Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    and also enjoy the vehicle with 105,000 miles. Several of our friends have opted for new cars ranging from the Avalon to Lincoln LS. I admire the 2003 Executive, however, our portfolio of equities enable us to hold fast to that which is good and the 94 Towncar is still very good. If you can pay cash for a new Towncar and not draw down your retirement funds below one million, go for it. We have appliances older than 10 years and we don't plan to replace them because they are still working very well.

When we were 60 years younger our parents believed that 100,000 miles was the limit for a car. Pontiac used to advertise, "Good for 100,000 miles." But, those were the days of higher engine speeds due to no "Overdrive" and the lubricants were not as efficient then as they are today. With the advent of synthetic oil and other lubricants plus the Overdrive, cars last significantly longer. Your Towncar is very safe to drive anywhere so long as you take the care of it as you would a new car. Next time you are in a dealership, take note of the "new" cars in there for "warranty work" remembering they are practically new. I recommend you change all fluids including the axle, serpentine belt, and hoses if it has been a long time since doing so and continue to enjoy the style of the '97 Towncar.
  • speedsk8speedsk8 Member Posts: 2
    1995 Cartier with rag top and all options?
    Body in great shape. Only 44,000 miles
    Interior is perfect.
    My father is nervous that the car has had 3 owners (all in FLA), but the carfax check reported no issues.
    The current owner has driven only 4,00 miles in the past 2 years, but says he loves the car (he cannot drive anymore)

The price? $6500
    I don't care for the carnival top and chrome wheel well add ons, but take it 100 miles and see how it drives out.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    "With the advent of synthetic oil and other lubricants plus the Overdrive, cars last significantly longer."

Not to mention improved metallurgy and manufacturing procedures. I've got a '95 T-Bird with a 4.6L V-8 that's got 221,000 miles on it. It burns oil, but still runs. I've had to do a few little things like replace the water pump (a job I hope I never have to do again) get a leaky rear seal in the transmission fixed, replace the heater core, as well as the usual stuff like brakes, hoses, belts, ect. Not 100% trouble free, but all relatively minor things, and for 221,000 miles, I'm willing to accept a certain amount of "wrong" in my car.
  • evilpancakewomevilpancakewom Member Posts: 35
    I have been interested in many other cars and I'm intersted in the cost to repair items in this car compared to foreign cars. If the cost is the same to replace a part in an American Car compared to a German Car then I may as well get a German car.
    shop for Ford Crown Victoria parts that are interchangeable with the Towncar at still a lower price.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    In my experience, the Town Car is a small fortune less to keep running than any German car, and the service on the Town Car is less than a Japanese luxury car. Town Cars and Lexus/Infiniti reliability are pretty close, at least for the first 100,000k.
  • marjermarjer Member Posts: 5
    I traded an '00 Cont. for a 03TC last July and posted by thoughts on the two vehicles. The TC now has 15,000 on it. It has front seats from hell. The increased power is ok but it is still under powered and not as agile as the Continental. I thought the Continental would be back for 05 or 06 model year and I would suffer through till then. Apparently this is not going to happen so the TC is going to go. We are about to take a 2,000 trip. I wish I knew a chiropractor to go with us for frequent spine manipulation. When the car went in for the 15,000 maintenance, the tech asked if there were any gripes. I said only the seat from hell, and he said you and everyone else.
    Mind you, I don't disagree.....what they have done to this car is criminal. My sources seem to tell me this car is pretty much only made for livery and fleet service anymore, and they obviously don't care how the driver feels. But I have noticed (in my frequent rentals) that the Signature seats are a tad better, the ones in the Executive are just awful.....
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    You mentioned the 2 old models of Lincoln, but forgot to mention the LS. If you haven't driven one, the drive/ride is fantastic. The seats were designed by Johnson Control & I have had this car on several high mileage trips - and always, always feel refreshed and ready to go at the end of a trip. The LS is a superb touring machine & has one of the best safety records (some publication rated it in the top 5 safest vehicles.)

