Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    artcag15artcag15 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2011 Sonata GLS with 21,000 miles on it. I absolutely love it BUT I took it to the dealer for the steering recall and asked them to fix my drivers floor mat. The clip holding it in the carpet doesn't stay in anymore and now the mat moves all the time. The dealer said it was MY issue and not even covered under the 12,000 mile warrenty! I would think it would be a liabilty to Hyundai If something happened. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That's bunk. I have an Elantra with anchors in the carpet for the front floor mats. A few years ago, a careless car wash attendant pulled one of the anchors out. I didn't know it was actually pretty easy to replace, but a couple days later I brought my car in for service at the dealership and asked the service writer if they would look at it. They replaced the carpet anchor, no charge... and it was well beyond 1 year/12k miles.

A couple of suggestions:

* Talk to the service manager if you haven't already. Ask him/her if this is typical of the kind of service you'll get from the dealership. If "yes", tell the service manager you'll have to look for another place to take your car for service.

* Call the Hyundai Customer Service number and tell them what happened. Hyundai seems to be trying hard to win customer loyalty now, so they may not take kindly to dealers treating customers this way. (Also mention the potential safety issue, maybe toss in a comment like, "I was hoping Hyundai would be different than Toyota on this kind of problem.")
  • Options
    artcag15artcag15 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info, I actually did speak to the manager and told him is seems like a liabilty issue to me, But I will probably have to contact customer care, its more than an anchor issue, the rug is actually streched too far for the anchor to stay put.
  • Options
    I see. Did the service folks say anything about "abuse"? That may be why they didn't fix it at no charge, if they think the anchor/carpet suffered abnormal use. When the car wash guy pulled the anchor out of my car, fortunately the hole in the carpet where it goes wasn't damaged. Otherwise I could have seen the service writer saying, "Sorry, maybe you should talk to the car wash for damages." And I would have.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I actually did speak to the manager and told him is seems like a liabilty issue to me,

That's the quickest way I know to terminate a conversation. When someone starts talking about a suit, it's normal to turn negative and try to end the conversation.
  • Options
    yankman04yankman04 Member Posts: 14
  • Options
    syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited December 2010
    I'm more amazed that so many people actually went out and bought a Chrysler... what were they thinking!??! I guess that is basically a lot of minivans huh?

Also, whoever was asking about the power in the 2.4 compared to the turbo can check out the 0-60 video I posted a while back

2011 Hyundai Sonata 0-60
  • Options
    caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    Statistics from Motor Trend May, 2010

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE
    0-30 . 2.9 sec........0-40 . 4.4 sec........0-50 . 6.3 sec
    0-60 . 8.1 sec.........0-70 . 10.7 sec.......0-80 . 13.4 sec
    0-90 . 16.8 sec.......0-100 , 21.0 sec
    quarter mile 16.2 sec @ 88.6 mph
    passing 45-65 . mph 4.1 sec
    braking 60-0 mph , 123 ft.
  • Options
    newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    Am I the only one that thinks this new format stinks. It is hard to read and boring. The car reviews are even worse.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    There's already a forum in here about the new changes...perhaps you should post there. Many folks are unhappy with the new changes, but being a long time Edmunds guy, I know they will tweak everything to improve the readability. Just give the powers that be some time!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    edited December 2010
    The front page looks like windows safe mode.

The font, layout, and overall design is terrible. Worse than the new B10 logo.

I spend most of my time "inside line" and they haven't messed with that yet thank god.

There is no tweaking that can fix this mess.

I would like to read the forum thread in regards to the new style but I don't feel like taking 10 minutes to find it. I spent a couple of minutes and gave up.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Look under "Edmunds Redesign".

