Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    No, not really. I knew it would be just a matter of time, especially with all the recalls and quality issues they were having. You can't stay on top forever.
  • Options
    kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    New car ... with old car anxiety.
  • Options
    phantom2011phantom2011 Member Posts: 4
    Just got it today, I love it! On 100 miles trip home got a little over 31 mpg going from around 70-80 mph on southern california freeway. Ride wasn't as rough as I was expecting b/c some of the SE reviews I have been reading. After couple years of driving in my family newest model accord and camry I didnt notice much difference. The sonata was actually a little smoother and quieter, but that could be that the camry and accord is a couple of years old. I feel that if you dont have some super high expectation (for a $23k car) you would be very satisfied as I am. Hope this helps some of those looking for more answer ont he new 2.0T.
  • Options
    phantom2011phantom2011 Member Posts: 4
    I want to get some, I see many buying from shark racing. My car is phantom black pearl and they only have black diamond. I am hoping someone on the forum has experience with these two color and can tell me if they match. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Options
    stumpy414stumpy414 Member Posts: 2
    I have an Alias 2 and it pairs with my new 2011 Sonata LTD, 2.0T with no problems.
  • Options
    stumpy414stumpy414 Member Posts: 2
    No they do not have to remove the wheel for the recall. All of the work is done under the hood and under the floor mat where the steering shaft goes through the floor.
  • Options
    txwareagletxwareagle Member Posts: 1
    Anybody else having problems turning the car OFF with their proximity key??

Every so often, when we get where we're going, we put the car in park and push the button on the dash to turn the car off. It shuts the engine down, but doesn't turn off the electronics and instead flashes a message up to "Shift into Park." You then have to either restart the car or at least put it in accessory, shift the car out of and back into park and press the button repeated times before it actually turns everything off. If you don't it beeps/alarms that the car is not turned off when you leave with the key, etc.

This used to happen about 1 out of 10 times, but has recently gotten MUCH worse. It's now occurring about 70% of the time, and sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes of sitting there & messing it with it before you can leave. Of course the Dealer is unable to re-create the problem, so they can't diagnose it.

Just curious if anyone else was experiencing anything like this before I go around with Dealer one more time.
  • Options
    oceans3101oceans3101 Member Posts: 4
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=52547&hl=spoiler
    I think this may help.
    Further, however, why would you do this. Please compare pics from the side of the stock Sonata and one with the spoiler. I don't know why a few people choose to spend their money to screw up the beautiful lines of the Sonata. Please explain.
  • Options
    alexupalexup Member Posts: 14
    Just received a Master Card gift debit card from Hyundai for the steering recall for my inconvenience. Way to go Hyundai !!
  • Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Oh the joys of push button starting..

Maybe I better buy up a few decades worth of used cars now, without it, that will last me the rest of my years.

I know no one who likes push button starting. Keys worked just fine for a century.

Who was it started that push button cr&P anyway? Likely Lexus or BMW and quickly Nissan thought they had to have it. I think the consumer should voice it loud that they don't WANT it!
    ...that is unless you know someone who actually likes it? I would stake my life that they are in a distinct minority if so..

Anyway, as a tip and the only thing I can think of but is possible, confirm that where you store the remote it isn't getting the button pushed in and weakening the battery. With the symptoms you described, that fits. Some remotes, the buttons are too weak and activate in a purse or pants pocket pressing against other keys or coins.

Good luck with it, let us know what it was?
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited December 2010
    I think the consumer should voice it loud that they don't WANT it!
    ...that is unless you know someone who actually likes it? I would stake my life that they are in a distinct minority if so..

My daughter loves hers and a couple of her friends that have it love it too. I think it's somewhat of a generational thing. I'm not particularly fond of getting it either but I've had over 35 cars without it and am pretty set in my ways. But I can see some advantages to it when it is working properly which I assume it is for thousands of people versus the few that have a problem with it.

My daughter has small children and loves that she can carry them to the car and open the door, put them in their carseat, get in and start the car without ever having to fumble through her purse for her keys. Works the same if you have groceries in your arms. She has had absolutely no problems with it in two years.

