Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Forester got the LSD in 1999 or 2000, IIRC. I'm leaning towards 1999, when it also got the Phase II SOHC engine.

I'm not sure about the Outback, but I think that generation didn't have it. The 2000 Outback was the first to get the Phase II engine, so if I had to guess I'd say 2000 was the first year for the LSD, too, and only on AWP models. It became standard on all Outbacks in 2001 or 2002.

Boy, my memory is failing me. When you get old, they say two things happen. First you lose your memory. The other thing I forget. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    mike- No LSD on my '98 Outback.

juice- I thought the LSD didn't make it in until the MY2001?... then again, I think I have a corrupted sector in my memory :-D

-Dave
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I beleive it was on the GT models of Legacy, and optional on the Outbacks in the 2nd Gen legacy era ('96->'99)

-mike
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    heck I didn't know that.
    I like to have one put on.

-Dave
  • Options
    An LSD will probably run $900, but it's a major job to install it. Labor would be hefty.

-juice
  • Options
    vincer2vincer2 Member Posts: 97
    Juice,
    you're right on. 2000 was the first year it was offered on the OB. I forget the details but it may have been only offered on the OB Ltd in 2000.
    Vince
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it was also part of the AWP (all weather package) for the base models. Now the LSD is standard on all Outbacks, and the AWP gives you heated seats/mirrors/windshield, but it still costs the same amount. I remember seeing that.

-juice
  • Options
    mortpeaberrymortpeaberry Member Posts: 69
    Has any one ever added more auto down window switches on their driver's door. You would think if the switches are avail. it could be pretty simple. Or it could be close to impossible.
    I've got a little Euro car envy going right now (Euro BMW have auto up/down on both front doors, and remote window/roof open/close) I would be happy if I could get both windows to open with one push.
    Can anyone with an electrical man. see if there is any info on the driver/window switches?
    -steve-v
  • Options
    sb69coupesb69coupe Member Posts: 21
    My wife stole my 2002 LL Bean!!!!! She hasn't driven "her" 2000 Honda Odyssey in the last 2 months. She wasn't the least bit happy when I ordered the Soob but boy her tune has changed now that she's lived with it. Even my 20 month old son points to it and says "Mommy's Car"!!!

We had a nice 12" snowstorm here in NC and the Bean performed flawlessly, great traction and felt really solid. We also took it to the NC mountains a few weeks back. No snow on the ground there, but it had no problems accellerating up the steep grades, as opposed to my '91 Pathfinder that would ping and wheeze going up, and fade the brakes to much on the way down.

I love the car, too bad I never get to drive it!
  • Options
    Wow, and she drives an Odyssey? That's a fine van, so that says a lot!.

They have good resale, you could probably trade it in for a WRX with little/no money out of your pocket.

-juice
  • Options
    I have auto-up on my XT6 :)

-mike
  • Options
    dukephotodukephoto Member Posts: 49
    I've tried to get my wife to even try driving my '01 VDC since I got it in September, but she refuses.

Think I'll stop trying......

DUKEPHOTO
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I have noticed in JC Whitney,s catalogue that there is a kit available to make all windows auto up and down.

It is not just a matter of changing switchs there are relays involved.

You could alternatively go to a good stereo install store and have them install them for you.

There are several stores here in Ottawa that do that kind of work, and believe me if you can get it here, I am sure you will have no trouble in the States finding a good shop.

BTW. I was back in Ireland last year, and my friend had a 1990 Nissan Sunny, (not sold outside Europe) and both front windows on this car were auto up and down,are we getting shafted or not.

It also had retained accessory power,meaning that for a period of time if you did open a door you could for instance roll the windows up and down after you turned the ignition off.

Both my 91 and 93 Accords had this feature nice to have.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    You can thank the lawyers for not having them on more cars here. The ones that do have em post '90 have sophisticated systems to prevent kids from sticking their hands and/or heads in the windows while auto-uping them. :(

-mike
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Yep, my 97 Prelude had it too. Let you close the windows after you turned the engine off, until a door was opened. Of course, 9 times out of 10, my wife would open the door before I got the windows up . . . . .

Craig
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    LSD came standard with the 2K OB Ltd - which is one of the reasons I sprung for the Ltd version. It was part of the AWP, which was standard on the Ltds, and optional on the base wagon - I checked the 2K brochure (I always save the brochures of new vehicles I buy - they're a handy reference down the line).

