Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    gymshoegymshoe Member Posts: 80
    up until a few weeks ago...i coudln't figure out where this weird creaking was coming from...finally discovered it was the sunroof's glass rubbing against the rubber seal on the sunroof cavity. When I go over speed bumps or curbs at an angle, the car will "twist" and the glass moves against the rubber and a cccrreeaak sound happens. if i open the roof a tiny bit...no more sounds....soo...what can i do to "fix" this so i don't have to keep the roof opened. Lubricate the rubber? with what then? it didnt' do this when i first got the car.
  • Options
    a4_4vincea4_4vince Member Posts: 25
    How have you been? Haven't seen you here for a while...

vince...8o)
  • Options
    lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    Hey glad to see you are still alive and well :> So how many miles are on your odo now? I got 14,500 already and gonna schedule an oil/filter change at 15k miles. The 2001.5 oil change schedules call for 5k, 10k, 20k, 30k, and so on, but I am going to do an oil change at 15k. Buddy of mine has done it and our dealership only charged him $10 for the filter (we bring in our own oil) and still offers Audi loaner cars :>

Driving in snow is fun again.....just a warning to us first time AWD'ers.....launching the car in the snow or off the red light is fun, but braking.....now that's the same as a FWD car or RWD car. Four times no traction is still no traction guys.

Drive safe :>

Billy
  • Options
    visordocvisordoc Member Posts: 48
    I had the same problem with my previous Accord's sunroof. When I asked the dealer about it, they said whatever you do, do NOT use silicone spray (eg. WD-40) because it has chemicals that will react with the rubber seal. They just used some lubricant from the shop..I forget what now...and the creaking noise disappeared. So, go ask your dealer to help you out...
  • Options
    scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Ray-- huh, thanx for the correction. I'd have used the silicone on the rubber if you hadn't corrected me. I've used silicone spray for years on the rubber mouldings on the doors to keep them from drying out and loosing their sealing properties so I just assumed that it would work for the sunroof too. Maybe the contact with glass is the difference. Is WD-40 considered silicone? ...I have both but use them for different purposes. I was advised years ago to use silicone on rubber seals to keep them from drying out.

Billy-- Well *looks embarrassed* I still just have a hair over 2K. Like I said, I've let it sit for weeks on end ...a bad thing to do, I know. At this rate, if I use your schedule, it'll be years between oil changes for me. But I'm going to change oil every six months regardless of mileage, I think. I'm planning on taking it to the dealer in March for my 1yr service ...hopefully I'll have at least 3,000 miles on it by then. Damn, that's ridiculous ...I bet they'll laugh at me! But watch out, sometime this year I'm going to try to catch up with you ...well, maybe not catch up with you but at least put a lot more miles on it. :P

--'rocco
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    If you can't wait for "snow" in the lowlands, head up to the passes. I took my WRX up to Stevens and Leavenworth the last two weekends. It was fun (especially w/the Dunlop Wintersports)but a bit nerve wracking second guessing what the other drivers were doing. It was fun counting all the Audis and Subarus instead of the omnipresent SUVs. :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    davkingdavking Member Posts: 51
    I read somewhere that glycerine should be used on the rubber seals and definitely not silicone. I don't know what WD-40 is, but wouldn't be surprised if it is a silicone compound of some sort.
  • Options
    *jeez*! I've been using silicone on rubber all these years and I've been wrong? I swear I was advised by a reputable source that silicone was recommended for rubber. Okay, I'm glad to be corrected before ruining too many things but so far my rubber mouldings have stayed pliable and effective with no cracking or drying out. Isn't glycerine alcohol based? I just assumed that it would be bad for rubber. So where does one buy glycerine lubricants?

Stephen-- Good idea, I might do just that. I haven't been to Leavenworth in awhile. It might be a nice trip to give either the Forester or A4 a workout. How was the NWIC Snow Day? ...it must've been fun.

