Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    There IS a 2002 S4 that you can order NOW!

It will be virtually identical to the 2001 S4 but will be badged as a 2002 for lease and insurance purposes -- will probably have several "minor" improvements. Same body, engine, etc as 2001 -- who knows maybe a bit "greener" engine or other different accessories.

If the smallish backseat of the current A4/S4 is not a problem, go for the performance of the S car. If you are confident there will be an S4 around (2002, with old body) why not test drive a 2002 A4 3.0 with 6spd and sport everything -- if you don't like it, go for the 2001 body marketed as a 2002 S4. My dealer is taking orders for 2002 A4's and S4's as we speak.

Or, if you have a cooperative dealer, order one of each -- but the 2002 S4 will come in first perhaps by two months -- and the dealer will probably let you cancel one. It allows him/her to increase his inventory with "real" orders -- so unless you order one that would be unpopular, it's a win win. Don't order a "purple" one -- if you get my drift.
  • Options
    bast2bast2 Member Posts: 52
    WOW...just got laughed off the phone! Called a completely different dealer about 90 miles away and told her what I was looking for. She said she was limited on A4s but did have one in stock that met the criterial. Told her I currently had a quote for a little under $1000 over invoice...she choked, giggled and said she didn't think she could help me and basically hung up on me! Never took my number, info or anything. Beginning to wonder if the "wonder-deals" experienced in Chi-town just aren't going to fly here in the "hinterlands" up north. Oh, well the search goes on.

JB
  • Options
    scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    IMO only, I think santorin really looks sharp when clean and shiny but when it gets dirty, it really looks terrible. And it doesn't take much to show the dirt on a dark color like that. Also, a dark color is going to show scratches and blemishes a lot easier than say silver or melange or one of the new Passat colors like fresco green or blue silver (and I've read about how a lot of people are asking how to get rid of *swirls* in santorin or black). I originally wanted hibiscus red but now that I have silver, I'm with Billy, it rox! And remember, silver cars are faster! *puts tongue in cheek* :P
  • Options
    where are you again, Milwaukee? Is it feasible to purchase the car in the Chicago area and drive it back? Well, as everyone has heard me say this before, just be glad you aren't in the Seattle area: "home of the highest A4 prices in the country." :(
  • Options
    schwitzer1schwitzer1 Member Posts: 64
    I'm getting about the same...with just over 500 miles on the car. I'm trying soooooOO hard to keep my foot out of it, but after reading that article that someone posted a few posts ago, I gleefully feel that a bit of acceleration is good for the car. I really cranked it through the s-curves of my daily on-ramp on the way home.
    Every day, I get on 16th street for the distance between Turn 1 and Turn 2 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There are racecars there, now, you know, as it's May and the race is in just ten days or so. After I've sat at the light at 16th and Georgetown and listened to about three of 'em sing past, well, you understand if I'm a bit more aggressive pulling away.
  • Options
    headlights on with wipers?? I haven't heard of that one. I may add that one to my list.
  • Options
    lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    if you are in Milwaukee. It's not too far of a drive, and you can always service the car at your local Audi dealership. I bought mine at Schaumburg Audi (Mike Burden), so give him a call and see what he can do. She laughed and cut you off cuz you're willing to pay $1000 over invoice?? You should have dropped the phone earlier than she did! Dang. Now that the end of the month is coming up, you might be able to get a good deal with Mike as I got with him.

Headlights on with wipers.....mmmm i'm not sure if I like that on my car. So the headlights will come on when I am trying to get rid of rain/water marks on the windshield? And is the headlight washer going to squirt fluid all over the hood and everything cuz the headlights are on? mmm.

Hehe Louis, there is a solution I found useful to get the right foot off the accelerator.....think very hard how damn expensive the gas is. OK you live in indy, so gas in Indiana is cheaper, but here in Chicago, man, it's $2.29 for some 93 Octane juice. Saw one station coming down 2 cents and hope it's a trend.

