Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    It also depends on your location. Some areas have higher demand for used Avalons and you will get a higher trade value in such a location. The reverse also applies for low demand areas.
  • Options
    nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually Douglas is right. It depends on your area. The area you done your business in has so much to do with the price and the value of your trade in. I failed to mention this. I'm so glad he brought it up. The main thing "is that your happy". I don't want to sound as though the care I traded in was a piece of junk. It wasn't. The accident was not logged into car fax. I just know cars and the previous owner told me about it when I spotted what was obvious paint work to me. The electrical MIGHT have been nothing but leaving my wife on the side of the road twice made me want to trade it in. I liked the 2000 Avalon so much, I knew I would like a new one. I think you'll like the new Avalon too. So don't beat your self up over your trade in.
  • Options
    flyfishmoflyfishmo Member Posts: 1
    With Toyota's just added $750 rebate on Avalons, I just purchased a 2011 Limited Blizzard White with Nav and Remote start for 34,300 with no trade $8400 down. Sticker for the 2011 was $38,700. Had an 2005 Limited but was totaled in an accident recently. The 2005 did its job on safety during the accident. I would recommend these cars to anyone.
  • Options
    oldman925oldman925 Member Posts: 22
    Appears i cant do math any more . after deducting sales tax and other fees to the state of Calif my cost was $28406.00 .

I thought the deal was ok when bought but my Grand son ( 25 ) said my 2000 was worth $10,000 . He plays with used cars as a side line and used a couple of car sites to make his point . This is my last one due to age so its ok . Just want to be correct as to making a statement . Dealer said it was a good price and i dont want to bum rap him .

Fees were $ 3539.00 on sale price of $ 35206.00
  • Options
    Me again :o), I paid 88 hundred for the Avalon I traded in. I felt as though I got a good deal despite the door dings, being wrecked and with 108 thousand miles. I did not know that car had electrical problems. So I would say your grandson is right, but again depending on the area you live in. I wonder why he just didn't buy your car? Especially if he deals with them or messes around with them.

As the year goes on everyone knows there will be more incentives to buy a 2011. So seeing incentives now doesn't bother me in the least. IF the South and North Korea go to war, then I bet even better incentives will come up. That's just the nature of buying a new car.
  • Options
    did not tell grand son, until i saw him on thanksgiving day , besides he would not give me 10,000 grand . am sure he wants a big discount , dont they all ???
  • Options
    twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    edited November 2010
    What you really mean is "Don't WE all?". Including you. The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Give him what he wants, it won't kill ya & it may make him feel more powerful in this world where most of us feel impotent. He's your grandson, for cryin' out loud.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    twinb, What are you trying to say? Should oldman just give his grandson the car? The problem I see with the younger generation is just that. They all want you to GIVE them everything. How can a person feel any self worth if he/she don't earn it. No one and I repeat no one ever gave me anything. I think I'm a much better man for that. Just my thoughts on the matter. Perhaps twinb meant, it would be better to give the car to the Grandson then give it to the dealer. ??? Or perhaps offer the car to your Grandson? I know we lose a lot of communication going through blogs and e-mails. So perhaps I misunderstood what is trying to be said here. I know sometimes, I seem rude by being so direct. I never mean to sound rude, but I have to admit I am direct.

UPDATE ON AVALON:
    I got 23.4 MPG city driving on my Avalon. I figured by adding air to the tires I would get better gas mileage. Oh well, it's a big car. Right? I did fill up when the tank was only half empty. I wonder if that makes a difference. Anyone know? I took advantage of the $2.51 per gallon. Price war between two stations. I love it when that happens.
  • Options
    twinbtwinb Member Posts: 140
    Yes you misunderstood what I was trying to say, and I didn't say what I meant clearly. It was a post that should not have been written. Sorry.
  • Options
    robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    You are to be commended for your honesty and apology. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Honestly goes a really long way in my book. It's one of the things at the top of my list. It is too bad we lose a lot of communication through writing our feelings down. I'm sorry too if I misunderstood what you was trying to say to oldman.

