Volkswagen think again! I have now vowed to NEVER make the same mistake twice!
  • Options
    Tigger: Can't blame you one bit. Your car has some problems, and sounds as if your dealer takes three tries to fix anything. On the other hand, my NB GLX has had only one problem in the first six months, an intermittant horn, which should be fixed at the first service. Looks may get you into the car, but quality and service mean everything down the road.
  • Options
    jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    My wife got her new 99' red NB GLS last September and is really happy about it - no problem whatsoever. But lately I found out everytime I turn on the A/C, sooner or later there would be a "WOOO" noise coming out from the A/C unit. Could not do anything in the car to eliminate it - I tried turn it up, run up the rev. Then strangely, sooner or later, it'll go away. The A/C works continuously. Does anybody have the same problem? I am planning to mension it to the shop when the car is due for the next oil change. I have not made a big deal of it yet since the A/C continues to keep me cool.

john
  • Options
    Would really appreciate some input on the Beetle being so low, as well as the front bumper being low to the ground. Do any of you all have trouble hitting things??? Is it a real problem, and do you worry every time you leave the main road??? We really love the Beetle, but worry that we will never be able to travel many side-roads with it. Have heard that the front bumper underside damages very easily. I wonder if getting the new 2001 17 inch wheels will help at all???? We live in a rural area and don't want to buy a car that can never be driven on uneven surfaces. I read one post where a guy found that the bumper was damaged on his New Beetle from point of purchase, when he took it back to be fixed, it got damaged again, before it even left the lot! Makes me very nervous, I also live where it snows occasionally!
    Appreciate any input from Beetle owners that have taken their cars off the main thoroughfares!
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    I bottomed out once on an extremely rutted two-track. However, I've had absolutely no problem with dirt roads or with snow (I live in Michigan, where it snows a lot).
  • Options
    kitten4kitten4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market to purchase a new car, and the only ones that interest me are the new beetles GLS and the Jetta GLS. But I've heard too many complaints on both cars actually, that I'm worried about the reliability of VWs. Can anyone pursue me otherwise, and what exactly would be considered a good deal?
  • Options
    hurtubisehurtubise Member Posts: 9
    Kitten, I've owned several VW's and have found them to be well built and reliable. Not to say there aren't some lemons out there. In 91' I use to race my GTI, and I beat vehicles worth several times my lowly GTI. The same year a lady driving a USA boat creamed me on a curve, in the middle of a horrendous snowstorm. I was driving 35mph in a 50 zone and had four studded tires on my GTI. The paramedics who cut me out said they were amazed at how well the car held up. It took eight years to recover enough to work. I've been able to drive since shortly after the accident and I soon bought a VW Cabrio. Great car! Misfortune rung her bell again and I was forced to sell the Cabrio. Since then I've owned four other cars. I'm hooked, I just love new cars!! The Integra I owned was fast and fun, but a killer on long rides. I owned a KIA 2-door Sportage that was bought back through the Lemon Law and I just sold my 99 Ford Ranger because it was such a bore to drive. Now I own a 2000 Reflex. It handles great, has high reliability, and does great in a crash-important to me. Buy the Bug! Yes, some will have problems, but overall it is a great car. Handling is better,in my opinion, than in similarly priced Japanese cars.
    Now, who can help me find some after-market parts for my Reflex Beetle?
    Cheers!
  • Options
    fournafourna Member Posts: 1
    I have just been through the ringer with my
    sweet little 98 Silver Bug. I have wanted one ever since I was a little girl, and it's my first car. In other words, I love it.

Unfortunately, 3 weeks ago, while on my way to a cottage on my first day of Summer vacation, my temp light came on and beeped at me. I tried to get to the next town to have it looked at and it died on the exit ramp.

It was towed to the closest city to my cottage (no thanks to VW Roadside - they wanted to tow me back 80 KMs not the 130 it would take to get me closer to my destination). It seemed like a relatively simple thing, the coolant had spilled out all over the place because the rad hose had become unclipped, and was rubbing against the fan belt.

