Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    edited April 2014

18K miles - retired rental, I bet. The bad thing about the rental LTZ is that it might not have nav. Pictured car is identical to the LTZ rental I had in LA.

I don't know if I would spend 20K on an ex-rental Impala Classic, either - even if miles are low, it just seems old now. At least it has the good engine.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094

I'm an old guy, but I don't even like nav. My daughter has used one and it's screwed her up and she's lost with a map. Give me a map, and Mapquest, and I'll be A-OK.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

Best thing since sliced bread, especially for us old guys. Hit the POI for a rest area; oh, wait, there's a McD's within a mile of the next one where I can get a senior cup of coffee. Just did that about 10 minutes ago as we're heading north toward the Mackinac Bridge. B)

I remember talking to the salesman who sold me our new Malibu three years ago, at around the time the Impalas were supposed to start rolling in. He was lamenting that he went to a class for all the high-tech stuff on the new ones, to be able to show/teach customers, and then said so many people don't even want all that stuff but it's forced on them nowadays. I tend to agree.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

I want it all. Loved the heads up display in that Camaro I rented last Christmas.

When I see TV commercials for cars that beep when you start to drift, brake for you forwards or backwards, etc., I think, "Gee, let's give drivers even more reasons to not pay attention while they're driving".

lol, I'd love to have an automous car too. I could be "driving" right now as we're crusing on I-75. Instead I'm having to surf the net from the passenger seat while my wife has to steer (really couldn't live without cruise control).

There's driving and there's "driving".

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681

I have a feeling my next new/newish car will have nav, simply because it's so common these days. It used to be a luxury car thing, but like everything else, seems to be trickling down to the masses.

I have a portable GPS that has come in handy from time to time.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

I think I'm going back a decade or two for my next car; new enough to have ABS but too old for all the nagging electronic nannies...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140

IMO, for a mass market brand car, if it crosses the 35K mark like an LTZ, it needs nav. It was exotic once, but is now just "nice". As a somewhat OCD person, I really like having no loose wires, and having everything neatly integrated into the dash. Form over function, for sure - but as someone who ranks design as feature, it is important.

I think some of the inattention aids are good and bad - they might wake up the oblivious,but will create dependency. For my new car, I want them all, just to play with them. I like how my car alerts me that I am driving aggressively when I corner outside the lines, or change lanes abruptly. With the poor sight lines on modern cars, cams and parking sensors are nice, too.

edited April 2014

@roadburner said:
    I think I'm going back a decade or two for my next car; new enough to have ABS but too old for all the nagging electronic nannies...

I dunno; I'm starting to get to the point that if I get a used car, I want one that's only a few years old, or I want to go back to something truly old school, like a '96 Caprice/Roadmaster/Fleetwood, at best. I just worry about all the obsolete "high tech" in a lot of those late 80's, 90's, and '00's cars that might be failing, and becoming hard to fix. I had stuff fail in my 2000 Park Ave, and my old 2000 Intrepid, that didn't even exist in older cars. I guess the one car I might trust across all those years would be a Ford Panther. But I'm sure even it is going to have a MAF sensor, camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, belt tensioners, etc. Heck, what ended up doing in Lemko's old '88 Park Ave was a camshaft position sensor. Or crankshaft...one of the two.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

I'm sounding like Andre's Yes man tonight, but I think a lot of auto manufacturers stop making parts for vehicles after around 10 years, so that can be a concern as well given this decades frequent complexities and changes.

edited April 2014

The more I think about it, I might be willing to take a chance on another big GM FWD car. Every time my 2000 Park Avenue has broken down, the mechanic hasn't had any problem finding parts. I'd probably be willing to go with another Park Ave if I was seeking out a used car. And I'll confess a fondness of the '95-99 Riviera. Or maybe a 2000-2005 Bonneville or LeSabre. I think the main thing that would keep me away from one of these cars, is simply the fact that I've had one already (my 2000 Park Ave) so if something happened to it, I'd want to try something different.

However, it seems like used cars are cheap enough these days, you can get a really good deal on something only a few years old, so there's not that much need to go that far back. Unless there's something from that era that really catches your eye. Back in 2012, I found this purple '94 Fleetwood with the LT-1 350 that caught my eye. Decided to hold off, though.

"The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said the Chevrolet Equinox and its twin GMC Terrain were the only midsize SUVS out of nine tested to win a “good rating” in its new tougher front crash-test rating.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner and Ford Explorer all were rated “marginal” overall, while the Kia Sorento, Mazda CX-9 and Honda Pilot were rated “poor.”