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    ewg54ewg54 Member Posts: 25
    Was it broke?, if not why "fix it" now it needs fixed :cry:
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f21ab4f

Please put comments there. No one who has any power to do anything will read them in here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    Anyone who wants a good dealer go to Atlantic-West islip
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Apparently under the new format my reply was omitted:
    I have dealt with both Atlantic and Huntington Hyundai and I founf Huntington to be better in Trade in pricing and service. Huntington Service Dept treats you with personal interest. When I was purchasing my 2011 SE, Atlantic tried to rip me off on a trade.
  • Options
    cerretasamcerretasam Member Posts: 1
    What type of phone are you using? I am having major problems with my iPhone 4 and the bluetooth. VERY frustrating considering I am on the phone much for business.
  • Options
    meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    What kind of problem do you have? I have 2011 Limited w/o Nav and iPhone 4 but don't have bluetooth connection/pairing issue. No echo and voice dial works fine.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    we own the 6MT sonata-great car-averaging 35+MPG- just wish it had more options (sunroof, power seats, etc).
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Wow. Great mpg!! What percentage of that is city?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    not very much-it is highway driving but there are traffic lights-
  • Options
    abgharabghar Member Posts: 20
    I got my sonata turbo limited 3+ weeks ago. So far it is driving extremely well. No engine noise and nothing rattling in the car.
    A couple potential problems. First is an odd engine burning smell or the like is making me worried. Checked with the dealer and they say it is normal for a new car. The car has 1000+ miles on it.
    Second steering is leaning slightly to the left. It is not at absolute center. Will need to keep a watch for uneven tire wear for any alignment issues.

There are a few things Hyundai needs to improve on in the coming years to make the sonata class leading.
    1) Improve the cheap interior plastics. Dash , doors and center arm rest needs to be of better quality.
    2) Raise the passenger seat to normal height and make it power adjusted like the driver seat.
    3) Improve all seat cushions. Needs to be of better quality. Leather feels more like vinyl and there is very little support.

That is all the complains I have for now~
  • Options
    Yes, that burning smell is pretty common for new cars, often caused by a sealant getting onto the exhaust system. The smell should disappear in a few weeks.

Which cars in this same class do you believe have better quality interior plastics?
  • Options
    I am wondering if any other Hyundai Sonata owners are experiencing a prolonged engine burning smell or the like even after 1000+ miles and 3+ weeks with the car.

As for the better quality interior plastics, I feel Mazda does a very good job with the quality, design, and fit & finish. Plastic used in the sonata feel of inferior quality.
  • Options
    I have ordered solid strut tower brace, undercarriage body brace and aluminum pedals from shark racing. Service is really good and parts arrived on time.
    Only problem is they dont have specs for the sonata 2.0T so any part you order may or may not fit the sonata 2.0T.
    However, they are good to take the part back. I have shipped my part back to them in Korea. Waiting to see when I get my money back.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Hyundai has sold over 200,000 Sonatas this year so far!

200K sold!

:shades:
  • Options
    rsbaursbau Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    I've been talking with there manager Rich,snd he's great for pricing.I'm not trading in any car.But if your happy good-luck and Happy new Year.Rich is a great guy thou.
  • Options
    craigsamuelcraigsamuel Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys,
    I have had the 2011 Sonata since March and the cloth material of the driver's seat is fraying...hundreds of tiny threads are detaching themselves from the seat. Have any of you heard of an issue with the Sonata's seats?
    I guess it will be under warranty but man, I didn't expect this in such a short time.

Thanks
  • Options
    Just noticed my message didn't make it.
    You can turn off automatic phone book synchronizatio. If you synch your address book once and then turn it off, it will not download every time your phone connects to the car.
  • Options
    I've had my SE 2.0T for a little over a month with around 1400 miles on it. I didn't experience any engine burining smell at any time.
  • Options
    yankman04yankman04 Member Posts: 14
    My 2011 Hyundai Sonata was veering to the right on straight roads. I checked the tire pressure and it was fine. I brought it back to the dealer and they adjusted a rod and performed an allignment - THE CAR WAS STILL VEERING TO THE RIGHT - - they then replaced the two front tires with new ones and all is well again! Has anyone had any kind of steering allignment issues?
  • Options
    ins0mn1acins0mn1ac Member Posts: 4
    How and where (phone or car) do you turn off the synch ?
  • Options
    2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    Well, Well.............

