Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Passat Wagons (GL, GLS, GLX & W8)

Comments

• Options
    feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    I have an '03 with Monsoon - >10,000 miles and sounding good ...
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Care to be a little more specific?
  • Options
    missingchicagomissingchicago Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2002 GLX 4-motion wagon with 10K miles. It has been a nice car but now with 2 young children the wife has decided that she really wants a minivan. We are buying the Minivan out of state (800+ miles from home) and therefore will have a hard time trading the Passat in sight unseen. What is a fair price to get a local dealer to buy it outright or for private sale? A local dealer has offered $23.5K but I hate to accept when it is just 1 year old and I paid > $30K.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Normal depreciation on ANY car is 20% the minute you hit the bricks driving home plus Tax, Title, and License...In a depressed market for Used cars...Thousands of trade ins for all of that 0% financing or $3000 rebates, and people passing over used to get the same deals...

I would have a chat with your Bride...Two kids, two parents...it would seem that you have the perfect ride...and a safer one too...
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Sell the car privately if you want more money.
  • Options
    dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    20% depreciation might be the average for driving off the lot, but certainly doesn't apply to all cars. For example, my '98 Beetle TDI was worth as much used in Seattle in 2000 as I paid for it new June '98.
    Passat 4-motion wagons are VERY desirable cars (especially for people tired of the fuel/handling of mini-vans) and command a good price. Unfortunately, the number of purchasers is smaller. If you can hold onto the car you will get a good price from someone who can't really afford the new ones.
    But the ideal situation is to locate someone with a near-new minivan who will swap vehicles.
    It will cost you a classified and some time, but could save $$$.
    (but I agree with Chitown -- its the perfect car for 2 kids ... we had 2 kids and 2 dogs in our Passat wagon)
  • Options
    Depreciation is based on list price, so if you get 25% off on the car, and it drops 20% in value you are still 5% ahead.
  • Options
    ymillerymiller Member Posts: 10
    Hey all:

I'm considering purchasing a used 1999 Passat GLS 1.8T wagon w/ tiptronic transmission. Only 27K miles, and it was owned by a couple who both work sales at the dealership I'd be buying it from. Certified pre-owned (so 2 year/24K warranty + roadside assistance) and it's absolutely spotless. It has sunroof, upgraded 17" tires with nice alloys, leather steering wheel, cloth seats, no CD player.

Dealer is asking 15.9K, what would be a fair price to offer? Most of the posts I've read so far are about new Passats, anyone have experience buying used? Anything in particular about the 1999 that I should look out for? I love the way the car drives and looks (it's silver w/gray interior) and it's nice and roomy.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Have you tried plugging your vehicle into Edmunds' Used Car Appraiser? This will give you an idea of what others are paying in your region. Mind you, this is not the lowest price, but an average cost based over a given period of time.

"Anything in particular about the 1999 that I should look out for?"

You can check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see what kind of issues (Recalls/TSBs) are listed on your 1999 GLS Passat.

Others here may have more to add. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    jackieb31jackieb31 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone!
    Quick question, may sound stupid to some, but to me not knowing too much about cars, it's a concern. My brakes on my '03 1.8T are very squeaky and when I brought it for my first oil change, they cleaned them (so they said), but they are still squeaky. I posted about this before, and have kind of learned to ignore it. I noticed today that on my hubcaps, all of them, there is dark marks, looks as if something could be leaking from the brakes. Would this be brake fluid? Doesn't seem to be normal to me. It's hard to get off, very gooey substance. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    One important difference between German (European) and domestic/Japanese cars is your VW will run better the more often it is used. And if you drive in normal traffic, some items (like brakes) are barely getting used compared to what they are designed to handle.
    Occasionally, when you're alone in the car and there's no traffic around, try simulating a panic stop from 50+ MPH. I had to do this every couple months on my wife's Passat, and again every time that it sat for more than 3 days unused (which was very rare). It normally cleared any squealling on the first pass!

Black, gooey deposits on hub-caps are usually tar from the road. I have white spots on my car ... apparently from freshly painted lines on the road. My VW is black. If anyone knows how to get that stuff off, I'd really appreciate a hint!
  • Options
    ...could be from the assembly plant. Does it look like it's streaking from the center of the wheel, the hub? I had that - it's a sign that the dealer prep isn't that great. It's sticky stuff and it's getting black from the brake dust from your pads. The dust is normal, the sticky stuff can be removed with Simple Green and some elbow grease.
  • Options
    lewzealandlewzealand Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking for a specific color 2003 wagon GL automatic. I've been told that my only option is ordering and I must do it quickly. Is this because they are ceasing to make the 2003 models? Can I even order a 2003 from the factory still? And should ordering one warrant an increase in sales price? I know several dealers trying to get rid of their stock at invoice. I'm trying to determine if the color and my options are going to be worth the costs for ordering one "fresh".
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    ordering one off the lot. The sales guy doesn't get any money until the car is delivered and the dealership is paying to floorpan the cars on the lot.
  • Options
    thx123thx123 Member Posts: 6
    I've been driving my 03 passat GLS wagon with tiptronic for about 2 months. I love the car, but have some concerns with the 1.8 turbo engine.