GM twin SUVs top crash test (Detroit News)

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    "The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said the Chevrolet Equinox and its twin GMC Terrain were the only midsize SUVS out of nine tested to win a “good rating” in its new tougher front crash-test rating.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner and Ford Explorer all were rated “marginal” overall, while the Kia Sorento, Mazda CX-9 and Honda Pilot were rated “poor.”

GM twin SUVs top crash test (Detroit News)

That's the new test that the IIHS started last year. According to the article, the two GM models were modified in order to pass the test. That's not a bad thing as they are expected to soldier on until 2016. The Jeep is only a year old and should have passed the test. All the others except the Sorento are older models that will be replaced for 2015 and I'm sure will pass this new test.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@robr2 said:

That's the new test that the IIHS started last year. According to the article, the two GM models were modified in order to pass the test. That's not a bad thing as they are expected to soldier on until 2016. The Jeep is only a year old and should have passed the test. All the others except the Sorento are older models that will be replaced for 2015 and I'm sure will pass this new test.

But the test's expectations of performance were announced in advance. They had time to make modifications. The test is here and now and GM made a good showing; the others didn't.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

A reporter is looking to speak with a GM owner whose vehicle falls under the recent waves of recalls, but isn't terribly bothered by it. If you can assist, please contact us at pr@edmunds.com by Monday, April 14, 2014.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    A reporter is looking to speak with a GM owner whose vehicle falls under the recent waves of recalls, but isn't terribly bothered by it. If you can assist, please contact us at pr@edmunds.com by Monday, April 14, 2014.

Hhmm, Might have to think about it. We will see

Get your name in lights. :-)

edited April 2014

I saw my first C7 on the road Thursday...west of Akron, OH on I-76. It was black with black wheels. I can honestly say that I felt a tinge of excitement being behind it...I haven't had that feeling about a new car in a good long while! I also felt pride that it's American-designed and built and considered the most American automobile that can be bought today, per a link that was posted on Edmunds a week or so ago.

edited April 2014

There was a funny fuel economy update a week or so ago for the Edmunds Z51 in the long-term fleet.

"We added 1,417 miles in March, and lowered the worst fill MPG to a new low of 9.4 mpg — as it should be." (link)

The morning newspapers (WSJ anyway) are reporting that GM's Opel unit should break even early next year, well before the target date of 2016. The Russia "situation" is about the only looming question mark; sanctions could affect the overall European recovery.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@ray80 - this might appeal to you more :)

• A reporter would like to speak to a GM owner whose car was part of the latest rounds of recalls and had all necessary recall work completed. If this is you, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, 4/15/14 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    ray80 - this might appeal to you more :)

• A reporter would like to speak to a GM owner whose car was part of the latest rounds of recalls and had all necessary recall work completed. If this is you, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, 4/15/14 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.

Kirstie - I've got an '06 ION and the ignition switch was replaced a couple years ago at my cost - I'm waiting for the paperwork so I can submit a reimbursement request. Does that count?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    ray80 - this might appeal to you more :)

This one wouldn't work. While I have read parts have started to be shipped out I have yet to receive the 2nd letter saying they are available so haven't had it done yet. (as it ended up I bit on the other one and have spoken to reporter).

edited April 2014

I have '08 and '09 Cobalts but haven't received a letter yet and I am not sure our cars are even part of the expanded recall. My service writer tells me he doesn't believe so. I like both of the cars for what they are...very inexpensive, economical cars that are quiet on the highway, get good MPG, and were built down the road from me. I'd buy again.

edited April 2014

@uplanderguy said:
    I have '08 and '09 Cobalts but haven't received a letter yet and I am not sure our cars are even part of the expanded recall. My service writer tells me he doesn't believe so. I like both of the cars for what they are...very inexpensive, economical cars that are quiet on the highway, get good MPG, and were built down the road from me. I'd buy again.

My service writer says my 08 is not in recall. That didn't match with the media accounts. However listening to the wording in more complete accounts says some 08-10's because they may have had the switch replaced with a deficient early design switch. That's a result of having the same part number on the iteration of the switch as on the original.

The key movement in my 08 has lots of resistance to movement between ACC and ON. I checked when my son was home. He does not have anything on key chain other than FOB and apartment key. His keys for his office in the student center is a card.

@Stever@Edmunds said: A reporter is looking to speak with a GM owner whose vehicle falls under the recent waves of recalls, but isn't terribly bothered by it. If you can assist, please contact us at pr@edmunds.com by Monday, April 14, 2014.

