Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• silvercelica01silvercelica01 Member Posts: 11
    #599, 39mpg seems really high for a GT-S, especially the auto??? When I first got my GT 5speed I was getting 31, but now that I have 20k miles I am getting around 33-35. I also notice that I get the same mileage whether I am going 65 or 85.

Also, #595, the 2001 Celicas had a recall on the shifter, that may have been related to your experience in the test drive.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    The 2001 had a recall on the shifter? I own a 2001 GTS and haven't heard or gotten anything??? Please advise.
  • alex18talex18t Member Posts: 117
    my GT gets very poor mileage above 4000 rpm or 80 mph. the few times i measured my mileage i drove about 90% city and got 27mpg when i drove the way i want to drive and got 29 when i didnt hold the gears as long. that's pretty good but that's what i would expect from any 1.8 liter engine. thats smaller than a lot of jewelry rappers wear around their necks.
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    Made a typo in #599, I have 2000 GT, not GTS. And I got imporvement only at ~15Kmiles.

Anyone have replaced tires on GT? I got 25K on them and they are almost gone, have to prepare for snow. The Dunlops which it has now does not seem to be general type, are they easy to find? Or better replace with something?
    #603, yes, I got a recall in the mail for a the dealership to tighten the shifter. I don't know the exact wording. I took the car in, they took it in the garage, and had me out in about 25 minutes. They said it was recalled on all 2000 an 2001 GT 5speeds. It was nothing serious, but they said it made the shifter have a lot of play while you were in gear.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Where can I find Euro/Altezza style rear lamps for the 94-99 generation Celica? Has anyone come across clear front lenses for the 4 headlights. I like clear lenses better than the opaque ones. Thank you and Merry Christmas!
    I have just replaced the front tires (Dunlops, 27kmiles, GT auto) with Michelin Pilots. Handling seems to be the same or somewhat better, feels much stickier on bumpy roads. But it makes dramatic difference in road noise - it almost disappeared.
  • snugglezsnugglez Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone driven a 2002 GTS 6-speed yet. I'm looking into buying a sports coupe, and the Celica is currently one of my choices. Although no one has said anything nice about it except for magizines and this discussion, I'm still considering it anyway.
  • n1ck_mn1ck_m Member Posts: 3
    I currently drive a 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S w/ 6sp manual. So far it has been a great little car. I have not had any problems with it, and surprisingly no speeding tickets. Snugglez, I don't know what other cars you are considering, but if you are looking at sport coupes the Celica is a great choice. A recent Consumer Reports article placed the Celica GT-S just behind the WRX and they hated the Acura RSX. I think the Celica is the best looking of the three, too.
    Can someone please provide me with the gearing ratio for the GTS? THx.
    GTS Manual:
    1st: 3.17
    2nd: 2.05
    3rd: 1.48
    4th: 1.17
    5th: 0.92
    6th: 0.73
    Final drive ratio: 4.53
  • cat37cat37 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of any seat covers that actually fit the front seats of a 2001 Celica GT? Previous experience with other cars I have owned resulted in seat covers that did not fit. Toyota says they don't make them for the Celica. I would like to keep the seats in good condition. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Don't sit in them...
    You asked for _any_ suggestion...
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Cloth or leather? If leather, condition them constantly. Especially during hot weather.

Most cloth seats look good for a LONG time nowadays. Take care not to let combs, keys, etc., in your pocket tear the seat when you sit down. Otherwise, they should last a long time.
    Don't worry about seat covers. If you have to decide, I am really impressed with the material of the cloth front seats, buy my back seats look pretty cheap.

