Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

Comments

• Options
    PeterunPeterun Member Posts: 83
    VW of America just returned all funds, including
    tax and plates on my 2000 GLX turbo (5 speed).
    Kept stalling when coming to a stop . . .was
    demonstrated repeatedly to shop foreman. Finally,
    after a week, problem was pronounced "cured." Two
    days later, stalling, with sharp rpm drops.
    Perhaps twice daily. 5 or six "almost stalls," as
    well. Finally, VW agreed to take the car back
    prodided that I sign a statement holding them
    harmless, without liability . . . and also
    acknowledging that their return of all funds to me
    was "a gesture of good will." I asked them what
    they would ultimately do with the vehicle. "We'll
    fix it, and auction it off." I guess they do not
    have to disclose the problem with the vehicle,
    since I signed that statement. Any ideas on this?
    Obviously, this has been a problem with this
    specific car, as they didn't even as much as argue
    with me. As a footnote, separately, they did in
    fact extend my warranty a full year and an
    additional 12,000 miles. This was put in writing,
    after they thought they had the car fixed. The car
    should be trashed, rather than auctioned. It is a
    safety hazard. Pete
  • Options
    cefurodcefurod Member Posts: 72
    Sounds like the beetle have encountered a lot of problems even as a 3rd year production car. There's even a topic here called "2000 beetle problems" (something like that).
    After 5 Parts to the Ford Focus topic, no owners have encountered serious or even medium engine or mechanical problems. When there was a problem, it was easily fixed at the dealer. Only big problem is dealers not being able to get parts if you need repair from an accident. But i also heard the same issues from VW. Focus is not a new production car as it has been in Europe for the past 2-3 years. Ask the Focus folks in the Focus topic.
  • Options
    dhkdhk Member Posts: 49
    Snowbird: Sounds like it could be lifter noise. Some new cars do use oil during break-in....assume you have checked the oil level. If it persists, I'd certainly take it to the dealer.
  • Options
    kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
    Take it to the dealer and let them hear it. I have a '00 GLX with no problems at 5700 miles.

I am usually listening to music, but I do turn it off now and then just for the silence and to see if anything may be acting up.

As for the Focus... I can't understand the comparison with the Beetle. The Focus is an appliance to get from one place to the other. The Beetle is an emotional attachment, a friend, really. Sometimes our friends act up and we have to set them straight. Appliances get tossed. (MHO).
  • Options
    I test drove the Focus before buying the NB GLX, and thought it was alot of car for the money. Was disappointed with the performance and engine noise, but other than that it seemed OK. The NB GLX I bought was nearly 50% higher price than the Focus ZTS, so really not a fair comparison. As for the appliance stigma, the NB is still basically a transportation appliance to me; not a friend. I may enjoy driving it more than the Focus, but it's still a machine that burns fossil fuel to take me places.(Yes, long ago, I did have a fling with an XKE, but I had to dump her; perhaps I can never love again.)
  • Options
    ib515ib515 Member Posts: 2
    There are many differences between FORD and VW. But the one major difference is that noone on the road says , "wow look at that focus." I've been smiling at people of all ages sexes and races in my 2000 Black on Black GLS with every available factory option. It's a people pleaser, and it especially pleases my wife and I. Would'nt drive another car!
  • Options
    bbbbeetlebbbbeetle Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Happy to join this discussion group. We just leased a 2000 TDI Beetle Automatic and are so happy with it. It was so hard to find this diesel bug in an automatic. I don't know why though, it's fantastic. Yellow seems to garner a lot of smiles and looks. Gas mileage is incredible for an automatic. Freeway driving is giving us between 38 and 45 mpg!

Any other happy TDI owners out there?

Happy bbbbeetle driving!!

John DC
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    I think of a smiley face every time I see a yellow NB. And then of course, I smile!

carlady/host
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    Just brought my 2000 NB TDI for its 5000 mile check up. Doctor says my baby is doing fine. I wouldn't trade it for 2 new Focuses (Foci?), unless I was really hard up for cash.

For my last tank, I squeezed out almost 49 mpg with winter diesel (mostly highway miles).

Welcome to the NB TDI club, bbbbeetle.

