Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    mlrtymemlrtyme Member Posts: 4
    I got it for $1000 over invoice, which I was completely happy with. They are HOT sellers in my region, and aren't all that easy to find. What I did was got a couple of internet quotes, then went into my local dealer and asked them to beat the quotes and I would buy the car today - and that's exactly what happened.

It's a 2001.5 Passat GLX sedan w/ 4-Motion and CD changer. Silverstone grey with grey leather interior.

So far we love it!
  • Options
    chippervwchippervw Member Posts: 24
    Is another $400 dealer fee on top of port prep, floor plan, and advertising fees normal?? I've got dealers quoting the price i was looking for, but when I inquire about "other fees" they all have a "dealer fee" that's close to $400!!! I don't want to pay this! Am I correct to expect no other fees? Isn't this just some extra "padding" for their selling price? Please help me!!
    Thanks,
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Seems high. Where are you? Florida? It is a fee that some dealer charge, and they can be high here in FL. I've sold a lot of cars simply because we dont charge a stupid fee like that. $99 a car to cover the people running to the DMV..

Bill
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I have not received '02 Order Guides yet; so I cannot answer beyond conjecture...
    However...with the recently posted rumors about pending Warranty changes
    and 02s making their way over here...I have 02 Bora/Jetta & Passat Wagons built and
    en route, that some public statement will most certainly be coming soon...
  • Options
    So, you're in Orlando too. That's where I'm shopping- but maybe i should go elsewhere. Got any advice/suggestions? I made an offer to Royal- they haven't called back yet.
    You don't sell VWs do you?? haha!
  • Options
    Wow. Thanks.
    I might be calling you next week.
    So, is it realistic to want to pay only $200 over invoice b/c of these other dealer fees? I really was shooting for a straight $500 over. I'd buy if I could get that.
    What do you think?
  • Options
    Honestly,

I'd be surprised if they did that. $500 over is actually a very cheap deal here. I mean, I'd certainly ask, they may do it. Oviously you want the best price you can get.

Personally, I would not sell one for that.

Average in South Florida is still $800-900 off list... The $500 over deals are, from where I sit, the exception.

Still, I'd try!

Bill
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You KNOW I have to kill that post with the phone number!

Give me your hand

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
  • Options
    Bill,
    So you think $500 over plus dealer fees ($400) plus regular dealer fees (port, floor plan, etc.) is a good deal??
    $500 over is what they told me right off the bat. So, 800-900 total price over invoice is good, huh?
    What do you think about buying out of town and having it trucked/delivered to me? I guess it wouldn't be worth it if I would cost me more to get it here!!!
    Hey, thanks for your help and I'm going to see what I can do,
  • Options
    Seems like a good deal to me based on the FL cross-sells I see. I can tell you that a lot of people are paying a lot more.

I'd also say that you're dealing with the right guys. I've met their dealer principal, seems like a nice individual.

Of course, still see if you can't chip off another $200 or so.. certainly worth asking for. But if they've treated you well, no reason not to buy there. As far as out of town goes... sure, but I doubt that the savings will be worth it. You could try shopping some dealers in or near Tampa or something.. then bounce the number off of Royal. As far as shipping....

Say you bought a car at my store which is in... hmm... within a state of the Carolinas. To ship it to Orlando would cost $300 or so. Say you fly up and drive back, $100 flight, 400 or so miles, that's $30 in gas, $40 for a hotel room.. your time.. Is it worth it? Not to me. Now, if the guys in Orlando were at sticker and, say, Atlanta was at $200 over? Sure! go for the car in Atlanta. Add in the hassle..etc... And I'm not going to be any cheaper.... I don't see how it's worth it myself.

Bill
  • Options
    oops!

Wasnt a solicitation though!

