Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    If you live in PA anywhere, the temperature issue MAY be a problem with summer tires.

The ultra high or maximum performance tires that will come with the sport suspension will, generally speaking, have several characteristics besides the improved handling characteristics that go with the territory:

1. They will likely be louder -- ie they will have (probably) more road noise
    2. They will probably not last very long -- 20,000 miles for some of these tires is pushing it
    3. They will not like cold weather -- some are more forgiving than others.

Having said that, I ordered a non-sport suspension on a 2000 A6 4.2 but I did order the 17" wheel and tire option. The tires that came with the car were Dunlop Sp9000's. I did not change to winter tires (I live in Cincinnati which probably has somewhat milder winters than anywhere in PA). On the very coldest of days -- very cold -- the tires seemed to develop flat spots, but with some freeway driving the effect (thump thump thump) was temporary.

With the quattro drivetrain, I found no real need for snow tires, but frankly I did wish for an all season high performance tire perhaps for the reasons you cite (I didn't want to change my wheel/tires for winter).

When I got my 2001 A6 4.2 with sport package it came with Pirelli P6000's -- which IMHO are the worst tires I have ever had -- noisy from day one and very short tread life -- at 8,000 miles I replaced them with Yokohama AVS db's which are Ultra-high performance all season tires (in size 255 x 40 x 17's which was the OEM size).

I don't think it is possible -- yet -- to order a car with the specific tires (within safety margins) you want. It is crazy, considering the sophisitcation of modern ERP software systems that Audi (and other mfgs) doesn't let its customers order tire wheel combinations from day one.

I would personally want the sport suspension and the 17" wheels on my new A4 if I were you, and I would want to configure them with the highest performance tires that suited my circumstances -- in your case, you would apparently like to have the high performance wheels, the comfort suspension and high performance all season tires.

Of course you can get the car this way -- it just depends on the cooperation you get from your dealer and/or how high the stack of hundred dollar bills is that you will spend to get exactly what you want.

Check to see if it is possible to order the car with the comfort suspension and the sport wheel/tire combo, then "make a deal" with your dealer (and he will make a deal with a tire retailer) to remove the tires from your new A4 the moment it comes off the truck, and replace them with the tires you want (probably at a relatively small expense for you).

Good luck.
  • Options
    akuohakuoh Member Posts: 1
    Audi A4 is the work of the devil!

I'm 24yo. For the last 2 years, I've been slaving away in corporate America and saving for a house down payment. Being a little bored, I went car shopping for something about $25k.

CR-V and Xterra, I felt nothing for them. IS300 and WRX, good but there are obvious flaws. Then I saw it, 1.8TQA Plat/DBlue with the works.

It looks great, but not the prettiest. It doesn't have everything, but it's got it where it counts. I'd have to take care of it, but it's not high maintenance. There's just something about the way it moved, the way it turned, the way it made me smile. Now I can't get it out of my mind.

It whispers for me to leave my faithful and practical Civic. To dip into the house down payment as a down payment for it. Anything that tempts a man's heart so must be the work of the devil.

So I beseech all you lurkers out there without an A4 yet; run away! Get thee to a nunnery. Don't look at it! Don't feel it! DO NOT TEST DRIVE IT! The A4 is the devil I tells ya. Run away!
  • Options
    lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    Wrong audience buddy.....we're already slaves of the Audi family.....we worship the Audi devils.

Billy
  • Options
    Just lease the thing for 39 months with no money down -- don't touch the down payment.
  • Options
    5thgearpinned5thgearpinned Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    Bought the kit from SPP (www.supremepowerparts.com) and it's wonderful. Paid $540 (free shipping) and installed it yesterday with about 10 fellow Audi owners in Chicago. Looks just like OEM xenons and everything the headlight illuminates is white instead of slightly yellowish. Totally worths the $$, and it comes with 5 yrs warranty. The one bad thing I can think of is, it doesn't have the auto-levelling motors so I'm checking with fellow A4 OEM xenon owners and see if the low beam xenons are shining at the right area. Alright to you OEM xenon A4 2001.5 owners out there, when you hold the high beam stalk and let the high beam shines WITH the low beam xenons, where does the high beam shine at? My high beam shines right above the low beam xenon beam with little or no gap between. Is that the case in your OEM xenons??

