Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part XI

Comments

• Options
    zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    are we surprised? they are selling as fast as mc donalds sells hamburgers.fgaydos i saw article
    in todays philadelphia inquirer as well.
  • Options
    kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    That's not surprising to me at all.
    We all know why we are buying it, it's a steal!
    Europe has it , and we have it here in America.
    I'm wondering, Is it available for sale in Asia and Australia?
    If Honda is selling about 10 different versions of their Civic's, why Ford can't offer to us more versions of Focus: 170 hp zx3svt,220 Focus TypeR, cabrio ,4WD ,etc.
  • Options
    i believe the other versions are just around the
    corner given the obvious success of the focus.
    i can envision it now.the beauty part will be if ford
    can hold the line on pricing as one moves up the
    line.they will obliterate the competition,just as
    i thought they had with the zx3 + sedan models.
    it will be interesting to see how the competition responds to fords new reputation with the import buyer.
  • Options
    fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Is that story online?
    If so I would be interested in reading about it.

Just returned from Reading Pa. and my breaks only start making noise after I've been on the road for about 30 minutes. Weird.
  • Options
    maynard7maynard7 Member Posts: 16
    I just saw the navy blue ZX3 with dark tint on the hatch window & on the rear two windows & it was the hottest looking car I've ever seen. I've got a silver ZX3 & wonder if I should do it. Has anyone seen a silver with tint?
  • Options
    superf22superf22 Member Posts: 54
    the reason they don't want to make a huge deal out of the fact that the focus is selling well is because of the same reason I didn't want to buy a civic...it's boring to drive the same car everyone else is. I read somewhere that honda sells over 350,000 civics a year in the states. don't get me wrong civics are good cars, but I for one enjoy driving something new, different, and bit unknown...it feels good to be outside the crowd.
  • Options
    superf22superf22 Member Posts: 54
    I've got 20% on all side windows and 15% on the rear, I found that's the darkest possible without breaking the state law. mine is silver and it looks beyond awesome. I recommend it. it really enhaces the looks of the car, plus I had it with people staring at me, well not at me at the car, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
  • Options
    hkoenen2hkoenen2 Member Posts: 70
    pccleveland2 and vadp

I first noticed the whining noise in the transmission when decelerating from 40 to 35 mph. At first I thought is was the tires but the noise stops when you shift into neutral. At this point I get the noise at higher speeds as well whenever I decelerate. Ford has a service bulletin out on this, the dealer had to call HQ to see how to fix it.
  • Options
    drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    Got my car back after a week. Wow, the replaced clutch master cylinder makes the car drive better then it ever did. the clutch and stick both feel more firm and responsive. I have to retrain myself to the feel of the clutch. Glad to have it back.
  • Options
    tint is a must!
  • Options
    pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    hkoenen2,
    My noise is still there in neutral, plus the speed is when around 30 mph or lower. It sounds kinda like the little machines in the movie "Batteries Not Included", or like a hand operated eggbeater. Not real loud not not so noticeable with the window up.
    Pat
  • Options
    zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    S/Bullet:
    Thank you for Synth. Oil advice ("don't switch to it if you have already 50K on engine"). I Printed your answer and gave it to him.

zx3Beast:
    Right on. I agree there will be a ton of different Z models, in the future. This was the first year for Focus, and Ford first wanted to find out if they had a winner. Well, with 1 Meg sold -- they "have their answer". Heh, heh.

Drebe:
    Glad to hear you like your new clutch, and best o'luck. It does have a great clutch-feel, doesn't it?

GLASS YOU CAN'T SEE THROUGH:
    I don't like "window-tinting" on cars, even tho it looks nice. I wish it was outlawed across USA.

A man wears a badge n'gun. To protect us. (That's you and me, the normal people). He has a wife and children.
    He goes up to car, he can't see who's inside or what they're doing as he approaches.....
    the window rolls down and the last thing he sees in this life is the snout of the gun just before a slug blows half his face off.

Later, fellow officers visit his wife to break the news as gently as they can.
    She opens door, they see the kids behind her, she looks at the officer's faces -- and instantly knows. Her nightmare has come true, her Joe won't be coming home.

Sure, statistics are heavily against it happening. But it CAN happen. It loads one more tiny "straw of fear" on a cop's back -- the "fear-burden" he has to carry daily. Think about it.
    Our Cops have enough dangers they MUST endure, without adding to them --just 'cause Tinted glass "looks so cool" or "helps on A/C".

