Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS 300

Comments

• Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Mine too.

BTW, this car makes me happier everytime I get in it, especially after driving just about anything else. I spent a brief stint in my FIL's Z4 again this weekend; that made me about as happy, but I require more than one passenger seat on a rather regular basis!

That memory seat option sounds like a good add. Appropriate.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    If you did not know Lexus has it's own driving school. If you have never been to a professional driving school this is a great place to start. The best thing is for $395.00 you get a full day of driving, great instructors and of course drive Lexus cars.

I just completed the class on Aug 9,2003 in Wisconsin and the only word to sum it up is FUN.

http://www.lexusdrivingschool.com
  • Options
    rsr742002rsr742002 Member Posts: 64
    Yesterday I visited a FREE Road America Lexus "Learn & Drive" event (200 miles North of Chicago). Pretty cool event: free food (good quality), got a chance to drive a GS430 & IS300 a few laps of the course, free pictures, etc. The only complaint: no manual IS300 for the laps: I do not like automatics. Other than this small issue it was good time!

BTW, $395 for the school is a little steep in my opinion.
  • Options
    "BTW, $395 for the school is a little steep in my opinion..."

Admittedly not having been, I'd agree, especially considering the whole thing is nothing more than a rolling Lexus promo to begin with. But, as I said, I haven't been...
  • Options
    glicklerglickler Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy an '03 IS300 w/ 5spd. I live in Raleigh, NC. Want to know what people in the southeast are paying for an IS300. Anyone out there live in VA,NC,SC,GA or even TX and purchased one recently? I intend to take advantage of $1000 dealer rebate currently available from Lexus.

What about residual values for all you lessors - what residuals (%) are you getting on '02 and '03 IS300's?

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    You should check into Skip Barber classes and then you will know what a deal it is. It is not about test drives. It's all about performance driving and it's like nothing you have ever experienced. It keeps slipping my mind that this is an IS300 discussion and $395.00 may be a lot of money for you kiddies.
  • Options
    Sorry Jim. Obviously I really hurt your feelings without meaning to. I'm sure it was enjoyable and worth every penney for you.

So, Fred and Jmess, I made the mistake of toying with rim and tire combos online (Fred knows this already) and I'm feeling more and more impetus to follow through (silly boy that I am). SSR GT-1s - 17x8 forward and 17x9 aft, matched with S-03 Pole Positions - 235/40-17 and 255/40-17. I think I'm hooked on the wheels, but with all the rubber choices out there, the Potenzas aren't at all a given. Any thoughts my young friends? ;)
  • Options
    fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    jimxo - You misjudge us, we're not young, just cheap. That's why we like the IS300 over the 3-series. LOL.
    Actually, you are right. $395 is pretty reasonable for a high performance driving school where you use their cars (I think that Lexus provides the cars, correct?). I think the Saab Flight Academy is around $1200 for two days, BMW is a couple of thousand and the Porsche Driving Experience is something like $4000!

WB - If you got the play money and the desire go for it. I love the GT-1 and it should look great. I don't have personal experience with the S-03's (I'm too cheap, especially since the MR2 eats rear tires every 8-10K miles) but everything I have read has been positive. I just put Yokohama AVS ES100s on the back of the MR2 and am quite satisfied with them. One of these days I'll have to try a set of the really expensive tires and see if they are worth the difference.
  • Options
    Well that S-03 price tag does have a little something to do with it. It takes the CFO's attitude from mild annoyance to near hostility. ;) Then you read the reviews at Tirerack, discount about 95% of them after reading between and around the lines, and you come out just as confused as when you went in...
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I really like the GT1s and came close to buying them instead of the Volks. In hindsight I think a 17x7.5 and 225-45 on a 4 would be a good compromise for ride and handling.

A couple things to consider is being able to rotate the tires and the changes that you will get in ride quality. By having the same wheel and tire on all 4 you can rotate front to back (tires are still directional).

I find the 17x8s and 225-45s on the front really makes the car turn in better and you have a lot less understeer. It is easier to get some throttle oversteer (at least until the dam VSC cuts in). The down side is when you are puttering around town in the 30-50 MPH range you will notice the firmer ride. Not really overly harsh but definetly not stock. Going to 40 series tires would make for a little firmer ride than I have now.

A wider tire and wheel on the back would add back in some of the understeer that was taken out by the wider front wheels and tires. I would suspect that the balance of the car would be fairly similar to stock; with a lot of initial understeer on turn in. The better grip provided by the tires will also highlight the shock valving.; which is tuned more towards ride quality than at the limit handling.

