Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Is there a web page anywhere with photos and more details?
    What is the list price for the navigation system?
    Too bad you cannot play a CD and use the navigation at the same time. I assume you can at least play the radio at the same time.
    Are the audio specs and performace of the Nav/radio any better or worse than the best available factory radio for the PT?
    Can the navigation and satellite radio be installed at the same time?
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    The nav radio is a direct replacement for standard Chrysler radios.

The one I looked at was installed in a PT Cruiser GT ( I know the owner) and I played the radio while navigation was in use. This car has the optional CD stacker and I played CDs while in navigation mode also.

I've seen prices in the $1500 range, but suspect some dealers will discount a little. Installation takes about 5 minutes (Snap out the power window switch and remove the screw holding in the center stack face plate. Pull off the face plate and remove the four screws holding the radio to the dash. Pull out the radio and unplug the wires from the back and plug them into the nav radio. Put the nav antenna on what looks like a little shelf above the A/C vent. Then reverse the radio removal procedure.).

There is a picture in the Chrysler and PT Cruiser accessory booklets at the dealer.

I didn't check specifications, but it is probably at least the equivalent of the best factory installed radio for the PT. I didn't ask about satellite radio.
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    It's a complicated issue, there are probably as many opinions as to what the PT is, as there are people. The EPA classes the PT Cruiser as a Mini SUV, Chrysler was very happy with that classification as it raised the CAFE numbers for their truck fleet. The NHTSA classes the PT as a van. The State of Maryland classes the PT as a 4 door sedan. Other states class the PT as a station wagon and of course Edmunds calls it a hatchback.

Just ask any owner how they classify it and they will tell you it goes in it's own category, Delightful.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Agree with you totally. The PT is a delightful hybrid of car/wagon/minivan/SUV. Plus it has style galore to boot. Get the Turbo version and you can add "muscle car" to the descriptions above.

About the diesel issue, of the ones I've driven, none would even be remotely on my shopping list to own. That includes some of the "better ones" (use the term loosely) like the TDI VW New Beetle or even the ones put out by Benz.

From what I understand, there is, or will be, a diesel PT for foreign markets.

Although the PT being the trend setter, you can find others that are trying to "horn in" on the PT's success...Vibe/Matrix twins, Protege wagon, Honda Element...

None of those come even close to the style, quality or driving dynamics of the PT. To my knowledge, none are available as diesels either.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    Seems more like a Sedan rather than a wagon but with the way it can be configured is makes a good case for a wagon. The way the space is set up behind the back seat I can get about as much back there as I could in my Cherokee and it is easier to reach. When Christmas shopping I got two bikes and several packages in the back much to the surprise of the woman in the Suburban parked next to me.

AS far as the EPA and how it is rated? I am sure the CAFE truck averages had something to do with it. But to tell the truth the American public doesn't seem to much care about CAFE. The congress decided not to revisit CAFE and if it hadn't been for California the issue would have died on the table where it belongs. Diesels are another issue. People who drive diesels have to be committed to them. They drive differently and have advantages and disadvantages.

PT Cruisers are about enjoying your car and making it your personal transportation. It is not part of a cause or a conspiracy to defraud the tree huggers. It is just a car a lot of people like.
  • Options
    CAFE has been a joke for some time now. I personally think they should just dump them altogether. If there ever is another "manufactured" oil crisis in this country, then people will buy more Focus, Civics, Corrolas, Neons, etc. Still woulnd't see much more than a "blip" in diesel sales.

I've always been one to let the market decide what you build. The electric cars, hybrid cars and diesels in this country have all been dismal sales failures. That's not what the American public wants. I think it's pretty simple, car manufacturers will build what the public will buy.

In Europe, where the taxes on fuel have made diesels viable, is more a cause of high taxes than anything else. Same in Japan where the size of the cars and engines are dictated by their gov't than what the public really wants.

Enough about that. My PT has done double duty as a pick-up truck, a sedan, a muscle car, a mini-van....

I've had the back seats out for a few weeks while I was hauling everything from a 6' Christmas tree, to mulch, to way more Christmas gifts than I should have bought. I've had more than one SUV owner question me at the mall parking lots about how much I could fit into it.

I still get about 25 MPG in a mix of in-town/highway driving.