Bill
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Bill's right, you just have to consider all the figures as a whole. Lots of folks are paying $1000 over plus fees in other states, you've got a better deal than they did with the fee included.
  • Options
    yep,
    was able to negotiate $350 over invoice. Feel like I got a great deal. Blue Anthracite GLS 1.8T 5 speed grey velour monsoon. Thanks everyone for your advice. Got it on memorial day. Sure will be "memorable" for me!
    I'll post pictures when i get it. (they have to locate it first)
  • Options
    g20engg20eng Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear from people who've purchased their passats online, like from carsdirect.com. What has your experience been? Has anyone taken on-line quotes from carsdirect, autovantage, etc to VW dealerships and have their price beaten?

g20eng
  • Options
    Not one that you mentioned. But to answer the question, yes, it's a great idea to take the quote to your local dealer to allow him the opportunity to match or beat it.

Keep in mind these services vary. Carsdirect is independent of the dealers, they actually compete with them. They still have to buy the car from a dealer but they do have buying power.

Some services are just advertising fronts for individual dealers. Despite their being single-point leads they may be competitive since you will be dealing with the internet or fleet managers and they're often too busy to do more than throw you a bid and hope you take it.

Other services collate competitive bids for you or allow you to bid on a car to see if a dealer will accept your offer. These can be used if you're secure in what you want/need and have a definite price picture in mind.
  • Options
    clscflmclscflm Member Posts: 71
    I noticed Edmund's TV on the 2001.5 has dropped (just when I decide to wait for the 2002!), but was wondering, how can the invoice price drop? Isn't invoice a "true" flat rate of what the dealer paid the manufacturer? If it keeps sinking, how can one have a bench to figure costs (such as trying to estimate how much more the 2002 model will be -- have heard elsewhere about $300-500 increase? Anyone verify that?) -- or negotiate on a current model? Isn't someone who two days ago thought they got a deal paying a few hundred over "invoice" going to be piqued when they discover invoice has "dropped?" Hmm. Am confused.
  • Options
    It's over invoice, under MSRP. They have to adjust it for the market.
  • Options
    I know TMV isn't invoice; but they list MSRP *and* and Invoice prices. How can that price fluctuate?
  • Options
    Hmm...

The only price that ought to fluctuatew is the TMV. That's the target price that Edmunds' lists. I.E. what you ought to be able to buy the car for.

As market conditions change, this changes. Right now, TMV on a Diesel Jetta is well below MSRP. If gas were to go to $5 a gallon tomorrow, TMV on that car would shoot right up to MSRP or above I'd imagine.

And if gas went to 50c a gallon, I bet invoice wouldnt even be a good deal on one.

I've got an interest in a VW store, I havent seen any price changes of late... Next ones would be for the 2002s I'd imagine. My guess is they will go up, but the warranty is also supposed to improve.

Bill
  • Options
    hardhat10hardhat10 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a GLS 1.8T, auto, luxury, leather, homelink this week for $963 over invoice. Would be interested to know what some of you in the business think about my deal. Took darn near three hours at dealership! I'm in WI.
  • Options
    kimmers71kimmers71 Member Posts: 55
    I got a GLS 1.8, 5-speed, luxury, homelink, monsoon and cold weather package for $700 over invoice. I don't think you did bad. As long as you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters.

What dealer did you buy it from? I'm in WI also.
  • Options
    From the data I've seen and dealers I've spoken with...

Pricing on these seems to be the highest in the upper midwest and the Bay area of CA.

I'd say that if you're comfortable with the deal and the store that you did well. The national average is still quite a bit less than $1,000 off of list.

Bill
  • Options
    cmr385sscmr385ss Member Posts: 2
    I want to let everybody know about a great place to buy a new 2001.5 VW Passat (or any car, for that matter) if you are in the tri-state area (NY,NJ,CN). I was very pleased with my transaction.

The place is called CarsBuyTel. The web site address is www.carsbuytel.com

You can input what you are looking to buy on their web site and they will come back with a price right away. The price is definitely lower than any quote that I received from any dealer in the tri-state area and, believe me, I haggled around with many dealers. The base price they gave (including all fees) was 19,990. I bought a 2001.5 Pine Green/Beige interior Passat with automatic/luxury pkg/monsoon for $22,719 (destination not included).

