Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS 300

Comments

• Options
    g_frantzg_frantz Member Posts: 2
    I recently had the pleasure of test driving the IS300 at a Lexus dealership in Westchester, NY. Now I don't know if the salesman was just mis-informed or what, but the price he gave me for an IS300, with leather, sunroof, LSD, heated seats, 17' rims, floor mats, carpeted cargo mats, the works was less than 33K. Now I know the MSRP is about 35.2K and he was willing to knock over 2K off the sticker, and I didn't even ask. I just showed up, took the car for a ride and sat down with the salesman to go over the numbers. He didn't even play the game of going in the back to talk to his sales manager. He told me what the sticker was and said, "I can get it to you for under 33." He didn't mention specifically but judging by all your comments about pricing on the west coast, this sounds like a great deal.

Now as far as the no manual transmission thing goes. I own a Auto Trans Maxima now, and I swore that the next time I went to buy a car it would be a manual. However when I moved down to southern new york state in Westchester, it only took me one traffic jam on the Cross Westchester Expressway to decide that I could not deal with a manual. For me the auto with the push button shifting is something great for my everyday driving, and not too bad for those times when I get out of the city and onto some more adventuresome roads.
  • Options
    violator2violator2 Member Posts: 6
    Buy it!
  • Options
    syellownsxsyellownsx Member Posts: 16
    The only time you should wait to wax your car is if you get it re-painted at a body shop. As far as mine, I waxed it about 3 weeks after I bought it. I wash it every week, and alternate the waxings. One week I'll wax the front bumper, hood, roof, trunk and back bumper. The following week I was both sides. That way, it'll keep the car waxed without having to spend so much time waxing the entire car every week.

I drive 25 miles to work and back, with most of the highway surronded by gravel and a gorgeous view of the Pacific Ocean (Hwy 30 on Maui). No rock/pebble damage yet. Funny, I've had 2 dreams this week about my car getting damaged!?!
  • Options
    equanequan Member Posts: 6
    You may be interested in the New York Times review of the IS300 in comparison to the German cars.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/auto/wheels/082000auto-lexus.html
  • Options
    dwclarkejrdwclarkejr Member Posts: 6
    unfortunatly, i've had my car less than a full week and i've been chipped. [non-permissible content removed]!
    how to repair? touch up...?
    help!
  • Options
    c4791pc4791p Member Posts: 3
    Just saw a quick interior photograph of the japanese version IS (called the Altezza last year on introduction.) In the IS300 we all can buy, there sits that little, flat carpeted tray up at the top center of the dash. Good place to put sunglasses so they fly around in the car?

Any way, in that Altezza picture there was installed some sort of pop-up panel display. Any ideas?

Chuck
  • Options
    uofmiamiuofmiami Member Posts: 19
    That pop-up panel you saw was the NAV system screen. Why they didn't introduce it into the US market is beyond me. Hopefully they will have that as an option soon. How many cars have a OEM pop-up NAV screen? Not many, so it would be a nice feature to have if you like having a NAV system.
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    I was told that the reason the IS does not offer Navigation is because "buyers in this class dont want to pay for it" or something akin to that.

Personally, I think it ought to be offered, and from what Im starting to hear it will be...

Besides, it's a much less widely adopted technology here than in Japan.

Pop-Up NAV Screens are available in at least the Volvo S80..

Bill
  • Options
    if you're going to do it, do it right.
    know where you're going or get a map like everyone else.
    i say put a screen for a dvd player.
    they have sweet ones that pop up when you push on the top.
  • Options
    asharkyasharky Member Posts: 2
    All I see is fear from BMW fans. I noticed a message saying that the BMW straight six is much more reliable and has a longer history in a previous message in another topic. This is really quite funny. Since Toyota has been making straight six engines since the early 60's. Do you see any BMW's around from that era? I think not. I see more old supra's around than BMW can shake a stick at.

I also see people comparing M3's that have sticks to the is 300. If you take an M3 with a turbo and race it against a ALTEEZA 6spd from japan with the turbo kit. It would not survive the wake produced from the Alteeza.