I will try to post some pics later.....Pat, how do we post pics on here again? I remember we can't just cut-and-paste a pic here, we gotta post a link to a picture hosting service or something like that.

Billy
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How good is the 1.8-liter 20V turbo engine when it comes to overall reliability and durability?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    KarenS, the Owners Club host explains how to post pictures at this link: KarenS "Audi A4 Owners: Photo Gallery" May 18, 2001 6:34am.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Billy-- *yay!* ...I'm glad you finally got 'em. Does my OEM xenons have auto-levellers? ...I know the '02 A4s and the '01 S4s do but do the '01 A4s? And yeah, I don't notice any "gap" between the beams when using the high-beams. I hope Karen (nitpicker) sees your post ...I know she's been complaining about the inadequate lighting of the OEM halogen projectors.

jrosasmc-- Consumer Reports does rate the 1.8T engine as "above average" in reliability. As we've discussed before, it's an engine that is used across the VW/Audi model line and has made the Wards ten-best four times. I've heard very few complaints about the reliability of the low-pressure turbo of this engine if left in its stock form. 2002 application is for the Jetta: http://www.industryclick.com/microsites/index.asp?srid=10430&pageid=1794&siteid=26&magazineid=50&srtype=1 and http://industryclick.com/magazinearticle.asp?magazineid=50&releaseid=9753&magazinearticleid=137793&SiteID=26

Just received in the mail yesterday the March edition of Consumer Reports and although the A4 came in second in the comparo, it wasn't recommended because of sporadic electrical problems that left them stranded and necessitated numerous trips for service. hmmmmmmm

Quite a Superbowl, eh?

--'rocco

• Options
    tiger8tiger8 Member Posts: 120
    In the March issue of CR, the A4 came in 2nd? Which car came in first? The Lexus ES 300? I haven't seen the issue. CR loved the previous ES300, so I imagine they loved this one, too.
  • Options
    Yup quite a 4th quarter and quite a superbowl.

Yes all OEM xenons got auto levelling because of DOT. In other words my xenons are illegal cuz they don't have auto-levelling.....and that's why I wanna set them at the right level. For Karen's situation, I heard xenons with S4 Euro housings is the best combo. It blocks out the least light output from the housings. The S4 Euro housings (also fit A4's) cost $500, but she can sell the OEM projector housings to pre 99 A4's which don't have projector housings for around $300, meaning she only needs to pay out of pocket around $200. Does Karen (nitpicker) have xenons??

Billy
  • Options
    nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    Hey guys --

After complaining here about my stock headlights, I finally complained to the dealer's service dept, which checked 'em and told me they were aimed too low. They adjusted 'em, and I'm relieved to say that there's a HUGE difference. So I'm satisfied, at least for the time being.

Billy, congratulations! If I had the guts and know-how to change my own headlights, I might have done what you did.

Rocco, I'm almost afraid to look at the March issue of CR....
  • Options
    Karen and Paul-- No, the article/comparo in the latest issue did not make the new A4 3.0 look that bad but still, I was disappointed that it didn't get the "checkmark" of recommendation. I surmise it was because of the electrical problems they were having in their test vehicle although they didn't come right out and say that. They summarized the A4's "Highs" as: Handling, driver's seat comfort, fit and finish, safety gear; the "Lows" as: Low-speed ride, tight rear seat. They still claim that the A4's interior is "luxuriously detailed and flawlessly assembled." But they also stress that the new A4's rear seat is (still) too small for two adults and the rear access is difficult. And yes, you guessed right, Paul, in the comparo of the 5 cars tested the results were:

1. Lexus ES300
    2. Audi A4 3.0 quattro
    3. Acura 3.2TL Type-S
    4. Infinity I35
    5. Jaguar X-Type 3.0

The results so far in the overall ratings of their "Upscale Sedans" category which this comparo was apart of are as follows:

1. BMW 330i (r)
    2. Lexus IS300 (r)
    3. Mercedes-Benz C320 (r)
    4. Lexus ES300 (r)
    5. Lincoln LS V6 (r)
    6. Audi A4 3.0 quattro
    7. Acura 3.2TL Type-S (r)
    8. Infinity I35 (r)
    9. Jaguar X-Type 3.0
    10. Volvo S60 2.4T
    11. Chrysler 300M (r)
    12. Mitsubishi Diamante

(r) = recommended

--'rocco
  • Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Which issue of CR did you get these rankings from? I can't find all of my old ones and CR web site only shows current one which doesn't show these cars being rated.
  • Options
    Bob-- The first list of 5 is the comparison test done for the most recent, March 2002, issue now out on the newsstands. Those five cars are now added to the existing list of previously tested models in the "upscale sedans" category. The previously tested models are from various past issues dating, I believe, as far back as the 2000 model year. Let me know if you'd like the exact issue that the models on the second list were tested.