If I were a Cop, you can bet your a-- that any "dark-windows" cars I approach, the driver is NO WAY going to get any breaks (even if he's only 2mph over speed limit, or only "barely kissed" that white double-line divider in the road).
    No, not even if the driver is good old Santa Claus himself. Not one single break. I'll be LOOKING to ticket him.
    And don't think this isn't being widely done already. Not everywhere but widely. Later...
    zx3
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Even though it is as hot as blazes here in TX, I don't tint my car windows either - but mostly because I'm a purist and don't care for the way it looks, and the way most tints scratch and bubble as they get older. As far as police dealing with the approach of a dark tinted car, I don't know if it is a policy, but many police around here will get on their loudspeaker and request that all the occupants of a stopped car step out of the car before the officers will approach it.
  • Options
    My fiancee's ZX3 has been slowly losing PS fluid for about two weeks. No strange noises, and no abnormal feel to the steering - just a fluid level slightly below the MIN mark on the reservoir when cold. I topped it up, and noticed it had gone back down after about 10 days. Time to investigate.

I put the car up on ramps, and found what I was looking for: both rubber steering rack end boots show traces of seeping fluid - 1900 miles, and what appear to be defective steering rack seals - very discouraging. I will report further once I've called the dealer and spoken to the service folks and parts people (might as well ask if they have the parts on hand!)
  • Options
    Thanks for the repost PC.
    However, I wonder at Fords logic in not tooting their horn about one million sales. Go figure.
  • Options
    powerslidepowerslide Member Posts: 48
    Ford is deliberately being quiet on the sales issue. What gen-xer wants a car thet everyone else has? It's just marketing, go figure. I think there is a whole untapped market for older buyers (like me?) who don't like large SUVs or the current crop of small cars because of cramped seats, sloppy handling or uncomfortable ride. C'mon Ford, blow your horn. Speaking of horn, what's with the Focus horn. I laughed when I first used it. I hope they change it on my 2001 or I think I'll have to go horn shopping when I get it.
  • Options
    i agree with zx3 about tint with all the reasons he posted,well put.
    silver-speaking of leaks,did you discover anything regarding the missing washer fluid as well?
    powerslide- horn may be defective,mine was funky
    sounding as well. i had it replaced under warranty.
    drebe- glad you had clutch fixed.
  • Options
    zx3beast, I am still pouring washer fluid into both of our ZX3s. I recall another poster saying his car also "drank the stuff". No sign of a leak in either car, and neither of us use our washers - I have to guess it is evaporating due to the underhood temps (baby, its hot in there!). Anyone else notice this loss?

Re: wimpy horn, yeah, it doesn't inspire much confidence. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Hella horn set available from several different vendors; Griot's Garage is one of them. Make your ZX3 sound like an S class Benz :)
  • Options
    focusfanfocusfan Member Posts: 11
    Look at page 5 of the accessory catolog. The sangria hatch has a longer rear spoiler. This is not offered in the catolog. What's with that?
  • Options
    gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    I agree, the horn is wimpy :)

I'd like to get one of those horns that sound like an ocean liner, you know, that real deep sound? They only cost about $50, but I don't think there's any room for it under the hood. I'll have to check next time I put it on the ramp...

Gabe
  • Options
    silver- it must be excessively hot to cause that kind of evaporation.i never use fluid or check it
    for that matter.havent checked it since purchase in
    jan.horn sound was weak till i had dealer replace it.sounded like it had static,much like a bad loud-
    speaker.your fiances power steering fluid leaks do
    not sound cool at all.fortunately,you are able to
    do earlier diagnosis.cheap or faulty springs, seals
    nuts,bolts,screws,washers etc., can wreak havoc at
    any time.a weak link in the chain will render the
    entire assembly useless.im ready to get back on my soap box about about sourced parts again.
  • Options
    norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    I wrote a few weeks ago about a smell of oil in the passenger compartment after the oil was changed (4.5 quarts!) at a quicky lube shope (FL2005 filter used). After about 1000 miles, I still smell oil....very little. In the engine compartment, I see no traces of oil.

How could this smell be entering the car? I can only imagine that some oil may have dripped out as a result of the removial of the horizontal oil filter. Access is impossible without a lift. Still I see no oil at all.

I would appreciate some help.

Other than that, with 5000 miles on my green machine...all is well (light rattle in the vertical post/headliner is still with me....nothing serious, but somewhat annoying).

zgrrrl asked why shifting in neutral with an automatic while moving...my answer....as I recall, in all cars I have owned is the instruction in the owner's manual not to do it. (I am not a mechanic and so I do not know the official reason).