Brand Keys Ranks Hyundai No.6 in the 2010 Customer Loyalty Leaders List
    Saturday, 20 November 2010

While a few years back Hyundai was known to toggle behind Japanese rivals Toyota and Honda, the Korea-based carmaker has made it clear that it is one of the most important car manufacturers in the world today. It has received a number of significant automobile industry awards lately, one of which is the recent citation from the Brand Keys, a New York-based consultancy on customer loyalty and engagement.

Based on its annual survey in different categories and industries, Brand Keys recently announced that Hyundai is the sixth most trusted brand this year, ranking No. 6 on the 2010 Customer Loyalty Leaders List.

The 14th Annual Brand Keys Loyalty Leaders List named 501 brands in 71 categories. Only two automotive brands made it to the top 50. Toyota ranks No. 37, while Honda is way behind at the 280th spot. Mercedes Benz and BMW rank 293 and 294 respectively.

Other car brands in the list are Kia (No. 299), Jeep (No. 312), Ford (No. 323), Nissan (No. 368), Saab (No. 406), Volkswagen (No. 419), General Motors (No. 450), Chevrolet (No. 464), Volvo (No. 475), and Chrysler (No. 481).

The top 10 brands in the list are (1) Apple iPhone, (2) Samsung, (3) Wal-Mart, (4) Grey Goose, (5) Apple, (6) Hyundai, (7) Amazon.com, (8) J.Crew, (9) Blackberry, and (10) Avis. These are the ten brands to where people swear their loyalty.
  • Options
    Amazing. Two of the top six brands are from Korean companies. And two of the top five are... Apple. It seems Wal-mart's various legal problems haven't hurt its "trustworthiness" in the eyes of the public.

Avis must still be trying harder.

Grey Goose???

Excuse me, I have to work on a problem with my Blackberry now...
  • Options
    If you like vodka and have tried Grey Goose, you would understand the loyalty. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    A reporter would like to talk with someone who had owned or shopped a Toyota in the past but now drives a Ford or a Hyundai. Please email your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, January 7, 2011.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    Ah, that explains it. I'm not a vodka fan. More into wine... reds... for the, uh, health benefits. Yes, that's it...
  • Options
    halls1030halls1030 Member Posts: 3
    Recently purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited (without Nav & without Turbo) from a local south suburban dealership here in Chicago. We paid $25,100 OTD on a Pearl White with Black Leather Sonata Limited. These are pretty hard to come by in this area...less than 6 available in the state. We decided on the White after realizing there were only 2 Black/Black Sonata's in the state as well. I think I shopped a great deal being that the dealer had to trade to get the car for us as well...

It's hard to argue with everything you get with the car when comparing it to the other competitors in its class (Camry, Accord, Altima). Great warranty to back it up as well.

This coming from a guy that always drove BMW's...granted it's a Hyundai, but at $15-20 grand less and getting over 30mpg in mixed driving - with all the bells and whistles...it's tough to argue.

Love the car so far...we'll see how she holds up at 10 & 20k miles.
  • Options
    sonatamisonatami Member Posts: 1
    I am having difficulty getting a good match to the Venetian Red paint on my Sonata. The part is the gas cap door that was accidently snapped off at the dealership. Can't seem to get the same color. Is this a problem with the red Sonatas? Any suggestions? Love the car...hate to have to live with a color that is "off" for the next 10 years!
  • Options
    I don't understand... since this happened at the dealership, isn't it up to them to find a match for your gas cap door?

When I lost a painted mirror (more than once) on cars with fixed mirrors, the dealership was able to order the matching paint for them. But it was pretty expensive to do that. This is one reason I love cars with folding mirrors.
  • Options
    flyboy21flyboy21 Member Posts: 7
    I had to have the front bumper cover replaced because of a freak mishap. While backing up a small dead limp got between the right front wheel and bumper and popped the cover loose on the right front, also tore the inter fender lined off.
    I took it back to the dealer (only had 1400 mi. on it) for repair. The Venetian paint they used if a perfect match.
    It should not be a problem for them to match the paint color.
  • Options
    nickysnickys Member Posts: 42
    I purchased a 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited and noticed that it drifts left almost all the time.

