Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Yes i did mean 31 mpg
  • gooniesgoonies Posts: 24
    thanx for the response. im taking it to the dealership tommorrow.
  • Got a 2000 Nissan Sentra SE with the performance package back in August and I love it. One question I've been wanting to ask. Has anyone else used the rear window defroster, and has it discolor to a white-orange yellow color on the inside edge of the defroster on the back windshield?
  • quark99quark99 Posts: 136
    Thanks for the info on the rear sway bar. One more thing....where can I buy one? I searched under "stillen" on the net, but don't see where I can buy a rear sway bar for the SE.......
    Thanks again,
    -quark
  • wazappawazappa Posts: 32
    2000 Sentra is to new for bar to appear in Stillen catalog or on website. Just call their number and ask for a sales consultant and they will be able to assist you. They do have them in stock. They also have eibach spring sets....that will probably be next for me.
  • Skuosatx,

I've used my defroster many times, and inspected it last night for discoloration, but found none.
  • Approximately how much did you pay for this rear sway bar. I am interested in getting one, but I have already put $1000 worth of extras on my Sentra. I would appreciate the info.
    The cost including shipping was $247.
  • fpm2fpm2 Posts: 13
    I've read a couple of people's post in reference to the question of reliability of the new Sentra. It is often cited that the new VW's are also built in Mexico, so buyers of the new Sentra should beware. I have not seen any patterns forming in terms of posts about reliability problems with the new Sentra. I understand that the Sentra is too new to judge, but then again, I've seen plenty of VW posts about brand new cars falling apart. Anyone want to help me with this issue?
  • dancadanca Posts: 2
    I looked at the Sentra, Jetta and Neon. All of them are made in Mexico. I'll admit that bothered me a bit. Mexico isn't exactly known for its solid engineering. I also wonder why so many U.S. car factories have moved south of the border. How is that good for our economy?

I ended up with the Sentra GXE and am quite happy with it. I have heard that the factories are just as good in Mexico as they would be elsewhere. But I don't have any proof of it. I guess we'll see with so many cars being built down there now.
  • fpm2fpm2 Posts: 13
    The engineering is actually done in Japan, the interior was designed in California, and the car is built in Mexico.
  • Do you really want to know what I paid for my with the same option. Are you sure? Well, I will tell you then.

$15100 that includes tax, lic and doc fee. Not bad. I negotiated everything over the phone.

Has any one notice any problems with the air conditioning mode. When I put in bi level a funny sound (rattling sound) comes from the duct. I have finally gotten it take care. they have to replace the eehater core, and now I smell anti-freeze. Is this normal? Now I have some rstting sounds in the dash, since they has to take the whole dash apart to repair the the air conditioning. it took a month before they finally got the part in, but it is fixed. At the sametime my horn went out. That was replaced. Still having little problems, just concerns if the car is a lemon.
  • tjsentjsen Posts: 9
    It's probably too late since you took the car in for service, but I just checked the tire pressures on my SE after about 2,000 miles. It was pulling to the left and I also thought it was out of alignment. However, both left side tires were underinflated. They each had about 23 psi compared to 33 on the right front. After I equalized the pressures the steering was dead on. I couldn't believe the tires were that low. I guess checking tire pressure was not something my dealership does. Maybe this was your problem?
  • Am I wrong about this? Please let me know:

1. Canadian Sentra SE Automatic (2001) is claimed to get 29/39 city/highway (Nissan Canada) as compared to our 24/30 - what's up with that?

2. Variable timing available only on 1.8 engines, not on the 2.0 - huh? Variable timing 2.0 available all over the rest of the world, at 187 HP - why not in US? (BTW, the New Zeland 200sx is one evil car.)

3. Canadian models get day time running lights - don't care, but still - hey now! Are we second rate?

4. Nissan Canada claims metal chain timing belts come on both 1.8 and 2.0. USA Nissan touts feature only on 1.8 - did we get gypped again?

5. 1.8 is distributorless - not so w/ 2.0 - it also achieves peak torque at lower, more drag happy RPM - why not remodify the 2.0 to do the same?

Still like the SE - fun little sucker, but hey, why is America last on the list?
  • According to freshalloy.com, the interior is a Nissan European design team job.
  • And "the car was styled by Nissan Design International in La Jolla, California"
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    the smell of anti-freeze is a leak in the blower or heater element. Neon's have the same problem, or did.

I would take it back at the soonest available time!!!

As for a lemon. you should have been given a booklet that shows the lemon laws in your state. Here in FL, if the car has been brought in 3 times for the same problem, or been out of service for more than 30days due to a repair in the 1st yr, its considered a lemon.

If you didn't get the booklet, go to the dealer and ask for one...
  • They just replaced the heater core, and I am wondering iof that could be the problem. I am thinking about waiting a couple more days to see if the smells goes away. Plus, I have been busy with work. Long hours for the military.
  • janngjanng Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 sentra GXE with about 2500 miles. I have recently noticed a smell like rotten eggs when I am stopped at a light or when I stop to park. Can anyone help me figure out why or has anyone else experienced this smell? Thanks.
  • I have a GXE with about 6000 miles, no smell here. I don't know what could be causing it, sorry. :(
  • tcflantcflan Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2k sentra with the conv pkg. it states in the owners manual that since i have the rear window defroster I should have heated mirrors. This does not seem to be true. Any Ideas
    I have a 2000 sentra se with performance package. And I too experience rotten egg smells sometimes. At stoplight, and when I shut the car off. It does it only once and awhile. Not sure what causes it, but it would be interesting to find out.
  • I have a 2001 se w/ perf package. Tonight for the first time I smelled the rotten egg smell when I shut the car off. Have either one of you had it checked to see what the problem is?
  • Does anyone know how much gas is left in the tank once the Low Fuel Light comes on. It didn't even come on until the needle hit Empty. The car has a 13.2 gallon tank and when I filled it up it only took a little over 11 gallons. I can do the math, but it still leaves me sceptical.
  • rberusrberus Posts: 25
    I have not been able to test the mirrors to see if they really are heated, I was really suprised to read that, no mention at the dealership or nissan's www site.

I think the smell is coming from the exhaust, I never smell it in the car, but often when I walk behind it to open my garage door. I'd hoped it'd go away, but 2200 miles and 6 weeks - it's still there.
  • vtec2vtec2 Posts: 43
    My 2000 SE did the same thing when I first got it. The light would not come on until the needle was on empty. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a part for the gas gauge. Don't know what part. I do know that it works fine now.

There are about 2 gallons left when the light comes on and the needle is a little above empty.

My guess is that the light is correct and the needle is confused.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    Take the car back soon. if its the heater core then the fumes will make you sick.

For all others, do you get the smell when the AC is turned on, or just off. I notice smells in my altima but most times I look around and see if there is an old car in front. it usually their exhaust. My wife's neon had the rotten egg/sulfur smell from the AC and it was the heater.
  • It's fairly common to have 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank when the light comes on. Seems every car I've ever owned had 2-2.5 gals in it when the light goes on.

It also cuts down on free tows during the warranty period for running out of fuel. :)

Regards,
    Mark.
  • I took the car to a very good foreign car mechanic and he told me that the smell is because the catylitic converter is breaking in. He also said that during the break in period it usually smells when you use a different type of gas(ex:switching from mobil to shell).
    Happyman, just how long is this break in period suppose to last? A certain # of miles or # of weeks?