Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• bowkebowke Member Posts: 169
    im a dealer, and i just attended the ride & drive for the '03 accord. NO COMPARISON!!! where the camry is a "smart, economical buyers decision" car, the accord has seperated itself from the camry, and most of the rest of the sedan market. performance-wise, the altima is still close, but for the same $$$ wouldnt you rather have a Honda? the new accord v6...even with an automatic...can do 0-60 in 6.57 seconds!!! (M/T 8/02) not only that, but the ride is just as smooth and quiet, and it even handles corners better than ever...

compare with the camry...192 h.p. 345 lbs. heavier...scrape marks on the side mirrors when you take a quick corner...etc...etc...etc...

game over!!!
  • ljgusaljgusa Member Posts: 6
    Planned to buy a 2003 Camry XLE V6 month ago. Got
    a quote from local dealer for $26950 with package #7,#8 and heated seat. Attracted by the ads $21750 for a 2002 Honda EX V6 and test drove it.
    I't quick, and fun to drive! Ended up buying it
    at $21300 and put the extral $5700 something into my bank account. Drive it everyday now and leave my 2001 Lexus RX 300 in my garage. Love my Honda! Think the 2003 model is even better. But couldn't resist the huge discount on 2002 ....
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    Camry is not THAT much heavier, is it? I thought they are within a hundred pounds of each other.
    toyotas ad says that they are within 100 lbs, but they are comparing the exv6 and the 4-cyl le model
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    I have sat in my Camry('99) for extended periods(it has 110,000 miles) and I agree with you. My back hurts everytime I have to sit for more than an hour. I don't want to get rid of it because of its other qualities. I have rented the new generation Camry and honestly, the seat does not feel any better. On the other hand, the problem with Accord is that I will go deaf if I have to drive it >=9 hrs!
  • stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    Perhaps I'm comparing apples with oranges; my Accord is an EXv6, so maybe there is more sound padding than in the LX? Does anyone know? But although the Accord is not as silent as the Camry around town, at highway speeds, they are about the same on smooth roads. On coarse roads, the Michelins under the Accord sing a bit, but it is still the first car I've owned where I can converse with the right-rear passenger at 75-80 mph.

Frankly, I really want to drive an '03 Accord v6. If it is as good as the rumors say, it might be irresistable. My '01 v6 is a lovely car, very satisfying, but every so often I get back in my old SHO, which my son owns now, and remember what 0-60 in 6.6 seconds feels like. If the new Accord does that, along with Honda reliability and build quality, and quieter than the '01, well....
    Actually I find our '02 V6 Accord very quiet up to about 70mph or so. (I haven't taken it beyond that speed for any significant length of time to judge the sound level at those speeds). I think the extra insulation starting in '01 models really paid dividend.
  • icstarsicstars Member Posts: 18
    It may be bad form to repeat myself on several threads, even if they are all on topic, but I drove the Accord LX 03 today and was unimpressed with handling--certainly not sporty. Also intrusive engine noise compared with competitors and highway tire sing/thrump. I would hope the EX is better, but if I have to get a V6 to better the Camry, the Camry SE I4 is the better car (for me). Camry SE is not exactly in touch with the details of the road, but it gripped well enough in turns at speed and had responsive steering. The new Accord dash gauges were quite nice.
    their suspension between when you drove it and when i did on monday...the camry was AWFUL in handling. taking a hard corner, or emergency meneuver, i practically left scrape marks on the side mirrors. i ended up almost on the passenger side in the left turns, and left an earprint on the window in the right handers. does toyota have different suspension setups for different models? i drove an xle 4 cyl.
    Bowke, I think the only Camry with the sport suspension is the SE. I'm basing this on the CG information in front of me, and the fact that I also drove an LE to get a feel for the manual transmission action (the SE I drove was unfortunately an automatic). I wasn't impressed with the LE handling, which I suspect is the same as XLE.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "intrusive engine noise compared with competitors"

the only 4 cylinder car that would be quieter than the 03 accord would be the camry and the difference is insignicant. decibel readings will bear this out in future comparison tests. i must say you have a clever username.
    i think most comparisons against the camry will be le's and xle's, with a few on the se. IMO, the se is still a buick from japan in its handling, size, and dash appearance, and will lose ALOT of buyers under the age of 85...lol.
    Venus537--thanks for the compliment : ) I won't argue with you about the noise issue--what annoys the goose, the gander might not notice....or something like that.