I have to push the engine to above 3k rpm in order to make a decent acceleration, especially on the first gear; when I drive at 80 mph constant speed, the engine also stays on or above 3k rpm. I guess it's normal considering the size of the engine. One thing I am not clear is whether the engine life expectancy can be considerably shortened if it often spins at 3k rpm or slightly higher speed.

I also feel that the engine kind of labors at that speed with significantly higher noise. Is that normal?

Thanks for your expertise in advance.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about 3,000 rpm. My Integra spins at 4,000 rpm for hours at a time on the highway, and it has 152,000 miles on it with no engine related troubles to date. 3,000 is a piece of cake, just change your oil as needed, and if your are really worried use synthetic oil.
  • Options
    Don't worry about your engine. As long as its lubricated and doesn't overheat it will last a long, long time. In fact, you can change the software in the engine controller ("chip it") to get 200+ HP and it is still under-utilized compared to its potential.
    This same engine puts out 225 HP in the Audi TT, and 368 HP in Audi rally cars. Its one of the toughest engines in the world, and listed in Ward's "10 best engines" in production.
    http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_wards_best_engines_3/
    (NOTE: VW/Audi is the only maker with 2 engines in the top 10!)
    The only concern is that turbo-chargers cool the turbine bearings with the engine oil, and the high temperature is hard on the oil. So, as DudleyR pointed out, don't skimp on the quality of oil that you use.
    If you want more power, you can upgrade the chip and exhaust system to get 245 HP from this company: http://www.tap1.com/Modifications_by_Model/VW_Passat_turbo/vw_pas- - sat_turbo.html
    Even with the extra $$$, you'll still be within the price range of the VW V6, but (compared to a V6) your car will be lighter, better balanced, accelerate faster, and get better gas mileage.
    A "chipped" Passat is probably the best sports/touring sedan/wagon bargain in America!
  • Options
    thx123thx123 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks a lot for the great inside info, dieselbreath and dudleyr! That's awesome. I did not know the engine was that good. I am really proud of the car now!
  • Options
    alohasurferalohasurfer Member Posts: 6
    we have a 2002 passat glx wagon. we love it, it has driven to VT in nor'easters with no problem (FWD) carry a ton of gear (surfboards, windsurfers, mtn bikes etc) however, we are only getting about 23-24 mpg highway....help!!!!
  • Options
    alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    That has more to do with mileage than the car... ;^)

I take it yours is not a 4Motion, since that would be fair gas mileage. I have a 2k Passat wagon, GLS V6, that gets ~30 on the highway and 22-24 around town with light loads. We did a 3,000 mile vacation last summer with 4 people and a full load, including a roof bag, and averaged about 27 overall.
  • Options
    avg highway speed is 65-70mph...what grad of gas you filling it up with? I also have Thule racks up top, but that wouldnt account for such a dramatic drop in fuel economy...(30 vs 24)
  • Options
    sounds like much the same car. Yours automatic? (Mine is.) I use mid range fuel most of the time, premium when it's on sale. I tend to drive on cruise control at about 70.

That may be something worth checking out. Unless it's a 4Motion I would expect better than that.
  • Options
    avg highway speed is 65-70mph...what grad of gas you filling it up with? I also have Thule racks up top, but that wouldnt account for such a dramatic drop in fuel economy...(30 vs 24)
  • Options
    automatic.....i;ll bring it in, have em check it..its a lease, but if i can save $$ on gas, its all worth it...
  • Options
    Good luck. :)
  • Options
    automatic.....i;ll bring it in, have em check it..its a lease, but if i can save $$ on gas, its all worth it...
  • Options
    Nah - it a VW board....

/;^)
  • Options
    bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    I have a 2003 Passat Wagon with the 4 cycling 1.8 liter turbo. I get about 20-22 MPG in the city, but i only get 26MPG on highway trips. I wouldn't be upset except my wife has a 1999 Passat GLS V6, and it gets 30+ MPG on the highway. We took her car home to visit the folks recently. 2/3 of the trip is two lane highways and 1/3 is expressway. Car averaged 30.9 MPG the whole trip! I feel I should expect more from my 1.8T. I have a service appointment in 900 miles, so maybe I will mention that to the service guy (who will then tell me I am crazy, right?).

