Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

Comments

• Options
    phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    I read that the monsoon system will be on Beetles produced from week 41 and on. (The GLX that is).
    So as far as I know, they are not state side yet.
    Our 2001 GLX comes in this week and will not have the updated stereo or self-dimming rear view mirror. And I guess it will not have speed sensitive wipers.
    FWIW Paul
    Also check Bettlebuzz.com, they seem to have a lot of good info!
  • Options
    bug4pegbug4peg Member Posts: 15
    LBOWIN: I have a '00 GLS Turbo Automatic - with the sunroof and I paid just over 22 for it. Sticker basically. I don't know if they are coming down on the Turbo prices, rarely do I see one on the road. But it is a GREAT, fast, fun car to drive. I love it!

PHKCK: I bought the turbo (I've never had a turbo engine before) so I bought the 100k warranty. It only ran me $1200 I believe. Pretty cheap if you ask me ... I'm sure after 2 repairs it will have more than paid for itself, and I've always found extended warranties to be worth it if you plan on having the car for a long time.
  • Options
    Wondering what your deductible is for the 100K?
    Baron VW in KC says there is not a 100K warranty available thru VW with a zero deductible.
    And yes, sticker for the Turbos. Room to negotiate on the 2.0's.
  • Options
    dhkdhk Member Posts: 49
    adg44: I'm the guy that had the same sliding shade problem. VW has a Tech Bulletin on this; and the new plastic clips are stronger. On my car, apparently the metal tracks in the frame were damaged, so they had to replace the frame. Everything works fine now, but dealer had my car for 13 days until a new frame arrived.

smkm: TDI hasn't been sold in CA due to failure to meet CARB requirements. I considered, and test drove one before buying my 1.8T NB. But since they really don't save you money, I went for the turbo gas. 0-60 in 7.4 vs 11.4 secs makes it a whole different car, IMO. Consider the extra cost of the TDI over the base 2.0L engine, as well the maintenance requirements on the TDI...the required timing belt change every 40,000 at $500 will eat any potential fuel economy savings, at least here in the US.
  • Options
    terrenzkterrenzk Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2001 Beetle GLX, but have been turned off by the consumer report ratings and all the negatives concerning reliability. Chrismar- have you had any problems with your new beetle?
    Has anyone recently acquired the 2001 and /or know about their predicted reliability. I really love the car and want to buy one but I will not risk the reliability issues.
  • Options
    Bought our 2001 GLX on Friday. I was concerned about reliability so went with the Platinum Extended Warranty.
    Fit and finish seem very good (Less than a week old). Sure is a fun little car!
    Best of luck in your decision.
    I do know the strike is over and the workers got a lot of the things they were looking for. (Hoping that means happy workers).
    Also, 2001's should have new features before too long. A new self dimming rear view mirror, Monsoon stereo (GLX), speed sensitive wipers to name a few. May be worth waiting a month or 2.
  • Options
    showdogsshowdogs Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 Beetle - love the car - but having trouble with the paint job - so far has been at the dealership longer than it has been home. Anyone else having trouble with the paint? I purchased a silver Beetle with sunroof - CD changer at dealership was $350.00 - sounds great.
  • Options
    chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    So far everything has been absolutely WONDERFUL!!!
    No problems what so ever! I have 2100 miles on it and I've had it for a little over a month! I'm having alot of fun--stares, compliments etc etc.
    I love it!
    Have you gotten to test drive one yet? If you decide to keep me posted ok :)

ChrisMar
    2001 CyberGreen GLX 1.8T
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Does anyone else have the problem where the drivers window goes down further than the passenger window? Is this a problem, or is it normal?
  • Options
    beetledogbeetledog Member Posts: 4
    I took delivery of my 2001 New Beetle on 9-30-00 and so far everything is going well. Mine is a GLX automatic in techno blue. I was really amazed at the power! Does anyone change their oil before the 5,000 mi. recommended by the factory? I changed mine at 600 mi. the first time and plan to go to the 5,000 mi. schedule. Just couldn't go the full 5,000 the first time. Has anyone tried a performance computer chip in the turbo? I would like to know if it really works.
  • Options
    car2nscar2ns Member Posts: 15
    beetledog,

Here are some other web sites that are more active and can answer your questions about oil, "chipping", etc. My favorites are www.beetlebuzz.com and www.newbeetle.org for the friendly atmosphere. Another one I visit is www.vwvortex.com, the folks there are more intense and sometimes rude, but a lot of info can be found there too.

