Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I just bought a 2000 model and the dealer said the new ones would be in around Oct-Nov. They also have one new SUV - the Santa Fe. Much much much nicer than the CRV or RAV4!! Looks nicer and feels much bigger too....

Liking the Elantra so far. Only a week old..
  • carcarscarscarcarscars Member Posts: 1
    Hi there.
    I'm considering buying an elantra with option package 5a (ABS, CD, crz) but not quite sure.
    Resale value anyone??
    But then you do get a big bang for the buck.
    Also, it is better to buy in late September where dealers will be looking to gwt rid of their old elantras?
    Would the focus or saturn sl1 be a better deal?
    Help please...
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Well, the Saturn will give you better resale. Hyundai, being a Korean maker, doesn't have good resale value. The Focus isn't as reliable though. There have been a lot of recalls on it already. I would try the Elantra, because it provides the best combination of power, features, warranty (great!), and dollar value.
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    forget saturn. They have that "haggle-free" price, where you pay the sticker price. you cant bargain with the salesman whereas hyundai you can...all too well. if you have pacience, like i did, you can get the salesman to come a few thousand off the sticker price.
    Take the Elantra over the Saturn, and count your blessings! There is not a Saturn out there that is worth the price they ask for it. Good luck finding an Elantra with ABS.
  • tsodentsoden Member Posts: 6
    i saw picts of the new 2001. It looks pretty sharp. here is the link. i am not sure whether these features will be on the american models though since this is Huyndai's Korean site.

http://www.hmc.co.kr/eng/vehicles/product/elantra/index.htm

I am curious to find out why we don't have the option of the 10 year powertrain warrenty hear in Canada? Any thoughts? Any Canadian owners out there?
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    In my opinion 2001 Elantra's fit&finish is great.
    (many people believe that it's quality is better than Sonata's)
    I think there is no major difference in power train but interior, exterior design and handling is changed and improved.

I drove Avante 1.8dohc(135HP)which is called Elantra in U.s. It's acceleration is great.

You guys who drive Elantra 2.0 DOHC in U.S are lucky in the world. Everywhere in the world you can't find that kind of car which has a lot of convinient equipment, remakable warranty and inexpensive price.
    (Maybe you can find some cars which are cheaper than Hyundais in Europian and Asian market. You could see some cars from India, Malaysia and Thailand but they don't export their's to U.S market yet. They have same problems that Hyundai had in early of 1980's)

The other tip(?) is that next generation Kia Sephia will share platform with Elantra as same as Kia Optima,which will be imported to U.S soon,shares platform with Sonata.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    My new C&D issue stated that for 2001 the wagon is dropped but it will be replaced with a 5 door hatchback. Anyone else heard about this? I haven't even seen any pics of an Elantra 5 door hatch. This would be an interesting option for sure. Much sportier than the wagon, yet still offer more cargo space than the sedan.
  • tsodentsoden Member Posts: 6
    Yeah I saw picts of the hatch back. Not sure if I like it as much as the new sedan.... Must say that the new dash board look quite cool.
    I invite you all into the "2000 hyundai elantra vs. ford focus zx3 forum". I created it and you can argue which is better because they are both the best deals out there now.
  • jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    I have to admit that the 2001 MY is extremely impressive inside and out. It has that European styling that will definitely give Civic, Sentra, and Corolla a chase for the money, provided that this 2001 has a much refined engine performance. I would not mind trading in my 2000 for the new generation of the Elantra. Thanks for sharing the link, Tsoden.
  • opa1944opa1944 Member Posts: 16
    I am still curious to hear what deals are around for Elantra 2000 with auto, cruise, mats, spoiler and alloys. Last month I paid $13k out the door (8 1/2% sales tax). I am in LI, NY.

Anyone want to share some information???