Perhaps it is because if you are driving 30 mph and shift it in neutral while going down a hill and while gliding you can speed up to 60 mph. If you then shift it into drive, this will cause additional burden on the transmission because you will be in the wrong gear.

I invite a better explanation.

ND
  • Options
    norwaydoug,
    It is possible that when removing the oil filter, that they are not getting filter into a upright position and spilling oil down back side of motor; also spilling oil when adding new oil. In changing my own oil, I found this very easy to spill in both situtations. In fact, in adding new oil, found it best to use a funnel. Like in many of the newer vehicles today, one has to be careful not to spill oil. Oil where it doesn't belong in a vehicle can cause many problems, one being the smell of burning oil.
    Pat
  • Options
    bstreckebstrecke Member Posts: 5
    finally got mine (ordered may 6) on july 14th. love it!!

autumn orange, auto, power windows and locks, abs,remote locking, med graphite interior, cruise, tilt and telescoping, air, etc, everything but side airbags.

couple of comments:
    1. with air on, fan on high seems awfully loud, not noisy just loud.
    2. when inserting key into ignition you have to hold key in different position than with most cars.
    3. where can i get a focus accessory catalog? all dealers around me are out.

bill
  • Options
    How can it just evaporate if the circuit containing the fluid is closed by the cap? The cap is on all the time and you are not using the fluid. How can it just evaporate from the closed circuit?
  • Options
    Ok you obviously dont live in the tropics. In Florida, tint is a must. No one said anything about super black tint. The sun destroys the interior of cars down here. Believe me I will do everything in my power to protect the interior, just as all of you are making a big deal about washing and waxing the exterior. My ZX3 came with tinting from the dealer, if it hadn't that would have been the first "mod" I would have done. I also put a sun visor in my front window.
    I don't think any one enjoys getting dressed for work and then getting into a car thats been sitting in the sun, you will be drenched in sweat before you even turn on the car. Even with tint the car is like a sauna and its hard to even breath the air. States set legal limits on tinting and police do ticket those who go too dark. Now tell me why the police have to give drivers a hard time for putting the clear tail lights on thier cars when those same lenses are standard on car made by Lexus.
  • Options
    kdominczak, the washer system isn't exactly air-tight. The cap just snaps on, and there is a pin hole vent to allow the tank to empty normally - otherwise the pump would be working against a vacuum. I really don't know where all the fluid is going...
  • Options
    rgarnerrgarner Member Posts: 37
    Can anyone recommend some ramps that I can use to change my oil? I recall a posting somewhere back in the archives, but I don't want to spend the time to go back and check. Thanks...

Getting ready for my long road trip beginning Fri. Just spent way too much money assembling a roadside assistance kit (though if it's something serious I'll be stuck in the cold). Oh well, I guess I little money is worth the sanity.

If anyone sees a black ZX3 with a Yakima roof rack, NC tags, on the side of the road anywhere on the East Coast over the next 3 weeks, stop and say "hi", and maybe you can help me fix my Z.
  • Options
    skater4skater4 Member Posts: 35
    I finally got around to really washing my car this weekend, and noticed about an inch of water in the driver's side fog light when I was finished! Not cool, and it shorted out the light. I think I remember someone else posting about water in a headlight...

Plus, my interior hatch release button still doesn't work, though the dealership swore up and down it worked fine when they tested it. Other than that foglight, my little z seems to be pretty watertight. No soggy passenger side floor as yet. I hope the light is the only leak I have.

Richmond is becoming Land of the ZX3. I see them everywhere, which I think is pretty cool. We have good taste down here! Happy driving to all; I can't believe I'm coming up on my 10,000 mile service...
  • Options
    tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    SB and others have repeatedly suggested Rhino Ramps. You can pick them up at Wal-Mart pretty cheap.

(By the way..."rhinocerote" {pronounced rie-noss-er-OH-tee} is technically the plural of rhinoceros. Just thought I'd throw in a little fun-fact for the day =])
  • Options
    I think you guys must be washing your back window to much, trying to get the guy behind you. Well, really, maybe the container leaks. I don't run out that much. The container seems to be buried in the fender well, so I don't think your loosing it from evaporation. Can't see where the fluid comes out to go into tube. Maybe it is on bottom (which is unusual, but I would not put it past designers today) and leaks there. Are you sure you are putting it in the right place? Drivers side, half way between back of hood and headlight at edge of fender. Cute picture, in yellow, of windshield wiper area, with yellow drops of water squirting on it, on the cap. Well, I've seen people put it into the anti-freeze overflow before. Not saying you guys would.
    Pat
  • Options
    Skater4,
    Did you know that your drivers door has to be opened for the hatch release to work. Some others have discovered that was the only problem.

