Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• Here here!! Well, said! I'll raise a glass to that :)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 6,696
    Ah, now it comes out. You have a political/philosophical axe to grind. Take it elsewhere, please. This is a discussion about the Regal, not politics. We don't need you or your like-minded types posting false statements about the relative qualities of vehicles from 2 different political points of view. And you naivete about the involvement of the Korean government in the affairs of Hyundai over the years is also quite troubling. In any event, please go away and find yourself a political forum.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    I'll be enjoying my Buicks now, and for a VERY GOOD LONG TIME!!!!!! GM will not fail again unless they produce shoddy automobiles, the likes of the old Hundee Excel.

While I do have disappointment that the Regal is not class leading, it HAS gotten some very good reviews. My feeling is that GM has been too conservative the last 18 months in how they are rolling out new products.

According to a new report released by the Center for Automotive Research, 1.14 million jobs were saved by the bailout, thus allowing $28.6 billion to be paid in SSI and income taxes, not to mention the savings in unemployment payments and retraining grants NOT paid out. According to their study, they would only need to recoup $38 billion for a theoretical break even point.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    The Center for Automotive Research is on many car manufacturer's payrolls! They are extremely biased. Want an example? Did their analysis consider the tax effect, of all the losses to all the stockholders, bondholders, the pension guaranty fund, and all the suppliers who didn't get their invoices paid? No? Huh, I wonder why? Maybe they have former writers from Pravda.

GM will not fail again unless they produce shoddy automobiles,

So then you admit that GM made many shoddy vehicles that caused their failure. Let's see they failed from the time they had 50% market-share to 2008 (at least). What's that 30 years? Or weren't they shoddy, and GM just pays everyone too much, and charges too much for so-so vehicles, which to keep on topic is where I see the Regal and most Buicks and GM's.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,437
    And I'll raise a glass to you.
    edited December 2010
    So do you think that the new GM has learned from the past few decades of having GMAC being their crutch as you mention making up for other mismanagement, UAW, and decent but not exciting or popular vehicles? You don't really need to answer here, but think about if GM has really made enough changes. I don't see it.

I don't see the Buick Regal as being particularly better or lower price than alternate vehicles. As such I don't really see them selling many after the initial "rush" at introduction during the first few months. The vehicle is made overseas in Germany right? based on an Opel? has a 4 cyl engine, which is not a sin ... but at nearly $30K for a typically equipped vehicle that's pushing a "sin". I honestly have to say that though it may be missing a few bells-and-whistles, the Subaru Legacy with AWD for the low $20K's would be a very good choice.

What do you think sales of the Regal are going to be? Can Buick and GM survive in a few years, if they are putting out vehicles that sell 50K/year? I think they need some cars that sell 300K/year. I think the new vehicle market for the masses of the middle class- where GM needs to be, is in the $15K - $25K range. Sure GM can sell some Cadillacs or Vettes at the higher prices, but GM should be looking to retool and make vehicles that match the way most in the U.S. economy are headed.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited December 2010
    I think they need some cars that sell 300K/year. I think the new vehicle market for the masses of the middle class- where GM needs to be, is in the $15K - $25K range.

Isn't that what the Cruze and Malibu and Silverado/Sierra and Equinox/Terrain are for? Don't they also need something aspirational (but less expensive than a $50k Vette or Caddy)?
  • Considering Buick is a semi premium brand and has 4 vehicles its not going to be a volume brand. Buick outsells Lincoln, Audi and Acura and Infiniti in spite of having a limited lineup. If you think all those sales (especially Lacrosse and Regal) are going to 70 year olds than I dont know what to tell you. The regal will NEVER be close to a top 10 seller. It costs too much and Buick isnt a volume brand like Chevy or Toyota. Buick is competing with Lincoln and Acura mostly. Niether of those brands has a product that is in the top 20 sellers, probably not even top 30.

The fact that Gm's incentive spending is way down over last year suggest its pricing is pretty competitive. Increasing incentives would signal overpricing or lack of demand.