I have a '00 GLX (dark blue, cream interior). After 11,000 miles I'm still smiling!
  • Options
    Was told by our dealership that we should not change our oil before 5000 miles as there is a special break in oil that VW put in. Plan to switch to syntetic for our GLX at 5K miles though.
    Like our Turbo stock, don't want to chance voiding extended warranty.
    Glad you are enjoying your NB.
  • Options
    We bought our 01 Silver GLX from Baron VW in Kansas City. We have been mostly satisfied with the treatment we have received. We did pay MSRP, but no Turbos were to be found in town.
    They spent 1 1/2 hours going over the car, manual, warranty etc.
    And as a surprise sent a dozen roses a couple weeks after the sale.
    They did try to overcharge for a few items. They quoted $695 for a CD changer. When they gave me the accessory catalog, price was cheaper. Called their parts department and go the CD changer for $545 installed. Still a lot of money but wanted to be done with it.
    Also, they wanted to charge $40 for an additional 6 CD disc holder. Ordered for $29 on the internet.
    Sorry so long, just thought this site could use a post.
  • Options
    snowbird25snowbird25 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2000 GLS Turbo Beetle in "Bright Blue" and have purchased the front and rear "Blue" VW emblems that originally go on the German VW Bug's.

The front one on the hood was a piece of cake to install...I just pulled off the old one (double sided tape) and stuck on the new blue one.

My problem is with removing the old one on the trunk. The only part that you replace is the part that turns to expose the lift up handle. I have removed the inside trunk liner to gain access to the underside of it and even removed every darn screw that I could find around it (Regular phillips and Torx type). But I still could not get the blasted thing to budge. I have seen them on other cars but have never been able to stop anyone to ask them how they got the old one off.....Please give me some help if you can.

Many Thanks.................Doug
  • Options
    Well, my mom was driving our purple 00 Beetle GLS today, and ran over a "small" rock which busted the oil pan, caused the engine oil to depressurize, all the oil leaked out, and the engine then stalled. This was all within about 200 feet of running over the rock. Well, when we had the car towed to Stohlmans' VW in tysons corner VA, it turns out that from the impact of the rock, one of the bushings on the piston rod which connects to the crankshaft is broken. Now, either that caused the engine to stall, or when all the oil leaked out, the viscosity between the piston and the cylinder block broke down, causing the piston to rub against the block, which would cause the block to crack. If the block is cracked, it's new engine time. If it's just the piston rod and the crankshaft that needs to be rebuilt, it shouldn't be too bad. Let's hope for the last one.

I know that I've heard some other people have problems with the oil pan getting busted because it sits so low to the ground. Note to all VW owners, be careful when going over "small" object in the road. They probably aren't as small as one would think.

- Anthony
  • Options
    chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    I haven't seen a Purple New Beetle?! Or is it Dark Blue?
  • Options
    danchowdanchow Member Posts: 1
    The Monsoon System is not a standard item for the 2001 GLX as reported by Edmunds and Beetlebuzz.com
    It is a additonal option for $325.00 (RSM)
    Just like the 17" wheels are for $400.00 (PSA)

Dan
  • Options
    rcwadercwade Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my Silver GLS 1.8t for under MSRP I head that this is hard to do. Price was 20k even for 1.8t with luxury package. They are the #3 dealer in the US and said they would do that price for anyone. The dealer is in Texas if anyone is interested Feel free to email me! I can get similar pricing on all other beetles. They will trade with other dealers, and ordering is not a problem. Hope this helps.

SilverBeetle@redpepper.cc
  • Options
    rcwadercwade Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my Silver GLS 1.8t for under MSRP I head that this is hard to do. Price was 20k even for 1.8t with luxury package. They are the #3 dealer in the US and said they would do that price for anyone. The dealer is in Texas if anyone is interested Feel free to email me! I can get similar pricing on all other beetles. They will trade with other dealers, and ordering is not a problem. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    lbrosslbross Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone seen the 2001s with the larger mirrors? From the pictures i've seen, they're a huge improvement over the size and placement of the old ones! Wonder if the new ones can be retrofitted on my '99.
  • Options
    I know of someone else that was looking into it. VW changed the location of the top door hinge (the biggest obstacle), and the cost for the parts was something like $1400.00 without painting the parts.

Needless to say, you'd probably be better off trading in and save a headache if you want the new mirrors. :)
  • Options
    deadbeetledeadbeetle Member Posts: 3
    Worst nightmare of my life! Good luck to those of
    you have horrific problems like myself. VOA will
    not do anything unless your car meets the EXACT
    letter of the Lemon Law. In brief your car needs
    to go in four times for the same thing or 30 days
    out of service. My car meets 15 days out of
    service and in three times for the same thing.
    Let me list the ways . . .
    1. Comfort control module on the circuit board was
    burned and melted which shorted the battery - this
    was the final straw for me leaving me stranded in
    a bad part of town on a Friday night.
    2. Warped door panel
    3. Drivers door was installed incorrectly causing
    a loud vibrating noise. Once this was fixed I was
    told due to the large door and the weight of it I
    would need to come in periodically to have it
    tightened.
    4. Fuel system gauge was not properly calibrated
    5. Right front turn signal replaced due to
    moisture build up
    6. Vibration in car when window open/cracked
    7. Window off track
    8. Rear hatch would not open from the inside
    9. Brake lights on all the time-they had to
    readjust the switch and replace if it happened
    again
    10. Drivers side window switch replaced
    11. Passenger seat lever would not not allow seat
    to tilt
    12. Replacement of dashboard-I was told they are
    faulty.
    13. When the nose of the car is parked down hill
    about a 6-7% grade or less it will not start. It
    has to be rolled to level ground then it will
    start. The dealer has never been able to duplicate
    this and therefore will not check anything out or
    replace anything. This happens quite often.
    14. Sluggish going from reverse to drive and vise
    versa
    15. When going from drive to reverse sometimes it
    will not go into reverse. You have to shift to
    park then reverse.