Does anyone know if MPG should be different filling up with the tank half full/empty? Or letting the gas tank go completely empty. Well almost completely empty? My wife says the MPG will be less filling up with the tank half full, but I can't see why that would be. Unless as the tank goes empty the car will be getting lighter and would make the MPG go higher. ? Any thoughts on this matter. Any input on the matter? (better English?)
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just gave my grandson a pristine '92 LS400....

I guess it depends on the grandson's attitude, demeanor...
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wish I was in your family wwest. To be completely truthful my grandfather bailed me out of trouble a few times. Wasn't serious money and I was young. I ALWAYS paid him back. Every penny. I guess the world is changing as I type. I still feel a young man's self worth increases when he earns what he/she gets.

A LS400 is some car. How did you like it? I believe those cars are real wheel drive. Right? I'm pretty sure they are. How does that car compare to the Avalon? I am curious about Lexus' and really curious how it compares with the 2011 Avalon. My business for years was buying and selling cars. These cars was used cars. I was what they called a wholesaler. However I never had the privilege of owning a Lexus. It's just one car that always brought full book in the auctions. In fact they brought MORE than the black book value. Even with high miles those cars brought "all the money" as they say in the car business.
  • Options
    "earning" is a somewhat subjective term..

Yes, the LS400 is RWD, I would NEVER put a newly "minted" driver in a FWD vehicle, not for our wintertime driving. Yes, the early LS400's were GOOD vehicles, undoubtedly the best of that era and class.

Have I said enough about the Avalon..?
  • Options
    finfin Member Posts: 594
    The total weight of the vehicle is only meaningful in stop-and-go city driving. On the highway, on a long trip, it is much less important and the weight of 9 gallons of gas, less than 100 pounds, is not really meaningful in either case.

Now, if the tires are underinflated by even 3 psi, that's when you will see a measureable difference. Worry more about the tires, not the weight of the fuel (unless Avalons start to fly, in which case....). :-)
  • Options
    gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    OK, we got a few pounds less weight but we're stopping twice as often. I don't think you're going to find any noticeable difference.
  • Options
    Your MPG should be approximatley the same throughout whether or not the tank is filled as half or almost empty, unless the driving conditions change drastically. If you were to go a flat steady 60mph and fill up at half, then empty the tank at the same speed/conditions, your mileage should be identical. Letting the tank in an old car go empty is only dangerous in that it might clog the fuel filter with all the junk in the bottom of the tank...and that can affect mileage (and, in some cars, has been known to burn out the fuel pump!); but, that shouldn't be an issue in a newer car at all. Fill it up where you feel comfortable but don't think it affects the mileage at all...'cause it doesn't.
  • Options
    No, I would never let a tank go completely empty. Not on purpose. No way. Like you stated there's junk in the bottom of the tank and it's not good for the engine.

What I'm saying is my wife says the MPG will be lower if I fill up at half full. I can see no logic in her thinking other than the weight difference. You pointed out that the weight difference should NOT be a factor. You carefully noted it's simply not that much more weight. I can agree. This has been an on going debate between my wife and me. That's all, thanks for the extra information that supports my theory. It will be easier to check on a long trip and probably the only way we'll see who is right.
  • Options
    nan48,

Just a last thought...make sure it is the same person who does all the filling up during your experiment. When I fill the tank, I get two more gallons in than my wife, so obviously this can affect the mileage. Also note that there are different pump nozzles and some do not allow topping off as well as others.

This is why she may be getting higher readings at the half tank, especially if you are getting the reading from the onboard computer. I would do the experiment manually, and not rely on the computer, which is fun; however, can be notoriously inaccurate,depending on the way the tank is filled.