The nature of your commentary suggests that you have a Buick problem and a GM problem so I'm not going to expect any objectivity from you. You dont provide any numbers to support your claims but you tell us Buicks are overpriced and not resonating with the market. I guess that explains why they have one of the largest sales increases of any brand in 2010.

Regal just had its best month so far and is less than 1000 units behind TSX and CC with only one engine and one transmission.
  • ah, so you are a bitter anti GM, anti bailout guy. First of all the bailout was $50B, not $75b and much of it has been paid back already. The US may not get 100% of its money back, it depends on how the stock performs but most will be returned.

BMW, VW, MB, mazda and many others sell more cars outside of the US than in the US. What is the relevance of that statement? The US is still GM's 2nd largest market and its critical to the companies long term success. While GM sells lots of vehicles in China and other parts of the world, many of those products are lower end and low margin. The US is critical to GM's profitability and they made far more money here last quarter than they did in Asia.

Your comments about GM needing another bailout are absurd and show you are clueless about the balance sheet of the New Gm.
  • what does any of this have to do with the Regal? If you hate the car and the company than go away- its that simple.

No one has argued that GM didnt make some subpar vehicles in the past- this forum is about a competitive vehicle on sale TODAY- the Regal. I dont get why people are so upset that GM makes competitive vehicles. GM haters have spent 20-30 years bashing the company and it pains them to see GM turn out nice vehicles currently. We cannot go back to the 80s no matter how much you want to. All of the American automakers have learned from the past and are not turning out top notch vehicles. I suggest you get over it and go back to whatever anti-government, anti- bailout site you normally visit.
  • You are out of touch with reality and its a little scary.

Buick doesnt compete in the mass market with vehicles priced at $15k. Chevy only offers two products that start under $20k so suggesting that Buick should focus on the $15k-$25k price range is ridiculous. Buicks are supposed to cost more than Chevies on average, if you want cheaper transportation GM would be happy for you to buy a Chevy product.

No Buick will ever sell 300k a year. Luxury brands as a whole sell less than 300k units in this market so its ridiculous to suggest Buick needs a top 10 seller that will crack 300k annually. As I said, Buick is selling more vehicles than acura or Lincoln with only 4 models. The Regal adds two models next year plus the Verano is coming as well as the hybrid Lacrosse- look for more sales increases going forward. A new Enclave should be out in 2012 along with a 5 seat CUV.

Luxury brands are doing well across the board in 2010 so I dont understand why you suggest that GM needs to lower Buick prices to compete in this economy. MB, Lexus and BMW sell more vehicles than Buick and they are doing fine this year in spite of higher prices relative to Buick.
    First of all the bailout was $50B, not $75b and much of it has been paid back already.

I know that. But either you didn't read my post correctly or you haven't been following the last few years of GM's history. Do you remember when Rick Wagoner and the other 2 execs appeared before Congress Prebailout? Well check out that period of what other $ was thrown the Big 3's way.

The US is critical to GM's profitability and they made far more money here last quarter than they did in Asia.

And you're not just the least bit suspiscious that there weren't some 1-Time accounting games played for the IPO to look good, so the government could look good ... oh and coincidentally there was an election. It wouldn't be too hard for the non-public-GM to have upped fleet-sales to governement agencies at "higher-than-normal" prices, to increase profitability in N.A. Maybe not. But for those sorts of reasons government, politicians and business need to be kept as far as separate.

Your comments about GM needing another bailout are absurd and show you are clueless about the balance sheet of the New Gm

Really? If I'm clueless, then GM can repay the government in full today, right? Is that what you're saying Clueful? GM has so much $ they can repay the government and everyone they owe?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,042
    This is WAY off-topic for this discussion. Those who cannot refrain or take it to the appropriate topic may find their posting privileges restricted. GM is not the topic of conversation, nor are other makes/models. While they may incidentally come up, an extended conversational thread isn't OK. Members who come to this topic for information about the 2011 Regal should have a reasonable expectation that that's what they'll find here, by and large.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

I am trying, but I really don't get your point, kernick. I don't mean to be unfriendly or critical either. While you are right in that GM has not paid back all its debt, it is also true that if we had let GM and Chrysler go down, they would have taken Ford with them. Ford knew that and that is why they campaigned for the bailout, even though they did not take any money. Regardless, of whether or not you support any government bailouts, to lose all American car companies here would have meant the end of well over a million more jobs.

