Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A6

Comments

• Options
    jazzjitjazzjit Member Posts: 14
    Hey Everyone,

I have been looking at the recent discussions and prices on the A6 and they seem extremely reasonable. My one question is that there is a 1000 dollar option for premium leather seats. I have been seeing this on the new A4 Cabriolet as well. What is the difference between the premium leather and normal leather the car comes standard with? Is it really worth a grand more for it? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
  • Options
    prodozeprodoze Member Posts: 4
    Auditor,
    Many thanks for some real numbers. I'd love a fax as well to 901-272-1717, if you're feeling generous. I heard that adaptive suspension and the 4.2 won't be available until January or February. Does anybody else have anything about those 2 issues ?
    Prodoze
  • Options
    auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    Chris:

To really get "apples to apples," I suggest you add $500 sport seats to the 3.2 you configured, since the 4.2's sport package includes them. This would bring your 3.2's total to $48,200, or $5,100 less than your 4.2's total of $53,300. To each total, of course, you'd then need to add the $720 delivery charge to be really complete.

Per the price sheets I sent you, it seems that neither a DVD-based NAV system or BOSE audio system are standard on either model. That is, the $1,500 DVD NAV system is an option on both models, and so is the BOSE system: on the 3.2, it's part of the $3,000 premium package; and, on the 4.2, it's part of a $1,300 BOSE option that also includes a satellite radio.
    As we both speculated a few weeks ago, it looks like the additional
    MSRP for the V8 engine is about $5K. To see if it's worth that to get
    a car that's about 1 second faster, maybe has a few more extra finer items inside and is a bit more "exclusive," perhaps we'll both have to test both cars, preferably one right after the other.

Let's keep the dialog going.

Bob
  • Options
    auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    Prodoze:

I'm about to fax you the two sheets. Let me know that you've gotten them.

Auditor (Bob)
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "How about the gas mileage factor? "

Well, at least from the standpoint of highway range, my understanding is that the AWD versions will have 21.1 gal. tanks.
    - Ray
    Hoping for EPA 25 highway for the 4.2L V8 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    genyagenya Member Posts: 7
    Johne (or whoever else is this far in the process),

Was there an option to lease the car? I am interested in leasing and your configuration is quite close to what you have ordered. Audi is running a lease special on 04 Model and I am trying to decide if the difference is worth it. I came across of one in Germany and clearly like the looks of 2005 much much better :)
  • Options
    linus66linus66 Member Posts: 9
    Copper- Yes- I was impressed as well. No loyalty bonus. The info I provided was a paste of dealer response via email to me- un-edited

Per discussions I have had with others I am engaging with 3 dealers, keeping all in the loop on what others are offering. Also trying to leverage the need to make room for 05's and the fact that it is end of month. Basic stuff, but every little bit helps.

I have not yet been to see the dealer- I hope to work a little more out of them in person- but seem happy with the price now
  • Options
    johnejohne Member Posts: 17
    My understanding is that the "standard" leather seats are leather "where you sit" and vinyl on the back and sides. I believe that the "premium" leather seats cost $1,000 for leather everywhere. I saw some "standard" seats on the Allroad and I don't think that I would notice the difference unless I was really discriminating. A friend of mine who has a Land Rover Discovery told me today that his vehicle does not come with a "premium" leather option and that his Discovery is only leather "where you sit". My reaction is it's not worth $1,000 extra...personal choice.

If you are considering an 04', I'm certain you could get a much cheaper payment because of incentives to get the 04's out the door and perhaps more favorable leasing rates. To me, it was worth it to pay more for the 05'.

In terms of a lease, I have not discussed or considered lease versus buy. I thought I'd evaluate that at decision time. I have a sense, though, that initially they may offer pretty good lease rates to help drive demand. My guess is that there will not be a big difference in the cost of money for a lease and a purchase although I might be missing someehing here. I generally lease because I tend to change cars every three years or so...I drive 20K miles/year. One could always compare Audi lease rates to local banks and leasing companies.
  • Options
    abqhudsonabqhudson Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know the weights for the 2005 A6? Thanks for any information.

