Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S80

Comments

• Options
    billiam70billiam70 Member Posts: 54
    I recently moved cross country to Seattle from NJ. I had a 99 S80 2.9 that I've sold to my Aunt and Uncle. The car now has a little over 32,000 miles. Let me just say I still miss that car!

Yes, I had to have the stereo replaced (Dolby Surround system, awesome BTW) due to static when playing CD's, the recall done, 2 burnt headlight bulbs replaced, and a front brake job (which I too had the extra pedal travel afterwards). But that car still ran, and runs beautifully. It was so extremely comfortable, and quiet. My Aunt and Uncle took it on a trip to Virginia and loved every mile of the drive. They are just thrilled with the car and tell me all the time.

I had such a great experience with the car that I would definitely reccomend it to anyone interested. And I bought it in April of 99 (manufactured in 3/99).

Just my .02 for those of you wanting a positive experience with the car.
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    I was at the Volvo auction today...

The 99s are now well and truly coming off lease.

Deals to be had with used ones, I can say that!

Bill
  • Options
    ajuliusajulius Member Posts: 10
    I work for an independent used car dealership, and saw the really low prices for 2001 S80's for Volvo Dealers Only (Volvo Direct) with like 20k miles on Manheim. Also the 1999 S80's for the open sale were very low as well. Not bad at all. I am looking for a Volvo for myself. I drove a 87 740 Turbo before, and loved the turning radius and handling and the comfort. The market for used volvo's seems to be very soft, and Ive seen Volvo's going down the run list a few times before they are sold. I just have to decide if I want the S70 or S80 and which options and mileage and color I want.
  • Options
    I'm an Indepedent as well..

Central Florida AA's Volvo factory sale is now open excepting buybacks/lemon law cars and MSO cars which are restricted to Volvo dealers only.

I oughta know, I bought a TON there :)

Bill
  • Options
    efahnoeefahnoe Member Posts: 1
    I'm a newcomer to this club so forgive me if I provide more history than is customary. If I had visited this site earlier, I might have avoided the 7 significant faults or failures I've experienced in the 10 months, 10,000 miles since I purchased a new S80 2.9 by buying something more reliable. I've owned four other new Volvos since 1969 and never experienced faults like the following in any of them in over 400,000 miles total.

At 150 miles, the S80 transmission lockup had to be fixed by "loading new parameters". At 520 miles, the transmission shift lock solenoid and console had to be replaced to fix "reduced transmission function". At 2900 miles a door lock motor had to be replaced to correct failures with alarm system disarming (problem has recurred but I've learned to live with it). While city driving in Quebec, a very noticeable rear suspension knock developed at low speed on lumpy roads. Despite serious safety concerns, I was unable to get timely service in Quebec and had to drive home. At 4500 miles, the dealer found a loose rear shock bolt and pronounced the problem solved. The knocking recurred in 2 weeks but I let it go since it didn't appear safety was at issue. At 7500 mile service, the knocking was diagnosed as a faulty seat rail. The rail was ordered for later installation, a slow tire leak was addressed by replacing the tire valve and the keyfob remote was repaired. A problem with occasional transmission mis-shifting was reported at this time. The concern couldn't be verified by the dealer but mis-shifting still occurs. The seat rail was replaced two weeks ago, I haven't been able to verify that the low speed/lumpy road knocking is cured. Yesterday, "Engine System Service Required" led to replacement of the air mass flow sensor.

Needless to say this litany of quality failures in my S80 has destroyed my long held faith in Volvo quality and reliability. I bought my first Volvo after dumping a new Pontiac that had a similar list of problems within a year. I'm prepared to do so again with the S80 if reliability and quality failures are likely continue.

I would appreciate any opinions or observations Volvo Owners Club members can offer about what problems I might expect between 10,000 and 50, 000 miles on my 2001 S80 given my experince to date.

