Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Buick Regal

Comments

• Options
    metrospmetrosp Member Posts: 10
    I also had a vibration noise on my brand new 2011 Regal -- it was from the trunk area and at first it did sound like the license plate, but it turned out that the left rear taillight needed a bolt replaced. Open the trunk and tap on the taillights and see if they make a noise - you might need the same bolt replacement. Ever since the bolt has been replaced the car has been noise and rattle free.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    edited November 2010
    The one I test-drove had the black interior and I found it awfully dark -- aside from the odd bit of silver aluminum trim everything was black, even the wood accents, which weren't wood at all but rather "piano black", which looked to me like shiny black plastic.

I later sat in one with the cashmere interior and found it a lot better. If they had one with titanium or oyster interior trim, it would really appeal to me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    piano black trim is basically black plastic in any car. Its supposed to look like shiny black wood- hence the name. The black interior is very dark but thats the case for most European cars with dark interiors. I like the lighter interior better but I wasnt willing to keep cleaning the seats everytime something rubbed off on them.
  • Options
    dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    I dont mind black but I wouldn't say I prefer it. The Regal black did look a bit overwhelming from the outside, cant say how it appears sitting in it. I did sit in the cashmere/tan/brown interior and didnt much like it as I said so of the two I'd probably lean black.

Maybe if they didnt do brown along with the tan I'd like that better. Quality of the materials was very good though by my eye.
  • Options
    im not a fan of fake wood and I'm unsure if the Regal with cashmere interior has real or fake wood. I think its fake. The cabin isnt as dark and somber with the light interior but I do appreciate the lack of wood in the black interior.
  • Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    When I was at SF auto show yesterday I found Hyudai Sonata and Regal to be very similar cars in many aspects. They have similar quality interiors, similar engines and similar size inside and out. Evidently Regal must handle better than Sonata, since Sonata is a Korean car and Camry wannabe, while Regal is a German car. But on the other hand Sonata has better engines of the same displacement, at least on paper and is lighter and more powerful. Sonata interior has more interesting design and Buicks is more traditional, but both essentially similar quality, even though I liked Sonata's more. Exterior design - Buick looks terrific from front, Sonata is kind of weird and with too much chrome. Sonata's design is more interesting while Regal's cleaner but more traditional. Regal looks also taller and longer outside and wider inside, while Sonata feels like your head will touch roof and kind of claustrophobic but from outside it looks lower and therefore sportier. Hyudai has an issue though - it sounds cheap - if I tell my wife I want to buy Hyudai - she will laugh at me. Buick on the other hand sounds like a luxury brand. On the other hand almost all cars Hyudai makes now moved into luxury territory - if they introduced premium brand like Genesis e.g. it would easier to justify buying Sonata. So what do you think - is actual competition for Buick is Hyudai? In fact Buick does not compete very well because Hyudai makes luxury RWD cars and Buick is more conventional VW/Acura wannabe premium brand. Did anyone test drive and compare Sonata and Regal?
  • Options
    IMO there is no comparison. Buick is a premium car. Hyundais are built to a price. You get what you pay for.

• Options
    With Hyundai, you get more car for your dollar. This is their plan and it is going very well. Recall that Lexus undercut the competition by a whole lot when they were first marketed and now they can charge MORE than the competition and get it. Hyundai started out as a bare bones economy brand with spotty quality. Nowadays, like VW did some years ago, they are moving into better quality offerings with amenities normally only offered on luxury or near luxury models.

Recall too that GM practically ruined Buick's "luxury" reputation in recent years, and are only turning that around now in the US (in China where they make the most money on them, and their reputation is intact, GM has invested a lot more in Buick models).

Thus, in many ways right now, the Sonata and Regal are quite comparable--except for price. The Regal of course in built in Europe at much higher prices for labor and materials (and exchange rate). The 2011 Optima is even more comparable, having more tasteful styling than the Sonata, and even more luxury equipment for the money.

Watch Hyundai. The Genesis is quality and increasing sales month to month as the word gets out. The Equus compares favorably with cars costing $20K more. The 2012 Azera will be all new and about the same price range as the Regal, even while offering more power, luxury, quiet and room. You might want to wait a few months and compare.