Darn good car/truck/whatever you want to call it, in my book.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more. This car has been more to me than my old RamCharger. I could put heavier things in the Dodge but for 90 percent of the time this PT is far more versatile. With all the after market support it is a great car to fix up. Cold air and an exhaust have been quite a help for me. This is the first time I have joined a car club in years and I have had nothing but fun.
  • Options
    Just saw the most recent Automobile magazine with an update on a "long-term" test of the Toyota Matrix (I'm sure the same comments can be applied to the Vibe).

In essence, they said that the Matrix falls far short of the standard set by the PT. That's something we already knew, though.
  • Options
    The Matrix/Vibe crowd and the PT group are two different animals. Sooner or later people may get into after market support for the Matrix/Vibe but for now it is still pretty limited. The PT is all about making the car your car. Just type in PT cruiser parts in a search engine and you are swamped with sites. PT clubs abound and people are still joining them. I just got the front and rear bumpers done on my PT to match the rest of the car plus my cat back exhaust now has two tail pipes. Does the car run better. Maybe a little but it sounds and looks better and cruisers are all about practicality and image.
  • Options
    "The PT is all about making the car your car" - I wouldn't say "all," but it sure is a big part. Anyone that wants to see how mods look can attend a local PT meet and greet and see many PTs in various stages of customizing. I counted 49 at this month's.
  • Options
    hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are any plans to make PT longer by a couple of feet? It would make its now limited cargo space much more practical.

I saw the concept PT, but that is very far away if ever (and it is a two door, which I would actually prefer). In case you haven't seen its pictures, I have a few here
    I am not even sure it is longer. It just seems that way.
  • Options
    A couple of feet???? That would make it about 6 inches longer than an MDX, XC90, or Touraeg. Maybe the new Pacifica will meet your needs. I can see a slightly wider and slightly longer PT, but not a giant one.

The two door PT will probably be a convertible first. The California Cruiser (two door) at the auto shows now is about the same size as the current model. Interesting interior in the auto show car.
  • Options
    to the release of the convertible. I saw a after market two door when I bought mine. It was the PT panel and look pretty good but I wouldn't think getting in the back seat would have been much fun so it may have been better to just remove them. The PT with the seats out has more room than most of us need but if you did need more the Pacifica might be a better choice.

I have been to a few meet and greet functions and have joined the PTCC a few months ago. Last November we went on a cruise to a little town in California called Solvang. There were 46 of us and not one looked just alike. Yes, some people like them stock I am sure but it sure looks like more people customize their PTs than just about anything else I have seen.
  • Options
    I hope you had some Danish pastries in Solvang. Nice place. Our PTOC group does similar cruises (also in SoCal) and like you said it seems no two cars are the same. Makes quite a sight seeing so many PTs nose to tail rolling along the freeway.

I haven't taken the seats out of mine yet, but there seems to be a lot of room just folding them. The only space shortage seems to be the glove box. It isn't big and there is no center storage console to make up for it.
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyr wrote: A couple of feet???? That would make it about 6 inches longer than an MDX, XC90, or Touraeg. Maybe the new Pacifica will meet your needs.

Pacifica will cost about two PT Cruisers. No, thanks. I don't see how it would make it "giant", btw. I could settle for a foot at least. Right now, with the rear seat up, there is hardly any cargo space at all.
  • Options
    At some point the PT Cruiser be redesigned and it wouldn't be a surprise if it was slighly bigger. Like a couple inches longer at most. If you need much more room and folding the rear seat isn't good enough, then a minivan is available for about the same price. You don't have to buy a $35,000 Pacifica.
  • Options
    s852 wrote: At some point the PT Cruiser be redesigned and it wouldn't be a surprise if it was slighly bigger

I would not be surprised if it is bigger. I'll wait for details.

If you need much more room and folding the rear seat isn't good enough, then a minivan is available for about the same price

I would rather wait for larger station wagons. I am not particularly enamored with minivans (although I prefer them to SUVs).
  • Options
    I guess it's a matter of expectations, but when I take the back seats out, I have a TON of room.

As an example, I fit a new 36" TV from Best Buy, still in the box, in the back of my cruiser. I was also able to shut all the doors....was easy to load and unload, too.

It sounds like you're looking for some sort of mid-size SUV for your hauling if the Cruiser isn't big enough. Of course they aren't nearly as much fun nor as stylish as the Cruiser, however.
  • Options
    No, I am not looking for a mid-size SUV. There is a happy medium between "enough room for a handbag", and a honking SUV. You say you have a lot of room after removing the rear seats. I said in previous posts I am looking a little room with the seats up. Like enough room for luggage for four people. And btw, I despise SUVs and I am looking for a car (I mentioned that previously as well).