I agree with Scirocco, and something I forgot to mention in my previous post, but santorin doesn't hide dirt well. I had a dark green Accord and it's ALWAYS appeared dirty. The silver color on my A4 really hid the rain marks very well. The window tinting, however, made the marks stand out. Oh well, time for another carwash :>

Here comes the question: What should I get for a personalized plate.....here in Chicago you pay only $15 for a PERSONALIZED plate with BOTH letters and numbers, BUT if you want letters ONLY, i.e. a vanity plate, it'll cost more than $120 (reapply title and new plates). Weird. For the vanity plates, you cannot insert numbers in between letters, so "AUDI 1" will be good but not "A4 18T 1", for example. ANY suggestions?? THANKS!!

Billy
  • Options
    mbloch1mbloch1 Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my A4 today, 1.8 non Quatro for 26,200. I know its the cheap one. Can people list advise or the cool things the car does that I might not be aware of. Thanks-Michael
  • Options
    hoya96hoya96 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks,

I have a 99-A4-Quattro with 25,000 miles. I am taking the car to the dealer to check the brake noise which is becoming unbearable. The car stops on a dime and the brakes seem to work well in terms of stopping the car, but the squealing noise is awful.
    The service rep gave me a brochure that says that this is a common problem due to the semi-metallic materials that are used.

Have you folks expeirnced similar problems with your brakes? I love my car, but I would seriously consider trading it for a car that does not have this problem.(Mercedes,BMW)
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Hey Scirocco, I know a while back when you were discussing average prices paid in your area, you mentioned you researched the subject somehow. How did you do that? Is there actually a site you can go to that would give you some basic info on possible prices people are paying in a given part of the country? I'm curious. Aside from Edmunds and their TMV info.

I have found a few webpages put together by what seem to be obsessed Audi owners who have created their own owner's surveys and present the results (model purchased, inv. price, final purchase price, etc, etc.). Just wondering if their is something more official out there. Maybe I'm dreaming. By the way, based on info presented by the owners in these surveys, I'd have to conservatively say the average price over invoice for 2001 models was at least $1400.

JB
  • Options
    Billy-- I just have a few seconds for I have to run but I just noticed that there's now an "Audi Owners Club" board. From what I remember reading some time ago about the owner's club boards, each board has to designate a spokesperson. Obviously, you'd be the perfect spokesperson for the Audi board :P --at least for the A4 section. I notice that there are currently no folders created yet but why don't you, as our designated spokesperson :P, fire off an email to Karen (the host) and set up some folders. Maybe one for each model group: A4, S4, A6, A8/S8, TT, etc. Each folder can evidently have sub-folders within that group so we can, as A4 owners, create some of our own sub-folders as we see fit--I'm guessing that's how it works anyway. I'm going to be quite busy for the next few weeks coming up or I'd try to do some of this myself but I might not be able to follow up for there might be some days where I won't have the time to log into Edmunds. When I can get the chance I'll try to read the rules again for the owner's club to see exactly how it's done. If you have the chance, go over there and do some research yourself.

Pat, if you're there, am I interpreting all this right??
  • Options
    Jeff-- I used both Carsdirect and Edmunds and started plugging in zip codes from around the country... not a real accurate way to do it but at least it gives some idea on how prices differ in various areas. And yes, I also viewed quite a few surveys on various sites, ie. AudiWorld. I'll look up my past post on my findings at Carsdirect and hopefully re-post it for you. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ;->

She'll come here and announce it when it's all the way ready for you. She will set up the initial folders and then be ready to take suggestions after she lets you know it's open for business.

There used to be a requirement that to have an Owners Club, one or two folks needed to volunteer to be the spokespeople. That is no longer required, but often helpful. After Karen announces that the Club is ready for you folks, check with her to see.

Hope you enjoy it! :-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    I personally do not have the lights on with wipers feature programmed into my Audi -- and funny, I don't remember if the wipers/lights on also caused the headlight washers to "fire." I had this "feature" and the auto lock feature turned on about 4 cars ago, and I didn't like the headlight/wiper option.

Whenever I pick up a new Audi (which between my wife and myself is about once a year) I always get them to activate the auto lock feature, though (so far they always do it at no charge.)