Thx,

Opa1944
  • jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    I, too, am impressed with the new pics of the 2001 Elantra. I wonder what the differences will be in the US version... like the black trim, which I'm not too crazy about. The interior looks great, esp. the bluish dash which resembles the VW Jetta and Passat. I'm also interested if the US version will include that spiffy electronic auto climate control- who knows. This car looks like it'll definitely be more expensive.

There's apparently a 3-day info session which a bunch of U.S. Hyundai tech people will be going to at the end of September. They'll find out more info about the Elantra and the other new Hyundais. If I find out anything, I'll post it.

JEFF
  • myrjermyrjer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Elantra and have only 2 complaints. The armrest and the tilt steering. The steering wheel doesn't tilt up high enough for me cause I am over 6 feet and I have to kinda slip my right leg out from under the wheel. I love the car though. It is loaded including CD player, moonroof, electic door locks etc. I have 12,000 miles on it and no problems. I expect this car to go a long way with faithful oil changes ( I change any car's oil at 3,000 miles) and good care. I guess Hyundai might expect the same since they had the kahoonies to slap a 100,000 mile warranty on it.
    Bottom line: Most car for the money I could find
  • jkobtyjkobty Member Posts: 99
    Looks very sharp. I saw it today also on Speedvision. They had the leather version with the fake wood accents inside. If Honda, Toyota, Nissan, And Mazda don't suddenly get a stroke of genius and redesign all their 2001 models, 2001 is going to be a very sad year for Japanese imports.
    I have only one complaint about the elantra....the paint job. I think its kind of cheap. It scratches too easily. When i wash it, it seems to leave marks in the paint, if you look at it close enough. I use a cotton soft cloth and armor all car wash (the blue stuff) and dry it off with a synthetic shamiu. However, the car is also black, which i think shows it more. Anyone else in here experience the same thing with their elantra, either black in color or not? appreciate input. thank you.

however, this is the only problem i have with the car. i have almost 6,000 miles on it and it runs beautifully, tight handling and great gas mileage. Hyundai has really cleaned up their act since the excel
    I got the Slate Gray because my last car was black. ANY black car leaves those swirls......I don't care if it is an M-B or Lex. The slate gray pretty much always looks clean. The chrome on the car really makes it shine too...

I have not seen any scratches yet, but the car only has 750 miles on it....;)
  • jomykejomyke Member Posts: 1
    Hi Elanta00, I have been reading these Elantra threads for awhile. I just got my Elantra Wagon about a month ago. I have almost 2,500 miles on it and about 4 car washes. I really haven't noticed much in the scratch department from the washes (mine is also black), at least not much more than most black cars (your right in my experience black shows the scratches better than other colors). However this beast is still young and I'll keep you informed if things change.

On the other hand the car has been great, we took a trip around Lake Michigan over Labor Day weekend (which is why I have so many miles in a month) and it handled as well as I would expect any car to handle. Was able to get 32.67 mpg and did passing with little effort.
    do you guys (and gals) recommend Mobil One for my first and future oil changes? Will that kind of oil really help a Hyundai engine?

Any feedback would be great!

Also - at night, does the dial that controls dash board lighting, does the dial itself light up? Mine doesn't, and I am wondering if their is a burnt out bulb, or if it is not supposed to light.

Also - do you find that when you think the car is empty, that when you fill up with gas, it only allows you to get about 9 or 10 gallons in? My gas light only comes on when the gauge says that the car is on E. Not near E, but ON E. Is that normal? I don't really care...it definitely makes it so that I won't run out of gas :)

I do all city driving, and I have been getting 27 mpgs.....I am told this will get better when the car is broken in.

Thanks
    Well, first off, oil is oil. What i would be more concerned about rather then the brand is the viscosity of the oil. For summertime and warm weather, I put in 10W-40. For winter, I put in 10W-30. In my old car, I put in the cheapest oil i could find along with the cheapest filter and i had no problems with it. Obviously, with a new car, you would use better stuff. I either put in Castrol or Quaker State. Both are excellent, so i put in whichever is on sale :) I put in a Hyundai Oil filter. Purolater filters are good too, if not the Hyundai filter

To answer your next question, no, the dimmer switch light does not light up.

