Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC60 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    msj09msj09 Member Posts: 32
    I am beginning to wonder if Volvo is going to be around very much longer. There are fewer dealers here in Northern California (SF bay area) and those that are still here carry VERY little inventory.......especially for the XC60. Are they keeping inventories low because the end of the year is approaching or is there a problem? How can they possibly stay in business with only 8 cars (maybe 1 XC60 but a T6) on the lot?

I have been looking for a FWD 3.2L XC60 with a few of the packages but there are so few around. If I get a hold of a dealer they say that they can order one for me. I ask if I would still get the Safe and Sound program and the answer has been "yes". Looking at Volvo's website, however, I find the following verbiage, "For the Volvo Safe + Sound Coverage Plan take new retail delivery from retailer stock between December 1, 2009 and January 4, 2010. " Ordering is not retail stock and this program ends (maybe) on January 4th.

By the way, the first quote that I get when asking about price is invoice minus $500. (although "invoice" seems to be $256 higher than I can find on any website). The costco deal is $500 better. I would prefer to trade in my current car but if they have no cars in stock it makes that difficult too.
  • Options
    hollywood53hollywood53 Member Posts: 44
    See the last paragraph of post number 92 which explains inventory levels, I have also posted that no corporate descision has been made as to the continuation of the maintence program past the Jan 4th deadline, this may or may nor continue, also keep in mind that VCNA usually closes the week between Christmas and new years
  • Options
    xc60_buyerxc60_buyer Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to pull the trigger on an 2010 XC60 T6. Packages are panoramic roof, climate, and convenience. MSRP is $41,200. Edmunds invoice is $38,779 + $500 ad fee = $39,279. After some negotiating, now we are at $38,500 (no processing fee or extras besides tag and tax) and they are throwing in all weather mats and a cargo mat at no charge.

I think I am getting a good deal at $779 below invoice with the free extras, but wanted to gauge opinions here. What do you think?
  • Options
    mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    I think the add fee is bogus but your bottom line price is about what I would expect.

My XC60 3.2 AWD is supposed to arrive on 28 Feb
  • Options
    hollywood53hollywood53 Member Posts: 44
    Ad fees can range from 250 to 500 , in some areas of the country dealers are in the national ad group and they are sometimes in a local group where they place ads in local papers and cable, these ads will usually list the participating dealers or sometimes will say Brought to you by your " local volvo dealer association", they are not bogus fees.
  • Options
    The dealership also pays a water bill and an electric bill. I wouldn't expect to see a fee for those in a sales contract either. Ad fees are just an attempt to pad the profit margin.

To avoid discussing the bogus fees when I buy a car I simply ask for the dealers best price including any fees (except TTL) they feel they must charge. I've yet to have an issue with it.
  • Options
    4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    I agree with that approach, mikey. I'll admit, it is never encouraging to see 'added dealer markup', ad fees, 'extra salesperson spiff' or 'whatever' added to the sticker; but, the bottom line is what I'm interested in. They can call it what they want...dollars are dollars.
  • Options
    xc60_buyerxc60_buyer Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help, folks. We ended up getting the XC60 on Saturday, and the dealer delivered to our house (115 miles away) and we signed everything at the kitchen table. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the both the deal I got and the service.
  • Options
    Gives us some reports on how you like it, gas mileage, etc. I have to wait until the end of Feb for ours to show up :(
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    I'm told that the "R" will be showing up at dealers about mid March. Does anyone here have more data on when the XC60 car be ordered, or any more about it?

The Costco deal, which expires 1/4/10, is basically invoice, less $500 dealer cash, and a $500 Costco gift card after filling out a survey. Dealers can add a service fee and an advertising fee, but that's negoiatable.

Without Costco, are you guys getting below invoice deals? If so, that's excellent.

Here is what Volvo said about the "R" last week:

Rockleigh, NJ (December 23, 2009) - "Volvo Cars of North America, LLC (VCNA) today announced pricing of the exciting XC60 R-Design with an MSRP of $41,550*. The introduction of the XC60 R-Design makes the premium crossover Volvo's sixth vehicle to offer the dynamic visual appeal and exceptional driving experience afforded by the R-Design package.

"The R-Design model boosts the XC60's already sporty aura and gives the car an even more refined character in terms of both driving experience and design," said Lennart Stegland, president of Volvo Special Vehicles. "These properties are what we know appeal to the discerning buyers of this type of car."

