Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Outback VDC

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Cool story. Now all you need is one of those "Subaru Parking Only" signs.

-juice
  • Options
    troccotrocco Member Posts: 19
    Happy New year everyone!

I guess i get the honor to be the first one to post on 2002!

Check out what i found:

http://www.4car.co.uk/special/videozone/main.jsp?pg=2&make=Volvo&model=Cross%20Country

I whish they did it again with the VDC.

ANyone knows why the outback sucks so badly in the slalom? Could it be the driver?

I wonder if the VDC would do much in a situation like this, with no wheel slippage. I mean the outside wheels have more traction, but would the computer sense it (given that there's no slippage)?

I hope you all had a good time during the HOlidays.

Matias

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The VDC and the other 4EATs use weight sensors to split torque front rear and/or left right. So the weight sensors would sense more traction on the outsides and apply more power in a VDC to that side.

-mike
  • Options
    dukephotodukephoto Member Posts: 49
    Boy, am I glad to see some new posts here. I thought I was gonna lose my favorite newsgroup.

DUKEPHOTO
  • Options
    Maybe we should compare a VDC to an Audi A3, or a Volvo S40? It's pretty ridiculous to compare a base model Outback with 154hp to an Audi that costs twice as much.

They said the first year for the Outback was 1996, but actually it was 1995.

What they call "frightening" oversteer I call fun. The VDC would've fixed that anyway.

Finally, the dog guard is a factory option, why not just pay a few bucks for it? It's not like you would'nt have about $20 grand (US) left for accessories.

And loading the cargo to the roof means you block the view to the rear. You should not do that even if you have a dog guard.

I saw another video comparing a XC, and it failed on a hill where the Subaru thrived. It shifted no power to the rear axle, even. The Subie even managed the hill pulling a trailer, while the Volvo failed a 2nd time. That wasn't even a VDC.

-juice
  • Options
    The comparison wasn't fair. But i think the VDC would match up pretty good with the XC and audi, despite the price diff. In particular the XC.

I saw that movie too, with the XC not making it up the hill. That was pretty pathetic.

And i really didn't care all that much about the cargo comparison either.

DUKEPHOTO: i'm sure it felt good to be the ONE with the VDC when you had those subies in your driveway :)
  • Options
    I bet the VDC would match the Audi and beat the Volvo in the traction tests.

-juice
  • Options
    msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    My husband (& dog & cat) took our first longish trip in the VDC over the holiday. I drove (all 6 hours; wouldn't let my husband drive) to the UP of Michigan from Bay City. We had freezing rain/snow conditions on the drive up, and some plain snow on the trip home. I had my first VDC experience in the car that another car may not have survived - 2 cars were in front of me by about 100yds when one decided to pass (freeway). The passing lane was slushy/freezing, and the passing car lost control and went into a slow spin. I was probably going faster than I should have, but luckily I was far enough behind that I was safe. I braked hard and stayed in the clear/slow lane until it was clear what lane the out-of-control car was going to be in. At that time I had to switch to the slushy lane; the VDC stayed completely straight, no loss of control at all. I could feel the car working, but am unsure if it was the VTD/VDC system or the anti-lock brakes -- I didn't think to look at the dash for what lights went on!! The other car was lucky, too. They just ended up facing backwards on the side of the road. I drove much slower after that.

We had plenty of room in the cargo area for gifts, luggage, dog/cat paraphenalia, etc. My husband found the legroom cramped, however. He's about 6', no giant, but was very uncomfortable by the end of the trip. I fit just fine, being much shorter. I remember some other posters remarking on how much room they felt the car had, so I'm surprised he has space issues. I let my husband drive on the way home - he had a little more room in the driver's side.

Other comments - loved the sound system. Listened to cd's the whole way.
    - Have to get used to it being a wagon; the rear windows had problems keeping clear of fog.
    - One episode of hard-starting. It was cold, don't remember the exact temp, the car had been sitting a day or so. Regular gas in the tank, half-full. Started on the second try though.
    - Only got about 21 to 23 mpg, almost all highway miles. First tank of gas was midgrade, rest was regular. I hadn't driven the car much for several months, and at that time I was getting around 27mpg (I drive many, many miles to work, so I decided to save the VDC for winter!)