Jim
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I will go in and try to see the difference in the leather for myself.
  • Options
    Johne - Do you typically buy (some / all) miles up front - or lease for 15KM/yr and pay overage at the end?
    Just curious. I drive roughly the same # of miles / year - and have not been able to make lease $$ #s work for me.
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Trading cars at least every 3 years, on average . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Johne

I myself also drive 20k 22k miles per year. leasing has never been that attractive because of the overages in miles. I also am curious if you pay for more up front.

Also, what is your justification on buying vs leasing. I realize there is an initial investment to buy in advance to keep the payment down but you get that back when you sell the car. On the lease however, you put money down you will never get back and usually pay a high payment per month.

What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    I am very interested in this topic re: Audi '05 A6.

I lease an '01 A6 2.8. My total payment is $429/month, 15k miles. Expires November of this year.

The original deal was $399/month for 36 months with 12k and I negotiated the extra 3k up front. Something about a barge accident and the dealership needing to liquidate their supply. I actually was going to buy, but that seemed like such a good deal (also, no $ up front as an Audi loyalty).

Well....I now drive over that 15k. 30 miles each way to work, about 400 total per week. I'm looking slightly north of 20k. Now.....

I have had some poor experiences with Audi's after that magical 50k. I also don't like to hang onto cars (exception, my Land Cruiser) much longer than 3-4 years. I WANT to lease, but fear that the leasing figures might be through the roof. If it's going to be close on a monthly basis (with the difference being I have to shell out several k for my down payment) I would purchase- or look at another vehicle.

Thoughts/sugggestions?
  • Options
    nuvolarinuvolari Member Posts: 1
    New to this list, I'm jumping right in with a response to bmwccc and his leasing questions.

I'm a sales professional for Audi in SoCal. Leasing vs. financing is an interesting topic. Bottom line is that you pay the same. Believe it or not, when you add your drive-off, any cash down, lease payments and residual, you come up with about the same amount as you do when you add your down payment and all your finance payments. The benefits of each are these:

If you like to get into a new car before your loan is paid off, a lease may be more beneficial to you. After, say, three years of a finance (unless you paid a big chunk down), you are just about breaking even on your investment, but you made higher payments every month than you would have on a lease. Purchasing makes sense if you want to keep that car for a long time. And don't forget, you may "own" the car at the end of a finance, but before it is up, the bank owns it, and after, you only own the depreciated retail value.

On a lease, if you make a down payment, it will lower your monthly payment. It is not lost money! If you know that you want to get out of that car in X months, then lease it for that term. Make a good judgement on the miles needed and keep the car in good shape. You will pay less each month vs. a finance, and at the end you just give it back. No resale hassle, and, as I said, lower payments during the lease. But if you decide it was a good car and you want to keep it, you can even negotiate with the bank to buy it at less than the agreed residual.

What does all that have to do with the new A6? Not much. But we have one 4.2 available for testdriving on August 10 and 11. You need to RSVP and we will reserve a 20-minute slot for you, like for all other customers. Email me at arno1 at sbcglobal dot net to set you up.
  • Options
    boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    What's the difference between natural leather, Valcona and Volterra leather?
  • Options
    "But we have one 4.2 available for testdriving on August 10 and 11. "

Very interesting.
    Is the going to be a US spec vehicle?
    Is this a AofA program - that other dealers might be participating in?
    (Meaning, is it worth contacting my dealers here in the Atlanta area?)
    - Ray
    Sadly, NOT going to be anywhere close to so cal on those dates . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Nuvolari

Thanks for the leasing vs. buying info. I am up in northern California so I don't think I would make any plans for a test drive with you down there.

However, when it comes down to buying the vehicle, where ever the best deal is is where I will go. So. cal is more competitive but I still need to hop onto a southwest flight but the Hwy1 drive back would be nice.