That said, Buick is finally on a roll again. However, it is cut-throat out there, and companies like Hyundai mean business as they gobble up market share with real quality and value.
  • Options
    Hyundai is also premium brand approaching luxury segment. I would suggest to change brand name to name that better resonates with luxury. AFAIK their mainstream brand is Kia and Kia Optima is budget version of Sonata, which I do not like since it feels cheap - similar as Regal relates to the next Chevy Malibu.

So what justifies premium price for Buick? Lexus ES and Lincoln MKZ are even more expensive than Regal, but they have proven quality and reliability and have expensive V6 engines and of course better interior materials. Audi A4 even though comes with similar 2.0T, but it is true high quality and better engineered luxury car, even though I consider it to be overpriced. I would not even consider Acura, but it also has V6 and has proven reliability. Other option is Infiniti G Journey, similar price but RWD and 2.5L engine and it makes me seriously think about it. Mercedes, BMW and Cadillac are too expensive to compare with these cars.
  • Options
    I have read comments elsewhere about Hyundai undertaking a below-the-radar campaign to build their image by using paid agents posting boastful claims on internet automotive message boards. It does make one wonder when I read stuff like this.

• Options
    bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    Well ... I can't speak for other posters, but I am a genuine Hyundai owner, and our car has been terrific.

We own a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The car has been a pleasant surprise in every way.

IMHO, I personally don't see anything in those other posts that isn't borne out by the press or the experience of other Hyundai owners.

All that said ... I have test driven both the Regal and the Sonata, and prefer the Regal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2010
    Yes, conspiracy theories are epidemic. Meanwhile, I am a guy who even thought I like the Regal, I wish it had an engine more like the A4...a 2.0 liter that has 211 hp and 258 torque and can turn in 0 - 60 times of 6.5 even with the added weight of AWD, The VW CC, the A4, the Sonata and the Optima have all gone for greater content with lighter weight than the competition. Meanwhile, Ford's 2.0 liter 247 hp engine will be offered in several models soon. I could live with the Buick's engine if they could at least approach the 200 hp Hyundai 2.4 liter mpg: 22/35.

BTW, I wouldn't suggest anyone comment on the Kia Optima until they see the 2011 model. One could put a Jaguar label on the body design if a person did not know what it was, and lots of people would be fooled. Plus, for less than $30K, you can get 274 hp, 34 mpg, dual zone climate control, heated leather seats front and back, cooled front seats, UVO, heated steering wheel, nav, back up camera, push button start... It won't have the prestige of a BMW or Audi, but then neither will the Regal.

I am still looking at an A4. I want AWD without a lot of mpg loss for having it.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am also looking closely at the Regal. However, the fact that they use the similar engine as my 08 G6 4cyl is what has been going "No!" Only difference, its a bit revamped, 6 speed auto. It does run much better. But, certainly not torquey like the Jetta SE or Mazda3.

It is a beautiful car, however, the engine needs help. Only reason I am looking at the Regal is that I am getting $5,000 worth of incentives and it has 40% german make.
    With that said. Very Nice car!!

I am just scared to pull the trigger on it.
  • Options
    Engines are something that GM cannot figure out. While everybody switched to DOHC engines in 90s, even Chrysler, GM still was investing billion of $$ into ancient OHV designs and coming out with such a BS like "high content" - "low content" engines. And then they still cannot make modern V8 for Cadillac, how it is supposed to compete with MB and BMW? It seems that Hyundai is more advanced in engine designs than GM. Well, if you cannot offer competitive I4 engines - what about putting V6 into Regal? Opel does it in Germany despite they have steep taxes for high displacement engines.
  • Options
    I find it odd that people seem to think the sonata is the only competitor for regal worth talking about. Why isnt the Sonata compared to the ES350, TL, TSX or CC? Everywhere you look on the internet people are down on the Regal primarily because its not a Sonata. I totally disagree about the interiors being comparable. They LOOK comparable but in person they are not. The Sonata doesnt raise the bar on interior quality, its average. Nothing wrong with that but it cannot challenge CC or Regal in terms of quality.
  • Options
    Totally incorrect on all fronts. First of all GM has spread direct injection across more models than virtually any competitor. Only VW and Hyundai also use DI in lower end vehicles. Toyota, Honda and Nissan do not use DI in their non luxury vehicles. Infiniti doesn't use it in any of their vehicles.

