Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! We are changing the way you sign into our forums. Click here to learn more.

Audi A6

Comments

• marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    I bought '00 2.7T new for $42,500. I just checked the edmunds pricing formula and my car is now worth $28,167.00 as a trade-in to the dealer on something else.

This is a $14,333 depreciation over 2 years and 35,000 miles. The car has "devalued" 41 cents/mile for the last 2 years!

Assuming I put on another 15,000 miles before the warranty is out next July, using this formula the car will be worth about $22,017 at that time.

I'm also assuming that the rate of depreciation slows somewhat after the 3 rd year of ownership, even so , markcincinnati does make a good case for leasing versus buying after looking at these figures!
  • I did buy in cash one brand new Audi -- a 1987 5000CS turbo quattro. I have leased the other 2 dozen odd Audi's and 1 BMW and 2 VW's -- my only reason, aside from my CPA telling me to rent what depreciates and buy what appreciates, is that I can't make buying on time work $-wise.

Those that can, I take my hat off to -- I think it is a false economy to buy on time over leasing (unless, perhaps 0% interest is ever offered on an Audi [Ha! -- and pigs will fly, too] uh, er, not likely that is).
  • I agree with you Mark that manuals are a dying breed, but the promise of the CVT is something else! It may make you forget the manual, let's not blame this all on the american market, there are only two pedals on the floor in all Formula One cars and the Audi R8. In the Porsche club events the tiptronic (steeringwheel mounted shift button cars) are the continually the fastest around the track. While, I agree that having to coordinate hand and foot to execute that perfect "snick" as you shift, is an excellent feeling, technology is passing us by!

Anyway, that is what Miata's are for, a nice manual roadster to through around!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 12,213
    So you're saying it is better to pay cash than lease? How so? You'll still take the same depreciation hit if you want to get rid of the car, there is just no worry about being upside down on your trade. But leasing is definitely better than taking a loan out and making monthly payments...I agree.

Buy what appreciates and rent everything else... Logic dictates I do this, but real estate prices in NYC combined with my meager starting salaries on or near the bottom of the totem pole since I graduated college 4 years ago has forced me to do the opposite. I rent my apartment and just bought a leftover 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH at the end of April. I paid cash for the car. For what the car cost, would be a good start for a down payment on a condo around here.

Once I start making more money and buy a place of my own, I will start to lease cars.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• I was in same boat you were. I'm out of school now 10 yrs and bot my co-op 6 yrs ago. At the time I was renting and owned a car; I switched to leasing to free up funds. Another point to remember is that owning what appreciates (real estate) is also tax deductible (if you have a mortgage); whereas car payments are not. I think the point is that whenever you're borrowing capital and paying interest (without a tax benefit) it makes sense to buy if you can. I'm now in the awkward position of being in a lease @ 15k/yr where I know I will exceed both the warranty and mileage allowance (I can hear Mark cringe (is cringing audible?) since I know he has advised about never keeping these things past warranty). Problem is that I had only been driving 10k/yr but due to some changes in lifestyle I'm putting more miles on now. Maybe I should blame Audi for building such excellent cars. Point: None really. However, I may consider buying my next Audi to avoid the whole mileage stress.
    You can pre-pay for more miles per year and it will be significantly cheaper than if you pay for X amount of miles and have to go over the mileage. That being said, you should never lease a vehicle beyond its warranty period.

I plan to stay in my apt for another 2 years (just signed a 2 year lease extension) and in that time save up enough money for a downpayment on a condo. Ideally I'd like to buy a 1 bedroom in the city, live in it for a few years, and then rent it out as a second source of income. Then I'd like to either move out to Jersey or Up to Westchester and buy a house with a garage so I don't have to worry about parking on the street!

• another daily aggrevation or added monthly expense depending on one's situation. I actually did prepay some miles up front @ 10cent/mile and I think that my driving around may decrease as the novelty of having this car wears off. Luckily, for 2001 Audi only charged 20c/mile over limit; I think I read in a recent ad for an '02 that they raised it to 25c.
    OT: Make sure you buy in a condo (like you mention in your message) if you want to rent it out one day. Co-ops, as you probably know, often have draconian restrictions about residents renting out their units.
    Yeah, I know all about Co-Ops...hard to sub-let, hard to sell... I'm staying far away from Co-Ops.