I think if you actually did a poll of ALL the people that buy cars nowdays and not just our age group you would find that the majority like it. However, I wouldn't stake my life on it(that's crazy by the way) but it is my opinion.

They are probably a little more prone to problems but you can have problems with the regualr ignition switch too but admittledly probably less. I did have an ignition switch go bad once because I was carrying way too much junk on the keyring at that time...but that was my fault.

I do wish you could order a car without though for those of us that just don't have aneed for it. I guess it would cut down on vehicle theft if you keep the keys in your pocket and never leave them in the ignition. I see stories all the time of people jumping in cars at gas stations and taking off because people leave the keys in the ignition. I assume keeping the keys in your pocket would stop that kind of thing.

Here's a question for all those that have it. If you leave the car running and get out and walk away with the key in your pocket, does the car keep running, does it shut off, do the doors lock or is the tranny locked out or something?
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    My guess is there's a sensor that trips when the car is placed in Park. That sensor is failing causing the car to electronically think it's not in Park when it physically is.

I like how my car handles keyless start. Instead of a pushbutton there's a traditional key slot. Only there's a more-or-less fixed chunky plastic "key handle" in it that you turn like any other car key you've used for the past so many decades. You never take it out except in an emergency (remote failure) when the fixed piece can be removed by pressing a special release button.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Had my oil changed today and had the steering recall checked plus had the hood alarm switch modified to preent false burglar alarms. The Dealer attached a letter stating thank you from Hyundai and a $20 giftcard. The Dealer added a free carwash. In the letter Hyundai said thru Sept they have only found 8 cars out of 137,000 that reqd steering bolt repair/adjustment.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I don't recall ever getting a gift card, or letter for that matter, when taking any car I've owned (including Hyundais) in for a recall. (wink) It's good to see that Hyundai is stepping up their game on customer service, including doing recalls even if only a handful of cars are affected. I've never minded a recall action or problem with a car... s*** happens. It was how the manufacturer and dealership dealt with the problem that was important to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I like the idea of a proximity entry if it has been perfected. But NOT push button starting. I formulated my opinion that ended up being confirmed while considering the purchase of a new 09 Altima. Since then I have heard from both online and in person, too many complaints and annoyances associated with push button starting. (ask the guy who lost his and his family's life in the run-away Lexus or whatever it was, what he thinks of push button starting. Had it been a key, he could have turned it off and lived. On a borrowed car, who would know you must push and hold for 3 long seconds to turn it off?)

But these systems are proving to be wrought with glitches that allow security breaches. I recently read that a new Caddy's doors and lights unlocked an d came on, when a perfect stranger with a different car unlocked their car sitting beside it.

And this person having the issue with their br new 2011 Sonata, must be so not impressed. I think you are right btw, with your thoughts on what might be causing her grief.

Goodness only help us down the road when the car is out of wty and corrosion and electrolysis has had its way with all things electrical on these systems that aren't working right even when new. Some of it is being flashed with software upgrades etc. But what are u going to do way down the road? "Sure we can flash you with a software upgrade (that got nuked after an innocent and correctly done battery boost some day) ....that'll be 245 dollars please". And you will have to pay because no one else will have the proper flash inputs.
  • Options
    kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    But the keyless FOB and push button start is great.
    Not one problem or complaint.
    Try it you will like it.
  • Options
    shamrock13shamrock13 Member Posts: 8
    I've had my Limited Turbo for a week now. This morning I noticed a large spot in my garage underneath where the engine had been. Felt it and it seems to be just water. No color to it and no oily feeling. Wondering what this could be. Anyone else seen this with their Sonata?
  • Options
    I recently read that a new Caddy's doors and lights unlocked an d came on, when a perfect stranger with a different car unlocked their car sitting beside it.

That kind of thing has been going for years ever since the remote entry was invented. I don't know anybody that wants to give that up though.

Have you seen any actual scientific surveys done that "confirms" your opinion on the proximity key/pushbutton starts are not liked or are you basing it solely on your personal opinion and a bunch of reports you've read on the internet. I have read just as many reports about bad trannys, bad steering, bad engines, bad brakes as I have on these things. I don't think, with all the hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road that have these things, that the problem is as pressing as you make it.

