Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

Comments

• kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
    Katsbug,
    I live in the south, but the issue of bugs in the snow has been covered before. They do quite well. It is a front drive car, so it should handle just like all front drive cars. Also, since you are getting a GLX (I just got my dark blue last week), it has an anti-slip control that can be turned on or off with a button on the dash. This should help even more on the slippery stuff. :-)

Bwmail,
    My spoiler got stuck the other night, but the next day, I hit the switch and it came down okay. I hope it's just a fluke!

Happy Motoring!
  • wleongwleong Member Posts: 6
    I've just got my 2000 silver Beetle GLX (at MSRP!) and noticed that the indicator does not come on when cruise control is switched on either. I checked with my friend who has a 98 TDI, he hasn't seen the cruise control light on his either.
    I noticed that if you switch on the spoiler (while the car is stationary, it comes down automatically when you start driving the car.
  • keh3keh3 Member Posts: 1
    I also just got a 2000 NB, and noticed that the cruise control light doesn't come on, though the cruise control does work. I just figured it was a fuse problem or something, and planned on mentioning it when I go in for the 5000 mile checkup.
  • zyberzyber Member Posts: 5
    Hey, I been reading through the various notes here and don't want to get too much off topic here but I wanted to know a little more about the spoiler on either the GLS or GLX models. There was mention in previous postings that the spoiler might get stuck sometimes. My question is, is it possible to keep it up? It's really not practical to begin with but, man, it sure looks good. I'd rather keep it up permanently. If so, would this screw anything up? Like, could you open the trunk?
  • zyberzyber Member Posts: 5
    Please disregard my last post. It's a dumb question. The spoiler does NOT interfere with the trunk cause it's attached to the trunk, duh.

However, I'm still curious about the spoiler on the GLS or GLX 2000 models. Is it possible to keep it permanently up? One dealership quoted me $575 to make it stay up. Ideas anyone?
  • zderfzderf Member Posts: 44
    It has been my expereince that the computer logic used to control the spoiler automatically precludes one from keeping the spoiler deployed. It is designed to deploy at about 90MPH, then retract once the speed drops back under 73MPH.

The hidden switch under the dash will deploy it, but once the speed sensor picks-up the fact that you are under the 73MPH limit, the system automatically retracts it. About all you can hope for, is that it will stay up if you deploy it then shut the engine off. Why the switch, who knows....

The work-around could be costly. This car is totally computer controlled, including the fly-by-wire throttle (no cables or levers).

I'm waiting for our 2000 GLX replacement for our 99 which had chronic computer problems (throttle related).

Since you can't see the spoiler when driving... I'd pretend its up!!!!
  • gabonzuggabonzug Member Posts: 2
    This is an email from the nice folks at greedspeed.com, in Thousand Oaks, CA... (I had asked about the Audi and VW chips for the 1.8 Turbo)

"The Beetle runs a new version of the Motronic operating system, so the chip is different. We are diligently working on a new chip. It should be ready for the Beetle 1.8T in about 1 month. Peformance will be about 195HP and 210 ft/lb of
    torque."

Wow, a 45 horsepower boost from a $300 chip... I wonder about the effects of using the chip for boosting the turbo pressure as far as reliability goes, but that certainly makes things interesting. I'd like to see performance numbers when they're released.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    So, zyder, you've got your answer. Don't ever drive slower than 73mph! Hmmm, maybe that's not very practical.

You may wish to take a look in our Maintenance & Repair conference. To search for a similar topic, use the Search feature on the left menu bar. And please, let us know what you find out.

carlady/host
    zyder, who's that? I'm sorry, zderf, for mangling your name.

carlady/host
  • hrpreohrpreo Member Posts: 8
    I need the URL or address for information on lens protectors for NB GLS. Thanks!!

Our NB GLS YELLOW TDI arrives in two weeks!! We bought for sticker in WI. My wife can't wait for its arrival!!

REO
  • isabelle1isabelle1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry, but I'm new...I'd love any feedback on
    how the NB handles in the snow and why. I'm in the market for a 2000 2.0 GLS.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Like most front wheel drive cars, the NB will be just fine in the snow. We've had our '99 NB since last December here in Denver and we've had no problems. My wife drives about 20 miles one way to work and not once has she reported a problem with the way it handles.

Hope that helps.
  • archwingarchwing Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I'd like some feedback on how the turbo beetle handles on highways. My father seems to think that since it's a small car, it will be unstable on highways with semis whooshing past and such. I tried to show him that the beetle's dimensions and weight are close to our camry's, but I'd like some feedback from real driving too. Why is everyone against my wanting a beetle? Sigh.
    I've had my turbo for two weeks now. I haven't done a lot of highway miles yet, but I find the car very stable (and with the turbo, those semis don't have to pass you :-)) I've just past the 500 mile mark this weekend. The ride is very smooth and quiet. I do wish the power came on earlier in the rev band though (If you floor it from a stop, it doesn't seem to take off as well as part throttle, go figure). Of course, it is a drive-by-wire throttle and I have an automatic.