Oh, on the foglights. Just the gasket. Even mustangs sometimes come thru with the gasket in back of light misaligned, allowing water to enter. Most likely a new gasket will fix you right up.

Happy ZX3'en

Pat
  • Options
    zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    Got a Focus package Friday....was excited because A. I wasn't expecting it and B. I thought it was one of the chrome on the go Foucs coffee mugs y'all got for your recall (the box looked about that size).

I open it up and find a MONSTER watch. A Casio Baby-G. I am not complaining really, but the thing is....HUGE and....errr....pink. Sure I am a female and all, but, I never wear the color.

Guess it's time to start. :)

It was a nice surprise.

p.s. there was also a cardboard picture frame Ford's letter suggested you shellac the thing onto the dash - ok it's just velcro - but this being my first new car - I am not sticking anything to it. :)
  • Options
    Yes, I'm sure I know where the washer fluid goes ;-) I have NEVER used either the front or back washer jets, yet the fluid disappears. The blue dye they put in the solution usually makes it easy to spot leaks, since it stains the plastic reservoir container, but I can't see a stain or trace of a leak - and neither could the dealer. Right now, I find it to be more amusing than anything, since I don't use the washers.

Now, the power steering leak in my fiancee's car doesn't amuse me in the least :-(
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I agree with you completely! The other posters must live in a nice cool climate. I live in Florida also and life without dark window tint would be terrible. My new Accent came with no tint whatsoever and everytime I got in the car, the steering wheel would burn my hand bad enough that I couldn't grip the wheel even lightly for the first five minutes or so. This made driving difficult. Not to mention trying to put on the seatbelt without burning your fingers or waiting for 10 minutes worth of driving before the temperature in the car cools down to where you aren't sweating. Tint is the only thing that saves your sanity living in this godawful hot state. After I got my windows tinted (admittedly slightly illegal at 15%), the steering wheel and seatbelt no longer burns my hands and the A/C is better able to cope with the lower temperatures. I also don't have to worry about the interior plastics fading and cracking, like they did in my 84 GTI because the windows didn't get tint till the car was already 10 years old. I did not buy the tint for looks, though it did make the car look sportier.
    Anyway, it would be ludicrous if they banned window tint like ZX3 was saying or gave you a ticket just out of spite for having dark tint. How stupid; why should I suffer in order to make a cop feel more comfortable approaching me (who you may only see a couple times in your entire lifetime)? I'm not about to lower my comfort levels for a cop or anyone else. If he doesn't feel comfortable, than he needs to have the driver step out of the car, as was mentioned earlier. I, on the other hand, am nice enough to roll down my window before the cop gets up to me, so he can already see me plain as day. The cops down here are pretty lenient in regards to tint, so I don't think I will have to worry about getting a ticket for it. People often get away with pure limo tint, so 5% below legal is a minor offense. Anyway, lets try not to be so narrowminded in regards to why people get tint. It really makes a big difference in hot, humid climates like the deep south.
  • Options
    rgarnerrgarner Member Posts: 37
    I also recieved a watch in the mail this weekend, a huge gold "full size" G-shock watch. Gold's not really my color, and the watch is freakin' huge, but I'm wearing it for some God awful reason.

When I opened the box in front of my dad and aunt they immediately started, "Does that thing have a direct connection to Ford roadside assistance?," "When you break down at least you'll know the time." etc, etc, etc...I've become the subject of jokes in my family...argghh.

Man, looking at it, this thing is huge...

Ohhh, and the picture frame, I couldn't resist putting my doggie in the photo frame (maybe one day I'll have a pic. of a girl to go there :). Btw, why aren't any girls following my car, huh? (save the comments!)
  • Options
    silver bullet, a pin hole in the cap is the only way out then. If the fluids are containing any alcohol or ammonia they can evaporate and a pin hole could be just enough of an opening for evaporation.
    You could do a test , try filling it up with water, which should not evaporate as fast as washer fluid. If you still see that water is disappearing as fast as the washer fluid did then there must be a leak somewhere.
    Does it makes sense ?
  • Options
    zgrrl,

When did you buy your Foci? I have had mine since April 28 and I am anxiously awaiting my G-Shock!