I would also like to know if the occasional (GM) transmission mis-shift I experience is 'normal' and acceptable or if something can or should be done about it. The problem is occasional but always occurs when accelerating from a light at about 30 MPH, letting off the gas to allow an unyielding right turn to merge and re-accelerating. The transmission mis-shifts on re-acceleration with a very noticeable clunk and hesitation. Once the transmission recovers its wits everything seems fine and no faults are reported. Any comments or recommendations?
  • Options
    volvoconvertvolvoconvert Member Posts: 3
    In reply to #806, I have a 2000 S80 2.9 with 32000 miles, and have had no problems other than a burned out headlamp. I'm very pleased with the car, my first Volvo. There are many others like me, who have an occasional minor problem---or none at all---and who have no reason to post a comment on their experience. I believe your problems represent the exception not the rule, but also realize that doesn't make the experience less frustrating for you. I hope these will turn out to have been growing pains and that the next 100K will be trouble-free!
    Volvoconvert
  • Options
    car76car76 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard when the 2002.5 S80 will be available and is there any significant price changes?
  • Options
    scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    No major problems at 36K miles. I change the oil every 5K, or so, miles. Had the front break pads replaced at 30K miles, and dealer told me I did not need it, but did anyway. Radio had a stuck CD (my fault, used a Nero Label on a home burned CD), one recall done to steering. That's it.. rest is fine and running well.

Scott
  • Options
    copyguycopyguy Member Posts: 4
    On 26th month of leasing a 2000 S80 t6. Looks great(Venetian Red) Is fast, but in the shop way too much, bulbs front and back burn out way too much(less than 27,000 miles) The bushing problem, the shock problem, don't like the way it handles compared to a 5 series BMW(had a 528i prior to the S80) however I knew that when I leased it. Great dealer in Baton Rouge, LA and svc. mgr is easy to work with and always provides a loaner w/o hassel and washes mine every time. As much as I've said this will be my 1st and last Volvo, I'm starting to rethink it as I have 9 mos. to go. Car is more comfortable and roomier than the 5 series, and I still love the way it throws you back in the seat from a fast start at a light...best of all is looking at the guy next to you when he catches up at the next light. You would need a 540 to go this fast and a lot more $$$$
  • Options
    griffman12griffman12 Member Posts: 18
    Hightlight Bulb Burn Out (S80)
    There is a fix for this problem. There appears be a recall for another volvo model that has the same problem.

My dealer made the wiring change that eliminates the power surge that burns out the head light bulb.

Also did after 50,000 miles

griffman
  • Options
    Transmission Oil Leak---S80 T6

Had a leak on the side of the trans facing the rear end. Up where noone can see where it was comming from. However, you could see it dripping of a quater inch dia plastic Bx cable.

Had to remove the transmission and replace a "O" seal.

No charge.

griffman
  • Options
    Belt Failures,

I keep climbing under my S-80,T-6 to look at this and at one point had it on the rack at the Volvo dealers looking at the vent pipe alledged to cause all these problems.

I dont think the vent pipe is doing it. My opinoin is that it is premature failure of the asscessary belt.

However to hedge my opinion I plan to cut off 4 inches of the vent tube and replace it with a rubber tube of the same length.

For all you young guys, this tube is for the crank case ventilation system that usto be on 1950 vintiage cars. Prior to PCV valve days

I have 53,000 miles on my 2000 S80 T6 Bought car ramps the first I ever owned in 65 years. Tell you something does it.

griffman
  • Options
    I keep seeing all theses postings and all these problems with these after 1999 Volvo cars. It is hard to believe unless I have been very lucky in the past. Aside from filters,oil,pcv valves and front brakes at about 35000 miles there should be no other costs. Yes that include tires. This is my first Volvo and the fourth of cars over $43,000. My other less expensive cars demostrate the same level of repair.

Griffman
  • Options
    jlfoxjlfox Member Posts: 14
    Griffman stated;
    For all you young guys, this tube is for the crank case ventilation system that usto be on 1950 vintiage cars. Prior to PCV valve days
    However;
    1. This tube vents the plastic box containing several control modules.

2. While the rubber tube fix is OK, the new models come with the tube flush so that it can't catch on a parking lot stop or on a curb. Mine got clipped off at the dealer's suggestion.
  • Options
    n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    Cutting the vent tube flush is not a "sure" fix, because the lower airflow cover is flexible and slanted (becomes closer to the ground as you pass over an obstruction). I can deflect it over !.5" with just one hand, and poor leverage, exposing a similar length of the vent. A concrete parking curb will have no trouble at all.

Of course, the vent could be cut even shorter, but it's function may be compromised. There must be some design reason for the original length.

