Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part XI

Comments

• Options
    drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    It is not necessary to have the drivers door open for the relase to work. The door just needs to be unlocked. I know this for a FACT! Also it will not work if the car is moving. lngtonge18) thank you, glad to see someone agrees with me I had forgoten about the seat belts I have know people to get serious burns from the metal on the seat belts. As bad as touching a finger to a hot stove element. Not tinting your car in florida is a big mistake you might as well pour bleach on your seats and take a hammer to the dash and save time.
  • Options
    maynard7maynard7 Member Posts: 16
    I got that watch too, but mine was Aqua green. I sold it on Ebay for $50. I kept the picture frame & other stuff that came in the box. That watch *was* too big for me too, being a lanky guy.

About the washer fluid...I can't even see where it goes after you pour it into the tiny upper part of the container. How do you guys know that you're running out? It the thing stops squirting, I wonder if the tank is full, but the intake hose isn't positioned properly within the tank. I bought my ZX3 in November, and still haven't run out of fluid.
  • Options
    superf22superf22 Member Posts: 54
    I like that idea of a free zx3 with the purchase of a g-shock, I'd have a couple! a different color for the mood of the day, that'd be great. I got my watch exactly a month after I got the zx3. funny thing, and I swear it's true: I'm in the air force so a g-shock goes hand to hand with the uniform and the personality of a member of the best air force in the world. secondly, a g-shock is a must have for a diver and mountain biker, I've hit mine several hundreds of times and it just keeps ticking. my old one was running out of batteries and the "illuminator" feature was not working, got in the car to go buy a new battery, so on my way out of the parking lot I stopped by my mail box only to find a package from ford...with a brand new, black g-shock! haha, saved me a couple of bucks. my z's working great no problems at all.

gotta go drive...
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Either it is leaking/evaporating, or the ZX3 has the largest reservoir I've ever (not) seen. The filler neck is all that's visible, since Ford put the actual reservoir in some dead space within the fender. Underhood real estate is getting scarce (and hot), so automakers are getting creative - several Chrysler products put the battery in the wheel arch area, what a pain. How do I know its empty? Wellllll, because the neck empties out and I add fluid to bring the level back up... to date, I've poured in about 4 gallons of fluid, and have never used the washers once! Too weird.
  • Options
    zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    silver- this is a mystery worth investigating.i
    will begin my search today.it is weird.
  • Options
    gabegarwickgabegarwick Member Posts: 127
    The part number for PIAA replacement bulbs that fit the focus. This if for the Superwhites...
    part # 15660.

Gabe
  • Options
    Hey pcleveland,
    You said the hatch will only open with the driver's door ajar? I must disagree, mine opens as long as the car is stopped and the doors are unlocked. (I think this is how it's supposed to work?)

Gabe
  • Options
    Well, it says in the owner's manual that the resevoir in the ZX3 holds 4.2 quarts. I've found that if you run the system completely, it takes 1.5 gallons or so to fill and prime the system.

I use it all the time, so maybe I don't give it time to leak out? :)
    Let's see, I've had it 4 months and put in 5 gallons I think...

cheers,
    Gabe
  • Options
    skater4skater4 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for your input on my hatch release. I've tried every possible configuration of doors locked/unlocked, engine off/on, etc., and I still can't get the release button to work more than 20% of the time. There's got to be a loose wire or something. Also glad to know that my foglight leak is a minor repair. Don't know what I'd do without my Z!

Washer fluid: I use my sprayers like a crazy person, being obsessed with having a clear windshield. I've probably poured in 4 gallons and haven't noticed any leaking, but of course I use it up pretty fast. It does amaze me, though, that I can pour almost an entire jug of the stuff into the reservoir. That must be one gigantic holding tank!

Silver bullet, do you have a phone number or something for the car cover people? I think I"d like to try that out, as I live a pine-tree planted apt. complex, and I'm always picking pine needles and pinecone bits out of my car. Any info you have would be appreciated!
  • Options
    pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Gotta check this out. I always thought the door had to be opened. Hate to admit that I'm wrong, but very well could be.