It is clear that I will not convince anyone here (I wasn't even trying to convince, was just asking). But, since PT Cruiser is perfect, I'll check out other station wagons.
  • Options
    Sounds like the Cruiser isn't for you, then. You're right, you probably should look somewhere else. Don't know where, but give it a try. You say you want a car, so you can go to maybe a Grand Marquis or something of that "ilk". That's a big car, but you won't fit luggage for 4 people in it without a "tie down" for the trunk. Maybe a Caddy, but you're stuck with the same issues as the Marq and they cost a lot more.

I honestly don't know where else you can go to get what you want in a car.

With 4 people, on the way to the airport for a week cruise, we all fit plus all of our luggage, back seat in tact...very comfrotably.

To get anything bigger than the Cruiser on the inside, you almost have to go to one of the SUVs....but you said you don't like SUVs.

Not meaning to offend, but by your tone, it sounds like you did try to come in this thread to criticize and convince us that you don''t like the Cruiser. Maybe I'm wrong, don't know!

For me, at least, one of the many things I like about my Cruiser....fit people and a ton of other stuff in such a nice package.
  • Options
    is that I find the PT has plenty of room but it depends on if you need long room or tall room. My PT can carry as much as my Cherokee ever did but the folded seats don't offer as much floor space. I got two 20" boys BMX bikes, assembled , plus a microwave, and a few other boxes in the back of mine, during Christmas. Without the back seats I can get a full sized washer and still close the door. The same washer wouldn't fit through the opening on my Cherokee. Nor would the Bikes stand up to be loaded. However with the seats forward in the Cherokee there was more floor space I believe. It has more room than most compact wagons but not as much as an old full sized wagon. When I looked for my PT I cross shopped Subaru, Mazda P-5, Focus 5 door, Matrix/Vibe and even the VUE. The PT was the one with the most useable room. It is more of a Sedan with utility rather than a wagon.
  • Options
    I agree with graphic guy about the luggage space in the PT. However, in my case, in order to get everything into the "way back" the cargo area cover would have to be stowed vertically behind the rear seat or put on the cargo area floor.

I know you don't like SUVs but they are essentially station wagons. The Honda CRV has lots of room behind the back seat, lots of room in the back seat, performs better than the non turbo PT, and can be had in 2 wheel drive. I almost bought one, but didn't like the wrong way opening tail door (hinge on curb side).
  • Options
    graphicguy wrote: Not meaning to offend, but by your tone, it sounds like you did try to come in this thread to criticize and convince us that you don''t like the Cruiser

Indeed, that was the last thing on my mind. I was merely asking if anyone knew of plans to grow the platform longer. A lot of cars are getting bigger these days, so it's a legitimate question.

fndlyfmrflyr wrote: However, in my case, in order to get everything into the "way back" the cargo area cover would have to be stowed vertically behind the rear seat or put on the cargo area floor

That's exactly the problem I am having with it. Not all luggage is suitable to be stored that way. In fact, I find that is more a rule than an exception for me.