I can't find it, but there are quite a few "options" that can be turned on with the dealer's Audi computer (its on a website somewhere) -- most of them are not very interesting to me. One that they forgot to turn on my 2001 A6 was the steering wheel telephone controls for my factory phone -- oops, again no charge, but a return trip to the dealer when I realized it.
  • Options
    ok, sounds good... thank you!
  • Options
    working hard to get our Audi Owner's Club ready :> Thanks to Karen and Pat for setting that up so I can do the only thing I do alright, i.e. talking :> Hey Scirocco, you talk as much as I do, so you should be the backup co-spokespeople, like I am :>

Hoya96, I heard from other owners at AudiWorld (AW) that it happened to them too. You can go over and chat with them and see how they dealed with it. Most of us here are "newbie" owners.....and the brakes on my 3300 mile car are still fine (otherwise I'll be so pissed). Ahhh MarkCincinnatti can help you on that. By the way, Hoya, did you experience any mechanical failures other than the brake issues so far?

Geez Mark, you trade Audi's once a year between you and your wife?? Wow. Wish I can do that. Yeah I am going to activate the auto lock/unlock feature, but that's about what I wanna do now.

Hey JB, the average might be $1400, and it might be higher than what you can really negotiate cuz I think most people will just say, "I'll take it" without really going deep into the dealer's pocket, cuz they just like the A4 so much, they want to get it ASAP. They might also order it, and dealer can't offer as much discounts as if you pick one out from the lot. My 2 cents.

Billy
  • Options
    k, this is the message I posted over at the "2001 Audi A4 1.8t Pricing" board on March 14, 2001, post #107:

"just got through checking carsdirect.com for their prices of A4's in other parts of the country and my suspicions were in fact confirmed *waaaaaah* ...washington state was the only area that I found that carsdirect prices A4's above msrp. their price is $542 more in washington state than in the portland area, chicago area, silver springs area and sacramento and bay areas. $1,486 more in washington than in Arizona and $1,501 more than in the los angeles area. I checked several other metropolitan areas and didn't find any that carsdirect was charging more than msrp other than in Washington ($201 over msrp here in the seattle area) So, I'm beginning to think that 7% over invoice is an "ok" deal but for sure am not really pleased about it. anyone else out there that has recently bought an A4 1.8t in Washington state?"

Now this was back in March and things might have changed since then. I realize that you can negotiate a price much lower than what Carsdirect reports but as I said, it gives you an idea what they are charging in different parts of the country. Seattle was the only major metropolitan area, of those that I was able to check, that Carsdirect charged OVER msrp--even currently, they are pricing an A4 1.8t $200 over. For instance, the difference in the Carsdirect price for Seattle compared with Milwaukee is $550 which represents quite a percentage difference if you were figuring that as part of the amount over invoice. So to put it a little more illustrative light, you should be able to get an A4 in Milwaukee for at least $550 less than I would here in Seattle.

I also viewed the sites of the local Audi Clubs around the country to survey their polls and discussions of prices.
  • Options
    lmao! dang, I was just trying to pass the buck! hehehehe... :P
  • Options
    cuz you guys don't have ANY state income taxes!!! Let's swap, shall we? Alright, just kidding :> But Seattle is nice, I totally agree after spending 2 summers there.

Actually I think we should all move to Texas cuz i heard they don't have any state income taxes either and did you see any significant price difference at the Texas area? Gas is cheaper though down there I think.....it's ridiculous to pay $2.29/gal of Octane 93 here.

By the way I was over at the Audi Owner Club and like Pat said, Karen is still doing it and can't post any messages there yet.

Billy
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    If you move to Texas, don't buy a house. That's where they make up for no state income tax - property taxes. They pay over 3% ANNUALLY (multiply your house's value by 3% and that's the amount you pay every year) for property taxes. In Colorado, we do have a 4.6% income tax, but we get a sales tax refund and property taxes are only about 1% per year.
  • Options
    Buy the house in Seattle or in Colorado, buy the Audi in Chicago, then commute to Texas to work. Yay!! I can live with that....now all I need is a private jet to make that happen.....

Billy
  • Options
    audifanaticaudifanatic Member Posts: 3
    The dealer was telling me that I can put a chip in the A4 if I was to buy it.. do any of u guys have it and is it really worth it? doesn't it affect the car since it was built to handle 175 Hp not 195+?
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    is the question that bothered me from the time I bought mine.

TO chip: More power, engine can handle extra stress, cheap way to get more power, more power, more power....

