Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Over this past weekend I took our 2000 LX on a somewhat long trip for the first time (235 miles each way). On the trip away, 3 different times the little key in the bottom right of the instrument panel lit up. Each time the engine sort of just revved for an instant, then it resumed normal operation. This happened once on the return trip. Have any of you experienced this before? Unsettling.

Then, after driving on a bump road, I stopped to get a bite to eat. When I went to re start the car, the car was dead. Totally dead. Somehow, the battery cable popped off. I re connected it and the car started without problems after that (but I did have the one immobilize problem afterward).
  • Options
    daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    We have 5500 miles on our 2000 MPV (purchased Nov 25, 2000). It is my wife's so I don't drive it very often. But, this weekend 2/25/1, coming home from church I noticed the engine was reving. This was as we pulled out of the parking lot and I went to accelerate and gave it gas, the
    engine reved and we didn't increase in speed. I looked at the Tach and it definite went from about 1900 rpms to about 2700 rpm with no increase in MPH. Almost as though the tranny slipped into neutral. I looked at the gear selector and I was in drive with OD on. I eased off the gas and it felt like it went into gear. I then gave it gas and it reved again. I eased off and it caught gear again. I accelerated slowly and it was okay. All this happened in a distance of about 1 mile. Temperature of around 35 F. I didn't notice if the little key, bottom right, lit up or not. My concern: This is approximately what happened on my 86 Honda Accord when it had about 40000 miles on it, which I believe was the prelude (pun intended) of an $1800 tranny rebuild at 80000 miles. Any comments, observations or opinions welcomed.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Deffinitely sounds like a tranny issue. Check the trans fluid per the owners manual(ie. engine warm, running in nuetral). Make sure the level is correct and also look to see if the fluid looks burnt. It should be a clear red color, not black. Either way, you should make your dealer aware of the problem if it persists.

:)
  • Options
    The first time mine did it, I didn't really notice the red light. But since I was watching for something later in the trip, I noticed the red light on the second, third and fourth times. I too am not the primary driver and my wife really is not attentive to things like this so I don't know if it has been happening at other times. She is bringing it in for service tomorrow. I'll let you know what they tell us.

Do you have other keys on your key ring that also have a smart key like the MPV key? I am wondering if that has something to do with it. I have my 2000 Eclipse key near the MPV key
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Ooh, that's a no no...never keep two keys with immobiliser chips in them next to each other, even if they belong to the same vehicle. The computer can get confused; this warning should be in your owner's manual.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    If the problem were the keys being near one another, does that mean the MPV key is permanently damaged? They aren't directly adjacent, just on the same large key ring.
  • Options
    No, I don't think that the keys would be damaged, but keep them apart to avoid confusing the engine computer. Yes, leaving both on the same key ring would be something that you don't want to do.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    I have also experienced the free revving engine, while "in gear," several times. I called the dealer to inform them about it; a service advisor claimed he had never heard of such a thing happening with the '00 MPV and suggested I bring mine in for them to check.

In the meantime, I checked my ATF level while it was warm, with the engine idling; the level and color of the fluid was fine. Hmm...I don't know if that is good news or bad. Anyway, if service does anything with the transmission, I was thinking of taking this as an opportunity to switch to Red Line Synthetic. But which one?:

I have a '00 ES with the Four Seasons package; I live in North Georgia where it gets hot in the summer and has some periods of frigid weather in the winter. So should I choose Red Line Synthetic ATF, Synthetic D4 ATF, or Synthetic High-Temp ATF? Also, where would I find a least-costly source of Red Line synthetic ATF? [K-Mart?; Pep Boys?; Home Depot?]

A prompt response would be appreciated as I am bringing my van in for evaluation on Monday morning.

BTW, has anybody else had their driver's sunvisor vanity come apart? The flip-lid just pulled out of its frame (which splintered). I hope this is an easy part to replace; I assume it would be covered under warranty.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    otishotish Member Posts: 59
    I can't help you with the oil question but we did have our sunvisor vanity break also. They replaced the whole visor under warranty (done in under 30 minutes). I actually think that clipping our garage door opener on the vanity accidently one day may have popped th vanity out a bit and that caused the break but I couldn't say for sure.
  • Options
    Why clip your garage door opener to the sun visor? The roof console has a pocket designed for your opener. It even comes with mounting foam!