If you can afford it, but it! You won't regret it.
    What I meant about the drive-by-wire, was that maybe flooring the car from a stop, the throttle won't open up like a 'normal' car would for best acceleration. I'll be asking the dealer about it.

I also meant to BUY it in my post above. Sorry.
    TVA sells fog light grills for the NB (plus a lot of other things). Go to www.aiwana.com. Randy Carlson is the owner and has a very good reputation in the Beetle world. I am planning on purchasing some things from him soon.
    I haven't test driven it yet, but I sat in one at the dealer, and couldn't see past the long long dashboard (i'm 5'6"). i'd like to know of any short people who have beetles, is it a problem when driving? it did seem a bit awkward being so far away from the windshield. There seem to be a lot of posts of how great the car is for tall people, I'd like to know how it is for short people too.
    archwing, I'm 5'0" and when checking out the New Beetle, I did feel uncomfortable with long dash. I've heard from others, though, that after 2-3 days of driving, one is used to it. Lurkers, what have you experienced?

carlady/host
  • ejsejs Member Posts: 36
    I don't drive a Beetle, and I'm not short, but in my GTI I can adjust the seat height by pumping the lever on the right. I'm sure the Beetle has the same thing. Pump the seat up all the way (by pulling the lever up repeatedly) and perhaps you'll see better and feel better.

If I can just paraphrase a little from the manual regarding this issue... Your seat should be as far back as possible while still being able to reach the wheel with your elbows slightly bent and push the pedals down all the way with your knees still slightly bent. However, you should always have at least ten inches between you and the steering wheel (so the airbag has room to inflate without breaking your face). If you find you can't do both simultaneously, you need pedal extensions.

And remember, the steering wheel tilts and telescopes, so you can adjust it to anywhere it needs to be. There's a lever on the bottom of the shaft-- pull it down and you'll be able to move the wheel up, down, in or out. When it's perfect snap the lever back up and it locks into place.

VWs are so adjustable I bet anyone can get comfortable in one! Good luck!
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    ...on this one. My wife is 5' 2" and has no problems driving her NB with the seat all the way up and the steering wheel adjusted correctly. She never had a problem with the windshield being so far away but it did take a few days to become accustomed to the large A-pillars being in the line of vision. Goes away after a while -- you just get used to it.
    Thanks for all your responses, I really dig this car. Anyway, one more little question: I can't afford leather, and was wondering what's with this leatherette option? Is it better than cloth? Is it different than normal vinyl? Thanks.
  • ejsejs Member Posts: 36
    ...on a topic I have little personal experience in.

I believe leatherette is just vinyl with lots of little holes. I personally would go with cloth. I hate the vinyl smell, and the "cold-in-the-winter, hot-in-the-summer" factor that makes people decide against leather seems to be in effect without the mitigating factor of leather's richness, smoothness, suppleness and all-around tactile superiority. (I have leather in my VW.)

I used to get carsick as a child, and I figured out it had nothing to do with motion sickness-- it was just the stench of hot vinyl.
  • karnesjmkarnesjm Member Posts: 15
    I've read in detail the woes that zderf had with a '99 GLX (1.8T). Are there any 1.8T owners that would briefly express their experiences.
    We test drove 5 speed 2.0L gas & 1.8T NBs back to back and it seems like a "no-brainer". The 1.8T performed better, is smoother, and quieter. Still, is zderf an isolated case? Thks! :)
  • copelandukcopelanduk Member Posts: 14
    So far no cruise light, but everything else is really great. I have taken the car out on the highway a few times. I have been gentle as I am clearly still breaking it in, but I have found the car to be very stable at (legal) highway speeds.

I am 6 foot and I found the long dash weird at first, but after your first couple drives it becomes natural.

And Archwing, with the 1.8t you'll be doing all the 'whooshing'. As for your interior, I might consider the leatherette. I was looking for (and found) a silver glx with black leather, in my search I saw many leatherette cars and the ones with black vinyl looked great. I think black leather/ette looks best in the silver. You should check out some examples, you may not have much of a choice in your area. But go for the car, it's safe fast and fun. Way too much fun.
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    As far as the chip upgrade goes, there shouldnt be much of a problem with reliability as VW/Audi has taken the engine up to 185 HP in other applications (And I think theyre taking it up to 235 with an upgraded turbo in some other application that isnt out yet) Of course it would void your warranty, which is always kind of scary, but you got to play to play. As far as performance goes I heard the 235 HP upgrade with the KO4 turbo runs 0-60 in 6.1, but not sure if that was on stock tires or not. Theres a company (cant remember the name) selling the KO4 and the computer reprogamming for 1900 bucks. Throw in 5 or 6 hundred for exhaust and intake and youre looking at over 250 HP. Sounds like a good idea to me. Damn that 10 year 100000 mile warranty.
    Karnesjm;

I'll try to address you question in the event we don't hear much back on this topic.