It also seems that GM got rid of a big part of their duplication, and their bad product, and have made a better turnaround in a shorter period than most of us expected. Buick in particular is going like gangbusters in China--and remember, there are a heckuva lot of rich Chinese now, who do not view Buick as damaged goods, but rather a luxury brand. Here, The Enclave, Lacrosse and Regal are a really good start, and Buick is making sales records and profits for a change. Do I want a Regal? After looking at it, no. But I can certainly see why it fills the bill for many others.

As for 4 cylinder engines, they are the wave of the future for many near luxury cars. In 2011, your only choice of an engine in an Audi A4 or A5 is a 2.0 liter 4, and that car (selling well for the market in which it competes) starts at $32K and ranges up to $50K. Buick will be offering two differently tuned direct injection turbos for the Regal, and hotter engines and AWD will likely follow once production is completely transferred to North America.

In any event, there is no reason you need to either like or respect the Buick brand, or specific cars like the Regal. You are entitled to your opinion and welcome to state it. But continuing to try convincing others to share your view that the car is not competitive, or should be less expensive than the competition, is just not going to get much purchase on a Regal forum thread where you find lots of people who are interested in buying one, or sharing their experience of owning one.
    Sorry, kirstie. I saw your post after submitting mine. You said it very succinctly. Now, back to the Regal!
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-01/classified/ct-rides-0404-smith-bui- ck-regal-review-20100401_1_buick-regal-opel-insignia-general-motors-brand

Are they correct in saying, "But let's face it: In the U.S., Buick's demographics are the oldest of any major car brand." ? Anyone have statistics on the demographics for the Regal alone? Who's buying them, ex-Buick owners, or are people switching brands?
    They are correct. Everyone knows that. The LeSabre and Park Avenue were almost solely built for the elderly whether Buick intended that or not...and rivaled the Grand Marquis for the most ancient average age. The Lucerne and previous Lacrosse really did not improve on that much. However, the article you cite is old and doesn't take into account who is really buying the Regal (or the Enclave or newest Lacrosse for that matter) now. Most blue hairs will have little interest in the Regal. After all, there is still the DTS, leftover Mercury GMs, the Avalon, the Impala, and so on.
    Thank you Kirstie.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    From the C&D comparo of the CXL turbo:

".....It's as if Buick is experimenting with sports sedanhood, treading a little fearfully. Too bad, because all the right parts are present and accounted for. They merely require more massaging."

Now, while the car finished 3rd of 3, it was barely nudged out by the V6 Acura. I too, agree that GM has been a little conservative with the intros of new Buicks. I think I would have stuck with just the 2.0 turbo for the base, the GS motor for the next level, and used that 2.8 V6 or the Camaro's 312 hp 3.6 for the GS. The car's weight seems to demand it. But, if it's anything like my Lacrosse, the body must be rock solid, and worth the extra 300 lbs.

I personally don't believe, unlike other haters around here, that the car has to be perfectly superior in every way shape and form to be sucessful. It already has the basics to be sucessful, as well as appealing to an older crowd as well. I believe as they get feedback from consumers, they will quickly improve the cars. Look at the Lacrosse for 2012. ALL 4 cyl models are getting an inhanced belt/alt/starter system called e assist, and the base price moves up to about $30 grand. This should not only add value to the Lacrosse, but add value to the base Regal, as it no longer "competes" for sales in the mid to upper $20K range.
  • Does anyone know when the Turbo will be in dealers showroom?
    I haven't seen one myself yet, but I'm told that some dealers have already received them.

• jpp5862jpp5862 DenverPosts: 1,089
    I've only seen one non-turbo Regal on the road so far and that was a rental. I travel all over the country for work and keep looking but just haven't seen any yet.