As for OHV, Chrysler still uses OHV engines- the HEMI is OHV. GM is sticking with OHV V8s as well but OHV V6s have been phased out except for the 3.9L in the Impala.

There is nothing wrong with the 2.4L in the Regal- the car is just heavy. Put the 2.4L in a 3300lb car like the Sonata and it would be fine. That said, 0-60 for the regal i 8.7 secs which is very close to other similarly sized sedans that weigh far less. The Kizashi auto was clocked at 9.1 secs by Edmunds and its considerably lighter than the regal.
  • Options
    There is a lot of mythology out there since Hyundai is doing well. The Genesis has NOT sold well, period. Hyundai's success is based on Sonata, Elantra and Tuscon primarily. They sell less than 3k Genesis models a month and that includes the coupe which starts at $20k or so. Hyundai has VERY mild expectations for the Equus which should tell you something about how they feel the market will accept the car.

Bottom line, most people looking at a Buick arent looking at a Hyundai. Hyundai is a fierce competitor in the low $20k range but Buicks start at $27k. The value equation at Hyundai cannot be beat but if people only cared about that Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. wouldnt sell a single car.
  • Options
    1. Materials in LExus and Lincoln models are not better than Regal. Sit in all of them and compare
    2. You can get a V6 in a car far cheaper than ES350 or MKZ
    3. How did you determine the A4 was better engineered than the Regal? I would love to know.
    4. Regal cant have proven reliability since its brand new but Buick has done well in recent quality surveys. Buick isnt a low quality brand. I've had no issues in 4400 miles.
    5. G25 is woefully underpowered compared to the Regal turbo (in term of torque) and it cannot be optioned up with luxury features. Its a stripper model with limited appeal.
  • Options
    Ford hasnt announced the 2L turbo for any cars outside of the 2012 Focus ST which is hardly a regal competitor. My guess is you wont see a turbo in the Fusion until it gets redesigned in 2 years. As for the Optima, I notice no one has mentioned its performance in MT- its only .1 sec faster than the Regal turbo in spite of having 274hp. WHy is that? I have no idea but it suggests the transmission was modified to achieve better mileage than the Sonata turbo. a loaded Optima is over $31k which is hardly cheap. It does have some features not found on the regal but you can get a nicely equipped Turbo for about $32k with MOST of the features on the Optima. Its not like the Kia is $5k cheaper with the same options.

I am not that impressed by the styling of the Kia, sorry. I dont see why everyone is so hype. The 6 and CC and regal look better to me.
  • Options
    the 2008 G6 didnt have Di and made less hp and torque. The regal is about as fast as that car in spite of weighing 200lbs more. The Malibu with 6 speed has been clocked at 8.6 secs to 60 while regal has been timed at 8.7-9.1 secs to 60. The Buick is much heavier and has a nicer interior with more features and better handling. the Jetta has 177lb-ft of torque which isnt much more than the Buick but its a MUCH lighter car. Jetta does 0-60 in 8.2-8.4 secs which isnt much faster considering its 500lbs less than the Buick. Obviously the Buick has more features and a nicer interior.

If you can get 5k off this car that is a steal.
  • Options
    How DI helps 2.4L engine in Buick if both Sonata and G25 make considerably more power from similar size non-turbo engines. G25 has approximately same weight as Buick but its base 2.5L non-turbo V6 is capable of moving it according to reviews, not fast but not as bad as Regal. Sonata is light and fast.

Regal is made in Germany by Opel - thats why I have concern about reliability. German cars have not proven to be reliable and are expensive to fix. In Europe in may be not a concern because Europeans do not drive much and do not depend on cars for living.

Lexus ES has powerful V6 engine how can you compare it to Regal? It competes with LaCrosse instead. So Sonata is the perfect match. And do not make mistake about Koreans capable to beat competition again and again - even Japanese. In Germany they are more popular than Japanese - Hyundai sells more car in Europe than Toyota.
  • Options
    For a second there, I thought you were going to get critical. :P Wow, overbrook, it is really fun to push your buttons. And you have so many of them! (Like you, I want to punch me now.)