--'rocco
  • Options
    Thanks, the new issue isn't up on the CR website yet so I will look for the hard copy in my mail box this week. Thanks.
  • Options
    An A4 rated below a Lincoln? Yikes!!

BTW, I was in Arizona last week, rented a Volvo S60, and I agree with the ratings in this respect: IMHO it didn't measure up to the A4. The handling of the S60 seemed lighter, and it seemed less powerful in passing. It also huffed and puffed going up mountains; a manual or Tiptronic definitely would have come in handy there. All in all, it seemed more like a luxury car than a "driver's car"; in fact, it was reminiscent of my parents' 2001 I30. Not a bad car -- just not as much fun as an A4.
  • Options
    silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    Consumer Reports (CR) evaluates cars as if they are toasters or washing machines. They are more interested in the location of horn buttons or how many suitcases they can fit into the trunk. And they are in love with Toyota (and Lexus, of course). Case in point: I owned a 1997 Sentra briefly. CR for years and years criticized this car because it "leaned excessively at curves." Then I owned a 1998 Camry which leaned at curves much more than Sentra did but CR did not say even a word about it. They also did not mentioned the cheap and ugly interior materials used and Camry's four cylinder engine being a joke. They also failed to mention the lousy steering and suspension. They even did not bothered to indicate that when you folded the rear seat backs, they did not lie flat and the opening between the trunk and the passenger compartment was much smaller compared to cars such as my 1988 Accord, so the it was difficult to carry long items even tough Camry was much bigger outside compared to Accord.

I still read their magazine, but I NEVER TAKE CONSUMER REPORTS SERIOUSLY WHEN IT COMES TO CARS.
  • Options
    HEHE I don't care what CR says about that new Lexus ES300.....that new one just looks really ugly. Reliability is important, but I just don't feel like driving that "thing". Plus I agree with silvernubira. CR is good at rating consumer products like microwave ovens or fridges, but that's it. Cars? I don't think so.

Billy
  • Options
    I think CR is helpful to a point. For instance, the frequency-of-repair charts are based on the responses of thousands of readers; there's little room for subjectivity there. Also, I find it helpful to use their charts that compare different vehicles' safety features, gas mileage, cargo capacity, and other specs. I wouldn't use CR alone in deciding which car to buy, but I wouldn't use any source by itself in making a decision like that.
  • Options
    View from the side (the picture doesn't do it justice.....it's not THAT bright from the front.....it still retains the "crystal" look:

View from the driver's seat (notice the brightness, sharp cutoff and location of xenon beam)

Billy

• Options
    My photo hosting site works......

I typed

(img src="site")

but of course used < and > instead of ( and ).

Pat, HELP!!

Billy

• Options
    ...just post the URL until you can figure out how to post the actual pics. I'm curious to see them. Thanx.

Ry-- *lol* After reading your profile and seeing you own a Daewoo, I guess you don't take CR too seriously. But no, I don't put too much credibility in their auto ratings (or those for toothpaste or shampoo either, for that matter) but many people do. And I also agree with Karen in that I don't use it as my sole source of making a decision to buy any product. I've been a subscriber for years but do find their publication interesting to a point.

--'rocco
  • Options
    I don't think you did anything wrong, but I'm not sure why they don't show up. With Netscape, you can right click on the broken link, choose Copy Image Location and then paste that link into another browser window - that works.

I have heard that some sites prevent folks from displaying things directly to another site. I wonder if that could be the case with your picture host?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    nevermind... I got the URL's from the mishaps. Looks good!

http://www.pbase.com/image/1081404

http://www.pbase.com/image/1081406

--'rocco

• Options
    Thanks Rocco.....for some reason I swear the aftermarket Xenons are brighter than the OEM's, yet they're the same wattage.....dunno.

Pat, I guess you might be right about my pic host won't allow folks to just displaying stuff on another site.