The theory put forth by some Volvo service persons is that the vent tube becomes loose, comes into contact with the accessory belt, then is drawn into the moving (accessory) belt and pulleys. This results in it being demolished with shards of plastic projected with great force through the timing chain cover (which is just a soft material), and into the path of the timing belt.

Unfortunate drivers have been reporting a $3000 bill to repair the engine, which is an interference design.
  • Options
    dabaerdabaer Member Posts: 7
    My '99 S-80 has been a wonderful car to drive. I just passed the 110,000 mile mark and am looking to go another 100,000.
    Over the last 2 years I have replaced headlights on both sides and both beams twice. Rear break lights and rear turn signals three times each.

The transmission issue I have read in other posting about freezing up and unable to move for about three to four minutes is common for me in cold weather(glad I live in Virginia where it really does not get very cold!).

An engine mount broke at 80,000 miles. I replaced the drive chain or belt at 100,000 miles. First time for the dealership.

My big concern is the amount of oil I am going through! I have used mobil one synthetic oil from day one and progressively have seen the amount of oil I am adding to top off after the long driving sales trips leap to about a quart of oil at every 1000 miles! I change my oil religiously at 5000 miles and carry a trunk full of filters because the shop that changes the oil had difficulty getting them.

Back to the oil usage issue. I make jack rabbit starts and hard stops. My driving involves mostly long cruises two to three hours at a time of 60 MPH without a stop. The only evidence I can detect of where the oil is going is the emissions I see at night in the rear view mirror reflected from the lights of the cars behind me. And this is only present when I floor the accelerator in moving one of my jack rabbit starts or getting around some one in a hurry, ie. from about 50 to 65 I'll really 'floor it' and when I peak at the rear view I can see the smoke trail I just left behind. No oil in the drive or leaks of any kind. No smoky emissions in the initial morning start ups.

At this rate I am going through a lot of oil to top off before beginning trips. Gas mileage is about the same as when I purchased the car about 24 miles per gallon. The oil issue is a real concern in my long term plans to make this a 'long term' keeper. Any one have any ideas of what is going on? the dealer told me some oil 'burning' is normal but he is concerned about the amount I have been using lately. He offers no solution.
    Any ideas?
    dabaer
  • Options
    I have driven, when they were new, S90s and 960s as demos (4k miles in em).

They had the same motor....

They always used about a quart a thou IIRC...

Not to worry :)

Bill
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How in the world did you put 110k miles in a very short time?
  • Options
    I just saw a 2001 2.9 At the auction with 57K on it.

Bill
  • Options
    dabaerdabaer Member Posts: 7
    jrosasmc

I am a sales man who drives from charlottesville,
    va to dc and baltimore two to three times per week and to many other points in the state. a lot of butt time.
    but I have a comfortable and safe car to do it in.

and to brentwoodvolvo, thanks for the info.
    that is basically what my dealer said. but I am concerned it will get worse.

dabaer
  • Options
  • Options
    Nah..

Not to worry.

Typical European Inline-6 stuff.

You think the Volvo 2.9 is bad.. you shoulda seen the old BMW Big 6s!

To be brutally honest.. the car is worth lessthan you think with 110K on it. Run that puppy till the wheels fall off and enjoy it!

Bill
  • Options
    pbinkley1pbinkley1 Member Posts: 3
    Although I really like my 2000 2.9 S80 (23k miles), I've had a couple issues come up and not sure I can trust my dealership to fix them. I've had it into the shop a few times and they can't seem to fix them.(Topping Volvo in Fife, WA)

- My digital clock loses about 1 minute per month -- annoying but not fatal. After a few months, I have to set it ahead a few minutes to stay up.

- My climate control does not keep a steady tempurature, it varies. Sometimes I have to turn it up to 76-78-80 just to keep it 72. (I leave it on AC I'm told is the right thing) The weird thing is that it seems to work during the day in sunlight, but it's at it's worst in the evening when it is dark. I know this is weird, but true.

- On a cold start, during the first acceleration a few moments later, it has a pause which is recovers from and then is fine from then on.

- On bumpy roads, I'm hearing thumps coming from the front wheel areas. I'm not sure if this is related to the bushing issues I've read about, because I don't hear thumping when I turn corners, etc...only on bumping, washboard roads. Could they be the same issue? I don't think I've had these bushings replaced and not sure if I need to.

