Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    itslisaitslisa Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 VW 'new' bug convertible, loaded pkg. Lease is up. Miles less than 18k. Harvest beige/tan top. Interior immaculate. Few stone chips in paint. Tires still good. Maintained as per VW @ dealership. I would like to know the RWV as compared to the end lease buy out price of $16k. Also, what fees would be additional to buy out? Thank you.
  • Options
    stevekalstevekal Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    Can you please help provide an estimated trade in value on the following:
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/ Rear entertainment system (factory)
    160,000 miles. i bought it new in 04.
    condition: average
    tires: 50%
    needs front rotors and pads
    massachusetts area

I'd be trading it in for a new odyssey.
  • Options
    delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    No new car dealer will keep this on his lot.Especially with 160k miles.No point trading this.Put it on Craigslist and sell privately.Much better option.Miles just kill the resale value.
    The dealer will probably give 1500 max .
    Also the 04 Odyssey is the previous design`s last year.The 05 was a new redesign.
    Volvomax an give u the most accurate info.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Both cars are going over the block in the $10-11,000 range.
  • Options
    Wholesale is in the $14k range,so $16k buyout is fine.
    Have to add sales tax and title/license fees to that price.
  • Options
    Wholesale in the $23-25k range. CPO adds at least $3000.
    Figure high $20's to low $30's for a sale price.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Thanks Volvomax.
  • Options
    itslisaitslisa Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for your feedback volvomax. (Please read on.)

In your opinion, should l try to offer the dealer $14-15K for the buy out? (VW won't budge on a closed lease), told me to talk w/ the dealer which I realize may well be passing the buck. I have NO ideas how realistic negotiating this w/dealer even is. (VW corp, etc is a don't give a d--- kinda operation, "Did we say we CARE"?!)

What about getting a used 'Volvo' instead. I'm guessing that you have some opinions about that mfr.!
  • Options
    thanks for your input ... I'm hoping you are waay low but we'll see what volvomax says. if its worth that little than maybe i'll just keep it until it dies. thanks again for your advice.
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I looked on fee-bay--a couple of 04 honda odyssey's with 100K miles had sold for $9K-ish. With 160K miles--I'll make an amateur guess that you might get 1/3 to 1/2 that if you go thru the dues of selling it privately (?). And don't forget the used car Lemon Laws in Mass......

Price it right, pics, records if you have them, put it on CL, it "could" be gone in a weekend.....
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Based on personal experience, I can tell you that high-mileage Hondas are perfect candidates for private sales. (I sold mine in one day.) You will certainly net more by selling it yourself than you could by trading it in - even if you could find a dealer willing to take it off your hands.

Do you have any friends with newly licensed teenage children? Start there.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Based on personal experience, I can tell you that high-mileage Hondas are perfect candidates for private sales

Same with me, last year I sold a 99 CRV with 140Kmiles on Craigslist for $6K in less than a week. I think Terry said it best, used Toyotas and Hondas get all the stupid money. Just be sure maintenance is up to date, tires are decent, and the vehicle is detailed.
  • Options
    robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    What car would you rather have/ is a better buy? Both are priced about the same. The S60 is a 2008 with 20,000 and the 2.5 turbo with auto, leather and moonroof. This car is at a dealer. The Acura is a TSX with 29000, auto and a 2007 for 20,000. I may have the year wrong on the Acura it may actually be a 2008 because isn't a 20,000 a little high. The Acura is a private party. I realize that they are different cars but I am shopping on price.
  • Options
    bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    Not really a trade-in question, but TSX easily. Repairs on Volvos are pricey and frequent. Depreciation is also an issue.
  • Options
    hi, Volvomax, when you have a chance, I'd love your opinion of the trade in value on the 2004 odyssey! Thanks
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Hi, I own this car and am looking to sell it privately. Since I am driving 2K per month on it, would also like to know my "point of no return", mileage-wise - where the value really drops off to not being worth much. Thanks.

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nissan Maxima SE
    Body Style: 4d
    Engine: 3.0l 6-cyl AT
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 140,000
    Color: [exterior/interior] charcoal grey / grey
    Major Options: power windows/doors, CD, sunroof.
    Condition:
    Interior is in pretty good shape for the age, there are some stains on one of the rear mats I am trying to get out. Exterior - lots of highway miles so front is chipped, and a number of minor dents/door dings since I park in a public garage daily :-|
    Tires - about 10K used - maybe 80% left.
    Brakes - Front will be new pads, rotors are good. Rear about 8/32 left.
    Maintenance - I have all records - regular and otherwise. Mobil1 every 5K.
    Other: minor parking-lot scrape on rear bumper - bumper cover replaced a couple years ago but looks great.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I thought del was right and then I looked at Manheim. These things still go for stupid money.
    I'd say $4-5000 on a trade if it looks decent.
  • Options
    Problem is,dealer doesn't own the car. VW finance does. VW Finance says talk to the dealer because they aren't set up to deal with the public. Volvo Finance does the same thing. It COULD be that VW would give the dealer a break on buying the car. I'm not familiar with how they operate. You can make the dealer any ofer you want,all they can do is say no.
  • Options
    You passed that point 40k miles ago. :P

Probably a $3000 car private party.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Not fictional at all.