Ray80 Hhmm, Might have to think about it. We will see

Yep, must have had some sort of inkling on this one (hence the initial hesitation). The topic as presented here was fine but the prefix in published article ended up being changed a tad . I should have listened to the voice in my inner mind. Oh well.



I dunno - you come across as a pretty level-headed guy in your quote (just like you do in here :) ).

Interesting angle that some people avoid getting a recall done because they are afraid the dealer will try to upsell them more work.

NEW YORK – Diesel enthusiasts around the world have determined the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel is the top diesel car of the year and Chevrolet is the top diesel manufacturer of 2014.

“The Chevrolet Cruze Diesel, with a market-leading 46 mpg highway (5.11 L/ 100 km) is clearly setting the pace for diesel-powered cars in the United States,” said Jonathan Spira, editorial director of The Diesel Driver. “The message from our readers is clear. Diesels are back and Chevrolet is in the forefront.”

The Cruze finished with 59.3 percent of the 11,030 votes cast. Competitors included the Audi A6, A7, A8, Q5 and Q7; BMW 328, 535 and X5; Jeep Grand Cherokee; Mercedes-Benz E250, GLK250, ML350 and GL350; Porsche Cayenne; and Volkswagen Beetle and Beetle Convertible, Golf, Jetta, Jetta Sportwagen, Passat and Touareg.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Apr/0416-cd-award-gm.html

Interesting. I wonder how that will be argued on that other forum. ;)

It's a great positive vote in the eyes of the folks doing it. A slap on the back that GM has done good. I considered buying one but can't justify it for the fuel saved since I don't do a lot of highway driving compared to my short trip miles.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

my 05 GTO is on it's 4th ignition cylinder. maybe 5th. and i'm still shopping GM - luckily there isn't a caddy V wagon nearby for me to buy. :|
    GTO is not part of the steering-column/ignition-switch&cylinder recall - very different failure-mode but evidence of multiple design flaws in multiple ignition mechanisms in GM cars around that time. again a redesigned part with different part #, evidently obfuscated by the GM parts system at the time which evidently did not automatically invalidate/recall all the old parts. one time i requested the new part but dealer put in a new one with old part number. GTO people actually don't like the redesigned part either - it too can fail. Some folks modify the new part with a dremel tool to shave off some of the metal and make it less likely to fail.

@elias said:
    my 05 GTO is on it's 4th ignition cylinder. maybe 5th. and i'm still shopping GM - luckily there isn't a caddy V wagon nearby for me to buy. :|
    GTO is not part of the steering-column/ignition-switch&cylinder recall - very different failure-mode but evidence of multiple design flaws in multiple ignition mechanisms in GM cars around that time. again a redesigned part with different part #, evidently obfuscated by the GM parts system at the time which evidently did not automatically invalidate/recall all the old parts. one time i requested the new part but dealer put in a new one with old part number. GTO people actually don't like the redesigned part either - it too can fail. Some folks modify the new part with a dremel tool to shave off some of the metal and make it less likely to fail.

My 96' Grand Am ignition switch had to be replaced after it failed, this was before the recall for it was issued.

Then there was my 64' Catalina that developed an issue when I was about 20 miles from home. It wouldn't stay running in the 'on' position and I had to physicly hold it halfway between on and start to keep it running on thway way home. Interesting ride trying to keep just the right tension on it to avert any issue with stalling or getting the starter grindingly engaged (one of the few times when having an auto tranny was a good thing ;) ). Never had to replace any others ( HHR will at some point be added to list though)

The only ignition problem I've ever had was with being able to pull the key out of it while it's running. My '67 Catalina is like that, as is my '79 New Yorker. I think my '68 Dart had gotten like that, but memory's getting a bit fuzzy. I think my '82 Cutlass Supreme coupe had that "feature" as well.

My grandparents had an '85 LeSabre and an '85 Silverado. I remember the LeSabre's key would fit into the Silverado's ignition well enough that it would make the buzzer work, but wouldn't turn it on. If you didn't realize you were using the wrong key, it could lead you to think there was something wrong with the ignition.

edited April 2014

@andre1969 said: If you didn't realize you were using the wrong key, it could lead you to think there was something wrong with the ignition.

Reminds me of a cold night when I drove to Krogers. Parked on an end space next to the drive in front of the store. Came out, hit my unlock button and nothing happened. Kept hitting it thinking maybe the battery finally was worn out. Nothing. Looking in the driver's window, still hitting the unlock, I then tried the key. Wouldn't turn. Darn, did it freeze up--the little internal cover tab doesn't flip to cover the opening like it should. Finally looked up and realized the car in the next row was flashing its headlights at me while I was pressing the unlock button.