Other than these issues, I really like this car. If anyone else has experienced these same issues, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Also, if my dealership isn't able to fix these issues when I take my car in tomorrow, I'd like to get a recommendation for another Seattle area Volvo dealership that is more familiar with fixing these issues.
  • Options
    So a '96 Volvo 850 base sedan with 129k on it isn't worth much in terms of resale?
  • Options
    Define not worth much".

Car is worth, real money, about $4,500ish wholesale.

So $6,500ish retail...

Bill
  • Options
    schollersdrschollersdr Member Posts: 3
    S80 2.9 is more than 10K here,in China. I am thinking to get one. But A guy told me that 300M is much better, is it right?
  • Options
    fedakjfedakj Member Posts: 5
    I have my fourth Volvo, the S80T6. All the old cars, like the 940 turbo, the 960 and the S90, have been excellent vehicles. The S80T6 is a car that reflects the sour taste of having Volvo pay for itself at Ford.
    The car is nothing but problems, alarm, transmission, seals, cup holders, lights, sun roof, trim, paint. Brake lights that remain on after removing the keys, rough idle. This is at 13km's or 8500 miles. 10 months ownership results in 3 weeks shop time.
    Volvo Canada does not return calls, do not offer solutions and the only one thing they do is insult one. There is total lack of customer service at the company. Suggest to all who consider a new vehicle, look else where.
  • Options
    billiam70billiam70 Member Posts: 54
    I have to say I used to own a 99 S80 2.9 that I loved. I sold it to my Aunt and Uncle in October with 31,000 trouble free miles (I moved cross country). I bought the car new in April of 99 and never had issues with it. A couple of minor things, but nothing to complain about. I really enjoyed the car and they are loving it even more than I did I think.

And for what it's worth, the S80 is a pure Volvo developed product, it has nothing to do with Ford. The S80 was a done deal before Ford came into the picture. Although I don't doubt they'll mess something up, but let's hope not.

I was a very happy Vovlo S80 owner.
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    that's not to Volvo's credit then! Blaming Ford would at least explain the issues with the S80 - one of Volvo's least reliable new products...ever...at least based on all the comments that I've seen on various car sites, CR evaluations, etc. Wouldn't touch one with a 10 ft pole.....and I owned Volvos for almost 20 yrs!
  • Options
    mikshamiksha Member Posts: 3
    The Volvo S80 delivered the best results among cars tested by both government and insurance crash labs. According to an article in Better Homes and Gardens March 02 issue, the Volvo S80 received 5 stars on both side impact front, and side impact rear, and received "Best Pick" for offset crash.
  • Options
    t6tolert6toler Member Posts: 19
    Regarding your climate control issue, there is one quick thing you can do that might help some:
    Above the passenger temp knob is a slatted opening and that opening has a small fan and a temp sensor behind it. The fan draws air over the temp sensor. Over time small dust particles build up on the temp sensor wire and can affect its accuracy (shine a flashlight in there to see). Try using your household vacuum to suck out any dust that may have built up, or a can of compressed air used for cleaning small electronics will work. The problem though is that you should be having the same issue during the daylight hours, too. The discrepancy may be because when your car is in the sun the interior heats up a bit, even when it is cool outside, and so the car is already a little warm and the climate system is just maintaining the temp. At night the body and windows of the car are cooler and will draw heat from the interior. The heat being "drawn'" out is the same principle as sitting next to a closed window in the winter and feeling the cold "breeze". The system is supposed to compensate for that because it senses the incoming air temp, which is obviously lower at night, and also the sunlight sensor, incorporated with the red alarm light on the dash, is not sending a signal and that indicates it is cloudy out or night. So it is hard to say what is causing your trouble. Let me know what your dealer said about the problem.
  • Options
    alazrakialazraki Member Posts: 4
    I have been considering buying a used Volvo S80. I went to the dealership and they had a nice 2001 S80 T6 I took the test drive and as we are pulling into the dealership the car just dies...
    I salesman then asks What will it take to get you into this car? I asked him if he was kidding. He said the car has never done that on any occasion. I asked him if this was a common problem and he said NO. So if your in central Florida looking for a T6 I would be careful.
  • Options
    My 2000 S-80 T6 has 53,000 miles on it now. Since new I have used 10 W 30 oil in it. I change oil on average every 7500 miles. At change time it has never been more that a quater quart low. My gas mileage on the intersate at 70 miles per hour was over 28.5. Trips were about 400 miles long. Since my 30,000 mile tuneup I have a hard time breaking 28 mpg.