Gas guage light....I can't emphasize this enough to my friends. NEVER EVER let your gas go down to the E mark or gas light come on. The way the gas is sucked into the engine from the tank is off the top. If you have just a little bit of gas, it slushes around on the bottom...so if you are going up a hill and it falls to one corner of the tank away from the fuel line, your engine could misfire and cause damage. DONT LET IT GET THAT LOW...Especially down the line years from now...Again, since gas is taken off the top of the tank, it fills from top down. so whatever gas is on the very bottom is never burned, so it sits there and can collect debris that can clog your fuel line. THIS IS BAD. It'll make your car stall and stutter.

27 mpg is pretty good for city driving. Average i believe is 25 or 26.

Good luck with your car....how many miles now? i got 5,200....no complaints. runs awesome :)
  • 3274632746 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought an Elantra GLS this past Saturday. I need a car to get me to and from work, which is only 3.9 miles away from my house...what a blessing that is!
    I tried to start my car at lunch time and guess what? I couldn't. The car was definitely cranking but would not run for more than a few seconds. I cranked it several times until I realized I was not going anywhere.
    Has anyone else experienced such thing? I called the roadside assistance people and they towed my BRAND NEW Elantra to the dealership. Everyone is amazed that the car only has 100, yes, 100 miles and this happened to it.
    The service manager is running a bunch of tests and will let me know tomorrow what is going on. I must say that the dealer (Bill Bryan Hyundai World in Winter Park, FL) has been very pleasant to work with.
    I'll let you all know what happens next.
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    about recommending the Hyundai Elantra to my friends.

Last Saturday afternoon the rear window of my Elantra shattered. As far as I can tell, nothing or nobody touched it prior to it falling onto the rear deck in a zillion pieces. I call my Hyundai dealership (Southland Hyundai of Benton, Arkansas) and told them about it. They said that yes, the glass is covered under the warranty, but only if you can prove that it shattered because of a manufacturing defect. The service manager said "Call your insurance company". Well, I've got a $500 deductible on the car, and the window cost me $380 out of my pocket. How are you going to prove there was a manufacturing defect, let alone when the largest piece of glass itself is no larger than a pencil eraser???

To date, I've had the following problems on my 7-month old 2000 Elantra w/10,000 miles:

A/C relay went out, 1,200 miles/1 month

Pulls to left after dealer rotated tires (they claim there is no problem), 6k miles/4 months

Driver's door actuator went out... I can't lock the driver's door. They 'forgot' to order the parts... still waiting after 5 weeks! 9k miles/6 months

Paint on upper two power window switches has started to wear off... parts on order, see above. 9k miles/6 months

L/H passenger door won't unlock with remote. Service department "hopes" it will be fixed by replacement of driver's door lock actuator. 9.5k miles/6.5 months.

My problems have been relatively minor... no engine or transmission problems. But the service/parts department at the dealership has been less than desirable. And their service prices are very high, even for a dealership (oil change... $25.00).

Not bashing Hyundai the car or company... but it's sad that you have minor problems on an automobile and you have to fight to get them fixed.

I've got a 2k Daewoo Nubira, and it has been flawless since day 1. 6 months, 9k miles and not one problem.
  • imp4avimp4av Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Elantra in 2000 and have been really happy with the performance UNTIL recently when I started to hear a pinging/tapping from my back-end when I slowly apply my brakes. I don't have anti-lock brakes and the noise doesn't seem to affect the way the car performs, but it is frustrating to purchase a new car and have to bring it into the shop for service with only 1K miles on it. Anyone else experience this problem?
  • drimpledrimple Member Posts: 47
    Back windows sometimes just blow out for no apparent reason. If the window has a defect it will shatter when the conditions are just right. I remember as a kid that the back window on my parents Plymouth Volare station wagon blew out as we were driving down the road. Of course you can't prove a manufacturing defect, so just like my parents you are stuck paying for the window.

