Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    SYNC and the SES/SEL just adds $$ and won't get back in resale.

The reason the dealer has them on their lot still is the non-SYNC vehicles aren't moving so fast. I would consider it $395 well spent so you can unload the car later. Foci sell to a youth market, especially used, and youth have iPods. If you are going to sell your car to a little old lady, thats fine, but you might want to start looking for her now.
  • Options
    tomcatt630tomcatt630 Member Posts: 124
    I stand corrected, as iPods are not luxury items these days. I should have just said, get a Focus model with sellable features.

The Focus S is too stripped, no one wants crank windows. The SEL is too pricey, the leather seats won't add value.
  • Options
    crvwencrvwen Member Posts: 5
    Thank you!!
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I stand corrected, as iPods are not luxury items these days. I should have just said, get a Focus model with sellable features.

Yup, that makes total sense. SYNC is also a bluetooth phone deal so all the places that have hands free laws (like California) are making these hot commodities.

The Focus S is too stripped, no one wants crank windows. The SEL is too pricey, the leather seats won't add value.

Again I concur for the most part, unless you live somewhere cold. If you are going to be driving it for a few winters, you might like the heated seats that come with leather. You aren't going to get back what you paid for it, but you might enjoy it more in the mean time.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Should be able to pick it up for $6-7,000
  • Options
    M3 on a trade somewhere in the mid $40's.

Tahoe, $30-31,000

Frontier @ $19-20,000
  • Options
    First of all, what do you mean by "light" damage?

Any bodywork is expensive,esp if it is over 2 panels.

If you do have to do any work, $6000 is an appropriate price on a trade.
  • Options
    $19k is right at auction value, so its a good buy if you want to keep it.
  • Options
    figure @ $14,000
  • Options
    Well, you're all over the place.
    Figure $14-15k for the Pony.
  • Options
    What engine on the Accord?

04 Ody should bring $10-11,000

Don't know if Acura?Honda has any attractive leases right now.
  • Options
    $4-5,000 on a trade. Probably worth putting the car on Craigslist.
  • Options
    ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    WOW, '98s are going for that much? This one's marked $5200, which I thought sounded high for a 12 year-old vehicle (even a low-mile CRV); maybe I should grab it.
  • Options
    whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    So that means the dealer would expect to receive 19k if I turned it and he sold it rather than keeping it on their lot? Or, they might keep it on their own lot.

I thought it was a good deal. Not much better I could buy for that price. Some people on the Murano boards seem to think since it was a lease that it's never a good deal to buy it out. I think it is, considering what the same 19k could buy me. I couldn't buy one like it for less.

I'm buying the extended Nissan gold warranty before my factory warranty expires.
    Does having a year left on an extended warranty ( a good warranty) help w/resale later down the road?

Thank you for your guidance.
  • Options
    bmurnerbmurner Member Posts: 2
    Any idea of a ball park trade-in value for a 2006 Subaru Forester XT Ltd./Manual with 60,000 miles? Car is good condition, no accidents, repairs, etc.- all verified maintenance - in Cleveland, OH.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    "Does having a year left on an extended warranty ( a good warranty) help w/resale later down the road?"

No. From a buyer's perspective, I don't see a lot of difference between a used car with no warranty, and one which has 6 months/1 year left--the time window is so short that the likelihood of an expensive repair is slim.

Buy it if you need to for your own peace of mind, not as an investment.
  • Options
    Yeah, on your car the bank would break even at the auction. Which is good for them.
    Extended warranties don't add any value on a trade in and limited value for private party sales.
  • Options
    achenatorachenator Member Posts: 128
    really, that's about what I figured on the M3. I paid 66k 10 months ago. OUCH

The Tahoe seems high. Also the truck seems high. I paid like 22k for it in October.

Those are trade prices right?
  • Options
    shfd739fmshfd739fm Member Posts: 3
    Im asking for a friend of mine about an '05 Scion TC. He is getting a divorce and the wife left it behind. Trade or private party. He has a truck and just wants the car gone.