For instance, I have 2 cars. The van gets about 9k miles per year and the roadster about 6k miles.

I bought the roadster at 8 years of age with only 26k miles. Sold it when it was 16 years old and just over 60k miles.

There are lots of people with more than one car. IIRC Autoweek had a pool and the average subscriber to that car mag owned 5.3 cars, something like that.

So maybe 1-2 of those 5 cars is getting high miles, but the other 3 are not.

The real problem with high miles is that many buyers will walk away regardless of the price, so you've narrowed down your potential buyers substantially.

So not only is a high mile car worth less, it sells to a far smaller audience, and usually they're bargain shopping, potentially lowering the price even more.
  • Options
    subzombiesubzombie Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I would really appreciate a little help getting an accurate price on my car.

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX 4D sedan
    manual 5 speed
    Greensboro, NC
    turbo charged 4 cylinder
    AWD
    73250 miles
    Color: Blue outside, black inside
    Factory Options:
    Turbo gauge, rear spoiler, premium audio

Condition:
    Never been wrecked, never had any paint work.

Exterior:
    A couple small hard to see dings on passenger door, couple little paint chips on hood scoop, small scrape on front bumper, otherwise looks fine

Interior:
    Other than normal wear, nothing of note.

Tires are nearly new and were expensive

brake pads were replaced last year.

It had a new transmission and clutch installed last year and they might have 5K miles on them.

Regular maintence
  • Options
    foundationcarsfoundationcars Member Posts: 11
    Hello,
    Looking for a trade in value for my Odyssey...

07 EX-L (no DVD, no Nav)
    Cleveland, OH
    26,500 miles
    Slate green over olive
    Typical ex-l equipment (leather, moonroof, alloys)
    tires 50%
    all maint. done at honda dealership
    one owner
    Quarter panel repainted due to parking lot scratch
    Clean carfax
    No dings or scratches currently
    Interior excellent condition

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    CR actually rates the S60 as having above-average reliability. It is or was listed as one of their recommended vehicles. The Volvo is also going to be more powerful than the TSX.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm thinking about falling off the wagon; the General is pushing GM card money and other rebates at me to buy one of their fine products.

'07 Vibe -- base wagon; only trim level that year
    Dark gray metallic paint; gray cloth interior
    20k miles
    5sp manual [of course!]
    Car is clean, non-smoker, no odors, good shape, maintained.

Usual equipment: air/pwr/remote/cruise/CD
    Plus ABS, side and side curtain air bags.

No nav, no sunroof, no alloys

What's she worth wholesale, and what's a good number to shoot for private party?

I'm gonna guess $9.5-10 trade-in;
    Ask $11,5 on Craigs, take mid-to-high $10. Am I off?

I can get the same thing in an '09, out-the-door, for under $14 and if the #s work out, I think we'll trade up.

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    Having a new tranny isn't a plus in this car.
    It will make people wonder if the car has been thrashed.

Figure $6-7,000 trade in.
  • Options
    Figure $22-23k.
  • Options
    I think you are pretty much on it.
    Trade $9-9500.
  • Options
    Volvomax,
    A brand new 09 Honda Odyssey EX-L right now is 28.6k.So a 2 year model with about 30k miles is still worth 22-23k?That`s a very high resale value.Better to buy new,I guess.I am very surprised.
    Shows that probably Honda resale values are the best.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Ha ha thanks. There are a number of Maximas around that age (00-02) in my area on craigslist, and a few in the local paper, all generally much more than that. Of course, that doesn't mean they'll sell for that money!
  • Options
    subzombiesubzombie Member Posts: 2
    Carmax offered me $7900...

Dealership yesterday offered 8,150.

I was also told that for private sale a new tranny in it would be very good because the wrx transmissions are notoriously fragile?
  • Options
    kinsalekinsale Member Posts: 33
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a 2006 Lexus ES330 certified pre owned.
    It has 28k miles on it. No extra options that I can tell.

Dealer is looking for $21600.

i was wondering how much they may have into it?
    Even though it is CPO I'm kinda nervous buying a 3 year old car. i plan to keep for at least 4 years.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Generally speaking, new engine/tranny is frowned upon by buyers. They think it means the car was abused.

Great trade in value if its ACV.
  • Options
    Wholesale is @ $17,000. CPO can add $2000.
    Good price at $21,600.
    No reason to be nervous buying a CPO car.
  • Options
    Even though it is CPO I'm kinda nervous buying a 3 year old car

You're nervous buying a 3 y.o. lexus with 28K miles, & CPO? That's pretty nervous. You could pay around the same $$ for a brand new Accord or Camry; cars made for the Seriously Nervous...... then there's Xanax of course.....
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    This is for the oldtimers around here.

I used to email sporadically with Terry, until about a year ago. Then I got no answers on the last couple of mails.

A few weeks ago, out of the blue, I get a "hello how are you?" from him, and why didn't I write?