You guys be careful with the driving schools; way too much fun. I started out in 1985 in a driving school. From that point on I was hooked. I was lucky enough to be able to race for 16 years; amateur road racing. I had to give it up this year to focus on work and the retirement account. The dam wife wants to retire to a house at the coast instead of a motorhome at the racetrack.
  • Options
    jmess - Actually, it's wale bate who is getting the wheels. I don't even have an IS yet.

BTW, I'm curious, you have said that the LSD is standard on the IS but it is actually an option. I want to get it but every dealer tells me they can only get it on MT cars here in So Cal unless I want to get a fully loaded one with NAV. Where are you located? Do most of the cars in your area have LSD?
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Wife and I test drove an '03 IS300 automatic last night. Had LSD and VSC. All three automatics on this dealer's lot had both LSD and VSC. I was pleased.

Fun car to drive. Nice acceleration. Great brakes. Great steering. Great handling. Rode better than I thought it would. Good headroom, even with the sunroof. Had enough room in back for out two kids.

Some gripes. Couldn't believe it used a prop rod to hold up the hood. And was very disappointed it used the space-intruding gooseneck hinges for the trunk lid. Smallish trunk that loses a lot of useable space to these hinges. And there was no lumbar support adjustment for the driver seat. And the steering wheel did not telescope. Mileage figure nothing to write home about. Only 18/24 mpg estimate. (3.9:1 Final drive gearing hurts highway fuel economy. Engine was turning over more than 3,000 RPMs at 74 mph in 5th gear.)
  • Options
    Agree with your comments...nothing is perfect I guess.
  • Options
    riez - Did those cars also have Nav? Where are you located?
  • Options
    brydymondbrydymond Member Posts: 41
    In response to Mishmia's comments about the lack of features from the Jetta GLX.

I made the same trade in and to be honest the lack of problems, dealer service, refinement and smoothness of the IS make up for the memory seats, trip computer and rain sensor ALL DAY LONG.
  • Options
    I'm hip to the understeer and shock valving arguments. I know I'm no whiz at set-up, but what you're saying makes perfect sense to me.

The wider rubber is obviously a grip enhancement for me, but also has tremendous cosmetic value, and one of the cosmetic touches I like is "M" style fat (or phat, if preferred) rubber stuffed neatly under the tail.

Probably lays me open to a charge of peddling cooked starch product, but well, so be it; I like what I like!

The rotation thing, or rather lack of it, is just something I was going to try to get used to anyway, but I definitely hear you there.

I think I may look at stiffening things up in front a little after the wheels. There is an L-tune cross-brace available from Carson; any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    WB - Actually, if you were going for the import tuner look, you'd have to put the fat tires on front, wouldn't you? :)
  • Options
    Wouldn't that block the neon?
    ;)
  • Options
    Riez, all your comments are right on. The SportCross solves some of the functionality problems with the IS300 trunk but you can't get a manual.

The IS300 is far from perfect as you have noticed. Yet a heavily discounted IS300 offers a pretty good package for the money. Even though it lacks some of the amenities of a well equipped 325, it offers equivalent or better performance (MPG not being one of them :-) for less money along with some things that you can't get in a 325 like an LSD.

I personally prefer the M3. I would take one with SMG. I exceeded my lifetime quota for manual shifts quite a while ago.
  • Options
    fredmcmurray... I live in midwest. Went to Lexus of Omaha, Nebraska. None of these cars had nav system. (Thankfully, as I don't want nav.)

Forgot one other gripe. I was unpleasantly surprised by the weight distribution. 54/46 for the sedan. Noticed the battery was under the hood, on other side of the el cheapo prop rod. Why didn't they move it into the trunk like BMW and others? They need to be serious about weight distribution. But at least they did make the rear brakes larger. Likely on that account.
  • Options
    As far as suspension tuning goes the braces are probably the last thing you want to do from a pure handling standpoint. I would recommend replacing the sway bars first. They are easy to do yourself and will make a nice improvement in the handling. I would then look at the shocks and/or springs.

The L-tuned suspension kit is supposed to be made by Eibach and you will get the same setup if you bought the Eibach Pro Kit springs (.75"-1.0" drop) and the Eibach sway bars. I currently have the Eibach bars on my car and they made a noticeable improvement in handling.
  • Options
    I too was puzzled by the proprod for the hood. The hood is actually pretty heavy and a shock setup would make it easier for somebody like my wife to check under the hood; not that she would ever do it anyway. I guess Toyota figure the cars were so reliable that you don't need to open the hood between service intervals :-)

The bigger disks in back are probably more to address braking at max gross weight; more weight in the rear. You can usually get by with less swept area for the rear brakes when you have more weight up front.

