Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• max27tmax27t Posts: 35
    Posted on Wed, Jul. 31, 2002

GM unveiling OnStar service that will automatically relay crash data

WASHINGTON (AP) - General Motors Corp. unveiled new vehicle technology Wednesday that will determine the severity of a crash within seconds and automatically call for help.

Crash sensors in the front and rear bumpers and on both sides of the vehicle can tell where the vehicle was hit and the speed and force of impact.

Beginning in some vehicles next year, the information will be sent to an OnStar operator through a handsfree cellular phone connection. The operator can talk to crash victims in the vehicle and conference in 911 dispatchers with all the information they need to quickly send emergency responders.

OnStar is the country's most popular in-vehicle communications system, with more than 2 million subscribers. It is a subsidiary of General Motors and provides service for some GM, Lexus, Acura, Audi, Saab, Subaru, Isuzu and Volkswagen models.

The system already alerts an OnStar operator when an air bag deploys, but the improvements will notify operators about accidents that did not trigger an air bag deployment and send more information about the crash.

OnStar operators can also locate a stolen vehicle, remotely unlock the doors, provide roadside assistance, remote diagnostics, directions and even dinner reservations. OnStar subscriptions cost $199-$499 annually, depending on which services are provided.

DaimlerChrysler Corp. will begin offering a cell phone operated by voice commands this fall from Bluetooth Wireless called UConnect. The system does not include crash notification, but DaimlerChrysler spokeswoman Mary Beth Halprin said it may one day if customers demand it.

``Right now our consumer research shows that our consumers rate that kind of feature as a lower priority related to the cost associated with that sort of feature,'' she said. ``They think it's a neat concept, but if it's too expensive, they don't want it.''

GM won't say how much the company spent on the new technology but OnStar President Chet Huber said subscription fees won't increase.

OnStar currently receives about 500 air bag deployment notifications and 14,000 roadside assistance requests per month. GM expects the new system will bring in another 124 calls per month in its first year, 278 in the second year and 432 in the third year.

The new system will be available beginning next year on about 400,000 vehicles sold in Canada and the United States, including the Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy and Envoy XUT, Oldsmobile Bravada and Buick Rainier. The new service will be available across GM's entire line by 2007.

GM officials say eventually the information may be transmitted electronically to 911 centers, first responders and hospitals using secure Internet connections. The system may also one day be able to tell how many people were in the vehicle, whether they were using seat belts and other information that helps emergency responders anticipate injuries before they arrive at the accident scene.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration administrator Jeffrey Runge said the new technology will be especially helpful for rural crashes, where there may not be witnesses and the victims may not immediately be discovered. Runge was an emergency physician before taking over the agency last year.

``I really do believe that (the system's technology) will be there to close a gap that has been there in our ability to save lives,'' he said.

------

On the Net:

OnStar system: http://www.onstar.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, welcome to markcinclt. I hope you enjoy your new CVT. We almost went with the Alpaka Beige, but then my wife happened to see the Pearlescent White and we went with that.

BTW, your username is pretty close to markcincinnati. I hope all of us can keep your postings straight.

• max27tmax27t Posts: 35
    jgranata,

I agree the Amulet Red is gorgeous. In case you haven't seen this picture posted by LMGotts on AW, here is a picture of an Amulet Red S6.

http://www.digitalfields.com/s6/amulets6side.JPG

• copyguycopyguy Posts: 4
    I am leasing a 2000 Volvo S80 t6 that must have been wired by a kid with his 1st electric set...I'm hearing that Audi is known for this also and don't want to know my service mgr. better than I know my salesman...I test drove a 2.7t and really liked it but am leaning towards a 530i even though the new models look just like the 97's of which I had a 528i...I would like comments on the reliability of the A6's as I will be buying instead of leasing this time around.

Audi has some pluses though...4.9% financing 4 year vs 3 year full warranty a little roomier and I love the styling both inside and out...