• Regardless of the financial "vehicle" used to acquire your car, running past 50K miles without a warranty is, IMHO, not a prudent thing to do. The German cars are wonderful to drive -- but, I would not drive one without the "insurance" provided by an extended warranty.

Yes, I can hear cringing. . . .
  • Yes, your point is well taken. I estimate that I'll be about 20k miles outside of warranty by the time my lease is done. At this point do I shell out $2500 or so (just a guestimated figure) or do I risk going it alone after 50k? Mind you, my car has been flawless in 20k so I know I don't have a lemon or problem child on my hands. I know, I know, as we say in the financial industry "past performance is no guarantee of future results" but I see many people in the NY Metro area driving European cars that I KNOW are out of warranty and they're not living in boxes and eating catfood as a result of repairs to their Benz's or BMWs.
    Next time I'll do things differently. If I listen real hard, can I hear you crossing your fingers for me!?! ;')
  • I think you can still get an extended warraty for money that real people can afford.

There may be a 25K extension of the factory warranty available for a few $$$.$$ -- from Audi.

Then you would have a 75k policy -- as I recall you must have the car be "in warranty" and all service records and intervals current.

And yes I saw several "old" Audis just today and they seem fine -- of course I base this assumption because they were being driven at the time here in 93 degree Cincinnati with their windows up, which I assume means that their AC is even working. Just recall the few posters
    who have had 5 figure repair needs OUT OF WARRANTY. Admittedly it has been a minority, but I keep insurance on all the important stuff -- and think that this may be a prudent course of action -- IF it is indeed avail to you.

And I am crossing my fingers!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,268
    there were actually people who bragged about the number of "trouble-free" miles on their vehicle. I had an MGB at the time which I might have put forward, after fixing the issues it had when I bought it.

I follow this board for a couple of reasons, beyond sheer entertainment: 1) Is there anyone who has owned an Audi for long enough to have accumulated six figures of mileage and still thinks it's worth having?, and 2) I was very pleased with my Audi rentals last year in Europe (twice), and am willing to give the brand the benefit of the doubt.

On item (1) I'm still waiting, and suspect that I will be for some time. Regarding item (2), it's clear that these people can build good cars.

Always hopeful. . .
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    When I feel the need to read about people bragging about how many relatively trouble free miles they have been able to put on their cars I go to the Mercedes Benz club site. Benz diesels have astounding longivity.
  • max27tmax27t Posts: 35
    Hello Mr. cdnpinhead,

It seems most of the people on this forum discuss 0-4 year old cars. High mileage cars are usually older than that. You may have already checked out the form on Audi World for older A6s (I have not). In case you might be interested, here is a link:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/

Cheers,

m.

• hintzhintz FloridaPosts: 56
    Looking at leasing a 2002 audi allroad, went to the dealer here in Naples Fl on saturday, but they were short staffed and unable to help me and told me to call and make an appointment during the week!! This already gave me a bad taste in my mouth! I guess I will drive to Ft Myers to the other audi dealer in town. What are people leasing these vehicles? Sticker is around 47K. This is the first time I've ever looked into leasing. Any help would be greated appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    You might want to post your question on the allroad forum at AudiWorld.com - I do know that in some parts of the country people have been able to negotiate close to invoice on remaining 2002 allroads, but am not sure about leasing. I have a 2001 (didn't lease - paid cash) and except for one unscheduled repair (under warranty at Audi's expense) I am completely happy with it - it's a great car.
  • I called my dealer over the w/e and inquired about an extended warranty on my '01 2.7T. Basically, the dealer offered me coverage up to 75k miles for $2607. This was a bit more than I was anticipating so I think I will take my chances and go uncovered after warranty expires.
    I paid $2300 for a 3 year /50,000 mile extended warranty that takes over when the factory warranty expires.

It doesn't cover everything, has a $100.00 per visit deductible on covered items.

Is this extra warranty a waste of money? It is like buying many other forms of insurance. I guess you could ask yourself.... how many repairs does $2300 pay for on the Audi 2.7T? At $88.00/hr. labor + parts markup, it won't take long!
  • You are absolutely correct and clearly you got a better deal than I did since the warranty offered to me would run concurrent to the existing one UP TO 75k miles. Anyway, the way I see I could simply save that money and use it to pay-off my lease 5-6 months early. That way I'd get a new Audi (with a more sensible lease term for my driving habits) and be driving an "old" out-of-warranty car that many fewer months. Furthermore, since by that time I'd be over my 60k mileage alotment on the car I'd also not be racking up extra miles which I'd have to pay for at the end.
    Thanks for your input.
  • I like the option of "early out" on the lease.