I have read almost all of everyones complaints and
    I see some definate similarities. A previous
    gentleman wrote that if everyone would please call
    VOA or write them then maybe they would start
    paying more attention to everyones problems. I
    will say that I have now gotten rid of this
    nightmarish car and got back into a Honda Civic and
    am much happier now. I sold my 1995 Civic with
    44K miles and paid off to get this darn beetle -
    stupid me, but a mistake I will never make again!
    Also, due to the treatment we received at our
    dealer ship and VOA my boyfriend who is a 6 time VW
    owner will never buy VW again. I've never been
    treated such a lack of respect. The dealer is
    Roseville VW-never buy from them, never buy a VW!
  • Options
    Well, after about 3 weeks of the dealer having the beetle to replace the engine and the front subframe, we finally got it back. I'm starting to get the feeling that this car isn't a car that's going to "last" for a very long time. It's nice, not to expensive, and "cute" (Not by my tastes, but it's not my car).
  • Options
    dasteph94dasteph94 Member Posts: 20
    I have to agree with those of you who
    talked about VOA and VW dealers lack of
    respect--they are the most arrogant car
    company I have ever encountered--think carefully,
    consumers, before you deal with them!
  • Options
    ktyldyktyldy Member Posts: 2
    I was seriously considering the GLX 1.8 Turbo but now am having doubts big time especially since the last few posts on problems with it ~ my other possible is the PT Cruiser ~ not sure I want to ck that one out after doing so on the Bug...hopefully I won't find so many problems there and at least there is a local dealer which I don't have with the Bug ~ nearest is 50 miles away which is a pain...
  • Options
    karnesjmkarnesjm Member Posts: 15
    Just wanted to post an update on our 2000 New Beetle 1.8t GLX. Just completed the 15K mile service. Our dealership experience with Al Johnson Volvo/VW in Dalton GA has been wonderful. No wonder they are a repeat customer satisfaction service winning dealership. About the NB: the ONLY problem experienced was with a temp sensor that was diagnosed and replaced in 15 minutes. Avg. 31 MPG (60% interstate/40%city). Running Mobil 1 5W30 oil with zero consumption between 5K service intervals. The performance is now better than new (broken in?) What a blast to drive! No squeaks, rattles or shakes. We would buy again from Al Johnson VW without hesitation. :)
  • Options
    Glad you are enjoying your GLX. We have just crossed 1000 miles in our 2001 GLX. It's my wifes second car, so I sneak it out when I can.
    Question: Was your 15K service covered as part of the free maintenance (2yr/24k)?
    The Autoweek long term update said that their 15 K service was not covered but that their clutch replacement was cover? Does not make a whole lot of sense to me.
    Our dealer (Baron VW) has also been great here in KCK. Best we had ever been treated.
  • Options
    I forgot. If you want to hear from other NewBeetle owners, check out www.newbeetle.org - it's a great bunch of folks, lots of input every day.
  • Options
    The only problem I had with my '00 GLX (13,000 miles) was on the drivers seat where by butt would hit the seat. The vinyl on the side of the seat wore out in no time, but since it was replaced, I haven't had any problem.

My dealer doesn't cover the 15k check-up, so they aren't seeing me. VW recommends 10k miles between oil changes for the turbo engine, but I'm going to do it every 5k.