Thanks
  • Options
    Sorry to break up the current discussion going on but I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on how the new A6 will hold up against the big boys aka MB E320, BMW 530i, Lexus GS300, Jaguar S Type, etc. I know this is a very subjective question and answers will be biased but if you guys can look at this question from an objective standpoint i.e. performance, luxury, price, appeal, build quality, etc. that would be great. My concern for the A6 is that it seems like it will be a great car but I think people will still lean towards the Benz and BMW for sake of name appeal and overall reputability. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I haven't seen the new A6 yet so I can't say anything about the styling just yet other than I don't like it in pics.

What worries me about the new A6 is that in several magazine reviews so far they're mentioning that the car has a downright awful ride for a luxury "saloon". I'm having somewhat of a hard time believe this. Not sure if the European-spec cars will be different from what we'll get here, as most of the tests so far (even the Automobile Mag comparo) were Euro A6s.

I personally think Audi ruined the interior of the new A6 compared to the old. It just "looks" far to busy, which is funny because the A8's (same design) isn't busy (looking or funtionality wise) at all.

Both the E-Class and 5-Series will probably both experience a clear sales drop once all these other cars get to the market. The Infiniti M45 is my bet for the next star in the middle-weight class. For all the hype around the RL it looks too much like an Accord. The GS seems to be more of the same, but it is too early to really know. The STS and M35/45 are the ones with the most to gain, imo.

M
  • Options
    parrishparrish Member Posts: 10
    I defer to others like merc1 for the industry overview--I'm just a current shopper who test drove the 2004 TSline and oogled at the 2005 when it came here on tour. The A6 is a very nice car, especially if you like all wheel quattro drive which I do, don't mind the second tier luxury status of Audi relative to BMW and MB, and appreciate the relatively lower price--like 10k lower in some instances.

The 2004 SLine looked ideal on paper, but when I test drove it I was dissappointed in the handling. It was not crisp or responsive IMHO, so much so I could not see myself buying one.

Regarding the new 2005, it will all be in the handling in my opinion, which I haven't tried yet as we could not test drive the displayed model. We don't like the front grill, and although we can't recall details because so many others were swarming over the car, overall our (my wife and I) recollection is that it is a significant improvement on the inside, with very nice outside styling other than the grill.

It is hard to make overall comparisons, I think, as the decision matrix on these cars is huge. And, what may be a show-stopper for me is a non-issue to someone else, like my wife for instance, and visa-versa.

John
  • Options
    I've read many reviews about the 2005 A6, all I keep hearing is the ride is very stiff and bumpy. Is this true?
  • Options
    langelange Member Posts: 2
    I live in Germany and am getting ready to order a US spec A6. Concerning the question of the A6 vs MB E320/BMW530i; if you can read German and go to the web site of Auobild.de you can see a head-to-head comparison. The magazine rated the A6 slightly better than both and said when the quatro version comes out in Europe it will solidify Audi's lead even more. P.S. When I priced out my U.S.spec car it came to around $47,000. The same car for the German market came out to slightly over 60,000 euros or $75,000 at current exchange rates.
  • Options
    bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    In europe, Audi is highly thought of. North America is a different story likely due to the old 60min story. They just never established themselves again.

I very much believe that Audi offers a better car for the money short term over mercedes and BMW. The fit and finish interior is great.

I have a Biturbo 2.7 allroad with 6speed and love this car. I have owned Mercedes for many years and owned them as well as leased them. They held their value, but they are not the great cars they used to be. I never would own a biturbo car, and leased this one.

I have leased many many times and so long as you hit your target milage your doing just fine. I had a ML 320 and with a change is driving habits we really blew it. I had to cut a check for 4k to get out at lease end, but if I had bought it, and was selling it at the same time, It WOULD HAVE BEEN THE SAME NET-NET EFFECT! That helped. We drove the hell out of it, and paid the price either way.

This new a6 model talked about here is just great. I deliberatly will get the new model in two years. I enjoy the 03' build quality on the allroad and got it after a few years on the market to get the bugs out and price down. I expect the new platform to do well and might have some bugs, but thats the small price to get the latest and greatest. I think Audi's sloped pricing is interesting. It gives them no reason to discount, and when prices do go up, then can negotiate back down and nobody gets feelings hurt.