Can't think of any other issues for now. I really enjoy the VDC & am glad I got it. I plan on keeping this one (Wintergreen, btw) for a long time to come, but am looking to the future when they upgrade trip computer, 5 speed auto (I did the manual thing once - I'll stick with auto...), maybe lose the dual moon-roofs. Now I need to work on my dad. He has an older Audi quattro & x-country skis all winter. He test drove a Subaru (I'm not sure if it was a VDC) last winter and his only complaint was he couldn't fit his skis in the cargo area with only one of the rear seats down (he can in his audi), oh, and the dealership in his area was recently sold to someone he would rather not deal with.

Sorry so long, just had lots to say, since I only seem to post once every 8 months or so.

Christina
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Thank you for the post Christina. Great to hear about the VDC in action.

I feel for your husband though in the passenger's seat. The close quarters there are giving me some doubts about buying an LL Bean H6.

I'm taller than most so it should not be a concern for many readers.

It's frustrating though -- not unlike finding a great pair of shoes that the store only has in one size. They almost fit but pinch.

I'd be the primary driver but as you saw on your trip -- sometimes you switch off.

Ah well -- I guess that is why many cars are offered.

Enjoy the VDC and glad it kept you safe.

-- JN
  • Options
    herbrussherbruss Member Posts: 24
    Hi,

I have a 2001 VDC Wagon and wonder if you have seen any of these and what you did to fix if any.

1. Wind noise. On the drivers side window weatherstrip, up front by the tweeter I get wind noise if I roll the window down and then up again. It seems that the window compresses the weatherstrip differently than when you open/close the door. There is an extra little piece of weatherstrip glued on there that seems to be in the wrong place to help. Anyone have a cure or comments?

2. The transmission seems a little loose at idle. It will not hold a slight incline without the brakes applied. Kind of reminds me of some muscle cars I've driven with a high stall speed convertor. Is this normal?

I have much more experience with bigger vehicles and engines and am still getting used to this one. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Herb

2001 Outback VDC

1990 Mustang GT Convt

1960 Jeep FC-150

P.S. I watched the movies you mentioned above. I think that it's a typical European view to point up European products regardless of cost or reality. Notice that they didn't include the VW Passat w/4 motion (same as Audi A4 guattro wagon)? This is because they are the only wagons close in price to the Subaru and they don't compare as well in space, handling or practicality.

I did notice that Subaru offers the Outback with a dual range (hi/low)gearbox in other countries if you get the manual trans. It is also rated to two about twice as much there as here.

http://www.fhi.co.jp/subaru/index.htm

http://www.subaru.co.uk/index2.htm

They also list an armrest extension as an accessory on the British site that I would kill for.

Thanks Again

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    is something that many of us here have been asking for, for quite some time now. We used to have it here, but SOA decided for some reason, that there is not a market for it here. I disagree.

Same with the hill-holder clutch.

Bob
  • Options
    djstewartdjstewart Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know why the H-6 and VDC models are limited to 2,000 lbs. towing like their 4 cyl. counterparts? Given the horsepower and torque with these H-6 engines, I would have thought they'd be capable of at least 3,000 lbs towing (the Toyota Highlander is rated at 3,500 lbs for the V-6 model and HP and torque aren't much more than in the Subie!).
    Thanks
    Don in Calgary
  • Options
    That's 2000 pounds only if your trailer has brakes. If not, it's only 1000 pounds, for both the H-4 & H-6.

Bob
  • Options
    Herb: I'd ask my dealer to take a close look at the weatherstripping. Also, you may want to ask him to check the idle speed - sounds like it might be a bit slow.

4Motion on the Passat is similar to Quattro, but Audi has now made stability control standard. The Passat 4Mo would not do as well as the allroad quattro IMO.

Pam from isrperformance.com specializes in importing parts from Europe. She may be able to get you that arm rest.

Don: Yes. SoA hires conservative lawyers. ;-)

It's odd because in the UK they are rated to tow about twice the weight, and that's with 156 horsepower.

-juice
  • Options
    juice?,

Thanks for the isrperformance link and advice on the idle speed. I'll have them check it next time I'm in. The weatherstripping I've had him look at twice but no go on a fix. I might have to break my own rules and fix it myself.
    I agree that the Passat 4Mo is not the car the Allroad is. Just thought the test was a apples to oranges rather than straight up.
    As a note I think that 2000 pounds might be generous depending on where you live. Especially if your carrying people.
    Herb
  • Options
    The tow ratings on vehicles is based on the chassis not the engine. Most people think it's the engine. Even with a tow rating most people should only tow about 80% of the max load which is what they usually can handle for an extended period. On the subies the 2000 is probably a close estimate as to the true towing capacity. The H6 will probably handle that 2000lbs better than the H4s but not much. I test drove a legacy GT wagon, with a towing capacity of 2000lbs. Well when loaded up with 5 "paisanos" it was very very poor at accelerating, I couldn't imaging putting a weeks worth of camping gear in there plus a 2000lb trailer and try to go anywhere. The handling and towing would be severely compromised IMHO. The H6 will give you the ability to tow that same load slightly better but only as far as the acceleration, not the stability.