How can you dare to compare a front wheel drive HONDA ie ACURA to a rear wheel drive Toyota. Their TL does not even come up to the standard of the ES 300. I have driven both the Alteeza automatic and the 328i with a stick. The Alteeza is a hell of a lot faster. It feels just as solid and handels a hell of a lot better. Hey it is also less money go figure. You can buy a prepy car that cots a fortune to repair and is slower than crap or by the more affordable Alteeza that drives so much better.

I would take a Dawoo over a BMW any day and they really suck.
  • Options
    asharkyasharky Member Posts: 2
    The reason the NAV system was yanked from the Altezza and the Celica was it is at eye level and is distracting. California law prohibits this screen in autos. Lexus only imports California cars to this country now. You will not see the screen unless the place it in the lower dash like the GS 400 / Aristo.
  • Options
    investormbinvestormb Member Posts: 13
    I have been in the market for an entry-level luxury sports sedan for under $35K. I have driven the IS300, I30-T, TL, CL-S, 325, and Maxima (all auto). Here are my thoughts:

Handling: In terms of cornering, the 325 was best with the IS second. The rest were all a notch below with the CL probably third. Acceleration had the CL-S first followed by the Maxima, TL, then the IS. The 325 and I30 were noticeably slower. This surprised me about the I30 cause on paper it should be right up there. The I30 transmission seemed very lethargic. In braking, the IS was clearly the best with the Max and I30 the worst. The others were about the same. The smoothest ride came from the I30 and TL (which probably explained their poor cornering compared to the stiffer I30 and 325). The best blend of smooth ride and cornering probably came from the CL-S.

Interior: I’ll stop including the Maxima cause it was really no comparison to the others. The only reason I drove it was because I have a 95 Max now and like it very much. I just wanted to give them a chance. The most roomy and comfortable interior was the I30 followed by the TL. The others lacked some room and comfort. The stereo and A/C console on the I30 is just like the Max’s so that was a major turn-off. But the seats were plush and there was lots of room in back and front. The IS’s interior was neat, but not exactly the one I’d want on a long trip. Ditto for the 325. I did not get the “cheap” impression of the TL that many people have expressed. I thought it was very comfortable and roomy.

Exterior: This is a close one. I like the edgy styling of the IS, the modern Euro looks of the 325, the conservative and classy look of the Acuras and I30. I guess this is personal opinion and depends on what you want the car to do. The head turner is the IS or maybe the 325. The one you want to pick clients up in would be the TL or I30. I really like the IS, 325, and I30 better than the Acuras.

Value: Of course the TL and CL win here and the 325 is the clear loser. The I30 and IS are good values but the TL/CL are off the scale.