• Options
    blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    I don't know if this is the case, but us owners with the sunroof don't have the upper console.
  • Options
    The MPVs with a sunroof don't have a roof console, so I too clip my [lightweight] garage door opener to the sun visor. But my garage door opener is pretty small, and I keep it attached at the lateral end of the visor, so I don't think it is related to my visor's vanity breaking.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I'm using the D4 ATF in our van, because of the colder temps here, but it is supposed to work well in high operating temps also. I'd suggest going to their site (http://www.relineoil.com), and check that out for your temperature range. I'd imagine Atlanta gets both hot and cold, so the D4 ATF might work also, but consult them for sure. The people at Redline know their stuff.

As for where to purchase the oils, the redline site has a good page for dealers nation-wide...I buy mine from my independent mechanic, and the prices aren't bad (not cheap either).

Good luck on your tranny issue Dr, I'm interested in seeing what the skinny is.

--java
  • Options
    That was http://www.redlineoil.com, not relineoil.com...sorry

--j

• Options
    bamcoreybamcorey Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2001 MPV last week. It has 480miles on it> This morning, in the middle of a blizzard, my husband backed the car out of the driveway and shut the engine off. When he went to move it back the key would not turn. Tried both keys, no go. We have moved the wheel, tried to release the steering column to get the keys to turn. Nothing. Is this an immobilize problem? Key problem.(Both sets??) Help! The van is in the street and the snowplows are coming. Is this MPV haunted!!!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Keep wiggling the wheel in both directions while turning the key (gently). If that still doesn't do it, then perhaps the anti-theft rod from the steering wheel is out of adjustment or is damaged....

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Your MPV comes with roadside assistance for the term of the warranty. Give them a call!
  • Options
    eusnlleusnll Member Posts: 10
    This question is addressed to longtime MPVers ( TB ,Java ...) My Dealer has stuck his name plate(FREEMAN) exactly over the MAZDA label on the tailgate making it a cluster and it looks bad. How do I get it off without spoiling the silver finish of my MPV . All help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    You may want to look through Removing stickers, labels, decals... if no one here has tackled them on their Mazda.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    My top three weapons of decal/sticky stuff removal are: Heat Gun, WD-40 and lighter fluid. A good heat gun will peel just about any decal or sticker right off and won't damage the paint unless you get it really really really hot. WD-40 is the wonder tool in a can. It'll remove about anything and is safe for painted surfaces. Gets bugs and tar off great too. Lighter fluid is for the worst of the worst stickies...watch out because it is (of course) flamable.

--java
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I had similar problem awhile ago. At some point I decided to test how difficult it would be to turn wheels with the engine stalled (i.e. without the engine assisiting in steering). I don't know why but I just forgot that when the key is in "Lock" position, the steering wheel is locked and cannot be turned.

I tried to turn steering wheel in both sides with no apparent luck (though I didn't twist too hard... Just love the van too much :-) I was impressed how hard it was to turn the wheels (no wonder why!!!). Then I decided to start the engine and try again for comparison, but alas! I couldn't turn the key. I remembered something about jiggling the steering wheel in case the key is stuck, so I tried to turn it in one side, then tried the key... No luck. Tried to turn the steering in another direction, same result. I got the manual, reread that part but still couldn't figure it out... I spent about 30 minutes trying to revive the van and almost gave up... Then I just realized that I had to turn the steering wheel from side to side gently WHILE trying to turn the key. That worked beautifully and it was very easy... Now I'm not going to make the same mistake...

P.S. Everybody gets in something as stupid as this from time to time, I guess...
  • Options
    I hope that the plows didn't bury the van before you could get it out of the way (maybe they're still digging it out?).