I think that you have a lemon car. I haven't heard any Hyundai owners that have had as many problems as you have had. You might want to check your state's lemon laws and see if there is some action you can take to get things rectified.
  • jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    My Elantra has had minor problems too, especially in the upcoming cold weather of Michigan. In the early morning to work, the accelerator spring would squeak slightly as you apply more gas. That always happens in the cold morning and I bet it has something to do with the spring expansion coefficient. As the cabin gets warmer, the noise is gone.
    Within my first six months, the "Check Engine" light came on. It was almost nerve-wrecking because I was halfway to my workplace (20 miles). I drove the car back to the dealership that late afternoon and the technician had to replace the spark plugs and wires for a suspected misfire potential. They didn't even bother to explain in details why this defect came about. It was covered under the warranty. My perception with warranty: That's the way the car manufacturers protects themselves against inconveniences resulting from defects in production and development. Technicians at the dealerships can fix them so easily. The dealers can easily fix you up with a rental car for the day, but I always get annoyed by the lost time and hassle. I bought the Elantra because it reminds me of how simple driving can be and not solely based on the warranty.
    During the wintertime, I had occasional incidents of unlocking my car even when the key got into the lock. It just couldn't unlock the front driver door. I had to unlock the front passenger door and get in from there. About five to six times in Dec-Feb.
    The radio antenna would sometimes get loose and I will hear annoying rattle as a result of it when the car goes over speed bumpers or runs into small road holes.
    I've driven a Cavalier rental car and it cools the cabin so fast I had to turn it off after a while. My Elantra's AC is so-so.
    I understand quality problems because I work in a quality control department and it's amazing to note how inconsistent problems are from one production to another down the line. Just to show that a car can never be defect-free.
  • jdouglasjdouglas Member Posts: 5
    Okay...I'm in the market for a cheap new car. I have a 2000 VW GTI VR6...but I'm finding insurance on a new "performance" car somewhat high, without the performance I want.

So...to fix this, I'm getting a 91-92 Galant VR-4 to turn into my fast car, and will be looking for another new car on the low end of the price scale that has some reasonable options.

But I love hatchbacks...they're awesome! So what's this about a 2001 Elantra Hatchback? Has this actually been confirmed by anyone? This sounds like exactly what I need. If anyone has seen pics of a 2001 Elantra hatchback online, please post a link to them...I need to know more about this thing!
  • jpprivatejpprivate Member Posts: 10
    Yes, I had the same problem (it sounded to me more like a knocking). First it was the left side, the dealership machined the brakes. Then (3 weeks later) on the right side. But it went away after two weeks and never came back.

2000 Hyundai Elantra, 1600 miles.
    I notice that my Elantra is not the most quiet car. But I have to remember, I came from a 99 VW Jetta VR6. The VW was solid and quite insulated. It also cost more than twice as much as my Elantra. So, yes, I hear it when the suspension moves over big bumps. I can hear my brakes. I can certainly hear the engine. But - I knew what I was in for.....I kind of enjoy the fact that I am driving a car that is very rudimentary...quite simple. No traction control - no ABS - no power moonroof. Kind of eases my mind - nothing terribly complicated to break down. I know from experience, all cars have mysterious noises that crop up, then some dissappear. Heck, my old car used to have mysterious smells....then they would go away. I will take a little road noise over foul smells anyday...:)
  • jpprivatejpprivate Member Posts: 10
    The survey shows the number of problems buyers have within the first three months of ownership.

I can tell you my story: I bought a Hyundai Accent in 1995. After one month I had a problem with the clutch. I brought it in and the dealer machined the flywheel. After that, I never had a problem again. My Hyundai Accent has now 75,300 miles on it. Besides for regular maintenance, I never brought the car in again.