Regarding coments on my note on vent tube I will reserve comment until I get a manual.

Does anyone know where to get a oil filter wrench for the S80. Tried several parts stores and none fit. Been waiting 3 weeks for the dealer to get one--- now its 4 weeks more.

griffman12
  • Options
  • Options
    This topic is sometimes known as "tap a curb, destroy an engine".

I stopped at a nearby Volvo Dealer (not where I originally bought the car) last week to make a regular service appointment. I had taken several digital photos of the now-infamous ECU vent pipe/duct, and added labels identifying the point where it can contact the accessory belt. I showed them to the service rep, asking him if he had ever heard of engine damage associated with this part.

He immediately walked me over to a large window overlooking the service area. Directly ahead was a blue S80 with the cylinder head missing. "When that pipe loosens", he told me, "it takes out the cylinder head; this is the second one (brought to this dealership with a damaged engine) this month". He went on to say their mechanics have been cutting the duct all the way back to just below the washer fluid reservoir as cars come in for service. This fix will remove the entire section located in front of the belt, eliminating the danger. Why this is not a general recall item is beyond my comprehension. The fix probably takes no more than 60 seconds with a small hack saw.
  • Options
    sampatesampate Member Posts: 4
    My email with my problems is below and the corporate response is above it. What do you think, what should I do? I am very worried about this car being a lemon!
    ------------------------
    Reply to Original Message:
    ------------------------
    From: customerservice [mailto:customerservice@volvocars.com]
    Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 10:19 AM
    Subject: Re: URGENT: Problems with Recent Purchase

We are very sorry to learn of the difficulties you are having with your certified 1999 Volvo S80 and Volvo of Richardson. It is very upsetting
    to Volvo to hear when a Volvo customer does not have a satisfactory experience at one of our retailers. Their integrity and dependability
    as well as that of our organization is a factor in preserving owner loyalty and commitment to our product.

Volvo retailers operate independently of Volvo and while responsible for the quality and integrity of the services they provide, we do take such comments seriously.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share this incident with us and have forwarded your comments to the appropriate Volvo management for
    review as an internal matter to address any developmental needs on the part of the retailer.

Sincerely,
    John Willets
    Volvo Cars of North America
    ------------------------
    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    2-27-02,

Volvo of Richardson
    c/o Conrad Bongo, General Sales Manager, bongo5@airmail.net
    cc - customerservice@volvocars.com, info@vfna.com

I wanted to express my frustration and concerns with my recent purchase of a certified 1999 S80 2.9 Volvo from Volvo of Richardson. This vehicle was a Certified vehicle and has the corresponding certification inspection checklist sheet.

I have had the vehicle for less than 500 miles (purchased at 38,400 miles) and have had the following issues:

1) Plastic guard under front bumper was ripped out and hanging.
    2) Back tail-light had major scratch from top to bottom.
    3) The remotes were not working.
    4) Driver's floor mat is in bad condition (completely worn out).

All these items, expect item number 4 was taken care of before I closed on the sale. Since the sale, I have experienced the following problems:

1) Passenger-side mirror was loose and squeaking.
    2) Brake system was loosing air and needed a new brake booster (MAJOR MALFUNCTION).

I just got both of these items taken care of and now I am having problems with possibly the battery and/or alternator. I had to jump
    start the vehicle three times in the last week and half.

As you can see, for a certified vehicle which I have driven less than 500 miles, I am very upset that I have had all these problems. I have
    purchased two Certified Lexus vehicles in the past with no problems whatsoever!

What I am asking for is a verification that this vehicle did indeed go through the proper certification inspection. I know Lexus is very
    thorough in their certification process and I expected the same from Volvo. I have also never heard back if the sales manager will replace
    the driver's floor mat. My salesman did not have authority to replace it and need to raise it to the sales manager.
    Thus, I am requesting:

1) Verification that this vehicle did get the proper certification inspection.
    2) The driver's floor mat to be replaced.