And finally, on Saturday I will be attending a very cool wedding. The whole wedding party has rented NBs. My silver is joining a parade of green, red, blue, white, and yellow, and another friend is bringing a late model orange convertible. I'll see what I can do about getting pictures.
  • Options
    tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    That's cute. I love the new beetle. I really loved my old beetle (71 canary yellow) and would have gotten the modern day version. But it was way out of my price range, and I went with the Focus ZX3. It's also a great car, and while it may not get quite as many admiring looks, it is still fresh, funky, and functional, without many wasted features "just for flash." I think of it as the REAL new "people's car," within reach of the "little people" like me. That's something VW forfeited with that high price tag.
  • Options
    wajacobswajacobs Member Posts: 1
    i heard rumors of a rag top? and no, i'm not referring to the full convertible.

is this for real or am i waiting for nothing? i'm about to trade in my saturn scII for a nb and would wait a couple of months if a rag top is a reality.
  • Options
    ftlftl Member Posts: 11
    We have a 2000 red GL and LOVE it except for a few pretty important things. The cup holders are not usfull at all. They are badly placed and too small for a fountain sized cups. The biggest complaint we have is that the drivers side mirror is placed too high and creates a severe blind spot. I would really love to buy a convertible when they come out but I won't if the mirrors are not moved.
  • Options
    hihopeshihopes Member Posts: 1
    I would very much like to buy a GLX Beetle (turbo). I currently have a 240 Volvo...safety has always been an issue for me (2 children)...older one will now take the 240 and go off to college.

I am struggling with my decision between buying a Volvo S40 or Beetle GLX. The practical side says "VOLVO" (Single Parent)...but...I really like the Beetle, but the car has to last hopefully for 10 years ...any thoughts from anyone out there on their new Beetle.

If well taken care of, how many miles can I expect to put on it before it dies?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
    Wajacobs,
    I haven't heard anything about a ragtop coming out for the New Beetle. I'm assuming you mean the old cloth sunroofs the old Beetles used to have. I have heard of a company that sells them, but can't remember where I saw the ad.

ftl,
    I don't have a big problem with the cupholders, they will usually hold a fast food medium cup. If I'm alone in the car the passenger cupholder seems a little more convenient to use. Also, there is a new product for drinkholders (www.drinkholders.com) that sells adjustable cupholders that attach to the door panel.

hihopes,
    I have a '00 GLX with automatic transmission. I think if you make sure all the maintenance is performed on time and let the car cool a little after driving hard, you should expect to get at least 100,000 miles out of it. It's a great car!

Kevin
  • Options
    meni1meni1 Member Posts: 2
    there is a very strong smell of sulphur around the
    car after parking the car ( from the exhaust)
    any one know what it is?
    meni
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    My guess would be that you bought fuel with a high sulfur content.
  • Options
    meni1meni1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response,
    my car is a GLX model
    and I can smell the strong sulphur scent even when I use different gas stations ( I use premium )
    at the dealer, they say that it is normal, but I fined it hard to believe
  • Options
    try NOT using premium? A lot of new engines actually work better without the extra octane.
  • Options
    emerckxemerckx Member Posts: 3
    Just had the 40,000 mile service performed on my 99 New Beetle TDI. The service included a timing belt- and tensioner change.The bill was $ 928.90.

If you're thinking about buying a New Beetle TDI, be advised that VW calls for a timing belt- and tensioner change every 40,000 miles on that engine. Given the $ 1,200 extra you pay for the Diesel option when I bought the car, and diesel fuel in the US costing about the same as gasoline, it makes absolutely no economic sense to buy a New Beetle TDI.

I enjoyed driving the car very much. But I've advertised it for sale. I never thought I'd say this, but I can't afford to drive a Diesel.
  • Options
    gotnadsgotnads Member Posts: 19
    I hate to tell you this but it sounds like your dealer ripped you off. I have checked with a VW dealer about the TDI timing belt and was told 60,000 miles and $225. I am buying a Golf TDI, and given the mileage, the test drive and the low maintenance cost I am looking forward to getting it. I would call other dealers and see what they charge, and if yours is way out of line I would pursue it with them. Good luck.
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    I was just wondering if any of you have had any problems with the 2.0L? My sister has a 2000 Beetle GLS and I think it's a great car. I drive a 2000 V6 Accord Coupe so I can notice the power difference, but I still like the car. I don't drive it too much since it's purple and I'm afraid of what people will think about me. I'm just curious as to how often you all change your oil and if you've had any major problems.