--'rocco
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    It was a small group, about 6 six cars or so. I was the only WRX. We went to a fellow PNWSEC member's cabin in Index and then up to Stevens to go tubing. The parking lots were completely full so we decided to head over to Leavenworth. Along the way we found a side one lane road covered in compact snow and ice ruts. It was fun going on this and testing the cars traction limits. Just as we were having a blast, there was a locked gate across the path. Coming back from Leavenworth, we all got caught behind the skier's traffic on Hwy 2 (for those that don't know...a 2-lane road). All n' all a good time had by all. BTW, there were quite a few Audis, mostly A4s up at Stevens Pass.

Stephen
  • Options
    which dealer do you take your car in for oil changes, and what kinda oil is the dealer using? the 2002's manual states 0W-30..(or is it 0-30W).
  • Options
    I'm sure you know this James but there is only one dealer located in Seattle so you really don't have much of a choice unless you consider Barrier which is located in Bellevue. I thought you bought your car at Barrier?

There are only 4 dealers in all of western Washington and 3 in eastern Washington.

I will probably try to take mine in for oil changes and maintenance services at the dealer where I purchased at, Roger Jobs, at least until the warranty expires. The dealer where you bought your car, as a rule, is usually more accommodating and you'll tend to get quicker or more flexible appointments and more attentive service. This doesn't preclude taking your car to another dealer but it's just an observed tendency.

The last time I checked, neither Barrier, University nor Roger Jobs used 0W-30 nor synthetic oil for the free maintenance services unless you supply your own.

--'rocco
  • Options
    yeah..i was considering barrier as part of seattle...

i wonder..the manual clearly states to use 0W-30, and only use 5W-30 is 0W-30 is not available. Would it be bad to use 5W-30 until the free oil changes are up and then switch to 0W-30 afterwards?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    I don't know if you all remember, but a few posts ago I told you about my friend whose Gas Gauge doesn't work in his '02 A4 3.0Q 6-Speed. Anyway, first they thought it was a bad electrical relay of some sort. The gas gauge still doesn't work. He brought the car back in and now they tell him he needs an entirely new instrument cluster. It has to be ordered from Germany and may take a few weeks.

In his 2 trips to the dealer he's gotten 2 different loaners: An old body style A6 (Which he thought was a piece) & a late model ('99 or '00) A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic (no SP). He was very impressed with the previous generation 1.8T, even with the Tiptronic.

I'll try to keep you all updated!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    See I don't get it at all.....the gas gauge isn't working and it needs a brand new instrument cluster? That's just ridiculous. I wonder what had screwed up inside to warrant the dealer to switch out the entire instrument panel. Bet your friend is not impressed with Audi's quality. Good luck to him!

And he thought the Tip is fun huh? Now imagine pairing up the 1.8T with a manual tranny...... :>

Billy
  • Options
    davkingdavking Member Posts: 51
    This is not where I first found it, but here is a quote from a tech article by Larry Reynolds on the Audi Quattro Club web site.

"Wurth Rubber Care, Sonax Rubber Care, and Zymol Seal are designed for the 'live' rubber door gaskets. These products are rich in glycerin and help maintain the flexibility and sealing ability of the gaskets. A nice side benefit is that they help keep doors from freezing in winter."
  • Options
    audibonaudibon Member Posts: 100
    Hello all!
    Friend of mine and I test drove an A4 3.0Q with 6 speed. Nice car, he did all the driving though. Interior has a lot more amenities but I didn't notice extra room in front or rear seats. I found the sport suspension nice on the twisties but a little stiff on railroad crossings, expansion joints etc. Engine is much better than the 2.8 but wonder if Audi is still asking a little much $$ to jump to the six. Car was stickered at 38k and change. I am trying to sell my friend on putting his money in a new car instead of trying to update his '97 Passat. Nothing against the VW but with all the work he is planning I figure 4k not counting the new stereo he just put in. That 4k could go to something new, w/warranty and needing no updating. His other option is a 2000 or 2001 S4 with low miles and under Audi assured 5yr 100k warranty. Either way I think he'll be much happier. BTW dealer told us that there are no more S4's being made. Is this true? Then how come on Audi's site you can still build one? Just curious. Later.
    Brian
  • Options
    My sales rep. informed me that another customer of his is also getting an A4 delivered about the same time I would pick mine up. That guy has sport package but would want to swap his 17" for someone else's 16". Therefore, my sales rep. asked if I would swap mine.