-mike
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    4Motion on the Passat is similar to Quattro, but Audi has now made stability control standard.

The 4-motion on the Passat is exactly the same as the "Quattro" present in the Audi A4. They just introduced a different name for the Volkswagen, to differentiate it from the Audi. Also, since the AWD was integrated in the A4 design, they did not have to re-design it from scratch when it came to the Passat, which shares a lot of the previous generation A4 internals.

However there are many flavors of the "Quattro" system in various Audis, that are completely different from each other.

For example, the "Quattro" in the Audi TT has absolutely nothing in common with the A4 Quattro (and by extension, the Passat 4-motion), except for its name.

Also, the "Quattro" present in the A8 and other V8 equipped Audis (including the A6 4.2), are completely different from the "Quattros" present in the A4 and the other one present in the Audi TT.

The VTD-AWD equipped Subarus (Auto-WRX and VDC Outback) have a system that is conceptually identical to the "Quattro" system present in the Audi A8 and other V8 equipped Audis. This is a very sophisticated AWD system, also found in the World Rally Championship Subaru race-cars. In fact, in the US, the only Subarus that have this sophisticated AWD are the Auto-transmission equipped Impreza WRX and the VDC Outback.

The "Quattro" present in the Audi TT (Haldex) is very similar hardware-wise to the regular Auto-Subaru-AWD (all Auto-trans equipped Subaru cars excepting the Auto-WRX/VDC-Outback), with the exception that the Subaru Auto-AWD system is superior to the Haldex system of the Audi TT, in having a better integration with its Transmission Control module, resulting in a better anticipatory response to slippery conditions.

Thus the term "Quattro" is just a marketing term and does not mean anything much in terms of describing the actual hardware underneath. There are at least 3 completely different AWD systems, sporting the same name - Quattro. This is similar to the 3 completely different AWD systems in the Subaru stable - one for all Manual-equipped Subarus, one for regular Autotransmission equipped Subarus and the 3rd most sophisticated AWD system present in the Auto-WRX and the VDC-Outback.

Later...AH
  • Options
    The other thing that limits towing ability is the trans. Don't know about outside USA but VDCs here come with a relatively small trans cooler and a warning light for specifically for trans overheating. This says to me that SOA knows there might be some issues.

H6 with a load in it in the mountains still accelerates well but spends a lot of time in 3rd and sometimes 2nd to maintain speed at 65 or so. Engine is definitely happier at 3500-5500 rpm than elsewhere.
  • Options
    Hmm I guess my trooper is poor at towing, cause it has an AT temp light too. 5000lbs is good towing in my book.

-mike
  • Options
    from what i understand, subaru's vdc has 3 stages:

1. Torque distribution (i'm guessing there's some type of variable coupling between the axels and each wheel that is controled by the computer ?????)

2. Independant wheel breaking (done with the abs)

3. Engine power limiting (which comes in handy when going uphill in the snow, and we tend to give it too much gass)

Now, is the VDC the only traction control system out there with all 3 levels?

And anybody knows what's the range of torque that can be transfered from wheel to wheel. I mean can one wheel have all 100% of the engine power transfered to it?

Thanks all.

Oh, somebody asked once about outback recalls, i think there was a recall on the seatbelts. or was that on the older outbacks?

matias
  • Options
    Of course there's more to towing than just a light. Just thought it was interesting that Subaru (and evidently Isuzu) think it necessary to include one. I've learned to take a close look at where the manufacturers spend money. There's a tremendous amount of testing that goes on before a car hits the market. Potential problem areas get fixed based on risk analysis. Subaru in this case thought it wasn't worth the extra $$ to put in a huge tranny cooler but it was worthwhile giving you a light.

BTW I think that the 2000 pound rating on Subarus came from the same place that Toyota's max tow speed came from.
  • Options
    How do you know so much about the Subaru Radiators? If you look at the radiator on my Trooper you wouldn't see anything different than the Subaru Radiator, yet it has quite a large Tranny Cooler built into it. In fact they don't reccomend you get an aftermarket AT Tranny Cooler for it. I'm no engineer, but could the same not be said for the subaru? Do you have any evidence that just cause there is an AT Temp light that that is why they don't have a high tow rating? Please present us with some facts before spouting about AT Temp lights meaning there is a low tow rating. The AT Temp light is pretty common on today's cars with automatic tranny's. I actually had the AT Temp light save my XT6 from blowing the tranny last summer, due to a bad thermostat, seemed like a good idea to me.