Billy
  • Options
    I don't know - there is some other picture hosting site that presents this same phenomenon. Initially when you make the post you see the picture, but ever after that the link is broken. And you can do the "Copy Image Location" thing to see the picture, so there is nothing wrong with the link. I forget what site that is.

I wonder how they do that.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    a4_4vincea4_4vince Member Posts: 25
    Billy: I have been trying very hard to keep the throttle away from the floor in early gears. I think I am doing a good job of it. However, I lost it couple times flooring the thing in 1st and 2nd. 550 more to go! How do you like your Xenon? I like mine. It's serious lighting. I have not seen the halogen one but the Xenon one is totally cool...

It has been five days. The car has been flawless. Tightly built. No rattle noise whatsoever. It is a bit uncomfortable shifting into 2nd when cold. But I could live with that and it is not happening when the car is warmed up. Other owners on here or AW stated that the engine would loosen up after break-in. I will see. But the car already is very agile. I really am looking forward to the post break-in period. It feels heavy but the engine revs smooth and is very able to push the beast. There just isn't a moment I am not having fun driving it.

vince...8o)
  • Options
    Audi's "need no break-in period" is what my dealer and even the factory folks say -- well that MAY be so, but I can tell you once you clear 5,000 miles you will feel like you have a new Audi.

At 5,000+ miles the engine and the whole drive train seem to "grow up" -- whatever you are feeling now, you will just have to take my word for it, at 5,000 miles on the clock you will look back at this time and think someone has done an engine transplant.

And, of course your gas milage will improve then too.

Now, believe it or not, the same thing will happen (only less so) at 10,000 miles. I don't know what it is about these engines but they just keep getting better.

My wife's 225HP 1.8T in her '01 TT has 27K on it now and it runs better than it ever has -- which is saying something.

My 300HP 4.2 in my '01 A6 now has over 20K on it and it too is better than new!

You are in for a very pleasant future with this car, Vince.
  • Options
    Thanks for your insight on the break-in issue. I certainly am glad that I got the Audi. I am in love with it already and hope it would stay trouble-free. It's like a shot at the arm hearing what you just described. I will let the magic show unfold. I really hope my little A4 will get with the program just like yours would. Do you have to do any special care to the engine beside scheduled maintainence? Happy motoring...

vince...8o)
  • Options
    Billy-- After scrounging around on their web site a bit, I think I've figured out why you are not able to direct link from your galleries. Email me if you're interested.

--'rocco
  • Options
    In response to Silvernubira's claim that CR loves Toyota and never finds fault with the Camry, etc. Not entirely accurate. In the past, CR has commented on the plain jane dashboard of the Camry, that, in contrast to the Passat, the Camry's not at all sporty, that the old 4 cylinder engine was anemic (reflected in acceleration figures), that the steering of the previous Camry had little road feel, etc. Aside from that, however, and considering the Camry's superb repair record, it's hard to beat as a practical family car. In general, I prefer CR's sober and consistent tests to the ever changing standards of the car magazine cowboys whose motto is often, "Real men don't need brakes."
  • Options
    mike_e_smithmike_e_smith Member Posts: 20
    In addition, CR has had a lot of praise for the A4 and A6 over the last 4-5 years. The A6 topped their charts as best overall car for a couple of years. Honestly, CR (and the snow and ice in Upstate NY) were the reasons I became interested in the Audi's after a period where they were not very popular. I think all reviews (including the Edmund's site contributions) are a useful source of information. Then, I can weigh the various comments and check out the factors that are most important to me to see if I agree. The downside is that it takes a lot of time and that every car has faults. We all have to make trade-offs.
  • Options
    CR finally posted their new issue on their site late yesterday afternoon so the article on the five cars is now there. Thanks for advice and direction.
  • Options
    silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    Previous generation of Camry was first introduced in 1997. Mine was 1998 model. I bought the car in August 1998 without even seing it (I needed a new car and since it was a Toyota I had no qualms about the quality--a big mistake!). It took me a few weeks to decide that Camry was not much of a car unless one was interested in a "sofa ride" and CR claimed reliability. Mine was not reliable. Toyota had no interest in repairing it (which seems to be quite common) and I made them buy it back. Yes, Consumer Reports recently (long after I get rid of mine) started mildly criticizing Camry. It took them more than 2 years and negative inputs from readers like me to include such minor criticism.