2 days later they called me (at the cottage) to tell me there was a hole in my oil pan. I was a tad skeptical about the timing of this - and they also said that this had to be as a result of "impact". I've been told since that it is possible to put a hole in your oil pan and have no idea - I remain skeptical.

3 days later it was the head gasket, and then the whole engine - $7000 kids! Which is to be covered by my insurance at a 500 dollar deductible to me, and God only knows how it'll affect my rates (first car and all). VW has been terrible in terms of customer service.

The dealership I left it at didn't even call me to let me know when I could pick it up. When I called them their line was busy for 2 days straight and I found our their line had been cut accidentally.I ended up getting in touch with a mechanic from the neighbouring GM dealer who found out what was up with the car and let me know (on his own time).

The VW customer service guy I talked to on the phone was a smug little guy too. I'm pretty saddened by the entire experience, maybe my expectation for VW were too high. Unfortunately it looks like litigation is the only way I can resolve this...

To top it all off, in reviewing my papers, I found out that amy odometer may have been rolled back before I bought the car.

I'm not blaming my bug, but I'm not feeling too safe in it these days either. I keep wondering if something's going to drop off while I'm going 120Km/hour (bout 80MPH).

Carlady - I've looked for a 98 VW Bug owner's
    club so I can check out possible defects which led to the demise of my car but can't find any. Help??

Thanks
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    fourna, this topic is for all New Beetle owners, regardless of the year of the car.

carlady/host
  • Options
    laturjlaturj Member Posts: 45
    I believe that the problem many of us have with NB's is the service we get - it stinks. I have had a number of issues with my 98 NB (as posted previously) and it is the service that is so lousy that really makes me angry, more so than the problems that I have had. I think that finding good service at any place can be tough, but when we pay 20g's for a car we want at least as good of service that we get when we pay 10 bucks for a dinner. I recently told a friend who wanted a NB NOT to get one because the service was so bad here in Austin. I feel for the horror stories, but am not sure what we can really do. Find a dealer we can trust i guess. I have also heard good things about the vw dealer in killeen. So i guess i should drive the hour, and at least i won't be taking it in three times.

AC -- my air makes a noise at times too, but only on the 2 and 3 speeds of the fan. i just turn my radio up louder cause i don't want to have to take it in for service.

I still love my NB -- and will keep it, i just need to move i guess so i can get decent service.
  • Options
    Have to chime in here. My '00NB GLX has been at the dealer since 9 Aug. Went in for the first 6 month service with what I thought was two "minor" problems; an intermittant horn, and a jammed sunroof shade. The roof worked fine, just the interior sliding shade had jammed.

Turns out the (plastic) shade track was broken, requiring a new sunroof frame. This piece has been on backorder since 10 Aug, and all the while my car has been sitting with the headliner down and sunroof completely out. Dealer now says a sunroof frame has been located in Canada, and will be shipped in to arrive on Monday, 21 Aug.

The dealer freely provided a rental car, but the Tracer just isn't the same as having my car back.
    I've gotten calls often, and yesterday told the Parts/Service Manager that the reputation that VW has for poor customer support is certainly proving to be true. He seemed surprised to hear this comment.

Maybe I expect too much, but with VWOA making money hand-over-fist, they can certainly afford to stock parts. If the part was not in stock in US warehouse, seems it could be shipped direct from the Puebla factory. Since they are on strike now, they ought to have about 300 or so "extra" sunroof frames a day coming in.

The other strange thing is that they took the entire roof out before ordering the part, since I could see the broken plastic track sticking out in front of the shade. I don't mind driving my car with the shade stuck half-way open while waiting for the parts to arrive, but I do mind having my car sit for weeks waiting for a trim part.