-mike
  • Options
    The Audi TT uses the Haldex system from the Golf, but adds stability and traction control.

The A4's Quattro also add stability control to the same system used in the Passat 4Motion.

IMO these are important distinctions, because they do manage traction and work in conjunction with the AWD.

For the same reason, the WRX's VTD is not the same as Audi's high-end Quattro systems. The VDC is similar, though.

-juice
  • Options
    It may be a distinction but the AWD system is what I was speaking about and it is the same. The Stability Control and the AWD are 2 completely different things and I was commenting on the AWD. Hence the Quattro AWD system of the Audi V8/A8 are conceptually identical to the VTD-AWD present in the Auto-WRX and VDC-outback.

The WRX-Auto does not have the Stability control that is present in the VDC but it has a Limited-slip-differential that the VDC does not have. Not too sure about the Audi A8/V8 however (LSD).

I think when combined with the character of the WRX, an LSD is a better fit with the high-end AWD that it is equipped with, as opposed to the Stability Control, even though it would be the best if both (SC and LSD) were available. But in an either/or kind of situation, I would eschew the SC and go with the LSD for the WRX, since the VTD-AWD would provide any traction that the car would require and reduce the dependence on the brakes of the car, while the LSD would enable the side to side power transfer. A very good and sporty combination, IMHO. It would have been even better, if the WRX had a front mechanical differential and a rear mechanical differential (like the STi) and when coupled with the VTD-AWD, it would have been un-beatable as a combo. But can't ask for too much, can we ? ;-)

Later...AH
  • Options
    I guess we have different definitions of the term "AWD system". I know what you mean - just the AWD hardware itself, but even Subaru talks about a complete system, and includes the symmetrical powertrain layout.

And while that may be a stretch, the fact is that the traction control systems coupled to AWD play a critical role. Look at the Mercedes ML, for example, which has open front, rear, and center differentials, and basically lets the electronics do the job entirely. So the traction control system is the AWD system, basically.

Therefore, I don't think you can exclude traction control when you talk about AWD systems.

-juice
  • Options
    Sorry, paisan didn't mean to light your overtemp light. All I meant to say was that in many cars that the transmission is a weak point in the drivetrain when you start running heavy loads and/or high speeds. I did not mean to imply that the presence or absence of a light affected the tow rating. Over temperature conditions account for a high percentage of auto trans failures. Different manufacturers take different steps to keep the owners out of trouble.

When I said that there might be issues with trans overheating while towing I was taking it from the owners manual. It says that tow rating is reduced to 1000 lbs when going up long grades in hot weather. It further goes on to say that you should "carefully monitor both water temp gauge and AT Temp light as the engine and transmission are relatively prone to overheating under these conditions."

Again, my apologies if my post wasn't clear.
  • Options
    I'll bet if you look in an F350 pickup you'll see the same warnings. I haven't checked mine but I'll be that is in there too. All car companies put disclaimers in like that. For instance Jeep voids your warranty on their "off-road" products if it's been used off-road. Go figure!

-mike
  • Options
    tjmantjman Member Posts: 2
    Subaru's fitted with climate control display the selected temperature and ambient temperature in Degrees F. I was wondering if it was possible to change this display to Degrees C? I am obviously referring to US models.

Thanks for the help.

- Eugene
  • Options
    smithda1smithda1 Member Posts: 15
    You are right about other manufacturers doing something else about transmission overheating. I noticed that the outback is the first car I have owned that does not give a maximum time (usually several minutes) for using lower gears - presumably for engine breaking on downgrades which I do often. The light is actually better since it warns when you have overtaxed the transmission rather than having to guess or follow a fixed limit.
  • Options
    djstewartdjstewart Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to all of you (Bob, Juice, Herb and Mike) who waded into the great towing debate. Interesting comments and very helpful. Despite the many great benefits the VDC would provide over my '98 base Outback, I get the message that improved towing capability probably isn't one of them. My tent trailer is only about 950 lbs. but with camping gear, kids, dog, etc. I'm probably pushing the limits. I'll just take it easy on the more serious mountain grades. Thanks again for the helpful advice.
    Don
  • Options
    popgunpopgun Member Posts: 25
    After a recent snow storm in the mountans where I live I had an occasion to see and feel the VDC on my '01 in action! Driveing my VDC wagon on a snow packed road that the snow plow had cleared was uneventful. My fuel was getting low however and I had to reach my refueling tank located some 50 yards across unplowed icey snow 12 to 14 inches deep. Though I hesitated to try it, it was necessary to get the gas, so I charged into the deep snow toward the refuleing tank.