NOT to chip: Don't know if chipped engine has the same longevity/reliability as a non-chipped one, Audi of America made it clear that they can void the warranty if they can link the repair to the modified parts

So there you go. I'm again surprised to hear that a dealer suggested a chip to be put on the car. Ask the dealer, are they going to warrant the car if you use the chip they "advised" you to go with? An A4 owner in Arizona got the same thing from his dealer and actually the dealer would do the installation! He's checking with his dealer to see if they'd perform warranty work on chipped engines with failed engine parts. Well I'm pretty sure no dealers would do that here in Chicago.

It's attracting to put a $500 chip in the car and put out 207hp instead of the published 170hp (rumored to be actually 180). Dunno.

So who has chipped A4's and how do they hold up? I'd like to know too.

Billy
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The new Audi A4 Owners club is open for business! Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    We chipped my wife's 180HP Audi TT quattro with an MTM Chip Stage 1 -- great results. I would not go beyond stage one -- the torque increase alone was breathtaking.
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    How much was it and what kind of gains did you see? Also, did the dealer install/warranty it?
  • Options
    Looks like I've just sold my soul to the devil....I mean Audi. Done deal. Went back to the very first dealer, told him what number I was looking for, he came within $150 and I gave the nod. It's still a bit higher then I wanted, but better than what I came across Monday night and certainly better than any of the others I had come across. I can live with the price...time to enjoy. Pick it up on Mon. or Tues.

JB
  • Options
    Silver/Onyx, 1.8T Quattro, celebration, cold weather.

JB
  • Options
    Now you earn your priveilege to register in the new A4 owner board!!!

So how much did you pay over invoice (OK the real invoice, not the dealer's elevated one)??

Another silver one.....I LIKE IT LIKE THAT!!

Billy
  • Options
    Congratulations Jeff! ...yeah, let us know the details of your negotiations if you don't mind. Maybe we'll have to form a silver A4 club! lol ...or a silver with no sport pkg club since those sport pkg ppl are such elitists! --no, just kidding--guess you can tell I'm jealous. ;-)
  • Options
    and nice rims and tires.....then we'll be happy :>

Of course I still need to get winter tires on these stock rims if I decide to go that route.....whew better start saving up.....where's that 99 cents burger again.....

Billy
  • Options
    Took my wife's jeep in to get a few things looked at before selling. Told them to check out the a/c, thought it might need freon. Nope, blown condensor...I'm looking at $700-$800. Looks like my "shopping around" days aren't quite over. How's that for a kick in the teeth???

Hey, Billy/Scirocco....question. How bad is my wife going to fry her butt on that onyx leatherette? (if that's what you guys have) Too late for me to do much now, but thought I'd ask.

As for the deal...well, not what Billy got by a long shot, but I was willing to live with it. Ended up at about $1000 over true invoice. Sounds like the car just walked off the truck 2 weeks ago, so it hasn't been sitting around long at all. Made me feel better, the other silver had 115 miles on and cloth seats.

Oh God, my stomach just flipped again. Not sure if it's Audi or Jeep related. Little of both, maybe.

JB
  • Options
    paul2001paul2001 Member Posts: 1
    I've been negotiating for a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro and have got the dealer at $33000. I'm inclined to take this deal, but would be interested in hearing any opinions about it.

The car has the following options:

Bose sound system
    Cold Weather Package
    Leather
    Celebration Package
    Quattro Sport Package

The car has a sticker price of $35434 and if I calculate correctly an invoice of $31707.

Near as I can tell, I'd pay 4% above invoice. I think I'm going to take it but I'd like to hear any opinions on this deal.
  • Options
    Hey JB, sorry can't help since I got the Opal Grey leatherette. If the seats got too hot in the summer, activate one of the coolest feature on the car.....insert the key to the lock and turn left.....all the windows go down and you can let the cockpit cool down a bit. Tonite after going out for dinner I forgot to close the sunroof and I used the trick again.....this time it didn't amaze my girlfriend too much.....hehe.

Paul, 4% over invoice sounds alright to me. That sounds like an average of what people got, something fair to both you and the dealer. What I got (like 2.6% over invoice) was an extreme really (HOPE I didn't get a lemon) and you can ask Mr Scirocco for the other end of the spectrum. Wow you almost got all the options except the Xenon or the Tiptronic. You will have fun with your ride! I thought about the 2.8 too but after optioning it out it's almost as expensive as a BMW (sans Quattro). Plus I like the sweet sound when the turbo spools up.