The R-Design package introduces several new features on the XC60, including 20-inch five-spoke Cratus aluminum wheels, color-matched lower body moldings which make the car appear closer to the ground - although the 9-inch ground clearance remains unchanged for off-road capability - and a metallic-themed interior, including aluminum inserts in the steering wheel, door moldings and the iconic center stack. It also maintains typical R-design attributes like door mirror housings, trim moldings and décor trim in matte silk metal finish, skid plates, twin chrome tailpipes, the R-Design logo embossed in the front backrests and an R-Design badge on the grille.

When it comes to driving performance, the XC60 R-Design offers a stiffer chassis, features stronger damping and a new, more direct steering gear which allows the driver to benefit from more alert car behavior and more precise communication with the road surface. The driver can have the confidence to push the car to its limits and fully enjoy the sporty capabilities of the XC60 R-Design"
  • Options
    You got a great deal on a wonderful car, XC60_Buyer. Good luck with it!
  • Options
    A 3.2 AWD, with Premium and Styling Kit (in my case 18" wheels), gets the same EPA economy, and is only several hundred dollars less, than the T6.

So, why order a 3.2???
  • Options
    waltazwaltaz Member Posts: 163
    I'm looking at a 2010 XC60, and am interested in how the sale prices are tracking relative to invoice. What sort of incentives are being offered for Jan?

Thanks!
  • Options
    xc60ownerxc60owner Member Posts: 2
    bought the xc-60 from dealer "b" shortly after christmas to beat the 12/31 sales tax deduction deadline and to get the 5/5/5/5 which ended jan 4. got the xc60 in blk stone w/ blk int, premium pkg, panoramic moonroof and pcc. msrp was 36,095. dealer inv 33,980, edmunds tmv 34,231. i got it for 32,880 before taxes, lic, reg, etc. i think i got a good deal based on TMV pricing, however, when i compare it to dealer "a" 's offer of 32,080 (which incl 1800 internet discount and 500 dealer allow), i start doubting and think i could've done better. the only reason i walked away fr dealer "a" is bec they didn't have the blk/blk i was looking for, they only had silver/blk. btw, i am not a costco member or both dealers would've offered the add'l 500 costco disc. was dealer a's pricing too good to be true or did i give in too quickly to dealer b's "final offer"? thanks for your thoughts. :confuse:
  • Options
    Sounds to me like you did fine...especially since you got what you 'wanted'...we ended up with more 'goodies' than I thought necessary but we're happy 15000 miles later.

I just hope your weather is not like central Texas. Our 60 is silver/tan and with the raked windshield and large moonroof, it heats up dramatically during 6+ months of the year! I can only imagine what a black/black combo would feel like! Mmm,toasty!
    Seriously, enjoy your ride! :)
  • Options
    xc60ownerxc60owner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Coach! We live in SoCal so it will really get toasty in the summer! Mmm, 90's. ;-) Fortunately, the vehicle will be in a garage most of the time (both at work and at home) so hopefully, it won't be that bad. The reason I wanted black was bec my old car had a lt grey interior and it showed dirt quite easily. So I said next time, I'm going for blk int! Anyway, we'll see. I may be regretting the black leather seats in July but I'm really happy for now. :D
  • Options
    kampakukampaku Member Posts: 2
    and I'm wondering how hard to push. Dealer's initial quote was $250 over invoice (or $1300 below TMV) for metallic, climate, multi, BLIS, and PCC. I haven't countered yet, and I'm wondering how much room he has. Is he likely to add 2 of the features in the convenience package (park assist and rear power outlet), which wasn't available, plus cargo and all weather mats?
  • Options
    hmomexhmomex Member Posts: 34
    I just got my new XC60 T6 in Phoenix, AZ... MSRP was 47,775 for a XC60 T6 AWD with Multimedia, Technology and Climate packages + Blis, Xenon lights and PCC on metallic color. Invoice for this car according to Edmunds is 44,960 and the TMV is 46,964... The car price I got from the Sanderson Volvo dealer in Phoenix was 43,690. All this without taxes... I think I got a good deal... what you guys think?
  • Options
    Our 3.2 AWD XC60 is supposed to arrive in-country today!!!
  • Options
    tallyallytallyally Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know how to track the vehicle? I got a message that the estimated delivery date was 2/12/10, but I haven't heard anything else. I ordered it back in November, so I am getting anxious and I am on my third sales guy and 2nd finance guy, so the dealership is not being extremely helpful...
  • Options
    ">The wife's XC60 3.2 AWD was delivered last night. Volvo of OKC...very good buying experience.
  • Options
    Congrats, mikey.