Thanks!
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    remove the roof rack and check milage.

Krzys
  • Options
    westrid_dadwestrid_dad Member Posts: 22
    For you '03 owners wondering about your gas mileage, bear in mind that your mileage will continue to improve as you add miles. I only have around 5500 miles, and thus far most of our driving has been in town. We've gone from around 17 MPG average to around 19 MPG. Our first highway trip will be this summer. From what I've heard from other owners the mileage continues to improve even after the first 10,000 miles. So, perhaps you just need to hang tight a bit longer and then see how your mileage is doing.
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    At above 50-60mph, the roof rack may cause more $damage$ than you may think (resistance goes with the second power of speed, energy consumption with the third).

Another extremely important factor is tire pressure. I don't know what tires you have, but with the OEM tires on my 2000 GLX (AT 4Motion wagon), I need to go way up there, for both handling and fuel consumption. I try to keep it at 36-36.5 psi. With that and synthetic oil, I get better than 28mpg highway driving.

I just drove to a mountain camp, 80% highway at 75-85mph, 20% urban/mountainous. 26.5mpg up, 27.5mpg downhill. YMMV.

- D.
  • Options
    2000 1.8t w/ stick shift. Lifetime average mileage a little over 30. Highway mileage 38+ going 60 mph, 36 going 65, and about 34 going 75.
  • Options
    ...with a 2003 GLS tip wagon. My overall average is 22.3 mpg, 90% suburban driving in a very hilly area. However, a 285 mile trip from Cincy to Pittsburgh last February gave me an average of 31 MPG (I would have had 33 mpg, if I had filled up right off the interstate). I keep my tire pressures at 32 front, 30 rear - these are OEM Michelin MXV's in the 195/65-15 size. So far, I'm pleased with the mileage but wished the "Please Refuel" message didn't appear so early. The car really needs a little bigger fuel tank - 18 US gallons would have been perfect.
  • Options
    frapzoidfrapzoid Member Posts: 127
    I have a 2002 Passat wagon with V6/stick. I get between 25 and 27 mpg...
  • Options
    i agree that it needs a bigger tank..i will check the tire pressure, as far as the racks, they aint comin' off, carry too much gear on a daily basis....I guess this is normal 23-24 mpg....thanks for all the input
  • Options
    feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    I have ~13.5K on the clock now. Averaged 24 ~ 25 pre-chip with Tip. Got chipped at ~6K and have averaged 26~27 mpg with about 50/50 town/highway. Some of the improvement attributable to break-in. Nice part is that the chip does not seem to adversely affect the mpg ... (I don't do much WOT driving though - the chip was mainly for the extra torque)
  • Options
    wdubswdubs Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon with a 5spd with 9,000 miles. In mixed driving, I average 26 MPG. I just got back from vacation where I put over 1,000 miles on it. Most of it was highway driving and about 400 of those miles I had the AC running. I averaged slightly over 31 MPG.
  • Options
    iajtapmasiajtapmas Member Posts: 3
    Hello Board: I owned a Passat GLX Wagon 2001 4 mot which I had purchased brand new. After giving me a heap full of problems ranging from check engine lights, to mirrors not working, to replacing brake rotors and pads before 30K miles, the car went up in flames last week. I noticed some smoke from under the hood. Called 911, byt before the fire engine could get things under control, the car burnt up completely. Why did I buy this car. For details on my problems visit http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/vw_smoke.html
  • Options
    ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    Everytime I think I'm starting to lean towards a Passat Wagon, I hear a horror story like that. That site seems really down on VW in general.
  • Options
    People have horror stories for every make of car - even Toyota (sludge) and Honda (trannies)
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Good point dudleyr.

And on a different subject, here's a little news about what we can expect in the 2004 VW Passat: VWs to Get New Diesel. Anyone else know much about this? ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    okashlanokashlan Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T tip. Fuel capacity is supposed to be 16.4 gallons, but when refuelling after low fuel warning, tank only takes 12.5 gallons. Anyone else's Passat behave similarly? Can I trust that I have ~100 miles left in the tank when the low fuel warning come on? Seems set to come on prematurely to me.
  • Options
    Yours is a common observation. My '03 GLS does this, too. The first week we got the car and the fuel light came on, I couldn't believe it because I had so miles on the tank.

I've gotten used to it and I usually fill up as soon as possible, but I don't sweat driving another 30 miles in town.

The theory seems to be that VW really doesn't want you to run the tank real low. You chance starving the fuel injectors (which they apparently don't like) and you risk the cat converter as well (by running a lean mixture?). Also, the fuel pump is in the fuel tank and the gasoline acts as coolant for it. Run it too low, the pump wears out more quickly. I think it's an expensive job.