Mercedes and the Infiniti's interiors are jewell like in appearence and small touches like over use of chrome and over detailing gives it a fine delicate appearence. E-classes have become a favorite of succesful women. Nothing wrong, but when it was time to get my new E-class last year I bugged out at the last minute. Something about the delicate nature of the interior bothered me. I loved the old heavy feel of mercedes and my favorite was the 89' 420SEL. I replaced it with e430 sport and just never loved the car. It was fast, but little fun. If not fun, and not the heavy vault like feel, I see no reason to have a mercedes. The allroad is not as fast, but the quattro and 6sp are better for handling. The build quality in the engine compartment cannot compare to mercedess, but the interioir is quieter and more comfortable. The high tech look is subjective, you either like it or not. The conservitive mercedes dash was always fine with me. I have grown to like the cherry red audi look, but not blown away by it either. Headliner on the allroad is first rate. not fuzzy like in the E-class. allroad was $43k, 2001 new was $53k!

I did not mean to turn this into a comparison, but I am quite fond of the Audi. I just read that Audis in north america have a 70% Male ownership of whom buys the cars. 60% elsewhere.

When I read that it I thought it interesting but no surprise. It might not have a "Hemi", but they know their market and don't want to move away from it with the new A6. I am dissapointed it might not have a 6sd, and am not sure If I will get the 3.2 or 4.2. I also read this car is dialed in as more luxury than sport.

I will consider and look at the 5 bmw for sport, and the audi for obvious reasons. The new transmission sounds great for an Auto.

I have 2 years to consider, and also need to see what they do to the a6 avent and if they will continue an allroad.
  • Options
    ron3ron3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the rear window tinted on my 2002 A8 and it has interfered with the AM radio. Any ideas on antennas/ ampilfiers or any other solutions?
    Thanks,
    Ron
  • Options
    Did you use a metal based window tint? One that used a "foil"?
  • Options
    pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    Has anyone heard if the incentives that AofA is offering will go away soon? A dealer mentioned to me that I have to move by Aug. 4. Doesn't make sense as there are still plenty of 2004 A6's around. Was wondering what others have heard.

thanks
  • Options
    coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    A dealer told me that also. I think they're bluffing.
  • Options
    mikeman2727mikeman2727 Member Posts: 4
    Now that it's getting very close to the time when dealers will be getting the new 2005 Audi A6s, they want to sell their 2004 models. I live in Maryland and want to know how low the dealers will be willing to go when selling the 2004 Audi A6 2.7T S line. I know they want to get rid of the cars quickly but am not sure how low to start bargaining. If anyone has any ideas or opinions, please respond.
  • Options
    pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    In NJ, the dealers started at a price of $40k on cars with msrp of close to $46k. From there the two dealers that I've dealt with have not moved very far. Maybe a couple hundred bucks (it's kind of hard to determine because I'm negotiating with a trade in involved). Good luck and let us know what you get.
  • Options
    dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
  • Options
    dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    I don't feel like typing that long message again, so here is the abbreviated version of what 2005 luxury car I would buy with my own money.

Six Cars: Acura RL, Audi A6, BMW 530i, Infiniti M45, Lexus GS, Mercedes E320

(best to worst)
    Exterior Styling: E320, RL, A6, GS, M45, 530i
    Interior Styling: RL, GS, M45, E320, A6, 530i
    Value: RL, A6, GS, M45, E320, 530i
    Quality: GS, RL, M45, A6, 530i, E320
    Fun To Drive: 530i, E320, RL, M45, GS, A6

Base on those criteria, the order of finish would be: RL, GS, E320, M45, A6, 530i.

Just my opinion. Let the debate begin.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I normally would say an E320 for me too, but I'd wait for the 2006 E350 (268hp) model. It can't come soon enough because come spring next year the E320 and 530i will be seriously outgunned under the hood.