Since they sell many types of new vehicles, they are not a specific VW dealer, but in my estimation it doesn't make a single bit of difference and your wallet will be fatter at the end of the day. You still get the same VW warranty, etc., that you would get if you bought at a VW dealer. Also, much of the BS is cut out because the guy I dealt with and I both knew I was getting a fair price before we even spoke to each other for the first time. The only thing I had to make sure was that he could deliver the exact vehicle that I wanted, which he did in roughly a week or so.

They are located in Long Island City, Queens, NY. The guy I dealt with is named Roy. His e-mail is roy@carsbuytel.com

Do yourselves a favor and check out the website. I'm sure glad I found it.
  • Options
    rfh2rfh2 Member Posts: 6
    An interesting way to buy a car. I also purchased from Roy. All the dealers told me a black on black could not be found. The internet person from one dealer finally called and said he could get me one. When I told him the price I was willing to pay he told me he wasn't going to give the car away; especially a b/b. Roy beat his price by several hundred dollars and I had the car in two weeks. The experience was great. I called again a few weeks ago. I gave him five models I was looking at. While on the phone he ran down the total cost of each vehicle. No hassles, no arguing. Just right to the point! Good luck.
  • Options
    rams160rams160 Member Posts: 11
    I am interested in a 2001.5 GLS w/auto and luxury package in the St. Louis area. Has anyone used priceline.com before for new cars. Am hoping to pay $500-800 over invoice. Cars.direct price is $1 below MSRP.
  • Options
    Email the Internet Sales managers in your area...But, bear in mind there are VERY FEW
    1.8L Turbos out there...you will probably get closer to $750-$1000 over, and then it will
    depend on color...

$1.00 under MSRP is rediculous....
  • Options
    The problem may be location. If there aren't enough dealers or if the car is in short supply in your area the price, even on the internet, tends to be higher.

If you use Priceline you can call in for the search area to be expanded, and you are only bound to the deal if they match your price, color and options exactly. Anything else and you would be able to choose to accept the dealer's counteroffer.
  • Options
    sos007sos007 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Bill...Are you in St. Louis?? Do you sell VW Passat's? If yes please send me an email.I have noticed your reply to others and I am having a difficult time getting the GLX 4Motion price down from near by dealers? email me at: sos007@yahoo.com
  • Options
    cdh2cdh2 Member Posts: 1
    pkradd -- I would like to get a 2001.5 Passat GLS V6, lux pkg and automatic. You said that you are in Coral Springs, FL. Can you tell me which dealership you got your car? Any recommendations?

Thanks
    CDH2
  • Options
    Sorry,

I'm in FL. Used to work at Brentwood a few years ago (Only place to go for a Volvo in StL IMO).

Hmm... if you want a VW in St Louis.. talk to Mid-America or maybe St Charles.

Avoid the uhh "Team" they tend to leave out the "tag" part.

If all else fails, its' amazing how a price from a Chicago dealer will work to your favor.. But in general, from what I see, prices do tend to be highest in the Midwest.

Bill
  • Options
    thsmiththsmith Member Posts: 10
    I received the following price (in NC):

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T
    Candy White with Beige Cloth
    159 miles
    Manual 5 Speed Transmission
    Luxury Package
    Monsoon Stereo
    MSRP: $23,850.00
    Selling Price: $20,617.00
    Sales Tax: $618.51
    License: $61.00
    Title Fee: $179.00
    NET COST: $21,475.51

Any thoughts on this? I have not tried to negotiate, this price received from the internet salesperson at my local dealer.
  • Options
    That's below invoice. I didn't know there were any 2001's left! All I see now are 2001.5's. I wouldn't argue with that price too much if I were you.
  • Options
    Yes, I realize it's below invoice. Seems I read somewhere before (I cannot find it now) that VW dealers received $$ for remaining 2001 Passats in inventory. I am thinking the amount was $3000 - this was after the last rebates expired. If this is true, then there could be some more flexibility.
  • Options
    mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    I just picked up my new Passat last night. I think I got a very good deal.