Overall: Sticking to my criteria of $35K and under really hurt the BMW’s chances. The 330 would have likely ranked better in acceleration and overall interior. But then you would have to throw in the new C-class, Audi’s, and the GS 300. I guess the winner depends on what you value more: interior, handling, value, or exterior styling. I’m can’t decide myself. If you are a value shopper, the Acuras will be hard to beat. Those that cherish roomy and comfortable interiors may favor the I30 or TL. If you want acceleration, the Max or CL may be the one. If handling is your cup of tea, then the IS and 325 will fit the bill. I’m still grappling with this decision for myself. Of course, intangibles come into play like proximity of the dealer, maintenance costs, reliability (or the perception of good reliability), and the relationship with the salesperson/dealer. Some days I say “The TL is too cheap to pass up” and other days I say “Take a chance and get the IS”. I’ll let you guys know what I decide in about a week or two.
  • Options
    lhn5lhn5 Member Posts: 37
    Nice post. Hard to believe that huge Maxima beat the IS in acceleration. The Audi A4 even with 2.8 and Quattro would probably fit in under 35k if you want another car to try. I was told that the most stripped down GS300 you can get is still 44k sticker price, so that is way out of the range. Same price range for new C320. I think of the I30 as much more of a luxury comfort car than a sports sedan ( I am almost done with my 1996 I30 now) For the BMW, perhaps last year's 328 could be had at a bargain price now?
  • Options
    Yeah, the GS300 and C320 are way above my $35K limit. You are correct about the I30. But they do have a Touring model that they market as more performance oriented (as you know). I am definately was considering a 328, but the few that I could find are either used and abused or new and a wierd color or something
  • Options
    pluto33161pluto33161 Member Posts: 1
    It looks so cheap, like a civic!!!
  • Options
    seattlesheilaseattlesheila Member Posts: 68
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Was on holiday in Europe. My IS300 is Blue with the black leather trim interior. I would have preferred the Ivory, but I was able to work a deal on this one, since it didn't have a moon roof (factory goof, as it wasn't ordered that way). And, while everyone is comparing it to the A4, I found it more comfortable than the Audi. In addition, since I don't like driving manual transmission in town and on hills, I now enjoy the option of doing that WHEN it is convenient.)
  • Options
    obviously you have never driven one. i just recently got mine. blue w/ ivory. hey seattle, i think the black looks mad sweet too.
    but back to pluto...
    ask anyone with a civic if they've been stopped at a red light and had people drool and comment over how sweet an auto the IS is. guess what, NO THEY HAVEN'T! i thought it was BS whenever i heard stories of IS owners getting comments. then mine arrived.
    yeah CLKs and 911s are much phatter. but so's the one you're gonna see 1 minute after the last. ISs are rare, and the only people who don't like them...1)can afford much better(like an E or S class, or 5series; i'm not talking about the 3series, that's a waste of money. 2)can't afford one, or 3)already blew their wad on a 3series, a4, or C class.
    SO TAKE YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR [non-permissible content removed]!
  • Options
    I totally agree with you!...and I know how you feel about finally having something nice to drive. My IS300 is my FIRST new car...and I've been doing without a vehicle of my own for 14 years. As you might imagine, I'm having a hard time wiping the grin off my face these days.
  • Options
    mkynardmkynard Member Posts: 16
    I should have known, A BMW person. (joke) I agree totally with the 2 previous posts. I have the silver with black IS and I've said in previous posts how many compliments I get on my car especially when I'm at a car wash to do it myself. The funny thing is if the BMW people really thought the 3 series was better they wouldn't be in this forum talking noise. Probably a month ago they even had a BMW dealer on here trying to act like he was a normal consumer. But they're not worried. By the way, I just added a European rear spoiler and wood grain. Looks incredible. Now to the BMW people: I paid $395.00 for the wood grain and $495.00 for the spoiler. That's a total of $890.00 to have everything the BMW has and still be $10K less and better times in several categories. Now who's the fool?
  • Options
    Don't think I'll add a spoiler to my IS 300, but I WAS thinking of getting a tail pipe to match the wheels (brushed steel?)...if such a thing can be purchased. Haven't started inquiries yet. Would appreciate any helpful hints from "them what knows".
  • Options
    mkynardmkynard Member Posts: 16
    I'm sure they have what you're looking for. Probably the best place to go is back to the dealer to try to find out who they use for aftermarket accessories. I went on the internet for mine at TexasDar.com, they may even be able to help. I liked your comment on how you can't get the smile off of your face. I know the feeling. I've been smiling for a couple of months now.
  • Options
    The car is due for its first "check-up" on October 28th. I'll inquire about the after-market stuff. (Looks like TexasDar.com only does spoilers...but if any of you IS300 owners are considering adding a spoiler, they have a good picture so you can see what it'll look like.)
  • Options
    vladmeistervladmeister Member Posts: 4
    It has been over three months now since I leased my IS 300, and still can't find cure for the 1 and 2 gear jerk I get when I start moving. The dealer and Customer Service offer no solution.
    Is there one?
  • Options
    cdm2cdm2 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know the fair out of the door price of a IS300 w/leather and sunroof in the LA area? Thanks. BTW, I think C320 is just a joke when it comes to money..37K to start without CD, Xenon lights, and sunroof...
  • Options
    cole01cole01 Member Posts: 29
    Bought my IS last night. Will pick it up Tuesday. They played around with pricing more than I thought they would. They ended up taking $2600 off msrp. I got the black with black leather. Added sunroof, polished wheels, tint and spoiler. Salesman was telling me how they don't put clearcoat over black paint like other colors have?? They instead put 4 layers of paint. Anyone out there have the black, and what type of wax or polish have you found to work the best? I have had black cars in the past and found that not every wax is great with this color..Thanks....
  • Options
    1) I agree re: the C320. And those video screens would be totally wasted on me. Have you seen the different dashboard types (stnadard vs the black and ivory)? Thoughts? Only 100 dollar difference. I am looking in same area as you to buy in next few weeks. Leaning towards the silver, but want to see the blue and red first.