The point I am trying to make is this: CR has all the personnel, facilities and resources to really closely evaluate their test cars. They also let their staff use these cars and "live" with them. However, all we get in a single page write-up is superficial "evaluation" of these cars and mostly personal and usually biased opinions of CR staff. They never provide detailed information on how these cars perform, how good or lousy they are in day-to-day use (in detail, again), and what defects/problems they encounter (they never provide any information on this). What does "our test car had three sample defects" mean? It means nothing to me and this is another example of the useless information they provide: remember all those criticism about the location of horn buttons, or lack of passengers's handles (the one over the window) or possibility of one hitting his/her head on trunk lid hinges because they are not designed properly!

By the way, as everybody knows, the reliability data CR is famous for comes from the readers and not from CR testing.

P.S. I hope Consumer Reports is listening(?!)
  • Options
    The only thing I do with my Audi's is change the oil and filter twice as often as is included in the Audi Advantage. So instead of a 10,000 mile interval, I go for 5,000 mile oil and filter changes. Of course I have to pay for the extra oil changes, but I think it is worth it -- from an engine transmission standpoint, I have never had any problems with my Audi's -- except for my 1979 Audi Fox GTI -- which from the day I bought it used a quart of oil every couple hundred miles.

I loved that car too -- and frankly never had the thing "taken care of" -- I kept it about 20,000 miles and just put the oil in it regularly (that would not be my behavior now, though, I would have it repaired under the AA). My point is, our Audi's have not been flawless, but they have been relatively low maintenance and virtually everything that has ever gone wrong has been covered by Audi.

The Audi engines are wonderful -- and that's since 1978.

If I had any complaints about Audi's engines over the years, it is just that I always wanted more power from them. Our current stable with a 225HP 1.8 and a 300HP 4.2 have almost totally overcome that issue, however.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Hi all,

It's been a long time since I posted, most likely since I bought the A4 back on Oct. 1, 2001. Anyways, just a quick question...
    I was cleaning out my garage the other day (a miracle!) and noticed about 10 oil spots from under the Audi. Now, I can't say when it started, but I know for sure it's from the A4. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know if they didn't tighten down the oil filter enough or what...
    Of course, I'm not taking this car back to HBL in tyson's, VA. Their service is the worst ever (yes, worse than FORD!). I took my car in for a speaker replacement and 5000 mile maintenence, and ended up taking it back 2 more times to get the speaker taken care of, and they left a GIANT scratch in the trunklid! Grrr!!!
    This car does seem to be running better as the engine loosens up. I just hope I didn't buy the 1 Audi built by Hans after going to the Ratskeller! Mein Gott!

Tschus...
  • Options
    Are you certain it is oil and not that substance that new Audi engines come coated with -- chromalin or something like that?

I had what I thought was an oil leak but it was a kind of gooey STP like substance that was used to coat the car for its trip across the water -- it smelled a little bit too, almost like burning oil, but not as smokey.

I would still take it back, but it is possible that it is not oil -- of course if it keeps on doing it, then it might be either crankcase or power steering oil/fluid.

Good luck.
  • Options
    jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Saw a 2.0 in Vancouver over the weekend.
    At first I thought it is available in Canada only,
    like the 320i, but apparently not...
    Wonder how it gets over the pond.
  • Options
    Inquiring minds want to know if this is possible or if it is perhaps a one off?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    There is a 2.0 Available in Europe. It is no doubt powered by the 115hp 2.0 that lurks in the base VWs over here. I doubt Audi would bring the 2.0 A4 to the US. People say 2.0 Jettas & golfs are underpowered, can you imagine a 3XXXlb A4 2.0 with Quattro and an Automatic Transmission. O-60 time would be in the 15 second range.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Vancouver, Washington? What state license plate does that A4 2.0 carry?
  • Options
    Yup it must be using the VW 2.0L engine found on NA Jettas and new Bugs. Well most roads in urban European cities are narrow and curvy and tight (to America's standards) so most of the cars there don't have monster engines and have no need to do 0-60. Plus gasoline is 4 times as expensive over there. You don't want to pay for gas on a gas guzzling engine or vehicle like an SUV. That's why there's an A8 2.8 (yes it uses the same engine as the A4 2.8 here) over there.....and there are S280 Mercedes over there.