One medium "issue" would easily cost 4 figures to repair.
    I have been told (off record) by various Audi dealer service writers that the average non-warranty dealer repair runs $400-$500 on many episodes.

Even something relatively minor like changing the xenon headlight runs $300-$400 for the part and atleast $100 labor.

I have also been informed that changing out the 5-speed tiptronic runs almost $9000!! The dealer doesn't see the "tip" die often, but they do see it happen.

I plan to keep my 2.7T for 100,000 miles or more if possible, so I decided to try the extended warranty route.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    Hintz, before you buy that allroad, you might read this review....

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/71177/article.html

Happy Trails...

• JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    In Edmund's ranking system I think they underweighted performance more than most here would. At just 20% of the total score, the allroad's almost perfect 98.4 rating (nearly 20 points ahead of the next best score) couldn't overcome its very low "recommended" and "personal" ratings, which are very subjective and reflect the bias of the testers. Also the criticisms of transmission lag has been addressed in the 2002 model allroad - or you can have the transmission control module updated (or buy the 6 speed manual). I thought it was very unfair and a bit puzzling why they opted to test a 2001 model in the first place when the others were 2002's. Another puzzling question that I had was how did the 3.0 X5 edge out the allroad in the "feature content" rating? On the X5 and is typical for most BMW's it seems that nearly everything is optional and you pay extra for it. There is some good information in the review but I wouldn't base my buying decision on the final "score".
  • I have 2002 A6 CVT. I liked this car until recently I drove at night and suddenly lost all my interior lights, power windows, power sits and power locks controls.

I bring my car to dealership ( "Audi of Huntington Valley" in Philadelphia) and 4 days they are trying(?...) to determine what the problem is.

Is somebody had any electrical problems in Audi 2002?
  • tmanlawtmanlaw Posts: 17
    Your problem sounds similar to that experienced by "vertimax" shortly after picking up his new 2002 A6. See post #'s 3018 and 3023. His problem was a short in the vanity mirror. Hope your fix is as easy as his was. Good luck.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    Despite my admonition in previous posts about reading the material provided with the car I have to admit that I never read the maintenance stuff. Until now, that is. Frankly, I'm a klutz and changing oil is where my expertise stops. Today, however, I took my car in for the 20,000 mile service. Thankfully I casually asked about rotating the tires. Not covered! In fact only one tire rotation is covered - at 5,000 miles. I was skeptical about the 10,000 mile oil change interval. It's clear now that covered service is driven by the bottom line.

Has anyone done an assessment of the recommended service intervals and determined maintenance items that could/should be done more frequently?

By the way - I remain very pleased with this car (2.7T, 6-speed).
  • noshonosho Posts: 119
    Some 2.7T turbos seem to be hard on the oil (at least mine are) so I change (Jiify Lube at $60 for Mobile One) the oil at half the recommended period. So it's dealer one time and Jiffy the next. If your oil is clear at 5000 then don't change it. But if it's discolored, change it.

Personal opion/observation....
  • I just took home a 2.7T with all the toys, Sport, Premium, Convenience, tiptronic, Bose, heated seats. List $47100, did the summer special lease at $547/mon (6.6% tax), $3500 down, $24K residual, 42mon, 10K miles. This is my first ever lease so but I think it is fair deal.

Love the car, it replace my '96 Infinity I35T which my wife now drives (we are dumping her old minivan - so she is thrilled!).

I appreciate all the great insights that this site offers and it is only Links list now so I can check often.
  • hall42hall42 Posts: 12
    Hello out there! With no difference in cost, would you choose an A6 CVT or A6 Quattro (in Illinois)? Also, how is the navigation system?

Thanks for the input! (I'll let you all know what I'm up to later, hint: remember the oil leak)
  • In Illinois IMHO -- 100% certain I would choose quattro.

I have the navigation system and despite it's small screen and no moving map, it has been remarkable, 98+% reliable and very easy to use. I wouldn't leave home without it.

The reliable comment would be true of any system that uses the Bosch Maps -- I cannot comment on others. Audi and Merc use Boshc and the maps are updated annually, which helps, but from time to time the instruction says proceed to the nearest road when I think I am on what should be a recognized road. Doesn't happen often but it has happened a couple of times and hence the 98+% remark.