So, I guess my car would have been part of the quality problem statistic. But I am still very, very satisfied; considering I paid little over $8000.

Bottom line, Hyundai is for people who want the most bang for their buck; people who are economically minded. - I am not sure if I would by a Hyundai SUV, though. Part of the idea of having an SUV is to show off. That's still kind of hard with a Hyundai :)
    when I bought my Elantra a few weeks ago I saw one at the dealer. Much MUCH MUCH nicer than anything in it's price range. I even like it better than those Mazda Tribute/Ford Escapes. The Santa Fe was SOLID. BLOWS the RAV4 and CRV away. I kind of wonder what those two are even in the market for anymore....yes the RAV4 has been redesigned, but jeez, Hyundai and Suzuki have V6's, better performance, better warranties, better looks, and much better prices. Go for the Santa Fe. I think that Hyundai is betting a lot on this truck, so I have a feeling that they are making quite sure that it will prove solid and reliable.
  • jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    jdouglas-

Yes, there is indeed at hatchback coming for the 2001 model year- I'm eyeing them myself. I'm not positive that it will be in the U.S., but I think so. More details on the U.S. release of the new Elantra will be available by the very end of September.

Visit the Korean Hyundai Elantra site (in English) and go to the exterior section. There are two small pics of the hatchback... a side and rear view, both with a spoiler. Here's the link.

http://www.hmc.co.kr/eng/vehicles/product/elantra/index.htm

There are other pictures of the hatchback elsewhere... can't remember where I saw them. Here's my question: (I've never owned a hatchback) Do the rear seats typically fold flat?

JEFF
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    This months Car and Driver said that the Sante Fe had a car like ride. I got the impression that they liked the vehicle. Unfortunately, the article didn't have a tone that was lauding. It pretty much was straightforward. Can't help but feel if this was from another make they would be praising the vehicle.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Since I have only owned hatchbacks, I feel I can give you some insight on your question. The answer is: it depends on the car. A typical hatchback with a folding seat works in the same way as one does in a sedan. In other words, it doesn't fold completely flat. My Accent's rear seat doesn't fold flat. My VW Rabbit's does, but thats because it folds, than flips forward to take up the space where the rear passenger's legs normally are (an ingenious design that I wish was more common). A lot of it has to do with the shape of the bottom cushion. Anyway, more than likely you will end up with a seat that doesn't fold completely flat.
  • sfprestonsfpreston Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Elantra is flawless, outside of it's soundproofing for road noise. It delivers 28 mpg in mixed driving and I put over 16K on it, without a problem. It cost me less in 1999, than my 1986 Chrysler LeBaron 2.0L Turbo did when I bought it new even though the salesperson was my sister. It totally outperforms, outhandles, gets an extra 8 mpg, has greater passenger comfort and is more reliable than the Chrysler new. Needles to say I'm happy with it. I am looking into the Sante Fe in 2001. It looks like another bargain. I am convinced that Hyundai will make it reliable as well.
  • doitmyselferdoitmyselfer Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to buy 2001 elantra.
    I did an analysis of overall price of elantra vs. honda,toyota (civic,corolla).

elantra civic/corolla
    buying price $11K $14-15k
    +gas money $3K $2.5K
    -resale value $4-5K $7-8K

overall, $9.5K $9.5K
    ---
    note gas money is based on 50000 miles divide by 26mpg for elantra and 33mpg for civic/corolla. * 1.5 dollars per gallon.
    resale value is after 5 years/50000miles.

So, basically it is the same price.
    Anyone got something to add??
    ----
    One concern I do have is the warranty, I read on another board that hyundai require all maintenance to be done by them in order to claim any warranty, is this true???
    I have something to add. Elantra is better on gas then the corolla and civic, I believe. Also, it depends on long you plan on keeping the car. If you are like me and going to keep it until its dead and buy another car in about 5 years and keep this as a daily driver till the engine dies, then who cares about resale?