I believe that there are a lot new 2011 Hyundai Sonatas with this feature and I don't read of many problems with it. At least not any more than any other system.

I do wholeheartedly agree that all these sophisticated electronics are going to be costly to repair down the road as cars age. Is that a reason to forego the luxury of having them during the interim though? I don't know. I guess it depends on how much you like the tech and how much you're willing to spend to get it fixed someday. That's a personal decision that only an individual can make. I, for one, am not going to try to decide for them.
  • Options
    "Have you seen any actual scientific surveys done that "confirms" your opinion on the proximity key/pushbutton starts are not liked or are you basing it solely on your personal opinion and a bunch of reports you've read on the internet."

- you must have misread what I said..here's an exact quote..

"Since then I have heard from both online and in person, too many complaints and annoyances associated with push button starting."

I have not heard of 'a lot' of keyless entry security breaches. I guess it is a matter of odds. But obviously the mfgrs aren't upping the odds by using newer tech (a 7 or 8 digit random code vs whatever they might be using now...4 or 5?) And since keyless entry is pretty much common place, maybe they should be upgrading whatever system they have used in the past. I also think this should include code reader breaches, but i haven't had any personal experience with this yet, fortunately.

I am frustrated by the new tech and I admit it. It is because it is becoming more common place on even low level cars and because I would still like to continue doing as much of my own work on my vehicles that I can, i guess i basically resent it when more things come along that has me at a loss for the challenge.

I helped a chap bleed the brakes on his BMW ABS equipped bike. We were able to get a 'partial' bleed, but the bike was designed to be hooked up to BMW's computer for a proper, more thorough bleed. I have an ABS equipped Honda bike that doesn't require that level of tech. (as an aside, the Honda system is more transparent {read better} in actual road-use than the BMW's) Who knows tho if my next bike will give me that choice.

Just because something is new and has a certain 'cool' factor (that attracts mostly the younger generation as u said) doesn't mean it actually is cool. And as they age, they will realize.

The push button Altima I tried, had 3 steps to start the car vs 2 on a non push button start. That's progress?

You were asking before...I have heard of a situation whereby a car was left running when a guy parted with his wife and she took his fob with her and he couldn't shut the car off. I read this on the net. It might have been here under a Lacrosse forum but not sure. Could have been anywhere. I also did read here about a case were a set of keys with the fob went off to another country in a bag, by mistake of course. That would not have happened had they been in the ignition, which is where a key belongs in a car that is running. But I'm old and I guess some might consider my thinking is too.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Don't know your geographic location, but here in central Texas that would be ac condensate, otherwise known as water. :)

During certain weather conditions (high humidity with moderate temps) an ac unit can dump COPIUS amounts of water. I have come out to the garage before and thought a hose had split!

If it is clear and has no oily feel or odor, that is probably what you are seeing.

and I am envious of you and your turbo... :(
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    We have this all the time in our garage from the a/c unit...nothing to worry about, just normal a/c characteristics!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Yeah, I hear ya. I quit doing much work on my own when I could no longer use my timing light and point gappers. I was just wondering if you had actually did any real research into whether or not these things are liked, disliked or just put up with or if it was all word of mouth/print. I have never seen any kind of poll or anything so I'm kind of going by my daughter and her group of friends and what I read in here. Yeah, I read about some complaints but not that many.

I'm still trying to figure out if any of these systems shut down, sound a horn, beep or whatever if the key is removed a certain distance from the car with the car still running.

One time I was listening to a ballgame while parked with the engine running waiting for someone to get home and when I saw them I jumped out of the car to greet them at the door. I had a habit of hitting the power door button instead of hitting the lock button on the remote in an attempt to "save the batter". Well, long story short, I came back to a running locked car about 5 hours later with the keys in the ignition and about 50 miles from home. Got it open finally with a coat hanger but what a pain that was.