Sorry for ruffling any furthers. It was not my intention.
  • Options
    tommybluetommyblue Member Posts: 20
    Well I bought my PT last May and was very happy and excited. Now I am noticing that whenever I wave or give a thumbs up sign to another PT driver I hardly ever get a response. Less and less people care! This FAD is OBVIOUSLY DYING. I thought about trading the car in and guess what. I only have 7000 miles on the car in perfect condition and the blue book is around 11K!! For a 2002!! What is up with that!! Less than a year old! 8 months! What will it be down to next year, 5K?? Makes me wonder why I bought the thing in the first place. What a dissappiontment both in the value and fading enthusiasm. I can't even afford to get rid of the car now. And most people still tease me about it being a "chick car". Wow. This car may become an embarrassment to drive. Its been starting to feel that way. People also tell me its nothing more than a PLYMOUTH/DODGE NEON! Oh by the way the gas mileage is also horrible (automatic) I can almost see the fuel level needle move when I have accelerated up a short grade.
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    for you or for them? Drive it and enjoy it. So what if nobody waves! You want admirers join one of the many PT Cubs around. Personally I still think they're very cool. But I can't afford a 3rd vehicle and can't see it replacing either of the current ones right now. Otherwise I'd have one.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Sorry, I don't understand what you're complaining about. Any car's value drops substantially in the first year, especially an American car like Chrysler and taking into account the economy's condition and saturated used car market. I don't know why you expected different. And no, the value of your car won't drop so dramatically next year. Expect it to drop a few more thousand. Anyone knows buying a new car and trading it in 1 year makes no financial sense. Lastly, if image and looking "cool" was that important to you, the PT wasn't a good choice to begin with. It's a nice car and has unique styling, but there are too many of them around for it to be a cool image car anymore. And let's face it, few 4 door sedan/wagon/mini-Suvs are considered cool. Image cars are normally sports cars and that is something the PT is not. Besides, all car fashions fade over time. Ultimately, it's your fault for buying impulsively and not making sure the PT was a car that you would enjoy driving and being seen in. I just can't believe you are that disappointed with the car based on what other people say and the fact no PT drivers wave back at you.
  • Options
    tommybluetommyblue Member Posts: 20
    OK, well sorry I overdid it ok. I have to get over people calling it a chick car. I actually like the darn thing, its just that I've felt a bit strange driving it recently for said reasons. I'll get over it. Heck in time I may get so attached to it I'll never get rid of it like my other two cars and truck...anyway sorry, its a practical car and yes looks pretty cool I guess. Rides comfortable too for the price. PEACE. :)
  • Options
    People are shocked because during the first year or so, they were so hot that you could sell a 1 year old PT for almost the same price as a new one since the new ones were so hard to get.
  • Options
    is different for everyone. I get a lot of waves from other PT owners but that may be because I live in a small community and I see the same ones almost every day. The only way to become part of a PT community is to look up a local PT club in your area and go to a few meet and greets. The Complaint Tommy has is just about the opposite of what many who don't like PTs complain about. They say we always travel in packs. I will admit that it is nice to get together with a few new people and show off a common interest. But now that more people have them it seems as if less people feel a connection when they see another PT on the road. I hear the same complaint from my son and his Jeep friends. Jeep owners have the wave like Bike and PT owners do but as more people get them less people are "Real" Jeep, PT, or bike people. The whole idea is to do your own thing. That is why I am so amazed when I go to a PT meeting somewhere like I did last November when we hooked up with 46 other PT owners and cruised to Solvang. Not one was fixed up alike. Do I still love my PT? Yes I do but I bought it knowing all about its warts. Sometimes I even find myself waving at Mini-Cooper drivers. I think they may understand as well. I think the sign in my sons windshield could be used by changing the word Jeep to PT because it would say, "Its a PT thing, you wouldn't understand."
  • Options
    No "chick" comments about the PT, though. MAtter of fact, I've only seen one female driving one.....ever.

Sounds like the people who are commenting to tommmyblue are jealous of his ride.

I still get "thumbs-up" all the time. There's a monthly "Cruiser meet" in my parts that draws more enthusiasts than the Corvette club (as some Cruiser owners own both).
  • Options
    My wife is the primary PTGT driver and PT three houses away (and another around the corner) is also driven by a female.

I don't see any waves when I drive ours, but who cares. We're having fun driving it. Had 74 PTs at last weekend's PTOC local meet and greet. I find the meet and greets a good way to see accessories and modification before I buy.
  • Options
    I think when PTs were less common, waving was probably more prevalent, a lot of the complaints are by early adopters who remember the good old days. That said, waving isn't totally dead. Whenever I can, I try to wave or flash my lights (which embarrasses my wife) if I can react on time. Sometimes I get a response, sometimes I don't, it makes the car no less fun to drive. A couple days ago, I saw a PT and gave them a wave, I thought the driver was going to take off, they waved back so hard. That was a good feeling.
  • Options
    PT has been very informative for me and my wife both. We see things in catalogs and wonder what it would look like on our car. Some things we see at PT meets we like and some we don't care for. For most of my friends the PT is not just a retro factory effort but a work in process. It must also be understood that the PT was never about how non PT owners viewed the car but how the car effected the owner. In my area much of the custom work done on PTs are at Custom Bike and PT shops. This car brought back much of the interest in making your car look good and different at the same time. It is hard to compare the PT to other cars because it isn't like other cars. The PT is more of an idea or a style than anything else. One thing about the PT, it gets a reaction and it sold a lot of fuzzy dice.
  • Options
    mervay2mervay2 Member Posts: 20
    I just got a 2003 Touring edition. Is it supposed to have a dual note horn? If so then I got a sick single not model.
  • Options
    The PT's horn is weak, at best.