Why do I think the CC or the A4 (or even the Regal) is worth the asking price? I don't think the answer is that the quality of build and content is dollar for dollar that much better than a good quality non-"near luxury" midsize like the Camry. Companies no longer keep their best options only for their luxury cars. However, there continue to be details in near luxury cars that are just better. There is the name and the reputation. If there wasn't a bit of snobbery with some makes, they wouldn't sell nearly as well.

I can load an Optima up to maybe as high as $30K if I add everything possible. I can get the price even higher by adding aftermarket stuff. You can get an A4 or Regal for that price, but they would be missing most of the toys the loaded Optima has. To get either one with upgraded engines and loaded with all the toys, you are at least into the mid-40 thousands. But if you spring for the Infiniti or Audi (or strippo BMW) you will get $10K more "attention" than you will ever get with the Optima.

OK, I'm shallow. I'm feeling it. No matter how good the Camry/Accord/Fusion/Malibu, there will end up being way too many of them on the road to keep that "special ride" status they might initially have at introduction. At the same time, I am old enough to realize that on any given day, that loaded Altima, etc. will meet my needs very well too.
  • Options
    First of all, I'm not comparing a $27k Regal to a $35k ES350. I think its pretty clear the ES is too expensive to directly compare to the Regal. I dont know much about Opel quality but I doubt its any worse than BMW or MB quality and people pay a premium to own those brands. In England, Vauxhall models (including Insignia) come with a lifetime warranty that lasts up to 100k miles as long as you drive at least 8k miles a year. That sounds like a strong statement on quality- in fact thats a better warranty than Hyundai offers here in the US. Buick offersw 4 year bumper to bumper and 5 year powertrain warranty which is pretty strong coverage. Most luxury brands offer a 4 year full warranty but some (like BMW) offer the same coverage on powertrain unlike Buick.

The Sonata is just ONE car that can be compared to Regal. It is not the ONLY car that can be compared. You could compare CC, TSX, Camry XLE and a host of other cars. Why do people ignore all of those cars? Likely because the Regal looks pretty good compared to them, especially in terms of value. The Sonata is considerably cheaper than those cars and thus its the only competitor folks want to talk about. Let's not forget a base TSX starts at $30k and has less equipment than a $27k Sonata Limited.

I know about Hyundai's position in Europe- Japanese cars have never been able to penetrate Europe as they have the US. Toyota's share in Europe is about half of what it is in the US. Opel and Ford are bigger in Europe than Toyota.
  • Options
    You cannot equip a Regal into the mid $40k range. A loaded Regal is $35k vs $31k for the Optima. For about $32k you can get a regal with HIDs, turbo, 19" wheels and the IDC system. Sure you are missing heated rear seats and push buttons start, but not much else vs the Kia. Like I said, a well equipped Optima turbo isnt much cheaper than the Regal. Obviosuly an A4 is much more expensive and you would likely spend $7k-$10k more to equip an A4 like a loaded Optima.
  • Options
    Passat CC is problem prone, I know VW is cutting cost where customer cannot see it and their cars are breaking down easily and are expensive to fix. So I do not even consider VW. Acura is ugly - enough said. G25 is very similar to Regal turbo both in weight and power. It is smaller than Regal, not particularly pretty and does not have navigation system and premium audio available but it has RWD and 2.5 is not turbo, so there is trade off. MKZ is not a serious competitor to any luxury car because it has too much in common with Fusion - I cannot see Ford be able to sell it without serious discounts.

So I would say than main competition are Sonata, Infiniti G25, VW Passat CC, Acura TSX and may be Audi A4. Lexus is competing with LaCrosse.
  • Options
    Passat CC is problem prone, I know VW is cutting cost where customer cannot see it and their cars are breaking down easily and are expensive to fix. So I do not even consider VW. Acura is ugly - enough said. G25 is very similar to Regal turbo both in weight and power. It is smaller than Regal, not particularly pretty and does not have navigation system and premium audio available but it has RWD and 2.5 is not turbo, so there is trade off. MKZ is not a serious competitor to any luxury car because it has too much in common with Fusion - I cannot see Ford be able to sell it without serious discounts.