I really like the 17" rims but I didn't order sport package because I really don't want to get another set of snow shoes to accomodate it. Plus, I always appreciate the softness the regular suspension provides.

Here is my struggle. Assuming the guy doesn't want me to compansate him for the swap and my original warranty still holds valid when done, do you think the car would look weird with a regular suspension eqipped with a set of 17"? I don't think so. But what do you guys think? The car is lowered when equipped with sport suspension.

One other thing, I don't expect to drive with the 17" when there is a big snow/ice storm out there. But would it be OK to use the 17" with original tires(summer high performance??) when there is light snow/ice out?

If you were me living under a weather similar to Portland, OR, would you do the swap? Any potential problems? Also, I assume the dealer will do the work and swap the rims and wheels for us since the sales rep. is negotiating this. Thanks in advance.

vince...8o)
  • Options
    He understands that you know what happens and that the cars aren't perfect. The dealer he bought the car from and services the car at is wonderful (according to him) and pleasant to deal with. The dealer is New Country Audi/VW/Porsche in CT.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Audibon, I would say since your friend upgrades from a Passat, he should also consider the A6 3.0. It's pretty amazing but I was reading an ad on today's Chicago Tribune and there's a lease that's going on for $499 a month for 36 months, and the most important thing is, the MSRP for a loaded A6 3.0Q is $42.5k. That's only a couple of thou more than the A4 3.0Q. It might be pushing if he is still thinking he should get a new car, but he does, bring up the fact that the A6 3.0Q is not that far away, and got a lot more interior room.

A4_4Vince, I would say if you are concerned about the handling of those 17" rims and tires, you better don't swap with the guy. The 17" sports tires are NOT suitable for snow/ice at all (tire compound will harden up during cold and won't provide enough traction in the cold), but again, I've only been to Portland twice and both times were in the summer. Maybe Rocco can shed some light on NW weather and winter tires. About appearance, the non sports 02 A4's have a much lesser gap than our 96-01 A4's already. As you know the overall diameter (tire+wheel) won't change when you switch to the 17" setup, and the nice sports 17" rim design on the 02 A4 won't make it weird with a nonsport susp.....afterall your non sport susp is as competent as the 96-01 A4 with sports susp.

Nyccarguy, good luck to your friend!

And I guess I've decided on what to do with my non sports susp with 15" rims. There is a local guy here in Chicago and I'm gonna get his OEM sports susp. There is a group buy for Kahn wheels and I absolutely love the 17" RSR's. I'm going to put summer only tires on the RSR's and snow tires on the 15" rims when winter comes.

Billy
  • Options
    Thank you for your advice. I think if I end up swapping I will get a set of all-season 17". So, what is the general practice regarding the changing of all-season tires from summer high performance? Do you change tires right away when the weather gets cold(around 30F)? Or, you wait till snow/ice comes, then you do the change. I guess what I am trying to get at is how cold would it get to warrant a change of tires?
    Thanks again.

vince...8o)
  • Options
    Vince-- Seeing that we don't get that much snow in west of the Cascades, I've always changed-over only when needed. During the seasons that I wasn't planning on doing any skiing or going over to the east side of the state to visit friends, I'd sometimes change-over 4 or 5 times a season ...it's a lot of work but I got it down to where I could do it in about an hour. But those were the years that we used to have 3 or 4 moderate snowfalls per winter. In the last ten years or so, we haven't had hardly any significant snow at all. The reason for my using the snow tires only when needed is that snow tires wear quickly on dry pavement and also on several vehicles, I had dedicated studs. I'll never buy studded tires again because there are now more technologically advanced snow tires on the market that are more effective than using studs and don't harm the roadway. You folks in the Portland area seem to get more severe ice storms and snow conditions than we do in the Seattle area so you'll just have to decide on how long you want to keep your dedicated snow tires on the vehicle during the winter. You should be okay with the ultra high performance tires as long as the roadway itself is bare. Now that I don't plan on doing much mountain driving, my intention is to just use one high-performance tire which would be rated acceptable in snow and ice for all 4 seasons.