I realized a crimson pearl metallic leSabre with the same chrome wheels had parked in the row closest to the door I used. The next row was where I had parked also facing north. I sneaked away from the twin hoping no one in the parking lot had been watching me trying to enter the wrong car. There are at least 3 red leSabres with the chrome wheels that came on the Celebration package in our small town and surrounding area.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

@andre1969 said:
    The only ignition problem I've ever had was with being able to pull the key out of it while it's running.

Ditto for my long gone 1974 Monte Carlo- and my 1999 Wrangler...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

'69 VW Bus did that for me. Well, actually you could pull the entire cylinder out.

• dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498

Drove into 30-40 mph headwinds on 465 mile trip to Western NC last weekend. Came back on Sunday with a tailwind about half of what the headwind was. It affected my gas mileage about 10% both ways. I got 35.8 mpg on trip south. 40.6 on trip back (A/C used on entire trip back). This year's 38.2 avg close to the 38.5 RT average of my last year trip to same place in May. Now have 42k miles on '10 Malibu 2.4L. The 40.6 avg mpg from DIC was less than the 40.9 by fill up calculation. At the fill up, the DIC gave a 640 mile range for the 16 gallon tank. Previous top range reading is still 667 miles. Went to top of Clingman's Dome while down there. Hiked last 600' vertical on foot to tower to lookout at about 6720 feet. Higher than any other peak in the East. Drove a rental VW Jetta while in NC.

Is it true that the only people who had the ignition turn off problems with Cobalts were people who had nearly a pound of stuff on their keychains?

'96 Riv has passed 202k miles last week reached 10 years with my name on the title. Still has the same battery installed 4-7-94 at 88k miles. I put in a new radiator last month. There was so much dirt packed into the old radiator, that I later removed the '98 Mustang radiator and cleaned all the dirt packed into the fins. There was a lot of dirt that I blasted out. Also put new shocks and struts into Mustang at about 175k miles last month. Ride is much improved. Checked the radiator in the '98 Astro but it's radiator was much cleaner due to sitting 6 or 8 more inches up off the road? Still took off the front grille and flushed rad. with the hose.

dave8697, nice to see you back. I haven't seen a post of yours for a long time. I know that GM owners seem to have often left some of the other forum areas.

edited April 2014

@dave8697, I've heard that some people had issues whacking their keys with their knee.

The other triggering factor is "road conditions". (link and Reuters story)

• busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490

I was surprised to hear on the CBS News tonight that currently, 88% of the loans made to GM car buyers by GM's loan entity (whoever that is wasn't made clear in the newscast) were to buyers with a credit score of 640 or less.

edited April 2014

Dave, have you replaced tires on your Malibu? Mine look like new, tread-wise, at 42K on our '11 Malibu 4-cyl., but they are waaayyyyyyyy too noisy. I'd give up some tread life for quiet. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

UP, recently put some Michelin Defenders on my Camry which I think is fairly similar to your Malibu. They are fairly quiet, ride smooth, handle well and are kind of mid priced after rebate. Obviously, haven't driven them in snow yet (and hope not to for awhile) but from what I've heard they are probably average in it.

Thanks berri, but I'd like to know somebody who's had the tires for awhile to let me know if they've stayed quiet or not. ;)

@dave8697 said:
    '96 Riv has passed 202k miles last week reached 10 years with my name on the title. \

Dave, glad to see you're back. I had wondered what happened to you. Missed your posts.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited April 2014

loud/old tires with lots of miles/years are likely to be be 'cupped' - different tread height at front of each tread block than at the back - usually at the edge. cupped tires are LOUD. new tires will cure that of course but they may also cup quickly if alignment is out. tire rotation can help, along with re-alignment. definitely realign when you get the new tires...

as for tire brand, for all-seasons I like the stock firestones GM is using lately, fr710. 2011 cruze LS M6 is on it's second set. each set has seen lots of snow and they do fine - but they aren't blizzaks... last year i had gmc dealership install the new tires.
    this year seems like many dealerships are price-matching/competitive for new tires.

(to keep it on-topic the consideration department, it's inconsiderate to other-drivers/passengers/self to drive with too old/worn tires. especially in the rain!)

edited April 2014

I have Firestone FR's on the car now and they are very loud. I've been religious about rotation. Are they unidirectional, do you know? I've always insisted on front-to-back, rears crossed to front rotation and I wonder if that's made things worse.