Good luck! ;)
  • Options
    I always do the filling up and I do it the same way every time. Thanks on all advice. I know that figuring up MPG is something you can't do just on one fill up. I'm guessing you would take 3 fill ups or more, the calculate those together. Our car computer said I was getting 26.7 which I I think we'll agree is always off. Sometimes I get better than my computer is saying I'm getting. I only have 21 hundred miles so the car is still very young. Soon I'll be checking into the extended warranty.
  • Options
    On the Avy, the extended warranty, IMHO, is definitely worth it. With all of the electronic doodads on this vehicle, if you can get a fair price on the warranty, it is more than worth the peace of mine....I've had friends who had CDs stuck in their in-dash CD/GPs units and the repairs, out of warranty, ran into 4 figures. I don't want to even think about what it might cost if a heated seat blew up or a sunroof jammed. I know the quality is certainly better than years ago; however, you're always taking a risk. We usually own our cars for 5-6 years and I like the security of knowing I won't pay for anything but maintenance. It's worth the $700-$1000 we pay on the warranty.

Good call.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yea, I agree, Jerry from Kansas seems to give the best deals on the warranty. Better than my dealer. It is a Toyota Warranty, with 0 deducible. There is so many options so we are not sure. I think the 7-100 thousand mile is the best. Cost more but gives us more lead way on the miles. Peace of mine is a great thing. Like you said so many gadgets, it's hard for me to imagine paying for the cost of fixing something like a heated seat. Thanks!

On getting MPG, the wife still says the MPG will be different unless you follow the same fill it up the same way every time. She is not talking about city verses hwy. She is a scientist by trade.(Chemist) This does not make her right because of her trade. I say it doesn't matter but I still think I'm right. She says you'll have different variables when you fill up at different spots on the gas Gage. So she claims the doing the same way every time will be more accurate. NOW these are my words coming from her. I am not the educated one and missing a lot of things she is claiming. Her words are much different but she won't log into any blog. ;) Anyway I just use good old horse sense says she's wrong (in my mind). Next trip, I'll do some close checking and maybe I can still keep the romance going in the bedroom by proving her wrong.
  • Options
    Any negative comments on the Kansas Auto Co. Question , Why are there no Dealers meeting or at least close to this Co, price for the Platinum Warranty.

I like the idea because of all the possible breakdowns but i am wary as to only one dealer offering this feature .

$564 is a good number and i would buy but my gut feeling is rumbling .

remember if its too good , it may be NO GOOD

I have read through all of the pages on this site and am impressed but you would think that the dealers would have located this site and would have some interest in selling the same product at on or near the same price .

hope to hear your views
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I agree oldman. Mine gut is doing the same thing. I am hoping people will comment on this. However all I have to go by it the testimony of people on our blog. No one has complained. I asked my dealer about the warranty and they claim they PAID more for the warranty than Jerry was asking. In fact they never heard of Jerry. I didn't go into detail. I have NOT bought the warranty yet and would people to comment on it. I have time but as you get older time flies by faster. I think you'll agree on that. Did you consider Jerry? Did you buy an extended warranty? I am told, by a person in this blog and that could be anyone commenting. It's a Toyota warranty. Honored by Toyota everywhere. I am told this.
  • Options
    Selling extended warranty coverage is often the only income source, or at least the major one, for the (st,d)ealer's finance manager. I haven't purchased an extended warranty for a number of years but back when it was always my practice to go to an entirely different (st,d)ealer to purchase it.

Purchasing (st,d)ealer price was often twice that of separate (st,d)ealer sales price.
  • Options
    I was told many years ago and from a excellent source that the finance guy was the highest paid employe and that what he sold as extras was pure gravey . for the dealer and high commission to him.

What we need is info from some one who bought from the guy in Kansas preffably a2005 /2006 car and used the extended warranty . there is no value on a warranty that has 3 years to go and then find out it has no value .

I am a lithographer / photo engraver , many years ago, but still have the skills to make up a warranty or any other piece of paper if there was enough money in it . with the new ecquipment on the market it would be a piece of cake .

Do you see where im going ????? for $ 600 a pop i will make you as many as you want .

they are making all kinds of good paper for the wet backs and only charging half price in Calif . and i assume its being done where you live.

Any body out there agree??????
  • Options
    popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    We seem to be discussing "Jerry" as if he was a guy selling warranties out of his trunk. He is a financial contact person at Midwest Superstore, Hutchison, Kansas, a large, reputable, Toyota/Ford dealership.