Thanks,

- Anthony
  • Options
    snowbird25snowbird25 Member Posts: 8
    What is up here???????

I used to really look forward to the postings here.......

Are we awake?????

Do we need some No-Doze, Prozak, or something....

Come on, lets get with it before they delete the "New Beetle" topic.

Thanks....

"A concerned Beetle Owner"
  • Options
    SnowB: Think alot of us bought our cars, and went over to the VW Vortex or BeetleBuzz sites. Wouldn't hurt to see a post or two here though, particularly for those considering the NB.

Regarding the question above about the 2.0L, I believe that's VW's most-proven engine. My son has a 91 Golf with the 1.8L, running strong with no oil consumption at 110K miles. Car is beginning to get ugly around the edges; appears the engine will outlast everything else.

VW specifies 10K mile/12 months oil change intervals on the 2.0L engine for '00 models. The 1.8T and TDI require oil change at 5K/6 months.

My car is now 3 months old, with 2400 miles. No problems at all to report. Mileage has been about 29 around town, 32-33 on my first big highway trip a couple of weeks ago.

Dan 00nbglx
  • Options
    As I read the '00 owners manual, the TDI requires only a check of the belt condition every 40K miles, not a change of the belt. I didn't see a change interval listed. I have trouble believing the belt would really be worn or cracked at that mileage interval, unless the TDI runs alot hotter or puts more load on the belt than the gas motors. Surely VW wouldn't design an economy engine that required a belt change each 40K?

For the 1.8T, the manual states a change at 105,000 miles is required.

Dan 00nbglx
  • Options
    Have you seen our Old Beetle v. New Beetle editorial feature? Take a look and tell us what you think. Which Bug Uber Alles?

carlady/host
  • Options
    mylesjmylesj Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 1.8T GLS, purchased in August of last year.(First one sold in Edmonton) I absolutely love it!
    It now has 16k on it, and has had a few minor glitches, nothing serious.
    It did, however, arrive sans spoiler indicator. The dealer actually replaced the whole instrument cluster for me, just to get the light.
    Are all '99 Turbos like this, or was mine just an oops?
    And what's with the horn? Why does the NB horn in the instructional video have the classic Beetle roadrunneresque "beep", while my horn sounds like any Chevy ever made? Some sort of strange Canadian regulation?
  • Options
    rooazrooaz Member Posts: 2
    I just became the proud owner of a 99 GLS Turbo. So fantastic this little car is and I bought it used, only 6 months old and 5,000 miles. It was already tricked out with carbon fiber dash and aluminum interior, special seat covers and phat wheels. My question is: where's the best place for after market toys?

Thanks

PS car say "hee hee"
  • Options
    I think I'll be able to help you out on this one, seeing as I drive a '00 EX V6 Accord Coupe that is modified. For you I'd first check out www.neuspeed.com. They'll pretty much have what you are looking for. But I know the Oettinger and Brabus and ABD make stuff for the beetle. I was just reading about the ABD Wide Body Beetle in my MaxPower magazine. I'll try to get some more web addresses for you, but I don't really deal with German tuners.

- Anthony

PS - I hope you still have that great Nissan!
  • Options
    kelliekittiekelliekittie Member Posts: 12
    i need a wee bit of help. i live in the austin tx area and i'm in the market for a new vw. it looks like the only place to buy one out here is charles maund on research. now, i took a little trip out there to see what they had in stock and to get a feel for the dealership and it's methods. the gentleman i chatted with with was a little rude and not at all that helpful. what's the deal?? has anyone else bought a new vw from these guys? did you have a good experience? i'm a first time buyer and the guy i talked to just turned me off. not to mention their vw's were way above msrp. i just need a little advice to put my mind at ease. i'm saving my downpayment now and i plan to go get the beautiful car in early june, but those fellows made me wonder. i don't want to get shafted on this one.
    thanks a bajillion:)
  • Options
    oopsy, that new vw i want is one of the new beetles if you couldn't geuss. also, if it matters, ol' charlie maund doesn't carry the gl just the gls. is this a usual thing. i haven't seen anyone chattering about the gl.
    okay, that's all i have to say, i promise.
    bye
  • Options
    mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    See post #28 in VW Passat - Part VII (Topic #3208). They recommend a San Antonio dealer (Ancira Volkswagen) and a specific salesman. It might be worth the trip.