My VDC would travel about two car lengths and stall, seemingly protesting at being used as a snow plow. I noted the VDC light had come on a few seconds as the wagon lurched from side to side seeking better traction. I backed up and made another charge with the same results, and the VDC light comming on and off two or three times, lasting no more than three seconds. Another charge or two and I was in position to get my gas.

The ruts were deep and I choose to back out the way I had "snow plowed" in. Useing a moderate speed in reverse, the wagon lurched and bounced it's way out with the VDC light again flashing on and off momentary, showing me that it worked in reverse as well. I never doubted it would get me out of that deep and slick snow after getting me into it the way it did.

I love this wagon!

Doug, near CA/OR border
  • Options
    I wish we had that foot of snow! Sounds like fun...

-juice
  • Options
    We keep asking SOA for a proper tow package, but so far, they've ignored us. This towing issue has been a big part of the discussion now that pertains to the new Subaru Baja, which has a tow rating that is not any better than that of any other Subie.

It really aggravates me, especially considering every Volvo (except the 40 series) can tow 3300 pounds with no modifications. I think Subaru, especially since their marketing is so geared towards outdoor activity, should offer—even as an option—towing to match Volvos.

Bob
  • Options
    The VDC does weight more than the base Outbacks and Foresters, so it would seem like it would be more stable pulling a load. It's also got a longer wheelbase than the Forester, bigger brakes, and more torque.

Why Subaru doesn't rate them higher, I don't know.

-juice
  • Options
    Sounds like a fun way to spend the day! When you said stall, did you mean engine? Jst curious.

I keep waiting for snow at home but none yet, have to go up the hill a ways.
    Chains? CHP down here (Tahoe foothills) doesn't normally bother AWD. I keep a set for show in case they ask. I know there's been a lot of back and forth about it on the forums.

I have only felt the VDC work on dirt roads, especially when you push it on corners. Feels wierd, you expect a little "slide" and the car tucks in and goes where you point it. The traction control also saves wear and tear on my driveway (12%-14% uphill, gravel and sharp turns) as I don't get any wheelspin even in the wet.
  • Options
    Another curious aspect is that, inspite of the Outback (Legacy based) being much larger than the WRX Wagon/OBS/Forester (Impreza based), the actual weight it can carry are the same as the smaller cars, at 900lbs. The WRX/RS Sedan can carry only 850lbs however. Also, I wonder why the Sedans are rated at a lower weight carrying capacity when compared to the wagons.

Later...AH
  • Options
    popgunpopgun Member Posts: 25
    No Herb, the engine never stalled. It felt like the brakes had been applied but was more likely the pushing and compacting of snow.

A couple of days later I wanted to top off my tank but it was a routine drive in the ruts made previously with no VDC light on.

It's a fun car and such experiencies serve to build your confidence.

Doug near CA/OR border
  • Options
    jon58jon58 Member Posts: 5
    I've now got about 7000 miles on my VDC and would like to report on some impressions---- I've had an opportunity to drive it in very hazordous, snowy/icey conditions. The VDC rarely kicked in, and when it did, it was because I was trying to get the car to lose traction, and with normal, sensible winter driving, AWD is probably enough for any experienced and responsible winter driver; nevertheless, I think the VDC is nice backup to have, and I'm glad I have it. This is one of the quietest, smoothest accelerating cars I've been in. It is definitely quieter at highway speeds than my previous 99 Outback, and quieter than my wife's ML320. I had the opportunity to drive it across the Nevada desert in the middle of the night on a very straight and lonely road... once I forgot about setting the cruise control after a rest stop, and found myself going about 100mph without realizing it... it did not feel any different than driving 80mph! Gas mileage only mostly highway driving at 70 mph is just shy of 25 mpg. Across Nevada with a ski rack and 3 pairs of skis, cruising at 82 mph I got about 22.5 mpg. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide what to buy.
  • Options
    That's great mileage. It seems like the H6 really doesn't carry a mileage penalty at all compared to the H4. Except for premium being recommended, that is.