Please confirm that your EPA mileage figures are 16 city and 22 highway.
  • Options
    I dont have access to the window sticker right now but I think that is what it shows. I'm expecting better mileage with the limited amount of time the AWD will be engaged here in Oklahoma. Engaged is probably the wrong word since it's on all the time.
  • Options
    Thankfully, we've never seen the 16 #, at least not for any amount of time. We're at 17k miles and pretty much are 20mpg average +-2 for city or highway. If you believe the computer, there are few times the highway mileage tops 24 or so, even with feathering the pedal and cruising(at least not above 60mph). On the other hand, I see little difference in city mileage when comparing A/C on vs off.

Has Volvo 'refined' the stated EPA mileage?
  • Options
    Is it possible to attach pics to posts here? I was going to put up a picture of the wife's Maple Red XC60 but I don't see any way to do it.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    The pictures have to be posted somewhere public.. I suggest your CarSpace page. Click on MyCarSpace above, and you can upload photos to your page. Then you can link to that from here and post the photo.

You can't post picture files directly from your home computer.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    http://www.carspace.com/mikey38

maple red xc60 AWD with exterior styling kit
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    edited February 2010
    That's a great looking, vehicle, mikey!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I agree! and more importantly, the wife agrees!!
  • Options
    crsovr1crsovr1 Member Posts: 7
    The XC60 not only appeared on our list but went straight to the top today. We got the following deal on a silver AWD 3.2 with Premium, Climate, Convenience, Multimedia, Tech, BLIS, PCC for 2% over invoice.

Sound good? It also adds 250 advertising otherwise it is Inv+2%+TTL. But has a 5 year maintenance plan.

Also, we test drove the T6 but felt for the $ and loss in mileage, wouldn't be worth it. Anyone have a different opinion?

In KC - only one dealer, Superior (Hendrick)
  • Options
    Nice deal,

I belive the mileage on an AWD 3.2 and a T6 is basically the same, and with equal options the price is within about $300.
  • Options
    radoncgsradoncgs Member Posts: 60
    Good deal to me.
  • Options
    atimashevatimashev Member Posts: 7
    Please let me know if somebody talk to a dealer about xc60 R design, I got a price for Passion red with climate+ multimedia +PCC+BLISS ( MSRP 47350), this car is in stock (just came from the truck) - 44880 and the guy will wave title and registration fee( 652.00 for NY) , he will charge me only 100.00, other dealers quote between 45600 and 45120.Wwhat do you thing ? Buy or wait ( I could wait, but R design is limited production and sold out even for overseas delivery up to know, new orders could be placed in a middle of April for July delivery for 2011 models, but it could be a price increase for R design) , my wife is pushing , she likes a car.

Alex
  • Options
    Best to keep momma happy IMHO
  • Options
    She took a test drive first with regular xc60 and r-design later in New Jersey and she brought to my attention this car, I never had a Volvo, but I took a drive test with r-design and it was good like real European suspension without any sofa bed driving sense, only one thing I hate - small rotors on 20" wheels . What about price???

Alex
  • Options
    Same price we're getting down in Florida.

We looked at R, drove it, and bought a T with same equipment, other than 20 inch wheels (had 18" which are fine), for $3.5K less.

R is nice, but no performance upgrade, and interior was not to our taste. You are right about those nice wheels begging for better looking calipers and slotted rotors.
    For us, after the wait, the R was a gingerbread letdown.

If your wife wants it, go for it! Mine didn't.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Alex, please post the dealer name. Thank you.
  • Options
    Hassel Volvo ( Glen Cove , NY), also i had almost a similar price from Stamford Volvo in CT ( ask for Kevin).

Alex
  • Options
    bronsteenbronsteen Member Posts: 8
    Is the dealer's name Borris?
  • Options
    No, General manager - Ron Herring, Sales person- Harry Goldberg, this Hassel Volvo at Glen Cove Long Island, you even could mention my name, I do not thing it is a big secret for how much I bougnt. Stamford Volvo (CT) sales person's name Kevin , he gave a price by phone. Bay Ridge Volvo, Manhattan Volvo, Karp Volvo did not give a good price- just 1000.00 - 1500.00 less from MSRP and they told me about HOT MODEL and ....... . Bay Ridge guy has Passion red with 800 miles and scratch on a hood.