Pat
  • Options
    Gabe,
    Your right!!! All this time I thought the door had to be opened. Can't stand admitting this, but your right. I'm wrong. Something that I learned a number of years back, admit it right away.

Pat
  • Options
    tuner1tuner1 Member Posts: 44
    I received del. of my zx3 in may and have yet to refill the washer fluid,something is definently wrong.I had my car tinted right away,it keeps the interior much cooler and helps prevent the interior from sun damage.Just make sure when a cop pulls you over that you roll all your windows down.Now for the watch,I received it 5wks after delivery.
  • Options
    trevatreva Member Posts: 39
    Ok, so I received my G-Watch last week, and if my reckoning is correct, combine my blue one with the black, gold , green and pink ones mentioned by you folks, we could reap a tidy profit on eBay,
    "The ZX3 Summer Collection", or something.....

treva

(PS : do they really think we're gonna fix a photo to our dashboard with a piece of velcro ?!)
  • Options
    zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    anyone want to trade a pink one for say...black....blue...anything more subtle? :)
  • Options
    Gabe,
    Ya got me. It's even in the owners manual, and I'm the one who keeps saying read the manual. Guess I better get off here and read the manual some more. Always room to learn something new.
    Pat
  • Options
    norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Dear zx-3 opwners,

As we already know, the crash test result was not too good for rear passengers on a side impact, however, it is in today's autonews.

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/ptfocus725.htm

ND
  • Options
    norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    That press release is wrong for the focus. In http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/2000Cmpt.html it states that it is only the rear passengers, but in the autonews press release it states the front passenger gets only a 1 star when it is really 4 star in a side impact collision.

Check it out.

ND
  • Options
    E-mail them. Let them know of their bad press and ask them to rerun the story, not just run a correction.

Their e-mail address is: autonews@crain.com

Thats what I did. Beside it's old news for the Focus and current news for the PT Cruiser.
  • Options
    bless his little heart -
    re: removal of seats...for silverbullet 10 mins each...

the majority of us 1 hour 45 mins each after I dust off the tools looking for the proper wrench, strip the bolt, scrape my finger on some piece of metal, take time out to curse the bolt, throw out my back in the process of lifting the seat out....

Well, maybe not that bad - I am capableof doing things on my own no problem, but GETTING there for me, is a lot diff than it is for most even though the end result is the same :)
  • Options
    zgrrrl,
    It would take me that long just to find the right wrench. Would get fed up looking and end us using a cresent (adjustable) wrench. Everytime I get everything put in its right place in the garage, it lose the tool I need.
    Pat
  • Options
    tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    ...is wrenching my back while trying to remove the seats from my car.
  • Options
    Okay, I surrender... but it really isn't all that hard to remove them. Most "normal" people would just Scotchguard them in the car - guess I'm kind of picky about doing jobs "my way". Zgrrrl, go ahead and spray the seats in the car, just watch that overspray :)

If you get the chance, take a tour of an auto assembly plant. You'll be amazed at how quickly things go together - and you'll have a much better idea of how easy it can be to take things apart! Quite an eye-opening experience.
  • Options
    fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    You really made me smile today. 'Auto assembly plant'?? Well yes, they look easy when you have no doors getting in the way or the whole car raised up so you do not have to bend over. Plus, as mentioned, they have all the right tools and know how to use them.
    I like my towel method better, I'll be finished before you even find the socket wench.:>)
  • Options
    jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    I'm glad the Auto News story included a photo of the PT Crusier getting bashed rather then the Focus. It would be too sad to see a ZX3 being abused like that. The PT looks rather nice with it's glass flying about.

Yeah zgrrrl, be careful not to get any overspray on the carpet. Musen't accidently protect it too. Ok, I'm not sure what it does to plastics, and I'm being a wise guy.

It seems like I recently read where some awful health of environmental issue has been raised over Scotchguard. The story made it sound like the stuff was going to become as scarce as R-12 real soon. Was I hallucinating again, or does any one else recall seeing this?
  • Options
  • Options
    fgaydos - I never said removing the seats was quicker than spraying in the car, it just happens to be the better way to do the job ;-) I've had to clean interiors where Scotchguard overspray got all over the windows, console, and dash - not a fun (or quick) job.