--Mike
  • Options
    this place has got to be the a-1 fastest when it comes to response. thank you so much, mike.
  • Options
    lilysmile7lilysmile7 Member Posts: 2
    If you got to Hatchback topic 318, I have stated all the problems that I have had with my new Beetle. I am so unhappy and frustrated with it. I wrote a post somewhere else that is really long and i don't feel like doing it all over again, so I ask to please go and look at what I wrote

I do not recommend this car to anyone
  • Options
    wow, looks like your beetle was a complete and utter nightmare. if you don't mind saying, i'm curious about where you bought it (city and such).
    you don't have to say if you don't want to, but i'm sure the info will be priceless for people getting ready to buy the car. Knowing who exactly to avoid seems to be the first step in smart buying and sticking it to the idiots you dealt with. That's why i'm asking if anyone has dealt with the Charles Maund dealership here in austin. I'm seven kinds of interested in other people's experiences with these folks. They just seemed like they could give a damn less about little ol' me. Which made me wonder what happened to the days when car dealers would trip over themselves to make you a deal and sit you in the car. Back in the eighties, i went with my mom to buy a car and the salesman stopped short of champaigne and roses to convince my mom to buy. I mean, he was nice, kissed butt and everything. Enough pining over the lost era though. I thank mike for giving me the info on the dealership in san antonio, but i'm carless and "footin'" it right now and don't know anyone who feels like going to san antonio any time soon. So once more, as a come to a close on war and peace here, austin beetle owners unite! help me out! share your experiences please.
    thanks ;-)
  • Options
    lilysmile7lilysmile7 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Beetle at Palisades VW in West Nyack NY. So you don't have to worry because they are way far away from you : o ) Which is a good thing. I know what you are saying about how they used to treat you when you bought a new car. When I bought my Beetle they were so popular that people were fighting over them. Like when I was test driving it another couple were waiting to test it, and it was who made up their minds first. The salesman told me right out that he would'nt do anything about the price because if I did'nt buy it there would be someone else that would. But anyway....One positive thing I could say about the car is that I am very much attached to it as weird as it may seem. As much as I want to get rid of it a large part of me wants to keep it as well. It's got more character then any other car out there I have to say that at least :o )
  • Options
    wednesdaywednesday Member Posts: 1
    This may or may not be welcome advice, but I too live in the austin area. All I know is I've heard not too many good things about charles maund. since it's the only dealer in town, i'd probably look elsewhere. i don't own a VW (and after all i've read about parts falling off and lack of quality control, etc, i don't know if i would), but i've recently bought a new car. Number one--know the car and prices better than the salesperson. worked for me (salesman said he needed to go inside and look up the invoice price and extras. i told him not to bother and told him what they were while we were in the lot). also, very wise to look out of austin (i know you don't have a car). try a bigger market w/more dealers (houston maybe?). you may want to call around first (i did and got a much better deal in houston). just tell them what you want and ask what they can do for you to make it worth your while to go out of town. tell them you can get the car in austin or elsewhere for x-amount (but make it reasonable). then watch them scramble to get your business. if they tell you you need to come in before they talk price, thank them, hang up, and call the next one. i showed them i was serious by calling frequently over a week's time and pitting them against one another. what can you lose (besides the price of a long distance phone call)? good luck...but don't get it in austin. they're weenies.
  • Options
    thanks for your info, i really appreciate it, even though the chances of me being able to get to houston are few and far right now. I figure, well, if push comes to shove, and i absolutely have to go there, i'll have all the info possible on the car's price, performance, problems and their dealership's reputation....and trust me, i have no qualms about letting some sneaky salesman know that i know that they're a tad on the weenie side......I'm sure they'd be interested in knowing that their reputation is being cast out all over the internet too and their not fooling anybody. May not make much of difference right now, but if i buy a car from them and get the shaft i will poster the entire capitol of texas with details of their antics for years to come:)
    hell hath no fury compared to a car buyer who is scorned and determined.
    so, if anybody else has info, good and bad,please share. i need all the help i can get on this one.
    thanks oodles and oodles
  • Options
    There are several topics on good and bad dealers in our Smart Shopper conference. Why not use the Search feature on our left menu bar to find these topics of interest?