I answered, of course, but haven't heard anything. I strongly suspect that I'm landing in his spam folder. If anybody here is still in contact with Terry, would you please shoot me an email? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the OT post.

Cheers -Mathias
  • Options
    otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
    Ahhhh Terry !

Last I heard of him is he bought a new place (mansion?) in Palm Beach!
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Looking for a $ value on a red '07 Volvo S40 with just shy of 36k miles down in South Florida. Interior & exterior look clean. Car is a base model with just an auto tranny...no power seats even...just your basic S40. Always liked this generation and we have the sister car, Mazda 3s but it has the 4 cylinder instead of the S40's 5 cylinder engine. Paper said $14,995, but am curious at what price should I start at? Would probably be trading my '06 Civic LX with Honda 16" alloys. My Civic is at 21.5k but they already have a '08 LX on the lot right now, so they'd definitely low ball me on the trade-in price.

Funny, I was on the lot and even sat in the car for like 5 minutes and no one even came over...and 2 sales guys were outside having a smoke break. Guess this dealership is making great $ in this economy. This Volvo is at the Hyundai dealer we bought the Accent at last thanksgiving.

Volvomax, could you please give me a realistic price to offer with and without the Civic trade. It would be greatly appreciated. Want to go in with a price that will make them think I'm serious, and I know you can be spot on with Volvo pre-owned prices. Not crazy about the red color but the car looks pretty cool. Will probably go test drive it on Monday morning.

Again, thanks for all you do! Always enjoyed your posts as well as Terry's.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    It sounds like the same disappearing act he did here 2-3 years ago--leaving a lot of people concerned, & wondering........ Now a Spam folder, for you??
  • Options
    stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    Austin, TX area

29K miles
    Sport model
    4-door, AWD, 6-speed manual
    Black/black
    new tires
    Good condition, no dents or dings, no accidents, original owner

Just wondering the trade-in value, considering moving up (down?) to a new Mazdaspeed 3. Could use the utility of a hatchback.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    S40 is somewhere in the $11-12k range wholesale.

Civic in the $10k range as a trade.
  • Options
    Figure $13-14k.
  • Options
    Thanks Max, I appreciate the info.
  • Options
    misterjj1misterjj1 Member Posts: 2
    Year/Make/Model: 2004 Mazda6 S
    Body Style: 4dr
    Engine: 3.0L V6 Auto
    Driveline: FWD
    Mileage: 118,000 Miles
    Color: Black
    Options: Sport Package, Alloy Wheels, Leather, Bose Audio System, Power Moon Roof, Heated Front Seats, Power Drivers Seat and Heated Side Mirrors.
    Condition: Exterior paint still shines, few minor scratches. Two quarter size dings on the front drivers side door. New brakes and rotors, new front tires, no mechanical issues. Interior leather is in good condition, no fading or tears. Small stain on rear drivers side passenger seat.
    Other: Front bumper was replaced after small dent caused from hitting a dog. No paint or frame work required, bumper was pre-painted from factory. I am the original owner and have 75% of all the maintenance records since purchase.

Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    krwest1krwest1 Member Posts: 74
    This one is for my parents. I convinced them to get a new CR-V -- slight upgrade, don't you think? What is the trade-in worth? They have been offered $2k, with a $500 under invoice price on the CR-V. It sounds reasonable to me.

Northern Virginia
    2001 Kia Sportage Limited
    4dr
    auto trans
    4WD
    70,000 miles
    standard Limited options (pw,pl,remote,etc.)
    very well maintained and all service up to date.
    not sure about tires and brakes, but assume they are in pretty good shape.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Volvomax,
    Are u sure of this one ? 13-14k? A brand new 09 Mazda Speed 6 with manual tran. is 19.2k .
    That would be a very high resale value if so.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I would suggest you sell this Kia privately.B`cos it is relatively low mileage and is a 4 door,you can get more than a dealer trade.
    Yes 2k is what the dealer would give you.Probably 200-300 more,but not more.And Kias have the worst depreciation out there.
    Volvomax can give u a more accurate estimate.
  • Options
    They don't make a 2009 Mazdaspeed 6. They were only made in 2006 and 2007, as a special version of the Mazda 6. They are all 6-speed sticks, with a turbo-4 and all-wheel drive.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.I did not know that.
    What was the original invoice or MSRP in 06/07 on those versions?
  • Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Looking for trade-in value - thanks!

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited
    Body Style: [2dr/4dr/wagon] - Van
    Engine: [3.5 liter, 4/6 cylinder, auto/manual] Auto
    Driveline: [FWD/RWD/AWD/4WD] - FWD
    Mileage: 44,000
    Color: [exterior/interior] - Pearl White, Grey Leather
    Major Options: [alloys, sun roof, etc.] - DVD, everything else standard
    Condition:
    Details of interior and exterior, including dings, scratches etc. - A couple of scratches on the exterior, but paint is still shiny. Interior looks very nice. Car is cleaned often.
    Tires - new or % worn - 90%
    Brakes - 90%
    Maintenance - up to date
    Other: Indicate prior damage/insurance claims, repaints, etc. - Bumper replaced
  • Options
    lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I didn't think Mazda even made those anymore.