Had little fun with a silver S4 on the expressway today.....hehe almost can imagine me sitting in his car. Of course he's a lot faster, but it's fun to cruise around with 2 look-alike cars (to non-Audi owners).

Billy
  • Options
    jeez Billy!! :P

Paul-- yeah, sounds like a good deal to me too. I'm not as familiar with 2.8 pricing as I am with 1.8t pricing but 4% over invoice for either sounds like a pretty good deal to me! From what I'm hearing, though, dealers are more apt to be a little more accommodating when negotiating for a 2.8 because they're not as much in demand as are the 1.8t's. But none-the-less, 4% over invoice still sounds like a pretty good price--I'd go for it! Not too many people can get a deal like Billy's so don't worry about it if you should find that you can't get it down to 2.6% over invoice. (Little does Billy know that his car actually had over 2,000 miles on it at one time and was used as a demo for test drives--they had the lot guy stay overtime for several nights the week before he bought it to drive it in reverse for several hours a night so that the odometer would show that the car only had 16 miles on it!) :P

From what I read of your posts over at the Jetta vrs. A4 forum, it sounds like you were concerned about the reliability of the A4. Believe me, an A4, IMO, will be much more trouble free and reliable than a Jetta! I was thinking about a Jetta at one time also and after reading some of the horror stories from owners, I wasn't about to take the chance. However, I was considering the Jetta VR6 and decided to go with the A4 1.8t where, I guess you were considering the Jetta 1.8t and now are leaning toward the A4 2.8. Here are some things to consider in favor of the A4:

* Since the current A4 is at the end of it's cycle, Audi has had 6 years to work all the "bugs" out.

* The A4 has twice the b2b warranty and free maintenance period than does the Jetta (2yr/24,000 miles vrs 4yr/50,000).

* Audi is in the upper 50% in the J. D. Power Initial Quality survey where Volkswagen is in the bottom 50%

* Consurmer Reports gives the 2001 Jetta a predicted reliability of "worse than average" and gives the 2001 A4 "average" (yes, only "average" --I'm not implying that an A4 will have the reliability of a Japanese car! lol).

So yes, Paul, you are being wise, IMO, by choosing the A4 (although Consumer Reports, along with others, feels that the 1.8t engine is more reliable than the 2.8).

Jeff-- I'm not going to worry about the onyx leatherette seats on my car being too hot to sit on in the summer. I had black leatherette seats on my old Scirocco and never had a problem with the seats "frying my butt" and the car didn't even have A/C! Well, I don't live in a super hot climate either--lol.
  • Options
    but can you really reverse the number of miles on the odometer by driving reverse??? I haven't got the chance to drive in reverse for a mile so I can't tell.....maybe Scirocco has an answer to that :>

Anyhow I agree with what Scirocco analyzed.....I was looking at a Jetta WR6 or 1.8T or a Passat GLS 1.8T, but after thinking about VW's warranty, and after people mentioning that Jettas are built in Mexico and couldn't get the paint right cuz of the high attitude, I gave up.

About reliability, yeah if you want good reliability, get a Japanese car. German cars are prone to have minor glitches, but of course still better than the American cars. I wouldn't be surprised to see they rate Audi as an "average" reliability. I'll keep an eye on the car as it reaches 4yr-50k.....if it takes too much time and effort to fix it, it's either going to be traded in or I'll get extended warranty from places like warrantybynet.com or others. It's interesting though, I got quotes by entering the A4 and very reliable cars like a Camry, and for a 6yr-100k extended warranty, the Audi will cost like $1900 and that for the Camry is only half of that. So figure more trips to fix glitches, more expensive labor and parts. Oh well, I guess it all comes with driving an exciting car....so don't get me wrong, I still luv it soooo much.....I am trying to cut down the number of miles driven but it's already passed the 3,200 mile mark..... :> And happy to report that no problems so far and rattling has gone bye bye. Only the stereo problem which I reported and fixed by myself and it works fine so far.

Billy
  • Options
    lol, yeah, cars with the older mechanical odometers can be rolled back by driving in reverse. I don't know about the newer electronic digital ones though.