I like the looks of the PT Cruiser, but the safety and reliability issues keep me from actually looking at them.
  • Options
    In the owner's manual there is a maintenance schedule exclusive to the 1.8t. It clearly has oil and filter change intervals at every 5k miles. Yes, my dealer performed this service at NO COST @ 5k, 10k & 15k. They only recommend synthetic engine oil for the TDI, so I buy my own Mobil 1 5W30 for the dealer to use. About the PT Cruiser: we test drove a "loaded" version with an automatic trans: What a lame wheezer! Our NB 1.8T is a 5 speed & the performance is in another league. 0-60 in 7.1 sec. versus 11 "or so" sec on the PT Cruiser with the automatic (8.5 sec for 5 spd). The most noticeable difference was power on a long grades. Also, I hope the 5 star Chrysler Service is better than their "old" service was 2 years ago!
  • Options
    That was my understanding, service included every 5K for the Turbo engines. Glad to see a little more interest in the Beetle discussion group.
  • Options
    dieselzdieselz Member Posts: 1
    i love my new beetle. i just have some questions.
    does a regular cd player with a car kit work with the bug's sound system, or would it mess up the wiring? Does the splashguard do anything, really?
    should i spend more money? i live in new england so the snow is baaaaad in the winter. i want to take care of my bug. please help!
  • Options
    It is my understanding that the NB wiring harness into the trunk accomodates the VW CD changer. My car was factory equipped with the CD changer, but if it were not, I would still have used the facotry CD changer simply because it would be a plug-in installation. I am not sure of the cost- perhaps someone else can help on "low cost" dealer that can supply you with a CD changer. Additionally, we have had no problems with the 6 CD changer.
  • Options
    I imagine a splash gaurd would be worth it for you. Just be careful as you only have 4" of clearance with the Beetle. We have a GLX, so the traction control really comes in handy with bad weather.
    I ended up buying the VW CD changer, didn't want to have any problems with wiring etc.
  • Options
    carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    what's in your bud vase these days? The NB's bud vase sets it apart from any other car and when it was introduced, the retro vase got a lot of TLC. Are you still filling yours with flowers?

Do tell!

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    A candy cane.
  • Options
    My wife keeps various flowers and characters of the season (Santa etc).
  • Options
    carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    Candy canes and seasonal decorations, eh? That sounds like fun.

Lurkers? What about you?

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
  • Options
    sportygirlsportygirl Member Posts: 4
    I also had candy canes in mine for the holidays. Now I have one big pink silk flower. I prefer the silk ones to real since they don't die!:o)
  • Options
    mblalockmblalock Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I have a Dark Blue 1999 GLX turbo for sale. I hate to part with it, but I have to get a bigger car to haul around people for work. It's like I said dark blue with Tan interior, 5sp, and ALL options. The odometer is happy at 26K miles which is strictly on the road. I am asking around $18400 for it or best offer. I am located in Dallas, Texas for anyone that's interested. Please mail michael_blalock@hotmail.com if interested.

Thanks for your time,

-mdb
  • Options
    sayhey9244sayhey9244 Member Posts: 8
    Just test drove a 2.0 and a 1.8T yesterday, and really liked 'em both, but...
    It seems that the only CD player you can get is the changer, which is in the trunk, which seems a little inconvenient.
    Is it possible to install an in-dash single CD player, or is the changer *really* the only choice?
    Thanks from a newcomer!
  • Options
    melissamelissa Member Posts: 27
    Yes, you can have an in-dash CD player installed as an option.
  • Options
    waynerpwaynerp Member Posts: 35
    On my wife's 2000 Beetle 1.8t, the check engine light has come on at 35K miles. No other symptoms of a possible problem. I checked the gas cap, looked under the hood for loose hoses, connectors, etc. and found nothing wrong. The dealer says this is probably not covered by the 100K drive train warranty; they won't know until they check the computer codes. I just changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter a couple of days ago. Could this be related somehow? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    seloveselove Member Posts: 12
    I was told by the dealer that the design of the dash on the beetle prohibits an in-dash CD player from being installed.

Does anybody have an in-dash CD player in their beetle?

-susan
  • Options
    tzretusntzretusn Member Posts: 5
    clove,

The dash won't accept the DC player, it's too round. Believe the only option is the trunk mounted changer.
  • Options
    sayhey9244sayhey9244 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, Melissa- do you have any more details on the in-dash player? There seems to be some disagreement about the availability.

Thanks!
  • Options
    melissamelissa Member Posts: 27
    This best solution may be to call VW directly at 800-822-8987. Our information isn't entirely clear as to whether this option is available.
  • Options
    The OBD/check engine light can go on for the simplest reasons, loose gas cap etc. Imagine there is nothing serious but they will charge you for reading the code and resetting the check engine light.
    I guess the air-filter could be the culprit?
    Love the 1.8T with 5 speed.
  • Options
    perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    Hi all ... due to finances, I drive a Hyundai (O.K., no snickers please!) ... but am a VW guy at heart ... once owned a 74 Westphalia Bus! Anyhow, just like to say that I envy you New Bug owners, esp. those with the Electric Blue or Deep Indigo Blue paint ... those are my fave colours! I've read that the quality of the N.B. isn't all that great ... hard to believe, but is there any truth to that?
  • Options
    ckenedickenedi Member Posts: 16
    I would like to add autodimming mirrors to my wife's '99 GLS. Has anyone done this? Was it hard? How well do they work?

Thanks,

Chris Kenedi
    Ann Arbor