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    5000 miles on my 2001 - finally have a complaint:
    The ashtray is too small.....
  • Options
    Then you should serously start thinking about health risks that smoking poses :-)
  • Options
    badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know if you can pull out the cigarette holder part of the ashtray? I don't smoke and would never allow it in my car so would like to use that area for change and lipgloss :-) Also can I get a cover like is on the power outlet in back for the front, that lighter is a potential problem with kids playing with it.

J
  • Options
    Yes and Yes...

The ashtray lifts right out of the cup holder but the lid goes with it.

Your local Pep Boys, Wal-Mart, etc. should have a little plastic insert with a no smoking symbol on it. If you prefer to keep it Mazda, they sell a plastic plug for about $2 under part number GD7A-66-298A. The only problem all of these is that they are not tethered like the one in the rear of the vehicle.

• Options
    gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    I too had problems with my 2 sun visors flip-lids: they broke. Found it's made of cheap plastic and when used under very cold temperatures they tend to break. Will have these replaced...

My right sliding door bangs a little on top of door frame. Had this been checked and adjusted but now it's harder to open...

Silver (find these annoying but still pleased) Driver
  • Options
    gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    How come this topic not listed under the «Mazda MPV Club» ?

Silver (just askin') Driver
  • Options
    Hmmmmm, good question Silver (haven't seen you in a long time) Driver. Drew, hook us up my man?

8-)

--javadoc
  • Options
    Will do...thanks, I didn't notice it either.

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    My month-old MPV has developed a rotten-egg smell. It only occurs when the van is warmed up from a couple of miles of driving, and is only noticeable when I'm standing still. When I'm moving, there is no noticeable smell inside the cabin (being driven away by the wind?), and if I let it sit long enough to cool down, the smell dissipates.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? A FOF has suggested it might be my catalytic converter gone bad. Possible on so new a car?

Aside from this, the van a delight in too many ways to talk about on this site.

Thanks--

RJR
  • Options
    It's definitely the Cat. New or not. But why? I don't know...
  • Options
    rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the confirmation. So am I doing any damage to anything(other than my nostrils) driving it? Repair ASAP or when I decide I can't stand the stench?

Thanks
    RJR
  • Options
    Well, I'd get it replaced ASAP. You don't want it to clog up and cause other damage. Why wait? if it's a 2001, you'll get a free service loaner while they do the warranty work.

• Options
    Since the "transmission slipping" phenomenon has only occurred a handful of times in my '00 MPV ES's 19484 mi travels, I wasn't expecting the service department to be able to reproduce the problem. As such, they are still clueless about it and likely to remain that way until it starts happening on a regular basis (or until someone here in the Town Hall provides me with more info to convey to them).

Although I have purchased a case of the Red Line D4 Synthetic ATF, I was afraid of it being wasted if they changed the fluid now and then discovered the transmission needs rebuilding or replacing in the near future. It's not likely that the synthetic ATF might have cured the transmission-slipping symptoms, is it?

Thanks for any knowledge you're willing to share.
  • Options
    We brought the 2000 MPV in yesterday. Apparently I had some loose wire going into the fuse box that was causing the engine immobilizer light to go on, which resulted in the engine literally cutting out for an instant. You'll know you have this problem if when you are driving you see the key symbol light up in your instrument cluster. The car sort of revved like the tranny was slipping but when I saw the light go on for a split second, I didn't think that it was the tranny. Dealer said it was good we brought it in because it could cut engine off at any time. I wish he were able to explain it better but that was what he said. He also suggested the diagnostic test recalled the codes.
  • Options
    Bill,

Please keep us updated on what they can find out. This problem has been already mentioned here before. I know that it was you who first brought it but some others seemed to have experienced this also.