My S80 is nice when it's running right...but I'll bet there have been more days with a message light on than not.....
  • theremintheremin Posts: 26
    I can only speak from my own experience, but my '99 A6 quattro has been virtually trouble-free. In the 3 years I've had it, there's been:
    --An electrical glitch with the driver's window.
    --A broken lumbar mechanism in the driver's seat.
    Apart from a few various turn signal and brake light replacements...that's it. All was taken care of promptly by the dealer, no charge.
    Since I drive pretty aggresively, I've gone through brake pad replacements (again, no charge). From my perspective, the car's been as reliable as any Japanese car I've ever had.
  • jgranatajgranata Posts: 70
    great picture (i need a bigger display) of the s6...another touch that i really like are the aluminum rails on the roof and the sill plate on
    the lower door jams...just so classy looking. i wonder if that shade of red is same that porsche
    uses? guards red? it's the one that all the hot rodders use on their creations. jackg
  • hall42hall42 Posts: 12
    I have a 2002 A6 CVT with 1200 miles. Has been leaking oil since the beginning. Right now it's in the shop for the third time. Service manager told me "I don't know what's wrong with it and I don't know how to fix it." Anyone else having this problem?
  • morphiemorphie Posts: 94
    While I have had no problems with Audi oil leaks, perhaps we could help if you gave us more information:

-I assume it is engine oil you are referring to, not another lubricant. How much is leaking? Does it pool up under the car? If so, where?

-Has your dealer located the area where the leak in emanating from? i.e. near the top of the engine, bottom, etc?

-Has the regional Audi service rep been consulted yet?
    Thanks for the reply...First off my car is leaking about a quart of engine oil a day. No matter how they "fix" it each time it comes back leaking the same amount.

1. at the first service they claimed the only problem was 2 gaskets rather than 1 on the oil drain plug creating a gap for oil to leak out

2. second service- front engine seal and valve cover gaskets. I guess the front engine seal is a stainless steel piece that they said had a nick out of it which was a defect that would in turn nick the gaskets to cause leaking. (???)

3. The service manager now tells me that the engine oil is leaking out of almost every orifice. Now they claim that I have a defective oil pump; however, my gauges never indicated a pressure problem. They claimed they manually checked the oil pressure with some device and it was too high. If you can't tell I am skeptical as to work that is being done to actually fix the problem rather than just returning my car.

Worse of all, I feel lied to and taken advantage of. I went to the dealership with the intent of ordering an A4; however, the dealer was very ready to give me a great deal on the A6 that he had on his lot for 7 months. I don't see how a car that they had for 7 months, (supposedly getting new vehicle checks every month) which had 122 miles on it never leaked engine oil on their lot (would they have to disclose this??). I guess it's like they say, "if it's too good to be true it probably is".

The service manager at the dealership says he is working directly with Audi to diagnose the problem. He also claims that he is pushing for a new engine. I, on the other hand, am going to let them give it back to me for the third time. When it leaks again my legal rights start to kick in.

I am really venting here but hopefully this will help. Thanks!
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Actually the dealers explanation makes sense.

Your gages would not tell you if you had too high of oil pressure.

It is conceivable to me that the oil pump runs on its relief valve at higher RPMS. If the relief valve is stuck closed then you will over pressure the oil seals.

It is also possible that lubrication systems generally don't hit their relief valve in normal operation. If that is the case then the high pressure is due to a restriction in the lubrication system somewhere and and replacing the pump won't help. They should see this if they check the pressure after they replace the pump.

Assuming its the pump scenario you still may of leaks due to blown seals that they will have to replace.
  • morphiemorphie Posts: 94
    At this point, oil pumps and seals are irrelevant.

My advice is: first, demand a loaner vehicle, equivalent to your car: ideally an A6; an A4 would be acceptable.

Second, talk to the regional Audi rep yourself, not through the dealer.

Third, immediately consult an attorney who is familiar with your state's lemon laws.

Finally, demand to see any work orders relating to your Audi which pre-date your purchase.

Keep us posted on developments.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    I can add little to the excellent advice that's already been offered. I'm sorry that you've had to experience this. You certainly deserve to be "made whole" through actions of your dealer and AoA. The only good news is that recently AoA has been coming through for it's car buyers more than anytime it has before. Let's hope they do it again.
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but what exactly is AoA? Also, how do I contact the regional Audi rep? Would I get this number from the dealership?
  • noshonosho Posts: 119
    Audi of America (AoA) is the USA corporation that imports & warrantees Audi's here in the US. Ask your dealer for contact information, or better yet, ask your dealer to arrange a face-to-face meeting with the regional rep. at the dealership. A replacement engine would be the desirable outcome of this IMHO.