So I would say than main competition are Sonata, Infiniti G25, VW Passat CC, Acura TSX and may be Audi A4. Lexus is competing with LaCrosse.
  • Options
    Agreed. And is the A4 worth it? That is up to me, the buyer, I guess.

However, when the Regal GS is available, it will not sell for $35K loaded, and it is the GS that will be much more comparable, equipment-wise, with the Optima SX (which you can land now for less than $30K).
  • Options
    Your VW assessment is only partially true. VW is NOT doing any cost cutting on cars such as the Golf, the Passat (which will no longer be available here), the CC, the Tiguan, and the Tuareg.

The Jetta has recently been downgraded to appeal to a wider audience of Americans who do not appreciate the little niceties that the formerly higher price netted them. They will be introducing a similarly "cheapened" mid-size car to replace the Passat in the USA only. Meanwhile, the Golf in recent years is already top-rated on quality (the TDI version always was), and the CC, contrary to your contention, is not far behind the Golf on quality in its 2010 and 2011 guises.
  • Options
    I agree for the most part but I dont get why so many single out the sonata as a competitor. Why not Camry or Malibu or Accord? The sonata starts at $20k while the Regal starts at $27k. While a limited sonata is close to the price of the Regal the bottom line is most folks looking at Regal arent looking for a $20k car. While such a car would service their needs, they are looking to spend more for what they feel is a more prestigious or luxurious brand. I think the overlap between Sonata and Regal is vastly overblown. Most people buying a sonata are looking for something in the low $20k range and want the best deal available. Regal is hardly the best bargain amongst midsize sedans.
  • Options
    Aside from push button start and more power and larger wheels the GS is equipped like the turbo. On top of that the changes like push button start and LED turn signals in the mirrors will be 2012 MY changes for the Regal. Not sure if push button start will be standard but expect it on turbo as well. The optima excels at having luxury features not expected in a car in that class and the GS doesnt really add much in the way of luxury features. Like the turbo it has dual 12 say leather heated seats, H/K stereo, nav with HD, HIDs, large wheels, etc. Expect remote start to be added in 2012 across the board as well. In 2012 the Regal will be even better equipped but for 2011 the turbo has almost every feature found on the Optima plus 19" wheels, a selectable suspension, Onstar, music HD, 12 way passenger seat, etc.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Hyundai is not currently a premium automotive brand (overall) by any definition I can find anywhere. I would hasten to add that, generally speaking, I am not including the Genesis models in this broad brush statement. However, even the Genesis, TODAY, is probably better said to be a "near or entry-level Premium car."

None of this is intended to damn (with or without faint praise) the brand name -- we are not yet at the point where Hyundai would likely be classified as premium.

These comments don't suggest that the bang for the buck isn't there or that the features and content often ascribed to the upper crust are lacking. Simply put, Hyundai, today, is not seen, overall, as a Premium or Lux or Lux Sport producer.

There is momentum, inertia and a growing perception about Hyundai that suggests the possibility of it making it into the upper class -- that much seems certain.

Perhaps, money permitting, they could've moved forward a bit faster if the Genesis brand had been somehow made into a stand alone brand.

Makes me wonder if Genesis has the momentum to become Hyundai's Lexus?

Buick, it seems to me, slipped from the Premium class years ago [at least in the US, thank you very much GM] and has recently finally started to show signs of life -- and the potential to return to the Premium class.

Hyundai and Buick are probably not thought of in the same breath when cross-shopped -- at least not yet. :shades:
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Makes me wonder if Genesis has the momentum to become Hyundai's Lexus?

The Equus is Hyundai's top-of-the-line luxury vehicle, though the Genesis might be a premium model. Probably Hyundai should have marketed the Genesis and Equus under a new brand like Nissan and Toyota created.

Buick, it seems to me, slipped from the Premium class years ago [at least in the US, thank you very much GM] and has recently finally started to show signs of life -- and the potential to return to the Premium class

I don't think we're going to be seeing James Bond driving a Buick or Opel anytime soon. :D I know one person who bought a new Lacrosse when they retired, but they now work the register at Walmart. The rest of the Buick owners I see are driving some clunker Centuries, or a Roadmaster wagon. It's not pretty. About the only Buick I'd consider is that SUV but it's priced about $10K too high for what I think it's worth.