Just hope this won't turn out to be a very common problem with 2000+ MPV...
  • Options
    I'm not sure I'll have more to add. The dealer said he fixed the problem. Of course we'll monitor it and let you know if we have any other issue. Part of the problem here is that this was the first long trip we took and it was only then that I noticed it. On top of that, the MPV is the wife's car and she really doesn't pay attention to things like that, although with any luck she now will (though I not I'm usually not lucky).
  • Options
    motherof3motherof3 Member Posts: 7
    We recently purchased a "happy" little red 2001 ES MPV and are quite pleased. However I have one question regarding closing the sunroof. Halfway through closing the roof it stops and I must release the button and reapply pressure to the button once more. Does anyone know if this is normal? Thanks.
  • Options
    It is normal. It's a safety feature.
  • Options
    Sorry, I have to chuckle at that safety feature, it makes me laugh (gufffahhhh). Where's the safety when you're closing the roof in a hurry when it starts raining, or all "hail" breaks loose from the sky, or a rabid, crazed flock of pigeons is "bombing" you? .

--java (hopped up on a carmel machiatto) doc
  • Options
    Doc! It's time for your medication!
  • Options
    Yeah, well, Mrs. Javadoc's envious of all those 'roof equipped MPVs, since it's the only feature she wanted that we didn't end up with...maybe that's why she wants to drive Rolf when he's outa the shop...sun's out. It has that same "safety" feature, as well as an auto-open/close feature, except it does stop half way closed (open for those optimists), for safety and all that. I'd just hate to get seagull "cheese" on my Oakleys, or worse yet...in my mochas.

-jd, in search of an IV for my coffee
  • Options
    dbs2001dbs2001 Member Posts: 46
    I, too, am envious. Our 01 ES doesn't have the sunroof because my wife didn't want it (& it's hers!). 2 months old, 1k miles & no problems other than the door ajar light stays on unless we slam the hatch. We will be taking it back to the dealer to adjust that.

Dennis
  • Options
    Hi Dennis,

Your dealer should be able to adjust that latch sensor on your next service visit. Glad you like your MPV.

--j
  • Options
    motherof3motherof3 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks! The sunroof is one of the primary reasons that I chose Mazda and I absolutely love it! Our MPV has everything on it but the GFX package...a little too "funky" for me, I prefer a bit more streamlined look. Not to mention the way I drive I'd be bottoming out left and right.
  • Options
    morrish1morrish1 Member Posts: 8
    We too love our MPV, but the dealers are seriously lacking in experience and knowledge.

We bought ours 1 year and a month ago, currently 12,000 miles. Since then, we've had a broken sun visor, screeching sun roof, defective tie rod ends, and the latest, a sticking throttle when it's cold. The dealers cold never repair any mechanical issue until we proved that there wa an issue. Usually from other owners or owners groups. Almost invoked the lemon law on the tie rod issue. The cosmetic stuff was fixed right away (I guess because they were visible). The throttle issue is ongoing and the dealer can't seem to find the problem.

This was our first Japanese car since the early 80's and have been suprised at the service quality. It's a shame the dealers can't match the quality that most of the Japanese cars are built to.

Regarless of dealer issues, the MPV is a solid value.
  • Options
    alex76alex76 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if the on board computer keeps the code in memory after the engine lights turns off?, this happened to me on my MPV 2000. About three weeks ago the van took a little more time than usual for the engine to start, then right away the engine light turned ON and stayed that way for about two days, once the engine light turned OFF it never came back ON again. I took it to the dealer and they said that once the engine light turns off the code is lost, the engine light needs to be ON in order to read the code.

Regards
  • Options
    maxanimaxani Member Posts: 2
    I had experienced a similar problem. The "Rotten Egg" smell lasted a few months after purchasing my MPV. The smell would come and go. When I took my van in to Mazda for it's first service check up, I was told by the technician that this scent sometimes appeared in new vehicles. (This is my first- Purchased in November 2000.) He also said that certain chemicals are being burned off, hence the occasional stench. Currently, the scent has gone for good, I hope!!
  • Options
    thl777thl777 Member Posts: 1
    My wife also noticed a strange smell started after several months of ownership, I will describe the smell closer to "burning rubber" coming from the vent area. Took it to the dealer two times, they think its spilled motor oil from my 1st oil change, they steamed cleaned the engine and add refresher to the vent. system but the smell still remain (comes & goes), usually stronger when standing still in a confined area (garage). Any other suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.