Ken in Seattle
  • Options
    mortpeaberrymortpeaberry Member Posts: 69
    pat, can you design us a circuit to retain acc. power.
    I think pat came up with the rear wiper delay/ undelay
    [undelay undelay :~p]
    steve-v
  • Options
    02outback02outback Member Posts: 3
    I covered both the fog lights and the headlights with protective plastic film (brand name Clear Shield). I don't know what Subaru charges for a replacement on either light, but the fog light was about $100 on my '89 Mustang GT many years ago (the lens was not replaceable separately). The trim shop that did my window tinting also did the headlight shields and applied the same material (thinner than on the lights) to the leading 12 inches of the hood as protection from stone chips. I did the fog lights myself with bulk material I purchased from Griot's Garage (easy to do since the lights are round). The headlight material can be purchased pre-cut for various applications.

Mark
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    wrong Pat for the rear wiper delay,his user name is pat88 And I believe his name is Pat Dubuis, I hav,nt seen him post for a while though.

Any electronics I tinker with, for instance I just had a time delay made for an ignition illumination that I just installed, I have a friend I just tell him what I need he designs it and makes it up and I install it.

Actually the retained accessory should be relatively simple for any electronics shop to make up, it is basically the same idea as the dome light delay.

Basically I Think a resister and a capacitor that slowly discharges.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    02outback02outback Member Posts: 3
    Got a call from the Mrs. today while I was at work. The Outback got popped in the rear end by an inattentive driver. I cannot believe it...hasn't even made it to the first oil change! I haven't been able to bring myself to look at it yet. She has told me that just the bumper cover got messed up...but we all know how deep even the little things can go. Is anyone out there in the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area? It has been many years since I have needed a body shop and I would like some recommendations. I am a real fussy b*****d and I can spot most collision repairs in my sleep as they are done so poorly. Please help!!! Thanks.

Mark
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Mark: So sorry to hear about your OB's damage. I'm not a Soobie owner yet, but I'm in the Twin Cities and I've had body work done a few times. The folks at Latuff Brothers (on University Avenue in St Paul) are honest and do good work. Check them out. You'll at least have a good baseline estimate that you can trust to be fair.

And good luck!
  • Options
    paulsgtpaulsgt Member Posts: 30
    An LL Bean and an Odyssey, sounds like a nice garage full!
    My Wife and I traded our 1999 Hondas (Hers - Accord EX V-6 coupe, His - 1999 Odyssey EX) for the LL Bean (don't ask, long story about greedy employer). She is driving the 'Bean and I drive the 97 Ford Ranger 2wd 4-cyl that belongs my Daughter who is away at college. Anyway, my lovely wife does not have much good to say about the 'Bean other than the heated seats. I'll bet she'd change her tune some if we had a 'real' winter here in MN. She misses the power and agility of the 200hp Accord. Besides that it was red and a sporty looking coupe. I guess I cannot blame her too much. One day soon, I will get to drive the 'Bean as my everyday car and she can get her RSX Type-S.

In the Twin Cities, I have only had body work done by a chain that is now gone (Cara). They did do nice work. Otherwise I've had restoration body work done on my 1965 Corvair Convertible but it was done by a 'street rod guy' in Wisconsin.

Good luck!

Paul in MN.
  • Options
    sb69coupesb69coupe Member Posts: 21
    The stable-mate for the Bean and Odyssey is my only condolence for the fact that I never get to drive the Subaru. It's a 1969 Corvette t-top with the 350hp V8 and 4 speed manual tranny. Hence my login "sb69coupe". I've restored the car myself, and have just ordered a 4-post hydraulic lift for the garage. That way I can put the Vette on the lift and still park the Bean underneath it!

The gory details of the restoration are at http://www.employees.org/~sburgess

Shannon

• Options
    rjwbobrjwbob Member Posts: 1
    I have never owned a Subaru before, but I am looking at a 2000 Subaru Outback All Wheel Drive with 82,000 miles. I am trading in an old bomber Mercury Topaz that probably worth between $700-800 and I've got the price down to $13,700 with the Level 3 maintenance thrown in. The salesman says he can let it go for ~ $13,500 without the Level 3 maintenance. I'm concerned about the high mileage and looked to the experts for some feedback as to whether or not this is a good deal or not. Can I expect to have to start paying out some big bucks in the next 20,000 -30,000 miles? What kind of like can I expect? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I understand the feeling. My new OBW and Odyssey look pretty good next to each other in the garage.