As far as this turbo regal goes, I don't understand how GM gives it such a weak engine. I have a Mazdaspeed6 designed in the early 2000's as it was made from 2005-07, and it has a 2.3L DI 274hp engine. If GM made no improvements at all in that decade, they should have at least copied that design. So this Regal turbo does nothing but confirm how far behind GM can be on certain models. Oh, and where's the AWD?
  • Options
    Not every potential car buyer is closed minded and committed to believing in stereotypes of Buick owners. The Lacrosse and Enclave are VERY popular and most drivers seem to be in their 40s or 50s in my area. Contrary to your claims, there are plenty of middle class folks who drive Buicks who are well under retirement age. In this area older Buicks are often driven by younger people, not seniors.

If you think the Enclave is $10k overpriced I would say your view of Buick arent tethered to reality or its current market position. Th Enclave has been a sales success almost since launch in 2008.

The Regal turbo is 2L while the mazdaspeed6 was a 2.3L- both engines are direct injected. The Mazda had AWD and more displacement which made it a faster car. It was also pricey and low volume. You cannot simply equate hp with how advanced an engine may be. The Impala SS made 303hp but that doesnt mean its engine was more advanced than the Regal's or the Mazda's.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    it isn't just my opinion or observation that Buick's are driven by seniors; I got my information from U.S. statistics in articles I've read in the national press. I'm not sure where you live, but maybe there's a reason - like a good Buick dealer, that accounts for your areas difference. I don't know.

But if you review the statistics of car sales, national sales are down, Buick has a very small market share (5%?), and the number of 40 year olds or younger who have $30K or more to plunk down on a Buick is very small.

And I agree with you about the engines, understanding that the Impala had a relatively large engine to make that power. My comment is that the Regal on a PER LITER basis does not produce the same power PER LITER as an engine design from a decade ago. Shouldn't GM have made some advances in a decade? Mitsubishi has been getting 290+hp from a 2.0L turbo engine for several years now. BTW my Mazdaspeed6 was not pricey - MSRP with that engine, AWD, limited slip, Bose stereo, was a little over $28K delivered.

As an owner of a sports sedan, regardless of what brand was put on the Regal, I would not consider the Regal turbo at what price I believe it is going to come in at. A Subaru Legacy GT would be a much better value too.

But just so you don't jump all over this, I'm not saying the Buick Regal is garbage, or awful. What I'm saying is that Buick and GM in general have ridiculous pricing for the way the economy is, and relative to what you get from other vehicle manufacturers. They are running their business models with the same strategy that brought them from 50% market-share to bankruptcy. Buick should be offering the same performance and equipment as the competition but at a lower price-point to generate some sails, and shake off the general GM-negativity that the majority of the country has.

I'll eat my words and apologize to you and everyone else here, if the Regal is the type of hit that GM needs. When the Regal beats the Accord or Camry or even makes the Top 10 of vehicles sold next year, I will be astounded. GM needs homeruns, not singles - vehicles that sell 50K units/year (out of a possible 200 million potential buyers in this country).
  • Options
    cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    "....I'll eat my words and apologize to you and everyone else here, if the Regal is the type of hit that GM needs. When the Regal beats the Accord or Camry or even makes the Top 10 of vehicles sold next year"

Well, don't worry about that. It'll never happen. at $26K and up, the Regal isn't priced to sell in the top 20, let alone the top 10. What they are trying to price it for is in the range of the TSX or the IS 250, or the Volvo S40. None of which sell 2 or 300,000 cars.
  • Options
    Really, those kind of idiotic and immature comments are typical of what was being discussed earlier in regard to insecure Hyundai owners attempting to pump up the image of that brand by dissing others. Not everyone is shopping at WalMart despite the economy, and not everyone is buying a WalMart brand like Hyundai either. I am happy to say I have a 6 figure income and drive a newish Buick by choice. I am proud to support a North American manufacturer.

Of course, at least the old Centuries and Roadmasters you refer to are still running. Hyundais of that vintage are true disposable cars and are unrepairable -- just like the stuff one buys at WalMart.

Back to you.