'05 Scion TC man. trans w/ 63k miles in Mobile,AL.Color is dark gray with the darker interior.
    Has a short throw shift and the basic options. Body is ok with a few dings from parking lots.
    Maintenance is caught up, tires decent as are the brakes.
  • Options
    triggertrigger Member Posts: 18
    2006 F150 KR 4x4 with every option available and the truck is in immaculate condition

6.5' bed
    opt fuel tank
    towing pkg
    parking sensors
    spray-in liner
    20" wheels
    audiophile sound w/6disc MP3
    tubular running boards / nerf bars
    power rear slider
    sunroof
    adj pedals
    43k mi
    <$2500 dmg accident to psgr side door
    Replaced all four tires with OEM Pirelli ATRs yesterday

Baton Rouge, LA 70809
    Thanks!
  • Options
    delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    2500 damage-- so, the dealer will not accept it as immaculate condition.Does the report show up on Carfax?If yes,,then the trade value can be hit..If not,then it would depend on how good the repair was? When and what was the damage for?
  • Options
    Was repaired by one of the most, if not the most, reputable shops in town. Old lady ran an intersection, jumped the curb and hit the psgr side door of my truck while it was sitting in the parking lot.

Door was replaced and I could not tell the difference before vs after.

Yes, it shows up as Moderate Damage on carfax.
  • Options
    Yep. Frontier usually has pretty good resale and large SUV prices have been tracking upward for the last couple of months.
  • Options
    Probably $7-8,000 on a trade. Figure another $2-3k for private party.
  • Options
    Gotta agree w/ del. Once a car has been damaged and repaired it is no longer considered to be in top condition. Even if you can't tell the difference in the repair a pro could. Plus you have the added whammy of a bad Carfax report. Retail buyers stay away from those cars so that will cost you $$.

Unmolested, the truck would bring low $20's on a trade. With a bad Carfax maybe high teens.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    That Tahoe trade number now has me curious. I know I'll kick myself for asking, but here goes.

'05 XC90 2.5T AWD.
    Premium and cold weather.
    Gold over tan.
    45k miles.

What's it lookin like at auction these days?

For comparison sake, how bout this, too?
    '04 G35X. Silver over black.
    All but Nav.
    50k miles.

Both cars are clean with good rubber and maintenance.

As always, thanks for your time, vmax.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    falling off the wagon soon?

FYI, prices on nice R's bottomed out and seem to be trending up. Especialy wagons.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Thanks for the info. That's pretty much spot on from the two dealerships I visited last week. The GMC dealer offered $18700 and the Ford dealer offered ~$20k when pushed. Though that was before I put tires on it.

Guess I should have pushed for more than $1000 from her insurance for the vehicle value reduction...

Do you think the truck would be a tough sale @ $23k private party if I disclosed the accident up front and had pictures and documentation to back up all that was done?
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I just sold a 22,000 mile 2007 V70R six speed with basketball leather, extra set of wheels with snow tires, roof rack, and a few other extras that was completely perfect for $28,800 certified.
  • Options
    r000r000 Member Posts: 53
    The Altima was sideswiped in a parking lot. Basically there is a dented streak across both doors.

So, $6000 is fair for an Altima with that type of damage? How come KBB is $1500 off real world numbers?