I am quite sure that our 99 GLX was a fluke. It still (today) has VW stumped, and is reportedly the only car on record with these problems. They are about replace the entire wring harness (YIKES!!), and the VW tech's here to do are not anxious about that daunting task.

If this was a wide-spread problem, there would have been a major recall by now... it is safety related. I reported the situation and details to NHSA, who have no other reprots at this time.

We're taking the risk that this was an isolated case, and will try again wiht a 2000 GLX.

I'll watch with interest here to see if any other GLS turbos or GLX (turbo is standard) owners report chronic relaibility issues.

Good Luck,

Zderf
  • elainebearelainebear Member Posts: 17
    My sister has a new beetle and has black leatherette... it is great!!! It is better than some leather out there and I could hardly tell the difference. I like it better than cloth because it is easier to clean and there is no funny "vinyl" smell like someone mentioned. THe reason for the holes is so that it can breathe... I say sit on both and see which you like best.
    zderf- thanks for your repsonse. Has VW taken care of you ( i.e. : provided you an auto to drive)? We sold the old sled, and a 2000 NB is in our future. We test drove Nissans and Hondas and know they are historically reliable cars for the masses- Fun to drive? NOT!
    Would you buy another 1.8T, or 2.0L?
    We took delivery on a 2000 1.8T, and like several previous postings, the cruise control indicator dash light does not function. Has anyone had this problem sucessfully repaired? If so, what repair was made - Thks! :)
    I went to my dealer to pick up some floor mats and asked about the lack of light when cruise is activated. I was told this was normal (which may be the case given that so many nb 1.8t's have the same situation) even though there is a word 'cruise' on the instrument cluster that looks like it should light up. It would be nice if it did light up but I think we have to ask VWofNA for the details.
    Karnesjm:

I see you picker your NB up. Congratulations.

To answer, yes the VW dealership has provided a loaner Subaru (he he). Will be buy another GLX? Yes the replacement is on order, due in about 90 daze.

At issue, it the fact of what we have been thru just to get back to the first square and order another car. I have a letter in with the President of VW of America asking him to have a look at our contribution towards simply trying to own a VW like the one in the brochure.

No feedback as yet.. I suspect one of his aides snatched the letter.. and may not want the emperor to know he doesn't have any clothes on.

Good luck with yur new 1.8T. Feel free to keep me posted with your experience.

Thanks and best regards....
    I contacted my dealer concerning the cruise indicaiton light not functioning on our 1.8t. They contacted VWOA and did get a written response back dated Oct.15,1999 acknowledging the issue. The owners manual mistakenly makes reference to the light and their is in fact a "CRUISE" location in the instrument cluster, BUT it is NOT operable in the 2000 Model Year NB, nor can it be made operable. It will be on the 2001 models. A bummer that the light does not work, but it does mean that our NB was delivered with no problems! :)
    Glad to have this resolved.
  • sirfelixsirfelix Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of buying a 2000 VW Beetle but when I went to test drive the car I noticed that the left most cupholder sticks out beyond the console and into my leg. It was very uncomfortable to drive with my leg leaning against the console in an otherwise very comfortable car. If I buy this car can I remove that one cupholder? It appears that the cupholder is not part of the console molding. Could there be a way of removing it without taking out the whole console. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thx
    rv4daj@yahoo.com
  • govugovu Member Posts: 62
    What a great car.

Anyone want me to run any errands? I'm running out of my own...
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    The cupholders in the front of the console are easily removed, just a quarter turn to the left and they pop out. I've gotta say that is the only design flaw in the whole car, those cup holders are all but useless. As far as the cruise light goes it is a similar situation to the center arm rest in the 99 GLS. The arm rest was part of the GLS package but was not installed in the 99's until half way through the year. I bought my 2.0 GLS 5 speed last January and have had zero problems with it.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    I plan on buying a new beetle within the next month, and it will have to have a cd player. I know the VW dealers will install a 6-disk CD changer, mounted in the trunk. Have you had good results with the dealer-installed changer? How much are dealers charging for this? Has anyone identified an aftermarket changer that works perfectly with the Beetle head unit? (In other words, which audio company makes the unit for VW?) I appreciate the help.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    In Edmunds new car section, many "options" are indicated to be dealer-installed, such as mud guards, cd changer, etc. Has anyone found any online parts retailers who sell OEM VW parts at a discount. I have a honda and know of several places online to buy Honda parts at discount, but not VW. Can anyone help?
    I understand that 2000 NB's now being produced will have the CD changer factory installed.