• Options
    You have a 6 figure income? You are not insecure? You have a newish Buick? Congratulations.

Now, check out what Warren Buffett drives. Idiotic and immature is as idiotic and immature does. Be nice. It is entirely possible to pump up the image of a brand that has made great strides (Ford is another example) without dissing others. Like Warren, we all have different tastes and priorities. Hyundai, like it or not, is on a roll. Buick is on one as well--especially in China. That is what saved the brand from being in the Oldsmobile/Pontiac/Saturn/Hummer/Saab wastebasket, when GM was up against the wall. Have a nice day.
  • Options
    ".....It is entirely possible to pump up the image of a brand that has made great strides (Ford is another example) without dissing others. "

It is. However, there has been a lot of "hating" on the new Regal in here because "The Sonata this....." or "The Audi that...."

Yes, Hyundai, Ford and Buick are on a roll. They are because, even if their entries aren't class leading, they are causing people to stop and say "WOW!!!! Now that's more like it" Even the 2 people here who now put the Regal off their list because of the AWD issue were CONSIDERING it. THAT in of itself is an accomplishment (I would still say they should test drive it though. W/the HiPerStrut, torque steer shouldn't be an issue). Provided the Regal and the other new entries satisfy (and continue to do so) their new owners, they will stay on a roll too.
  • Options
    Well your North American manufacturer is still there because of about $75B in total loans, grants, and incentives of the last 2 years, most of which will never be repaid. So I don't know what you're proud of. GM also does most of its business overseas these days, and that is where their future is.

Enjoy your Buicks now, for the U.S. government will have to bailout GM again in a few years, as they are still running their business the same old way that it failed. But if the government doesn't step-in next time, allowing a normal business environment, goodbye GM.

GM will fail unless they produce SUPERIOR vehicles, at a smae or LOWER price. Almost exclusively throughout the GM lineup this is NOT, NOT the case. Anyone not working for GM or in-love with GM, or rah-rah patriotism; will tell you this.
  • Options
    This sure is a hot headed bunch on this thread. Makes for interesting, even entertaining, reading.

Reminds me of our Alice in Wonderland political landscape with everyone taking various corners, and digging in their heels about relatively trivial matters (like the easy to attack stimulus package), while the truly big ticket items dragging us to the bottom are ignored by all sides.

I guess Buick making a couple of remarkably good cars, after a long period of catering largely to blue hairs, is much easier fodder for debate than grappling with the idea that no one at all seems to have a clue how we as a nation can agree on a plan that will cut entitlements for everyone, close loopholes and eliminate popular deductions, and eliminate essential programs and millions of jobs in a last ditch attempt to prevent a Greece-Ireland-Spain-Portugal, etc. type implosion here. But I digress! :P
  • Options
    carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Here here!! Well, said! I'll raise a glass to that :)
  • Options
    Ah, now it comes out. You have a political/philosophical axe to grind. Take it elsewhere, please. This is a discussion about the Regal, not politics. We don't need you or your like-minded types posting false statements about the relative qualities of vehicles from 2 different political points of view. And you naivete about the involvement of the Korean government in the affairs of Hyundai over the years is also quite troubling. In any event, please go away and find yourself a political forum.

• Options
    I'll be enjoying my Buicks now, and for a VERY GOOD LONG TIME!!!!!! GM will not fail again unless they produce shoddy automobiles, the likes of the old Hundee Excel.

While I do have disappointment that the Regal is not class leading, it HAS gotten some very good reviews. My feeling is that GM has been too conservative the last 18 months in how they are rolling out new products.

According to a new report released by the Center for Automotive Research, 1.14 million jobs were saved by the bailout, thus allowing $28.6 billion to be paid in SSI and income taxes, not to mention the savings in unemployment payments and retraining grants NOT paid out. According to their study, they would only need to recoup $38 billion for a theoretical break even point.
  • Options
    The Center for Automotive Research is on many car manufacturer's payrolls! They are extremely biased. Want an example? Did their analysis consider the tax effect, of all the losses to all the stockholders, bondholders, the pension guaranty fund, and all the suppliers who didn't get their invoices paid? No? Huh, I wonder why? Maybe they have former writers from Pravda.

