Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    I refuse to believe that I will actually get a ding on my brand new MPV. Yesterday was too close for comfort.

I have to confess that I dinged my last brand new car, '88 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon. Granted I was a mere child then ;) but I was driving to work and being use to driving compact cars, drove into the parking garage as always and forgot I was driving what I felt to be a boat and I....ummm....got hung up on the ummmmmm....garage wall. I only scratched and tore off any and all trim on the right side of the car from the ummmmmm.....front right fender to the right rear wheel well. {=o ( I forget how much it cost to fix but I can tell you that my husband was not happy with me. I am still married to him though and that's a good thing! :)

In any event, there's my true confession and now I must go and knock on some wood! Can't use my head anymore since I got turned into a real person.

Lsinc (AKA: Feeling ill trouble maker)
  • Options
    tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    ...dings, I think you have to go back to April 2000 on this board and read about my delivery and then the trip to the outlet mall the following day. I think you will find it here

tboner1965 "Honda Odyssey vs 2000 Mazda MPV" Apr 9, 2000 1:01am

and here tboner1965 "2000 MPV Cruisers Club" Apr 10, 2000 12:07am

Then there was the whole zoo parking lot incident thing sometime in the fall of 2000, IIRC.

TB
  • Options
    I'll just post the image here...

TB
  • Options
    Tboner, what a saga. My "True Confessions" don't have any pictures. I didn't want to be reminded of what I did. ;) So tell me, did the dealership ever completely fix the dings they put in or was it more like pulling teeth?

Now, my memory isn't great (no comments please). You are still driving the '00 MPV in the picture? If so, just wanted to say, I love the color! I wanted the blue but they didn't have one with the options I wanted. I have the Silver which I really like too.

Why Tboner 1965? Just curious as I feel that was an awesome year. I was born in March of '65 and the world became a much happier place. =o ) Atleast Mr. Lsinc thinks so.

Ok, no comments.

Lsinc
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I remember "Attack of the Killer Zoo Gate!"b
  • Options
    (shh, don't tell the hosts) first as tboner and then when I had a bit of halfzheimers (I'm not totally gone yet) I couldn't remember my PW, so I signed up as tboner1965. I've since recovered my memory, so I just go by my original handle.

I know, you are only supposed to have one handle, so I hope no-one is confused by all of this.

TB
    Well, I do have more than one computer, so can't I have more than one screen name???
  • Options
    with me. Just don't ever step out of line. Sometimes true confessions can lead to blackmale. ;o ) So beware!

That was one scarey looking "Zoo Gate" and I really think it's worthy of a novel! =o $

Hehehehehehehehehehe!

Lsinc
  • Options
    birdlady1birdlady1 Member Posts: 5
    We're wondering if we should consider pwr
    doors on the LX MPV. Has anyone had problems with them? Are they worth it? We're becoming snowbirds next winter with 3 birdcages.(No kids) Thanks for any info. Town Hall has been enlightening.
  • Options
    I have the automatic sliders on my MPV. Have had no problems with them at all. I have 2 children, 10 and 7. The sliders get constant use and abuse. I have had my MPV since 4/05/03.

I love the auto sliders even when I'm alone. It's nice when it's raining and you have something you want to get into the van quick. I just walk towards the van, hit the remote button and the door is opened and waiting. Even with a full crew of people just having it opened up so everyone can climb in is great.

I haven't heard anything problematic about them yet and again have had no probs. myself.

Good Luck!

Lsinc
  • Options
    tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Regrading the cold: Try Echinacea with Zinc made by Nature's Resource. We get them at Walgreens Drug stores. These are super good for sore throats plus they taste good. Otherwise lots of Vit C and E...

1965 wow, I just got out of EE school. I have a daughter the same age...

TJ
  • Options
    We didn't get the power doors. We are snowbirds(acutally summer birds, summer is winter in Phoenix) also. Kids are gone. I wanted them but the wife said no. She said the manual doors worked very easy and she doesn't like gadgets. Go figure....
    Isinc is right if we lived in cold wet country I would have them....

TJ
  • Options
    Just keep the contacts cleaned thoroughly and they shouldn't give you any real issues.
  • Options
    dave_h2dave_h2 Member Posts: 100
    Anybody got one? I'm considering it.

Especially one with the Rear Entertainment System.

How's the engine?

My friend has an '01, with the 2.5 (I think) litre engine. I tried hard to get him to confirm that it was "weak" and "had problems" but he just wouldn't. Said the van was "fine".

Any and all info would be most appreciated.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, I do have more than one computer, so can't I have more than one screen name???

We've actually had a couple of members "talking to themselves" - usually setting up straw men and then knocking them down.

No campfires in TN but I party-hardy'd on some blackberry cobbler. Top notch!

btw, Java, Cascade Reservoir is being renamed Lake Cascade or something similarly froo-froo to attract condo buyers at the new nearby ski resort.