I put about 20 miles on my friends '85 Vette this weekend. While not a GM fan, it is a very impressive ride. I asked him to take my Japanese exchange student for a spin, and he tossed me the keys instead. The broad smiles stayed for about a half hour after we returned to the party!!

Steve
  • Options
    oclvframeoclvframe Member Posts: 121
    How many folks out there have this combo? I have a 01 Bean and a 99 Odyssey.

-r
  • Options
    fudd2befudd2be Member Posts: 50
    Hey!

We have an '00 OB Wagon and a '98 Civic right now, but as soon as a second child appears as if it is on the horizon, we plan to trade the civic for a new Odyssey.

We love the civic as well, but alas it is too small for two children - though I will say from a passenger space viewpoint it gives the OB a run for its money - and that's coming from a guy that is 6'7"

-Howard
  • Options
    Mark: ouch, I know that hurts. Sorry, bud. I'd consider a dealership, and demand OE parts because it's brand new.

82k miles is a lot for a 2000. The timing belt should be inspected at 90k, replaced at 105k. But the labor is most of the cost, so I'd go ahead and replace it at 90k, plus do a major service (spark plugs, plug wires, tranny oil, diffy oil, engine oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve, tire rotation, alignment, etc.) also at 90k.

At that mileage, condition means everything. If it looks great, it's worth it. If it's been abused or neglected (ask for receipts), then walk.

-juice
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I have a 01 OB and a 00 Sienna. Great combo.

Greg
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    2001 LLBean and 1996 Honda Accord LX 2 door that I'm looking to get rid of... 88K = timing belt & major tune-up & tires &...
    Was thinking about the 6cyl. Outback sedan, but we don't get snow (or winter, for that matter) anymore in NYC area. Global Warming? I think it is Global Burning and we just don't know it yet!
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Just got back from a week trip to daytona Fla for speedweek . I had 2 mess on my voice mail from dealer and 1 from the Subaru rep I'm talking to at SOA. The day I left the dealer said he was going to order the timing belt tensioner .While I was away he called and said that he again feels the noise is normal. Now I have to take the car back in and leave it over nite because the District serv rep is going to be down on the 1st of march . So I guess by me calling and getting a case # started the dealer is now putting it in the district reps hands . Little History I have a engine knock/clatter when the engine is cold .It doesn't make the noise when it is idling only when it is driven cold for the 3-5mins .MY car is my02 outback basewagon 4eat 6300k miles 6months old . I am having the dealer give me a loaner/rental car so I can come back 1st thing in the morning to test drive the car with the rep and to also meet him and pick his brain . If any body has any questions you want me to ask him just let me know .

mike k
  • Options
    Otis: wait for the Legacy H6. I bet the handling will sell you on it. The non-Outback Legacys have 7% shorter gearing (smaller diameter tires) and will be quicker.

-juice
  • Options
    wmiller4wmiller4 Member Posts: 97
    Great 'vette restoration story. The car looks great!
  • Options
    Can someone tell me when the Outbacks went to the newer Phase II 4? Thanks
  • Options
    Phase II came in 2K MY.

-mike
  • Options
    jkinazjkinaz Member Posts: 5
    I see most messages here involve new OB's, but we have a "mature" Legacy with a minor problem I hope someone can help us with. Our beloved 1990 Legacy L 4wd wagon (160k miles) has become a whistler. The front door window seals now let air in and it's annoying! We've tried a few simple fixes but they haven't done the trick. Dealer will replace seals for $200 per window (new parts $80 each) -- a lot of cash for an aging car. Any DIY suggestions?
  • Options
    Try silicone on the seals just get some silicone adhesive and glob it on! Or you can get some rubber stripping and try to thicken them that way.

-mike
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    If you can get the parts, it is very easy to install the window seals/gaskets. At least it is on the 2000-2002 Legacy-Outback models. If the 1990 design is similar, I'd say it's a do-it-yourself project. Check Libery Subaru (www.newsubaru.com) for discount prices on the parts.

Craig
  • Options
    20llbean20llbean Member Posts: 83
    2001 LLBean, timberline green
    1995 Honda Accord V6, first model year heather mist metallic.
    1998 Red Yardman 6.5 HP self propelled rear drive lawnmower!

In my case, I only get to use the Honda and the lawnmower. The Subie is mine on bad weather days.