Sorry to rant like this, but the NB's been great up till now. Proves how poor support from VWOA can turn a minor repair into a major customer problem. Hope the support guys are getting a big chunk of the profit-sharing for holding down VWOA inventory costs.
  • Options
    chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    Hi everyone! I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your beetles :( I just got mine last week and I'm praying that I won't have those problems. So far I have had tons of fun with my bug. I had a Dodge neon and its ALOT better than the neon.
    I've gotten tons of compliments and waves :) I'm really enjoying my beetle!!
    I have a 2001 CyberGreen GLX 1.8T automatic
  • Options
    kndrdsp1kndrdsp1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

This is a great website. I love all the input.
    I am hoping that someone can help me...I want to know if anyone has had experience with Masterguard. I would also like their phone number.

Thanks so much for any input. =)
  • Options
    ljamljam Member Posts: 1
    I read with interest this post, because I have recently come to the conclusion that I am going to have to trade my beloved "Herbie" for similar reasons. My 99 NB has 10,500 miles on it, and I've had it in for a new ignitions switch, a broken passenger seat, broken plastic covers on seat tracks (dealer broke them fixing the seat), and now my A/C is not working properly and every time I shut my door the lock falls off the car on the outside. Every time I have to go to the dealer I end up coming back because they have to order parts which usually takes six weeks. Last summer I was without my Beetle for over two months until the new ignition switch came in! The dealership couldn't have cared less and Volkswagen's response was about the same.

I have decided to get rid of my Beetle despite the fact that I really love my car. I just can't afford more time off work and the hassle of taking my car in for petty little problems. I'm also concerned that the whole thing will explode one mile past 24,000.
  • Options
    sportygirlsportygirl Member Posts: 4
    Help! Has anyone else had problems with the ABS brake system? My car was fine and at about 3000 miles I made an emergency stop. The car stopped on a dime and I avoided an accident but about 10 minutes later my brakes made a groaning noise and the ABS light came on. This problem was repaired by replacing an engine speed sensor on the right front wheel. I picked the car up but before I even got out of the dealers parking lot it did it again. They replaced the same sensor again and adjusted a caliper. Now the brakes make this same noise for miles at a time but no light comes on. Then it stops. It only happens occasionally and I can't get it to occur when the service man is in my car. They say they can't diagnose it until they hear it themselves because the computer isn't picking up an error code. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did they fix it?
  • Options
    Ljam: Can't blame you...two months for an ignition switch is an outrage. After finding it was out of stock in a day, second day they should have taken one off the production line in Puebla and overnighted it to your dealer. Period. No excuse for running out of essential parts to keep the car going. VW could slow down the production lines for a couple of days and build up some parts stockage in the warehouses.

Agree VW has to do better on parts and service, or all these sales and customers will evaporate on them. My guess is that their German customers are getting better parts and service support on their NB's than VWOA is giving us.

I got my car back on Tues, 22 Aug, after 13 days waiting on the new sunroof track. Repairs were done fine, and dealer treated me well, but I believe I should have been driving my car while waiting for the part to come, not a rental Tracer. I'll let VW know what they could have done better when I get the followup customer survey from VWOA Detroit.

Chrismar: I still enjoy my '00 NB GLX. It's got 4300 miles now, and runs great. I certainly don't consider my car a lemon in any way. Just that with the great products and sales they have, VW ought to be doing better on support.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    After a 2 week vacation, my wifes cute yellow screamer is "dead". I can't figure where the drain is. My other car (suv) was fine, thank G.., since we needed this to get home from the airport. Any one have any ideas before i contact my dealer.
    I'm sorry you have had trouble, i had a horn problem, but my dealer has been great. Other than that, this car is wonderful....no other problems in 7k miles.
  • Options
    nofeer: I had the same problem like this on my Audi once...two week trip, dead at the airport. I checked the current drain at rest, and found it to be about 150 ma. (Meaning in about 300 hours, 45 amphours have been drained and your car won't turn over.) I pulled fuses until I found the culprit....the current drain dropped to about 10 ma (for the clock). I take it right to the dealer and have them check it out.