When I first saw the Regal at the 2009 Chicago Auto Show I liked it, but it doesn't seem to be getting much attention in the market. I'm not a Hyundai fan but I see Sonatas everywhere. Not saying they're a better car, but they have a significant presence over the Regal.
    Of course they have more presence. Again, the Sonata is significantly less expensive, and is designed to be a higher volume car. The base Sonata looks very much like the fully loaded Sonata that comes up to the lower end of the Regal's price range.

The Regal is being rolled out slowly, and production will be shifted to North America. In the meantime, there is not much incentive for Buick to push tons of them out the door. That would be old GM think. New thinking is it is better to make a profit on lower volume, especially in the near-luxury market. The Hyundai, as good as it is, is not trying to be a TSX/A4/Lexus IS/Saab 93/Volvo S60/Infiniti G 2.5, etc., or a Buick.
  • The Turbo Regal should be on dealer lots by the end of the year. We're about 4 weeks away. It will be the first quarter of 2011 before you see much availability though.
  • The new strategy for Lacrosse helps regal a lot. Many people were concerned about price overlap between the two cars but that will be addressed next year. Lacrosse base price will be around $30k while Regal will start lower than the 2011 due to addition of lower model. That should leave 5 grand between base Regal and base Lacrosse which will help both cars. Plus, giving the Lacrosse exclusive tech will differentiate it more from I4 powered Regal.
  • Hyundai is a lower end, volume brand. Sonata starts at $20k and Hyundai sells more sonatas than Buick (or Acura) sell models in a month. The two cars are NOT direct competitors regardless of what internet experts claim.

I have seen between 7-10 Regals so far in Philly. Saw a rental last week. Its a low volume car for now, but thats not surprising considering it doesnt have a V6 and launched with ONE engine.

TSX sales were almost 2700 last month and Regal sales were close to 2000. Volume wise, the Regal is targeting TSX and CC, not Sonata.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,724
    Hello Everyone!

I know that we discussed the Regal and its slight weakness in engine acceleration in the base 4cyl model. I am willing to lease the car. I got a quote for $360, $0 down, $0 due at signing, That is even considering my $1750 or so negative equity! I apparently have about $5,000 in incentives!!

The 2011 Jetta is what I really want,but it leases for $380 a month. The reason I was looking at the Regal is because it is so good in incentives now and my dealer pointed me there. I am willing to look at a loaded Mazda 3 for about $350.
    $380 on an SE is a bit too much.

What would you do? The regal has everything I want!! Though, the engine is what I am afraid of. I already drive a weak 08 G6 4cyl. I know the Regal engine is a bit revamped and I'm sure its an improvement, but not near as fun as the Jetta or Mazda3 which like to rev and drive!

Other than this, I really like the Regal! and I am 26. So Buick did a good thing!

Thanks so much everyone! I really need to bite the bullet and make a decision!
  • ddeliseddelise Posts: 351
    Which package does this car have and what is the MSRP?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,724
    I believe the Regal had the sunroof added. Thats it. So nearly $28k.
    The Jetta was about $21k and its payment was higher!!
    The Mazda 3 loaded was about $350 or so.

So if I leased the Regal then I would be sacrificing the engine for the features it has. I really want a fun and fun driving car this time.
  • ddeliseddelise Posts: 351
    I too am looking at the Regal, and have a bunch of money I can apply to the lease.

There is the $2500 lease incentive, plus a $1000 Conquest Rebate I qualify for, plus another $1000 rebate from Ally Financial for coming from an Ally lease, plus $1000 GM card money, plus $500 GM Card Bonus Money!

The problem is I want the Turbo, and it is not out yet.

For your situation, the only other car I would suggest looking at is the Maxima. They are selling significantly under MSRP, and the lease program (at least last month, have not seen this month), is very good. So a base SV would lease just about the same as the Regal.

Do you know, or can you ask, what is the residual value for your lease, and how many miles year/months are you looking? I'm trying to verify CAR_MAN's residual numbers.

Thanks!