Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    Well, there is moisture in the vehicle. It has to be removed somehow. Just evaporating it won't do very much. Eventually you will have 100% humidity in your vehicle if you don't remove the moisture. The AC is a good way of doing this, and pumping in fresh air from the outside is a good way as well. If the outside air is humid though, then it's pointless to draw it in. NY shouldn't have that problem this time of year, but I wouldn't know. Bluesubie is right, if you think it's an issue, take it to the dealer for servicing.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My windows in my trooper fog up in NYC often in the winter if I don't run the A/C compressor, depending on the weather of course. Same goes for my XT6. I'd run it with the compressor and see if that fixes it, if it does, then I'd say that is the problem.

-mike
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Does anyone have pics of an OBS with leather? I heard it's available for $1000. I don't like the standard material in the OBS one bit.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    It's not available as a factory option so it's aftermarket, most likely.

-Dennis
  • Options
    celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    Burns: Whoooops! I'm even farther south than you!! I guess I'm used to being outnumbered by those northern Subie fans. Sorry, didn't mean to give you an apoplectic fit or anything! ;)

Lisa: Try turning your vent switch all the way to the right. Even with the A/C button off, cool air will come thru the defrost vents in the front. And use your rear window defrosst button to turn on the defrosters on the rear windows.

From the manual it states: 1. Set the air inlet selection lever to fresh air. 2. Set the air flow control dial to defrost (all the way to the right). 3. Turn the temperature control dial all the way to the right. 4. Set the fan speed control dial to the highest speed.

It also states: If you vehicle is equipped with A/C, when the defrost position is selected, the air conditioner automatically operates regardless of the position of the air conditioner button.
    NOTE: Warm air will also come out from the right and left air outlets. To stop warm air flow from these outlets, turn the knob in the center of these round outlets clockwise to shut off flow.

Nice system, eh? Cool air comes out on the windshield while warm air continues to come out the side vents so you don't freeze. This is in your manual on pg. 4-5 under "Heater operation--Defrosting or defogging windhshield.

Here's a dandy hint for those in the south: On days when it's not warm enough to run the A/C, but a little stuffy inside, turn the vent switch all the way to the right and shut off those side vents. Leave the A/C button off. You can use #1 on the fan switch or leave it off entirely, and you will have just enough cool air coming in the windhsheild defrosters to be comfortable.

Whew! Nuff' said...
  • Options
    lisabufflisabuff Member Posts: 13
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.. I took it to the dealer last night and everything seems to be working on it fine.. they also went over the AC thing.. new to me cause Ive never had a car that did this before and never considered running the AC in the winter.. but I guess now I have too! Now all I have left is to figure out the meaning of life and I'll be all set!
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    The answer is 42. The difficulty is finding the question to which that is the answer. :-)

Ross

PS Today's quiz: Who understands the reference?
  • Options
    No idea. Anything to do with Confucious (since today is Chinese New Year)? :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    THHGTTG

Next question...

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    By Douglas Adams. A series of 4 books and also a movie(s?). Worth reading or renting.

(Sorry, I had to spoil the fun and let them know).
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Ross, you should know better than to write jokes in base 13! Shame on you.
  • Options
    Ok, I remember the book but never read it. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    Actually it was a trilogy [sic] of five books.

I can't seem to find the Vogon translation version in my used book store however....

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Bingo. You get the gold stars on the forehead for today. :-)

The series (5 part trilogy! - right) was made into a BBC radio drama and later a BBC television series. Both excellent IMHO. BTW Douglas Adams died quite recently (2001 I think).

Ross
  • Options
    ...from a heart attack. Only 49 too; very sad.
  • Options
    Actually he died on May 11, '01. The funeral was held on September 17.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Wait a minute..the answer is 42?? I always thought the answer was green jello.. hum...
  • Options
    It is green jello. The problem is that the question is different.

;~)

Ross
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Ross,
    OK, the answer is there, and always has been.
    So, it's putting the answer to the right question?
    I'm still slow...

-Dave
  • Options
    lol, this is one of the longest off-topic threads in weeks. I thought it was green M&M's.

Oh well - best tell us to straighten up, Revka!

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Or green life savers? Hitchhiker's Guide was such a way-out cool book. I believe I read somewhere that Douglas Adams collaborated with some members from Monty Python before they made it big. Like when they all had just graduated from college.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Okay, not a bad idea to get back to the subject of the Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Okay ... if you two won't do it ...! ;-)

Speaking of Outbacks, maybe we can get Paul Hogan to star in the next release of The Guide! (Okay - I thought I segued well!)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    But if an Outback Sport owner is asking about the meaning of life, then it's on-topic. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    If anyone is interested, check out the Events Forum for an off-roading trip in the NJ Pine Barrens this Sunday.

-Dennis
  • Options
    See... the outback is so nice that we can complain here about it and you know people are way more likely to complain than compliment.. so it only goes to show that an Outback owner would ramble on about the meaning of life.. oh and the significance of green M&M's..instead of the car itself.. ok ok.. get back on topic.. my outback is new to me... anyone have anything I should know about it??
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    And here I was about to guess "Jeopardy" (put the answer in the form of a question).

Snow in GA - you guys got some this year, right? Before we did in DC, as a matter of fact.

Looks like you just bought the Subie a couple of weeks too late! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    7" in my front yard. Of course it was all melted off the streets by early afternoon.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    having trouble with defrost too. Mine is a new WRX wagon. I get into the car in the morning and inside window fogs almost immediately. I've got streaks down it.
    twrx
  • Options
    Aren't they sometimes caused by the new dash material on a new car? There's a name for it, I forget what it's called. Degaussing??