So what did you decide for your personalized plate?? How about just: lauk0dg
    That way we'd all know who you are when we see your car stopped at a red light! btw, what does lauk0dg stand for, anyway?? I thought it was for Lauk Dog when I first saw it but I guess it's not dog but 0dg--that's a zero and not an "o" ...right?
  • Options
    Yeah it's a ZERO, not an O. DG stands for the suburb I work at (Downers Grove, IL) and all the letters in front are my initials.

For the plates.....mmmm I'm not going to say anything now it's going thru the process of verifying if they have that plate available and legit. Once I pay the fees I'll let y'all know :>

Hehe had some fun again today with a silver A4 2.8 and a black A6 2.8 while driving to the outlet mall.....mileage keep piling up and it's 3,450 now :>

Billy
  • Options
    The MTM Chip @ Stage I was purchased from Joe Hoppen Motorsports. The Audi dealer where we purchased the TT did the de-install and the follow up re install of the unit. Actually all you do is go to the dealer the dealer removes the Engine Management Unit and overnights it to Hoppen, who overnights the chipped version to you -- down time for this process, BTW is as you can guess 2 days.

The chip is rated to take the blown 1.8 engine to 195HP -- Hoppen says this is true for all the most recent 1.8T engines (because they all are really 180HP). I have no way to prove this one way or another. Anyway, I'm not sure that the extra 15 HP made THAT much difference, however the torque is another matter. The torque increase was about 48% -- I can' t remember the exact numbers (but as I recall they are on Hoppen's web site) but I believe the torque was cranked to 245 at 2250 RPM -- if I am not exactly accurate, the "spirit" of these numbers is correct.

The imapact was a tiny bit of turbo lag and a lot of extra acceleration. WOW! The warranty issue never came up.
  • Options
    I thought the official AoA position to the dealers is, they'd not warrant the parts that are defective due to chipping.....but they'll install the chip for you??? Do you personally know the dealerships, if I remember correctly, you are a dealer yourself?? So does your dealer still honor the warranty if the chip causes the TT to fail?

I was also looking into a MTM chip.....I guess the only way to find out what the stock hp and torque is is to run it thru a dyno.....as more and more people proved to me it's actually a 180hp engine when stock.....so how many miles have you guys put on the TT since chipped? Anything wrong you saw.....i recall you had a problem with a bad lemon chip but that's about it, right??

Billy
  • Options
    chacalchacal Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy a '98 A4 1.8T. The dilemma is whether to go for the 18k done 5 speed($17,000) no warranty- this is from a resller who buys cars which have come off leases. or a 30k done Tiptronic - dealer certfied for $20,000 w/ 75k mile warranty. Any help is appreciated. thanks
  • Options
    h_hatchh_hatch Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 1.8T and trying to decide if I should order one with the Sport package, or take one off the lot. Dealer currently has a Silver, Tiptronic with Bose and the Celebration Package. Everything that I want - except maybe the Sport. I have them at $25,987 but would like some advice on the suspension. I have driven one with sport, but it was manual and was not the best comparison. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    You might want to consider what's more important to you -- great everyday handling on the street or improved handling in snowy conditions. I opted for sport seats without the sport package because roads here can get pretty dicey in winter. Postings here and in AW recommended the sport package for great everyday handling but said the handling in snow was not so great; that's where the regular suspension/tires seemed to have an edge. Getting the sport package and changing your tires every six months (or whatever) also is an option; I just didn't want to bother with that. Price sounds nice, though! How do you feel about changing tires twice a year?
  • Options
    h_hatchh_hatch Member Posts: 3
    Should have stated that I live in South Carolina, so snow is not much of a factor. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    If you're in SC and don't have to worry about snow, I'd opt for the Sport Package. Admittedly, I didn't test drive a car with the sport pkg., but from talking to others in here, it does make a difference. Besides, you get the larger wheels...they look sharp. Also, sounds like you opted out of the quattro, correct?

Looks like I'll be picking up our new 1.8TQ either tomorrow or Wed. Can't wait!!

JB
  • Options
    schwitzer1schwitzer1 Member Posts: 64
    is really nice. I haven't driven one without, but mine, with the sport suspension, is very nice. It IS a firm ride, though. You'll feel any irregularity in the road, which can be bumpy at times, depending on the Highway Department in your area.
    For me, the importance of sporty handling far outweighed the comfort of not having it. I'm pleased, and wouldn't change the choice of sport suspension. However, it's your call, and you're the one who has to be happy.
  • Options
    Sharat-- didn't quite understand all that you were describing but generally, IMO, you'd be much happier with the 5-speed compared to the Tip when mating them with the 1.8t engine. The Tip feels a bit sluggish with the 1.8t--but not bad (in fact, GREAT) with the 5-speed manual!