carlady/host
  • Options
    When I saw west Nyack on your message, I checked your user profile - and I believe I went to school with your brother Danny. Pearl River? Am I right? How funny! I live in VA now (have since 1984) and sometimes pine for news of the old hometown. Small world on the WWW.
    Sorry about your Beetle - and say hi to dan, (if this isn't a case of mistaken identity) -from Jamie May

to all others, sorry this is off topic, I'll hide it!
  • Options
    where in VA are ya?? I'm from good ol' Fairfax. No cows, only chickens.
  • Options
    bambam2bambam2 Member Posts: 7
    I bought my '00 GLS online through CarOrder.com in late February and got it for $900 under MSRP. (However, the last time I checked their price has gone up, to MSRP.)

It took awhile, about 3 weeks, but I had the car delivered straight to my work, and couldn't have been more pleased. I got the exact color and options I wanted at a great price, and after my bad experiences with dealerships who jerked me around, I can say that's no small feat. Actually, now that I think about it, CarOrder may not operate in Texas, so maybe you should try CarsDirect....when I checked them out in Feb. they were also selling the NB at MSRP.

If you purchase a car from either of those sites, be sure to register with Gomez.com first. They will send you a $100 rebate when you buy the car.

Good luck!
  • Options
    hey! Tidewater, I don't have a beetle though...unfortunately :(:)
  • Options
    Ha! Neither do I! I wouldn't really want one. The Beetle is my sisters. Nice and purple....
  • Options
    yellowbugyellowbug Member Posts: 7
    Owners of VW's and Audi's can go to
    http://tech.vw.com/ and get technical service
    bulletins, campaign circulars, and service
    circulars for free. I'd like to see all auto
    manufacturers make these available for free. As far as I know, VW-Audi is the only manufacturer that does this. All auto manufacturers have dozens, if not hundreds of TSB's for the models they build and I think they should all make this info. easily available.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these.
    You can download the viewer for free at
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html
  • Options
    ftlftl Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2000 gl beetle and it seems to me that the rpms are running high. Anyone else have this?
  • Options
    lbrosslbross Member Posts: 24
    Posted a few months ago, but haven't gotten a response from anyone. I'm looking for a center armrest kit for my '99 NB GLS. The dealers around Central CT all say that a kit is not available and that I would need to purchase parts individually - an expensive proposition. Has anyone heard of an OEM kit that is available?

By the way, with 8,500 miles I have had only minor problems - the driver's window switch broke which was replaced under warranty; a squeaky rear hatch which was adjusted; and broken signal light relay which was replaced. We are enjoying our NB, but will probably need something bigger soon to hold our growing children in the back.
  • Options
    The RPMs run high in the beetle because it has very short gears.
  • Options
    car2nscar2ns Member Posts: 15
    I have not heard of a kit to install an armrest in a NB that wasn't equiped with one. If you want factory, you'll have to pay the price.

However, there are a few companies that sell an armrest that is a cushion that wedges between the seatbacks and is removable.

Check out www.aiwana.com, www.neuspeed.com, www.landspeedusa.com and www.motorworks.com. They may have what you're looking for and a lot you're not!
  • Options
    lbross, if you haven't already done so, I suggest you visit our Aftermarket & Accessories conference. Why not use the Search feature on the left menu bar to see if a similar topic is already in progress?

carlady/host
  • Options
    satridersatrider Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to purchase/lease a New Beetle this summer. I live in the Atlanta area. Unfortunately I have to wait until my current lease is up in mid August to make a move. Has anyone heard any news about the supply of 2000 GL's. Is it possible that there won't be any left in August? Would I have to order one in advance? Has anyone heard about the 2001's and when they will be out? I know that's a lot of questions! Thanks in advance for any responses.