Last week, I change the oil myself for the first time (all other changes done at dealer). The mechanics completely over-torque the oil plug and filter. It took every bit of my strength to get them undone. They also over fill by about a pint which bothers me. I use 5W-30 castrol (have used it in the accord since purchase) and change every 3K.
  • Options
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    2K OB Ltd wagon (5-spd) - 19K miles
    97 Maxima SE 5-spd - 18K miles
    66 Mustang GT (red fastback, 289-4bbl, 78K original miles, AUTO [whaddya expect? - came as a package deal with the boss - original owner - doesn't like me to say that anymore!])

Ken in Seattle
  • Options
    I'd hit a junk yard and try to find a wrecked Legacy. We took some weather stripping off a Camaro for my brother-in-law. I found a prop-rod clip for my Miata, as well as a rear view mirror with lights at the bottom for just $10!

Sorry, auto recyclers. Whatever you call them, they can be a gold mine. That mirror costs $80 from an aftermarket catalog. Plus shipping. Plus tax in some states.

My fleet includes:

1998 Forester L 5 speed (mine)
    1995 Mazda 626 ES V6 5 speed (wife's)
    1993 Mazda Miata C Package 5 speed (my toy)

I've been trying to talk the wife into an LL Bean or something, but she doesn't want to spend any cash. I've also flirted with the idea of upgrading to a 1999 Miata when the price is right.

-juice
  • Options
    bburger95bburger95 Member Posts: 2
    Re: Mrk610,#4633, our '97 Legacy GT wagon with 37k miles has what sounds like a valve-tap noise for the first 10-15 minutes of driving. The dealer service tech over the phone said SOA told them after complaints that solid valve lifters in 96-97 models caused noise, but no fix suggested. When I took car to dealer service, they said they can't hear it. I'll follow up on that. Per Cartalk.com, this noise is caused by oil draining down, leaving air which has to be replaced by oil as engine runs. Engine damage can result. Has anyone else had this problem? What's the solution?
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    '00 Outback
    '97 Saturn SL

probably within a year we'd like to replace the Saturn with something else. my wife is pretty much set on a mini-van (specifically Oddessey), whereas I want something sporty like a sedan. we have 1 child currently and would like to have another, so that makes the mini-van more of a likely choice.

-Brian
  • Options
    '00 Trooper LS
    '91 XT6 MT
    '88 XT6 AT

Down the road the 88 XT6 will be replaced by one of the following:

SVX
    B4 Legacy
    IS 300
    CTS
    G35
    350ZX
    300ZX TT
    3000 GT VR4
    Supra TT
    S4

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Is this our new "Crew" question? What's in the garage, or driveway? If so, here's my list:

'01 white Forester Premium (aka the "Toaster"), wife's daily driver.

'96 dark blue Impreza Outback, son's daily driver.

'92 white Prelude Si, daughter's daily driver.

'98 dark blue-gray Explorer XLT, my daily driver.

All are automatics. :(

Bob
  • Options
    herbrussherbruss Member Posts: 24
    Hmm, Not a lot of Big 3 representation in the stables...

2001 Outback VDC No Mods.

1990 Mustang GT convt. Handling mods.

1960 Jeep FC 150 Mostly mods.

http://members.self-serv.net/herbruss/jeepext.html

Now if they'd only get together and have kids:=) I see an all wheel drive convertible pickup in my future.

• Options
    Dick: what weight oil are you using? Try a thinner oil, it's the cheapest thing to try. Or consider a better flowing oil, like a pure synthetic.

mike: an IS? You can't possibly fit 4 "paisan-sized adults" in there, can you? Is that just for autocross? Color me surprised in your choice.

Hmm, if my fleet had kids, I'd have a convertible SUV with a 6 cylinder engine. Sign me up!

What about the rest of you, what's in your fleet?

-juice
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I'm jealous...I don't have my own fleet! Being single and just out of grad school, I haven't reached the point of multiple car ownership.

My car is an 01 OB wagon (h4/5sp). If you want to consider my girlfriend's car in my stable, it's an 01 CRV (EX,5sp). We bought them the same weekend last January on a whim...we both wanted something more practical than our 1999 Civics (mine 4dr, hers 2dr). Despite all the negative stuff I hear about the CRV here, I really love that thing...definately more impressive to drive than its stats would lead you believe. Both really good cars, actually!

Brian