Bowke, certainly you're not suggesting I'm 31 turning 85?! I like the Camry interior, and the SE seems like an okay balance between professional and sporty (with extra props for high resale value and reliability ratings). Size-wise, the Camry and Accord are nearly identical--or has car-shopping too much confused me? Anyway, more importantly, where else to find sporty-yet-professional in a fuel-economic car? For example, Nissan Max's are all V6, and the only Altima on sport suspension is the 3.5SE V6 (a very fun ride, but I can't stomach buying a car that'll get 18 MPG city in this day and age--egads, I do sound old!).
    the average age of a camry buyer is somewhere around 55 right now and climbing since the redesign. im sure some younger folk enjoy the new buick...sorry, i mean camry...

i just cant stomach a ride as floaty unless im getting a lincoln or caddy...well...a lincoln anyway. honda and toyota have totally different approaches when it comes to handling. honda is willing to give up the float to get the cornering, and toyota is willing to give up the cornering to get the float. this will naturally polarize the age difference. most older folks want the lincoln ride for half the price, and most younger buyers want the fun of a good handling car.

and yes, the camry se still handles like a buick...maybe a regal, but still a buick...lol.
    It is naive to assume that it is just a question of age: there is a vast number of people out there who do not give two hoots about handling(or about cars for that matter)...all they care about is something that will take them from point a to b in comfort and/or luxury and with the minimum amount of fuss. Toyota is a natural choice for them.
    why a natural choice??? a good choice? yes. a natural one? absolutely not. if you are really talking about point a to point b, the dx accord is still sub-$16000. point a to point b, a civic dx is closer to $12500. come on.
    We must agree to disagree. If your preference is point A->B in comfort, and you do not fantasize about being an Indy driver, Toyota is a better choice. I am basing this on my experience of regularly taking day trips of over 500 miles.
  • hawks1hawks1 Member Posts: 57
    I'm comparing 4-cylinders here - could care less about the V6's. The 4's are basically the same in horsepower and torque. Everything I've read about the new Accord is very favorable, particularly their engine, tranny, and suspension. However, upon seeing one, I still prefer the Camry. The interior layout of the Camry appears roomier. I've got an XLE without a moonroof and it has more headroom than the comparable EX Accord which you can only get with a moonroof. My understanding is that it decreases the Accord's headroom by 2 inches. Also, I've got to have a large trunk and the Accord just doesn't have one - only 14 cubic feet. Lastly, I don't care for the Accord's rear end styling - too "Saturnesque" for me. Again, I'm sure it's a fine car but the above mentioned deficiencies favor my choice of the Camry.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The Camry wins in the trunk war not only because it offers more space, but also because the hinges disappear into the sides when the trunk is closed, which means it won't crush your stuff.

I was hoping the Accord would mimic something like that, but it didn't. Pretty brilliant design IMO.
    I hear what you're saying, bowke, but just to be clear: I love driving! : ) The Camry has some shortcomings as far as feel for the road, but I think I would have been happy enough all-around with an SE.....

HOWEVER.......Something rather unfortunate happened just as I was about to start bargaining....The salesperson said that they could't order the car I wanted! I am shopping for a 5-speed, and while I could order a Camry SE 5-speed, I would NOT be able to get any of the following: ABS, front side/curtain airbags, sunroof, CD 6-disc in-dash changer....well, I won't bother to go on. Basically, any stick Camry you order (LE or SE) is stripped-down. The salesperson was quick to point out that I could get a sunroof put in (aftermarket, for $600 more than list!), but I can't compromise on the safety features also listed.

So, someone a while ago wondered on this forum "who buys a Camry with a manual trans, anyway?" And now I know why very few are sold.

Well, maybe all for the best. Back to shopping......
    you may want to check out the EX-L 5-speed accord...gives you everything you are looking for except the side-curtains. dual front AND side bags, but not curtains. you get a sunroof, 6-disc changer in the dash, heated front seats, dual zone auto climate control, ABS, EBD, tilt/telescope wheel, alloys....etc... without the leather, you give up the heated seats and dual zone.

about the space...
    the accord actually has MORE interior room than the camry, even with the moonroof. (only a 3/4" difference with the roof). you can use passenger space for cargo, but do you really want to have to use cargo space for passengers?
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    you can wait for the mazda6. there's the passat, but that car can get pricey with the options you're looking for.
    One caveat about the Camry though: some people(including myself) find the seat somewhat painful on extended drives. Try it out by renting one before you buy.
  • manamalmanamal Member Posts: 426
    Well (not throwing stones) I found the lack of upper back uport in th 98-02 Accords horrible on anthing longer than a dealer test drive. That was an EXV6. I bought the 00 EXv6. Had to rig up a pillow for cervical support. Wit Camry's, you can rent..not accords though. I rented an '92 after an accident in my (SAAB), and eventually bought one.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    What's the problem with Camry seats? I sat in an XLE V-6 with leather today and the seat bottom seemed a little short--not enough support for the legs above the knee? Is that the problem people have mentioned?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I've heard many German cars are also like that, including my VW Golf. The shorter cushion allows shorter drivers to also sit comfortably.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Consumer Reports test of the XLE Camry said the driver's seat lacks adequate thigh support. That was my impression also. However, I rented an LE this summer with cloth seats and the seats seemed adequate. Curious.
    I don't know what the exact problem is. I get a backache after an extended drive. I have read about other people complaining about the seat so I know I am not alone. On the other hand, my wife has absolutely no problem with the seat.
    Could it be Japanese car seats are not really properly designed for tall American folks. Maybe why Asians and women find them more comfortable.
  • bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    i don't think that's the problem, because toyota won't (hopefully) be so stupid.