Some dealerships have figured out that a lot money can be made on volume, both warranty agreements and automobiles. That's why we can buy things cheaper from them!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    A few years ago, my wife bought a Subaru Legacy (since traded in for an 11 Avalon!). The dealer F&I guy swore up and down that $2300 was the best he could do on the extended warranty. We passed. A couple of months later, I found a post here on the forums where another dealership posted his prices on the extended warranty. Same warranty. $695. I researched the dealer and found out they were legit. Called Subaru of America and they said the dealer was authorized to sell the SOA warranty. Called the dealer and put it on my CC (the better to dispute if it turned out to be a bogus aftermarket warranty.) Paperwork arrived and showed genuine Subaru. Called my dealerships service department. She looked it up and said that my vehicle was in their system as covered under the SOA warranty....and asked: "How come you bought it from a different dealership?"

Long story end: I've not only heard of this but personally experienced it, so I think that, as long as you properly research and put in safeguards (I love Amex for their customer service on disputes!), save the money and buy it where you find it for less, if your dealer won't come down in price.
  • Options
    nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Jerry from Midwest Toyota sells the warranty. The warranty booklet and all registration of the warranty come from Toyota in CA.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I wrote this to Jerry a few minutes ago.

Jerry, November 30, 2010

On our blog many people are interested in your warranty. Many questions are coming up and it's hard to answer all of them. One of the main questions is this. How come your Toyota warranty is cheaper? How come our dealer does not have the same price? So many questions. So perhaps, IF you have time, you could explain why your warranty is cheaper. I know dealers make money off of selling these warranties but is the mark up that much? I look forward to your answer to share with others.

Sincerely, Bill owner of 2011 Avalon , with 21 hundred miles on it.
  • Options
    I just received in the mail from Toyota Financial Services (in Cedar Rapids, not CA) the warranty booklet on the 7 yr./75,000 mile, $0 deductible warranty. It sure looks like a real warranty. Everything relative to my vehicle (VIN, in service date, expiration date, etc.) is listed as well as all the legalese. It would be a LOT of trouble to go to just to scam a dozen or so people. Of course, the real test will be when/IF I have to have repairs made under it.
  • Options
    AMEN to all that . Must be some one out there who has used this warranty !!!!!!!!!

Is there a address where Toyota can reply to our concerns. They papered and emailed me as to if I was pleased with the product . Seems as it would be in their best interest.
    I think it is a valid issue ,dont know how many people are on this site but if there are enough maybe some one better skilled in typing would send them the question . This .typing took me forever .

Remains to see what the seller Jerry answers in his reply to NAN
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nimmi

Did you buy the warranty from Jerry or your dealer? I sent my e-mail tonight to Jerry and as soon as I get an answer I'll post it first thing. It might take a few days because of the Holidays.

Oldman,,
    I did do a little research today. I checked some sites out. I did NOT go as far to get a price. The reason is, I had to put all my personal information in, I figured it would not be in my best interest to do that. Especially shopping around for the best price. I figure these dealers/sellers know where the best price is. There is one site from Main, selling extended warranties. I did not get a price. TC, Bill
  • Options
    appears there is a great deal of risk , not much sense in beating ourselves up with trying to get a deal when we have no apparent way of being assured the warranty is bonofied I will wait out the 3 yr time frame and see how things hold up during the warranty period .

really never can win with car mfg or dealers . just hope for the best . risk / reward factor is in their court .
  • Options
    I bought it from Jerry on 11/13 and got the warranty from Toyota on 11/30. I also called the other dealers mentioned in the Extended Warranty group (Molle Toyota in MO, Toyota of Greenfield in MA and Crown Toyota in KS) and received prices from them all. Crown was actually cheapest but only by $9.
  • Options
    Risk? Of what? That this whole thing is a scam worked up by a half dozen or so legitimate Toyota dealers in the mid-west and New England? You probably think there were other shooters in Dallas too!
  • Options
    I agree with your comments. This thread started as where to get the best price on a Toyota extended warranty, but has degenerated into folks worrying about the risk of purchasing anything, anywhere, anytime.