-juice
  • Options
    oclvframeoclvframe Member Posts: 121
    A few posts back (#1262 by herbruss)Herb mentions a slight amount of wind noise at the front window weather strip near the tweeter...I too have this noise on my Bean. I roll the window down and then back up again and the noise is gone just like he discribes. Is anyone else having this problem?

I am also getting a very intermittant and very annoying rattle in my auto dimming rear view mirror. It comes and goes. When it starts to rattle, it can be made to go away by tapping the mirror and or wiggling it around the adjustment ball joint.

Please let me know of any other similar finish problems. I plan on pointing these both out to my service writer for a second time. Hopefully this time they will do something about them.

-r
  • Options
    mrkite1mrkite1 Member Posts: 8
    Getting exact same wind noise in my 2001 Bean...

The wind noise around the windows is much more then I expected from the Bean...

Seems the Subaru has a very Complex form of Weather Stripping around the windows and makes a Odd transition just behind the Tweeters...

Anyone had any success in eliminating this noise?

Also a lot of Tire noise on highway and wind noise in any kind of Cross-Wind...

Think this is the Cross Rails on the roof rack...Gonna take them off and see if it still happens...

Tom
  • Options
    Check out the link to Craig's photos in the Legacy/Outback thread. He took the entire door apart, and gave great instructions on how the adjustments work.

Or let a dealer adjust the window angle.

-juice
  • Options
    braghavanbraghavan Member Posts: 2
    This will probably outrage the regulars here, but I would like to sell my 2001 VDC. It's in absolutely mint condition and has less than 8000 miles while being driven in Southern California by a suburban mommy (my wife). We are in the unfortunate position of needing a minivan (ouch!) as we are expecting a second baby soon and we are running out of room. My question is, is there any special place I should know of to advertise the car, e.g., to Subaru enthusiasts ? Thanks in advance, and honest, I don't mean to stir anything up.
  • Options
    I did a temporary fix on the wind noise in mine by inserting a plastic soda straw in the "V" of the weatherstripping right by the tweeter. This bumps the thickness of the weatherstripping out and makes it seal tighter. The little piece of weatherstripping that was added to help seal by the tweeter serves to hold the straw in place very well. Straw is not visible and no more noise. Someday soon I hope to have enough time to sit in the dealer service all day while they drive my car around listening for the noise.

I have noticed that the Firestones that are on the car can be noisy (make a rumbling noise kind of like a bad axle bearing) at times depending on the road surface. Don't notice a lot of wind noise even in high cross winds. My other cars are noisy so maybe I'm a little desensitized to it all.

Herb
    2001 VDC Wagon
    1990 Mustang GT Convt.
    1960 Jeep FC-150
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    Braghavan
    I understand the need for a minivan; I had one for bunches of years until the kids got older. At least, you're not getting a truck.

I had success with autotrader.com on selling my Volvo 850 turbowagon and Toyota Supra. It seems that there are a number of people that scan that looking for specific cars. The VDC could fit that mode. Worth a try.

Mike
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi braghavan- Have you tried using Edmunds' Used PowerShopper? It's a free service that will enable you to either buy, or sell, a used car through a variety of providers. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • Options
    braghavanbraghavan Member Posts: 2
    MikeNK and Revka,

Thanks for the helpful advice - exactly what I was looking for.

Badri
  • Options
    awall1awall1 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2001 VDC and the wind noise has been driving my husband nuts. I've brought it in to be serviced, but they did not fix the problem (although they thought they did). Thank you for the straw suggestion, I'll see if that helps at all.

Overall have been very pleased with the car; we bought it in August. Driving in the snow and ice has been far less stressful this winter!

Amy
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    The VDC should be fine with 2 kids. However, I do understand your need. I am in the great position of have the OB and a Sienna. In almost any circumstance, I have a vehicle that works.
    Good luck and congratulations.

Greg
  • Options
    smokeybaersmokeybaer Member Posts: 38
    Haven't posted for quite awhile now. Now have 18,000 miles on the VDC wagon. No problems. Suspension softened up after about 600 miles so it doesn't corner as flat as originally but its satisfactory as long as I don't go to fast. At about 12,000 miles the power started to increase and the gas mileage decrease. Felt the power was only about 180 instead of the 212 advertised but it continues to get better. Now I think the 212 is realistic as it really goes and getting better all the time. We use winter blend gas here in Oregon and that and the decrease in mileage results in my only getting 18 - 20 MPG. Last summer with more high speed highway use I was getting in the 24 - 26 MPG range. All in all its been a great car so far and getting better. Now if only we would get some snow so I could try out the AWD.

Warren
This discussion has been closed.