About the warranty, you can do maintance yourself, but they can give you a hard time and use that in their favor if something goes wrong with the car saying you fouled something up. So just keep accruate records and recipts of all work you done and stuff you bought for it. It also depends on the dealer. Dealers are better then others and some will give you a hard time. Baseing this on your forum name, if you do everything yourself on the car and god forbid something breaks and the dealer gives you a hard time, just bring it to another dealer and see what he can do for you. like i said, some dealers are better then others. Good luck in your buying purchases. If not the elantra, the corolla is an excellent choice. very reliable, just pricy. Dont buy a civic. Everyone and their brother drives one of those. also underpowered and overpriced.
  • selinajoy1selinajoy1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2000 Elantra seven months ago and it now has just over 8,000 miles on it. I love my car, but I have had nothing but problems with it. I've taken it in for repairs more times in the last six months than I have in the last five years with my 88 chevy Cavalier that has over 180,000 miles on it.
    It started with little things, the broken spoiler break light, an over sensitive alarm system, and an annoying ticking noise from the dash.
    They replace the speedometer, and the ticking noise is still there, so we're taking it back in.
    Then one day the engine started jerking, seizing and wasn't shifting gears right (it's an automatic) and stalled a few times. Then, it wouldn't start at all. I live in a small town and there is only one guy in town that can work on Hyundai's under warranty. He, of course was on vacation that week, and roadside towed my car 140 miles away to have it repaired. It turned out to be a cracked assembly coil.
    Now, the cruise control jerks. Like it accelerates and then brakes every few seconds.
    On top of all that we were driving home the other night and the doors locked and the alarms started going off while we were driving. And, for five minutes we kept turning it off and it would start again. Off and on, off and on...
    I am so frustrated with the darn thing!!

I do have to give my thanks to Roadside assistance though. When they towed my car 140 miles away to have it serviced I had no problems getting a rental car, and they towed my car back to me when it was fixed. So, that eases my pain just a little.
    Has anyone else had similar problems, or did I just get the lemon of the lot???

Selina in Flagstaff
    Here we are...it is now Tuesday, 9/19/00. I spoke with the service manager yesterday and they have determined that the engine's electronic control module is bad, therefore the car CAN'T run. They have to get the part and that should take care of the problem.
    Talk about a pain in the neck! I will certainly write a letter to Hyundai and let them know how I feel about this situation.
    Keep in mind...the car has 100 miles (ONE HUNDRED).

• liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    Sorry to hear about the problems you were having. With these kind of problem, I would be warry as well whether more problem will appears later on.
    Installing new electronic control for the engine which may solved the gear & cruise control probleam, but that should not have anything to do with the alarm & door locking problem.

If the problem persists, I would be definitely inclined to try pursue the lemon law, after reasonable attempt by dealer to fix the problem.
    I don't know about the Hyundai, but my Daewoo's alarm system is tied into the Engine Control Module for whatever reason. It may be possible for one to affect the other.

I have also had my alarm arm itself on at least one occasion. It is in the shop as I type.
    are tied to the ECM because if the alarm goes off, the starter is disabled......that is the way that the alarm makes it so no one can start the car if the alarm has been triggered, right?

Needless to say, my 2000 Elantra did not come with one. I seriously doubt anyone will want to steal it ;)
  • umchand2umchand2 Member Posts: 7
    There's no way the Elantra is going to have better gas milage than a civic. The civic's lighter and has a 1.6L instead of a 2.0L
    And i also happen to own both so i know which one sucks on more gas. With todays gas prices I wish I had and Echo....nah, and lose to and Elantra at the lights.
    Elantra uses about 10%-15% more gas than the civic.
    Note: these are automatics
    Got mine fixed at the shop yesterday. Bad driver's door lock actuator kept the alarm from activating. Just for grins, I tried to activate the alarm with the car running, but it won't. If your alarm activated while the car was running, there is a serious problem. Don't know about a starter disable feature... I haven't read about one in the manual.