The E-Class remains my favorite in this field. I liked the 1998-2004 A6 more than I did the 1996-2002 E during some of those years, like when the 2000 A6 4.2 came out. However this new A6 doesn't do it for me compared to the new E-Class.

M
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    They are NOT bluffing -- but the whole story is usually a little more than what is being said.

The current (operative word) incentives are set to expire, just like the ones before them did. There almost certainly will be new incentives -- even if they knew the details why would they share them now? They probably wouldn't and AoA probably keeps tight lips about "next month's" incentives until it becomes next month, if you get my drift.

And, the incentive from AoA is critical to the dealer -- if the MSRP is $46+K and the asking price is $40+K, you can bet that is due to AoA not the dealer's own ability to price that low.

So although there may be a better deal next Tuesday, there is only the "known" deal available for the dealer to quote. And, if you wait there is at least a chance that the new deal will not be as good as the current deal (even though this seems unlikely).

So, if you were AoA, wouldn't you keep your dealers in the dark? I mean, c'mon -- if they dropped the price another thou and they sold out in August, what would they do in September and October, the new cars will hardly be plentiful before December.
  • Options
    I have yet to see the new RL, Lexus, Infititi or the Audi in person. The audi is radical, and often radical designs look better in person.
    I am bias toward German cars.

The Mercedes C-S-and E class all look too similar and build quality is down.

The new BMW is growing on me, but I must drive it to really determine it. BMW has kept up its standard while Benz has fallen. My trusted mechanic of many years has told me that Mercedes and Volvo have problems early on that he never ever used to see, and thinks only BMW is not lowering the quality. He does not work on Audis.

The e-class has never been fun to drive, that belonging to BMW.
  • Options
    tommtomm Member Posts: 31
    u guys dont live in the north east. the a6 is the best (esp for the money!).
  • Options
    mikeman2727mikeman2727 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking abot buying a 2004 Audi A6 2.7T S line. I have heard that Audi A6's are not very reliable and tend to break very often. I dont understand why such a high class car would be made so poorly. Does any one have experience with unreliable 2004 A6's? If so, tell me if it is worth it to buy (not lease) a 2004 Audi A6 2.7T S line. Thanks!
  • Options
    I have heard the same things. . . . My wife and I have currently our 26th and 27th Audis (hers a 2003 TT 225HP coupe, mine a 2003 allroad 6spd).

We never have had one out of warranty. There are reasons that this makes sense for us: #1 we like to have "current" technology; #2 European cars -- practically speaking ALL cars -- are breathtakingly expensive to repair out of warranty; and, #3 we usually lease for about 3 years and "early out" (by 3 to 9 months (based on loyalty deals du jour).

All mecanical things break. My biggest problem with cars is their tires. The UHP and Max Performance tires that come on these Sporty Sedans don't last very long. I basically think every mile beyond 15,000 is a gift from Audi or Goodyear. Our Audis have had some niggling problems -- not having any other car brand since 1988 (our 1 BMW), I am probably NOT the best person to evaluate "reliability." Generally speaking, I want my cars to be more reliable.

Generally speaking, our Audis have had -- in our opinions -- few problems. My 2000 and 2001 Audi A6 4.2's went through in total combined (including the factory originals) 9 sets of brake rotors and pads. My 33,000 mile old allroad is on its first set, my wife's A4's and TT's and 100's and 5000's were in this respect flawless. The 2004's are probably THE most well screwed together Audis ever and the SLine A6 (too bad it can't be had in manual transmission guise) is probably right now, the biggest bargain PERIOD in this class.

The fact that the new for '05 A6 will -- from a chassis dynamics perspective -- blow the current A6's away, is really not material price-wise, since the new A6's will not be heavily discounted and incentivized (is that a word?). Moreover, you can get an AUDI extended warranty to 100,000 miles which will protect you from catastrophic expenses (of course there still is that tire issue, but that may be a personal problem of mine.)

If I had a 2000 or 2001 Audi product, the lure of the deep unhealable discounts on this fine A6 Sline would certainly tempt me -- big time.