FYI i am asian, but i'm 6ft tall and have no problem with seat in camry.
    Read post # 751 in the same thread( link ). He seems to think the problem with Camry seat is due to lack of lumber support. Incidentally, I have driven the new Corolla and the seat felt much, much better than any Camry to me.
    Don't know....though I'm 5'(9", but I have long legs (comparable to my old roommate who was 6'4", and drive a MK2 GTI)....but my old 88 Camry had long seat cushions...
  • johnpjonesjohnpjones Member Posts: 2
    Some here have mentioned getting a Camry as a weekly rental. What agencies rent them? I haven't been able to find out by other web searches. Thanks.
  • moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    Got an 02 Camry from Alamo/Budget in Kansas City, KS, but I had to hunt around for it and wait a day. Had an 02 Corolla for the wait. The desk does not keep track of all the cars, and I didn't know they had any until speaking with the lot personnel.
    Many Toyota dealerships also offers Toyotas as car rentals.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The bigger ones do. And now that I think about, there are no "small" Toyota dealerships that I know of!
  • john284john284 Member Posts: 71
    Well, the Camry rear end is cut from the defunct Olds Intrigue, the Camry is plainly turning into a tube of some sort. I really prefer the Accord's design, it is younger than the Camry's.
    It looks small from outside, but just as spacious inside, as for the trunk, well, looks have prices, you could say that to VW Passat, I think Camry is losing the beauty contest, ever since it started dragging its exhaust pipe as its tail for everyone behind to see, now it has a fat behind...
  • omo79omo79 Member Posts: 5
    Whether you think it has a fat behind or not, people are still gonna buy it, if not on Toyota's reputation on safety, quality, and style alone. It's roomy and just a joy to drive! :-) Many of my friends and family have Camry also - different trims of course! :)
  • john284john284 Member Posts: 71
    Every time you do over a dip or a hump in the road, pray that your camry's exhaust pipe wouldnt hit the pavement, or since your camry's trunk is so huge, have a spare one in the trunk so you could replace the damaged one:) No offense, guys, it is Friday...I like camry, but I ended up bought a Sub Forester, my wife likes camry, but she ended up buying a 03 Accord, she doesn't like pick and choose all the options, and accord LX/side airbag has all she ask for, all she needs to do is pick the color!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Toyota may sell alot of Camrys based on quality and reputation but style has never been one of it's strengths. It's the same way with the Accord. The difference comes down to whether you prefer a sportier ride (Accord) or a luxury ride (Camry). It's been that way since the 92 redesign of the Camry.
  • dragonfiredragonfire Member Posts: 39
    john284 - I just bought a new Camry and I was worried about the same thing, but I was snooping around the boards and all the Camry owners that I read about did not have any problems. I've gone over some bumps at nominal speeds without any problems.

In terms of the Saturn rear end of the accord. I agree. but of course this is just my perception. I wish they would have designed a different back end. I can't seem to personally find a good view on the rear 180 angle view of the accord. Just my opinion though.

Anon.. - for once i agree with you : )
    The major difference is the ride! I chose the luxury ride since it will be a family car in the future! It'l also great for putting everyone in the car to sleep.. The passengers love that!

I'm a Honda and Toyota fan. Driven/owned both. Great Cars .. bottom line!
    rice_dragon: There's a first time for everything.
    may not cause any problem in most driving conditions. However, 2 situations come to mind that may require caution:

1. If you drive over an obstacle by straddling it.

2. If one of the rear wheels dips into a large enough road indentation or pothole.

Then you may be looking at getting a new pipe!
    I hope i never get in those situations!
    so if you see a dead body on the road, drive AROUND it! :)
    If that happens.... i have way more to worry about than just my exhaust! :)
  • confuseddesiconfuseddesi Member Posts: 23
    Hi Guys

I am confused in making a choice on Honda Accord EXL and Toyota Camry XLE with leather package and moon roof option.Both are Automatic. The CAMRY seems to cost 1K more than Accord.What do you guys feel about Accords new redesign? Whether the exterior design matters in resale value?and Which one would be the better the choice? Which one has the better safety features? I use my current car mostly for City use and on and off on Long distance road trips.

Bye
    too much confused
    Actually the problems were with V6 equipped Accords and only 2% of the V6's are affected in 2000-01 models. Toyota's V6's have been shown to sludge in some cases and probably about the same percentage. Though strangely, the sludge problem seemed to manifest itself alot more frequently than the Accord's tranny problem. Maybe because Honda was handling their warranty work unlike Toyota.

The Camry is a nice car but don't use the tranny problem as a reason not to buy a new Accord, especially when Honda has stepped up to the plate and extended the warranty on all possibly affected models. I had a 01 Accord V6 coupe and never had a problem with the car or it's tranny. Guess I was one of the lucky 98% that didn't.
    The 98 and 99 Accords had the same engine as well. Honda supposedly sourced out the cause of the problems and has since corrected the problem which did not exist before 00 and by the 01 models they had isolated the problem.