As far as room-a-plenty for storage in the LS - yes, it is a lot smaller than a towncar, but you just learn to take the essentials along, that's all.
    The LS is a totally different car than the Town Car, admittedly, and it's pure quality, no argument. The Town Car used to be too, until 98. It's not getting the attention it used to, I think that's all we're saying....
  • bolshoibolshoi Member Posts: 3
    I'm purchasing a new 2003 Exec TC here in the States but just learned that I'm going to be moving to Toronto within the next 8 weeks. Does anyone here know if the vehicle as delivered in the USA will be acceptable for inspections in Canada, or are there any alterations/modifications I'll need to make? Many thanks.
  • papapossumpapapossum Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 TC with 100K. When in cruise control at 65mph on a level road the trannie will suddenly drop out of o/d and then upshift back into o/d. It will repeat this cycle 3 or 4 times and then be normal for the next 50 to 100 miles or so. I bought the car last fall with about 94k on it. I checked the service records at the dealership and saw that the transmission had been flushed 3 times on separate occasions. I assume for the same problem. Apparently this is not a fix for this problem. Anyone with any ideas
    Well, for one, I think you'll need to have the dealer program the Daytime Running Lights function to "on". He should be able to do that.
    Don't know if there's anything else.....
    You may be a quart or two low. Our 94 with 105,000 has never done that - yet.
  • limolimo Member Posts: 20
    WE'RE A SMALL (TEN VEHICLE) LIMO SERVICE IN THE NEW YORK METRO AREA. NINE VEHICLES ARE TC'S, RANGING FROM 1995 TO 2003, EXECUTIVES AND SIGNATURES. THE TENTH VEHICLE IS A 2001 FORD E-350 CLUB WAGON WITH V-10 ENGINE. MILEAGE RANGES FROM 405,00+ TO 23,000. THE OLDEST TC, A '95 SIGNATURE, HAS THE HIGHEST MIEAGE, ORIGINAL ENGINE, USING LESS THAN A QUART OF OIL BETWEEN CHANGES. WE USE ONLY SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE ENGINES, SYNTHETIC TRANS. FLUID AND SYNTHETIC REAR LUBE. WE DON'T HAVE ANY RELIABILITY PROBLEMS WITH THESE CARS. MOST OF THE CARS ARE OVER 200K MILES, WITH ORIGINAL TRANS STILL WORKING HAPPILY. WE DON'T LIKE THE SEATS IN THE 2000-2002 EXECUTIVE LONG DOORS, BUT THE '03 LONG DOOR (L SERIES) SEATS ARE EQUAL TO THE 95-97 SIGNATURE SEATS IN COMFORT, PLUS ALL THE RADIO/CLIMATE/SPEED CONTROL BUTTONS ARE ON THE WHEEL IN THE '03.
    That's good to know.....thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    limo - thanks for the info, and welcome to the Town Hall!

With your Town Car experience, you probably have a lot to contribute to this discussion.

If I may, I'd like to ask you to take the "caps lock" off when you post. All caps make a message difficult to read, and is often interpreted as "shouting" which I am quite sure you did not intend.

Anyway, we are glad to have you here. : )

If I can help you find your way around, please feel free to drop me an email.
  • divmsmdivmsm Member Posts: 7
    Hello Folks,
    Unhappily, due to knee/access problems, I have to give up my 2001 Toyota Highlander. (Great car). I'm looking for a big car that's easy to get in & out of. I have wavered between the Lincoln Town Car & Cadillac DeVille. I cannot afford a new one so will buy a 2001 or 2000. I have read the message boards on both Edmund's Lincoln & Caddy sites and it appears that the TC people are happier with their choice than the Caddy folks. I like the TC's looks better re aesthetics.