GM will not fail again unless they produce shoddy automobiles,

So then you admit that GM made many shoddy vehicles that caused their failure. Let's see they failed from the time they had 50% market-share to 2008 (at least). What's that 30 years? Or weren't they shoddy, and GM just pays everyone too much, and charges too much for so-so vehicles, which to keep on topic is where I see the Regal and most Buicks and GM's.
  • Options
    And I'll raise a glass to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So do you think that the new GM has learned from the past few decades of having GMAC being their crutch as you mention making up for other mismanagement, UAW, and decent but not exciting or popular vehicles? You don't really need to answer here, but think about if GM has really made enough changes. I don't see it.

I don't see the Buick Regal as being particularly better or lower price than alternate vehicles. As such I don't really see them selling many after the initial "rush" at introduction during the first few months. The vehicle is made overseas in Germany right? based on an Opel? has a 4 cyl engine, which is not a sin ... but at nearly $30K for a typically equipped vehicle that's pushing a "sin". I honestly have to say that though it may be missing a few bells-and-whistles, the Subaru Legacy with AWD for the low $20K's would be a very good choice.

What do you think sales of the Regal are going to be? Can Buick and GM survive in a few years, if they are putting out vehicles that sell 50K/year? I think they need some cars that sell 300K/year. I think the new vehicle market for the masses of the middle class- where GM needs to be, is in the $15K - $25K range. Sure GM can sell some Cadillacs or Vettes at the higher prices, but GM should be looking to retool and make vehicles that match the way most in the U.S. economy are headed.
  • Options
    stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited December 2010
    I think they need some cars that sell 300K/year. I think the new vehicle market for the masses of the middle class- where GM needs to be, is in the $15K - $25K range.

Isn't that what the Cruze and Malibu and Silverado/Sierra and Equinox/Terrain are for? Don't they also need something aspirational (but less expensive than a $50k Vette or Caddy)?
  • Options
    Considering Buick is a semi premium brand and has 4 vehicles its not going to be a volume brand. Buick outsells Lincoln, Audi and Acura and Infiniti in spite of having a limited lineup. If you think all those sales (especially Lacrosse and Regal) are going to 70 year olds than I dont know what to tell you. The regal will NEVER be close to a top 10 seller. It costs too much and Buick isnt a volume brand like Chevy or Toyota. Buick is competing with Lincoln and Acura mostly. Niether of those brands has a product that is in the top 20 sellers, probably not even top 30.

The fact that Gm's incentive spending is way down over last year suggest its pricing is pretty competitive. Increasing incentives would signal overpricing or lack of demand.

The nature of your commentary suggests that you have a Buick problem and a GM problem so I'm not going to expect any objectivity from you. You dont provide any numbers to support your claims but you tell us Buicks are overpriced and not resonating with the market. I guess that explains why they have one of the largest sales increases of any brand in 2010.

Regal just had its best month so far and is less than 1000 units behind TSX and CC with only one engine and one transmission.
  • Options
    ah, so you are a bitter anti GM, anti bailout guy. First of all the bailout was $50B, not $75b and much of it has been paid back already. The US may not get 100% of its money back, it depends on how the stock performs but most will be returned.

BMW, VW, MB, mazda and many others sell more cars outside of the US than in the US. What is the relevance of that statement? The US is still GM's 2nd largest market and its critical to the companies long term success. While GM sells lots of vehicles in China and other parts of the world, many of those products are lower end and low margin. The US is critical to GM's profitability and they made far more money here last quarter than they did in Asia.

Your comments about GM needing another bailout are absurd and show you are clueless about the balance sheet of the New Gm.
  • Options
    what does any of this have to do with the Regal? If you hate the car and the company than go away- its that simple.

No one has argued that GM didnt make some subpar vehicles in the past- this forum is about a competitive vehicle on sale TODAY- the Regal. I dont get why people are so upset that GM makes competitive vehicles. GM haters have spent 20-30 years bashing the company and it pains them to see GM turn out nice vehicles currently. We cannot go back to the 80s no matter how much you want to. All of the American automakers have learned from the past and are not turning out top notch vehicles. I suggest you get over it and go back to whatever anti-government, anti- bailout site you normally visit.