IS300 weight Front to Rear Weight distribution:

SportCross 53%/47% @ 3410 lbs
    3410 x .47 = 1568 lbs on the rear wheels
                 1842 on the front

Manual Sedan 54%/46% @ 3285lbs
    3285 x .46 = 1511 lbs on the rear wheels
                 1774 on the front

I don't know about you but the wife probably sticks 100 LBs of "stuff" in the back every time we go on a road trip?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    remember guys, the IS300 that is a Lexus here is a toyota altezza to the rest of the world. I'm sure toyota didn't deem it necessary to change the hood prop to struts. But hey, what do they know:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    inthezoneinthezone Member Posts: 21
    Hey! jmess

Where did you obtain the info on the '04 changes? I am extremely interested since I recently purchased a "SportDesign" E-shift. Paid extra for the 11 spoke wheels that was supposedly going to be unique just for this limited edition model. Do you know what the limited edition amount is for the SportDesign?

WALE: still loving my car - the only "complaint" I have is - once you get in the car you just don't wanna get OUT!! remember the scratches I told you about? well, it got fixed a body shop sprayed the entire front bumper. i actually went down to check on my baby & saw the bumper detached sitting on a stand waiting to be sprayed. the body shop owner was nice enough to explain what was going on. it looks absolutely perfect! got an IS loaner for almost 3 weeks too! (auto shop was backlogged on jobs). racked some mean mileage on the loaner!

hows the wagon?? :)
  • Options
    mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    Riez, good observations you made on the IS300. I'm surprised by the lack of standard features and minor shortcomings of the IS. Did the dealer offer you a quote on any of the ones you looked at? Hard to believe some peeps claims that IS is going at or below invoice.
  • Options
    mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    Seems like the Limited Edition SportDesign IS300 will be more or less the standard for '04. Anyone know what's in store for the '05 besides additional color options?
  • Options
    Somebody with some Lexus connections posted the 04 changes on is300.net. I just cut an pasted them here and don't know anything more about 04.

mishima8105, in 05 a redesigned IS is supposed to show up with a V6 instead of the I-6. The I-6 is based upon the original Supra I-6 and has an iron block. That is partly the reason why the front to rear weight distribution isn't closer to 50/50. Toyota can save money by having a standard V6 design. They can then play around with compression, cams, and exhaust to change torque and hp specs just like Nissan does.

The safety engineers also claim that a V-6 allows more crush space in front making it easier to exceed government crash standards. This is kind of sad because the current I-6 is very reliable and smooth engine. I have heard that even BMW could be forced down this path at some point in the future?
  • Options
    Altezza is only Japanese market. Remember, in Japan, there is no Lexus. GS model is called Toyota Arista, IS300 is Altezza, etc. BTW, in Japan there are no Acura & Infinity nameplates either (i.e. Acura RL is Honda Legend, etc.).

Everywhere else, Lexus IS200 & 300 are sold as "Lexus".
  • Options
    I am always perplexed by people getting hung up on things like prop rods versus gas cartridges. I've had cars with both and frankly, I prefer the rod. Whereas the gas cartridges seem to need replacement after 5 or 6 years, I've never had a prop rod go bad on me. On the other hand, my Maxima let me know that the cartridges needed replacement by slamming the hood down on my head.
  • Options
    That's actually about to change. Toyota is in the process of creating a Lexus network in Japan, and selling the Lexus brand in Japan by '05 I believe.

I would much prefer they went in the opposite direction and called a spade a spade, but I'm clearly in the minority on that one.

Fred:
    "On the other hand, my Maxima let me know that the cartridges needed replacement by slamming the hood down on my head..."

That explains a thing or two... :) I agree with you 100% on this one. I also can't get worked up over rain-sensing anything and the computer in our Passat was a waste of LCD. I can say, though that once you get used to having certain things around, you notice when they're not there, even if never used, but that's hardly enough reason to keep me away from a car that drives the way this one does.

Zone: Nice to hear from you. I'm still in love with my little mule too! I have read posts from people who claimed their car was so wonderful they never wanted to stop driving, but until I bought this SportCross, I thought they were just puffing. I go to great lengths to find the long way there and back on a constant basis in this car. My commute is too short. Try and find ten people who'll say THAT!