Billy-- So you decided to get dedicated winter tires afterall, eh? Sounds like a good decision to me ...especially being in the Chicago area. And I'm going to be really jealous that you'll have the sports suspension ...*tsk* maybe I'll just have to go out and get me one too! *lol* --gotta keep up with the "jones's"

Brian-- Yes, that's the way I've understood it too. The S4 production line shut down some time ago. I suppose they let you configure one on their web site just to get an idea of what options and colors are available and their cost. (???)

David-- Thanx, I'll keep those products in mind.

Bradd-- wow! ...so the gas gauge can't be replaced alone?? The whole instrument cluster has to be replaced? *whew*

--'rocco
  • Options
    mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    Does anyone have any experience with the P6's in the snow? How about the rain?
  • Options
    You can ask the guys in AudiWorld.....post at both the 02 A4 forum and the Tire/Wheel forum.
  • Options
    wickedaudiwickedaudi Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone

I am not an audi owner yet, but I hope to join this club shortly! I am currently negotiating with a private party for a 1999 2.8 Quattro. The price that we are talking about is right on the kbb price, but $2500 over the edmunds private party price (but in line with the 'edmunds dealer retail price). The car checks out and is on an extended warranty until 2005. Am I overpaying? I would appreciate your comments and insight!

Thanks!

wickedaudi
  • Options
    Billy:
    Wow! That would be a decent deal on an A6. Spoke to my friend today about it and guess what his first question is? Does the A6 3.0 have a manual? So, that takes care of that. An A6 2.7T manual is out of his price range (my dream car actually) and size wise he is happy with the A4. He is a single divorced no kids guy right now so space in the A4 is not an issue with him. Other option is still the S4. M3 is out due to trunk size (golfing and cycling are hobbies) and the fact that sedan would have to be a '97 or '98 anything later is coupe only. Thanks for the info though! Later Billy...
    Brian
  • Options
    So how much is that guy selling it for? Seems to me it's a little bit high if it's the same price as the dealer's retail price. I have access (for like another month) to Carfax.com so if you want me to check the carfax history report you can beam me the VIN.

Audibon, well yup that takes care of the A6 3.0 right away. I believe it's either Multitronic on the Fronttrac or Tip on Quattro with that engine. If his hobby is golfing or biking, he should get an S4 Avant then....or the A4 Avant. Yeah BMW 3-series has a very slightly larger interior but the trunk size is ridiculous. Good luck to your friend.

Billy
  • Options
    jar5jar5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying the 3.0 A4 in the Houston, TX area. Anyone know what kind of pricing I should be looking at over invoice? Any opinions on this car vs. the Volvo S60 2.4T?
  • Options
    Well the A4 can be had with Quattro, the Volvo.....I think you can have AWD on the S60 right? Not an expert in the Volvo, but Audi has 20 yrs of Quattro experience, while Volvo has a few starting with the V70XC. The A4 3.0 is not a turbocharged engine and has six cylinders with 5 valves each, while the Volvo 2.4T engine is a turbocharged engine with an oddball in-line 5 cylinder engine with 4 valves each.

I've driven the V70 a lot for biz trips and it's way much floatier vs the A4. Interior is nice but compared to the A4 it's no comparison. And the Volvo is a Ford.....oops. It got the floatiness as the american sedan. I don't think the Volvo comes with scheduled maintenance, but the Audi comes with 4yr-50k of it plus bumper to bumper warranty.

I haven't driven the turbocharged Volvo (the V70 I drove was the normal aspirated engine) but the turbo is bigger than the A4's, meaning it'll pump out more power but at a higher rpm than the A4. If you haven't driven the A4 1.8T, try it with a stick shift. It's fun as hell.