Thanks, Volvomax.
  • Options
    If the Ford dealer is offering 20k after seeing the carfax report,,my opinion would be that it is is the best offer possible.With time,the value will go down significantly especially with a bad carfax.Even 19k is a good deal in MHO.
    Just curious,what are you planning to buy if you are trading in this?
    Also 23k from a private party would be tough as they would be cautious about the carfax and financing also would be tough and very few people pay outright cash for that much amount.
    Do you own the truck completely or is their any loan/lien on it or do you have any negative equity?
    Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    As Vmax and others would tell you-KBB,Nada,Edmunds TMV,blackbook-- these are just guides.A rough estimate..Take the average of all these and you reach an average rough estimate value for your trade.The main purpose of these guides are just to get a rough estimate,so that you are aware if the dealer quotes you outrageous prices.
    Plus these guides are updated slowly and so they are back by a few months.
    Vmax gives us the real auction values--what these cars are going for right now at the auction--and thus his values are the most accurate.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    zaddickzaddick Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I have not posted in many years, but the itch for a new convertible is growing as the weather in SF is warming. I am looking for guidance before negotiating on a 2004 S4 cabriolet. The car has many options (though somehow not heated seats!) including auto tranny. The car currently has about 60,000 miles. Edmunds says $22.5 for retail and $18 for trade in, both figures for excellent condition. The car is a CPO. I think it has been sitting around and the dealer is ready to clear it out. I know CPO does not equal new, but it buys me some sanity for two years.

Any thoughts on a fair offering price? The dealer is asking $22.5 now (I think the original asking was something like $28 in fantasy land).

Thanks in advance,

Z
  • Options
    I was looking at 2x4 GM pickups with the 6.2l engine. Though I also test drove an 09 F150 for reference and to see what they would offer for the trade.

I still owe on it and sounds like I would be upside down unless I was able to sell it private party.
  • Options
    How much are you upside down?Any specific reason you want to trade the truck in?Has it been unreliable?
    Have you considered the `08 Toyota Tundra? It was redesigned for 08 and a pre-owned low mileage 08 Tundra can be a very good deal --with very good resale value and reliability.
    Just MHO.
  • Options
    eatonjameatonjam Member Posts: 7
    Washington, DC
    2004 Mazdaspeed Miata in Grey with black Leather
    2dr convertible, turbo 4 cyl
    21,100 miles
    No visible damage clean carfax report. 2 owner car. 1st owner only shows one oil change and no other maintenance that shows up on the carfax. 2nd owner only had the car for about a year and put 1k miles on it.
  • Options
    sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    Looking for an average auction value on the following:

2003 Honday Odyssey EX FWD
    172,000 miles
    Tires Good
    Good Condition

Southeastern Louisiana

Thanks
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    we had our gen 3 sho for 6 years, after having gen 1 and gen 2.
    it could have used some polishing up in certain areas, but it was a very enjoyable car.
    we are not looking at the new gen 4 edition.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Owe 22.6. I have no problems with the truck. It's only been in the shop for a leaky seal (wind noise) around the rear slider.

I just want something sportier. Not really interested in the Toyota.
  • Options
    A sportier sedan or a sportier truck?If it`s a sedan,,then ,boy- a huge change from a loaded powerful truck to a much smaller 4dr/2dr sedan/coupe ! :shades:
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    He said a 4x2 Chevy with the 6.2L Should be quicker and handle a lot better than the Ford. Only downside is steering feel IMHO, but Ford and Chevy are both lacking in that dept. I'd look at the Dodge too...the '09 seems to be quite a good truck and best combination of ride/handling I've seen.
  • Options
    My issue is that I regularly have to haul things; trailers, my 750cc ATV, etc. And I'm a leggy 6'4" so I can't hardly fit in a car. So a "sporty" truck will have to be the compromise.

I understand that it will never compete with an even somewhat sporty coupe or sedan in an autocross, but that's not my goal.
  • Options
    I have driven the dodge and it is pretty sweet, but I've had bad experiences with Dodge on the farm. Usually interior/electrical type things. The driveline is built like a tank (in the past at least) but it seems like the rest of the truck falls apart around it.
  • Options
    @ $14k on the Volvo

$14-15k on the Infiniti.
  • Options
    Not going to be easy,although the documentation would help.
    If there are enough unmolested trucks on the market it could take you a while. If the $20k offer from Ford is legit(meaning ACV) might be better to take it.
  • Options
    Hard to say, not much of a track record to go on.
    I'd try the dealer @ $20k and see what happens.
  • Options
    Figure somewhere between $13-14,000
  • Options
    about $3000 if it look decent.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    thank you.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    q's getting happy feet again....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.