Say, where can I meet one of those socket wenches you mentioned... :)
  • Options
    drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    we are falling into the trap again, watch, femur, scotchguard, wrench. Argh
  • Options
    focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    Well i have had 4300 trouble free miles, and still love my car. I have already put a K&N filter on it, and my ventvisors are coming in tomorrow. I hate opening the window and having all the water go onto my arm and the inside door, especially with all the rain that we have had lately here in NY. I still cant get over how well this thing corners, and the fact that I can fit 2 Mountain bikes in their easily is definetly a plus. I have found this car to be a magnet, wherever I go, somebody sees my car in the lot and comes in the place to find me. Thats also a plus when the good looking girls find me ;-)
  • Options
    to clean - silver bullet, is it true or rumor? ...
    just kidding!
  • Options
    does that k&n filter help at all? I wouldn't expect extra horsepower, not more than 2, maybe? but have you notice a difference in the gas efficiency? thanks for the info.

gotta go drive...
  • Options
    finally we made it back to the top 10 topics! unbelievable how good we can be at talking about scotch guard and g-shock watches!
  • Options
    I'd rather get back to those socket wenches :)

zx3beast, actually I disassemble the car completely each time I wash it - only takes a few hours, and you won't believe how much dirt you find that way ;-)
  • Options
    silver bullet - actually that is a good point you just made.at one point in my much younger years,i
    would take apart as much as my car that i was able.
    seat removal,especially the raise ones in the focus
    is a minor task as you have previously stated.you
    are right,it is incredible how much dirt accumulates in places you normally wouldnt see.it
    always takes less time to do a job right.it takes twice as long when one wants to cut corners.i agree
    with you on seat removal.
  • Options
    rgarnerrgarner Member Posts: 37
    zgrrrl, you must be kidding when you said your watch stores numbers, right? Mine doesn't, as if I would need it, but I don't see how the Baby-g would have more features than the Gorilla-shock. Anyone want to trade their king size G for a gold one? I would prefer black or green.

Tranny Noise part XVI: Manual tranny. Vadp, I think my noise (gear chatter, rollover, what-over) is definitely more noticeable when my car is cold (in the morning, after sitting at work all day, etc.). It seems to go away as the car warms up. I plan on having her checked by a dealer I trust after my vacation.

Life...well, work-sleep-eat, work-sleep-eat, whoa-two weeks of vacation, YIPPIE...

Z' dreamin'
  • Options
    minizx3minizx3 Member Posts: 32
    Yesterday, I was on 1/2 a tank. So I figured I'd fill up. Filled up,took off, sitting in line of drive thru at Micky D's only so notice the gas light on and meter reading "E". So, I tried not to panic but pulled over, turned car off, then restarted and was back on full. What's the deal with that? Anyone else have this problem?

The G thing...it's great in the movie theatre to check time..keep it..it's kinda cool!
  • Options
    rgarner- Re: baby G Yes I am serious when I say it stores numbers - up to something like 40 numbers or maybe even #'s for 40 people 'cause it says to make sure to enter their cell & pager and home #. I don't even know 40 people I'd care to call...but as minizx3 I will keep it (since no one's offered trade).

silver bullet- Hope you don't mind the "poking fun" I think it's great you have faith in the rest of the Z owners to be able to accomplish this stuff on their own.

Better scotch gaurd this weekend....and trust me I would love to remove the seats and "do it right" but I am worried I'd do more damage than good (trust me - it's possible if I am in charge).

I want to make sure there's plenty of time for it to air out - I've never done it - but I don't want to get a DUI for driving all hopped up on scotch guard...

and zx3 beast re: glass removal for cleaning - SO funny.