I guess if you had this new keyfob in your pocket you would never be locked out at least. But I'm still wondering if you can just walk off and leave the car running or not. That could be both a safety and security problem.
  • Options
    shamrock13shamrock13 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks guys for your responses! :o) I was hoping that's what it was, but since I'm in NY & it's cooler now; I didn't think I would see that. Although, I had been running the heat the night before as it was a bit chilly. Thanks for bearing with me & my silly question. It's been a looonng while since I owned a new car. I've gone from paying attention to nothing, to examining every little detail. :o) Thanks Again!!
  • Options
    bobdeekbobdeek Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased (two weeks ago) a new 2011 Sonata SE with the XM radio, CD player multi speaker sound system. First I'm going to say this is an awesome vehicle (good power, good gas mileage, excellent quality and sound system is more than adequate) my only complaint is I can not read the radio screen in the Florida sun. The radio screen is blue and the only way to read it is to remove your sunglasses and squint. I've noticed several times the screen turned white and the black lettering was easily read. T think there is a sensor in the radio that is supposed to change the screen color in bright sun light. I plan on taking the car back to the dealer to see what he thinks.
  • Options
    carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2010
    The 2011 Sonata has just been named as the FIRST Hyundai to ever be given a 10 best car award from Car and Driver. Quite the accomplishment!! And this quote says it all, "the student has suddenly become the teacher". It shares this distinction with the Honda Accord. I just know the Honda boys are gonna be speechless over this one.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Link to that info...

10 Best
  • Options
    When the key is not inside of the vehicle, there is a chime that will sound off. Someone can still get in the car while it's running and drive off, but there is supposed to be a limit to how far the car will travel without the key present inside of the cabin. I tested the theory on a Nissan Maxima that didn't have the push start/stop system but the other system where you turn the ignition that looks like a key, if you know what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    First ever? How many time has Accord been awarded 10 Best on C & D?
  • Options
    carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2010
    Your point being? My point is simply that all the naysayers finally have something that will zip their mouths shut very quickly. Hyundai has finally made the big leagues because this is not an easy award to win. This just made the Sonata even more desireable and will increase resale value. The only caveat is that the days of firesale prices are quickly coming to an end.
  • Options
    Hypothetical. If I had the key in my pocket and drove to the airport with my wife in the passenger seat, got out at the airport, kissed her goodbye as she slid behind the wheel and took off as I entered the terminal.

a. Would their be any kind of alarm for her to realize that she was driving the car without the key present?.

b. Would the car alarm or shut off after a certain distance?

c. If she stopped on way home, shut off the car by pressing the ignition button. Would she then be stranded?
  • Options
    keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    It's been so long for me to buy the Sonata because of my sick girlfriend,in and out of nursing homes.I'm going to buy one hopefully next month or Jan 2012.My question is I was going to purchase the SE 2.4 but now I love the Limited 2.OT,does this have a panaramac roof? or just a sunroof?is the stereo better with the nav?and does it come with a subwoofer?
  • Options
    njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    The limited turbo only comes with the standard sunroof. I had seen an online article that was sent to me from a local dealership that had stated the it was going to have the panoramic version, but it does not. The only options if you want a panoramic sunroof is to either wait for the hybrid, or choose the Optima EX with the premium package. It is hitting showrooms as we speak. If you need the turbo version, it should be out in about a month.
    I really think you should consider it....many people that have seen it seem to think it is more male oriented and the Sonata is more female oriented
  • Options
    syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I suppose a Porsche is more "female oriented" then a Dodge Challenger then too right?
  • Options
    To answer your question.

a. Yes there is a chime that sounds when key is not present inside of vehicle.

b. Vehicle should shutt off after a certain distance, and if not then

c. She would be left stranded when she shuts vehicle off. Can restart if she has other key.
  • Options
    newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    I noticed in the reviews that the seat bottoms were mentioned. Why can't Hyundai do better with this? The driver's seat bottoms on our '03 Elantra and '07 Tuscon are killers on a long trip.
  • Options
    njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    Comparing a Porsche to a Challenger is comparing apples to oranges. The Optima and the Sonata are built on the same drivetrain and are built by the same company. The Optima has more rigid defined lines to the exterior (masculine) and the Sonata has more of a flow to it's exterior (feminine) . If you have done research on the web, you would know that I am not the first person to make this comparison.
  • Options
    Interesting comment... I found the driver's seat of the 2001-6 Elantra to be as comfortable as anything that side of a Volvo. They're firm, yes, but with so many adjustments I could make them "just right" for good back and thigh support. But then, the longest trip I ever took in one of those was 1000 miles.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    According to Motor Trend, the Sonata 2.0T can hit 155 mph, and they think it could go faster if not for the limiter.