Heath-- yeah, I didn't think I needed the sport pkg. but now I sort of regret not getting it. If you have read my previous posts, you'll know that I feel that there's just a little bit more body roll than I would have like to have seen and the grip going around corners could stand to be a little better. For me, I think the sport pkg would have been just the right compromise between stock and the heavily modded suspensions that a lot of Audi enthusiasts do to their cars. But don't get me wrong, the non-sport stock set-up still handles and "rides" much better than most other cars I was considering.

Karen-- how many more days?? Are you counting?? lol. I was helping a friend of mine yesterday with some landscaping and in her Acura, she had this plastic tray or liner (sort of reminded me of a pick-up liner) in her trunk that she used to transport some plants and peat moss (I guess that what it was, anyway). After she was through transporting, she just pulled the thing out, hosed it off, dried it and threw it back in. I think I remember seeing something like that on the Clair Parts web-site for the A4. Maybe you can consider using something like that.
  • Options
    nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    Rocco -- Still enough days that my dealer can't give me a final countdown yet. Sometime in August. :( Guess the good news is: That's more time to haul mulch/peat moss/plants in my Acura. Thanks for the tip about the plant liner, btw. Now if only somebody would make a big, tall liner that would let me carry tall plants through that sunroof.....lol!
  • Options
    depends on:
    1. Your budget (a $950 difference)
    2. Your comfort level, smooth ride, no sports pkg; corners a lot, sports pkg
    3. Your love towards big rims, I like them, but it's interesting some people found the new 17" rims too big
    4. Your Highway Dept, if they maintain the roads....potholes and cracks can damage your 17" rims
    5. Your weather, if in SC and snow is not a factor, 17" sport tires will be great
    6. Your budget again.....sport tires have a higher-than-normal wear and they require more frequent replacements, like every 25,000 miles or so depending on tires, and they cost more than the all-season tires.

Chacal, I'd go for the one with extended warranty, simply because someone will foot for part of your repair if the car has something wrong. Audi's are fun to drive but they're more costly and more frequent to fix than other cars. Tiptronic with the 150hp engine (assuming it's a 98) is a little bit sluggish, but still fun to drive.

Billy
  • Options
    I am not a dealer. I own an Information Technology consulting firm in Cincinnati. I was introduced to Audi's in 1977 when the president of the company I worked for "loaned" me his 1976 Audi Silver Fox. I purchased a 1978 Audi 5000 shortly afterwards and haven't looked back since.

And, the first MTM chip installed in my wifes TT was "programmed incorrectly," you have a great memory for details. Joe Hoppen motorsport's Mike Hoppen (the son, I presume) was very helpful in determining that the cause was a "mis programmed chip." There have been no problems since, and the car is now owned by a physician -- who uses the same dealership as my wife and I. Currently, my wife's 2001 225HP TT is unchipped as is my 2001 A6 4.2. The MTM chip, when "correct" has no side effects other than incredible acceleration and a tiny bit of turbo lag.

I would recommend it.I recommend Joe Hoppen, too. And, I will have all modifications done at the dealer.

As to the dealership installing the part -- they did not do it for free. And they offered no threats or promises as to the factory warranty. But, no issues that could be attributed to the chip -- after the new chip was installed (at Hoppen's cost) arose. And, since we did not go beyond stage one, the vast majority of the underhood bits were in no danger of "warranty suspension."

I have met several A4 and TT owners who have replaced or added turbos, superchargers, chips, exhaust systems, brakes, suspensions and the all important etc. None of these individuals has ever had a warranty claim voided -- even the guy who supercharged his A4 2.8 was able to make warranty claims -- apparently because there was no way to tie the supercharger to any "malfunction" of the car in any way whatsoever. At least in his case.

I assume there are plenty of stories to the contrary, although I have seen scant few of them, but most of the "chipped, tired, wheeled, suspensioned" -- modified -- Audi "owners" I know have actually had fewer "complaints" than the unmodified cars (owners) -- my wife and me included.