Also had a horn problem on my '00 GLX....was built in Jan 00. Maybe VW had a bad batch of horns? The dealer replaced both at the 5000 mile checkup and they work fine now.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    The securty system is always on maybe that's it. but you're right, i'll get to my dealer and check it out. I also had a horn problem, i thought my wife was nuts, till i drove and a car almost creamed me. 'Boy was my hands a flying trying to get that horn to work. I should have used my grandfathers approach...just open the window and yell.
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    The security alarm is always on on my Golf and I never have had a battery problem. Maybe your NB doesn't like being home alone and is chewing on the car's equivalent of your bedroom slippers!

carlady/host
  • Options
    edaly1edaly1 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are in the market for a new car and are considering the 2000 Beetle GLS. I have always wanted a Bug since I first began driving and financially the car is in our budget. However, we are planning to start a family in the next year or so and I wanted to know if anyone out there has transported a baby and baby car seat in their current Beetle. I have read of the car's excellent safety record, but I am still unsure of it's backseat capability. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
  • Options
    eetoreetor Member Posts: 10
    New Beetle Turbo and TDI reviews, prices, specs and pics at www.automotive-review.com - not to mention 911 and TT picture galleries and over 100 other reviews.
  • Options
    jwtaylorjrjwtaylorjr Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any information or insight on the Rsi? I believe it will be available this year.
  • Options
    christyhchristyh Member Posts: 1
    It's time to replace my 1989 Acura Legend and I wanted a VW Beetle (they're so cute and sentimental...My and my husband's first car was a 1961 Beetle 27 years ago.) However, the above comments do not sound very positive. "Cute" doesn't go very far if it's unreliable, and if service is bad. My second choice, which is rapidly becoming my first choice, is to head back to my Acura dealer. Can anybody say anything positive about their VW Beetle?? Also, has anyone had any experience with the purchasing of , or servicing of their VW in the Atlanta area? Thanks!
  • Options
    dwhitcombdwhitcomb Member Posts: 1
    I feel your pain.... ;) But my NB has been a dream from day one, three weeks ago today. I have 717 miles on it. 2000 GLS 5 speed Turbo, no options at all (no sunroof, mags or leather) That kept the price down MSRP $19,500. I paid $18,500. Stuart VW in South Florida. DarkBlue (Blueberry to me). This car is so smooth to drive. And all the standard features. WOW! I put in a cd player yesterday that I bought from Crutchfield online. $239 delivered with the VW wire harness adapter. It is the same Panasonic the dealer sells for $500 - $600. (Actually I got the 8 disk changer instead of the 6 disk model) And there is no work to install it. The wiring is already there. Just open the trunk, pop open the access panel on the drivers side, peel back the carpet (It is precut and marked for installation) and plug it in. I will bolt it in after I shorten the plate that came with the player so that it will be snug against the side.
    I pray my experience continues. I am half way done with a second coat of Zymol wax. First was done 2 days after I bought it.
    ~o/\o~ Punch Buggy Fever! \o/ Praise the Lord!
  • Options
    Are you using Zymols Carbon wax? Or are you using the Cleaner-Wax? You might also want to HD-Cleanse the car before you put on your second wax.

adg44@earthlink.net

- Anthony
  • Options
    phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    dwhitcomb,
    I would imagine the CD changer is controlled from the dash controls? Also, any problems with skipping?
    I am buying my wife a GLX NB (due to dealership in 2 weeks). Dealer said $695 for CD changer. Saw on the VW site that the Changer MSRP is $350, adapter is $30. So dealer wants $315 to install the chnger. No thanks!
    Thanks for any responses, Paul
  • Options
    car2nscar2ns Member Posts: 15
    Christyh,

I have 10,500 miles on my NB GLX. The only problems I had (and were covered under warrenty) were a defective leather seat cover on the drivers side (actually it was the vinyl section that was defective) and a speaker that was rattling. I purchased and have the car serviced at Dwight Harrison in Snellville.