The one I had dealer installed in my 99 GLX took only a few minutes and worked just Fine. All 98 and 99 NB's were factory set up for the changer.
  • katsbugkatsbug Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the 2000's do have the option of factory installed CD changers, though it is _not_ standard. I was lucky to get my NB w/ a factory changer for about $225, my dealer was charging $600+. I don't think so!

btw- if anyone is looking for extra changer cartridges, vw.com's online store has them for the lowest price around. About $30, if I remember correctly. Could even be lower!
  • khamronkhamron Member Posts: 2
    Four weeks ago, my 99 5-sp 2.0 became a hood ornament on a 94 Volvo sedan which forgot to stop at a red light. I was t-boned just behind the front passenger tire at about 35-40 mph. Thankfully it was the strongest part of the car and no one suffered any injuries.

The driver of the Volvo was "just talking" to her kids and didn't realize she was running the red light. I joke and tell others the moral to the story is: "Don't talk to your kids!"

Here's the verdict: Volvo tank was totaled. 99 NB sustained body damage to the right front fender and passenger door. Frame was perfect! (Driver's side tolerances and gaps were unchanged.) Right front suspension needed to be replaced as the poor tire was laying almost horizontal after the impact. NB wins!

Epilogue: I'm about a week to week-and-a-half away from getting my baby (of ~7,000 miles) back. I've been going through withdrawals--even with the Jetta rental from the dealership. It just isn't the same! The Volvo's battery exploded and slopped acid all over the finish and the whole car will be repainted. Ugh!

I told people I purchased the NB because of it's wonderful safety record (sounds logical). I really purchased it because it's a VERY cool ride. Now I'm more than glad it held to its reputation of being the safest compact, period.

Beware of jealous autos looking for hood ornaments! Drive safely all.
    khamron,

Wow! I'm glad no one was hurt (I didn't say no 'body'). Sorry about your car, but I think all of us will feel even more safe driving our babies now. I'm glad you will be getting it back soon.

VW does it again!
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    All,

There are a ton of places to get parts for VW's, you can search the web or buy one of the many VW magazines at the supermarket and look at the parts/ accessories ads.
    I bought the CD changer with my car (dealer installed) for $350 although the dealer sets the price. When you have the dealer install it as part of the sale, the changer is under warranty for 3 years like the rest of the car. I you add it later I think it's warranty is 3 months. They are made by pioneer. If you are a VW club member you get a 20% discount on parts and accessories, I think the changer is $295 from VW then minus 20% if you belong to the club. Lots of other benefits to club membership - I recommend it.
  • cookwcookw Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone upgraded their NB speakers? I am guessing that the rear speakers are co-axial, but what about the front? Since the front has the separate tweeters up by the windshield, I was wondering if the front door speakers contain the crossover to the separate tweeters. I would like to order coaxials for the front, but it would be a waste of money if the higher frequencies are pre-routed to the tweeters.
    Thanks for any help!
  • jtaimjtaim Member Posts: 34
    If the NB's speakers are like the ones in the current Passat, and I'm pretty sure they are, then it will be very easy to disconnect the tweeters once you have the inside door panel off. I replaced the front speakers in my Passat with Coaxials and I'm much happier with the sound. What was VW thinking putting the tweeters so far from the mid-woofer. That's terrible for imaging.
  • cathlyncathlyn Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to thank everyone for helping me make my decision on my Bug! Especially to kjaurelio. Thanks for your input about the Dealer (Dwight Harrison in Snellville, GA). Bought my 2000 Green Bug GLS 2.0 today for $400 under MSRP & I LOVE IT! I was in and out in under 2 hours. Very happy experience with the same salesman. He even put daisies in the flower holder! I'm a happy girl! Thanks, Edmunds.com! I couldn't have done it without you! :-)
    Congratulations Cathlyn!
    It's nice to know my input could help someone with a decision. Another Driver found!

If you are ever in the Dacula/Lawrenceville area (I work at Gwinnett Medical Center) and see a Dark Blue Beetle, don't forget to wave! (I have only gotten two 'wave-backs' in over a month of ownership.)

kjaurelio
  • cathlyncathlyn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! If I see you, I'll definitely wave! You know what color mine is, I'm near Gwinnett Place Mall, so wave back, too. Went to the garage to say Hi! to it this morning! Can't wait to get my work done to go drive it again! Wheeeeee! :-)
    Congratulations, cathlyn! I love happy car owners!! And I think the dealer's daisy was a very nice touch.

carlady/host
  • govugovu Member Posts: 62
    So far so good. It's been below freezing the last few mornings, and I have yet to even wait for the glow plugs on my TDI.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that when it is cold, even though I have been listening to my CD changer when I shut the car off, it switches to the radio when I start back up. This didn't happen before. Anyone else seen this?