2) Cole what region are you in?
  • Options
    The car was bought in Florida. They also started running ads in our area for a IS without leather at $1200 off sticker. Are they still going close to msrp in your area??
  • Options
    I havent checked in past few weeks, but they did start running ads in general, so I guess the novelty pricing is wearing down. I would hope to get a couple thousand off sticker. I will sell my current car after I buy the new one, so I have no particular time pressure.
  • Options
    Also, anyone like the blue or red? I am concerned that they would be more prone to fading, especially from CA sun, over a4 to 5 or more years. The champagne would probably be less sensitive to that. Thoughts?
  • Options
    I think it's inherent in the vehicle. Mine does it too...but not if I just land on it and take off like a bat out of you-know-where.
  • Options
    i've had my IS for a month and a half now. the only time i had trouble with the jerky start-up was when i test drove it. there are two ways to solve this situation...
    1. test drive the dealer IS to see if it is significantly worse on yours...
    if not,
    2. press the gas pedal a little lighter and slower on smooth start-ups. it's not rocket science.
  • Options
    dfujitadfujita Member Posts: 1
    Im in search of the IS300 but when i got to the dealership the sticker price was way more that expected. I saw 35k and dropped my jaw. Can any one in california give me a idea on what they spent for this car. Please email me @ dfujita@excite.com
  • Options
    syellownsxsyellownsx Member Posts: 16
    Could it be that your engine is "cold" when this happens, or everytime even after driving for a while?

Sometimes I notice that when I'm city driving, the tranny acts up; abrupt, jolting shifts... only sometimes. Most of the time I'm doing highway driving.
  • Options
    I just bought a IS and they came over $2,000 off sticker without much dickering. I used the % over invoice stat to point out that they start at about 15% over invoice while BMW and Benz are about 10% and 7.5% respectively. They couldn't say much in response.