-Dennis
  • Options
    ...not degaussing. Degaussing is the removal of unwanted residual magnetic fields from cathode ray tubes (CRTs) like TV's and computer monitors which cause funny colours and distortions. The vinyl plastics in the dash have many chemicals in them to make the plastics soft and pliable (so they don't split down the middle like in the 70's and 80's, etc.). They gas out from a new car, and old ones too as sunlight breaks them down.
  • Options
    So I guess the bottom line is to clean the inside of the windows (more often when new and still degassing), and then use the A/C compressor to de-humidify the interior when needed (more so with lots of passengers inside).

-juice
  • Options
    Dennis- It's called "out-gassing"

Bingo Juice!

-Frank P.
  • Options
  • Options
    Seven inches?? INCHES? Try 7 FEET.. thats what we got in Buffalo within a couple days.. and I got my new subaru just in time.. like a week before the storm hit! Ok.. the subaru is a great car.. but there isnt any car that can drive in 7 feet of snow!! And I have a gassy dashboard?? I'll stop by and get it some alkaseltzer.. I took it for a car wash last night and even this morning it seems to be ok.. it seems worse when I have a few people in it.. I know my friends talk a lot but I didnt think they had that much hot air!
  • Options
    Yeah but Atlanta gets 7 inches of snow as often as Buffalo gets 7 feet!!! (read: almost never)

FYI: With 4 adults in my Forester on a recent cold wet evening; I had the AC on, control set to defrost, and the fan set to full blast but still couldn't defog the back passenger windows (It's actually pretty amazing how much condensation you exhale everytime you breath).

-Frank P.
  • Options
    LOL, Lisa! Plop-plop, fizz-fizz!

Hot air? You're on a roll! Keep 'em coming!

Better yet, join our chat tonight and share your jokes live. :-)

I had my dog in the back seat, along with our toddler. We were playing in the car while her mom picked up some quick groceries. The dog was panting and the windows fogged up, big time. We were parked with the windows closed, though.

-juice
  • Options
    When did you get a dog? Does it get along well with the cat?

;-D

Ross
  • Options
    DOH! Where's my medication...

-juice
  • Options
    p0926: did you have the temp. selector all the way to the right (warmest)?
  • Options
    kdsmithjrkdsmithjr Member Posts: 5
    I've been told that the defroster doesn't just work based on deflecting heated air to the glass surfaces, it also links into the air conditioner to de-hudmidify the air. This is true regardless of temperature and regardless of whether or not you have actually turned on the AC. Given the fogging problem, I'd have your dealer check the AC's operation.
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    When I see the forums for the OBS and Mazda P5, it seems no one is having a problem with the car. But when I look at some other forums like Ford Focus, it seems every other post is about a noise, leaks, recalls. If you make a negative post about a car like this though, someone gets all defensive, like I'm gonna change my mind and buy their wonderful choice!

These forums speak volumes for what are the better cars. People can go on and on about how they love their car (while it only has 10,000 miles on it) but if I see people posting "Oh my engine cracked.... but I still love my car" or "my brake pedal went to the floor".... Do I want that car?
  • Options
    twolf3232twolf3232 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

I'm interested in possibly replacing my '98 Integra GS with a new OBS at the end of my lease (09/02). It *seems* like a great car. The problem is that in the Ottawa area, there don't seem to be any, and the dealers have told me that every one off the boat for the next 4 months has been sold.

I absolutely refuse to buy a car without test driving it (or something very close to it) first. So my question is, how close would a test drive experience in a TS wagon be to actual driving experience in an OBS?

Cheers,
    Paul
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    won't quite as sharp. Other than that, and the missing bells-'n-whistles, it should be about the same.

Bob
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I recently drove both models and thought that they drove VERY similarly...the TS might have been a bit softer on crummy pavement, but it was really hard to tell the difference. The OBS has 16" wheels vs 15", but they both cornered really, really well with very minimal body roll and precise steering. Compared to my 01 Outback, they both felt very sporty. For the money, that OBS is hard to top...I'd probably have chosen it over my "big" outback had it been available at the time!
    Brian
  • Options
    ok Frank..agreed, Buffalo doesnt get 7 feet of snow all at once all the time.. 2000 we got pounded on in one afternoon and it left us paralyzed all night (yes..we slept at work).. that was before my suburu.. did I learn my lesson buying a crappy little dodge!!

oh and Juice..sorry I missed the chat.. life gets in the way of playing on the pc!!
    Lisa :-)
  • Options
    ironannieironannie Member Posts: 2
    Hey Folks!

I'm new to the Subaru world (and this board) as I've been a devoted Honda driver all my car-owning life. But my desire for a miniwagon won out, and after tossing between the Jetta & the OBS, I must say I am delighted!

It's the first free Saturday I've had in awhile, so I wandered into the local REI store to look at rack attachments. (I'm in the market for a kayak, too.) The salesperson told me that factory-installed racks are almost always not as good (strong) as the real thing, and that I should buy the posts & crossbars too. He seemed honest and knowledgeable, saying that the force at 60 mph may be too much in addition to the weight of the cargo. Is this true? Has anyone had any problems? Or some swamp land they're willing to sell to me?

Thanks, Annie
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I can't attest to what the salesman said, however, the OBS roof rack is rated for 100 pounds. If you had a Forester, it would be 150 pounds.

Bob
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    I have the ski racks for my outback and I have no problem . Subaru does'nt make there own racks they are after market ones made by akiama. My racks held 3 sets of skis and 1 snowboard at speeds up to 80 mph.
    mikek
This discussion has been closed.