Fear not the rumors pertaining to reliability -- the car is a blast to drive, to my eyes does NOT look dated and can be had with all the toys to keep it "fresh" for some years to come.

This, to repeat, may be one of the last big bargains for a few years.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please visit High End Luxury Marques to compare those models. We're trying to stay focused on the upcoming A6 here. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Honestly if the A6 can hold its own in terms of handling, drive comfort, and reliability, I feel it will definately beat out the other competitors. We already know Audi makes the finest interiors on the market and with everything else improved, it is a win-win car. I dont know if you guys noticed this or not, but it seems to me that everyone and their mothers owns a BMW or MB. IMO, these cars have lost their illustrious appeal and class that they once used to hold. Owning the new A6 will add you to an exclusive class because 1. It is a totally redesigned car that very few people have seen and 2. You wont see too many of them on the road right away.
  • Options
    sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    The A6 is going to have tough time, the all new RL with one of the most advanced 4wd systems created appears as does the upcoming all new Lexus GS 4wd and Infiniti M35/M45 with advanced 4wd systems. These cars will blast the Audi's in reliablity it's weakest link. That's one reason why there's so few on the road. Audi's gotta lot more important things to worry about than pretty interiors.
  • Options
    Audi:

Anecdote: super majority of Audis are leased for equal to or less than 42 months.

Anecdote: repeat % of Audi lease-holders re-leasing Audis has risen in recent years.

Audi is praised by the major car magazines, makes "lists," wins or places in the top three of multi-car comparo's time and again.

Is lauded for having "the best interiors" and world class fit and finish.

Has 100% maintenance and warranty protection for 50,000 miles or 4 years and can have "Audi sponsored" Platinum warranty extension to 100,000 miles for "a mere pittance."

Is, according to Consumer's Report and this that and the other customer initial satisfaction lists, NOT even in the top 50% -- yet Audi sales are, globally, on a tear (and the 50,000 mile Audi advantage is hardly a global feature).

Possible conclusion -- although ample evidences of Audis somewhat less than stellar reliability are hardly secret -- the car's performance and "driving experience" trump "the weakest link." Put another way, given that 39 months is the most popular lease term for an Audi and given that this financially shields most owners from any $ burden of maintaining them, Audi owner/drivers become repeat Audi owner/drivers because the "driving pleasure" obscures the reliability issue so many (non-Audi drivers) go on about.

Having said all of this, I fundamentally am in agreement with sapparo's points. And, Audi's "pretty interiors" have been in part one of the causes for their global sales records (even with a recession here and in Europe nagging them, even with the "all new" A6 and A3, 2005.5 A4, S8, RS4 and A8/SWB not even out yet.)

Audi is on a tear 'cause, practically speaking the reliability issue is a non-starter (obviously on this side of the Atlantic with the Audi Advantage and apparently elsewhere as evidenced by their record sales figures.)

The new RL is very advanced with its AWD system, and that in part is why it is still on my (Mr. Audi-loyalty Poster Child, 2004) shopping list. But, for all its technical cleverness, the Acura system is, fundamentally, an FWD biased system which, FWIW, is the type that is derided for being a "performance poser." Audi gets a "hall pass" as its Torsen system is, for the time being, at least, a 50-50 (neutral) system. But even Audi has revealed its intentions to become AWD with an RWD bias in the next iteration of quattro. So, don't hang your hat for too long on the technical superiority of Acura's AWD (SH-AWD system). I, for one, think it is a pretty neat system, but the Acura, thus far is unproven and is unlikely to become thought of as a sport-lux car (as is the Audi), rather, it will probably win its customers over by being lux-sport.

Despite previous comments, I suspect that many will be drawn to these brands based on style, performance, luxury and "value" (reliability, I contend will be an also-ran criteria). And, those that are drawn to one brand or another will have certain criteria dominate others.

At this juncture I think the RL will be a high value luxury vehicle with some sporting characteristics and SH-AWD. The Audi will almost certainly focus first on the sport side of the equation, then the luxury side.