I wish that tank was about 18 gallons, and the fuel light came on at 16 gallons consumed.

You'll probably just get used to it like the rest of us.
  • Options
    Every make has horror stories, I just seem to hear them a lot more in connection with VW's. At least among the brands I've been shopping.
  • Options
    jackieb31jackieb31 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all!
    I just wanted to tell everyone about my great experience with my '03 GLS Wagon w/tip on my road trip. Just got home yesterday after logging about 3500 miles. My mileage has improved tremendously, I went from about 17-19 mpg to 30-31 mpg. I am very pleased with that. I also had some concerns before I left with all the hype about the coils, but (knock on wood), I'm happy to say I had no problems whatsoever. The car was an absolute joy to drive and plenty of storage room for all my "stuff".

Thanks for all of your responses before I left, you all really calmed my fears.

Jackie
  • Options
    serge2serge2 Member Posts: 7
    Has anybody had any kind of mechanical or other damages of any kind driving in the a lot of snow?
    I am strongly considering Passat Wagon for my family (in fact I’m in between Subaru and VW, know all there is to know about Subaru, but Passat is roomier and looks classy) I can handle any kind of ice/snow conditions with front wheel drive so awd is not necessary. We take frequent ski trips to VT from NYC, and this past winter I had a lot of fun driving in snow blizzards etc.
     Therefore, question remains how prone VW underpinnings to the snow damage if you accidentally or purposely run over snow banks.
    Anyone with the snow experience please share!
    Thanks,
    Serge
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    serge2--My '02 came thru its first Minnesota winter with flying colors, no damage to the underpinnings. And that's saying something considering how the City of St. Paul does its snow "removal" by leaving windrows across intersections (and my driveway) that rival Everest!
  • Options
    Doesn't most damage to the undercarriage come from the chemical used to melt the snow, rather than the snow itself? The biggest thing to worry about in heavy snow driving with the Passat would be the low (5.5" I think, as opposed to nearly 8" for the Outback) ground clearance as it relates to getting stuck. I think if you get a car wash with the undercarriage treatment after any extended snowy driving you should be alright.
  • Options
    All makers produce cars with problems ... even Rolls, Mercedes and Lexus.
    I've seen very few major VW problems posted.
    Now if you had a Toyota Camry, you can read a discussion titled "Camry Problems" with over 1450 postings.
    Plus, there is one specially dedicated to just "Camry Rattles" with over 230 postings.
    Apparently, many Toyota dealers consider it "normal" for a car with under 10,000 miles to rattle behind the dash, at the base of the windshield, under the seats, and in the front doors. And some owners are told they should just be thankful that they have the priviledge of owning a Toyota!
    They also note that Toyota owners are very hesitant to admit to problems with their cars, whereas you'll find VW owners making a big noise if they have a problem with their car.

In my opinion, VW has more problems with their dealers than with their cars (in terms of turning off customers). There are some excellent dealers, but still many don't grasp the concept of "customer service". just my $.02
  • Options
    My wife's Passat wagon had Yokohama Summer Performance tires on the factory alloy wheels for summer, and Pirelli performance (directional) snow tires on steel rims for winter. 2WD and NO traction control (and 4-spd AT). We got onto the Coquihalla highway (a high-level mountain highway in the Canadian Rockies) just before they closed it due to poor conditions one winter. The air dam was plowing going up the hill (slushy snow about 10" deep). Most of the semis were on the side of the road or stuck. There were no other cars, but a few 4x4 pickups.
    After the summit, it was colder so the snow was dry and there was less of it. Its a beautiful wide highway with sweepers for corners. Running on the fresh snow we cruised between 120 and 140 kmph (75 to 90 MPH) on the deserted highway under the moonlight. There was no tire noise due to the soft snow ... it was eerie going that fast so silently! That was one of the driving highlights of my life.

My current VW New Beetle doesn't even go out in light snow. The clearance is so bad it makes a Passat look like an SUV in comparison.

But my '92 VW Transporter truck (Eurovan style, double-cab, 1-ton flat-deck) just LOVES the snow.
    With 4500 pounds riding on tall, skinny All-terrain tires plus Front-wheel-drive its like a snow-cat. After a heavy snowfall a couple winters back I was out before the plows to drive my daughter's friend home. She came over for the afternoon but was stranded 2 days due to the snowfall.
    I was blazing a trail through snow about 15" deep and passed a Jeep CJ 4WD barely making progress with its wide tires spinning. It worked its way into my ruts and followed our tracks into town. That was the only other vehicle on the road. It was a real hoot blasting through big snow-banks onto shopping mall parking lots and such!
    There was no damage to the truck ... they're built like tanks.