I've heard good things about the dealer in Morrow and the two Jim Ellis dealerships. I know there are horror stories about the NB, but most folks have no problems at all. Even those that have problems love their car so much, they'd still buy one!

Good Luck with your decision.

============
    phkck,

Call the parts department and see how much the cd changer is there. Let your salesperson know you know how much it costs and to install it for free (this way it's covered under warrenty). $695 is too much.
  • Options
    giovanninigiovannini Member Posts: 1
    We have a NB 00 GLS w/ sun roof and CD. The CD changer cost about $400. So the dealer got some profit on it, but not too much.

Our horn didn't work either!! We were cut off and nearly hit before we even got the car home from the dealer. And then we had to wait for the horn parts to come in.

Now we're replacing the ignition switch and center rear taillight. We're waiting for parts but the car is still running.

On the other hand, we LOVE this car!

I'm not sure what to expect from a new car, I've never had one before. I certainly enjoy not paying for repairs. But then, I suppose that's part of why the car cost so much in the first place!

Anyway, I would buy it again. The problems so far aren't too bad, and the car is really fun.
  • Options
    phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Anyone out there have a VW extended warranty for a NB?
    Curious about coverage and cost.
  • Options
    jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    When I got my 99' NB in 9/99, me too was worried about the original 2 yr/24000mil warranty being short. Since I leased it for 3 years, I went ahead and extended my warranty to 3 yr/36000mil to cover the period of my lease. We got it through the dealer for $5 more per month. Roughly speaking, they are charging me almost $200 total (including tax), which did not seem out of line to me. And it give me the peace of mind during the lease period. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    shalimshalim Member Posts: 3
    Did anyone know when the new convertible Beetle available in US? Thanks
  • Options
    koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 37
    It should be here about 2001 or possibly 2002
  • Options
    shalimshalim Member Posts: 3
    Eventhough I just bought a new SUV 2000 Isuzu Rodeo LSE 4x4 Bright Silver a week ago from tomorrow, I am still planning to get the cutie bettles convertible. Can't wait !!!
    I just sold my 64 1/2 mustang convertible V8 last nite :(
    and also selling my 93 Mazda Miata LE convertible....
    Hmmmm...... time to get another convertible :)
  • Options
    We have the same problem with the sunroof sunshade like someone mentioned here before. It seems as if the sunshade broke or is off of the tracks, but you can't move it.
  • Options
    lbowinlbowin Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to purchase a 2001 Beetle automatic turbo and would like to know if any one notices their suspension needing to be changed? Overall do you like the car? Should I expect to pay about 22K or 22,500? I've never owned a VW so do not know much about their service records. Thanks!
  • Options
    sportygirlsportygirl Member Posts: 4
    Well....they finally fixed my ABS problem. I hope! They had never seen this problem before so they were not able to diagnose it with the code machine. My ABS would kick in randomly at low speeds but the ABS light wasn't going on. They ended up replacing the whole control unit for the ABS Brake system and I've driven a little over 100 miles and it seems to be ok. Just wanted to post the results since it was a rare problem. Now I'm happy in my little bug again. Also, for all the hassle I went through I got the CD changer at the vw.com price and the dealership didn't add their mark up and they did the labor for free. I really love the CD sound!!:o)
  • Options
    smkmsmkm Member Posts: 11
    a New Beetle GLS TDI.....are they available in California?? Anyone have any idea what I should be paying???

I do alot of driving....mileage with TDI is very attractive....performance chip can bump turbo up....to a european level of 140hp....

Feedback would be appreciated???
  • Options
    herbie_53herbie_53 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if the sound system is any good?
    I'm getting a 2001 GLS and know that the GLX comes with a moonsoon system...but i can't find any information anywhere stating what the GLS has or if it too has the Moonsoon system.
    Also any input to how good the sound system is?

Thanks