I am glad you people are so much fun! keeps me checking in...
  • Options
    minizx3 - Yes, the strange gas gauge behavior has been recurring theme. Apparantly it's related to a flakey sensor. You can find a number of mentions of it at http://www.discussion-board.com/clubfocus/
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    minizx3,
    I expereinced the same thing a couple of times.
    Read about this at other forums too.
    As I understand the problem is in the bad fuel sending unit.
    Needle on empty, fill up the gas tank, start the car -- the needle stays in the same spot.
    In order to "fix" it I had to turn off the car then restart.

rgarner,
    that noise really gets me.
    Hope your dealer will be able to solve the problem.
    And hey,
    have a great time on your trip!
  • Options
    well I have not noticed much of anything by way of performance improvement. maybe the throttle response is a tiny bit quicker. As for gas mileage, I am getting the same mileage on regular with the filter then when I used 89 octane with the stock filter. i find that 87 burns very fast, but it has been good with the K&N. If you are really looking for the performance/better mileage, go intake. I made an intake for my old Mercury Topaz (I doubt anyone made one for that car!). It gave me a nice improvement in power and a great gas mileage improvement, and when I used to toast all those civics and crx's I loved the looks on their faces. They would pull up on my quiet grandpa car with k&n stickers, rev their engines, and then when I shot off the line and my intake sounded, they were shocked and by the time i was done with em they felt pathetic. that car was a fun time :-)
  • Options
    Anybody know anything about TSB 99-16? Look on Automatic Transmission pan by driver side tire. Says something about exchange only good thru August 2000.
    Pat
  • Options
    Manual says 87 octane, higher grade is not necessary and to tell you the truth, I have never paid any attention cause I've always driven beaters...

so, thought?
  • Options
    zgrrrl, I've been experimenting with 87 and 89 octane fuel, and have not noticed a difference in power, or how smoothly the car runs. Octane rating for a particular car is a bit like shoe sizes - if size 6's fit you properly, you shouldn't assume size 12's will feel twice as good. Unless a car's engine management system (working along with the engine's knock sensors) is programmed to adjust the timing based on fuel quality, chances are you should just follow what Ford recommends.
  • Options
    catmomcatmom Member Posts: 42
    Anybody know of a simple way to raise the driver's side door about one sixteenth of an inch without taking the hinges off or taking it back to the dealer? The bottom corner of the door (toward the front) slightly rubs the black molding below the door and I fear it will eventually wear the paint off. On the hinges there are some six pointed star screws (?) and I wonder if they have anything to do with height adjustment. Thanks
  • Options
    to some a size 12, may indeed feel twice as good as
    a size six.
  • Options
    I knew I wouldn't get much extra horsepower, like I said maybe 2 which I wouldn't even feel, but i was hoping to at least increase the gas efficiency. I guess I'll just wait to get one when it's time to change the stock filter. thanks for the info.

by the way, I'm going on vacation in two weeks too! sadly I can't bring my little z. I miss her already.
  • Options
    anyone else know anything about gas quality, I've always used 89 or premuim, just because I thought it would help the engine run better. but if it really doesn't make a difference, it will save me a couple of bucks...more money for margaritas on the beach...
  • Options
    Top Ten Ways Gas Stations Are Trying To Keep Customers Happy

10. Buy 10 gallons, get 11th gallon for only $8.50!
    9. Rest room keys now on even bigger cumbersome sticks!
    8. Finally admitting "Ultra" is exact same crap as "Regular"
    7. Want to smoke by the pumps? Go nuts
    6. Allow customers to pay for tank of gas in just 19 easy payments
    5. Kids can jump around in the pit full of old spark plugs
    4. Doesn't paying $40 for gas make you feel sort of like Bill Gates?
    3. Texaco features gas pumped by one of the dorks kicked off "Survivor" island
    2. Many attendants learning to say, "Thank you, dumbass" in Arabic
    1. On request, they'll squeegee you

you see, "ultra" is the same as "regular." and i wouldn't dare doubt dave.
  • Options
    fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    I thought the manual actually says not to use higher octane than 'regular, that it will hurt the engine over time plus you are wasting your money and messing the environment because our engine cannot burn all the extra octanes.
    I believe this was discussed here before.
    Anyone??
  • Options
    i agree,using anything but stated 87 is a total
    waste.thats all this engine needs.
  • Options
    that six star screw u are referring to is called Torx. they come in a range of sizes from T-6 (beeper and cell phone cases) to like t-60 and higher. your best bet is go to the dealer
This discussion has been closed.