I have a chance to get a 2001 Exec. TC with 18,500 original mi from a dealer for $23,500. It has got just about every bell & whistle except a CD player. I intend to run its history through carfax before I buy. I have one worry though - some Lincoln writers have mentioned that a TC is not good in the snow. I live in Mass-
    achusetts & this winter was the worst in about 30 years. We had snow about every 3-4 days. Many of the storms were only 3-6 inches but some were a couple of feet. I had thought that a big car like this would get around OK in snow. I don't have a long commute and most driving is local that I do. I am spoiled by 25 years of driving SUVs in the snow. Anybody out there have advice for me re TCs in the snow? If you could let me know fairly soon, I would appreciate it as I don't know how long this TC will be on the lot so I intend to buy soon. Thanks.
    and having driven RWD big Ford vehicles since 1967, the last three being Towncars, since 1980, the Towncar is very adept in snow providing the driver is experienced in snow driving and uses the correct tires. I have never had to use any tire, but the Michelin All Season, however, it is my understanding the company makes a tire specifically engineered for snow. I believe it is the Alpine. There are other brands of snow tires as well, but the Michelin All Season has worked for me. When the "Chains Required" sign is posted, it doesn't make any difference what tire you have. As stopping is more important than starting, perhaps the Alpine on all four wheels would be recommended.

If you are trading in your Highlander, the price of the Towncar is not as important as the cash difference between the two. If not trading in, the price seems to be about 2 grand high. Check out Autotrader and E bay for values.

My old skiing knees have been helped by 1000 mg of Glucosamine Sulfate daily for over two years.
    LOL. Kinley
    as I don't think it will be bid up over $21,000, but you can watch it on ebay and use it to deal.
      Lincoln:Town_Car Color: Silver
     22525 miles
     $19,000.00
     -
     8d 20h 38m

Signature 2001 Lincoln Towncar Signature 21K MUST SEE

This page was last updated: Jun-14 10:18 eBay official time 11:49:24 PDT
    Thanks Kinley for sharing your experience. The tire advice sounds good & certainly Michelin has a good reputation. I would probably get the All Season installed.

As for the trade in, I would have to come up with
    $5,200. in cash. Unfortunately, although I have only 9850 mi on the Highlander, and it is perfect inside, in the past month, in the same parking lot mind you, I have received 1 fist sized dent on driver's side door and another long scratch on the rear panel opposite side which chipped my right rear tail lamp cover. Both were done by anonymous craven individuals who did not leave their identities. So car has to have body work and discounts the Blue Book price.

The only other thing that felt "weak" about the TC to me during the test drive was the lower lumbar support in the driver's split bench seat. The Toyota bucket seats are wonderful for that. The TC seat, even with the lumbar support turned up, felt a little mushy. Did you find that Crown Vic seats were stronger in lumbar area?

I may go "try on" a Caddy this weekend just to satisfy my uncle who swears by them to me. Thank God for Edmund's. I was going to look at a Buick Park Ave Ultra until I read the postings there. Dozens have recounted their vibration problems with its front end. No wonder I was able to find several new 2001s w/0 miles for sale sitting on a few lots at pretty cheap prices.

Thanks for the glucosamine suggestion but it hasn't helped me. The best thing I could do for
    myself is lose a 100 lbs. Probably then wouldn't have to give up Highlander but don't think I could do it quickly enough to satify access problems.

Thanks again for taking the time to give advice.
    Bea
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Bette Midler fan? : )
    I find the seat in the Executive to be inadequate for long trips myself. I think the Caddy seat is better, the Signature T/C seat is better too. Remember, the Executive is built strictly for livery & fleet service, and though it has the luxury items, it's not intended to be "posh". Many are sold to consumers, but it's a sideline for the car, not the intent. The Caddy will be better in the snow, IMO, but has other drawbacks. I'd get the Signature - good compromise.
    Hello kinley,ny banker and Pat,

Well, I did what my uncle recommended & just test drove a Caddy. It was 2001 DeVille DTS with every possible bell & whistle with 29,000
    mi, silver. It was a lease car just turned in.

The minute I tried to enter & exit this car,
    I knew if I liked the drive it would be the one for me. For my particular physical proportions,
    I found it to be the single most comfortable car
    I've ever sat in. I liked the way you can automatically move the wheels & seat for easy
    in & out. I found the bucket seats to have magnificent lumbar support and the way you can
    configure the wheel and the seat to the pedals
    was terrific.