Billy
  • Options
    hoverdrivehoverdrive Member Posts: 16
    The February issue of MotorTrend magazine has a comparison article on the A4 vs. the S60. It has a sidebar explaining the differences between the two vehicles' 4wd systems (they're quite different). Overall, they seem to have liked the A4 a lot better than the S60.
  • Options
    FYI ALL:
    Anyone had any experience with early termination of a lease? Any brand of vehicle. Do not want to clutter board but it is not an Audi but we want to end a 4 yr. lease at 3 yrs. and go for something larger. BTW we have a GM owned product and are moving up in the GM lineup if this helps. 2 80 lbs. Labs does this to a family. Thanks for any of your thoughts or help.
    Brian
  • Options
    Early termination... The best thing to do is try and find someone to take over your lease payments. There are a few websites with listings.

As far as turing your car in early...that's fine as long as you pay the year of l;ease payments you have left. At leasyt that's what I was told by Saab. Call the leasing company to find out.

• Options
    however someone here on the boards convinced me to seriously check out the 02 1.8T. Well, for about $2000 more than what i was aiming for......
    I got a brand new Dolphin Gray 1.8T sitting in the garage with the wifey enjoying. :*(
    every once in a while i get to play...like last night when it was snowing! :) heheh...going in a straight line without the car pointing straight ahead and the ESP/TCS light flashing in the dash. AHHHH...
    so....depending on how much you're paying...you may want to seriously consider the new 2002 one. Good luck!
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .with a "smashing" review of the new Passat W8 (US price reportedly $37,900). The article claimed that the version that hit the streets this month in the UK has a stiffened "sport" suspension as standard, bi-xenon lights, ESP, ABS w/brake assist, leather and seats that are "the same as" in an A8, etc etc etc. A 275HP W8 engine, 17" wheels/tires with aggressive tread and creature comforts aplenty. Moreover, it was claimed that it was a possible alternative to a BMW 540i! The article (UK audience remember) claimed that 0-62MPH was 6.5 seconds (with the standard 6spd manual and 7.0 seconds with the "silky smooth five-speed tiptronic, bla bla bla). The final "dig" was that it was 10,000 pounds sterling LESS than a BMW which -- after all -- doesn't even have all wheel drive (the Passat W8 comes standard with it).

The article discussed sat nav and a host of other Audi-like features.

The US press claims that the W8 will be fully equipped and have very few options needed to make it a true sport-luxury car.

I know that the new Audi A4 3.0 quattro sport can be had for less than $37,900 -- but most of us will probably option the thing out to about $38k -- if you have a choice of an A4 or an "A5" (which is what the Passat is, IMO) and they cost the same but one has a "sweet 8 cylinder engine" (and the other has a sweet 6) -- hasn't either Audi or VW created a situation wherein VW may steal Audi sales or vice versa?

Maybe that is the plan -- it is starting to get a little confusing tho -- and if the Passat actually has a 6spd offered in the US, well where do I sign up for a test drive?!?
  • Options
    ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    Sorry if this is a recurring question, but does anyone know when/if Audi plans on producing an S4 on the new platform? Also, any details about the engine, etc.? I went back about two screens and didn't see any info. on it.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    I for one completely fail to understand what VW is doing with this car. VW already _has_ a perfectly good luxury division - why muddy the waters with a machine that manages to encroach on the territory of both the A4 and A6. VW's chairman has gone on record saying that he wants VW to be a "luxury" marque that competes with Mercedes, and Audi is the "sports" brand that competes with BMW. Maybe this makes a difference in Europe, but I believe the nuances will be completely lost here in the States, where MB, Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. are all just perceived as "luxury" lines. Plus, I believe that too many people's mental image of VW is rooted in the old Bug and Microbus to look at them as a player in the $30K and up zone.

Now, of course, this goes without even mentioning the upcoming Phaeton - can we say "$50,000 Volkswagen"?

I have nothing whatsoever against VW (great cars) but I think that there is a reason that GM doesn't try to sell $40-50K Chevrolets. That's what Cadillac is for, and (should be) what Audi is for.
  • Options
    dougmgdougmg Member Posts: 13
    It's a 2.8Q with sunroof, CD changer, leather and sport suspension. Best of all it had 14K. I paid $23,500. I love this car. I feel like I just bought a new car marked down 30%.
  • Options
    sounds like you got a nice car. What color combo did you get?