I don't think you can put Quattro with a 2.0L engine.....only thing you can do Quattro is with the 1.8T, the 2.5T diesel and the 3.0 engines. And that's why most European cars are manual cuz there's more power for the stop-and-go traffic. Actually there's a 1.6L engine in the European A4's.....makes about 100hp.

A4_4Vince, I think jskho meant Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Billy
  • Options
    But how would they get it here? It would not come from a legit new Audi dealer would it?

I rented an A4 (in Germany) with the 1.6 engine. 0-100km same day, but would run with four people and luggage at 160km with "no pain" -- it just took a long time to get to speed.

My choice, had I a magic wand, would be the 2.5 turbo diesel -- I drove one, it was very strong and frankly from the inside you couldn't tell it was a diesel and hardly from the outside.

Also rode in an A6 Avant 2.5TD -- was obviously more sluggish, but still better than my 99 A6 2.8 gas powered.

Waaa waaa -- they get all the choices over there.

But, AoA actually imports, generally, the best Audi's in the line up at the time with lots of stuff that in Germany come only as options.

Tomato, tomaato.
  • Options
    jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Yes. It is Vancouver, BC.
    It is not Quattro, and it is manual (told by the way the car jerks when the driver shifts).
    It carries regular BC plates (not consul plates)and the rear one is mounted on a bracket which is wider than the plate itself. I suppose it is for European plates.
    While we are on this topic, I saw an A3 with WA plates in the Seattle area last year.

And why is BMW importing the 320i to Canada only but not US... Doesn't seem like it makes good economic sense considering the small size of the Canadian market.
  • Options
    stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    There is an A4 2.0 over here in Germany, but it isn't the same engine Golfs and Jettas have. It's a all new constructed 20V-4-cylinder which produces 130 hp (0-100 km/h in 9.9s, top speed 132 mph). This engine is also available in European A6. And there is also an A4 1.6 (100 hp) and A4 2.4 (170 hp).
  • Options
    Ok, now my normally impatient (who is being very patient) friend is getting frustrated ('02 3.0Q 6speed). His Gas Gauge crapped out on him. The dealer couldn't fix it (they thought it was a relay or electrical problem) and ordered a new instrument cluster for him. They installed the new instrument cluster yesterday and the gas gauge doesn't work. They claim to have "RUSH" ordered another instrument cluster from Germany that will be here in "2 or 3 days." I'll keep you updated!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    That's not surprising.....if I were your friend I would be impatient too. When you first told us that the dealership thought it's an instrument cluster problem we all thought it's weird. I mean, have they checked on the sensors in the fuel tank? Or the lines that lead to the fuel gauge on the instrument cluster?

Good luck to your friend.

Steher, wow so that 2.0 engine on the A4 also got 5 valves per cylinder huh? So they took all the trouble to develop another normally aspirated engine that's so close to displacement to the 1.8 non turbo engine?

Billy
  • Options
    Any word on whether the '03 A4 1.8T will get the hp up to 180 from 170?

• Options
    Consumer Reports is in no position to give elaborate multi-page reviews of individual automobiles. CR is not an auto magazine. They test hundreds of different products and thus must summarize their findings about the autos they test.

You may have had problems with one Camry, but their reliability data, undoubtedly the best in the industry, are based on reports of tens of thousands of owners. You can't really dispute the reliability record of Toyotas en masse. Yes, the repair data comes from the owners, but it's analyzed and put in meaningful form by the CR's writers, editors and statisticians.

I'm sure Toyota cared little about your problems; what manufacturer does? I had a Celica once that lost all its oil on the highway due to a parts defect, and Toyota offered little compensation. But the Buick/Toyota dealer who repaired it told me, "If you think Toyota's bad, you should see what Buick would do for you--nothing!"

As for CR's bias toward Toyota, as someone said earlier, CR has praised Audis right along in the past, and, by the way, their all-time favorite car is the BMW530--best car they ever tested, they said.

Finally, don't forget CRs subscribers are by and large middle-class American families with kids, not young, single, male car buffs. These middle-class families do care about the size of a car's trunk and other details that might seem irrelevant to C&D readers. These middle-class families do not care about maximum performance on the skid pad. They're concerned with getting the kids to soccer practice and picking up something for dinner at the supermarket. CR's auto tests are thus sensibly geared to their subscribers and their needs.