2001.5 1.8t with 5 speed, lux package, monsoon, cold weather package and homelink for 3% over invoice which was about $675 on the $22,398 invoice. I also got a 6 disk changer free. The dealer opened up a new building exclusively for their VWs and in June and anyone buying a VW got the CD changer. Saved me $500 or so. I did have to pay a $200 advertising fee and some $92 port prep fee. Hopefully I didnt get taken on those.

The car is Mojave Beige with a grey interior. Not the best compbination but I didnt want the black interior and the tan is to bright for me.
  • Options
    cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    I got that same car except with leather package and no monsoon, cold weather, or homelink. I paid $23,000 including fees plus Tax, Title and License. No six disk changer of course.
  • Options
    jodettejodette Member Posts: 9
    I received a quote of $31,200 for a loaded GLX w. cd player. With the lease terms being 36 months- 15K miles, I'll be paying around $400 a month, and paying $2,300 out of pocket.

Does this sound like a good offer? I'm in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT)
  • Options
    nrossinrossi Member Posts: 47
    What is a good deal on a lease for the following car?

1.8T,lux package, monsoon sterio, a.blue, 5spd.

I got a quote from a local dealer for $330/mnth with 1500 due on 36/1200mls lease. How does this stack up?
  • Options
    g20engg20eng Member Posts: 10
    Hey,

That's a great price, I think. It's about $400 less than the carsdirect.com selling price, if you r price includes destination. Anyway, what was your strategy if I may ask?

g20eng
  • Options
    mlc_mimlc_mi Member Posts: 3
    I paid $31,022 for a loaded GLX 4motion about a month ago. So, if you are talking about a 4mo, then your price is about the same.

My price was including an in-dash CD and the $550 destinaiton charge, but not counting documntaiton, title, tax, plates, etc.
  • Options
    cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    Be patient and flexible. Just keep going back to your circle of dealers and let them know that you will buy when the deal is "invoice or close". If you are open to a few color combo's I think you will be surprised when one of the dealers finally caves. Make sure it's them that caves though and not you!
  • Options
    There was $1500 paid to dealers not $3000...Don't get greedy...
  • Options
    I was gonna say.... I thought I got left out.

There was a final payment of $1,500 on all MY01 Passats. $3K would have been nice...But it wasn't needed IMHO. Also, massive incentives will only kill the resale value of these cars.

Bill
  • Options
    mtwallacemtwallace Member Posts: 28
    FYI - I just got a 2001 V6, 5spd with luxury pkg and monsoon. MSRP $26450, including dest chg; sales price $23327 or $722 under invoice. I didn't negotiate, it was advertised in the newspaper, and I thought it was a good deal. The dealer (in Sacramento, CA) has five more to choose from if anyone else is interested - all 5-spd with luxury package and most with monsoon.
  • Options
    Actually, that was a step incentive...$1500 ended 2/28...along with the alternative
    subvented rates...Anything on the ground got a flat $1000 paid through EFT.
  • Options
    I'm not trying to be greedy - just informed. That's why I posted the question here before going and making a $3k below invoice offer to my local dealer. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Will 2001.5s have such good prices as the 2001s soon as the 2002s come out? Is it true 2001.5s are already hard to locate with specific options?
  • Options
    sanslinksanslink Member Posts: 11
    I've been following this board for a while and have seen a lot of useful information on pricing for the New Passat. We're ready to buy but there are 4 dealers in the immediate Seattle area and we don't know much about any of them. If anyone has dealt with one of the dealers in Seattle, any information you could share would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    I've dealt with most of them at one time or another. Usually we get the best deals from Auburn's Rachel Schnoor, but Pignataro has been known to step up to the plate and offer some good deals too. Don't rule out Dave Wood at University either. Sheesh, that's most of them!
  • Options
    Just to clarify...If you had purchased this car before the end of February
    you would have been able to take advantage of either the Incentive...$1500,
    or the Subvented Financing through VCI; we were not allowed both.

At the end of the Program the Dealers received $1000 for each remaining
    Passat...So, at this point in time you could probably get this for $1000 back
    of Invoice. That makes a net zero deal, but they will be happy to see it go!!!
  • Options
    I double checked.. you were right, and if anyone should have known that it's me.

I was thinking of something re: MY00 cars.

Bill