I bought the Toyota extended warranty from a reputable Toyota dealer ("Jerry"), received the registered paperwork from Toyota, and hope I never need it. If I need it, I assume it will be honored. It's just a form of insurance. After all, do we really know that the Geico lizard will pay us 5 years from now.
  • Options
    I suspect the Warranty by Jerry is legitimate. I have not heard any answer from my e-mail yet. It is just insurance, but it's insurance that you don't have to buy. I would like to buy it but I simply don't want to fork out the money if it's no good. The so called insurance or extended warranty would cost us an 1,000.00, Again I'll say, I don't mind paying for it but I certainly want to know it's good when I need it. We want the 7 year 100,000 warranty. Mainly because it will increase the resale value of the car. I'll keep everyone updated.
  • Options
    Your best bet would be to phone Jerry. I too emailed him and then phoned him a few days later. He's not as faithful to email as he is to the phone.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    No phone numbers or contact information is permitted to be posting in the forums.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Kristie, you should check your forums more often. About every place in the country to get a Toyota extended warranty at a decent price has been mentioned.

You are about two weeks behind on this one!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited December 2010
    Probably true, and i delete them as I find them. I'm not a bot - I'm a human, who is occasionally absent due to family, illness, vacation, etc, although I really do appreciate the advice on how I should do my job.

Product and company recommendations are fine - just no contact info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm looking at the 7yr, 100,000 mile warranty, cost more but will help the resale value of my Avalon.
  • Options
    Well, I did get a response from Jerry today. I'll try to post what was said without violating any rules. Sorry about that. ;)

Hello
    Thank you very much for your email,
    On the price of the warranty, Toyota charges the dealer a cost for the warranty and the dealer can offer it for what price they want and make what profit they like.
    I make a small profit but I am selling hundred’s warranties and that’s how I make my profit.
    A lot of dealers do not sell in bulk like I do so there price is higher in order to make there profit.
    Here is the way that I look at it, by offering customers Toyotas best warranty they can own the Platinum with zero deductible at a great price and give them peace of mind and they don’t have to worry down the road what repair cost will be. With that in mind I sell a lot of warranties and we are working together by helping each other out. That is the way it should be.
    I take great pride in taking care of my customers and I feel like I am doing a good thing and love it.
    I offer Toyota, Lexus and Scion warranties. I also offer the Ford, Mercury and Lincoln warranties as well.
  • Options
    It is my understanding that the Toyota extended warranties are available for any brand or model, even used. Once purchased one for a used Mercury Sable.
  • Options
    fhimesfhimes Member Posts: 17
    edited December 2010
    I purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited from a dealer in Houston last May. They offered the platinum 75000 miles, zero deductible extended warranty for $1374. I learned about Jerry and the lower cost for the warranty through this forum and contacted him. Jerry is an employee at a Toyota dealership in another state. I contacted Toyota Corp and the Toyota Extended warranty office and was told you can purchase the extended warranty at any Toyota dealership anywhere in the US and any Toyota dealership will honor it. You do not have to buy it from your selling dealer.
    I received a cost of $654 from Jerry for the same identical warranty that my dealership wanted $1374. I asked them if they could match the lower offer and they said no and told me a Toyota dealer can charge anything he wants for the warranty. My dealer said any Toyota dealer will honor the warranty as it is a Toyota Corp warranty and not individual dealer. I purchased the warranty from Jerry and received all the necessary paper work and documentation on it from the Toyota Corporation. I have several friends who also purchased their warranty from Jerry.
  • Options
    In my case, Mercury Sable, even Ford honored the Toyota warranty.
  • Options
    Am I to infer that if I took my Avalon and Toyota warranty to Ford, they might fix it?

Honestly, Ford honoring a Toyota warranty to fix a Mercury? Sounds like you had a third party warranty sold by a Toyota dealer.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I will be buying a warranty from Jerry before the year is up. Good Lord willing. I will buy the 7 yr. 100,000 mile warranty. The cost is more but I believe it will help the resale value of the car is I ever want to sell it. I'm 99 % sure Jerry is the real deal.