I understand the used vehicles will have some issues, but I seem to have gotten a lemon based on the number of problems I had in the short
    number of miles I have driven it. In fact, I don't feel it is reliable for long-distances at this point. I do not expect these types of issues
    from a certified vehicle purchased from the dealer. Again, I need to get response ASP so I can take the appropriate next steps to protect my
    consumer rights.
    Regards,

------------------------
    ------------------------
    From Volvo website:
    "Not every Volvo gets to be a Certified Pre Owned Volvo. First of all, the mileage is stringently limited. Second, only model years 1998 through 2002 are eligible, so your Pre Owned Volvo is a recent, nearly new Volvo. Third, and perhaps most important, your Pre Owned Volvo must be in top physical condition, both pleasing to the eye and able to pass a full and detailed Volvo Certified Pre Owned 130-Point Inspection.

In short, your Certified Pre Owned Volvo has to be every bit a Volvo."

"Just thinking about the Volvo Certified Pre Owned 130-Point Inspection is enough to make some car manufacturers shudder. It's modeled after
    the report that has set the standard for the entire industry, IntelliChoiceTM, and provides you with a Volvo that is thoroughly inspected, with all maintenance performed within Volvo's demanding tolerances."
  • Options
    Thanks #835 for the tip on the oil filter wrench
  • Options
    neil2212neil2212 Member Posts: 16
    Sorry to hear of your problems - but I'm not surprised. Back in the Fall of 1999 when I was in the search for an S80, I was very close to buying from Volvo of Richardson. However, after my experiences with them, I vowed that I would NEVER set foot in their dealership again. I believe that the salesman and sales manager (at the time) were less than honest in their dealings with me. I ended up buying my car at Autobaun Motorcars in Ft. Worth - a very positive experience.

Regards,

Neil
  • Options
    sampatesampate Member Posts: 4
    Neil,

You make a good point, I wish I never had dealt with them either. In fact, I took my car to Point West Volvo in Irving. They said I needed new strut plates and some recall A/C filter (?), and also changed my battery which they said was 100% covered, and at the end told me they were mistaken and I had to pay for it!

I starting to get the feeling I should have stuck with Lexus. I love the S80 but the dealerships are killing my enthusiam for them. I will have to try Autobaun Motorcars next time. I take it they are an authorized Volvo dealer?

By the way, I am getting no where with corporate Volvo either. They are pretty much blowing me off, I guess the Ford ownership is showing up now. :-(
  • Options
    scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    I've been away from this board for a while. I have been doing my own maintenance on my 2000 S80 T6, and have had no problems. I just changed the plugs at 38K miles.. for no other reason than the book indicates every 30K miles. I called Volvo, they wanted $40 for 6 plugs. After inquiring with a few different people, I decided to put in Autolite's AP3923.. a platinum plug. Cost $2.00 each, and I get a 60 cent / plug rebate.. woopie, $3.60 back!! but I'll take it. Does anyone reading this KNOW (not guess) of any reason why Volvo plugs should be used? I ran my car a few miles last night and there was no sign of issues.

I will mention, that under the VOLVO plastic plug cover are the wires covered by a plastic covering.. and this plastic covering is decomposing fast due to heat (I assume). If you have over 40K miles on your car, you may want to pull the plastic cover and check for yourself. I will replace much of this soon.