Sorry for the mostly off-topic ramble... didn't see a single MPV on the streets of Chattanooga.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on pwr doors. Now, we're wondering if the rear a/c option ,will be warm enough for the 3 birds. Do we need the 4 Seasons Pkg? We're traveling from snow country in NY and are going to SC.
    Thanks for all your comments- this site is great.
  • Options
    Well, I have an '03 LX and I can't say enough about it. I really like the way it handles and the excelleration is ample. I've hit 80 mph without realizing it. The ride is comfortable yet firm. I don't like vans that feel like the back end will eventually catch up to the front end. If you get my drift......no pun intended.

As far as the '00, '01 models I'm not sure. My husband and I test drove an '01 with the 2.5 liter. It basically was the same van. I did find it a bit noisier and going up hill it didn't have the same power. Now mind you, we had already driven the '03 so I'm not so sure my comparison is fair. There are folks on these boards that have the MPV with the 2.5 and they are happy.

I don't have the rear entertainment system. I'm assuming you mean the tv? I didn't feel it was worth the extra $1,000.00. I can get a portable for under $300.00 that will do the same thing. This is my preference though. I do have the six cd changer and I really like it.

I also have the auto sliders, traction control, moon roof, GFX package and the towing package. Like it all!

Lsinc
  • Options
    I have the rear a/c and heat. What I like is that it can be controlled from the front as well as the back. You can make it warmer in the back and still have the front cooler. There are 2 sets of vents in the ceiling. One set is angled towards the two second row seats and the other set is angled towards the third row seats. So if you need it warmer for the birds then you won't suffer. One of the things I learned was that no matter how small the van is (I had a Villager with no rear air/heat) you need the rear air and heat. My girls love it.

I believe you do have to go for the 4 Season Package but it's worth it.

Lsinc
  • Options
    Mazda should give you a commission.
    (seriously, I appreciate your honest assessment)

Yes, I mean the rear DVD system. I have children (9 and 7 respectively) and they will appreciate watching all their favorite video's while we are going on long summer vacation trips.

Did you reveal what your van cost you (somewhere here in these posts)?

What about this "heat issue"? Have you experienced any unusual hot air in the van?

Thanks again for the info.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have to be careful what I take. I'm on 4 meds. for anxiety. Echinacea I can take and have a bottle. I didn't start taking it soon enough though. I'm over the worst of it.......thank goodness!

Yes, 1965 and what an awesome year it was! :) What's even better is that I'm a twin. Yup, that's right folks there is another one almost like me wandering around this great country of ours! Hehehehehehehehehe!

Lsinc
  • Options
    You're welcome! No don't need a commission. I just really like my MPV and like telling folks how much I like it. I also like picking on our host Steve so I hang around. =o )

Yes, I posted how much I paid for my van and the entire deal. Since I'm so lazy and don't feel like re-typing the whole thing you can go back to April 5th there abouts and you will see my postings. It's in the Mazda MPV board not this one. If for some reason you can't find it, then I can retype it.

I haven't experienced any problems at all with my MPV. It's been a great experience. I really expected some issues as I have many bells and whistles but knock on wood, no probs.

My kids are 10 and 7 so I know what you mean about the entertainment system. We are thinking about getting the portable soon. With two kids I don't have to worry about the third row occupants seeing the screen. Most of the time the third row is folded away which is an awesome feature.

Lsinc
  • Options
    I think this is the post referred to:

lsinc "Mazda MPV 2000+" Apr 17, 2003 10:12am

Lsinc - there's another one of you out there? Better invite your twin to join Town Hall (or maybe not, lol).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    That's what good moderators do, right? (As I spend all day on this board and ignore the one I'm supposed to be looking after)

Lsinc - you are an amusing writer. I'm glad you like the MPV so much.

I'll have to take some time to read that whole thread.
  • Options
    with two of us on the loose. We are definately double trouble.

Did I really type all of that? I'm impressed to think that Steve was able to point it out so fast and put in a link.

I really do like my MPV and stick up for it all of the time. Lately though, nobody seems to be up for debates. So, I just pick on Steve. ;)

I really got into hot water a while back when I went and picked a debate with the GM Trio people. They wanted to lynch me but I was too quick for them and got away on my speedy (MPV) steed. =o )

The real fun is trying to pick on the Honda Ody. or the Toyota Sienna. Those folks get really mad. I'm behaving myself lately though. }=o )~ It must be because of my cold.

Lsinc
  • Options
    Oh my God, there is another one.... Is she the sane one? she is probably boring and streight laced... LOL

My 1965 daughter is a nut and keeps me laughing all the time and has a heart of gold... she is my favorite.
    Frankie was right, 1965 "It was a good year for .... Girls"
    Did a comet go by that year????
  • Options
    Yup, there's another one like me out there! =o ) My twin sister's name is Tracey and we are as different as night and day. She is tall and thin and I am..........ummmmmm............not tall and.....ummmm.....not thin. Not fat either! I have red hair and her hair is more of a brown but on the light side.