Best of luck....
  • davkingdavking Posts: 51
    Somewhere amongst the manual type materials you received with your car is a booklet entitled Owner Information About Consumer Protection Laws. In it they explain what to do if you are not satisfied with dealer service.
  • First I'd like to say hello to everyone from Canada.
    I am planning to by an A6 3.0 AWD, triptronic with preferred luxury package in a few weeks. The MSRP is 58,000 CAD (plus tax). When I stepped into the dealership the dealer offered right away 56,000CAD. I think he can go lower (54,000CAD) especially now when the 2003 model is soon out. Any opinion on it?
    Another question: Does the Onstar work in Canada? Worth buying this option?
  • lunar2-
    I assume you mean the Audi dealer in Alexandria. I dealt with them when buying my new A6 about 5 months ago. My experience was only OK at best - the salesman was friendly and actually seemed knowledgable about product. However, they did not seem to be very good on pricing. I ulimately ended up buying from Audi in Rockville, MD, where they had a much better inventory of vehicles in stock and gave me a very good price right off the bat. Audi of Alexandria finally came back and said they would match any other local dealer's price, but then they played games on the leasing rates (tried to pad a little extra profit above the AoA subsidized rates.) Since Rockville had the exact car I wanted and they were more upfront about pricing, I bought from them without regret.
  • I have '02 A6 3.0 CVT with 2500 miles and no problems to report. However, my previous Audi, a '99 A4 1.8T Quattro 5-speed, had numerous nit picky problems, none as serious as the oil, but I bring this up because it was one that also sat on the lot for many many months. I would see what you can do to get the car exchanged
  • I have a 2000 2.7T and my lease ends next March if I don't accept an early buy out on my lease. I was wondering about the handling in wet and dry weather comparisons between the front wheel drive Audi (so I could get CVT) and other rear engine traction control vehicles as well as other all wheel drives. apparently there are many versions of all wheel drive that behave differently than quattro. I have certainly been pleased with my 2.7 as well as my dealer but I want to consider my options. Any opinions??
    Thanks
  • I dunno what the attraction of the CVT would be (at this point). Coming off of a 2.7T and going to a CVT equipped car would certainly lower your performance (since the CVT cannot yet be mated with quattro nor can it yet handle the torque of the 2.7T or 4.2).

Depending on where you live front wheel drive is a fine choice -- in my opinion better than rear wheel drive, but if you're only going to go with two driven wheels, you owe yourself a drive in a BMW or that new RWD Caddy.

Quattro performs very well under all road conditions -- neither FWD nor RWD alone (even with electronic assists) beats quattro under all road conditions. Many people think of "four wheel drive" as meaning off road, towing or truck-like. Quattro all wheel drive while sometimes criticized as being in cars that tend to understeer too much (which is true) is a performance boon, a safety boon, a slick surface (hence safety) boon.

Many fine cars are RWD and FWD -- I happen to think that an Audi FWD is a very nice car indeed, in many ways. But I'll bet that 2.7T has spoiled you in ways you don't know. Ditto and double ditto the fact that your 2.7T was in a quattro car -- you're used to a certain HIGH level of performance. At this time the A6 3.0 with CVT, although a very good car in every respect, just isn't a 2.7T quattro. No way, no how.

Wait until the next generation when you can choose from a 5 or a 6 spd Tip, a 6 spd manual and/or a CVT -- with quattro. It isn't likely to be here as soon as you need to replace your current car though.

One biased opinion.

Good luck!
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Assuming that they haven't updated the rear suspension for the FWD A6's IMHO it is considerably inferior to the quattro fully independent setup which provides both better ride and handling
    The above comment does not apply to the latest A4 which has the fully independent setup on both the FWD and quattro verisons
  • alban1alban1 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2002 3.0 quatro. When the car is in drive...the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are fine, however, the 3-4 and 4-5 shifts are both completed with the car at approx 1500 rpms and acceleration all but dies. I have the car at the dealer now..his first response was that the car is within parameters. Anyone else experience this problem?
  • The 5th is almost like, if not a overdrive gear. I only uses the 5th on the highway. 4th gear, depending on speed, usually stays at around 2500 rpms at highway speed (around 60 mph). 3rd gear and lower are obviously at higher rpms when at the same speed. Now, one thing that could be happening is this. Since this is an adaptive transmission, maybe its still learning your pattern? I know during my first 600 miles or so, the shift was a bit abrupt, if you know what I mean. Now at around 1500 miles, the transmission shift is quite smooth. Hope this helps, and good luck.
  • Thanks markcincinnati and mbnut1.