The ride was quiet & IMO the steering was more responsive & had easier turning arc in curves and easier turning radius than TC.
    Less "boatlike". So I decided to take the plunge.

Will spend more than I hoped for but felt it is worth it. Got it for trade in plus $10,000 cash.
    They gave me above Blue Book for the Highlander
    esp. with the 2 body probs.

Again, I want to thank those of you who helped with advice. I will now start to monitor the
    Caddy boards when I get it.
    I think you made a very good choice. You were open to find out and the Cad is the car for you. That is great. Happy Motoring!
  • limolimo Member Posts: 20
    Though we did not seek it out, we got a great deal of experience in the never ending snows of 2002-2003 in the metro New York area. We have always shod our Lincolns with Michelin tires, and especially liked the "Rainforce" model. We are far less happy with the "Symmetry", having had an unusual number of flats that totalled the tire. As a result, we switched to Continental "Contact Touring" on most cars, with Toyo all-weather types on two cars. We do not have any hydroplaning issues with either of these brands, but did have one car do a 360 on an interstate with Michelin Symmetry tires. They were't down to the wear bars yet, but we changed them out immediately.

Now, about Town Cars and fog. It seems one of our drivers, tooling along a winding country road in a pea soup fog came upon a group of frantically waving people at roadside. When he stopped, he found they were all drivers of itty-bitty cars made from tissue paper and mucilage, and so were unable to penetrate the fog without badly damaging their front ends. They pleaded with him to allow them to follow in his wake, so they could get to hearth and home. What could he do? Graciously, he agreed, and they all revved up their tiny little engines and fell in behind, rejoicing in their good fortune. The Lincoln effortlessy parted the fog, and the little guys struggled mightily to keep up. Alas, the line of roller skate cars was too long, and the one at the end was engulfed and crushed, amid pitiful squeals from the tin body panels. This immediately led to a free-for-all race among the survivors to get closer to the TC and ensure salvation, but in their panic, one or two got too far outside the Lincolns wake and they too were heard shreiking their last wails as the fog got them. The Lincoln, of course was none the worse for wear, and the driver and passenger were blissfully unaware of the carnage behind them.
    Well, I'm currently in a Town Car rental, and each time I do rent one, which is several times a year, I am amazed at how well they drive, and how comfy they are. They have a great thing going there, that I don't completely understand why they want to prematurely give up. If they'd put a friggin' blower on the A/C, and tone up the seats a bit, it would be perfect. Anybody at Lincoln listening?????
    you dial in the lower temp and roll up the fan speed. Most efficient, but the ice box is the T Bird due to a smaller cabin.
    I know, Kinley, the A/C was very good through 97. In 98, on the redesign, they put a noisy, but impotent blower on the car, and this 03 I'm driving is the same. Very cold, but no air volume. It's so bad, you have to close 2 vents up front to feel the air on your face. ANT says, this is known back at Lincoln, and supposed to be corrected, which I hope it is, then I may buy a Town Car in a couple of years.