• Options
    Ingolstadt. Went for my annual visit to Munich with the Quattro Club of America -- now I have no inside poop that means anything other than "speculation" -- but the talk from the Americans around the dinner table was of a [hoped for] S4 with a 2.9 bi-turbo. The reasons are obvious and logical, but Audi officials would only smile like cats that ate the canary (or so I am told).

Many S4 owners love to fiddle with their cars (as do A4 1.8T owners) -- the reason is that the Audi turbo engines lend themselves to relatively easy and relatively inexpensive modifications just by the simple act of changing the breathing or the chipping of the turbo equipped cars. The V8 with 340 HP would not be either as easy or as cheap to "pump up."

Look at it this way a 2.8 non turbo Audi = 200HP. Same engine, modified and bi turbo'd (and called a 2.7T = 250HP and bags of torque below 2000RMP). New 3.0 engine 220 HP -- now extrapolate -- 2.9T with Bi-turbo could "easily" be 275HP with bags of torque at a low RMP.

It is not in any way out of the question to have the 2.9T come in at 300HP (from the factory).

Just as the A6 2.7T is "quicker" than the A6 4.2 -- it is again not out of the question that the (so far) theoretical S4 2.9T could be quicker than an S4 4.2 -- and the tuners would love a 2.9T -- who knows it might even be lighter and improve the f/r balance thereby improving the handling of the S4 2.9T over the 4.2.

All the spy stuff I have read from both sides of the Atlantic points to an S4 4.2 in calendar 2003. But so many of my fellow countrymen and women are pulling for the 2.9T engine it could be like the article on that new Passat W8 said -- the prototype W8 Passat's had very soft (too soft) suspensions and that the press and the public "demanded" a sportier suspension which made VW change its mind.

We all know that Audi certainly has the technical talent to engineer a 2.9T -- so, as far fetched as it seems at this moment, it is certainly not beyond the pale to imagine perhaps an S4 and an S4+ (they did it with the S6 remember) -- one with a 2.9T and one with a 4.2.

Look at it this way -- there apparently was in Audi's mind room for both a 2.7T and a 4.2 A6 -- so maybe there is room for 2 engines in a Super A4 (the S4).

Just a thought.
  • Options
    of the Audi "Die Hards" would rather see a Bi-Turbo V-6 in the next S4 because of the tunablility and obvious weight advantages (myself included). But the reality is that a 275 hp or even 300 hp engine won't cut it against a 333 hp M3 or a 349 hp C32 AMG in the Mid $40 to Low $50,000 Sport Sedan price class. The only way a Bi-Turbo V-6 could be done is if they use a variant of the engine from the RS4 (2.9 Liters & 360-375 HP to compromise for the added weight of Quattro) would be to compromise the low end torque. I'm not trying to start an A4 vs M3 vs C32 Argument either.

• Options
    Your assessment of the competition's offerings are dead-on. I, for one, would rather have a 300HP 2.9T. But in the Car Wars scheme of things, I guess the old adage is true:

"there's no replacement for displacement."

Sigh. . .I really didn't want to race an M3 anyway -- but I do want an S4, even with that pesky V8 :).
  • Options
    ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    Although I currently drive a 330i, I'm quite anxious to see the new iteration S4. I'll probably look to replace my 330 in 2004, so it might be good timing. As long as they set the M3 squarely in their sights, and come in a bit cheaper, they'll have a very compelling offering. I know I'll keep a sharp lookout!
  • Options
    Heck, while they're at it, why not put the W12 engine in the thing?!?

Better yet, why not offer a (relatively speaking) "mild" S4 with a bi-turbo 2.9L V6 at 295HP and a like amount of torque at 1900rpm with a non-notchy 6spd (with only 6th gear overdrive instead of both 5th and 6th as they have currently); and, a "wild" S4 with the hotted up 340HP (but as I read the specs the torque on this engine is around 305 but doesn't come on until something north of 3000 RPM -- so the mild version might actually be quicker to 100kph?!?) and a lower final drive ratio?