And, they named it a MT COTY Finalist. But not the winner. They liked the 2.4L variant but had some complaints about the 2.0T and the Hybrid. Maybe they just got tired of giving the COTY to mid-sized family cars after doing it twice in recent years, with the Camry and Fusion.
  • Options
    The seat back in the 2003 Elantra was never a problem. I liked the firmness there as well as the adjustable lumbar support. But the seat bottom would put my right leg asleep as the trip wore on and no amount of ratcheting the seat adjustments up and down would fix it. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the adjustable lumbar support go away in the 2007 generation? I notice that you can get a power adjustable lumbar support with the 2011 Sonata in the GLS PEP package.
  • Options
    Yes, I think the lumbar adjuster was taken out of the 2007+ sedan (also the neat dual height adjusters from previous generations). The Touring has a lumbar adjuster I think.

Just curious... do you have your wallet in your right back pocket when driving? If I drive for any length of time with my wallet back there, my right leg starts getting numb.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    omg

155 mpg! Yowza. I always thought the 160 mph speedo were total jokes and nonfunctional wastes. But apparently if you're in a Sonata turbo on a racetrack you might get pretty close. That's amazing.

I'm kinda curious about the 6 speed manual in this car. Anyone actually one one of those? That base model is actually an incredible value for the money....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Put your wallet in your left pocket. That will eliminate the problem with your right leg. ;)
  • Options
    from the latest sales data for the first 11 months of the year, Sonata is up 65% in sales for the year. It's still in 6th place if I'm counting right in the highly competitive mid-size sedan market, but my guess is that next year, calendar year 2011, with the addition of the turbo and the hybrid, the Sonata may climb to 3rd place.

1. Camry/Solara c.296,000 sales for 11 months of 2010, -8% from 2009
    2. Accord 253k -3%
    3. Altima 206k +18%
    4. Fusion 196k +21%
    5. Malibu 187k +31%
    6. Sonata 181k +65%

Isn't December usually a good sales month? There are added incentives and so on. And so maybe Sonata will make it to close to 200,000 cars for the year for 2010. In 2011 my guess is it'll get close to 250,00, which is probably all that huge factory in Alabama can make (given that they're now popping out Optimas too...)
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but I think the Sonata was one of only two cars to get top ratings on this new, tougher test. The other car was the BMW 5 series...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCdreYVv2O4&feature=related

(this may have been posted before a while ago...)
  • Options
  • Options
    Yep, I don't put my wallet in my right pocket any more. I was just asking if the guy who got the numb right leg did it.
  • Options
    skdriverskdriver Member Posts: 9
    To follow up on your sales figures, in Canada Hyundai/Kia is now #4 in sales for the first 11 months of this year. (Toronto Star, Dec 04/2010)

#1 - Ford 248,405
    #2 - General Motors 226,468
    #3 - Chrysler 189,758
    #4 - Hyundai/Kia 163,246
    #5 - Toyota/Lexus/Scion 162,220
    #6 - Honda/Acura 128,633
  • Options
    Actually I have it in my front right pocket which may be just as bad. I'll take it out on the next trip to see what happens. Although my son had the some problem driving our Tucson on a trip - have to ask him about his wallet.
  • Options
    SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Concerning the leg falling asleep while driving. Years ago I visited a chiropractor for a back problem and first thing he asked was where did I keep my wallet when driving on a long trip (100+ miles) or more. If you keep it in a rear pocket it causes you to sit a little lopsided and could cause leg pain and back problems. Since I keep my wallet in the door pocket while on long distant driving I no longer have the back problems I had and I'm over 75 years young and drive over 25K yearly in a 2008 Azera. :):)