In some climates, it isn't noticed, but it's 111 degrees here right now, and very inadequate if the car's been parked in the sun. You never cool it down with no air moving.
    03 Towncar for $28,898. That's about 30% off list. 1 ONLY.
    What color green is it?
    I'm in Tahoe, rented my usual Town Car (03). Drove it around the Lake today. What marvelous driving car. For the size, floaty ride & comfort, you can't beat it IMO. I would have enjoyed driving an LS probably more, but Hertz doesn't rent those in Reno. I would hope Lincoln doesn't neglect this old soldier too soon. It's a grand machine.
    with the performance (acceleration) of the LS.
    I'm not 100% sure you could do both, Kinley - would make an interesting experiment.
  • aviatormanaviatorman Member Posts: 44
    I just bought a new 03 TC, and love it. I have had 5 other Town Cars in the last 9 years, and this is the best yet. I had a 1996 TC and it was great, had a lot of little things I liked, then I got a 1999 TC and it lost a lot of those little things. I hated it didn't have a hood orniement, (sp?) bigger trunk, dual exaust, or auto-close trunk lid. My new one has all of that and much more.. I Love me 2003..
    I agree, the 03 is getting back to what the pre-98 Town Car used to be. Thank goodness!
    Which level did you purchase? Executive, Signature, or Cartier? If our 94 Signature didn't run so well, I'd be more tempted to buy the 03 Executive. How does the performance off the crosswalk compare to your previous Lincs?
    Having rented several 03's, Executives & Signatures, I'm amazed they only produce about 240 HP, because they're plenty quick, and I think, although it's been a while, they're more spritely than my 94 was. Definitely ride better, steadier, and better in the butt. Not that the 94 was bad, mind you. The watts linkage makes them feel more sure footed. The Cartier L is a nice package......
    had the most comfortable front seat? Year and series please. If it happens to be the 03, wife will be more interested.
    95-97 Signature has the best front seat.
  • genevabuilder2genevabuilder2 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 7 Lincolns starting with '73 Lincoln. This '03 is better than the '73. Better than '98 and '00. The last two were below Lincoln quality IMO. Day and night. My 2003 certainly sets the standard high. Keep up the quality on upcoming cars, Lincoln. Perhaps I can buy number eight!!!!
    Wow, a 73! Now, that was a cruise ship, wasn't it? Loved those cars!
  • rogertc1rogertc1 Member Posts: 66
    I tried to sell my 82 TC but for $600 offered I'll keep it. Love the loong look. 82 has the light fins that give it that look. I have to say after I detailed it it looked brand new.
    The head liner is pinned up and the A/C died last year but every thing else works and looks perfect. (Only rust is behind rear wheed but I maintain it.)
    This to me says a lot about Fords. Here I have a 23 year old car with 105,000 miles that look new inside and out.
    Still rides like sitting on your livinge room couch and has a short turning radius. She about 13 MPG too. No matter how fast one drives. (Doesn't like alcohol in her gas.)
    (I have a few cars see profile.)
    Roger
  • ddinhamddinham Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2003 TC Signature Premium and do not find the blower to be weak as mentioned by someone in an earlier post. Rather, I find it to be strong enough to be excessively noisy when on auto during initial startup or manual max fan speed. The problem as I see it now is that I am only getting 50F degree cold air at the vent, therefore the fan runs more (read noisy) than I would like. My 95 Crown Vic will do 48F degree cold and my 87 Crown Vic will do 40F degree cold even after converting to R134A. I expected colder air from the TC. What are others experiencing on temp? What is considered normal temp at the vent?
    Well, the weak fan in the Town Car is from 98 on, previously it was a real blower, which in the south, we like. you can always throttle it back on start up if you wish. It will throttle itself back if you get it fully charged, and put out really cold air........
  • bheaslipbheaslip Member Posts: 2
    After having driven an Olds Aurora for the past 9 years, I am considering a T.C..
    My mechanic is trying to steer me away from this idea saying that they are prone to mechanical problems which could prove to be expensive when out of warranty.
    I have a tendency to keep my cars for quite some time and his comments are of some concern to me.
    Any input for you experience T.C. owners would be greatly appreciated.
    The car that I am looking at is a 2001, leased by a nieghbour who looks after anything he owns with a passion so I feel confident that the car has not been abused
    What is mileage and price of this 01? Is it Executive, Signature, or Cartier?

We also drive our cars for at least 10 years. We drove an 82 Signature for 12 years and 125,000 and we are driving a 94 with 105,000 which runs and sounds like the day we bought it. Changing ALL lubricants at recommended intervals helps. Our cars use Mobil 1, synthetic oil in the crankcase. The only major expense on our 94 has been a real axle, spline, bearings at 97,000, but this was due to not checking the fluid soon enough. If you liked the Olds, you will appreciate the Towncar due to it's rear wheel drive and air suspension. If our 94 had to be replaced, I'd buy an 03 in a heartbeat.