I -- and I must be in the minority -- would not consider an M3's acceleration capability when buying an S4 because drag racing an M3 is not something I would consider a selling point. But, as I said -- I am probably in the minority.

I have never once raced a BMW 540 with my A6 4.2 -- I suspect the 540 would win in a stoplight straight line dry pavement contest, but the Audi wins in so many other ways it "makes me no nevermind" as the saying goes.

Finally, if the hotted up V6 2.9T were available, I bet it would be, relatively speaking a MAJOR bargain!
  • Options
    houaudia418thouaudia418t Member Posts: 4
    Just curious if anyone out there have the MIL (check engine light) blinking? I called the
    Audi dealer in Houston and told me not to drive it but have it towed there. The engine
    is running a liitle rough. Anyone know what could be the problem? I'm not taking any
    chances so I'm having it towed to the dealer. The warranty is already out.
  • Options
    I think Scirocco had a MIL on but not blinking......but that's a different story I think. Mark may be able to shed some light on this since he owned so many Audi's b4?

Or you can ask this question at www.audiworld.com......they are experts in giving you explanations and advice.

Good luck and let us know what's the story later.

Billy
  • Options
    houaudia418thouaudia418t Member Posts: 4
    The dealership service advisor told me the Power Output Control Module is bad.
    He told me I need to replace the throttle-body too. That I don't know why.
    He quoted an estimate of $1500 to replace both the Power Output Control Module and
    throttle-body. I think I'm going to get a second opinion on this problem. Anyone out there
    heard of this? I think the car is still driveable.
  • Options
    anthonycanthonyc Member Posts: 21
    Anyone in this forum bought a 2002 A4 1.8Tq in the Seattle/Bellevue? I want to how much you paid over invoice and which dealer you bought it from?

Thanks,

Anthony
  • Options
    Anthony-- In order not to bore everybody about my opinion of Seattle area dealers again or get into an argument with other Seattle area posters, email me if you want my opinion or debatably want to save a little money.

houaudia41.8t-- Yikes!! $1,500?? Yes, definitely get a second opinion. I believe there are many other less expensive disorders that can make an MIL blink such as fouled injectors, defective coil(s), exhaust or cat converter problems, etc. My MIL problem was not a "blinking" kind and went away in about four "driving" cycles and was caused by letting the engine sit for several weeks without starting. So it was not as severe as a blinking MIL such as you have. Good luck.

--'rocco
  • Options
    hfbhfb Member Posts: 18
    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on buying a 3.0Q and only need to decide on color and sport suspension choices. My dilemna is as follows, I am nut for wide tires so I really like how the 17" tires look on the A4 but don't really feel I need the sport suspension (regular suspension fealt fine). Additionally, I would like to avoid changing tires for Winter months if I can (I live in Philadelphia suburbs and commute 60 miles round trip so I know this probably is not realistic). Based on the above I have a few questions:

1) At approximately what temperature do the high performance Summer tires begin to be more of a liability than an asset?

2) Can you order (directly from Germany)the 17" tires in a more all season version versus the Summer high performance version?

3) Why doesn't Audi let you order the larger tires separate from the sport suspension?
  • Options
    My 1.8T has arrived and I was able to pick it up yesterday. Had a lot of fun driving it. It has been perfect and putting grin after grin on my face. The wait was totally worth it.

vince...8o)
  • Options
    hfb, I dunno about car mfgs throwing in separate options as fatter tires.....as far as I know in recent years most mfgs will offer "sports" pkg with fatter high performance tires, but not just the tires. Switching to lower profile and fatter tires should improve performance somewhat, but not a lot if you don't have stiffer suspension. I dunno at what temp the high perf tires start to be stiff.....I guess the tire mfg won't say it in their website fearing they might get lawsuits from people who were driving at 40F and the tire spec says it should stay soft down to 39F.

A4_4Vince, congrats!! I can imagine your grin on your face.....watch out.....if you are not careful your jaws might drop and dislocate. Enjoy it.....but take it easy when you break it in.

Billy