Patcleveland,

I think you are right about that hatch release scenario. We certainly become knowledgeable about our foci!

The million foci article is on-line in today's www.auto.com

I also noticed that in www.autonews.com that 181,000 ford foci have been made in the USA since Jan 1-July 21. That's a lot isn't it!? I do not know how many foci were built from August '99 til Dec '99. It also suggests that good deals should be able to be made on the Foci for those of you who are in the market. I hope the parts situation gets better. I am interested to hear how silver_bullets experience will be to get the power steering leak repaired. Good luck with that silver. It will be fixed soon and your fiance will be driving again!!

ND
  • Options
    tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    I saw that someone was noting that there weren't as many posts here as usual. Did anyone else have major problems getting to these discussions for the last 4 or 5 days? I couldn't get in at all till about 4:30 today.
  • Options
    I think people haven't written as much lately because it's summer and everybody is out driving to interesting destinations, having vacations and having fun rather than writing posts!

At least I hope so.

ND
  • Options
    What's going on with your Focus? Is it being fixed after the vandalism? Write a note when you get a chance!

ND

(my last note of the day...I promise!!)
  • Options
    Well, I totally wasn't expecting the watch, I had no idea you got one with the Focus....like I said it's huge and it certainly has more features on it than I will ever use (looked it up on the 'net and apparently this particular one is very popular with the High School crowd because of it's ability to store so many phone numbers) It seems a bit cumbersome to me but it certainly gives me the secure knowlege should it ever fall off my wrist whilst climbing the Sears Tower it'll certainly resitst the shock....or should I go scuba diving I can be sure to time my oxygen...love that "beam me up scottyness to it"

and to answer ND, I got my Focus a month ago today exactly (6/24). I now have 3200 miles on it. (yikes there goes the warrenty).

And yes, the brakes still squeak, my next oil change I will get at 4000 miles this weekend and they said they'd replace the pads if it was still happening at the next oil change....

We'll see.
  • Options
    Buy a Baby G-shock get a ZX3 free.

:)
  • Options
    Wow! I am giving ND a run for his money here...

Just a couple things guys.

1. Silly question but never done it before. How can I scotch guard my seats? Buy a can of the stuff and just spray it on? Anyone?

2. I am totally frustrated because the ONLY places to park on my street are aligned with tress that drip some sort of clear sap that gets all over my Z. I spend hours cleaning it then this happens, and I am afraid what it's doing to the paint. The only other place to park is the next block over but I am afraid to let the car out of my site. Anyone? bueller? Bueller?

Thanks, per usual you guys ROCK.
  • Options
    k - I'll test your theory next time the fluid "disappears". Maybe I'll temporarily seal off the vent hole and see what happens.
    ND - luckily, the slow seepage is just that - slow. The reservoir goes from the MAX mark to the MIN mark (cold) in about a week. No noises from the steering, and everything feels fine, so she's just driving it for now. I just have her check the fluid every other day. I have the feeling Ford will take forever to get the parts and fix the problem, so we aren't in a big hurry to take it in.
  • Options
    Yes, you too can learn to Scotchguard your seats. I'd remove them from the car (its easy, just a few bolts) so you can give them a nice, even coat of spray without getting it all over the rest of the interior (or yourself). Re: tree sap - buy a car cover. The sap can be more than a nuisance - depending on the kind of tree, the sap may permanently damage your paint. Pine trees are bad news, for instance. The custom fit cover I use came from Covercraft via Big Sky Car Cover Co. in MT - the NOAH barrier fabric keeps my car spotless between washings, and I park outdoors under a carport.
  • Options
    I sprayed my seats with scotch guard in the car and it works great.
    Seems like a lot of work removing the seats. If you are worried about overspray just place a towel down where you want to protect. No biggie.
    Quick and easy.
  • Options
    hondattitudehondattitude Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know the specs for the headlight bulbs and what size PIAA's would fit in there...
  • Options
    really isn't that big a deal. I removed mine so I could test fit an aftermarket Sparco seat, and it took about 10 minutes per side to remove and replace the seats. Do what's comfortable for you, but I wouldn't remove the seats if you have seat mounted airbags - disconnecting the connectors might set a fault code in the airbag monitoring circuit.
  • Options
    mattozzi_ajmattozzi_aj Member Posts: 24
    Hi all! it's been quite some time since i've posted anything- Has anyone out there had an sunroof installed on there zx3? I'm taking mine in tomorrow to have one put in-is there anything in particular i should know?
This discussion has been closed.