When the weather breaks, I'm planning on replacing mine with something a bit more "powerful" and unique.
  • Options
    As I answered in your other request, the 2003 comes with a single note horn. The 2001 and 2002 came with a dual note horn, it's possible you could get one from the dealer.
  • Options
    Some formerly standard items have been removed for the 2003 model. The passenger door key lock, rear stabilizer bar, carpet protection where the driver's left foot rests on the floor, lights in the rear window control switches, and the hi note horn are among the de-contented items.

I installed the "missing" horn on my 2003. Takes about ten minutes. The wire harness still has the connection for the missing horn, so it is just a plug-in situation. The horn location is under the right front fender behind the headlight. The holes to mount the missing horn are there just below the horn that came with the car. The horn is held in by one bolt. Just turn the steering wheel to left, remove the lower four inner fender fasteners and pull the inner fender back towards the tire and you can reach where the second horn goes.

To hear the difference before buying the second horn listen to the horns from a 2001 or 2002 and compare it to a 2003 horn.
  • Options
    things have been added also, at least for the base level. Among them the front passenger seat now lays flat and the rear seats include the headrests.
  • Options
    aberystwythaberystwyth Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a driver's seat height lowering kit (or other method) to lower the seat height by about 2" ?
    I'm 6'3" and would find the driving position better
    (The power seat does not go low enough)
    Appreciate comments on how to solve
  • Options
    With all the snow we have gotten in Maryland, it's nice to know that the Cruiser does well in it. Today the main roads are somewhat clear, at least to 1 or 1.5 lanes. Side roads aren't as nice but the car soldiers on.
  • Options
    hedigsithedigsit Member Posts: 3
    if the vehicle is made in Mexico? And my son keeps telling me Chrysler uses foreign parts. Anybody know more about that?
  • Options
    Designed in The U.S., assembled in Mexico, and profits go to Germany. According to my window sticker, 31% of the parts are from Mexico and 61% are from the U.S. or Canada. Most, if not all, car manufacturers use parts from all over the world.

With today's multinational companies it is sometimes hard to determine what is a real U.S. Product. My Toyota was made in, and maybe designed in, the U.S., but profits went to Japan. My last Chevrolet sedan was made in Canada, but profits came to the U.S. Buy a Nissan and profits go to France. Buy a Jaguar or Volvo and profits come to the U.S.
  • Options
    There is no more "made in America" or "made in Japan" type of blanket statement that can be made as it was a while ago.

As fndly points out, parts are sourced from all over the world, assembly is done in Mexico for the PT. Yes, some profits go to Germany, but even a goodly amount of those dollars end up here in the U.S. with Chrysler.

It's getting tougher and tougher to "follow-the-money" in the car game.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Graphicguy makes a good point. Also, for more on this subject, check out this discussion from our News & Views board: Increasing Globalization....does 'country of origin' matter?

And let's get back to the subject of the Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Btw, do you own a PT Cruiser, or are you in the market for one? If so, we look forward to your future posts in this discussion....

Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    PT Cruiser is "all-American" if it is assembled in Mexico with parts from Mexico, Canada, and the USA. BTW, if 31% of content comes from Mexico and 61% comes from Canada or the USA, where does the other 8% come from?
  • Options
    hedigsithedigsit Member Posts: 3
    No I don't own a PT.
    I am currently shopping for a new vehicle. Glad I found this site recently!
  • Options
    Not to start an argument, but the last time I checked my geo-political atlas, Canada and Mexico were still sovreign countries and had no desire to be annexed by the U.S.

If you meant that the U.S., Canada and Mexico were in NORTH AMERICA, then absolutely...yes, they are.

The other 8% of the content could come from anywhere. My guess would be probably Germany, though.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    And since they are in the same North America where the USA is located, they are part of America and thus do not need to be annexed by the USA.
         How does the term "America" indicate only the United States?
         How long before there will be no vehicle assembled outside North America? Most "Japanese" brands have most models now assembled in North America.
         I feel it is sad there are no Toyota sedans as attractive as the Chrysler PT Cruiser.
  • Options
    discovered about the PT is that while many people love the looks of it not as many know how useful it is. I can't think of many Sedans that are a cross between a sedan and a wagon and does as good a job of being both. Yes, I have the pin striping, duel exhaust and custom color matching bumpers but I can still use the PT for light trips to the DYI store. This has turned out to be one of my favorite vehicles to date.
  • Options
    You left out something: And fun at the same time.

Our PT GT is similar to my old 626 GT Turbo 5 door from years ago in that it is versatile and fun to drive. I wish there was a grand touring luxury package available with a bigger gas tank, power memory seats and mirrors, automatic climate control, back-up sensors, and more sound insulation.
This discussion has been closed.