Of course, this is, as usual, just my opinion.
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Test drove a Euro spec 3.2 manual FWD yesterday. The car was stratos blue, no leather, no wood trim, kind of spartan... I was surprised that they would use this for demos around the country. Overall, though, I liked the look in person. The nose IMHO is not excessive, but distinctive. The drive was really nice. Stiff but also smooth, with great acceleration. I had opportunity to play with the DVD nav system (which I've never seen before) and I felt it to be intuitive to use and actually may like it. The dealers here are trying to get the cars to arrive configured without the front license plate opening as it would certainly look better and police rarely ticket for lack of a front plate...

The dealership is, as others above have been saying, getting 10 cars (all 3.2 AWD's)in Nov and then reportedly won't be getting any more until Feb! The 1st 10 cars are factory preconfigured with Conv, Prem, Cold, nav, XM sat, 17" wheels, advanced key, and parktronic (?not sure of their thinking).

The latest prices were exactly as stated in earlier posts, so it seems the numbers are firm. I was a little frustrated that it would take until at least Feb to special order a car, given that it is touted as being released in "fall" of this year. But I was very impressed with the car's appearance and drive. Very fun yet luxurious. Definitely a car to consider...
  • Options
    how did you find the MMI? Was it easy to use? Is it easy to set destination for the nav? Thanks.
  • Options
    hjcanterhjcanter Member Posts: 31
    I have seen the new A6 and the SWB A8. Both MMIs look and feel the same. When I test drove the SWB A8, I programed in my address with no problem. Very simple to use but it feels so different that the touch screens I have used in my old MDX and my wife's Lexus GX. I feel that the touch screen is a little quicker to use. Maybe after I use it for awhile, it will be as quick to use.
  • Options
    Mark

Nice description, I wondered why the 39 month lease so attractive over a 36 month lease etc?

I as you, have decided to do the 2005.5 A4 if it is outfitted properly as my next purchase over the A6. Load it up and it will be a bargain, faster than the A6 and enough room for work. And for the first time I am going to lease.

Also, what is the loyalty Audi lease I keep hearing about?

Thanks
  • Options
    39 months must have something to do with the residual and reality and the payment for the 39 month version is often more attractive, especially when "everybody" knows that Audi will do almost anything to get you out of your 39 month lease a few months early (that's part of the Audi Loyalty thing).

Audi Loyalty has gone so far as to forgive UP TO 12 months of a lease, waive one month's up front payment and the sec dep. Sometimes there is a "cash bonus" which is used as dollars off of the new car.

There probably is a conquest bonus too, but this, since I have had 27 Audis never comes up.

Now, with respect to the A4 vs A6, you are correct, the A4 for 2005.5 looks like about 85% of an A6 for about 80% of the price (plus zippier performance and better economy).

But, I reserve the right to test drive the A6, A4, RL and yes even the Chryco 300C AWD and/or SRT-8.

Said it before, it will be tough NOT to stick with Audi, since despite the moaning and hand-wringing about reliability (often from folks who never even owned one, let alone dozens), Audi and its cars have been "berry berry good to my wife and me!"

Once again, just my opinion though.

And, once again, I do wish my cars [Audis] were more reliable. Yet, having said that, the issues I have had with them have been, as they say, mostly "nits."
  • Options
    tmanlawtmanlaw Member Posts: 17
    My 2001 A6 2.7T is coming up on 48 months. It's been problem free. Because it has only 30,000 miles, I plan to keep it for at least a few more years, so I'm looking to purchase an extended warranty. If anyone has had some good experience with a particular warranty company, please provide the name of the company. Thank you.
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Boomsama,

The MMI is very intuitive. To set a destination, you begin turning the dial to select the characters in the street name. The computer begins narrowing down the choices with each letter you pick until the only remaining choice is the one you want. I think it will be very easy to use, especially with experience. It seems as intuitive as using the mouse on a computer IMO.
  • Options
    Sounds good. One other thing, what's up with the power operated glovebox? Is that as easy to use as a normal glove box?
  • Options
    Guys, check out this video that was just released on Autospies.

Good watching!

http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3205&ca- tegoryId=8