Believe it or not, I'm the straight laced one! Ok, no comments please! LOL! As far as sanity goes, well, everyone can figure that one out. Yup, I'm the NUT! Hehehehehehehehehehe!

Ok so there's a little info. on the "other Lsinc". She also does not drive an MPV. They have 3 kids one of them being 5'10" tall at 13 and weighs about 150 lbs. For them, it's a Suburban.

Yuppers, everyone in my family got height EXCEPT ME! My father was 6'1" my brother is the same both of my sisters are 5'5" and 5'6" and I am........ummmmmm.........5'2" ;( I think that's why I stick up for my MPV so much. Bigger isn't always better. Right???

1965 was an awesome year! What month was your daughter born in tomj5? My sister and I are March. I have also been happily married for 17 years. Our 18th is in October.

Well now it all has nothing to do with MPV problems but I am happy to report I am still having NONE!

Lsinc
  • Options
    She was born April 1st.... You can imagine the jokes that followed... The other kids used to throw her out of the second story windows to see her bounce. She is a natural acrobat... Maybe that is why she a character. Nothing dull when she is around... She likes the Mardi Grau in New Orleans. She is well endowed and brings home lots of beads. She is not shy and a knockout when she dresses up. Her daughter is streight laced, kind of plain and majoring in pharmacy at college... Her mother embarrasses her..

Yeah we got 350 miles on the MPV and no problems, runs great.....
  • Options
    mpvowner3mpvowner3 Member Posts: 11
    Hello Mazda Owners,
    I saw a news in CNN that Mazda was recalling vehicles ( with fog lights) because of faulty fog lights. Has anyone heard abt it?

Thanks
    mpvowner3
  • Options
    Watch your mailbox I guess.

Automotive News

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I'd post info on it, but... ;) j/k

The campaign's been out since March though, so you could google for it.
  • Options
    For sure get this package. It includes a oversized radiator with two fans, large battery, large washer cleaner container, rear heater system, tranny cooler.
    In hot country the extra cooling is a necessity. You must get the rear AC option but that is good.
    I would include the tow hitch. Doesn't cost that much and really is handy. It would be hard to add later.

My MPV can travel across town in bumper to bumper traffic with a jillion stop lights in 115 degree outside air temp and the engine temp never moves off normal..
    Oh yeah, get the auto mirror, it is really neat. The outside temp reading is very accurate and the compass is very handy....
    Tj
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the pkg.- It looks like we'll need it.
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    We live in Upstate, NY and own a 02 LX with the 4-Seasons. The rear heat never really gets Hot. Especially on the sub 20 degree days. You will always have warm air. My understanding from others is that this is the norm.

Mark. : )
  • Options
    steven2bsteven2b Member Posts: 2
    tranny issue by javadoc May 29, 2003 (3:47 pm)

You're not alone. My 02 MPV is on it's 2nd tranny (17K miles) and the problem still exists. Mine is pretty well behaved on the expressway, provided there are no steep hills, but in local traffic it shifts back and forth constantly. Recently, it developed a high pitched squeal when accelerating to merge onto the expressway. I'm just waiting for it to fall out on the road.
  • Options
    vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    I took my 2002 MPV in last week for the fog light recall. Once the tech got to my van, he worked with it for about 20 minutes. I tried to ask the service guy what was done with the fog lights, but I couldn't get much out of him. You think this was a top secret operation. The printouts they gave me only said recall work done but did not say exactly what. I hope the service guy at your local dealership will be more helpful.
  • Options
    There seems to be some confusion what the package includes. Here is the list that came with the shipping invoice of my car:
    1. Heavy Duty wiper motor
    2. Rear heater & A/T oil cooler
    3. Large windshield washer tank
    4. Large Radiator/heavy duty battery
    5. Heated mirrors
    6. Heavy duty rear defogger
    7. Additional cooling fan (radiator)
    8. 3000 pound towing capacity (with the tow hitch)

I haven't figured out how the mirror heaters work. No big deal in hot country.... Maybe heaters come on when the rear defogger is on????
    Tj
  • Options
    acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Mirror heaters are great. Have 'em on my Passat. When it is raining heavily and those pesky droplets are making side viewing difficult, Zap those rain drops with your mirror heaters :-)
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    the heated mirrors work with the rear defogger switch.

From the '02 MPV Owner Manual (page 3-32):
    Mirror defroster:
    To turn on the mirror defroster, turn the
    ignition on and push the rear window
    defroster switch.