Also, on the topic of BMW vs IS300, I drove both the 330 and 325 and felt that the 330 cornered slightly better and I liked the looks a little better and had a slightly more comfortable interior. Notice these were all slight advantages. Then I looked at the sticker and concluded that the advantages were not worth the extra $9,000 or so. Btw, I thought the IS accelerated better, had a better transmission, and the "Sport Shift" was light years better than the BMW (IMO). If the 330 was the same price, I would probably have a BMW. But it is not and so I had to compare the IS with the 325. No comparison. The IS is less expensive comparably equipped. The 325 corners slightly better (like the 330) but the engine is extremely inadequate for a sports sedan. Also, in terms of back seat space, the BMW was easier to get in and out of, but the IS had more room behind the driver. I put the driver's seat in a comfortable position then got in the back seat and measured the room from my knees to the seat and the IS clearly had more room. Not scientific, but good enough for me. You have to be in the right market segment to like the IS. The interior is modern, comfortable, edgy, but not overly luxurious like a GS or ES. It is that way by design. One final thought. Due to its price, the 330 should be compared to the C320 and GS300, not the IS. The IS should be compared to the 325. That is my opinion because the cost of the car definitely matters to me.
  • Options
    You couldn't have said it better. I wasn't even looking at the BMW because I knew it was totally out of my price range. Some things I was looking at were a loaded Accord, Audi A4 or a Volvo S40. Fortunately, I took the time to look at the IS300. It was much more fun to drive and turned out to be just within my financial grasp(like you, I got a little discount)...and I like the interior (and exterior)just fine. :)
  • Options
    cdm2cdm2 Member Posts: 7
    I totally agree with you on what you say. The price difference between a 3 Seris BMW and IS300 is almost 9K with comparable options. 323/325 's engines are simple a "joke." My 99 Maxima has way more power than that..In my opinon, IS is definitely a "best buy" compared to a 3 series BMW, not to mention the electrical and reliaibility problems that are inherent in the BMWs.
  • Options
    The car I am replacing with the IS is a 95 Maxima 5-speed. After driving that for 5 years and then hopping behing the wheel of a 325, I thought the parking brake was still on (it wasn't). I was pleased with the power of the 330, but the transmission, especially the triptronic feature was a HUGE letdown as I said. I drove the IS after the 330 and went to the dealer with a slightly negative bias against the automatic transmission on the IS because of my experience on the 330. But to my surprise, the Lexus transmission handled the engine better than any I have ever driven. For a long time 5-speed driver and huge automatic critic like me, that is saying alot. You want to know something, cdm2? I think my 95 5-speed Max may just be able to take the IS and 330 in a drag race. Maybe.
  • Options
    With so many people posting about significant discounting, why is the Edmunds TMV still listed at sticker?
  • Options
    Hey Don,
    I certainly appreciate the suggestions about trying dealer's demo cars. Guess what? Been there, done that.They all performed just the same.

And if I try to push the pedal gentler than I am already doing, I might as well park the car.

You see, it is not my driving skills that are causing the jerk, it's the transmission problem with our cars.
    But I DO appreciate your trying to help.
  • Options
    Unfortunatelly the jerk in 1 and 2 gear is not cause by the motor temperature, it happens to me all the time I am in traffic. The techies in the California headquarters told me that it is because of the "Emission module" ( sound like a load of BS ). By the way, I also experienced this jerk during the downshifting ( just slowing down, no manual intervention ). Go figure.
    Nice car, but trannie for some reason sux.
  • Options
    The Edmunds TMV may get most of its information from higher demand areas. I don't know. THey didn't get the info from Oklahoma where I bought mine. I feel confident that if they have 5+ cars on the lot that you will be able to get a discount.
  • Options
    What has everbody been using when cleaning the interior(dash,seats,etc). Also, has anyone started the zaino maint. on the exterior?? I was told I could get a great result on my black IS. Thanks....
  • Options
    Was out driving the IS300 hard this weekend and the rough shift between 1st and 2nd didn't happen at all. I guess I'm learning to drive it correctly!
  • Options
    1702817028 Member Posts: 45
    Anyone know if there are any more normal looking back lights to buy on the market?

• Options
    I got the blue. I was thinking of green, but I think the Lexus green is really too dark for my taste...and I walked into a deal on this particular car. Of course, I'm really not worried about fading up here in Seattle. I do intend to wax it and keep it in the carport, but from what people are telling me, the Lexus paint jobs are great and they hold up very well. Anyone else?
  • Options
    Isn't that a bit like asking a gifted child to act more "normal"? :)
  • Options
    acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    Prices on the loaded IS300 are selling for $31,500 + tax and tags.

I will wait for the 2002 model before considering this vehicle. I am still waiting for the release of a particular vehicle that I am interested in testing driving and reviewing.

Regards,
  • Options
    What area of the country are those prices from (31.5 for loaded IS)? Is that for any color? The dealers in S. Cal are making it seem like the silver and blue are very hard to get. And what other car are you waiting for? I am thinking of driving the S60 before i make a final choice.
  • Options
    scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    "Japanese cars are a class lower than German cars. (and its true)"

EXPLAIN
  • Options
    fullifulli Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I understand this car handles impeccably and the engine is amazing . . . but am I the ONLY person who's noticed it looks like a glorified Honda Civic sedan (circa '93-97)?