My motivation for the CVT was that it has the approximately the performance of a manual and I thought the 3.0 at 220 hp performance might be close to the 2.7T for less money. The 2.8 at 200hp when I got the 2.7 was too slow for me. I am reluctant to give up Quattro because the handling/traction/ride combination is terrific. I was thinking about the 540i and the upcoming Infiniti M45. Sounds like CVT and Quattro wont happen until at least 2004 models.
    I had an '02 A6 3.0 quattro with Tip as a loaner. I didn't notice any substantial difference in feel of the shifting compared to my '01 2.7T. The tranny seemed to take good advantage of the 3.0's torque characteristics. Since maximum torque comes in higher up in the rev range, and I think, is narrower, that suggests it would be selecting gears differently than my 2.7T. Curiously, I noticed that the sport mode seemed a little less effective than it did in an '02 3.0 A4 I drove.

I don't think it's strange if the Tip is upshifting @ 1500, under light constant throttle. All cars are an attempt to balance performance with mileage for many reasons such as CAFE, etc. Upshifting into a higher gear helps reduce fuel consumption. If you dip into the throttle a little more, or drive in a more spirited fashion, the tranny should respond by holding gears longer. If it doesn't, then I'd have questions
    You have some interesting choices to make, Jerry. From my brief driving of a 3.0 quattro, I don't think the 3.0 would offer equivalent power even in CVT form. However, the 3.0 even WITH quattro is substantially more lively than the 2.8 was. It seems to rev even more easily, and you can certainly feel the added power. I'd urge you to take a couple of test drives in the quattro version. I think you might be surprised.

I've not treated myself to a drive in a 540. By all accounts, it's a wonderful car to drive with great performance, handling and comfort. But of course, it's RWD, which has both inherent advantages and disadvantages to AWD. I think I prefer the handling of AWD to RWD, but the most significant difference is that if you live anywhere there's winter, you'll probably want to run dedicated winter tires on the 540. Even then, its traction won't compare to a similarly equipped quattro.

I also understand that the out-the-door prices on the 540 are around $10K more than the 2.7T. So if you're looking to pay less, it wouldn't seem to be in the running.

The M45 is also RWD, so the same considerations apply. For me, what disqualifies it from consideration is its looks. How Infiniti arrived at the conclusion that mid '70's GM retro was the way to go is astounding to me. In the pictures I've seen it is the least attractive looking auto from just about anyone in the last 20 years, excepting the new Cadillacs. The CTS is the most aggressively ugly car I've seen on the road, whereas the M45 just kind of frumps along.
  • If you are going to look at a BMW 540 -- then you owe yourself a long drive in an A6 4.2. The 4.2 is still less money than a 540 but I think you will be impressed especially if the 4.2 Audi has the full sport package: wheel/tire, suspension and sport seats. The 4.2 isn't as quick as the 540, but unless you plan to drag race one, the 4.2 will be quicker than almost anything else.

Now, the 2.7T is also a contender but doesn't have quite the looks or the extra luxo touches that the 4.2 has. But the 2.7T can be maxed out and leave you with plenty of money left over especially when compared with a 540. And with the 2.7T with the 6spd manual, you will have an even quicker car.

Apples to apples, I guess the 540 should be compared with the 4.2. Money wise though the BMW 530 when fully maxed out is pretty close to an Audi 4.2. The 540 compares with the 4.2 in my mind more because they are both 8 cylinder cars -- not because of price class.

If you are indeed looking at the price classes your message suggests -- and if you are planning to lease a car -- you might even find yourself able to be "not that far off" on a monthly payment basis if you look at a 2002 S8!

Choices, choices, choices. . . .
  • 927927 Posts: 2
    I seem to have the same problem with my S-6. I would like to talk to you. If this is OK post with a phone number or I will give you mine. thank you
    Well, now they tell me that the oil pump is on back order with Audi. I'm losing confidence and heightening my suspicions ...
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,085
    I'm sure yours is yet another isolated case of significant mechanical difficulty that is experienced by all cars in this price range.

Several of us are waiting anxiously to hear the outcome, for a variety of reasons.

Hang in there.
    Thanks for the update, Deanna. Sorry to hear you're still not getting satisfaction. Sadly, AoA hasn't been known as being great about parts. I think you're absolutely justified to be unhappy with the level of problem resolution you've received to date for such a serious problem. I don't know if you also visit the Audi World site, but think you might want to. There are some folks there who know a great deal about cars and Audi's.

http://www.audiworld.com/forum/index.html

Two people who are especially knowledgeable there are April/verdegrll and Richard Solomon. April loves cars and knows cars, has raced them, fixed them and used to sell Audi's. Richard has just generally known more about Audi's than anyone else whose posts I've read. Richard hasn't posted in awhile, but still might be reading the board. I address your concerns there in general, and specifically ask if either of these two folks could offer any advice.