Best regards Alex
  • Options
    I just ordered my T6 from the factory today. We want it in a particular color (Premium Electric Silver) and loaded with almost every option, and there weren't any cars like that anywhere in the 500 mile radius from Northern Virginia.

Got what I believe is a great price: $500 under invoice. Bought from Darcar Volvo in Rockville, Maryland. The reason I bought from these guys is because it addition to $500 under invoice, they have the lowest documentation fee in the DC area -- just $100 compared to $300-$390 from other dealers.

Now we just have to wait for close to two months....

By the way, we were all set to buy Audi Q5 before we decided to give XC60 a try. Both me and my wife (whose car it will be) loved it. We felt it was marginally better than Q5, and a few thousand dollars cheaper.
  • Options
    The other dealers that offer $500 under invoice in this area are the Martens Volvo in DC, and the Fredericksburgh Volvo.
  • Options
    FYI...our custom order when in the last day of December, and the car arrived at the dealer in late February....eight weeks, total.
  • Options
    acracklacrackl Member Posts: 10
    I know this is the "prices paid forum", the other threads are pretty thin and my apologies for posting here. I am guessing that people who are considering the XC 60 have researched the mileage.

What real world mileage is to be expected with the XC60 T6?

The deals look pretty good with the XC 60, based on what I am seeing on this thread, plus the safe + sound looks compelling - in addition to the fact that it stands out well in the segment (compact SUV). However, with oil looking like it is headed above $100/barrel, gas costs could add up quickly.

Your answers are most appreciated.
  • Options
    After almost 12 months and 18K miles, our average XC60 T6 mileage is a shade over 19mpg. That would be with the A/C howling for about 8 months here in central Texas. The miles were about 40% highway, the rest local traffic and in-town expressways...very little commuter stop-and-go type driving.

This is compared to the same total mileage over 2 1/2 years in our '08 C70 yielding between 20-21mpg. Quite a bit more in-town miles on the C70. Both of us are 'spirited' drivers--especially on Texas' 65mph in-town expressways.

The XC 60 mileage ain't great; but, it is a fast and heavy vehicle. Our '07 XC70 got significantly better highway mileage but in-town comparison was a wash.

IMO, if one cannot find a comparable vehicle that gets AT LEAST 5 more mpg, the XC60 is the way to go. I'm not aware that such a vehicle is available...I could be wrong since I basically stopped looking a year ago. I'm sure there are hybrids and such now available(but it's hard to beat that turbo 281hp ;) .
  • Options
    I saw in my life gasoline price range between $0.95-4.20 and also price in EU much more now, but people still buying car with big engines for several reasons and one of them - "fun to drive". Talking about XC60 T6 - average NYC/Highway driving for my friend's car for seven month- 18.5 I had on MB R350 16.6 for 30 month NYC/Highway, but trust me - much less fun to drive.

Alex
  • Options
    onehaqqonehaqq Member Posts: 12
    Hello,

I am looking for a new XC60 and was wondering what kind of luck people were having getting under invoice? I am in the Indianapolis area and the one Volvo dealership here doesn’t budge on their prices. I have been looking around for a while and haven’t found one dealership that will sell for below invoice, including the couple of dealerships I have asked that were posted on this forum.

Invoice appears to be $30,461 on a base model according to Edmunds. Most places aren’t budging from 1-2k over invoice.

I am also considering the overseas delivery program because the base price on that is $29,970 – which appears to be the best deal anywhere. Not sure why more people don’t do the OSD.
  • Options
    acracklacrackl Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2010
    4mercoachrick, Alex,

Thanks for the responses. That helps a lot. I am in Houston, TX - so my experience would somewhat mirror yours' (NYC/Highway and central TX).

Aside from the mileage, how has the vehicle been? Any reliability issues or annoyances?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    I have a car just for 10 days and I still have MB R350, so I am driving both cars. I have on VOLVO only 95 miles. This Volvo XC60 R-design with Multimedia, Bliss, PCC and climate with Biege/Off black interior. I will post problems , if I'll see it

Alex
  • Options
    Sorry, just missed a point, my friend did not have any problems, except bad wire on a battery (+) , which was fixed after a visit to a dealre,he had two jump start prior to that.

Alex