Contacted the closest dealer, reported my concern and they asked how many miles were on the car.

I responded about 600 and they said they didn't look at alignment until a minimum of 1000 miles was on the car.

I drove further to the dealership of purchase and this was on my service receipt:

C/S Car pulls to left at times
    Checked alignment and set toe in front and rear
    Test drove still drifting left
    HRS 1.1

C/S Rotate tires
    Rotate tires and test drove OK
    HRS 0.8

I drove off and after a few miles noticed that it still drifted left. I returned back to the dealership.

The service manager rode with me and tried to tell me that torque steer would cause the car to pull while under acceleration.

I told him and demonstrated that the car drifted after reaching and maintaining a steady speed and used 40-80 mph as an example.

Car still drifts and he asks me to take the next exit, turning around go back and let him drive.

I comply and as he drives back he states he can make it drift to one side or the other by letting go of the steering wheel while pointed in one direction or the other.

He claims the car is working properly.

I told him that the steering does not come back to a neutral position and that maybe there was a glitch in the electric steering software.

He claims that there's nothing in the steering to adjust, but if Hyundai sends him a memo then he can act.

The somewhat humorous revelation is that when it drifts left and you compensate, turning the wheel slightly right and holding the position until the car is back in the center of the right side lane, then let go the steering wheel will "pop/jerk" left 0.75" again tracking left.

However, it will never pop/jerk to the right because it doesn't pull to the right.

The service manager explains this as not a pull, but only a normal drift, yet if only a drift why does the steering wheel only pop to the left and not the right?
    Hyundai service cannot appear to grasp that the steering seeks a neutral position though that setting is drift left.

It appears that Hyundai has tried to dial in, and account for, center crown on two lane divided or right lane freeway by setting up the car to counter the crown by pulling left, but they've dialed in too much.

A couple of hours after returning home I checked the PSI of the tires. LR-35, LF-35, RF-35, RR-33.

Almost appears that they dropped a couple of pounds in the right rear tire hoping it would drag a mite and help correct a left drift.

I left the front tires alone @ 35lbs and brought up both of the rear tires to 36lbs.

I haven't driven since, but I will post future results.

My steering wheel pulls left just the same as the one in the youtube video.
  • Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Geez :( even Hyundai trying to pull that crap?

When he said let me drive, what difference does that make in this situation? All that is required is to let go of the wheel. :sick:

It sounds to me like the entire rack/grid? is not centered. But with electric it could be almost anything. I am not a fan of this technology and it is for cases exactly like this. Other brands have their issues with it too.

I am not liking certain new tech aspects to all the new cars lately. Way too much electronics. My latest beef is with too aggressive anti-whiplash head restraints that have no adjustment and sit way too forward.

If I hear of something for you to check on your pull, i'll post up here again.
  • Options
    nickysnickys Member Posts: 42
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=54868

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=56918

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddYZWOgoZU

My mild beefs w/car are:

The passenger seat is to low combined w/high sides and have no vertical adjustment.
    No power adjustment on the passenger side and no memory on the driver side.
    Bluetooth has great reception in the car, but hard to hear on the other end even w/windows up and a quiet cab.

Not a beef and I expect 225X18X45 to ride a little rough and experience road noise on some surfaces.

Still doesn't roar as mud grips.

The car is tight and the turbo is quiet allowing for quick passing at speed even if you cannot obtain full boost until fourth gear.

The car is roomy, tight turning radius I'm averaging around 25 MPG overall.

I'm pleased w/the HP/MPG combination @ 700 miles and know the MPG will go up w/more miles.

I only want Hyundai to fix the left drift because that wasn't and shouldn't be part of the deal in buying a new car.
  • Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Only the turbos are doing it? That is even odder.

Interesting to see the low 2250 rpm at 80 mph.
    I bet the non turbo spins higher than that.