Has anybody installed the TRD exhaust??? It says it adds 10hp at the wheels on a GT, which seems awful high for a car with 140 hp.
  • cat37cat37 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for replying. Guess I'll just have to go without. They are cloth seats. I have a job where I work outside and I can get pretty dirty. Also, I had a Honda for 9 years and the seat belt wore out the side of the seat - now don't say don't wear it. It looks as though this one will too - hopefully it will take 9 years to do it. I love this car and just want to keep it looking as nice as I can.
  • cho7819cho7819 Member Posts: 20
    Man... You guys are making my car feel old. I'm thinking about getting a new celica soon, but as for now.. I dont have the money. I wanted to know if you guys know if the 92' Celica ST with a 1.5L engine blows up after a timing belt breakage or not. I wanted to know this because mine just blew one at 250Kmi and I really wanna fix it but if its gunna have the "Interference" and all then i will reconsider!
    -cho7819
    ** Proud owner of a Mitsubishi Galant ES-V6**
  • jrtannurajrtannura Member Posts: 18
    Love my 2000 GT auto... but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a droning type noise at speeds above 65mph? I have the original dunlops. I'm hoping it's just tire noise but it's hard to get a fix on where it is coming from.
    Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    If you don't get a response here soon, you should also try asking your question on our Maintenance & Repair board. To start, here's a Maintenance & Repair discussion (Auto 101) where you can post just about any kind of question. There are a couple of auto techs that frequent that discussion that may be able to offer some feedback.

And of course you also have the option to start up a new Toyata Celica Problems discussion on that board. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    My rear tires (original Dunlops) also make kind of a strange noise (25Kmiles). I just replaced my front ones with Michelin Pilots - road noise is really much lower than before when I had Dunlops in front too, besides they seem to stick better.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    That's great. Normally noise and stickiness are proportional. Must have greater materials to work with nowadays!
    to post #619. Nice to see you both here again. Hope your Celicas are serving you well. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I am interested in reliability #1! Sportiness is great, but I'm not looking for the GT model (insurance will skyrocket). What are they going for?

Dinu
    From the sources I've read, an older (92/93) Celica is statistically more reliable than many other makes/models of the same year. Of course keep in mind that with a 10 yr old used vehicle, you're also dealing with a lot of unknown factors. So in addition to researching reliability..., it's not a bad idea to have a mechanic thoroughly check it out to make sure it's mechanically sound.

As for pricing, have you had a chance to check out Edmunds' Used Vehicle Appraiser? Others here may have more to add. Since pricing varies from region to region, you may also want to let people know what area you'll be making your purchase in. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Always there to help me on my car-buying idea! I will definitely have the car I want checked by a trusted mechanic!

Thanx again,
    Dinu
  • gonkygonky Member Posts: 1
    Please help, I am considering purchasing a 1989 GT and would like some advise / information as to the reliability of this year and any particular points I should look out for when checking it over.
    The cars done 109k starts fine, clean enginge with no knocking or smoke and sounds lovely!!!

Much obliged.

Tim
    I'm hoping someone can help. I've been asking this question yet it seems no one is visiting this board. What other sport coupes are you considering?

I'm also looking at the Integra and MX-3.

Dinu
    Maybe the visitors are all driving new Celica's and don't know anything about cars that are 10+ years old. Just a thought.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    for the 3S-FE motor, you may have the 3S-GE.

THe usual suspects:
    Timing belt, sparks plugs, distributor cap, etc.

Distributor O-rings typically leak on those engines.

Check gear oil or ATF, coolant, air filter, etc..

Get it checked out by an independent mechanic also.
  • bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    Where should I put the bumper sticker on my Celica? I had hoped to not have to use one at all, but my son made the honor roll at the junior high, and I feel I have to exhibit the sticker to support his efforts! I don't really like the idea of putting it on the bumper. I am thinking of putting it on the left rear window, right behind the driver's seat. I never look out that window anyway.

Brenda
    Sound like a good place to me. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • poorboy_179poorboy_179 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into getting an exhaust system installed in my 2000 celica GT Does anyone have any suggestions/advise or links on this?
    Thanks
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    installing a good free-flow muffler from any of the top manufacturers, any of which you can find in Sport Compact Car and other import mags (or at your local speed shop). The benefits are a beautiful sound and appearance, with a small (unnoticeable, really) increase in high-rpm performance.

Any more money spent (on a cat-back, for instance) would accomplish little and cost you more.
    Poorboy, I also want an exhaust for my 01 GT. I heard that the best one is the TRD, they say it isn't too loud, and you should notice between 8-10 hp at the wheels on the GT model. My friend had a Borla on his TA, and it came with plates you can take in and out to adjust the sound and performance... that is a creative idea. I am not too sure if I want to fork out $500 though. If you do decide on an exhaust, keep me informed.
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    is excellent. I have one on my Corolla, and it sounds wonderful. I believe it lists for about $350.
  • asian24sfasian24sf Member Posts: 3
    but a sticker on that tiny window will eliminate what little view a passenger back there might have. it can feel claustrophobic.
  • bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    Let 'em suffer. There's so little leg room back there that a rear-seat passenger is in unhappy case anyway.