Scott
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major midwestern newspaper is interested in speaking with folks who have anecdotes and opinions on rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive in winter driving conditions.
    We're also looking for people who recently switched one way or the other and what they like/dislike about what they're driving now.
    If you are interested in participating, please provide your city/state of residence and your daytime phone number to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than March 20, 2002.
    Thanks as always,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    wayfirewayfire Member Posts: 2
    My wife and purchased a S80 T6 executive about a month ago and have been very pleased so far. I started research about three years ago on V70. Looking for a family car I thought. My wife, being the primary driver couldn't see herself in a wagon. We planned on getting a S70 until she saw a S80 on the lot. My question is are there any S80 owners with new families? We have a 5 month old and right now are using towels under the carseat to protect the leather. Any other ideas? Also, road trip to Bloomington, IN this weekend. Anyone with the nav sys have trouble in a city not on Navtech CD ROM system? Just want to know if I'll need the ol'map too. Thanks in advance. I ROLL WITH STRENGTH.
  • Options
    paltingpalting Member Posts: 26
    I bought a liner from Toys R Us. It covers the back of the seat, the seat, and then drapes down with pockets. Can never have too many pockets when transporting babies. It is waterproof, and has a felt backing that contacts the leather. Although I bought it at ToysRUs, I'm sure you can find it most anywhere. Although I have a Volvo S80 T6 (that's why I'm here), I use the liner in the mini van. It has worked well so far.
  • Options
    neil2212neil2212 Member Posts: 16
    While living in the Dallas area, I researched ALL of the area Volvo dealerships. My initial encounter was with Volvo of Richardson (VOR). Not good, as noted in my earlier posting. I then checked out Point West in Irving. I didn't get a "warm fuzzy" feeling from them. They just didn't seem interested in me, so maybe I didn't feel interested in them. There was another Volvo dealer down "in Dallas" - don't recall the name. They moved their operations to ~ I-35E and Trinity Mills. They seemed nice - my only concern was that the salesman that I had dealt with at VOR was now working at this dealership! I then contacted Autobahn in Ft. Worth. I talked with their sales manager (Ken Neal). Ken's a REALLY nice guy, and has a great connection with their service department (i.e. made things happen for me). Yes, Autobahn is an authorized Volvo facility. I wouldn't hesitate dealing with them again for another Volvo, except for the fact that I've since moved to Tucson, AZ. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Regards,

Neil
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    that Volvo has forgotten what customer service is all about. In a "niche" market you would think they'd be more cognizant of taking care of customers. Had the same problem here in San Antonio - 1 dealer and I wasn't driving all over Texas to find another. So, after 19 yrs, I no longer own a Volvo (and am quite happy!). Volvo of America was equally unconcerned. Sent them a letter and never got a response - so much for good customer relations. To add icing to the cake, Volvo's reliability has "gone south" the past 3-4 yrs.

A sad story............
  • Options
    capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    I am sorry to say that I am happy with my 2001 T6. While I wish I could join the chorus of woe on this board...I just can't. No mechanical problems, good deal, fine service (Garden State Volvo, Wall, NJ). Car is fast, safe, comfortable and gets 25MPG plus on hiway. I would recommend this car to anyone, except someone who expects absolute perfection from a mechanical object that takes a beating every day in harsh conditions...and then, I wouldn't recommend anything.

My 99 S70 was also virtually flawless, save for the headlight bulb thing.
  • Options
    volvoconvertvolvoconvert Member Posts: 3
    Ditto to '01T6-all Good! My 2000 model 2.9 has had no problems other than one burned out headlight. This is my first Volvo. It's a joy to drive...and maintain!

Volvoconvert
  • Options
    paltingpalting Member Posts: 26
    I'd like to join the chorus of cheers. I've had my T6 for 3 straight trouble free years. The biggest scare I've had was when I didn't close the gas cap well and the check engine light stayed on. Dealer reset it for free, with a little lecture thrown in.

There is also a story to tell my grandchildren. My 3 year old T6 beat a brand new BMW 530i in a straight drag race. With my front wheels squeaking and the traction warning light flashing, the bimmer got ahead maybe 3/4 of a car length before I started to catch up. Passed him when I was doing about 120 mph. Hit 130 just to make a point. The bimmer crawled in behind me at the next light to check out the badges in the back. Must have broken his heart to see VOLVO.
  • Options
    Bimmers suck and Volvos rule! (at least my 850 does)
  • Options
    derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    To be honest, I've had my fair share of problems with my 32000 miles 99 S80 2.9 that was manufactured in 9/98. I've had my sub-frame recall, burnt out left front headlight, a total electrical shutdown at 70mph due to burnt out CPU, cooling fan motor failure, etc. All repaired under warranty by Lawrence Volvo of Walnut Creek, CA within a day or two with a loaner car.

I've had my frustration with this S80 too and at one point I was ready to give it up for a Bimmer or a Mercedes. I am glad that I didn't.

The car is so comfortable and it is such a great value for money that I think I will keep the car for a long time to come. I tried the 5-series, the E-class, the A6 and none of them even come close to S80's roominess, smooth engine and transmission, quiet cabin, comfortable ride and most important of all, Safety. I just cannot find any replacement for my S80 at a similar price range unless I go for the non-european manufacturers.

Enjoy!