Also while at the dealer they replace the power window switch module. Seems as thought the black paint on the switches was wearing prematurely.

Found out the reason my car pulls to the left is that I have a bad tire. But they don't replace tires at the dealership... have to find a tire dealer that is authorized by Michelin to take care of that part of the warranty. At 7k miles they had rotated tires front to back, and the bad tire was put up front. They swapped them back yesterday, and the car drove straight as an arrow.
  • doitmyselferdoitmyselfer Member Posts: 7
    I saw an ad for that at L.A. Times.

How much did you pay for it??
    Ok! I got the car back yesterday. The interesting part is that I have no alarm, no keyless entry...just the plain old car.
    The service people wanted me to wait until early NEXT WEEK to get the car out of the shop, since they had to order a brand new ECM. My response: "I don't think so, homey!" I called the Hyundai office in California and explained my situation. They got involved and wouldn't you know it, they were going to cannibalize one of the cars on the lot for the part so I could get my car back right away. The problem is now solved and I have my car back. The dealership had a 2001 Elantra on display and what a beauty it is!
    I must say that customer service has been a welcome surprise with Hyundai, from the roadside assistance people, to the dealership and the corporate people. I hope they continue to strive for excellence!!!

After having the 7.5k mile service performed on my Elantra (the one where they rotate the tires) I complained that the car was pulling to the left. They drove it and said there wasn't a problem. At 13k miles I bring the car in for the alarm problem and complain again that the car is pulling to the left still. At this point they verify my complaint and tell me it is a tire warranty issue and not their problem.

Today I go to a Michelin tire dealer, who verifies I indeed have a bad tire and because my tread has worn beyond the "free" repair period, the tire with mount and balance will run me $45.

Does this sound fair? I have to pay almost the full price for the tire as I would if I bought it on sale elsewhere because the service department (Southland Hyundai in Benton, Arkansas) balked when I advised them I had a problem.

I like the car... I hate the service department.

AND... they did not fix my alarm system 100%, so it has to go back to the shop!

Arrrrrgggg!!
    you got michelin tires on your car....not fair! I got hancook tires. They suck. I was driving in the rain the other day. i was going around a turn at 15 mph and the car started to fishtale. luckily i know how to drive and regained traction. However, the tires dont grip the road enough and lose traction too easily. i peeled out the other day w/o even trying. Other then the tires, which can be replaced easily, the car performs excellently. better then my cherokee!

Other then that, no problems yet on my elantra. Then again, i baby it. wash it once a week, shift at 3,000 rpms. dont go above 65 mph. still brand new to me and i going to have it for a mad long time, so got to keep it new as long as possible.

by the way, richsap, did you put on those hyundai factory fit foglights? if so, how did it go. appreciate the comments. Thank you
  • groove518groove518 Member Posts: 7
    I've had my 5-speed 2000 Elantra for about 3 months and have already put 10,500 miles on it, most of it highway miles including two long East Coast to Midwest trips. The car has been flawless. Mileage has been consistently 33-35 mpg on the highway and 28-29mpg in mixed city/highway. I've been driving 70-85mph on the PA, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois turnpikes and my Elantra handles smoothly and without strain. Really don't have a single complaint so far.
    Have to admit to being lazy lately... the Hyundai OEM foglight kit is still in the original box, keeping dust from settling on the carpet next to my desk!

I was waiting for cooler weather to install the kit, which I figure to be a 6 hour job. But now that cooler weather is here, I want to go outside and play!
    I took my Elantra to another Michelin dealer this morning, who guaged the tire and said I had enough of the original tread left to have it replaced under warranty. The other dealer, although telling me I had MORE tread left on the tire, also told me that the tire was worn beyond the 25% the manufacturer allows for complete, no-cost warranty service. Me thinks he was trying to rip me off! Either that or one of them doesn't know how to read the spec. sheet on the tire.