Brenda
  • freddi1freddi1 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Folks! My first post here...I'd like to know if anyone feels it's worth getting body work on a 1987 GT hatchback. I bought it new in July of 87 and have 150K on it now. Have kept it maintained mechanically & physcially. Unfortunately, the replacement body parts are rusting away. I now only drive it in the summer (still has that great get up and ZOOM!). I am torn about putting $$ into getting the rusted parts replaced or just keep driving it until it's a skeleton! Interior is in good condition, except for the driver's side rug, which has worn through. Would you let it rust or invest some $$ in it to bring it back to it's former glory?? Thanks for any input & hope you all had a great St. Patrick's Day!
    If you plan on keeping it for another 5 years or more, then yes, replace the rusty panels and get a quick Maaco paint job.
  • ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    If so, just curious how much over invoice/below sticker you paid...
  • freddi1freddi1 Member Posts: 14
    8u6hfd - actually I was planning on holding onto it for another 18 years to give it to my grandson, who is 2 now. ;-) I have always regretted getting rid of my 53 chevy, 55 chevy, 75 & 79 buick regals, my 77 Datsun 510 & especially my 69 VW BUG!! So, I figure maybe it'd be worth keeping it up for him, who knows, it might be worthless, but then again......
  • walter99walter99 Member Posts: 10
    ckiggins - bought an new 2002 Celica GT three weeks ago. Paid $600 over invoice. My wife did the negotiating, after 14 years of marriage she wanted to give it a try. She did a good job. There may have been a little flex left on the dealers side, but not much.
    From Edmunds' Daily Headlines section, here's an article that you may find interesting: Toyota adds wings to 2002 Celica. (This is not a permanent link.) Thanks for your comments.

Revka
    Host
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    I finally got this car from my mother. She bought it new and said I could have it when she got a new car. I never figured she'd have it for 15 years! She did keep it in GREAT condition, though.
    I was trying to find more info about the car. Like how many were built, or who converted them the drop tops? Another thing is, will the 3SGE engine drop in (without major mods, or what has to change?). I'd like to replace the 3SFE, as it's got 145k miles, and kind'a under powered. Anybody know of a good site for these cars (86-89)?
  • lesterinindylesterinindy Member Posts: 6
    I have noticed that my Celica sometimes is a little hard to start. This morning it almost did not start. I wonder if anyone has had this problem. Also would it make any sense that on Sunday(last day I started it) I turned on the engine for only a few seconds to move it forward in the garage. Car was cold at the time. Could I have flooded the engine? Also has there been any service bulletins on starting problems. Thanks Les
    Hi joffficer- "will the 3SGE engine drop in (without major mods, or what has to change" You should also try asking (copy/paste) your question this new discussion Maintenance and Repair discussion: Toyota Celica Engine. Mr. Shiftright may have some feedback to offer. Good luck.

Hi lesterinindy- "2000 GT starting problems". Sorry to hear about your vehicle problem. You can also check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if there are any related TSBs. Good luck and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host
  • missp1missp1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 GT has already had the transmission replaced. I bought the car brand new and still owe around $15,000 on it. You can imagine how angry I was when I picked the car up from a basic oil change and learned that the transmission was bad. It was replaced by the local Toyota dealership and was fully covered by the powertrain warranty. My dilemma is that I generally have a bad feeling about the car. I am constantly watching the tac and listening to the engine. Now I want to get rid of the car before the warranty runs out. I am torn between trusting Toyota again or trying another manufacturer. Overall, I loved the car before this problem. Has anyone else experienced the transmission problem or other major defects?
    The 3S-FE and 3S-GE are siblings (same block). The 3S-GE should drop in without a problem. You'll end up needing a new ECU, and you might want to replace the transmission with a rebuilt one (it's not about incompatibility issues, it's age issues).
  • joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    like power steering pump, etc?