Mine was in the shop for three weeks after my Fresno incident, and I was miserable in a Grand Prix rental. It has to go back in, however. Whoever prepped and sprayed the hood and bumper wasn't the same person who did the quarter panels. The panels are perfect, but the hood has swirls and scratches under the clearcoat, and the bumper has runs under the top of the intake. :(

Jmess: the rumor of an IS430 seems ever more persistent as well around the web. Ah well, just so long as a wagon is available, I'll give the V6 a shot I guess. I wish they'd just give the I-6 an aluminum block and a maybe a slightly bigger bore, though I really don't need to up the power. Did I just say that?...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Options
    pat - You got that right, though I think my actual word choice at the time would be in violation of the TH users agreement to print.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. It is interesting to know that Japan will finally have a Lexus brand.
    It is funny but their top Toyota is not LS430-based but a 5.0 V12 trowback to the 1960's: Toyota Century (no styling changes since 1967).

How about that engine in the LS? LS500 V12 anyone?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Options
    mishima8105... You wrote, "the dealer offer you a quote on any of the ones you looked at? Hard to believe some peeps claims that IS is going at or below invoice." I did try to negotiate a sale. Would be trading in my wife's '00 323ia (50K miles). I wanted the 3.39% long-term financing thru Lexus FS. MSRP was $33,556. Invoice is about $30,605. Their initial offer was $16,500 and my car. My intial offer was $13,050 and my car. They came down to $14,500. Their final was $13,750 plus my car, but then I'd have to give up the financing and go local bank. We're a bit too far apart. I'm praying Lexus comes up with some mfgr to dealer incentives in near future to move out the '03s.
  • Options
    birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    Any word when the redesigned IS300 will be released? The rumors are for MY05. Will it come out as an early 05? Or the standard August/September release? I will be purchasing a new car next fall and would definitely be interested in the new IS300. If I was buying a car today, I'd get a G35, but I like the slightly smaller size of the IS. I need a more luxurious interior, more powerful engine, and a 6-speed manual that the current model does not offer.
  • Options
    A number of people on is300.net have talked about some form of unadvertised $1000 dealer incentive. I am not sure if this is regional or not. Anyway 500-1000 off invoice has been talked about for people getting cars in places like LA. I don't know if that included the special Lexus finance rate.

reiz, Math wasn't my best subject so I don't know how the numbers you are looking at stack up. Time is on your side though. The 03s aren't getting any newer and the end of the sales month is approaching.
  • Options
    Maybe you're in a tougher area of the country (Oklahoma) than the rest of us are. I know here in the NY/NJ/CT area they are advertsing a factory backed lease deal, however I'm not aware of any special financing or incentives. The screamer ads 'round these here parts are advertising the IS at about $1K-1.5K under invoice (from my edmunds invoice calculations) The IS seems to be a slow seller and I'm sure once September rolls around, you may be able to get the financing you wanted from LexusFS.

Thinking of getting rid of your wife's 323iA for an IS300? Don't let the guys over on the 3er & 5er boards hear about that:)

Just curious, how come an IS300? Are you looking at anything else?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy... I love I6 engines. Want LSD. Have to have 4-dr sedan. Want comprehensive safety equipment. Like the reliability. Like the CR rating (both reliability and safety). Too bad the wife has to have automatic. I'd probably not dicker too hard if I found the right IS300 manual! (My local Lexus dealers never order manuals for their inventory.) We are also looking at G35, MB C-Class, BMW 3 Series. Heck, I've even tried to talk her into a Lincoln LS6 (which are selling about $8,000 off MSRP in my area plus 0 percent long-term financing.)
  • Options
    Yeah, the IS seems like a great candidate to replace her non-SP 323iA.

• Options
    Told ya!

:)
  • Options
    sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    will be fast, but as fast as a M3 or Caddy CTS-V? Unclear at this time...
  • Options
    Not sure article really says too much officially. Appears to indicate "Lexus has tapped Rod Millen to assemble its IS 430 muscle car, which should be completed this fall." and they have to ask "Is this a production tease? We hope so.”

Will Mr. Millen's mods be Lexus reliable? Trying to remember who all Millen makes mods for. Does he do it just for Toyota/Lexus? Or also for other marques?

Noticed it gave no information on pricing. If it starts pushing $50,000, can't see it competing too well with 545i6 or CTS V. The current IS300 has interior materials and amenities in the near luxury range. And GM is offering the mid-$30,000 Pontiac (Holden) GTO with 5.7L V8, 350 HP, RWD, IRS, LSD, and 6-speed manual.