-Brian
  • Options
    I guessed right... Thanks guys saved me a lot of tinkering. I could not find anything in the 03 manual..
    Regarding the above comparsion of the MPV to the Sennia. That is what I found. Compared to the MPV the Sennia is a "plain jane" with a high price..
    If I knew at time of order what I know now I would have got an ES... Next time for sure.....
    We Love our "PeeVee"
    Tj
  • Options
    Ok, I probably said this before but I gotta say it again. The '04 Sienna is UGLY! I'm sorry, but everytime I see one coming towards me all I can think of is a squished bug. The roof is so low and the headlights bulge out. I'm sure it's lovely otherwise but not by sight. What is the head clearance on the '04 Sienna anyway? It looks so low.

I love my MPV!

Lsinc ;)

Trouble Maker!
  • Options
    You are so good! Yes the heated mirrors work off the rear defroster. I love them for getting the rain drops off. Since I haven't had a chance to use them in the snow (yet) then I can't report on how well they clear off the snow and ice.

I guess you'll never get to use them in the snow? Oh darn! NOT! :o )

Lsinc
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    What's got you sold on the ES compared to the LX?
  • Options
    vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    Even though I now own a used 2002 MPV, I did check out the 2004 Sienna while searching for a minivan. I thought the Sienna is a very nice roomy van, better than the MPV. The Sienna is very nice looking, with the awsome 60/40 folding rear bench, and the motor should last a long time. My last Toyota sold 1 1/2 yr ago to a family member now has 220,000+ miles and still running strong. But I did not need a large "minivan", and was not willing to pay about $5000 premium over the MPV(new). The 2004 Sienna does have a slightly more floaty but softer ride than the MPV. I love the way the MPV ride and very easy to park. My only concern would be the Ford motor(but I will probably keep the van more than 4 to 5 years, hence wife wants me to buy a used MPV). Hopefully the Ford Duratec motor will not die on me before then(my uncle had a 90 Taurus V6 with not too stellar reliability). Otherwise I love everything else about the MPV. Happy motoring.
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I don't know why so many people seem to be so worried about the Duratec engine. This engine is one of the best engines made by any company. I'd put it up against any engine (including any made by Toyota or Honda) in terms of reliability and longevity. Getting 200+K miles out of these engines shouldn't be a problem if given normal maintenance. Don't think of this engine as being inferior simply because it's made by Ford.
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    The 90 Taurus had a Vulcan V6. A completely different engine than the Duratec.

If people would do research these types of questions would never come up. The 3.0 DOHC Duratec is Bulletproof.

Mark.
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with the Ford Duratec engine. The other thing is that Ford doesn't just take the engine as is out of a Taurus and ship it to Japan. The engine is manufactured by Ford, shipped to Japan and then modified by Mazda.

I had a Taurus (hubby said it was actually a Sable)that had the Duratec engine in it. Believe me, it wasn't the engine that went south never to return. It was the tranny.

I have been driving my MPV for almost 3 months (time flies when one is flying around yonder state) and I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with it.

Now as far as comparing it to the Sienna. I don't think it's a fair comparison. The Sienna has been placed in a totally different league. It's now a large van (I don't think it deserves the mini title). I also think they are trying to turn the Sienna into a crossover and feel it belongs in the SUV category. You can get it in AWD. In my eyes, the Sienna is UGLY to look at. I'm sure it has many pluses but it's looks are not one of them.

I got off subject again didn't I? Hmmmmmmm, ok in any case folks shouldn't be so hard on the MPV having the Duratec engine. It's a great engine refined by Mazda to go into the MPV. End of discussion. (at least for me).

Lsinc

Zoom-Zoom!
  • Options
    Here, Here Isinc, I couldn't agree more....
    Wow, someone else thinks the Sienna is ugly! I thought I was the only one that had that opinion... I learned long time ago don't buy a car that you think is ugly it will drive you nuts....
    We love our Pretty PEEVEE!!!!!
    Tj
  • Options
    What happened to the Problems forum?

<runs>
  • Options
    are certain troublemaker zoom zoom drivers!

85 in Boise today, Java. I mentioned to Nanuq yesterday that I met a 50 year Alaskan yesterday - he finally smartened up and moved here too :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    there aren't any problems to be discussed? No mechanical issues on a vehicle, wow, I think that's pretty good! :)

Well, this troublemaking Zoom-Zoom driver has had enough of the car for one day. I have been in it driving here there and everywhere all day. My MPV is tucked in the garage for the night and that's that.

I'll be back to make more trouble tomorrow just to make Steve happy. Hey, maybe we should rename this board "The MPV Troublemaker Board". I like it!!!

Oh sigh, I never get any respect. ;o )

Zoom-Zoom!

Lsinc
  • Options
    We would only need temps in the back(including the 3rd seat) of 65-69 degrees. We're traveling in Jan. Do you think the 4 Seasons will provide that? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.