One huge issue could be weight distribution. The current I6 is 54/46. Will the V8 and mods add weight to front end? Better not add much. That could play heck on overall dynamics. BMW and Cadillac have worked hard to get near 50/50 for their RWD V8s. New BMW 545i6 is 50.9/49.1.

I'll believe it is for real when I see an actual one on sale in my local Lexus dealer's showroom. Lincoln hyped doing a 400 HP LS 6-speed back in early '02. To be done by McLaren. But the near $50,000 price and slowing LS sales overall killed the project. IS300 sales have been anything but stellar. Not sure what the IS430 project does for Lexus' overall image. Who will it bring into the showroom? Bunch of people to look at a car they can't afford? Not too many young boy racers can throw $50,000 on such an expensive toy. [And if they have tattoos, nose rings, piercings, etc., they might just scare off the ES300, RX330, and LS430 crowds! They likely won't be too hip to the F&F/2F2F crowd. :)]
  • Options
    skimmilkskimmilk Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, love these forums. Well I'm very excited -- I ordered a 2003 SportDesign (thundercloud) from 600 miles away and got a very good price! (5-speed fully loaded for ~29K) However, the dealer called me back and told me that rather than 0 miles on it (which is what I thought the car had), the car has 100 miles on it. So I called Lexus USA and they told me that the originated from a dealer that is about 100 miles from the dealer I am purchasing from, and that they hired a "Porter" to drive it from one dealer to another rather than flat-bedding it. Now I'm a little nervous and don't know what to do -- can anyone please offer their opinion on whether or not I should be concerned?
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    In the latest Automotive News, an industry publication, there is an article on future plans for every Japanese car. For the IS, it states the redesign comes in 2005 (my dealer said a fall 2004 launch) with a RANGE of engines. If you assume the 3.3 V6 will be part of the equation (or another inline 6), it would seem to me that a V8 would also be available.

The blurb also said the car will come in three styles: sedan, coupe and convertible with AWD as an option.
  • Options
    There's already an IS430 out there on the show circuit, IIRC, so stepping to a production car shouldn't be too much of a step.

Millen is responsible for much of the L-tuning, again, IIRC, and if his parts are installed by a Lexus shop do not affect warranty.

Finally, an iron block I6 v. an aluminum small block V8 might not affect weight distribution as much as you think. Maybe jmess knows the specs, I can't look 'em up just now.

M3 killer????
  • Options
    Some of the is300.net folks have expressed concern about what quality to expect from a IS300 to IS430 conversion done by Mr. Millen based upon experiences with existing IS300 based products from his company. As with any new venture there are opportunities to start on a new page and avoid some of the failings of the past?

I would think that all the engineering work would have been blessed by Toyota and Mr. Millen crew will just be following the receipe when they implant the V8. I would think Toyota isn't going to risk damaging the reputation the Lexus brand has for quality in the market place. So I expect if the 430 wasn't going to be up to Lexus standards for quality and driveability they wouldn't build it?

I too am concerned that the price as delivered for a 430 could be pretty steep. I don't recall what the L-Tuned package cost delta was but I think it was about 3x what it would cost you to do it yourself. I would think it would be at least $10K over the existing car. If it is much more than that doing a turbo conversion to the existing I-6 would be a much better deal. There are a number of well engineered turbo and supercharger kits out there that make some serious HP at the rear wheels of an IS300. The "boy racer" crowd likes boost anyway.

As far as the weight distribution for the 430, the I-6 is using a version of the tried and true iron block supra motor; which is probably heavy by today's standards. I think the V8 is an aluminum block which should help. Also an I-6 engine's crank shaft tends to be longer than a V8 which also adds weight. So the V8 might be pretty close to the I-6. There was a comment about the V8 needing more room under the hood which seems to imply the engine sits up higher, which will change the center of gravity. CG calculation use to drive me crazy in my racing days.

I guess we will just have to wait and see if and when the 430 shows up what it will cost?
  • Options
    In short no. The engine was ran in at the factory. A porter/driver wouldn't keep a job very long if they abused the cars they were delivering. From what I have seen the dealers don't have 18 year old kids transferring cars between dealers. From what I saw the drivers were women and/or retirees who do this as a part time job.
  • Options
    usaflyerusaflyer Member Posts: 1
    The dealer in my local area is selling an '03 IS 300 Sport Design with Navigation, 5-Speed, thundercloud for $30,400 including tax,tags & license. The car had 125 miles when I test drove it last week. Is this a good deal?